DNC narrows down four cities as finalists for 2012 convention

posted at 2:20 pm on July 1, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

And lucky me, the Twin Cities is one of the places that the DNC has chosen for its Final Four.  This isn’t new; the Minnesota metro area had been on the short list for the 2008 convention as well, which may mean an edge for the state that gave Barack Obama a 10-point victory in that election:

Recognizing that President Barack Obama faces serious challenges in the Midwest he carried not two years ago, theDemocratic National Committee on Wednesday picked three heartland cities and just one in the Republican-friendly South to consider for its 2012 nominating convention.

The cities are Cleveland, St. Louis, Minneapolis and Charlotte, N.C.

A presidential nominating convention brings millions of dollars and intense attention to its host city as well as political good will for the party itself. Obama won Ohio, Minnesota and North Carolina in his 2008 race against Republican John McCain, who won Missouri.

With Democrats competing for Senate seats in Ohio and Missouri, the announcement was likely to energize the Democratic base in those states ahead of the crucial midterm elections this year. Even so, putting states in play for possibly holding the convention was not a guarantee for wins there in 2012; McCain held his nominating convention in Minnesota, yet lost the state.

That would allow me to do some extensive coverage of a Democratic convention without the hassle of traveling to a remote location, and I’d certainly be happy to see the local area get an economic boost.  I’m just not sure where the Democrats could go to recreate Mount Olympus a second time.  Minneapolis and St. Paul demonstrated that they could host a grand partisan event in the last election, and the DNC would certainly see a friendlier environment here than the RNC did.  I somehow doubt that the anarchists would crawl out of the woodwork as they did in 2008 to throw bleach on conventiongoers and to smash windows and plot worse acts that the police stopped before they could get started.

However, I doubt that Minneapolis will get it, even having been on the list two straight times.  Obama may have issues with the Midwest in 2012, but probably not with Minnesota.  I’d like to think that my state would come to its senses after four years of incompetence in the Obama White House, but this is the same state that elected Jesse Ventura, Al Franken, and sent Amy Klobuchar to the Senate to ask Elena Kagan about her Twilight preferences.  If Obama loses Minnesota, the only state never to vote for Ronald Reagan, he’s got much bigger problems elsewhere.

So where will they go?  Let’s take a look at the other choices:

• Charlotte, NC – Obama carried North Carolina in 2008 by only 14,000 votes, but will almost certainly have trouble keeping it next time.  Democrats aren’t going to get the turnout they did in 2008.  A national convention here might help keep North Carolina in the blue column.
  • St. Louis, MO – If Obama wants to make a difference in the Midwest, this would be a better choice.   Missouri is a key state in presidential elections, one Obama just missed carrying in 2008.  He’s not likely to do much better in 2012, though, even with a national convention.
  • Cleveland, OH – This is in the heart of the Rust Belt, and a region where economic downturns hit hard.  Obama won Ohio by over 360,000 votes, even more than the margin in Minnesota, but this traditionally Republican state may flip in 2012.  Ohio has the largest number of electoral votes of any of the four states mentioned, and a win in Ohio puts the GOP nominee in a difficult position to win the presidency.

I’d say Democrats will choose Cleveland in the end.  It’s still a “heartland” state, but it matters more than the two Midwestern states mentioned, and probably better positioned than North Carolina.

Update: It was a 10-point victory in Minnesota for Obama, not 16 points. Thanks to Jeff D for the reminder.

Comments

Moonbats in the Twin Cities? Like that’ll ever happen.

rmgraha on July 1, 2010 at 2:23 PM

NC is going Republican, they won’t stop it this time. It would be a lost cause to have the convention here.

right2bright on July 1, 2010 at 2:23 PM

What, Havana, Cuba or Beijing didn’t make the list? I thought that would be the perfect place since they’re all communists anyway.

jdawg on July 1, 2010 at 2:24 PM

Is Athens one? Thought he’d wanna make a good show on Mount Olympus

lm10001 on July 1, 2010 at 2:24 PM

They have to choose the city to find out what’s in it.

