CNN dumps senior editor over Twitter eulogy of Hezbollah radical; Update: CNN says Nasr didn’t run Mideast coverage

posted at 5:15 pm on July 7, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

For the third time in the past few weeks, another media figure finds herself out of a job after comments about her personal perspectives on issues within her area of coverage got exposed.  The case of Octavia Nasr may be the most disturbing and the most revealing yet.  Unlike the scandals involving Helen Thomas or Dave Weigel, Nasr’s role as senior editor could seriously damage the credibility of a wide portion of a major media outlet’s coverage:

In the latest case of new media (or oversharing) gone wrong, CNN’s Senior Editor of Mideast Affairs Octavia Nasr is leaving the company following the controversy caused by her tweet in praise of Hezbollah leader Sayyed Mohammed Hussein Fadlallah

Mediaite has the internal memo, which says “we believe that her credibility in her position as senior editor for Middle Eastern affairs has been compromised.”

Nasr tweeted this weekend: “Sad to hear of the passing of Sayyed Mohammed Hussein Fadlallah… One of Hezbollah’s giants I respect a lot.”

The memo from Parisa Khosravi, senior VP of their International unit, makes it clear that this was no resignation:

I had a conversation with Octavia this morning and I want to share with you that we have decided that she will be leaving the company. As you know, her tweet over the weekend created a wide reaction. As she has stated in her blog on CNN.com, she fully accepts that she should not have made such a simplistic comment without any context whatsoever. However, at this point, we believe that her credibility in her position as senior editor for Middle Eastern affairs has been compromised going forward.

Like Thomas, Nasr was not a new face in journalism.  She had twenty years with CNN.  Unlike Thomas, Nasr had a role that helped shape CNN’s overall news coverage of the Middle East.  As a senior editor that apparently reported to a senior VP, Nasr presumably had a hand in story selection, assignment, and editing and shaping the final product from her reporters.

Neither Thomas nor Weigel had anywhere near that kind of influence over news reporting at their respective outlets, which makes the credibility issue much more serious than in the previous two scandals.  After having outed herself as a Hezbollah sympathizer, which is certainly the rational conclusion of Nasr’s Twitter message and subsequent explanation, doesn’t CNN owe its viewers and readers a complete accounting of their coverage in the Middle East and a complete explanation of Nasr’s role  in it?

Furthermore, the very fact that she offered that message in a public forum speaks to Nasr’s odd conception of how Hezbollah should be presented.  It’s an Iranian proxy terrorist army, run and funded by the mullahs in Tehran.  Nasr seems to believe that the consensus opinion of CNN’s audience is that they are a heroic band of freedom fighters with an unfortunate bent towards misogyny.  If that was her worldview, shouldn’t CNN have known about that either before or after putting her in charge of the news reporting from the region?  It’s certainly good that we’re finding out about it now.

I suspect that Mary Katharine Ham was correct in her assertion during my show today that a lot of bloggers are going to start reviewing their notes about CNN coverage of Israel, Lebanon, Iraq, and the entire region in the context which Nasr’s messages reveal.

Update: Fixed some subject-pronoun agreement issues in the first paragraph.

Update II: You have to love this pushback from CNN, via the New York Times (h/t Jake Tapper):

Despite her senior editor title, Ms. Nasr did not run CNN’s Middle East coverage, a spokesman said. She reported and provided analysis about the region for CNN’s networks.

So why didn’t they call her a “senior correspondent” or “senior analyst”?  In journalism, the title “editor” means something specific — someone who provides management of the news.

Update III: On the other hand, Tapper tweeted that titles don’t necessarily connote responsibility in news orgs these days.  However, after 20 years at CNN, one might think the title of senior editor might be reflective of more than just her seniority, but we’ll see.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

SURPRIIIIIIISSSE

SDarchitect on July 7, 2010 at 5:18 PM

CNN is the ‘teabagger network’, right? I don’t think this firing (as reasonable as it is) will re-establish CNN’s ‘credibility’.

chaswv on July 7, 2010 at 5:19 PM

Score one for us.

