Too bad to check: NRA thinking of endorsing Reid over Sharron Angle?

posted at 4:50 pm on July 1, 2010 by Allahpundit

Not as far-fetched as it might seem. Just last year, they sent a letter to their Nevada members urging them to thank Reid for publicly opposing reinstating the assault-weapons ban. But that was then and this is now, and knowing which way their national membership skews politically — and how activist-minded conservatives have become since tea-party fever took hold — would they dare endorse the guy grassroots righties most desperately want to replace in November?

Gonna lose a lot of donations if you do, folks.

Now, I’m getting credible reports that the NRA is leaning toward endorsing Harry Reid, even though the NRA is finally saying it will score a vote on Kagan — something that was not a sure thing.

Why would they do this? Why would they go out of their way to protect a Senator who has demonstrated a repeated hostility to the Second Amendment in his votes and his leadership?

Well, I thought perhaps the NRA carveout in the DISCLOSE Act might be the answer. But, there is more. It turns out, Reid secured a $61 million earmark for a gun range in Clark County, Nevada…

But, here is the problem. Reid has not supported the Second Amendment “every day.” Or ever.

Reid has a lifetime rating of “F” from Gun Owners of America (who Ron Paul once called “the only no-compromise gun lobby in Washington”). GOA is actively supporting the 100% pro-gun Republican nominee, Sharron Angle, in her campaign to unseat Harry Reid.

Follow the link up top for a list of anti-gun votes cast by Reid. Jim Geraghty plays devil’s advocate:

Believe me, I’ve had this sort of discussion many times. An argument put to me is that the Second Amendment would be better protected with a Senate that had, say, 52 Democrats led by pro-gun Harry Reid than 51 Democrats led by the most likely alternatives, Chuck Schumer or Dick Durbin. Since the chances of Senate majority leader Mitch McConnell are not great, it is in the best interest of the NRA and its members to have the most pro-gun Democratic Senate majority leader they can get.

Translation: He ain’t great but he’s the NRA’s best option under the circumstances. I’d add that it might be especially important to them to have Reid there right now in the wake of the Supreme Court’s latest decision on gun rights. I fully expect crime will drop as gun bans in major cities like Chicago are relaxed (a bit), but there are a lot of variables that go into that and the NRA surely knows that an aggressively anti-gun majority leader will look to capitalize if violence ticks upward anywhere initially. Reid, because he has to worry about votes in rural Nevada, is a better bet than Schumer or Durbin not to bring anything too dicey to the Senate floor. Then again, it’s a mortal lock that the GOP will have more seats next year than they do now. Given the terror felt by moderates like Olympia Snowe after Bob Bennett was ousted by tea partiers in Utah, how would any sort of anti-gun bill avoid a filibuster? Reid struggled for weeks to get to 60 on financial reform despite having 59 seats; how’s he going to get to 60 on a new assault-weapons ban when he has only 53 or 54?

What’s worrisome about this rumor, actually, is that it may show how little confidence the NRA has in an Angle victory. She’s up seven at last check, but the kookier elements of her resume have been trickling out from lefty media. Wait until late summer when Reid turns on the advertising hose full force. Maybe LaPierre and co. figure there’s no sense in antagonizing a guy whom they think is bound to win. It’ll be interesting to see if they end up simply avoiding this race altogether and endorsing no one.

Via Red State, here’s video from April of Reid and LaPierre at that earmarked gun range.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Has the NRA “evolved” from a 2nd Admendment advocate into an AARP clone?

An aside…$61 million for a gun range out in a desert?