LibTired on July 1, 2010 at 2:25 PM

For laughs why not try Colorado Springs or Salt Lake City?

Mr. Joe on July 1, 2010 at 2:26 PM

DNC needs to appealing to their illegal mexican / latino / hispanis voters. They should hold their fest in Cancun . Or maybe Oaxaca

macncheez on July 1, 2010 at 2:27 PM

What…. not in Phoenix?

lm10001 on July 1, 2010 at 2:27 PM

What’s wrong with the Democrat stronghold of Detroit…?

Oh, wait!

Seven Percent Solution on July 1, 2010 at 2:27 PM

With Democrats competing for Senate seats in Ohio and Missouri

Hopefully this means that they consider the NC Senate race a done deal for Richard Burr (R-NC).

Please don’t come to Charlotte!

mankai on July 1, 2010 at 2:27 PM

Are they boycotting sanctuary cities?

mjbrooks3 on July 1, 2010 at 2:28 PM

Mexico City.

mankai on July 1, 2010 at 2:28 PM

Have it where ever….just as long as he doesn’t come back to Denver.

tommer74 on July 1, 2010 at 2:28 PM

I have to say I feel bad for the delegates if they choose Cleveland. The only thing that recommends that dumpy, blighted city is the fact that it isn’t Detroit.

Illinidiva on July 1, 2010 at 2:28 PM

Before I saw the list I guessed one of the cities would definitely not be Phoenix…

psrch on July 1, 2010 at 2:28 PM

I’m guessing Cleveland. Ohio is the most crucial state out of the four finalists. He’s gonna win Minnesota. If he doesn’t, that means the GOP candidate is likely gonna wind up with 350+ electoral votes. He’s not gonna win Missouri. He didn’t win it in 2008(although it was razor thin), so 2012 is a long shot. And I don’t think he’s gonna get North Carolina. They ain’t falling for “Hope & Change” again.

Doughboy on July 1, 2010 at 2:28 PM

Why not in Dearbornistan ?

macncheez on July 1, 2010 at 2:29 PM

It’ll be St. Louis.

Abby Adams on July 1, 2010 at 2:29 PM

A national convention here might help keep North Carolina in the blue column.

An act of God wouldn’t keep North Carolina in the blue column.

I’d say Democrats will choose Cleveland in the end.

Agreed.

amerpundit on July 1, 2010 at 2:30 PM

Fake Greek Columns are light and easily transportable.

portlandon on July 1, 2010 at 2:30 PM

I say it should be Detroit.. Liberal policies destroyed the city over the years, they should be there to show what they can do to the rest of the country.

Zippy_Slug on July 1, 2010 at 2:31 PM

If they have it in Charlotte, I’m attending undercover and bringing my Flip cam. I’m pretty sure if I wear one of these t shirts I’ll breeze on through. You think? :)

Bee on July 1, 2010 at 2:32 PM

I’m sure they’ll negotiate ahead of time to guarantee no-one searches the trash for American flags.

TexasDan on July 1, 2010 at 2:32 PM

As someone who lives in Downtown Minneapolis.

Please no, please no, please no, please no!

gophergirl on July 1, 2010 at 2:32 PM

Obama’s had such great luck in Copenhagen.

hit and run on July 1, 2010 at 2:32 PM

My final four for their convention would be Mexico City, Moscow, Caracas, or Havana!

GFW on July 1, 2010 at 2:33 PM

What’s wrong with the Democrat stronghold of Detroit…?

Seven Percent Solution on July 1, 2010 at 2:27 PM

Crap, you beat me to it!

I think it would be perfectly appropriate for the Dems to hold their convention there. They should have to wallow in the urban blight that they were instrumental in creating.

UltimateBob on July 1, 2010 at 2:33 PM

Agree with you ,Ed….Cleveland it will be…..

cmsinaz on July 1, 2010 at 2:35 PM

They’ll pick the city that they think Tea Party protests are least likely to break out.