MeatHeadinCA on July 7, 2010 at 5:20 PM

She’ll be on Al-Jazeera in 3,2..

Caper29 on July 7, 2010 at 5:20 PM

Fair and balanced, right?

iurockhead on July 7, 2010 at 5:22 PM

That is a surprise – I would have expected her to get an award or a raise instead.

Vashta.Nerada on July 7, 2010 at 5:22 PM

Wasn’t Condoleeza Rice friends with a Palestinian terrorist? The fact is that if you have personal contact with any of these people you will quickly forget that they are your (country’s) enemy.

aengus on July 7, 2010 at 5:22 PM

Most reporters are liberals so this isn’t too shocking.

taney71 on July 7, 2010 at 5:23 PM

After the stories of how CNN twisted reporting in Iraq for a decade or so, it is very surprising to see CNN bother to fire her.

Why bother now?

Freddy on July 7, 2010 at 5:23 PM

Ed, are you serious? Don’t you have to have some credibility before it could be damaged?

dirtseller on July 7, 2010 at 5:24 PM

aengus on July 7, 2010 at 5:22 PM

Honestly, I’ve never heard that before. Do you have the name? It’s not that I don’t believe you, I just don’t know.

MeatHeadinCA on July 7, 2010 at 5:24 PM

Good riddance. A nice job open now for someone in need! Think how many jobs would be created if we canned all the useless idiots!

scalleywag on July 7, 2010 at 5:24 PM

Nothing to see here, keep moving along…..

tommer74 on July 7, 2010 at 5:26 PM

Isn’t being sympathetic to terrorists and militants compulsory for the MSM?

tru2tx on July 7, 2010 at 5:26 PM

“… doesn’t CNN owe its viewers and readers a complete accounting of their coverage in the Middle East and a complete explanation of Nasr’s role in it?”

Remember back in the day when CNN refused to report the truth about Saddam Hussein just so they could say they have a bureau in Iraq…?

… I think their reputation as a propaganda machine and minister of disinformation will continue untarnished.

Seven Percent Solution on July 7, 2010 at 5:27 PM

The internet is proving to be an enemy of the Liberal Media.

BAN IT!!!

portlandon on July 7, 2010 at 5:27 PM

So who will replace her ?
Rashid Khalidi ?
Cynthia McKinny ?
Jodie Evans ?

macncheez on July 7, 2010 at 5:27 PM

Credibility
Not
Necessary

Guardian on July 7, 2010 at 5:29 PM

It started with Eason Jordan and nothing has changed since.

Jim-Rose on July 7, 2010 at 5:30 PM

Alas I can’t find a link for it.

aengus on July 7, 2010 at 5:30 PM

She respects this Hezbollah?

RBMN on July 7, 2010 at 5:30 PM

caper29,
A Czar for Obama more likely.

rob verdi on July 7, 2010 at 5:31 PM

she will shortly resurface, will blame the zionists, neocons, AIPAC and G.W. Bush for her firing

runner on July 7, 2010 at 5:31 PM

CNN’s “coverage” of the Middle East has included:

1. Deliberately ignoring (for an entire decade) Saddam Hussein’s atrocities against his own people, solely so they could keep their precious Baghdad Bureau open.

2. Longtime non-objective “reporting” from the region by Christiane Amanpour.

3. Having their CEO resigning in disgrace after falsely claiming US troops “murdered” Iraqi journalists.

4. Showing in prime time videos they received from terrorists in Iraq, showing the sniper’s eye view of American soldiers just before they pulled the trigger.

It’s no wonder they’re the “news source” of choice for Democrats. After all, a lie isn’t a lie, if you believe it.

Del Dolemonte on July 7, 2010 at 5:31 PM

Well, Elliot Spitzer got a show on CNN, so who will fill the void left by Octavia Nasr?

