Heh: Hatch, McConnell, Murkowski all early “no” votes on Kagan

posted at 6:24 pm on July 2, 2010 by Allahpundit

What a strange assemblage. I wonder if there’s any common denominator that would explain why these grassroots heroes are so eager to show the conservative base how anti-Kagan they are.

McConnell said Kagan was “far from forthcoming in discussing her own views on basic principles of American constitutional law” during this week’s confirmation hearings.

“I do not have confidence that if she were confirmed to a lifetime position on the Supreme Court she would suddenly constrain the ardent political advocacy that has marked much of her adult life,” McConnell said. “The American people expect a justice who will impartially apply the law, not one who will be a rubberstamp for the Obama administration or any other administration. For these reasons, I will oppose Ms. Kagan’s confirmation.”

In announcing her opposition, Murkowski bemoaned the lack of geographic diversity and the small number of law schools represented on the court.

“Ms. Kagan, like this administration’s last nominee, Justice Sotomayor, is a native of New York City. Although she spent a portion of her career in Chicago, most of her career has been spent ‘inside the beltway’ of Washington, D.C., and Cambridge, Massachusetts on the campus of Harvard University,” Murkowski said. “If confirmed, six of the nine Supreme Court Justices will be from the Northeast United States, and only three law schools of the 199 law schools accredited by the American Bar Association will be represented on the high court-Harvard, Yale and Columbia law schools.”

Niiiiiice job by Murkowski playing the “urban east-coast elitist egghead” card. Her authenticity is now beyond reproach. Here’s Hatch, who voted for Kagan when she was up for solicitor general — before Utah Republicans torpedoed Bob Bennett in the primary, of course:

“Qualifications for judicial service include both legal experience and, more importantly, the appropriate judicial philosophy. The law must control the judge; the judge must not control the law,” Hatch said. “I have concluded that, based on evidence rather than blind faith, General Kagan regrettably does not meet this standard and that, therefore, I cannot support her appointment.”

“Over nearly 25 years, General Kagan has endorsed, and praised those who endorse, an activist judicial philosophy. I was surprised when she encouraged us at the hearing simply to discard or ignore certain parts of her record. I am unable to do that. I also cannot ignore disturbing situations in which it appears that her personal or political views drove her legal views,” Hatch added.

DeMint and Inhofe are also no’s, although Grahamnesty is likely to continue his war with tea partiers by voting yes. The big question: What about Olympia Snowe? No doubt she wants to vote yes (she gave thumbs up to Sotomayor), but she’s up for re-election in 2012 and the Maine tea party is already guaranteeing a primary opponent for her. Prediction: She votes no. Can’t wait to hear the excuse!

Comments

Like it matters, she`ll get through.

ThePrez on July 2, 2010 at 6:27 PM

He feels so safe right now…thinks everybody in SC is going to forget by 2014…hahahahaha…I can’t wait to see the look on his face when his day rolls around.

AUINSC on July 2, 2010 at 6:28 PM

I think this block voting stuff is a mistake. Why? It’s pushing the moderate liberals into a corner.

And they are not the enemy.

AnninCA on July 2, 2010 at 6:29 PM

Is this a “no” to refuse to close debate (i.e. filibuster) or just a “no” for an up & down vote?

If the latter, to hell with them.

Norwegian on July 2, 2010 at 6:29 PM

Murkowski is trying to cover her ass with conservatives.

portlandon on July 2, 2010 at 6:29 PM

But just remember. The Tea Party is a bunch of fringe lunatics and will die out in a few years.

/sarc

Doughboy on July 2, 2010 at 6:30 PM

“I do not have confidence that if she were confirmed to a lifetime position on the Supreme Court she would suddenly constrain the ardent political advocacy that has marked much of her adult life,” McConnell said.”

FINALLY!!!

Someone actually said it…

Seven Percent Solution on July 2, 2010 at 6:34 PM

“Is that fear I smell? Good. Very good.” http://is.gd/ddbTN

irishspy on July 2, 2010 at 6:34 PM

Murkowski is trying to cover her ass with conservatives.

portlandon on July 2, 2010 at 6:29 PM

ya gotta give her credit though….. it was a nice stab.

upinak on July 2, 2010 at 6:35 PM

Pander mania

therightwinger on July 2, 2010 at 6:35 PM

And they are not the enemy.