Gohawgs on July 1, 2010 at 6:44 PM

diogenes on July 1, 2010 at 4:55 PM

Sorry diogenes, I didn’t see your post…

Gohawgs on July 1, 2010 at 6:46 PM

1. who owned the land before it was bought with some of the monies via the 61 million dollar earmark?
2. was it private, county or federal land?
3. was the County involved with this at all?

those questions would be good to start answering.

upinak on July 1, 2010 at 6:52 PM

Considering they just gagged their board members from talking about anti-gun Elena Kagan…
MadisonConservative on July 1, 2010 at 5:00 PM

Unless Chris Cox was lying today, they didn’t gag the Board members from speaking as individuals, but only from speaking as a representative of the Board, until the NRA had an official position.

Cox: “Can you imagine trying to gag Ted Nugent?”

eeyore on July 1, 2010 at 6:55 PM

Calling Uncle Ted, calling Uncle Ted! Help us Terrible Ted!
The Nuge will straighten them out!

MCGIRV on July 1, 2010 at 6:55 PM

Our home will not deal with nra again. Our home will not deal with aarp. My heart aches that Chuck Heston is going under the bus! Just keep in mind people who nra is dealing with, vote with your convictions. We vote and we are mad. Those voting for dingy, give a think, who will keep you safe?
L

letget on July 1, 2010 at 7:06 PM

diogenes on July 1, 2010 at 4:55 PM

Sorry diogenes, I didn’t see your post…

Gohawgs on July 1, 2010 at 6:46 PM
I’m glad we’re on the same page.
This should be vetted very soon.

diogenes on July 1, 2010 at 7:08 PM

Time to scrape the NRA sticker off the windshield.

GOA just gained another member.

Gothguy on July 1, 2010 at 7:21 PM

NRA is going the way of AARP and AMA. Sleeping with the Enemy.

Tav on July 1, 2010 at 7:53 PM

YOU.CANNOT.BE.SERIOUS!

I can assure you, in no uncertain terms, that I am firing off a letter NRA at the close of this little rant, that if they do this I am canceling my membership in good standing of the last 31yrs.

Effective immediately!

Archimedes on July 1, 2010 at 7:56 PM

The danger of one-trick ponies.

ThePrez on July 1, 2010 at 8:04 PM

Someone posted a study last year that most organizations will trend left or liberal over time. Just a fact of organizational life.

Dandapani on July 1, 2010 at 8:07 PM

I don’t believe it but I’ll find out – they will have got their last dime from me, I’ll guarangdtee if it’s true. Plus, hate mail to their “contact us” site and word of mouth to the several members I personally know. Cut the money off and let’s see which way they swing.

thebookkeeper on July 1, 2010 at 8:17 PM

If the NRA supports ANY Liberal, not only have they seen the last dime from me, but, to put this in the most polite possible way- they may feel free to go engage in sexual relations with themselves.

oldleprechaun on July 1, 2010 at 8:22 PM

I’ll cancel my membership if they do!

CCRWM on July 1, 2010 at 8:38 PM

Count me in on the letter writing!
Next “survey” they send askin for money will be sent back with a note “you lay down with dogs you wake up with fleas”

If they do this “endorse Reid” they are no better than that smelly stuff I get on my shoes from the dog kennel! Every request will be returned in their postage paid envelopes “No Thanks Traitors, just like I do AARPs!

61 Million for one gun range?
WTF why not 61 gun ranges for 1 million each if they wanna be helpful.

I coulda sold em a sand pit for less than 1 million.

dhunter on July 1, 2010 at 8:58 PM

And people complain I don’t join the NRA. The NRA are supporters of gun control.

Tim Burton on July 1, 2010 at 9:04 PM

Calling Uncle Ted, calling Uncle Ted! Help us Terrible Ted!
The Nuge will straighten them out!

MCGIRV on July 1, 2010 at 6:55 PM

Ted is needed to crap his pants like he did at his draft physical or take a student deferment when he was not a student and boasts about never going to college .

borntoraisehogs on July 1, 2010 at 9:10 PM

Membership cancellations by the millions should follow if they do.

