Quotes of the day

posted at 11:04 pm on June 30, 2010 by Allahpundit

If Bill Clinton was our first black president, as Toni Morrison once proclaimed, then Barack Obama may be our first woman president…

It isn’t that he isn’t “cowboy” enough, as others have suggested. Aren’t we done with that? It is that his approach is feminine in a normative sense. That is, we perceive and appraise him according to cultural expectations, and he’s not exactly causing anxiety in Alpha-maledom

Generally speaking, men and women communicate differently. Women tend to be coalition builders rather than mavericks (with the occasional rogue exception). While men seek ways to measure themselves against others, for reasons requiring no elaboration, women form circles and talk it out…

Granted, the century is young — and it shouldn’t surprise anyone that Obama’s rhetoric would simmer next to George W. Bush’s boil. But passivity in a leader is not a reassuring posture.

***
It’s hard to know where to begin. Does this mean that Hillary Clinton would not have been able to deal with the BP Oil crisis? Or that Hillary Clinton is better at speaking like a man that Obama (hello again MoDo!) Or that Obama is paying the price for speaking intelligently? Or that Joan Walsh was right, and this nation has been so infantalized by a combination of overreaching government policies and the media we really just crave a daddy who will tell us it’s all right. No grey area allowed.

Perhaps it’s that grey area that’s been causing the trouble all along. The grey area of empty coverage space needed to be filled. And the grey area of where Obama fits in the national storyline. At some point it will be easier to make a list of the things and people Obama hasn’t been compared to in the mediasphere’s continuing effort to pinpoint exactly who Obama is than it will be to comprise a list of the actual comparisons. In the meantime, it’s hard not to wonder if this column is a preview of what we can expect from Parker and Spitzer’s new CNN show…lord knows the world is dying to discover whether Eliot Spitzer thinks Obama is man enough. In the meantime I suppose we can be grateful that no Bambi references made it into this piece.

***
Two years ago – June 2008 – the press was still grappling with how Hillary Clinton had been portrayed in the press. Sarah Palin was still two months away, but mainstream figures were only just admitting that there *may* have been some sexism in the coverage of the first female contender for a presidential nomination. It took Katie Couric saying so in June 2008 to shake up the media enough to wonder, gee, are those dames nattering like a first wife outside probate court actually on to something? The case didn’t crack like a nut between the steel-plated thighs of a Hillary Nutcracker, but still – by now it’s pretty well accepted that those of us whining like so many nagging housewives were documenting something real. And if you don’t agree, you can go iron my shirt.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

First.

Lanceman on June 30, 2010 at 11:06 PM

I thought I heard her call him a pu$$y….//

ted c on June 30, 2010 at 11:06 PM

Obama first woman president: LPGA overwhelmed

picklesgap on June 30, 2010 at 11:07 PM

I thought I heard her call him a pu$$y….//

ted c on June 30, 2010 at 11:06 PM

ted c:Did you get the linky for SarahCudas FB that you
were asking for,in last nights thread that I sent
ya!————-:)

canopfor on June 30, 2010 at 11:11 PM

There’s a difference between a strong man and a strong woman. A weak man is not the equivalent of a strong woman, nor does he have the approach of a strong woman–he’s just a weak man. To say his approach is feminine makes a caricature of true femininity. (Cue Margaret Thatcher, a strong woman and a very feminine one as well).

INC on June 30, 2010 at 11:12 PM

And the grey area of where Obama fits in the national storyline

Well, that’s just it. Obama does NOT fit this country. The country was founded by men who believed in individual freedom and individual responsibility. Obama doesn’t believe in any thing like that. Obama believes in enslavement, and obedience.

Skandia Recluse on June 30, 2010 at 11:12 PM

Great. One more victim label Obama can now champion.

Sexism.

portlandon on June 30, 2010 at 11:12 PM

First.

Lanceman on June 30, 2010 at 11:06 PM

In on juan.