Let me ask you this? When have “moderate” Democratic senators defected to our side? Usually, bipartisanship has meant our moderates voting with the Democrats.

And don’t get me started on so-called moderates in the House enabling Pelosi.

irishspy on July 2, 2010 at 6:36 PM

And they are not the enemy.

AnninCA on July 2, 2010 at 6:29 PM

WTF is a moderate liberal? Is it related to the jackalope?

fiatboomer on July 2, 2010 at 6:38 PM

Not to mention what it’s doing to the conservative liberals.

Bugler on July 2, 2010 at 6:40 PM

The creature ‘moderate liberal’ is an oxymoron, like ‘jumbo shrimp’.

Shrimp, however, are tasty.

Liberals are deceitful and taste like tofu no matter what they promise.

ajacksonian on July 2, 2010 at 6:41 PM

if dear leader can vote against alito just cuz, the folks above are certainly entitled to vote no….

right back at cha obama…

cmsinaz on July 2, 2010 at 6:46 PM

She lied, cuz she isn’t qualified.

I vote no, er, make that HELL NO! too.

ornery_independent on July 2, 2010 at 6:47 PM

Looks like they found the key to the testicle lock box.

dirtseller on July 2, 2010 at 6:47 PM

grahamesty will be the lone gop vote….maybe brown? hmmmm

cmsinaz on July 2, 2010 at 6:48 PM

Not to mention what it’s doing to the conservative liberals.

Bugler on July 2, 2010 at 6:40 PM

Heh, it’s damn near wiped out the poor bastards./

ontherocks on July 2, 2010 at 6:51 PM

AnninCA on July 2, 2010 at 6:29 PM

Oxymoron.

Key West Reader on July 2, 2010 at 6:52 PM

Grahamnesty is dead meat!

GarandFan on July 2, 2010 at 6:56 PM

Moderate liberal AnninCA?

Uhm, like 100% of the dems that voted for Healthcare Reform? You say’n they were pushed in a corner? I don’t think so. A Dem is a dem and and when it comes to pushing, they are more than happy to push for BO.

Heads will role in November.

jbh45 on July 2, 2010 at 6:57 PM

Heh: Hatch, McConnell, Murkowski all early “no” votes on Kagan

Well duh!. She couldn’t pick between the vampires or the werewolves. Well not until she asked Obama his position on the subject.

Electrongod on July 2, 2010 at 6:59 PM

Missy Graham just has to put himself out there for attention.

It’s as if he has a form of OCD to be the center of attention.

What a mutt.

tru2tx on July 2, 2010 at 7:00 PM

Murkowski is trying to cover her ass with conservatives.

portlandon on July 2, 2010 at 6:29 PM

2008… they’d all be on board with exuberance.

These are not principled people, they are only political animals.

mankai on July 2, 2010 at 7:07 PM

It’s as if he has a form of OCD to be the center of attention.

Heh – my husband calls that “Center of Attention” Deficit Disorder….

TeresainFortWorth on July 2, 2010 at 7:10 PM

AnninCA on July 2, 2010 at 6:29 PM
Oxymoron.

Key West Reader on July 2, 2010 at 6:52 PM

thomasaur on July 2, 2010 at 7:12 PM

And they are not the enemy.

AnninCA on July 2, 2010 at 6:29 PM

There is no such thing as a moderate liberal. Unless there is a moderate slavery I don’t know about.

Someone who claims to be moderate yet empowers the socialist progressives is most certainly the enemy within. This wishy washy middle ground is nothing more than handing our freedom over to Big Brother.

“Moderate liberals” be gone. You are a lie.

petunia on July 2, 2010 at 7:14 PM

MODERATE LIBERAL-
What the hell is that?
Does that mean I get the reach around included?

jjshaka on July 2, 2010 at 7:22 PM

Guess Orin woke up this morning and remembered there IS a way for a Republican senator to lose their seat in Utah…

SuperCool on July 2, 2010 at 7:36 PM

I do not have confidence that if she were confirmed to a lifetime position on the Supreme Court she would suddenly constrain the ardent political…

I guess McConnell’s at heart a politician so as close he comes to actually saying what he thinks he still must frame it in kinda diplo-weasily terms. How about this: “She’s a freakin’ radical political hack and I am, like, totally puzzled that they would nominate such a monumentally unqualified airhead. All I can think of is that they are paying her off for a lifetime of reliable donations and Loyal Soldier of the Left ideological support. If nothing else Kagan will set a standard for future nominations: don’t give us any more college administrator bureaucrat drones! Can she possibly be the best legal mind this administration has to offer? If so we’re in big doo-doo trouble….Phew! Glad I got that off my chest. I’m voting no.”

curved space on July 2, 2010 at 7:39 PM

And they are not the enemy.

