Obamateurism of the Day

posted at 8:05 am on July 5, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

You know an executive is in real trouble when he tried to bolster confidence by asserting that without his expertise, the current disastrous situation would have been … somehow more disastrous. It’s as if the head coach of the Detroit Lions tried telling the city that without the kind of leadership that took them to a 2-14 record in 2009, they might have finished 0-16! Barack Obama tried that last week, as Allahpundit noted, and it’s worth an OOTD revisit:

Er,sure, pal.  Let’s remember that this was the economic genius who claimed that spending $800 billion of taxpayer money that didn’t yet exist would keep that unemployment rate below 8%, too — and now we’re supposed to be glad that unemployment isn’t 13% or 15%?  Just to make the point clear, let’s recall the chart I published on Saturday which shows exactly how Obama’s economic leadership has “improved” American employment.  Look at the percentage of the civilian population that is participating in the workforce:

The red star shows when Congress passed Porkulus, and as everyone can see, the percentage has dropped steadily except for a dead-cat bounce in 2010Q1 — and it’s dropping again now.  Remember that the unemployment rate only counts those who are actually participating in the workforce, which makes the 9.5% level just announced seriously misleading.  If we counted the people who were in the workforce when Obama took office, it would be in solid double digits.

As for the Dow, of course it looks a lot better than it did a year ago today — but perhaps Obama should have checked its performance over the last few months before bragging about it:

Looks like we’re heading back to Square One there, too.

Comments

There were plenty of warnings that the injection of further stimulous would create a double-trough recession. The Big Government intrusions on the market have simply prolonged the agony of a correction.

onlineanalyst on July 5, 2010 at 8:10 AM

What’s he going to do once it does hit 12-15%, tell us that we should be happy that it’s not 18%? We should be thanking him, perhaps?

ted c on July 5, 2010 at 8:11 AM

“You know I love ya, baby. I wouldn’t leave ya. It wasn’t my fault. Honest! I ran out of gas. I had a flat tire. I didn’t have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn’t come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car! There was an earthquake! A terrible flood! Locusts! It wasn’t my fault, I swear to God!”

tpitman on July 5, 2010 at 8:12 AM

Purple tie: dog whistle to the SEIU brotherhood

onlineanalyst on July 5, 2010 at 8:15 AM

Bumbling fool. When he’s off his teleprompter his real brainpower comes out clearly. Notice, too, the bobblehead fools in the picked people sitting behind him. Dumocrats, union pimps and mindless robotic creatures from dreamland. Yes, lady keep nodding your head yes and watch our nation dissolve before your jaded vision.

wepeople on July 5, 2010 at 8:16 AM

So….he’s saying we shouldn’t be upset. We should be grateful things don’t suck worse than they do. Hmmm….I bet if the country had fully recovered by now he’d be taking credit for it. I would have been first in line to congratulate him on a job well done if he would have made the government step aside and let the free market recover itself.

CarolinaGirl6 on July 5, 2010 at 8:16 AM

Unfortunately that’s been the attitude of the Lion’s coaches and management over the past 50 years. Hey, we won 3 this year, that’s a 300% improvement over last year. I only hope that my grandson’s children are able to see the Lion’s win a championship, in their lifetime. I’ve given up on seeing that in my lifetime.

flytier on July 5, 2010 at 8:16 AM

That would make a great campaign ad: Obama promising unemployment at 8% back to back with the clip above. What a looser.

parteagirl on July 5, 2010 at 8:18 AM

Obama in 2008: The oceans will recede, the planet will begin to heal, all hail my magnificence!

Obama in 2010: Hey, at least we’re not all underwater you wingnuts! That was all me, okay?!

Good Solid B-Plus on July 5, 2010 at 8:18 AM

You seriously have to wonder where in the hell is he getting his information from.

Or if he even bothers to read it prior to making it part of whatever bloviating speech he is giving at the time.

pilamaye on July 5, 2010 at 8:18 AM

tpitman on July 5, 2010 at 8:12 AM
It’s 106 miles to Chicago, we’ve got a full tank of gas, a half a pack of cigarettes, it’s dark outside and we’re wearing sunglasses. Hit it!

flytier on July 5, 2010 at 8:19 AM

Is there some subtle symbolism behind the red star or is it just the first shape grabbed in excel?

Red Star Falling

ted c on July 5, 2010 at 8:19 AM

Another campaign ad:

The oceans will recede…. I can’t suck it up with a straw!

parteagirl on July 5, 2010 at 8:19 AM

ted c on July 5, 2010 at 8:11 AM

He’ll celebrate.

And no, I’m not being sarcastic.

That is the plan.

The sooner people figure this out, the sooner we can get this guy impeached.

