Poll: What was the Obamateurism of the Week?

posted at 9:00 am on July 4, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

When in the golf courses of Barack Obama events it becomes necessary for Hot Air readers to choose the Obamateurism of the Week and to assume the powers of historical accuracy, a decent respect to the nature of past conflicts requires those citizens to step up and call the bluff of the biggest bluffer and offer an apologia rather than gripe about an apology two weeks old while neglecting a crisis.

Previous 2010 “winners”:

Comments

Another Sunday Morning Headache.

blatantblue on July 4, 2010 at 9:05 AM

I voted for the story about the statue of the lady with the torch thingy.

Philly on July 4, 2010 at 9:06 AM

Misquoting the history of Lady Liberty and the poem at its’ base. Plus (my add)attempting to compare illegal immigrants to those who paid the price to come here legally and become a legitimate part of the American Melting Pot.

kingsjester on July 4, 2010 at 9:06 AM

I know it’s been said ad nauseam but if a Republican president were this stupid, you’d never hear the end of it.

ncborn on July 4, 2010 at 9:07 AM

Kennedy had his “Ich Bein Eine Berliner!” (I am a jelly donut!) moment.

Obama now has his.

pilamaye on July 4, 2010 at 9:08 AM

There are alot of things about America that Obama doesn’t have a clue about. Put American history at the top of the list.

volsense on July 4, 2010 at 9:10 AM

Golf… Gulf… whatever…

Khun Joe on July 4, 2010 at 9:11 AM

Obmateurism of the Week is the highlight of my week. I usually pick the most popular but not today. I went with golf.

I made a video of your article on Obama’s saying we’re heading in the right direction. A comment I read here gave me the idea. I used all the expected videos but the ending is somewhat of a surprise… or not.

“We are heading in the right direction”, Barack Obama

No Niks on July 4, 2010 at 9:13 AM

The saddest part of Obama’s gaffe on the Statue of Liberty is that millions of Americans believed him. The eunuch who would be king just makes it up as he goes along. His administration knows just as little about American history as he does.

volsense on July 4, 2010 at 9:14 AM

Actually it may be a combination of two Obamateuisms that epitomize his contempt for the country that has given him so much.
They are:
•“Whether we like it or not, we remain a dominant military superpower”

•“I mean, I do think at a certain point you’ve made enough money.”

These are two of the most powerful principles that have propelled the USA to lead the world. They are a large part of the foundation upon which we still stand.

And yes. We have been doing it for 234 years.

AnthonyK on July 4, 2010 at 9:16 AM

History is just something to be manipulated and reformed to mean what I want it to mean, nevermind the facts.
/bho

ted c on July 4, 2010 at 9:19 AM

The Statue of Liberty misquote is infuriating especially during the week prior to today’s holiday.

But I went with his asking about golf courses upon arriving at the summit.

Once again making it crystal clear that he’s really only in the job for the perks.

tru2tx on July 4, 2010 at 9:21 AM

“A reporter who was there at that time, all those years ago, said: ‘If there is a fine, splendid world in the future, it will largely be because the United States and Russia get on well together. If it is in trouble, it will be because they don’t get on well. It’s as simple as that.’”

Mr. President, the decades that followed saw many troubles — too many troubles. But 65 years later, it’s still as simple as that. Our countries are more secure and the world is safer when the United States and Russia get on well together.

Obviously his statement on our relationship with Russia was the most embarrassing and significant Obamateurism of the week as it demonstrated his foreign policy ignorance and ineptness. The arrest of Russian spies hot on the utterance of “If it is in trouble, it will be because they don’t get on well. It’s as simple as that.” underlined his utter incompetence.

The other gaffes are mere fluff compared to his getting this issue fundamentally wrong.

Basilsbest on July 4, 2010 at 9:23 AM

Sometimes, it appears that Obama does not even want us to be a sovereign nation.

kingsjester on July 4, 2010 at 9:24 AM

tough one for me this week, there is a tie

good intro once again Ed…

go enjoy a dog and beer today!

cmsinaz on July 4, 2010 at 9:27 AM

Passing through New York a few years back, I did schedule one stop — the Statue Of Liberty. Thank you France.