Buddahpundit on July 1, 2010 at 2:36 PM

In 2008 the Democrats flirted with the idea of holding their convention in New Orleans to try and capitalize on the perceptions of Katrina.

Funny how New Orleans isn’t mentioned now.

hit and run on July 1, 2010 at 2:37 PM

Please God, make it Minneapolis.

I will breed mosquitoes all winter long if You will the Donks to Target Center.

Bruno Strozek on July 1, 2010 at 2:37 PM

I wonder where the greek columns are now. My guess is they will end up in a museum one day. They say everything that can and needs to be said about Obama and his political team.

Joe Caps on July 1, 2010 at 2:37 PM

Oh come on, let’s have it in Chicago. The morons who invested heavily, assuming we’d get the Olympic’s, need to recoup some of that cash they lost.

Knucklehead on July 1, 2010 at 2:38 PM

Actually thinking of the Dem convention in 12 is amusing.
I wonder who they will be nominating? Will anyone in Ohio still be working in the private sector? Will there even be an election?
Do they need a convention if they outlaw Republicans? Which city has the best golf courses, the most Latinos or the minority du jour?
So much to consider!

ORconservative on July 1, 2010 at 2:38 PM

Buddahpundit on July 1, 2010 at 2:36 PM

Heh, they better hold the convention on the moon if they’re trying to avoid protests. If the Tea Party can get hundreds of thousands in DC on 9/12 with very little notice, they can turn out a few thousand minimum with 2 years notice.

Doughboy on July 1, 2010 at 2:38 PM

Any city on the Gulf Coast would be good.

“ObamaSludge: coming to a beach near you”

faraway on July 1, 2010 at 2:39 PM

That screen cap reminds me of the Playmobil Roman colosseum my daughter plays with.

CurtZHP on July 1, 2010 at 2:41 PM

Obama being on the ballot gave way to Charlotte electing its first Democratic mayor in decades and Pat McCrory, the former extremely popular mayor of Charlotte, being defeated ever so slightly for the Governorship despite being well liked in the most populated region of the state and his strong moderate appeal (received rare endorsements from newspapers that pretty much always endorse the Democrat, even the UNC student newspaper). In addition to keeping NC in the blue column for Obama, there are quite a few swing seats in NC (Larry Kissell comes to mind, along with Heath Shuler assuming both are still there in 2012) and McCrory faces an uphill battle against Bev Perdue in what is sure to be a hotly contested gubernatorial race. Charlotte would be a very smart pick for the Democrats. Let’s hope they don’t think the same.

malan89 on July 1, 2010 at 2:42 PM

If he goes to Cleveland, he’ll claim sole responsibility for having “saved the economy” and the people from themselves, or something…

He is the biggest Liar, ever!

Schadenfreude on July 1, 2010 at 2:42 PM

Gulfport, Mississippi

Mr. Joe on July 1, 2010 at 2:43 PM

Dear God! Please don’t let it be Charlotte. I live here and don’t think I could handle the mass migration of Alinsky-ites to this beautiful city.

the17sss on July 1, 2010 at 2:43 PM

Cleveland or St Louis would be great. They can go to the heart of those cities and see what Democrats, urban planners and teachers unions can do to a city.

Clark1 on July 1, 2010 at 2:44 PM

They are urging SSt. Louisans to come downtown ( a place few residents ever venture) and pretend to be tourists on the day the committee does its site visit. They urge you to mingle with the delegates and say how much you love the city. If they come here, one good thing will happen, they will all support conceal and carry when they leave.

flyoverland on July 1, 2010 at 2:46 PM

Good analysis, Ed. I agree, they’ll pick Cleveland. Cleveland in August — oh boy.

J.E. Dyer on July 1, 2010 at 2:46 PM

Have it at the Acropolis

blatantblue on July 1, 2010 at 2:46 PM

Minnesota deserves Obama. I think he should move there in 2013.

Extrafishy on July 1, 2010 at 2:48 PM

They should have it in Las Vegas. I need something to protest and it would give me something to do.