Jeremiah Wright?
Osama Bin Laden?
Lockerbie Plane Bomber?

portlandon on July 7, 2010 at 5:32 PM

The internet is proving to be an enemy of the Liberal Media.

there’s a “kill switch” in the works

runner on July 7, 2010 at 5:32 PM

I think all of the freaks really came out of the woodwork in 2008. They all believed their own BS and when America (52% of it anyway) finally swallowed it all, hook line and sinker, they now seem to feel free to say and do what they really wanted to all along.

These firings/resignations are all just a smokescreen of “harrumphs!” by formerly respected institutions trying to cover their collective backsides. 2008 was the first presidential election featuring YouTube. I really believe that single fact is the reason Obama didn’t absolutely crush McCain by 10-15% of the vote. With the 90% positive coverage Obama recieved, he still only won by a couple of points.

so-called MSM networks have slowly begun to get overrun by an army of Davids cross-linking to eachother.

Mord on July 7, 2010 at 5:32 PM

The surprise is her being fired, not her sympathy for an anti Israeli organisation. I wouldn’t last 2 seconds before my pro-life, pro- Christian, pro-Israeli views were made public but then again I wouldn’t aspire to having my name and face plasterd all over the world.

fourdeucer on July 7, 2010 at 5:32 PM

I heard that Octavia Nasr’s qualifications will end up earning her a big job at NASA.

portlandon on July 7, 2010 at 5:32 PM

But Fox is a biased propaganda arm of the Republican party.

Still taking those Crazy Pills.

WitchDoctor on July 7, 2010 at 5:32 PM

I think we are making progress. If this had happened a year ago, CNN would have kept here and called us racist tea-baggers.

jukin on July 7, 2010 at 5:33 PM

I blame NASA..

the_nile on July 7, 2010 at 5:33 PM

caper29,
A Czar for Obama more likely.

rob verdi on July 7, 2010 at 5:31 PM

Good point. NASA Czar.

Caper29 on July 7, 2010 at 5:34 PM

Alas I can’t find a link for it.

aengus on July 7, 2010 at 5:30 PM

Well, if you do and you see me around, send it to me. Curious. Part of me doubts it, but not like 90% doubt. More like 51%.

MeatHeadinCA on July 7, 2010 at 5:34 PM

Nice to see that she admires people that would stone her to death for even looking like she does in that picture. What a moronic fool.

echosyst on July 7, 2010 at 5:34 PM

portlandon on July 7, 2010 at 5:32 PM

I thought you were joking… then I didn’t… then I did… now I’m confused. Is portlandon telling the truth? Anyone???

MeatHeadinCA on July 7, 2010 at 5:35 PM

It started with Eason Jordan and nothing has changed since.

Jim-Rose on July 7, 2010 at 5:30 PM

Actually it started earlier than that, in another part of the world. See “Peter Arnett” and his story about the US nerve-gassing civilians in Laos.

Del Dolemonte on July 7, 2010 at 5:36 PM

This needs to be said. CNN ratings stink. The problem is not what she said at all.
Some advertiser says they are leaving and the dollars hurt.

seven on July 7, 2010 at 5:37 PM

you’re not kidding…

paraphrasing laura ingraham

JUST SHUT UP AND REPORT!

cmsinaz on July 7, 2010 at 5:38 PM

MeatHeadinCA on July 7, 2010 at 5:35 PM

It was a joke. But the fact that you and I wondered if it might possibly be true, is scary.

I know it scares me.

portlandon on July 7, 2010 at 5:38 PM

Not necessary. 1. Israel’s evil, period. 2. The US is evil when it tries to stop radical Muslims. 3. Iraq is evil when it establishes democratic institutions.

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on July 7, 2010 at 5:39 PM

She’ll be on Al-Jazeera in 3,2..

Caper29 on July 7, 2010 at 5:20 PM

a lateral move for her, eh?

cmsinaz on July 7, 2010 at 5:39 PM

Well….it’s not like almost every other person working within the msm community doesn’t feel the same way Nasr does. Nasr was just stupid enough to twitter it.

