GOP remains firm against further deficit spending on jobs benefits

posted at 12:15 pm on July 1, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

After extending unemployment benefits out to two years, some have begun to question the wisdom of perpetually extending the cutoff of federal aid for the unemployed.  Many more object to additional deficit spending to fund it.  Democrats, however, refused to compromise on the question, even after outgoing Senator George Voinovich (R-OH) offered to split the difference:

The Senate failed once again late Wednesday to advance a plan to restore jobless benefits for people out of work more than six months, leaving millions of unemployed workers in limbo until after the July 4 recess.

The measure fell one vote shy of the 60 needed to end a Republican filibuster. Sen. George V. Voinovich (R-Ohio) said he was prepared to provide that vote, but that Democrats had rejected his request to pay for at least half of the $34 billion measure with unspent funds from last year’s stimulus package.

“Democrats are more interested in having this issue to demagogue for political gamesmanship than they are in simply passing the benefits extension,” Voinovich, who is retiring, said in a statement. “I came to the table with a fair compromise and the ball is in their court.”

Earlier, the AP reported it as Republicans refusing to fund jobless benefits, which gets it exactly wrong.  They later edited the passage to note only that Republicans blocked the bill that would have authorized the payment of benefits past the current cutoff date of two years, but earlier had written that Republicans “opposed” any such extension.  The Washington Post gets it right.

I disagree with Voinovich’s compromise, but it did have a salutary impact.  It made clear which side of the debate wants to hold the jobless hostage to ideology.  The unused Porkulus funds have already been authorized and would make sense to use in this effort, since Democrats have argued all along that jobless benefits were an important part of rescuing the economy.  However, those funds already got earmarked for pet projects of Congressional Democrats and the wish list of progressives over the last 20 years.  They care more about their pork-barrel projects than they do about providing extra benefits for the jobless.  Harry Reid’s argument over the definition of “emergency” is a red herring.

We should not be expanding deficit spending any further than the Democrats in Congress have already created with its massive expansion of annual federal spending during its time in control of Congress.  The federal government should use the funds already authorized for use in the economic crisis to pay for any expansion of jobless benefits if that’s the policy they choose.  Adding more debt to the US only extends the economic crisis, making the expansion of deficits a self-destructive cycle.  Republicans did the right thing by standing on that principle.  Let Democrats choose between their pork and the constituents that Reid loves slightly less than his pet projects.

Comments

STOP SPENDING, STOP SPENDING, STOP SPENDING STOP SPENDING!!!

PatriotRider on July 1, 2010 at 12:17 PM

Good.

I, along with all other self-employed or contract workers, qualify for exactly zero days of UC benefits. I’m required to pay into the state fund, and I pay federal taxes, which are being used to subsidize endless UC for others, but I don’t get one day of it if I lose work. Not one day.

It makes sense that we don’t qualify because we could just lay ourselves off from time to time to have a paid vacation, but I’m tired of paying into it and hearing sob stories from people who’ve been collecting for two years..

forest on July 1, 2010 at 12:20 PM

I read the AP article this morning and snorted.

JAM on July 1, 2010 at 12:21 PM

Look, I would be in the market for a cave somewhere preferably with a sandy floor so I could stick my head in and forget about the big world—that’s if I were able to afford it. Many of the self-employed in this country are in real trouble but are seldom/never mentioned in the gov. stats. It’s more important to extend benefits to the ‘unemployed’. I wonder what the government thinks we all will be if businesses go under?

jeanie on July 1, 2010 at 12:23 PM

If you subsidize something, you get more of it.
Two plus years of unemployment benefits subsidizes unemployment, ergo…

WashJeff on July 1, 2010 at 12:23 PM

Yay!

bloggless on July 1, 2010 at 12:23 PM

Tea Partiers need to look a little more menacing on spending. Change the name to the Pitchfork Patrol.