I wonder if our Canoodler in Chief has made a visit? I mean, other than having AF1 give her a flyby.

GnuBreed on July 4, 2010 at 9:27 AM

This POS is a disgrace!

csdeven on July 4, 2010 at 9:35 AM

God Bless America.

publiuspen on July 4, 2010 at 9:35 AM

Biggest HORSES ASS EVER…

dangitt on July 4, 2010 at 9:38 AM

Definitely the misquote of the history of the Statue of Liberty…but I’m pretty sure he knew the truth and to rewrite it to suit his needs.

ladyingray on July 4, 2010 at 9:41 AM

Yeah…I agree.
That,and also the fact that they have not murdered 100 million people lately.

NeoKong on July 4, 2010 at 9:41 AM

Screwing up the history of Lady Liberty and the poem. You’d think that even if Øbama couldn’t get it right, then at least his writers could. Apparently he’s a doofus who has surrounded himself with doofuses.

petefrt on July 4, 2010 at 9:47 AM

Kennedy had his “Ich Bein Eine Berliner!” (I am a jelly donut!) moment.

Obama now has his.

pilamaye on July 4, 2010 at 9:08 AM

You left out Jimmy Carter’s “Ich bin ein Frankfurter!” moment.
(H/T Jeff MacNelly)

cartooner on July 4, 2010 at 9:48 AM

Again… dear leader shows how little he cares about American history… Did he publicly blame it on TOTUS?

RalphyBoy on July 4, 2010 at 9:48 AM

“We are heading in the right direction”, Barack Obama

No Niks on July 4, 2010 at 9:13 AM

Oh, my…

That’s really good.

Bravo!

turfmann on July 4, 2010 at 9:52 AM

GnuBreed on July 4, 2010 at 9:27 AM

Well there was that surprize photo shoot about a year ago. Idiots in the WH… Even recent history escapes them.

RalphyBoy on July 4, 2010 at 9:53 AM

I’ll take Lady Liberty for $100, Ed.

“Uh, happy Independence Day, you racist teabaggers.
Enjoy it while you can.”
~Barack Obama

VibrioCocci on July 4, 2010 at 9:57 AM

The first courageous and proper act of this nation was at its birth—it dissolved the tyrannical bands that bound us to Britain. Through our failure to remember the sacrifices and lessons learned from the 1776 timeframe, we have welcomed tyranny back on our shores—only this time, a tyranny of a different flavor. The next courageous and proper act of this nation will be first the framing of the argument in hopefully as eloquent a fashion as Thomas Jefferson did back then. The second will be setting about the painstaking process of removing the cancerous lesions that are crowding out freedom and liberty. They have to be cast away from our shores and our children, and our children’s children, must never forget the lessons of history.

This is the calling of our time.

ted c on July 4, 2010 at 9:57 AM

The Right Direction????? well, which way is that pray tell?

ted c on July 4, 2010 at 10:01 AM

Happy Fourth of July, y’all!!

ProfessorMiao on July 4, 2010 at 10:03 AM

Actually, Obama really is telling us exactly what he intends to do. It’s just that Obama speaks a different language than do most conservative Americans.

Skandia Recluse on July 4, 2010 at 10:05 AM

No Niks on July 4, 2010 at 9:13 AM

Very, very good!

Vince on July 4, 2010 at 10:06 AM

This is the calling of our time.

ted c on July 4, 2010 at 9:57 AM

Indeed! Let’s start with Mister “Where’s the nearest golf course” and his merry band of thugs.

Key West Reader on July 4, 2010 at 10:06 AM

“Uh, happy Independence Day, you racist teabaggers.
Enjoy it while you can.”
~Barack Obama

VibrioCocci on July 4, 2010 at 9:57 AM

Sadly, this is probably very close to the truth.

tru2tx on July 4, 2010 at 10:08 AM

I can only imagine what fun Leno would have with The Won during a Jaywalking bit…

parteagirl on July 4, 2010 at 10:09 AM

“We are heading in the right direction”, Barack Obama

No Niks on July 4, 2010 at 9:13 AM

..Mister Kraft, it is magnificent! I borrowed it and posted it over on my blog (with full attribution, of course); I am recommending that my friends to the same. The segue into Catrter’s “Malaise Speech” is absolutely precious — from a person who listened to that one real time.