AnninCA on July 2, 2010 at 6:29 PM

WTF is a moderate liberal? Is it related to the jackalope?

fiatboomer on July 2, 2010 at 6:38 PM

LOL–I think it’s more like Sasquatch, the man/beast: mythological, but sanity-challenged people like AnninCA swear they’ve seen one.

Jenfidel on July 2, 2010 at 7:43 PM

And they are not the enemy.

AnninCA on July 2, 2010 at 6:29 PM

WTF is a moderate liberal? Is it related to the jackalope?

fiatboomer on July 2, 2010 at 6:38 PM

LOL–I think it’s more like Big Foot, the man/beast: mythological, but sanity-challenged people like AnninCA swear they’ve seen one.

Jenfidel on July 2, 2010 at 7:44 PM

Looking at the numbers it will be a lot closer than one thinks to party lines. I would not put it pass some dems to vote no even if the Grahamnesty and the Maine twins go yes. 51 is a long way to go when going off it is like a cliff.

tjexcite on July 2, 2010 at 7:51 PM

There is NO such things as moderates!

Dire Straits on July 2, 2010 at 7:54 PM

I predict that she wont’ be confirmed.

Its near election season and politicians are doing whatever they can to stay in office in 2010 or 2012.

I like the fact that the American people have instilled fear in their politicians.

Conservative Samizdat on July 2, 2010 at 8:11 PM

“We shall filibuster on the beaches, we shall filibuster on the landing grounds, we shall filibuster in the fields and in the streets, we shall filibuster in the hills; we shall never surrender.”

–Churchill

Emperor Norton on July 2, 2010 at 8:30 PM

thomasaur on July 2, 2010 at 7:12 PM

you beat me to it!

ORconservative on July 2, 2010 at 8:39 PM

Finally, people realizing how much of a radical lunatic this woman is!

RightXBrigade on July 2, 2010 at 8:44 PM

And they are not the enemy.

AnninCA on July 2, 2010 at 6:29 PM

moderate liberals
That’s like moderate NAZI’s
occasional pedophiles

Sorry, I don’t mind “backing them into a corner” as long as the next step is off the cliff.

CrazyGene on July 2, 2010 at 8:52 PM

Maybe Arlen will show some of the legendary spite he is known for. He didn’t get the seniority he was promised, and the primary field wasn’t cleared for him the way he was promised.

Unless he wants an ambassadorship (and at 80, with three bouts of cancer, one would wonder if he’d prefer to stay in the US), why not make life interesing for Harry Reid, especially since Harry’s going down anyway.

Payback’s a beeyutch, Harry.

Wethal on July 2, 2010 at 8:56 PM

Bastards, all of them.

rayra on July 2, 2010 at 9:03 PM

Is that a Kagan facepalm I see?

diogenes on July 2, 2010 at 9:48 PM

Like it matters, she`ll get through.

ThePrez on July 2, 2010 at 6:27 PM

It matters to me. I don’t want to vote someone that is willing to vote for BanKagan.

MeatHeadinCA on July 2, 2010 at 9:55 PM

AnninCA on July 2, 2010 at 6:29 PM

Oh look! Clownfeet!

Inanemergencydial on July 2, 2010 at 10:56 PM

AnninCA on July 2, 2010 at 6:29 PM

Any wonder California is on the event horizon of a financial black hole?

cartooner on July 2, 2010 at 11:01 PM

To the Republicans in the Senate:

Who’s up for exercising your constitutional power of advise and consent with a big time filibuster?

Show some testiclar fortitude.