Mine will be one.

notropis on July 1, 2010 at 9:16 PM

Just heard on Cam & Company on NRA News; RedState is talking shit and they’ve not endorsed anyone.

liquidflorian on July 1, 2010 at 9:38 PM

liquidflorian on July 1, 2010 at 9:38 PM

LOL I lurvs teh internets.

Kenosha Kid on July 1, 2010 at 10:03 PM

You might want to do some research into the GOA. It is a family owned company with a membership that is dwarfed by the NRA. They do not burden themselves with a board of directors or member input on policy. The NRA makes endorsement decisions based on strict, published guidelines. They don’t worry about the GOA’s rating, they have their own which has worked well for them for many, many years.

InTheBellyoftheBeast on July 1, 2010 at 10:19 PM

They also endorsed Bart Stupak as did Right to Life. I’ve given up on looking at endorsements, because the people who really deserve them never get them. These organizations pick the people they think are going to win so they don’t look like they back losers. The NRA and Right to Life have lost their relevance. I’m an NRA member but I will drop them like a hot poker if they endorse Reed! First Jim Zumbo bad mouths other hunters because they were using “assault rifles” to hunt varmints and now the NRA is endorsing one of the most dangerous men in America?

flytier on July 1, 2010 at 10:27 PM

I just read a number of the comments above. Folks, aren’t we supposed to be above the knee-jerk reactionaries they have in abundance on the left? Until I read the endorsement, or Wayne himself tells me they are going to endorse Reid, I and not going to drink the Let’s-all-quit-the-NRA kool aid. The NRA is one of a precious few groups out there holding the life line to liberty. We lose our defense, we lose our freedom – it is that simple.

InTheBellyoftheBeast on July 1, 2010 at 10:28 PM

I already told NRA I wouldn’t be renewing my membership unless they repudiated the DISCLOSE act and worked to get it defeated in the Senate. They sent back a list of links to position statements by NRA leadership, all of which said basically, First Amendment be damned, all we care about is the Second Amendment. They’ve lost their way, and I’m joining GOA instead.

Tyrone Slothrop on July 1, 2010 at 11:03 PM

An aside…$61 million for a gun range out in a desert?

Gohawgs on July 1, 2010 at 6:44 PM

LOL! I was thinking the same thing. I would think a $5 sign that says “There it is have at it” would be all you need.

Caper29 on July 1, 2010 at 11:36 PM

How many Acorn members infiltrated the NRA when someone was wiping their ass?

Coronagold on July 2, 2010 at 12:15 AM

I was listening to NRA’s radio program on XM tonight and they denied the entire thing. They did not mention Redstate by name, just “a blog making false accusations.” I have no idea who is telling the truth.

Logboy on July 2, 2010 at 2:18 AM

The NRA is a train off the tracks. Time for the membership to take matters into their own hands.

Ricohoc on July 2, 2010 at 3:50 AM

$61 million for a gun range in the Nevada desert??? Look at the video–now, show me the money, cause I ain’t seein’ it. Harry Reid and Wayne LaPierre can both go to hell.

SukieTawdry on July 2, 2010 at 11:55 AM

2. was it private, county or federal land?
3. was the County involved with this at all?

those questions would be good to start answering.

upinak on July 1, 2010 at 6:52 PM

The land was BLM and Harry negotiated to get it approved for the gun range.

Most of Nevada is owned and controlled by the federal government.

Jvette on July 2, 2010 at 2:30 PM

Life member. I checked the web. And canceled Red State. Bye Eric.

Caststeel on July 2, 2010 at 3:22 PM

First LGF was not reliable but mostly conservative then went out of bounds. Now Red State following the same path. BTW I think this is Eric and not their all of the commenters. I will say that repeated attempts will not get me on their approved list.

As far as Gun Owners of America, they are on the bandwagon, too. Anybody remember Regan’s 11th commandment? Seems like this is not the first time they have pulled this stunt.

BTW I contribute to 2nd Amendment Foundation who also stands firm with NRA.

Caststeel on July 2, 2010 at 3:33 PM