However, as one previous poster has said…it’s rather shocking that she didn’t get a promotion or raise for her opinion. I’ll be watching, as I’m sure her name will come up for a pulitzer, or nobel some time soon. UGH!!

capejasmine on July 7, 2010 at 5:39 PM

jukin on July 7, 2010 at 5:33 PM

My thought presactly! In fact, I was thinking that it’s taking a whole lot less time for them to throw they’own under the bus as we expose the cockroaches. In the words of the recently reborn senior senator from Arizona, “This, my friends, is good news.”
Drip, drip, drip.

Chewy the Lab on July 7, 2010 at 5:40 PM

I know it scares me.

portlandon on July 7, 2010 at 5:38 PM

I say that there is at least a significant chance this won’t be the last we here from Octavia…

MeatHeadinCA on July 7, 2010 at 5:40 PM

Wasn’t Condoleeza Rice friends with a Palestinian terrorist?

aengus on July 7, 2010 at 5:22 PM

Not sure about that, but our 39th President sure as heck was. In fact he was the first one to welcome a terrorist to U.S. soil.

brtex on July 7, 2010 at 5:40 PM

capejasmine on July 7, 2010 at 5:39 PM

more than likely

cmsinaz on July 7, 2010 at 5:41 PM

I know it scares me.

portlandon on July 7, 2010 at 5:38 PM

I thought you were serious. Don’t you think she would fit right in with the ‘new nasa’?

lukespapa on July 7, 2010 at 5:41 PM

She’ll be on Al-Jazeera in 3,2..

Caper29 on July 7, 2010 at 5:20 PM

Nope. She’ll be writing for Huffington Post by Monday.

Gregor on July 7, 2010 at 5:43 PM

The Helen Thomas Effect.

Dr Evil on July 7, 2010 at 5:43 PM

echosyst on July 7, 2010 at 5:34 PM

Second look at sharia?..

the_nile on July 7, 2010 at 5:43 PM

There is no amount of context that would change the meaning of her words.

chemman on July 7, 2010 at 5:44 PM

When was the last time some mainstream media journalist was ever accused of doing something too pro-American???

TedInATL on July 7, 2010 at 5:44 PM

I love the defense of her remarks:

Regret tweet about Fadlallah death bc I didn’t explain specific respect for standing up for Muslim women.

I’m sure all is forgiven since you respect a murderer for standing up for women. Heck, even Charles Mason had a women on his crew, I’m sure we can all respect him for that.

smfoushee on July 7, 2010 at 5:44 PM

The Helen Thomas Effect.

Dr Evil on July 7, 2010 at 5:43 PM

The “I’m free to vent my islamic fundamentalism officially, thank you Obama” effect.

the_nile on July 7, 2010 at 5:46 PM

Why bother now?

Freddy on July 7, 2010 at 5:23 PM

A very good question.

Unless the patriotism fairy has sprinkled the entire CNN senior staff with Yankee Doodle Dust, why the sudden change of heart?

Dark-Star on July 7, 2010 at 5:46 PM

Hate to break it to CNN, but your credibility was compromised a long time ago.

GarandFan on July 7, 2010 at 5:48 PM

Hate to break it to CNN, but your credibility was compromised a long time ago.

GarandFan on July 7, 2010 at 5:48 PM

amen!

cmsinaz on July 7, 2010 at 5:49 PM

She respects this Hezbollah?

RBMN on July 7, 2010 at 5:30 PM

Worse she supports the guy (Fadlallah) who supposedly was responsible for the Beirut bombings (LA Times).

amerpundit on July 7, 2010 at 5:49 PM

Remember the Eason Jordan revelation of 2003: CNN covered up Iraqi atrocities for access. No major journalist covers southern Lebanon without doing the same for Hizballah. Or in Gaza for HAMAS.

Beagle on July 7, 2010 at 5:50 PM

Journalists…what kind of definition would be give them now…activists? supporters? political operatives? lobbyists? Agents of change? It seems anything but reporting.

The blog on Chris Matthews and Palin ties directly into this…if Palin runs the media will destroy her, as if that is a common role of the media.

right2bright on July 7, 2010 at 5:52 PM

Del Dolemonte on July 7, 2010 at 5:31 PM

Good post. Amanpour did the simply awful Generation Islam. If you want to see CNN institutional bias on parade, search Generation Islam Amanpour.

