Obama: American citizenship “not a matter of blood or birth”

posted at 12:55 pm on July 1, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Well, actually, it is a matter of birth, at least, in the sense of natural-born citizenship.  The Fourteenth Amendment makes that all too clear, which is why the issue of “anchor babies” has been part of the immigration debate for the last several years.  Those opposed to that reading of the Constitution might like what Barack Obama had to say about it in his widely-anticipated speech on immigration today (click the picture to watch):

“Being an American is not a matter of blood or birth, it’s a matter of faith,” President Obama declared at a speech he gave on immigration.

Obama also blamed “resentment” to new immigrants to poor economic conditions.

“Now, we can’t forget that this process of immigration and eventual inclusion has often been painful. Each new wave of immigrants has generated fear and resentment towards newcomers, particularly in times of economic upheaval,” Obama said.

We know what Obama meant in this passage — a similarity to those who have expressed the notion that they were Americans before ever setting foot in the US, thanks to their love of liberty.  However, the people expressing that concept came to the US through legal immigration, and didn’t presume to break our laws in order to express their desire to live in freedom.  They understood that the aspirational concept of being American and the legal status of American citizenship (or even residency) are two completely different things.

Besides, if being an American is a matter of faith, then the religion in question is devotion to the rule of law.  We have created the laws by which we live through representative democracy within a framework set by our Constitution.  Breaking the law to get into the country isn’t an expression of faith; using Obama’s construct, it’s actually heresy.

Obama and his open-borders allies attempt to blur the difference between illegal and legal immigration.  Almost no one of consequence opposes the latter.  Everyone of the “faith” of Americanism should insist on enforcing the laws against the former.  Unfortunately, this President — and many of those who have come before him — have proven rather faithless in this task.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Don’t forget his crocodile tears for law enforcement: “Laws like Arizona’s put huge pressures on local law enforcement to enforce rules that ultimately are unenforceable…”

So now he’s a libertarian, or is it anarchist?

Drained Brain on July 1, 2010 at 12:57 PM

“Being an American is not a matter of blood or birth, it’s a matter of faith,”

And you’ll have no God but Big Government.

What a bleeping tool this jack ass is.

rbj on July 1, 2010 at 12:58 PM

The United States of America
July 4, 1776 – July 1, 2010

It was fun while it lasted…

… Where’s the after party?

Seven Percent Solution on July 1, 2010 at 12:58 PM

Well, actually, it is a matter of birth, at least, in the sense of natural-born citizenship. The Fourteenth Amendment makes that all too clear, which is why the issue of “anchor babies” has been part of the immigration debate for the last several years.

I guess Obama is coming out against the 14th Amendment.

tetriskid on July 1, 2010 at 12:58 PM

I think we need a Spanish Inquisition system to root out the heretics!

JonPrichard on July 1, 2010 at 12:59 PM

This weekend at my place.

I’ve got a stocked liquor cabinet that I plan to drain by the time I go back to work on Tuesday.

teke184 on July 1, 2010 at 12:59 PM

Did he or did he not swear an oath to defend The Constitution?

Sir Napsalot on July 1, 2010 at 12:59 PM

Besides, if being an American is a matter of faith, then the religion in question is devotion to the rule of law. We have created the laws by which we live through representative democracy within a framework set by our Constitution. Breaking the law to get into the country isn’t an expression of faith; using Obama’s construct, it’s actually heresy.

Exactly so. Well said, Ed.

Farmer_Joe on July 1, 2010 at 12:59 PM

Um, if being an American is a matter of faith not legality, let’s expand this fresh, exciting concept.

I think paying taxes is a religious choice, not a legal one. I’m going atheist.

George Orwell on July 1, 2010 at 12:59 PM

From the WSJ:

The last time Mr. Obama was on the American University campus was for a rally during the 2008 campaign, in which he received the endorsement of the late Sen. Edward Kennedy (D, Mass.) before a cheering crowd of 6,000 in the basketball arena. This time, the event was held in an atrium of the School of International Service with about 250 invited, subdued guests. He wasn’t interrupted for applause a single time.

Whoa.

LASue on July 1, 2010 at 12:59 PM

I guess Obama is coming out against the 14th Amendment.

tetriskid on July 1, 2010

Maybe he’s a ‘Birther’.

JonPrichard on July 1, 2010 at 1:00 PM

I see Obama and all I hear is “hee haw… hee haw…”

faraway on July 1, 2010 at 1:00 PM

Faith….faith in the system, and many have no idea what the “system” is.
Faith implies a certain knowledge and acceptance of policy.