The sooner we get him out of office, the sooner we can turn back this marxist tide and put our economy back together.

turfmann on July 5, 2010 at 8:22 AM

Its like Global Warming, they can’t prove it but act like its a fact.

rob verdi on July 5, 2010 at 8:23 AM

parteagirl on July 5, 2010 at 8:18 AM

Bingo…great idea. How would the Dems explain that?

Grace_is_sufficient on July 5, 2010 at 8:32 AM

CarolinaGirl6 on July 5, 2010 at 8:16 AM

Didn’t this boob already tell us that we should be thanking him?

onlineanalyst on July 5, 2010 at 8:33 AM

What I wanna know is how much of that crap Obama, himself, actually believes. Like, is he just lyin’ his a$$ off or does he really think it’s reality.

JimK on July 5, 2010 at 8:34 AM

“Let me be clear, I never said that unemployment would not exceed 8%; I said that employment would not exceed 8%. Get your facts straight, wingnuts.”

GnuBreed on July 5, 2010 at 8:34 AM

The Obama administration is built on blaming the straw man and using the negative that can’t be proven.

At what point in this election cycle will the Democrat’s message become: “It would have been even worse if Republicans were in charge of the White House and Congress”.

albill on July 5, 2010 at 8:38 AM

Thge rambling of a babbling buffoon. Nothing more, nothing less. Ariel Durant said, “A great civilization cannot be conquered from without until it destroys itself from within.” Barry Soetero is getting it done.

volsense on July 5, 2010 at 8:39 AM

He keeps telling us how much we suck, that things are going to keep sucking, and that new government intervention and regulatory Hell is coming next year (unless they can pass it sooner)!

So why would
- people feel optimistic?
- people spend money?
- businesses hire new people?
- businesses take on new risks and expand?
- the American economy grow?

This Cheerleader-In Chief… really sucks.

rockbend on July 5, 2010 at 8:41 AM

but people believe him. even unemployed people believe him. My Pelosi-enabling congressidjit, Perriello D, 5CD VA, is running on platform of creating jobs. Unemployment is greater here now than when he took office.

stupid, you say. well, many voters believe this

kelley in virginia on July 5, 2010 at 8:46 AM

Biden (overheard at the custard shop): “I’ll take a double-dip, smarta**.”

onlineanalyst on July 5, 2010 at 8:47 AM

Unemployment extension fails == huge numbers of folks kicked off == “surprising drop in unemployment numbers!! “

(See ?!?! Quit Spending and the economy bounces back !)

CaveatEmpty on July 5, 2010 at 8:48 AM

tpitman on July 5, 2010 at 8:12 AM

LOL, great movie.

Kafir on July 5, 2010 at 8:48 AM

I’ll be optemistic on NO-vember 3rd… the morning after…

Khun Joe on July 5, 2010 at 8:50 AM

Second bonus item I stumbled upon sometime over the weekend from dshort.com – the S&P “neckline” theory portends another bear market.

steveegg on July 5, 2010 at 8:53 AM

I’m going to give a copy of this book to all my Lib friends:

visions on July 5, 2010 at 8:57 AM

I’ll be optemistic on NO-vember 3rd… the morning after…

Khun Joe on July 5, 2010 at 8:50 AM

I’ll be a little less pessimistic on January 3 when Pelosi is no longer Speaker. Until then, all three saws of the POR Troika will remain at work tearing down the country (don’t underestimate the power of the lame duck this time around).

steveegg on July 5, 2010 at 8:58 AM

Actually, U6 unemployment is 16.5%, seasonally adjusted

U-6 defined as

Total unemployed, plus all persons marginally attached to the labor force, plus total employed part time for economic reasons, as a percent of the civilian labor force plus all persons marginally attached to the labor force

The unadjusted figure is 16.7%
Even as late as May, 2008, U6 was below 10% at 9.7% (adjusted).
Thanks, Øbummer, you really no yur ekonomix!

ExpressoBold on July 5, 2010 at 9:05 AM

But hey, at least he smells good and can talk real good for a kenyian-american, uhm…I mean an indonesian-american, uhm…no that isn’t right, I mean an anti-american.

jbh45 on July 5, 2010 at 9:46 AM

I had a Sociology prof years ago who spelled The Masses as Them Asses. Them Asses elected this poseur, and they continue to believe all the tripe that proceeds from the mouth of Odamna. Lie large enough and often enough and the lie becomes truth. And I weep for my Nation…

Crusader Rabbit on July 5, 2010 at 9:46 AM

How do they find so many people to sit behind him,and is there anybody left in the audience? If they are really listening, they probably agree with what he is saying.