Beagle on July 7, 2010 at 5:53 PM

Beagle on July 7, 2010 at 5:53 PM

FIFY. Perhaps more hits will come up.

MeatHeadinCA on July 7, 2010 at 5:55 PM

Now she can go to work for NASA.

BKeyser on July 7, 2010 at 5:57 PM

this sends an important message to all members if the MSM:

limit your bias to actual “pseudo-reportage” and you’re safe; come out of the closet with your bias and you’re toast.

cnn’s coverage of thew al dura hoax and jeningrad and the recent “east” Jerusalem building permits proves they’re firmly on the islamo-thugs’ side.

nasr blew their cover so she had to be canned.

reliapundit on July 7, 2010 at 6:01 PM

She’ll soon be manning the Israel desk at MSNBC.

Akzed on July 7, 2010 at 6:07 PM

On the backs of giants, right?

Vera on July 7, 2010 at 6:07 PM

Now she can go to work for NASA.
BKeyser on July 7, 2010 at 5:57 PM

!!!

Akzed on July 7, 2010 at 6:08 PM

SHE CAN GET A GIG WITH HELEN THOMAS!

reliapundit on July 7, 2010 at 6:08 PM

CNN has been extremely questionable in its coverage of the war on terror for the last 10 years… Amanpour and the rest of the liberal hacks should all be forced to resign.
Bye, bye!

Travis1 on July 7, 2010 at 6:15 PM

I love Twitter and Facebook. They’re like some kind of digital truth serum.

Sharke on July 7, 2010 at 6:22 PM

So what? Our president is a big fan of terrorists, too. He even had one write his most popular book.

Daggett on July 7, 2010 at 6:25 PM

..you know it’s pretty serious when this broad sends 140 characters (or less) and gets shown the gate.

The War Planner on July 7, 2010 at 6:39 PM

2. Longtime non-objective “reporting” from the region by terrorist sympathizer Christiane Amanpour.

There, that’s better.

scalleywag on July 7, 2010 at 6:40 PM

Gee, that’s too bad./

tessa on July 7, 2010 at 6:41 PM

She was the moderate reporter at CNN.

faraway on July 7, 2010 at 6:43 PM

I am sure former jew-hating CNN reporter Christiane Amanpour will be outraged.

ClassicCon on July 7, 2010 at 6:44 PM

Where is jimbo3? Shouldn’t he be here asking 100+ red herring questions in this woman’s defense?

Inanemergencydial on July 7, 2010 at 6:52 PM

George and Barry’s people will find a job for her somewhere…probably making more than she is now.

Dr. ZhivBlago on July 7, 2010 at 6:56 PM

She’s probably just going to replace Helen Thomas…

Claypigeon on July 7, 2010 at 6:59 PM

The education system’s indoctrination of false self esteem enforces upon the victim an attitude that their ‘opinion’ is valid regardless of reality or logic. Ms. Nasr’s behavior is indicative of this paradigm.

TinMan13 on July 7, 2010 at 7:06 PM

And how did you like the great reporting of CNN’s Nic Robertson and Michael Ware? Remember them? All of these enemy loving left wing jerks did nothing for our cause in the war. Yet they were all awarded journalism awards….
Good Democrats all.

Travis1 on July 7, 2010 at 7:12 PM

Why bother now?

Freddy on July 7, 2010 at 5:23 PM

CNN must have realized that they can either get better at Israel bashing, and watch their rating continue to go down, or get better at balanced reporting and see their ratings go up.

pedestrian on July 7, 2010 at 7:13 PM

This is what happens when U.S. -based transnational media are more concerned with embracing diversity and multiculturalism than with allegiance to America and Western values. Expose them all!

Connie on July 7, 2010 at 7:16 PM

FIFY. Perhaps more hits will come up.

MeatHeadinCA on July 7, 2010 at 5:55 PM

Yeah, that cow is a real piece of work…..