The Democrats are absolutely unserious about this issue, and every GOP member of Congress should begin and end the discussion with the line: Let’s use unspent stimulus funds of which there is $[fill in the number] billion out of the $862 billion (?) stimulus package authorized by Democrats alone.”

BuckeyeSam on July 1, 2010 at 12:23 PM

forest on July 1, 2010 at 12:20 PM

+1. An my unemployment went up 60% (!) for “employment support fund”

Hunt035 on July 1, 2010 at 12:25 PM

I firmly the double dip is coming. We sort never really covered, just will from panic to very little panic.

I not going to predict what’s going to happen until we get the Lame Duck November congress. It could be real nightmare.

Oil Can on July 1, 2010 at 12:25 PM

GOP remains firm

Except RINOs Snowe & Collins.

Anita on July 1, 2010 at 12:26 PM

They print a Trillion dollars and can not come up with 33 billion? what is that? 3.3% of the stimulus money?

Isn’t putting the money in the hands of the people the best way to get it into the economy?

Anyway, I’m against unemployment benefits that are beyond 26 weeks. This 99 weeks they are trying to promote is absurd.

bbordwell on July 1, 2010 at 12:30 PM

forest on July 1, 2010 at 12:20 PM

Incorporate. Hire yourself as a full time employee. Lay yourself off. Get benefits. It works and many do it.

angryed on July 1, 2010 at 12:31 PM

Not sure about this, but don’t think the unemployment stats reflect the self employed whose business go under and leave the owners out of work. Small business owners are not eleigible for UC so nowhere does this form of unemployment show up. I’ll bet the stats would be a lot higher if they reflected these. Obama has not even a glimmer of understanding of what it takes to start and maintain ones own business so I don’t think we can expect much help there. The only groups of folks this man ‘gets’ are union members and the perpetually poor.

jeanie on July 1, 2010 at 12:33 PM

We will see if the r’s actually stand firm on this.
O/T: It seems this bho is going down the tube again, Rasmussen-19 today. I hope after that illegal alien speech, it goes down to -30!
L

letget on July 1, 2010 at 12:34 PM

Can someone explain who these pet projects appear not to generate any jobs?

Cindy Munford on July 1, 2010 at 12:35 PM

bbordwell on July 1, 2010 at 12:30 PM

My mom’s cousin lives in a suburb of Los Angeles and she has two weeks of unemployment left. She’s never received an extension and there are NO jobs for her and she’s too young for social security.

Look folks, people ARE suffering out here as well all know and I dare say the majority aren’t milking the system (turning down work to stay on unemployment.)

I see nothing wrong with cutting government wasteful spending and voting for an extension to the benefits. But they must not add to the deficit. It makes me mad enough to just smack the $hit out of Pelosi and Reid.

Oink on July 1, 2010 at 12:36 PM

STOP SPENDING, STOP SPENDING, STOP SPENDING STOP SPENDING!!!

PatriotRider on July 1, 2010 at 12:17 PM

nuff said

cmsinaz on July 1, 2010 at 12:36 PM

The dems need that unspent stimulus money to fund their candidates in the fall………

Vashta.Nerada on July 1, 2010 at 12:36 PM

come one folks 2yrs of unemployment bennies?

hold the line….enough is enough

cmsinaz on July 1, 2010 at 12:38 PM

Use the unspent stimulus.
The problem is that they don’t want to. It is about them and that unspent stimulus is their stash.

ORconservative on July 1, 2010 at 12:41 PM

I thought that benefits were for 13 weeks and you normally get a 13 week extention automatically. Has something changed?

Now, that’s 1/2 a year to find work. Plenty of time. You don’t find it sitting at home watching Oprah, you find it by hitting the pavement and making it happen.

O.K. I feel better now.

bbordwell on July 1, 2010 at 12:45 PM

Cindy Munford on July 1, 2010 at 12:35 PM

who = how. Good grief.

