Quote of the Day

posted at 9:30 pm on July 4, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

A 100-foot (33-meter), twin-screw diesel submarine seized at a jungle shipyard in Ecuador marks a quantum, if anticipated, leap in drug-smuggling evasion technology, the top U.S. counter-drug official for the region said Sunday.

“It is the first fully functional, completely submersible submarine for transoceanic voyages that we have ever found,” Jay Bergman, Andean regional director for the Drug Enforcement Administration, told The Associated Press.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Americano scheinhund!

Little Boomer on July 5, 2010 at 8:28 AM

That’s not exactly true. My husband has been chasing submersible drug smuggling vehicles for at least five years now that I am aware of. This is not new news. They can’t go super deep, thus far. let me check with him and get back to you with better details. I definitely remember him telling me about this years ago and me laughing at him because I thought he was kidding at the time.

BrideOfRove on July 5, 2010 at 8:51 AM

If submersibles are outlawed, only outlaws will have submersibles

gstep58 on July 5, 2010 at 9:34 AM

Oldnuke on July 4, 2010 at 10:08 PM

I give up. I should have put an /s after it I confess.

chemman on July 4, 2010 at 11:09 PM

Nahh, I knew you were being sarcastic, but I just couldn’t pass up that opening :-). Calling that thing a submarine is the biggest joke of the day. It’s about as submersible as the USS Monitor was and probably less capable of a transoceanic voyage.

Oldnuke on July 5, 2010 at 9:34 AM

Someone call NASA and tell them to congratulate the Ecuadorean people for their scientific achievement.

Kissmygrits on July 5, 2010 at 10:11 AM

BrideOfRove on July 5, 2010 at 8:51 AM

Nope SEMI submersibles that still had stuff above the water line.

This would be a first true submersible.

CommentGuy on July 5, 2010 at 10:15 AM

Where there’s a market…

Extrafishy on July 5, 2010 at 11:20 AM

End the g-damned drug war and it wont matter anymore. End it, legalize it and restrict it’s use via legislation a la cigarettes and alcohol. Stop the madness.

rickyricardo on July 4, 2010 at 9:41 PM

Yeah. Won’t matter. Until it ends up in millions of more homes, destroying even more families. Brilliant!

Narutoboy on July 4, 2010 at 10:31 PM

Beware the tyranny of a do-gooder.

chemman on July 4, 2010 at 11:15 PM

Chemman, has it occurred to you to ask whether a libertarian is also a sort of do-gooder?

Kralizec on July 5, 2010 at 11:41 AM

BrideOfRove – That’s true, but I think this actually represents an entirely new more sophisticated deep diving transoceanic submersible.

griv on July 5, 2010 at 11:45 AM

Why would anyone paint jungle camoflage on a submarine? Is it going to be patrolling in the Sargasso sea? It also looks like only anorexic supermodels will be able to fit in therough the conning tower.

This is a joke, right?

percysunshine on July 5, 2010 at 8:51 AM

So they can’t be easily seen from the air while being built in the jungle.

jonknee on July 5, 2010 at 12:15 PM

100 years from now, they’ll STILL be talking about how GREAT a President Ronald Reagan was…

You won’t even be a dust mite on the scrap heap of history…

Khun Joe on July 5, 2010 at 7:43 AM

You moron, I wasn’t criticizing Reagan. In fact, it was more of a compliment since I am an advocate of the war on drugs. Learn to read, simpleton.

Narutoboy on July 5, 2010 at 12:32 PM

End the g-damned drug war and it wont matter anymore.

Stop the madness.

rickyricardo on July 4, 2010 at 9:41 PM

Narutoboy on July 4, 2010 at 10:31 PM

Given the complete failure of the war on drugs. What make you think that drug consumption will go up, if the drugs were legalized?

Slowburn on July 5, 2010 at 6:30 PM

I can just imagine the sonar operator of a Hunter-Killer
SSN Sub,

ah….Captain,its pinging like its a solid block of steel
somwehow floating along the current,if I had a rifle,I
would be able to shoot it from here and hit it,no problem,

maybe its a waterlogged container that fell off a container
Ship!!(sarc).

canopfor on July 6, 2010 at 12:00 AM

BrideOfRove on July 5, 2010 at 8:51 AM

The original models we encountered years ago were not fully functioning subs. But were actually submersibles being towed by the smuggling vessels.

Zaire67 on July 6, 2010 at 1:19 AM