‘Faith without works is dead!’

One must work and secure their faith, not just sit back and accept all that is given.
That is why we have immigration laws, so people can put their faith to work, and work towards being a citizen.

right2bright on July 1, 2010 at 1:01 PM

I have a Hispanic friend who is a Phoenix cop and he is ECSTATIC about SB 1070. He said the Mexican gang members who have thumbed their nose at him for years are not quite as cocky these days.

Kataklysmic on July 1, 2010 at 1:01 PM

To have this speech before July 4th is just a slap in the face. He just doesn’t get this country.

txmomof6 on July 1, 2010 at 1:01 PM

If Obama accepts illegal immigrants as legal…then he has no faith in our constitution.

right2bright on July 1, 2010 at 1:02 PM

“Being an American is not a matter of blood or birth, it’s a matter of faith,”

Sorry, Allahpundit.

Abby Adams on July 1, 2010 at 1:02 PM

So, he is admitting to not being a Citizen?

Holger on July 1, 2010 at 1:02 PM

Well, considering the lack of faith that Obama has in America–a lack of faith he has demonstrated by words and deeds over and over again–and if citizenship is not a matter of blood or birth–by his own words, Obama states he is not an American.

INC on July 1, 2010 at 1:02 PM

If the concept of citizenship is nullified, we’re left with nothing. Defined borders and defined citizenship are the most basic things you need to actually be a nation state.

I hope he fails.

forest on July 1, 2010 at 1:03 PM

I know what—let’s just forget any border. Heck, let’s just forget state borders, too!!

mobydutch on July 1, 2010 at 1:03 PM

So, he is admitting to not being a Citizen?

Holger on July 1, 2010 at 1:02 PM

Ha! You had exactly the same thought I did!!

INC on July 1, 2010 at 1:03 PM

He’s just simply floundering at this point.

LastRick on July 1, 2010 at 1:03 PM

Thank goodness that the “Godly Reverb” was available for this speech.

dirtseller on July 1, 2010 at 1:03 PM

Obama: American citizenship “not a matter of blood or birth”

And not required to be president either huh Skippy?

conservnut on July 1, 2010 at 1:03 PM

Line between illegal and legal immigration argument is so stupid. Don’t you get Obama wants to make every illegal legal. There goes you’re stupid protest. The argument is about border security and limiting access to those who can help our republic.

PrezHussein on July 1, 2010 at 1:04 PM

“Being an American is not a matter of blood or birth, it’s a matter of faith,”

WTF does this even mean?

lorien1973 on July 1, 2010 at 1:04 PM

… Where’s the after party?

Seven Percent Solution on July 1, 2010 at 12:58 PM

North Korea, Venezuela, Iran, Syria, China…

trigon on July 1, 2010 at 1:04 PM

666

mjbrooks3 on July 1, 2010 at 1:04 PM

right2bright on July 1, 2010

I don’t think he understands this at all.

txmomof6 on July 1, 2010

I don’t think he understands this at all.

Truly, we could do this forever…

JonPrichard on July 1, 2010 at 1:04 PM

Rush was all over this, befoe the break. It brought me to tears, because Obama has no clue. No idea. No concept of what this country is about, or what it was founded on.

capejasmine on July 1, 2010 at 1:05 PM

Wow that had a lot of grammar mistakes.
Limiting access to only those who will support the constitution and not be a drain on our resources.

PrezHussein on July 1, 2010 at 1:05 PM

Impeachment for this treasonous, dangerous TOOL cannot happen soon enough!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Flyboy on July 1, 2010 at 1:05 PM

Got a link LA Sue? Sounds like an interesting read. I can’t stomach this jerk anymore.

Renwaa on July 1, 2010 at 1:05 PM

The man is simply trying to justify his very own qualifications to serve as president.

GoldenEagle4444 on July 1, 2010 at 1:06 PM

This statement adds to impeachable offenses. He clearly denies and undermines the Constitution:

Each president recites the following oath, in accordance with Article II, Section I of the U.S. Constitution:

“I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.”

INC on July 1, 2010 at 1:06 PM

This is Bush’s fault.

He had eight years to fix it but he refused to listen to his voters requirement that he first secure the borders. Only when it was too late did he half heartedly pretend to start securing our borders.