Its filibuster time!!!!

slp on July 2, 2010 at 11:22 PM

WTF is a moderate liberal? Is it related to the jackalope?

fiatboomer on July 2, 2010 at 6:38 PM

There is only one. It’s been sighted at the bottom of Loch Ness in Scotland.

gryphon202 on July 3, 2010 at 12:20 AM

I love it that Hatch is running scared. He saw what happened to Bennett and now thinks he can make people forget about his past votes prior to 2012. Keep voting like a true conservative Orrin but it’s not going to save your ass because the cross-hairs (oh no, not a weapons reference!) that was so focused on your friend Bob is now on you. Do the honorable thing – retire after this term, you’re not nearly as important as you think you are.

SaintGeorgeGentile on July 3, 2010 at 12:28 AM

Hatch, McConnell, Murkowski all early “no” votes on Kagan

The crazy crackpots want it both ways. There will be no effective action against the moonbat. Move along now, because there really is nothing to see here.

Utah should’ve removed Hatch over Ruth Bader Ginsberg. Indulge insanity and you’ll get more of it.

Feedie on July 3, 2010 at 12:44 AM

Why is Allahpundit leaning left so often these days? I thought after reading his post on Christie da ho Hitchens, that they might as well get a motel room and spare us the steamy love details.

griv on July 3, 2010 at 1:12 AM

Even though we’ve never met, I love you. You gave my miserable life meaning. I was total garbage before I read your book. I did not have the ability to be my own person until you, an atheist, a socialist, a gay/other man, writes a book in order to make money that I can now take and base my useless life on. Thank you for helping my ignorant self find some order out of this complex world. Thank you for teaching us that eating our own waste is not cool unless you say it’s okay.

griv on July 3, 2010 at 1:18 AM

Oops

griv on July 3, 2010 at 1:19 AM

AUINSC on July 2, 2010 at 6:28 PM

Doesn’t matter, he will always have his cushy pension to fall back on, not to mention lobbying and speaking fees.

Tim Burton on July 3, 2010 at 2:25 AM

Oops

griv on July 3, 2010 at 1:19 AM

Where was that supposed to go? Enquiring minds want to know…

Who is John Galt on July 3, 2010 at 4:17 AM

She’ll just repeat what Hatch said. She’ll even find her vote against Kagan a little liberating and will enjoy doing it.
Whatever crazy idea some people at HotAir have about Snowe, she is a Republican. I have been noticing quite a few things not happening in Congress (for instance, not yet again extending unemployment benefits) because she is with the Republicans on a filibuster. I’m thankful she’s in the Senate. If she and Collins weren’t in the Senate, I’d bet that the senators from Maine would be fully supportive of Obama’s effort to destroy America.

thuja on July 3, 2010 at 7:34 AM

/sarc

Doughboy on July 2, 2010 at 6:30 PM

If the Tea Party movement succeeds in 2010 and 2012, Then I agree it will fade away. The people in the movement are your average Americans. Once they feel their Liberties and freedoms are safe the movement is over. This is as it should be. Not a sad fading away, but a celebration. Americans want to get on with their life. We work and toil to make our children and grandchildren’s life better then ours. Only with freedom and liberty can we do that.

IowaWoman on July 3, 2010 at 8:54 AM

Yet another thread where AnninCA gets owned.

fossten on July 3, 2010 at 9:21 AM

If the GOP does not filibuster this unqualified nomination I don’t see any hope for them for the future. They either need to step up to the plate and stand for the values and ideas they claim they believe in or they will continue to lose support.

JeffinSac on July 3, 2010 at 9:33 AM

I think this block voting stuff is a mistake because I’m a concern troll. Why? It’s pushing the Because I like giving moderate liberals cover into a corner.

And they are not the enemy I need an enema.

AnninCA on July 2, 2010 at 6:29 PM

FIFY.

Mr. D on July 3, 2010 at 10:15 AM

They all know this woman is not qualified to be a SC justice. That’s what the hearing should be all about, getting this into the open. They all side step with their words and don’t do the job We the People elected them to do.

Kissmygrits on July 3, 2010 at 11:05 AM

The “Wise Latina” followed by the “Kagan-SciFi Cookbook”. God those Democrats have a deep bench.

trl on July 3, 2010 at 1:22 PM

The days of giving a President his nominees a pass are long gone. Moderate liberals don’t exist, pro-life liberals don’t exist, and Constitutional-valuing liberals don’t exist.

Liberals lie. Rinse and repeat. They don’t dare identify themselves by their proper label (whereas Conservatives PROUDLY wear their banner), but hid behind the less intimidating term of “Progressive.”