Excellent job!

Bring us more.

The War Planner on July 4, 2010 at 10:12 AM

“We are heading in the right direction”, Barack Obama

No Niks on July 4, 2010 at 9:13 AM

O U T S T A N D I N G ! ! !

ExpressoBold on July 4, 2010 at 10:12 AM

Barton’s apology must have touched a sensitive point. The truth hurts.

mr.blacksheep on July 4, 2010 at 10:26 AM

Either he’s historically ignorant or he doesn’t give a hoot. He and his speech writer don’t seem to care for facts about the statue, environment, economy, industry, oil spill, and probably golf score.

Kissmygrits on July 4, 2010 at 10:29 AM

The Statue of Liberty and I’ll bet people did know.
The history channel had a series on that had quite a large portion on the statue and while I don’t watch the history channel often, I did catch that part. The speech would have been correct if odumbo had just watched the history channel.
A point that makes him far dumber than his supporters and is absolutely stunning to me.

ORconservative on July 4, 2010 at 10:30 AM

The Russia comment demonstrated such ignorance regarding fairly recent history and foreign policy, I had to go with that one.

mbs on July 4, 2010 at 10:31 AM

The man is not American, no matter where he was born . 57 states, shout out to “medal of Honor” winning indian chief during Ft Hood, corpse-man, and as scary as insulting, a Jay Walking level knowledge of all American history .

borntoraisehogs on July 4, 2010 at 10:35 AM

So, where’s :
“being an American is not a matter of blood or birth.”

Or was that yesterday’s, or last week’s .. oy.. losing count with this loser.

pambi on July 4, 2010 at 10:37 AM

It’s really to the point where an Obamateurism of the day could be when Mr. President says something that isn’t ignorant or wrong or an outright lie.

scalleywag on July 4, 2010 at 10:37 AM

Had to go with misquoting and ignorance of history, but “golf courses” made it a tough choice.

novaculus on July 4, 2010 at 10:38 AM

LIBERTY!!

jerrytbg on July 4, 2010 at 10:38 AM

Partisan ideological posturing:
Kindergartner attitude toward US-Russian relations: CHECK!
Avoiding constitutional duties by golfing: CHECK!
Taunting American citizens on their naieveté and trust: CHECK!
Blaming Republicans at every opportunity: CHECK!
Amateur behavior:
Giving a fact-challenged speech a third-grader could have corrected: CHECK!

ExpressoBold on July 4, 2010 at 10:41 AM

I had to vote for the Statue of Immigration comments. Emma Lazarus was an activist, a Marxist, and a Zionist, so just two-for-three in Obama’s worldview but still worthy of one of his shout-outs.

Drained Brain on July 4, 2010 at 10:41 AM

Statue if Immigration fiasco, of course! But what else would you expect when you have an alien illegally serving as President?

ya2daup on July 4, 2010 at 10:50 AM

Excellent job!

Bring us more.

The War Planner on July 4, 2010 at 10:12 AM

Thanks so much everyone. RobtKraft is my YouTube channel. He owns the NE Patriots. I, however, don’t. I’m Granny Jan, aged 65, live in MA and a former Patriot’s fan.

I have lots of videos, actually 100s but I’m continually deleting them. Some of my videos are so politically incorrect that even I wonder where I get the chutzpah. Maybe it’s genetic ;-)

No Niks on July 4, 2010 at 10:55 AM

Actually with Obama and the New Colossus bit, he was just trying to do a Lefty counterpoint to another recent reading which seems to be a bit more… outgoing… and he gets it wrong to boot!