Cindy Munford on July 1, 2010 at 12:45 PM

angryed on July 1, 2010 at 12:31 PM

Is that legal? I guess I would need to give up the benefit of being taxed as an s-corp (Democrats will kill that soon anyway) on my personal taxes, and pay c-corp taxes and personal taxes to do that. Not that I want to though. I’d rather just be able to opt out of the whole UC scam since I don’t qualify.

forest on July 1, 2010 at 12:45 PM

I am of two minds on this.
1. If you give a man a fish you feed him for a day, if you teach a man to fish you feed him for a lifetime. That being said there are very little fish (jobs) in the waters today. I get email alerts from career builder and in the last 6 months they have gone down from 15 to 3. That in itself says a lot about the current job market.

2. I really don’t understand why extending UC benefits is getting people in such a tissy when there are so many people without a job and no real source of income. Unemployement compensation is only 8% of a persons yearly income from their previous job. In the grand scheem of things it is not a lot of money but, i have not heard one word from anyone talking about reducing the amount of money being paid to people on welfare and get food stamps or WIC. Isn’t that dollar value considerably higher than the price tag to extend UC? How many people are on welfare that have never worked a day in their lives and have found more than one way to screw the system in order to increase their welfare benefits? I promise you the number is much higher than the number of people collecting UC.

Why is ok to continue to pay welfare receipents for doing nothing and not even trying to support their families but it is not ok to help people who have been productive citizens and through no fault of their own lost their jobs? It’s a double standard, if they really want to decrease spending on a federal level then welfare needs to be cut to reduce the amount of money going out as well. We have carried these people for decades and they are still getting 100% of their “benefits” that you and I have worked so hard for and they have done nothing to deserve.

Just my thoughts.

milwife88 on July 1, 2010 at 12:46 PM

Taking the fun out of funemployment.

txag92 on July 1, 2010 at 12:48 PM

You’re probably right. I guess both the people whose unemployment has run out and the bankrupt small business owner will have only the welfare choice left. The galling thing is though, that nothing this administration touts gives small businesses a break. This sector could go a long way in helping the economy if they weren’t so burdened with government taxes and regulation–even a short break might help turn things around. We could use a few ‘extensions’ too. Yes, I know I’m whining but I’m not apologizing. The gov made this mess and they do nothing to fix it except talk, talk, more talk and rounds of golf.

jeanie on July 1, 2010 at 12:50 PM

Democrats solution to getting people back to work …….

Pay them not to work. For two solid years.

Insanity.

What happens when the money is cut off?

1. People get off of their lazy asses and pursue work
2. Government spends less money
3. Reduction in deficit
4. Tax burden lessened for the rest of us

Duh.

fogw on July 1, 2010 at 12:51 PM

The GOP holding firm against deficit spending, eh? Why didn’ they do that against Rove/Bush?

/HotAir RINO Hunter.

BradSchwartze on July 1, 2010 at 12:51 PM

Just my thoughts.

milwife88 on July 1, 2010 at 12:46 PM

Rep want to fund it from prior (unspent tarp) $$$, dems want to add an additinal $33 Billion $ to the deficit. That’s the diff.

VegasRick on July 1, 2010 at 12:51 PM

O.K. I feel better now.

bbordwell on July 1, 2010 at 12:45 PM

Oprah? Seriously? I am certainly glad you feel better now because there are millions of people who are panic-stricken at this moment. There are many honest, formerly hard-working Americans who are about to move from the unemployment line to the welfare line. Furthermore, look for the foreclosure number to spike.

Again, I am all for them extending unemployment benefits if they cut spending elsewhere. Deficit neutral would be fine.

Oink on July 1, 2010 at 12:52 PM

angryed on July 1, 2010 at 12:31 PM

Self-employed people are not entitled to unemployment benefits.

fogw on July 1, 2010 at 12:53 PM

I don’t know how much of an indicator I am, but I just lost a job I had for 7 months and I had already exhausted my unemployment benefits after the loss of my previous job. It’s amazing how much harder I am concentrating now on finding work, and how many jobs I am willing to consider that I wouldn’t have before because they didn’t pay more after taxes than I was getting in umeployment.