RJL on July 1, 2010 at 1:06 PM

“Being an American is not a matter of blood or birth, it’s a matter of faith,”
WTF does this even mean?

lorien1973 on July 1, 2010 at 1:04 PM

My best guess is……it means Obama believes in completely open borders, one world order, and he’ll be at the helm of it all. If you believe you’re an American…then you are. He’s a warped individual.

capejasmine on July 1, 2010 at 1:06 PM

Who writes this crap for him? Worst speech writers ever.

ButterflyDragon on July 1, 2010 at 1:06 PM

“Being an American is not a matter of blood or birth, it’s a matter of faith,”

What the eff is he talking about?? So being American is a religion now? He should fire his speech writers. He sounds like he is in an 11th grade “problems of democracy” class…

JAM on July 1, 2010 at 1:07 PM

“Being an American is not a matter of blood or birth, it’s a matter of faith,”

Also..

Theocracy!

lorien1973 on July 1, 2010 at 1:07 PM

txmomof6 on July 1, 2010 at 1:01 PM

spot on…

However, the people expressing that concept came to the US through legal immigration, and didn’t presume to break our laws in order to express their desire to live in freedom. They understood that the aspirational concept of being American and the legal status of American citizenship (or even residency) are two completely different things.

it’s called assimilation, they want to be americans….
the folks crossing illegaly do they really want to be americans OR are they only here for the $$

cmsinaz on July 1, 2010 at 1:07 PM

RJL on July 1, 2010 at 1:06 PM

This goes back before Bush. Several Presidents had opportunity to fix this, and didn’t.

capejasmine on July 1, 2010 at 1:07 PM

What we really need to do apparently is clarify for this nitwit just which Constitution he was sworn to uphold and protect.

VelvetElvis on July 1, 2010 at 1:07 PM

I truly despise this man.

barrythrowslikeagirl on July 1, 2010 at 1:08 PM

This man is an ass!!

jeanie on July 1, 2010 at 1:08 PM

If being an American is a matter of faith, can I lose my faith and not pay taxes?

lorien1973 on July 1, 2010 at 1:08 PM

Money quote from the speech:

” It makes it difficult for people here illegally to report crimes,…”

Umm, last time I checked, being here illegally is a crime

ConservativePartyNow on July 1, 2010 at 1:08 PM

I don’t think he understands this at all.

Truly, we could do this forever…

JonPrichard on July 1, 2010 at 1:04 PM

Such a sad true statement…it breaks my heart, he refuses to understand.

right2bright on July 1, 2010 at 1:08 PM

Being an American is not a matter of blood or birth, it’s a matter of faith,”

Maybe this is a shout out to the Birthers – they shouldn’t concern themselves with all that birth certificate stuff since we all “know” how much faith he has in the country. /s

katiejane on July 1, 2010 at 1:09 PM

ButterflyDragon on July 1, 2010 at 1:06 PM

23 yos fresh out of their lib colleges who have NO idea what life is like outside of academia

cmsinaz on July 1, 2010 at 1:09 PM

Mushy-minded liberals should never hold positions of authority – especially not the presidency.

thevastlane on July 1, 2010 at 1:09 PM

Axelrod: “Great job Barry”

Obama: “Yeah, I know. What’s my tee time today?”

fogw on July 1, 2010 at 1:09 PM

lorien1973 on July 1, 2010 at 1:08 PM

Tax atheist…I like that…

right2bright on July 1, 2010 at 1:09 PM

He is an insult and embarrassment to the UNITED STATES of AMERICA!

CynicalOptimist on July 1, 2010 at 1:09 PM

Who writes this crap for him? Worst speech writers ever.

ButterflyDragon

JINX!!

JAM on July 1, 2010 at 1:10 PM

WTF??? I mean, REALLY … W T F ???

This smooth-talking Kenyan Marxist hustler claims to be a “constitutional lawyer”?

Gimmie a break!

bannedbyhuffpo on July 1, 2010 at 1:10 PM

/Jiminy Cricket voice ON:

When you wish upon a star….

/Jiminy Cricket voice OFF

UltimateBob on July 1, 2010 at 1:10 PM

I guess Obama is coming out against the 14th Amendment.

tetriskid on July 1, 2010 at 12:58 PM

Is it clear that Obama does not “support, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States” yet?!

There is nothing I have heard from him where he so clearly and completely renounces – and discards! – the Constitution, along with all the rules of law and precedent related to US citizenship. This is not a “misstatement” or a “mistake in interpretation” – this guy means what he is saying.