Mojave Mark on July 1, 2010 at 2:50 PM

They have to choose the city to find out what’s in it.

LibTired on July 1, 2010 at 2:25 PM

Missed this earlier. Damn funny.

Abby Adams on July 1, 2010 at 2:52 PM

“We will choose a city after we hold the convention”

- Nancy Pelosi

fogw on July 1, 2010 at 2:55 PM

Why bother with these cities? Hell, I would think, would be a much better venue for the DNC, and they would feel right at home! ;)

capejasmine on July 1, 2010 at 2:57 PM

Thankfully Chicago is not on the list. We cherish every day that BHO is out of town.

dm60462 on July 1, 2010 at 3:01 PM

Might I suggest the DNC hold the convention in the land of Obama’s birth?

1° 17′ 0″ S, 36° 49′ 0″ E

*evil grin*

evilned on July 1, 2010 at 3:01 PM

So is barry going to market himself the second coming

Oil Can on July 1, 2010 at 3:09 PM

I would think Honolulu would be a good choice, except for all the homeless people.

Del Dolemonte on July 1, 2010 at 3:09 PM

The real question is how many cities are begging NOT to have it.

search4truth on July 1, 2010 at 3:10 PM

Please, please, please DO NOT come to Cleveland. We are already lousy with corrupt Democrats, we can’t handle much more.

myrenovations on July 1, 2010 at 3:15 PM

I’d like to know one person who voted for one party or the other based on where the convention was. Wait, this is the American electorate we’re talking about….never mind.

angryed on July 1, 2010 at 3:22 PM

I wonder if they’ll fix this place up for the convention: http://twitpic.com/21kagi Fortunately I live in a third-ring suburb of Cleveland. I can avoid the mess.

skydaddy on July 1, 2010 at 3:28 PM

myrenovations on July 1, 2010 at 3:15 PM

C’mon, you know that’s a main selling point. They’ll feel right at home.

skydaddy on July 1, 2010 at 3:34 PM

Madison, WI

Carl on July 1, 2010 at 3:34 PM

On second thought I found a place more appropriate for the DNC to hold their convention and they should be “green” about it and hold it outside.

Location?

Amundsen-Scott Station

Where is that?

Google it.

Carl on July 1, 2010 at 3:38 PM

I thought they narrowed the choices down to either Sodom or Gomorrah.

AaronGuzman on July 1, 2010 at 3:40 PM

From a political standpoint, Cleveland would be the best bet–the biggest city in a state with lots of electoral votes.

But if they want the nominee to feel at home, how about Nairobi?

Unless they change nominees, then move it to Little Rock.

Steve Z on July 1, 2010 at 3:45 PM

Whichever city they choose, it would be a shame if the DNC doesn’t let Alen Greyson, Pete Stark, and Hank “the island will tip over” Johnson deliver the speeches. Oh. And Harry Whatshisname!

TN Mom on July 1, 2010 at 4:16 PM

It’ll be St. Louis.

Abby Adams on July 1, 2010 at 2:29 PM

Probably just to p*ss me off since I moved from Ohio to St. Louis.

After all St. Louis has one of the the largest and most important ACORN branches in the country.

MobileVideoEngineer on July 1, 2010 at 4:22 PM

The choice of Charlotte was just hoping to be able to thumb their nose at NRA 2010, which – at 72,000+ – was the largest convention ever in Charlotte.

eeyore on July 1, 2010 at 4:44 PM

Given the attacks suffered by Republican delegates in 2008 including people I know personally, I’m surprised anyone would consider the twin cities for an event like this. I sure hope the Republicans never go back. Minnesota should be embarrassed at the poor security they provided. Sorry Ed but that’s the truth.

jnelchef on July 1, 2010 at 4:59 PM

I suspect they’ll pick OH. They need to juice the economy there given that they’ve been destroying it nationwide since they got into power.

Jill1066 on July 1, 2010 at 5:11 PM