Six months is plenty of time to find a job, even in this economy – it might not be the best job or the job you want, but we shouldn’t subsidize people forever to keep looking for their dream jobs.

rockmom on July 1, 2010 at 12:53 PM

Oink on July 1, 2010 at 12:52 PM

I’m guessing that you are out of work right now.

bbordwell on July 1, 2010 at 12:54 PM

I disagree with Voinovich’s compromise, but it did have a salutary impact.

I think it fell short by half. The Ds’ “emergency” rationale doesn’t cut it; the stimulus is the same color of money — emergency funds. Just consider it a change in the policy mix — who’s hurt by reprogramming (or actually just programming) uncommitted funds? There are ARRA grantees who haven’t drawn a dime yet on their funds. Billions of dollars not committed to activities or assigned to RFPs. Those funds certainly aren’t being treated like emergency dollars. Fish or cut bait, folks!

DrSteve on July 1, 2010 at 12:56 PM

Tree of liberty looking more and more thirsty these days.

SirGawain on July 1, 2010 at 12:57 PM

I’m very conservative and am sick of the government spending like crazy, but at the same time I have been unemployed for 6 months and have still not been able to find a job. I have degrees in Business and Marketing and am willing to work for half of what I am worth. I’ve had several interviews but I’m competing with hundreds of other people who are applying. I live in Ohio and our unemployment rate is one of the highest in the country. I won’t get an extension after only 6 months while I know of several people who were on unemployment for 2 years. How is that fair? I’ve been paying taxes for my whole working career and now that I need help these politicians want to play politics with my life.

I’ve already cut as much spending as possible. Next Tuesday I will receive my last unemployment check, so what money I have I will have to make it last until I find a job. The problem is how will I put gas in my car to get to an interview if I don’t have any money coming in. No one thinks about things like that when they put down the unemployed. It’s not my fault that the politicians put in place stupid policies that destroyed the economy but yet I’m the one who has to suffer while they collect their 174k a year. It looks like I will have to resort to a life of crime to feed my family since I can’t find a job so make sure you lock your house and cars.

Erockk on July 1, 2010 at 12:58 PM

When I first read the tag-line “No compromise.” I thought finally! Some back-bone from the GOP, only to read that it was the Dhim’s that refused to give in. This is why we are where we are today, the constant caving in by the Rep’s and the consistent intransience of the Dhim’s since the New Deal has led to an insidious creep to the left. We give a little here and they demand to more there the next time around. The cumulative effect is like that of the power of compounding interest, given a couple of years, and the effect is neglible and barely noticed. Over decades it becomes a juggernaught, and that is where we find ourselves today, standing in front of a steamroller of collectivist that is just now becoming noticeable to the lulled populace who’ve been dormant in their complaceny.

We will never put the beast collectivism down with half measures, until the Rep’s get this they may win a battle here and there, but will inexorably lose the war. As David Horowitz aptly puts it, this not about try to win or convince by intellectual debate, you cannot use reason to change an opinion arrived at sans reason, this is a war. Breibart gets this, most HotHeads, American Thinkers and Ace’s M&M’s get it, dolts like Voinovich and the vast bulk of the GOP do not.

Just as the progressives co-opted and captured the once honorable party of the D’s (think Henry ‘Scoop’ Jackson) the TEA Partiers taking up the conservative mantle must acheive the same within the GOP, NOW! We do not have the luxury of time that the progressives had to enact there agenda bit by bit since Wilson & FDR. We are teetering upon the very edge of the abyss of a fiscal implosion ala Greece that will lead to an irrevocable loss of sovreignity.

Conservatives must remain steadfast, yet wear the mask of moderation while giving a wink & a nod to activists like Breibart, just as the DNC has done with the collectivist authoritarians that control their party. If we fail now, the Republic will not survive.