Obama deserves to be impeached. Yeah, yeah, I know….he won’t be, because of the oligarchy running Congress. As so often said, but never more clearly demonstrated, this man is unashamedly un-American. He breaks his oath of office in this speech. He must be removed from office.

DINORight on July 1, 2010 at 1:10 PM

Renwaa on July 1, 2010 at 1:05 PM

I found it.

Obama Makes Pitch for Immigration Overhaul

It’s the bottom paragraph.

It’s too bad no one interrupted to boo.

INC on July 1, 2010 at 1:11 PM

fogw on July 1, 2010 at 1:09 PM

he must be taking a 4 day golf weekend, eh?

cmsinaz on July 1, 2010 at 1:11 PM

The first post-American president setting the standard for what it means to be an American.., faith based American.. uh, neo-post-industrial-new-worldian…errhh, Kaaaahhhhhnnnn…..

Zorg on July 1, 2010 at 1:11 PM

I think on the 4th I’ll print out a picture of Obama, take it out on the front lawn and put a flag staff right through the middle of it.

All in favor?

fogw on July 1, 2010 at 1:11 PM

lorien1973 on July 1, 2010 at 1:08 PM

Hell, can I lose faith and become an illegal? It seems they actually have rights.

Holger on July 1, 2010 at 1:12 PM

lorien1973

If congress can deem a budget passed w/out submitting one, then I submit we can “deem” our taxes paid, w/out paying them!!

JAM on July 1, 2010 at 1:12 PM

He is an insult and embarrassment to the UNITED STATES of AMERICA!

CynicalOptimist on July 1, 2010 at 1:09 PM
+1000

mobydutch on July 1, 2010 at 1:13 PM

And Øbama actually taught Constitutional law! Amazing! I’m not a “birther”, but birthers are no more kooky than Øbama and his notion of citizenship and the constitution.

cartooner on July 1, 2010 at 1:13 PM

LOL. I guess he’s outing himself as a birther. Citizenship is not a matter of blood or birth, just look at me! How did I get here?

I think this dude is losing it, live, on television…. every day. Wow.

Key West Reader on July 1, 2010 at 1:13 PM

Obama: American citizenship “not a matter of blood or birth”

He should know.

Dr. ZhivBlago on July 1, 2010 at 1:13 PM

Ouch. Didn’t pull any punches hear. I can see the bruise from my front porch.

chemman on July 1, 2010 at 1:14 PM

Obama also blamed “resentment” to new immigrants to poor economic conditions.

Strawman.

I “blame” a reverence for the rule of law, which most legal immigrants value among the greatest advantages of this country–unlike the countries that they leave.

BuckeyeSam on July 1, 2010 at 1:14 PM

As is often the case, Ed, this is so important that I wanted to comment, but you already said everything…better than I could have. Keep up the good work, sir.

itsnotaboutme on July 1, 2010 at 1:14 PM

What a complete and utter fool.

WisCon on July 1, 2010 at 1:14 PM

This is Bush’s fault.

RJL on July 1, 2010 at 1:06 PM

Don’t be stupid…this has been going on for decades…Reagan (1986) tried to solve the problem and democrats deceived him and lied to him.
If they would have stayed the course of Reagan bill, none of this would be happening.
Since then we have had: Bush, Clinton, Bush, Obama…with just 4 of those years congress controlled by Republicans, the rest by democrats.

right2bright on July 1, 2010 at 1:15 PM

“Being an American is not a matter of blood or birth, it’s a matter of faith,”

Translation…

“The actual number of illegal aliens in the United States is closer to 50 million…

… and since we’ve spent every nickle of Social Security, if any of you want to see a check, you best allow them to start paying taxes and vote Democrat.”

Seven Percent Solution on July 1, 2010 at 1:15 PM

cartooner on July 1, 2010 at 1:13 PM

Release the transcripts. Until then, nothing is verified, nothing is trusted and nothing is confirmed. Release the transcripts and while we’re at it, let’s take a nice, close look at UmmChelle’s records, too.

Key West Reader on July 1, 2010 at 1:15 PM

Well then, call me a “birther” because Obama’s faith (belief system) is certainly not American.

CC

CapedConservative on July 1, 2010 at 1:15 PM

great analysis Ed

ted c on July 1, 2010 at 1:15 PM

mobydutch on July 1, 2010 at 1:03 PM

Why stop there?

We’re all Chicagoans now.

Ward Cleaver on July 1, 2010 at 1:16 PM

Obama: American citizenship “not a matter of blood or birth”

Well, when its not by birth, its a matter of legality….as in immigrating here legally, you twit. Or is that “Mr. President Twit”?

tgharris on July 1, 2010 at 1:16 PM

Who writes this crap for him? Worst speech writers ever.