Kissmygrits on July 5, 2010 at 10:08 AM

So we should be glad that Dear Liar has only smacked us around a little, instead of breaking all our bones?

rbj on July 5, 2010 at 10:16 AM

onlineanalyst wrote:

Purple tie: dog whistle to the SEIU brotherhood

Other way around: SEIU dog collar for President Zero.

truth2power on July 5, 2010 at 10:21 AM

This is exactly what we were promised during the campaign, that this jackass would save us from tragedy by keeping us mired in hopeless mediocrity.

Wasn’t it?

NoDonkey on July 5, 2010 at 10:25 AM

I am reading The Manchurian President. There is no way, while reading this book, you can see this as anything but as planned.
Let me translate Odumbo speak: “Be glad,idiots, that unemployment is not higher, because it necessarily will be before we’re done. Everything is going as planned.”
This guy is a socialist and his goal is as socialist as he can make us until his time in his pre ordained position in the WH comes to an end. He is trained by the far left and their goals are a living wage for everyone, as many unionized as possible and governemt control of private business, Unemployment is just a step in the right direction as far as they are concerned.
Oh yeah, and reparations and a black state if they can get it but that part is just a big if. Speaking of the reparations thing, maybe Barack can be president for life of that. He’d better get to work on that one, at the rate he’s going he should be impeached.

ORconservative on July 5, 2010 at 10:33 AM

The Master of lowered Expectations.

Let’s not talk about American Prosperity just yet….

There is no such thing as American exceptionalism…

It’s hard being King of the world, and not President of the United States.

Dr Evil on July 5, 2010 at 10:44 AM

Crusader Rabbit on July 5, 2010 at 9:46 AM

Neil Boortz calls them the Dumb Masses…oh, and the red star is a good choice on the graph!

bikermailman on July 5, 2010 at 11:02 AM

Everything is going according to plan. Problem is, most Americans don’t know what the plan is. If they did, many of them would puke, wipe their mouths, grab their guns and organize.

Extrafishy on July 5, 2010 at 11:10 AM

JimK on July 5, 2010 at 8:34 AM

I think he thinks that the ends justifies the means so while he knows it’s a lie, it really doesn’t matter. Think Alinsky.

No Niks on July 5, 2010 at 11:11 AM

People don’t need to hear phony speeches and statistics to see how the U.S. economy is doing. They can count the closed businesses in their towns and the for sale signs in their neighborhood. They know that you can’t spend money to get out of debt, you cut spending and set it aside to face harder times (thanks to the Bush tax cuts, and higher state/county taxes).

eigafan on July 5, 2010 at 11:25 AM

Implementation of plan to reshape America, solid B+

skanter on July 5, 2010 at 11:25 AM

The Family Circus cartoon has a character called “Not Me ” or something like that. He is a little ghost who is blamed for everything, as in “who broke the lamp? ” Not me!

President Kick-Ass needs a little friend by his side who’s name is “SomePeople. ” Then when K-A has to blame someone, he can point to Some People, as in “SomePeople complain that unemployment is at 9.5%.

Mallard T. Drake on July 5, 2010 at 12:44 PM

Two words: Affirmative Action.

jukin on July 5, 2010 at 1:31 PM

What’s he going to do once it does hit 12-15%?
ted c on July 5, 2010 at 8:11 AM

Go golfing.
This guy makes slackers look industrious.

DSchoen on July 5, 2010 at 1:58 PM

I have been working since I was 11 years old (when child labor laws weren’t so strictly enforced. I have never been unemployed for more than two months at a stretch…until now.
In more than a half-century of life I have never seen as grim an employment outlook…until now. In 35 years living in this city I have never known our Sunday want ads to be only one page…until now.
Yeah, tell me how much worse it would be without you, you jug-eared, sh*t-eating, marxist SOB.

Extrafishy on July 5, 2010 at 2:03 PM

As former President Ronald Reagan might have said, “Obama, there you go again.”

The current occupant of the White House claims to know how to create jobs. He claims jobs have been created. But so far the score is Great Obama Depression 2.2 million lost jobs, Obama 0 — a blowout.

Obama is as hopeless, helpless, clueless and bankrupt of good ideas as the manager of the Chicago Cubs in late September. This “community organizer” knows as much about private-sector jobs as Pamela Anderson knows about nuclear physics.

Schadenfreude on July 5, 2010 at 2:07 PM

The body politic learns from its mistakes and uses its power to correct them. Taken as a whole, this bunch of rubes and dupes and boobs shows a remarkably commonsensical approach to these things by saying, in essence:

Nothing is irreversible. Change is possible.

The political message of July 4, 2010 that is looking increasingly like a harbinger of doom for the man who popularized it two years ago is simply this:

Yes, we can.

If he dupes the nation for a second time, then the U.S. American people deserve his destruction.

Schadenfreude on July 5, 2010 at 2:15 PM

The only reason he said the, “um, er, or 15%” is because he remembered that the unemployment figure in Racine was already over 14%!

LifeTrek on July 5, 2010 at 6:14 PM