Archimedes on July 1, 2010 at 12:58 PM

milwife88 on July 1, 2010 at 12:46 PM

Oink on July 1, 2010 at 12:52 PM

They have the money to extend unemployment benes. but want to spend that on pork. They want to use this as an issue against Republicans by saying that the Rs blocked the extension but it would have passed if the dems. would have used the unspent stimulus funds.

They could always go on welfare if they run out of unemployment benes. milwife88.

Vince on July 1, 2010 at 12:58 PM

Oh BTW, if anyone’s looking for cover, here it is.

Sing it, Steny!

DrSteve on July 1, 2010 at 12:59 PM

Republicans did the right thing by standing on that principle.

As they have done almost constantly in the last year & a half. Yet we still get HA comments nearly every day about how “no one” is standing up to Obama.

itsnotaboutme on July 1, 2010 at 12:59 PM

We need to start making the MORAL argument to cut spending. Think of it this way. You have a couple of parents who are spending tons of money on vegas trips, hot tubs, every cable tv option, new cars every couple of years, etc. BUT their kids are going without. They find it hard to pay for good essential care for the kids – old ratty clothes, poor-quality food, etc. This behavior is IMMORAL!!! This analogy matches the situation with our government. Because they WASTE so much money – because so many are on the dole, are bureaucrats and consultants and crony-captitalists, etc etc etc – it becomes harder to provide the real help to the truly needy.

happi on July 1, 2010 at 1:01 PM

I just hope that this is ‘..the darkness before the dawn’ because things out here in working world land are pretty bad and I don’t think Obama and company really get it. How could they, they’ve never held a job or run a business. How on earth can he go on about immigration in the face of the economic problems in this country. The answer is that he just doesn’t grasp the realities and he never will. Congress just cares about their individual states and votes and Obama just cares about getting his own way and votes and neither gives a rats behind about the country as a whole.

jeanie on July 1, 2010 at 1:02 PM

OT: Just on Fox …….

Scientists to study why rocker Ozzie Ozborne is still alive.

Thought we could all use a good laugh today.

fogw on July 1, 2010 at 1:02 PM

Oh, by the way…. During my travels on the oil of Obamaspill, we did find a road that was funded by ObamaStimulus. It was 100 yards that was re-paved on a dead end street, where nobody lives or walks. Just a 100 yard stretch of asphalt proudly displaying the Wreckovery of Obama signs.

Key West Reader on July 1, 2010 at 1:04 PM

Scientists to study why rocker Ozzie Ozborne is still alive.

Thought we could all use a good laugh today.

fogw on July 1, 2010 at 1:02 PM

Preservatives.

Key West Reader on July 1, 2010 at 1:05 PM

Oink on July 1, 2010 at 12:52 PM
I’m guessing that you are out of work right now.

bbordwell on July 1, 2010 at 12:54 PM

I’m guessing you’re not.

rjl1999 on July 1, 2010 at 1:06 PM

itsnotaboutme on July 1, 2010 at 12:59 PM

Shhh. Be quiet. You’re interrupting the HotAir RINO Hunter on the prowl in the RINO’s natural habitat.

BradSchwartze on July 1, 2010 at 1:07 PM

GOOD!!! STand up tall and STOP SPENDING!!!

ihasurnominashun on July 1, 2010 at 1:08 PM

Back to the article linked above:

Other spending questioned by Republicans — but not considered on the chopping block — are $275 million for flood prevention, $200 million for public computer centers at community colleges and libraries, and $650 million for the digital TV converter-box coupons.

The list goes on: $1 billion for administrative costs and construction of National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration office buildings, $100 million for constructing U.S. Marshals office buildings, and $1.3 billion for NASA, including $450 million tagged for science.

Then there is the $300 million for hybrid and electric cars for the federal government. The funding includes golf carts for federal workers.

Key West Reader on July 1, 2010 at 1:10 PM

As more and more unemployed Americans find they have to work and take those jobs “Americans aren’t willing to do” they will become more worried about immigration enforcement.