BigWyo on July 7, 2010 at 7:19 PM

Eh, they shoulda kept her. They’ve got no credibility left to lose in their Middle East coverage. We watched Christiane Amanpour practically have sex with every jihadist she interviewed for years and years. Nothing made her hotter than a hairy misogynist terrorist choppin’ off someone’s head with one hand and beatin’ the hell out of a woman with the other. Every time I watched one of her reports I thought to myself, she’s gonna bang that POS as soon as the camera is shut off.

Rational Thought on July 7, 2010 at 7:21 PM

Well Nasr is Lebonese. Guess where Hezbollah is based? Wonder if she had anything to do with the photoshopped pictures attempting to show Israeli atrocities during their brief war with the Hezbollah.

docdave on July 7, 2010 at 7:25 PM

They only dumped her because she exposed her self.
They really dont give a damn, they are probably angry that some people may say that she was overly sympathetic to hezbollah, “but her professionalism” (coughcoughcoughbs)
did not allow that to cloud her views.”
That is all, there is no there there, move along.

ColdWarrior57 on July 7, 2010 at 7:33 PM

The internet is proving to be an enemy of the Liberal Media.

BAN IT!!!

portlandon on July 7, 2010 at 5:27 PM

Correct. The internet has become the great equalizer.

The other thing which helps conservatives are all of the personal “status” messages throughout numerous web pages and applications.

Those status messages are like crack to narcissistic and codependent liberals. They can’t help but feel the need to tell the world how they feel about every little thing, because after all, the world revolves around them.

I’m so happy Al Gore invented the intrawebz!!! Little did he know how it will be the downfall of his own ilk. /s

ButterflyDragon on July 7, 2010 at 7:35 PM

I am sure former jew-hating CNN reporter Christiane Amanpour will be outraged.

ClassicCon on July 7, 2010 at 6:44 PM

I fully expect Christiane to offer her a position with her new show on ABC. Fact checker or something like that.

ButterflyDragon on July 7, 2010 at 7:38 PM

I truly hope that CNN had the courtesy to forewarn other networks/journalists in the M.E that they were going to fire her. If they knew she was “shaping” M.E. reporting they are going to be quite miffed that she is gone. A miffed Muslim is nothing to sneeze at.

journeyintothewhirlwind on July 7, 2010 at 7:41 PM

When I read someone over at CNN was crying over a Hezbollah leader dying I thoguht it was par for the course at CNN and expected them to give the person a hug not fire them. I read in the article from Ed that it is serious because she is a senior editor which doesn’t register much with me but I guess it did with Ed AND…. the people at CNN who fired her A$$ toot-sweet! Liberals are surprising sometimes I guess they thought this would result in money bags flying away from CNN and the trumped all.

Conan on July 7, 2010 at 8:03 PM

A youthful indiscretion to impress both NASA and her coward bosses.
It’s like Pravda firing a reporter praising Khruschev…

mjbrooks3 on July 7, 2010 at 8:13 PM

She looks like a rodent, and if we want a mole we should hire Anna Chapman

clnurnberg on July 7, 2010 at 8:32 PM

I believe these “journalist” are comfortable in this Progressive environment, that they don’t have to pretend anymore. Good for CNN…

d1carter on July 7, 2010 at 8:55 PM

It should be a real simple eulogy, too…

Sayyed Mohammed Hussein Fadlallah – good riddance to bad trash.

And that is showing way too much sympathy in my book!

ajacksonian on July 7, 2010 at 9:11 PM

CNN was also one of the networks that always reported Israel’s retaliation to Katyusha attacks as “Israel attacks Gaza,” and barely ever mentioned the rocket attacks that were happening every damned day.

The whole lot of them are terror-sympathizing anti-semitic sacks of dung, this one just got herself caught.

Merovign on July 7, 2010 at 9:35 PM

There was a story on HA recently in which an industry inside suggested that we don’t know the half of how crazy-left most journalists are, and that when you get a couple martinis in these idiots you find out what they really think about global politics.

Wish I could find it but I can’t. Anyone remember the story or the context?

Jaibones on July 7, 2010 at 9:38 PM