I guess imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Helps if you get it right, though.

ajacksonian on July 4, 2010 at 11:08 AM

Sir Golfsalot by a tee.

profitsbeard on July 4, 2010 at 11:13 AM

Went with the Statue of Liberty. I’ll grant that Dear Liar was born in the US, to an American mother, granting him citizenship. But he is no American.

rbj on July 4, 2010 at 11:21 AM

I was going to vote for the Statue of Liberty gaffe but I just had to go with “people are surprised when I do what I said I would do” instead, just for the crassness of it

Gwillie on July 4, 2010 at 11:25 AM

“We are heading in the right direction”, Barack Obama

No Niks on July 4, 2010 at 9:13 AM

Very well done, sir!

Fishoutofwater on July 4, 2010 at 11:43 AM

President Jay-Walker never leaves us short of choices for the OOTW, but I had to go with the Statue of Liberty.

Fishoutofwater on July 4, 2010 at 11:46 AM

Obama may be clueless, but that doesn’t change the importance of the day itself:

Happy Independence Day Ed and Allah! And all Americans everywhere!

KendraWilder on July 4, 2010 at 12:06 PM

Day 74 of the Oil Catastrophe

Day 530 of the Obama Presidential Catastrophe

portlandon on July 4, 2010 at 12:17 PM

Why do you think Libtards have dumbed down public education and fight alternatives like charter and home schooling? Madness meet method

skanter on July 4, 2010 at 12:41 PM

No Niks: Like your other videos, that latest one is excellents.

I think that the golf course remarks was a deliberate thumb in the eye of his critics. They are all part of his audacious personna.

onlineanalyst on July 4, 2010 at 12:58 PM

portlandon on July 4, 2010 at 12:17 PM

120 days and 22 hours till Nov 2

Eren on July 4, 2010 at 1:01 PM

kingsjester

SOMETIMES????

Crusader Rabbit on July 4, 2010 at 1:19 PM

I understated.

kingsjester on July 4, 2010 at 1:49 PM

Another Sunday Morning Headache.

blatantblue on July 4, 2010 at 9:05 AM

Who Obama?

dhunter on July 4, 2010 at 2:03 PM

But he is no natural born American.

rbj on July 4, 2010 at 11:21 AM

fix it for you…

jerrytbg on July 4, 2010 at 3:10 PM

Kennedy had his “Ich Bein Eine Berliner!” (I am a jelly donut!) moment.
Obama now has his.
pilamaye on July 4, 2010 at 9:08 AM

“I am a Berliner” is “Ich bin Berliner. Kennedy used a metaphorical expression “Ich Bein Eine Berliner!” Which can mean “I am like a Berliner” or “I am like a jelly donut ” as Berliner is also the name of a jelly filled pastry we Americans would call a jelly donut.

Question, what did the Germans think when Bill Clinton said “Ich Bein Eine Berliner!”?

“I am like a jelly donut “?

Keep that “like” in mind when folks tell you Kennedy never said he was a “a jelly donut”.

Same as Gore when he said he “created the internet” is often quoted as he “invented the internet”.

Meaningless trivia 101

DSchoen on July 4, 2010 at 5:00 PM

If he grew up here he’d know these things.

Army Brat on July 4, 2010 at 5:44 PM

Wow. This is the 1st time I’ve ever voted with the majority.

bitsy on July 4, 2010 at 5:51 PM

It was a moving finish, despite Obama incorrectly reciting the famous line as “yearning to be free” instead of “yearning to breathe free.”

Between the EPA and CapNtax, we can’t exactly promise new immigrants free breathing anymore so Obama just thought he would amend the poem. After all, you can’t have people remembering when exhaling was free.

bitsy on July 4, 2010 at 5:54 PM

I picked the golf statement. I can’t even imagine showing up to a business meeting and having my first words be about golf. I would be fired.

But then, I’ve actually spent a lot of time working and managing in business to know that, which makes me more qualified to be POTUS than Obama.

Common Sense on July 4, 2010 at 6:55 PM

He is setting up for a great fall with all this ineptitude in small things. A lot of his decisions and his management look very questionable.

The squandered trillion in stimulus will look very bad if the economy sinks beneath the waves.

I hope that the public remembers the pass our media gave this man.

IlikedAUH2O on July 5, 2010 at 2:04 AM