I can see a time in the near future where there will be turf wars between citizens and illegals over standing in the home depot parking lot.

When public attitude changes from apathy to active concern over illegal migration, the buses heading south will be packed.

TheSitRep on July 1, 2010 at 1:15 PM

I never knew people who have been collecting unemployment for 99 weeks are referred to as “99ers”. Anyway, Sgt. Ed Shultz on MSNBC is their leader. Evil Republicans.

Marcus on July 1, 2010 at 1:41 PM

People, the thing to remember about capitalism is….It’s Not Fair! Fair is for 2nd grade. Life isn’t fair. Capitalism rewards those that are smarter, harder workers and yes, sometimes luckier than others. I completely sympathize with those that have lost jobs. But this crap about “I paid into the system and now it’s not fair that I don’t get mine” is garbage. I just dealt with someone who has no income coming in, owes us money and their whole explanation was “waiting for them to extend the unemployment”. There are jobs available here…not great jobs, mind you..but paying jobs. Deliver pizzas, flip burgers…it’s called supporting your family. Stop waiting for every one else to take care of you and have some responsibility for yourself. That’s being an adult.

search4truth on July 1, 2010 at 1:42 PM

I’ve been applying for jobs for the last 6 months. I’ve applied for jobs at Meijer, Target and fast food restaurants, even though I have a college degree. They are getting hundreds of applications a day. This line about just go out and get a job is bullshit, if it was that easy unemployment wouldn’t be hovering around 10%. I’ve worked hard my whole life and have paid taxes that have gone to government waste. I’ve been paying into Social Security that I will never see. I sit an watch Congress waste money on ridiculous things and they give themselves a raise and a pat on the back every year. If I don’t get help when I can’t find a job then I shouldn’t be forced to pay into Unemployment when I get back to work.

Erockk on July 1, 2010 at 2:01 PM

search4truth on July 1, 2010 at 1:42 PM

When my employer stops paying into the system for my years of service, then I’ll agree with that statement.

rjl1999 on July 1, 2010 at 2:02 PM

For all of you who think the unemployed don’t deserve any help try being unemployed and being scared to death because you don’t know if you will ever find a job again. You go on interview after interview and still nothing. Now I won’t be able to put food on the table for my daughter. I won’t be able to put gas in my car to drive to an interview. More than likely I will need to sell my only form of transportation just to live for the next few months. I’ve always voted Republican and am a fiscal conservative but I feel if we have money to send to other countries to bail them out then we have money to provide help to those who are unemployed.

If our government had any brains they would require the unemployed to do some community service for their checks, or set up job assistance programs where the unemployed can go to learn new skills and make themselves more employable.

BTW most of the positions I’ve applied for and didn’t get were filled by people who were switching jobs. The unemployed are being discriminated against when it comes to hiring.

Erockk on July 1, 2010 at 2:09 PM

Erockk on July 1, 2010 at 2:09 PM

Republicans are willing to give you money, that isn’t the problem…the problem is dems not wanting to cut any program.
This is the time for you to write your dem congressmen and demand they cut a non-essential budget item, so you can get your benefits.
By the time you had written your post, you could have called and written a dem congressman and complain about him not being responsible.

right2bright on July 1, 2010 at 2:30 PM

only benefits the unions and more pork project paybacks.

workingforpigs on July 1, 2010 at 2:46 PM

right2bright on July 1, 2010 at 2:30 PM

I assure you I have written my Congressmen and Senators, Republican and Democrat alike to demand that they cut the wasteful spending so that they can extend unemployment. I know that the Dems are the problem.