The GOP will NEVER win the moderate vote from Democrats who lean toward liberalism. Their best best is to stick to principle, bringing in as many independents who lean toward conservatism. At least those populations are measurable, plentiful, and real. If a fillabuster is the only way to keep Kagan from the SCOTUS, then do it without flinching.

If the Republican Party can’t even show a backbone to something so obvious, then many among their ranks will deserve the losses that will surely come in the years ahead.

The only problem with such losses is that there may be no United States of America as we know it left, by the time enough liberty minded people are sufficiently awaken to the horrors of the past few years.

itzWicks on July 3, 2010 at 1:46 PM

Some people on our side wouldn’t be satisfied unless one of their hated “RINO” guys rushed the table, gutted Kagan with a rusty knife, and strangled her with her own entrails.
`
`
Graham won’t be any less despised by SC Republicans in 2014 than he was in 2008, but WHO is going to run against him? A primary challenge of a sitting Senator with an established fund-raising operation would cost at least $1 million, maybe two, and would be hard to raise as potential donors know the odds. The only one with the statewide mojo to even try it would be Haley, and she will be running for reelection herself that year.
`
`
Don’t knock tofu it you haven’t had it prepared properly.

Adjoran on July 3, 2010 at 2:08 PM

awesome. I am glad some GOP guys are getting it. Although, I look at it this way: She doesn’t look like the healthiest apple in the cart. And she’s not the sharpest knife in the drawer. And, based on her performance as solicitor general, she’ll be nothing better than a rubber stamp apparatchik. She won’t be persuasive, long-lived, influential, or memorable as a Justice. The only benefit to defeating her now is to prevent any new judges or justices from Obama from 2011 to be confirmed. If the GOP has a new sense of backbone.

joeindc44 on July 3, 2010 at 2:36 PM

This twit believes that that the government can tell you what to eat. What happens if you defy the government and eat what you wish? Will your government health care be denied as a result? It will. Particularly if your food of choice is directly related to your ailment…according to the government. They make the rules and yo live or die by them. Tyranny.
She also believes that the government can ban books. What penalty would there be for possessing banned books or disseminating them? And who decides what books should be banned? The government of course. More power to the government and less to the people even in thought put to paper. Tyranny.
Sotomayor the wise Latina swore to support and defend the Constitution and to respect gun owners rights.
She lied…plain and simple and so is this other liar.
Her hero is a judge who says judges should make law from the bench. What do you suppose she will do? What if the Supreme Court ends up interpreting the Second Amendment or the First in a new and “progressive” way? So easy to see it happening.
The end of the United States as we know it is within the grasp of the Socialists/Marxists that have managed through stealth and a passive to actively cooperating media to hide or obfuscate the Truth about their presence. If the Supreme Court can be packed with radicals such as Kagan and Sotomayor we are doomed. Law from the Bench is what we’ll have. Tyranny and nothing more…and you know how Americans react to Tyranny. First they must know it’s there.
God is a spectator. We the People must help ourselves. Speak to your neighbor, your co-worker. Engage them on this and all the other Tyrannical crap you see. I am amazed at how few I speak with know that there was an image of Mao Tse Tung on an ornament hanging from the White House Christmas Tree this last Christmas. A mass murdering Communist sack of crap on the White House Christmas tree. How obscene is that? They know nothing about Ron Bloom, the Manufacturing Czars statement…we kind of agree with Mao, that political power flows primarily from the barrel of a gun. THAT should be known by every American. We have an appointee in a position of critical power made by the President who believes that political power flows from the barrel of a gun… And the press pretends not to know, pretends it doesn’t really matter.
As they are doing with Kagan so they treat every other radical, anti-American our radical anti-American President sets loose upon us.

Army Brat on July 3, 2010 at 9:24 PM

Would the discovery of Che monikered apparrel in Kagen’s closet surprise ANYONE?

Freddy on July 4, 2010 at 10:38 PM

Any Republican who votes for this miserable excuse for a Supreme Court nominee is voting for an Obama rubber-stamp.

No experience as a judge.
Less than 2 years experience as a lawyer.
Not an originalist.
Is an Obama sycophant.
Wouldn’t answer Coburn’s question about the government’s power to tell us what to eat; ie she’s a nanny-stater.
Is anti-military, and takes this position into the courts.

Mark7788 on July 5, 2010 at 12:58 AM