ButterflyDragon on July 1, 2010 at 1:06 PM

I can just imagine Barry climbing aboard AF-1 after one of these lame ass speeches, and Axelrod comes up and high-fives him and says, “Great job, Boss! Now let’s go play some golf.”

UltimateBob on July 1, 2010 at 1:16 PM

So, he is admitting to not being a Citizen?

Holger on July 1, 2010 at 1:02 PM

It sure sounds that way to me.
I wish we could fire this jackass.

txsurveyor on July 1, 2010 at 1:16 PM

capejasmine on July 1, 2010 at 1:06 PM

Makes taxation of Americans a little more difficult.
If you have faith in America but reside in France, can we tax this person via a new faith tax?

Electrongod on July 1, 2010 at 1:17 PM

Actually, Ed, the 14th only describes “citizen”, not a “natural born Citizen.” A natural born Citizen is an Constitutional term-of-art that only appears in Article II of the Constitution in describing the qualification for President (and VP). Some would say that “natural born Citizenship” is not only a matter of birth, but also a matter of citizenship of your parents. But I know that is blasphemy…

Flame me as a dirty birther in 3..2..1..

P.S. No surprise Obama wants to blur all this together.

tommylotto on July 1, 2010 at 1:17 PM

I really think that he needs to be checked inot Walter Reed or wherever for pyschological analysis

ConservativePartyNow on July 1, 2010 at 1:18 PM

Obama: American citizenship “not a matter of blood or birth”

So where were you born again Barry? /

Well looks like Arnold can run for President now, eh?

portlandon on July 1, 2010 at 1:18 PM

As usual, Obama is not making any sense.
He would save us all time and confusion if he just made everyone legal or got rid of elections.
Then we wouldn’t have to listen to anymore nonsense speeches.

ORconservative on July 1, 2010 at 1:19 PM

How much longer do we have to listen to this enemy of our country? When and how do we start impeachment proceedings?

dragondrop on July 1, 2010 at 1:19 PM

Let’s face it. The man is either drunk, stoned, on drugs or all three. He does not look well.

Key West Reader on July 1, 2010 at 1:19 PM

BHO is a maggot and as you can see he is slowly eating away of the dying carcass of the United States.

SgtRed on July 1, 2010 at 1:20 PM

Barry Soetoro (correct me if I am wrong but is he the first president to have changed his name?) is a domestic enemy of the Constitution of the United States.

Moving day for the Obama’s cannot come soon enough.

turfmann on July 1, 2010 at 1:20 PM

So now he’s a libertarian, or is it anarchist?

Drained Brain on July 1, 2010 at 12:57 PM

Oh, anARCHist. I think I misread you the first time through.

rihar on July 1, 2010 at 1:20 PM

Why stop there?

We’re all Chicagoans now.

Ward Cleaver on July 1, 2010 at 1:16 PM
What a glorious thought!!!

mobydutch on July 1, 2010 at 1:20 PM

Faith? You mean the sort he learned in the Marxist pews of the Rev. Wright’s “church”.

He’s the biggest phony in the world. And Rush was on a roll about his peas in a pod nominee, Elena Kagan, who isn’t too sure about our unalienable rights – which we are all born with as the true citizens of the world.

Buy Danish on July 1, 2010 at 1:21 PM

Obama, himself, continues to fuel the birther debate. Why? What intent does he have in doing this?

Shiny_Tiara on July 1, 2010 at 1:21 PM

I can hardly describe how I’m feeling. Like it’s all slipping away. In broad daylight.

hoosiermama on July 1, 2010 at 1:21 PM

Constitutional scholar?

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

IntheNet on July 1, 2010 at 1:21 PM

Awesome point Ed.

shick on July 1, 2010 at 1:22 PM

cartooner on July 1, 2010 at 1:13 PM

I’m not sure he ever taught the Constitution. The only photo I’ve seen of him in the classroom was a picture of Obama diagramming Alinsky tactics!

INC on July 1, 2010 at 1:22 PM

It sickens me that the fluffers in the media support his straw man that if we don’t support illegal immigrants we don’t support any immigrants.
And no, we can’t deport 12 million (or more) illegals at one time. So what? We can deport a couple hundred at a time and keep doing it as long as it takes…while building the effing wall!

Extrafishy on July 1, 2010 at 1:22 PM