Before I was unemployed I didn’t want the government extending unemployment benefits. Even when I lost my job I figured I’d be back to work quickly. I was out networking and meeting the right people to help me find a job. I’ve been volunteering on John Kasich’s campaign here in Ohio. I taught myself HTML and Photoshop. I spend my days looking for jobs, networking and reading. After sending my resume I make several follow-up calls bugging the shit out of people until they flat-out reject me or bring me in for an interview. I’m not lazy, I don’t just sit around watching Oprah or play video games, yet I am still unemployed and unable to find anyone willing to hire me. I thought that getting a college degree and always being the guy at work who took on any new job and cross-trained with other departments would keep me from being in this position but here I am. I’ve never wanted a handout from the government and feel like a loser for taking one. If not for my daughter I wouldn’t take it.

Erockk on July 1, 2010 at 2:51 PM

Or, how about having a savings plan so you’re not on the verge of entering the welfare rolls if you ever lose your job. And you’re not subject to the “benevolence” of the idiots in Congress.

I was unemployed for seven months in 2004. Came damn close to losing everything before God blessed me with a wonderful job. Every paycheck I have collected since that day has had as much of it as possible go into my savings account. If I were to lose my job right now, I would be able to support myself for three years. That’s not bragging. It’s just a plain fact.

For a blog with a ton of commenters that always talk about personal responsibility, where’s your personal responsibility when it comes to saving your money?

Dominion on July 1, 2010 at 2:56 PM

Unfortunately I had to cash out my 401k last year because even though I’ve only been unemployed for 6 months I have been underemployed for the last 2 years making 15k less than I was 2 years ago. Fortunately I’ve cut so much of my spending and have done so well with not spending my money that I will be ok for a few months.

Erockk on July 1, 2010 at 3:02 PM

Erockk on July 1, 2010 at 12:58 PM

You need to consider moving or looking for a job in Kentucky. Ohio is in the toilet thanks to the Democrats and unions who ruined its economy. There are marketing jobs all over the place in my area (Philadelphia). I don’t have any marketing background or else I would have applied for those jobs myself.

Try being 52 years old with a $3000 a month mortgage on a house you can’t sell and a kid going to college next year. I was in the mortgage business for 15 years and that industry has lost over a half-million jobs that aren’t coming back. I had a contultin g job that was supposed to be leading to a fulltime job with the comanmpy, but its business fell by 53% in the first quarter and they are slashing everything. I’m applying for jobs all the way from New York to Washington, DC.

But I’m not whining about not getting any more unemployment.

rockmom on July 1, 2010 at 3:58 PM

No compromise.

That should be the GOP’s watchphrase from here to November and beyond.

JohnGalt23 on July 1, 2010 at 4:29 PM

angryed on July 1, 2010 at 12:31 PM

I hope you’re lying! That would border on fraud—even if it’s legal. It’s disgusting.

Obviously, I’m obviously naïve since I don’t think you’re lying.

Al in St. Lou on July 1, 2010 at 5:43 PM

Where was the moral argument over the last decade as the national debt was run up during the bubble economy?

It’s unfortunate that people aren’t educated on the impact of cutting unemployment benefits in the middle of a major recession. Our situation will only grow more dire, probably leading to a much more severe recessions than the country experienced in 2008. Job creation is almost non-existent. There simply aren’t any jobs for people to take- how difficult is this to understand?

Look at what happened when Japan, under similar circumstances, cut deficit spending during their balance sheet recession (a recession marked by massive decreases in asset prices). As government spending was cut, the deficit actually increased! Personally, I don’t support unemployments benefits because I feel sorry for those without jobs, but because I know things will get much worse if government spending is cut at this time.

Are the same people who strongly supported Bush’s economic polices- which turned a budget surplus into massive deficits- now going to push Republicans into cuts in government spending that trigger a deeper recession? It looks like that’s exactly what’s going to happen.

bayam on July 1, 2010 at 7:44 PM

Republicans are taking the same stupid pills the democrats are taking if they say no to extending UC benefits.

The job market is sh!t right now and people are running out of benefits; extending job benefits takes some money, sure, but what are the people going to do when their checks stop coming? They can’t find a job, hello! McFly!

Yeah, living on UC is a great living who needs a real job? They can just go out there and find one, no problem.
How stupid can they be?