/interwebertubers

Inanemergencydial on June 30, 2010 at 11:13 PM

Naw, Barry’s second chakra is just jammed up and needing release.

Christien on June 30, 2010 at 11:13 PM

I agree he’s the first completely estrogenized President. I blame Oprah, and he’s got her stamp all over him. I rue the day presidential candidates felt they had to do her show to appeal to her people. I can never have imagined Nixon or Reagan sitting down with her and grovelling like Republicans Bush and McCain did.

Marcus on June 30, 2010 at 11:13 PM

This was a nice *subtle* dig.

INC on June 30, 2010 at 11:14 PM

In on juan.

/interwebertubers

Inanemergencydial on June 30, 2010 at 11:13 PM

Maybe I should’ve said:

Barack Insane Obama. Mmm! Mmm! MMM!

Lanceman on June 30, 2010 at 11:17 PM

ted c:Did you get the linky for SarahCudas FB that you
were asking for,in last nights thread that I sent
ya!————-:)

canopfor on June 30, 2010 at 11:11 PM

no, i didn’t–i had to hit the hay before you got it to me. no worries–i caught it some other way today. I have a big presentation tomrorow–so been a little busy.

ted c on June 30, 2010 at 11:18 PM

==========================================

India infobabe talks to Jarrett about Obama’s
WOMANLY LEADERSHIP!!!

Valerie Jarrett: Why Obama Being “Womanly” is a Good Thing

canopfor on June 30, 2010 at 11:19 PM

you know, this may stick

runner on June 30, 2010 at 11:19 PM

canopfor on June 30, 2010 at 11:11 PM
====================

ted c on June 30, 2010 at 11:18 PM

ted c: Oh thats what happened,okay,I left you two linkys!:)

canopfor on June 30, 2010 at 11:21 PM

then Barack Obama may be our first woman president…

OK someone tell me the dates when Obama should be left alone with a tub of chocalate ice-cream and midol ;-)
;-)

macncheez on June 30, 2010 at 11:21 PM

…I take away reason and accountability.”

Every time I hear comparisons of Pres. Obama being the first “woman” president, this line runs through my head.

Sgt Steve on June 30, 2010 at 11:21 PM

He is no Thatcher. Maybe Edith Bunker.

Southernblogger on June 30, 2010 at 11:22 PM

Dangit, stupid broken link.

Sgt Steve on June 30, 2010 at 11:23 PM

Well, it’s not like he was going to learn how to be a man from a male figure in his life…

MeatHeadinCA on June 30, 2010 at 11:23 PM

I really don’t think Kathleen Parker knows what she’s talking about.

Women, inarguably, still are punished for failing to adhere to gender norms by acting “too masculine” or “not feminine enough.”

The problem is that today people are even more sexist than ever. Feminists themselves are the ones who defined strength as acting in a masculine manner. When they do so, they annoy and irritate people as they lose their femininity. Yet paradoxically, they despise the opposite sex and have done their best to trample masculinity out of men and boys. They’ve also despised their own sex and haven’t yet grasped the point that womanly strength exists and it is different from manly strength.

That second quote proves my point as well. And what’s with all the CAPS ALL OVER THE PLACE. IT MAKES HER LOOK HYSTERICAL!!! ;-)

INC on June 30, 2010 at 11:24 PM

Lanceman on June 30, 2010 at 11:17 PM

Maybe you should add Kathleen Parker and Maureen Dowd to your list of M & M’s. :)

Dire Straits on June 30, 2010 at 11:24 PM

macncheez on June 30, 2010 at 11:21 PM

1st through 31st.

OldEnglish on June 30, 2010 at 11:25 PM

MeatHeadinCA on June 30, 2010 at 11:23 PM

How about Michelle?

Aviator on June 30, 2010 at 11:26 PM

Um, I read Kathleen Parkers’ piece on Obama and I didn’t see it as negative towards him at all. What is the deal with these two writers at Mediaite? They need to lighten up a bit.

terryannonline on June 30, 2010 at 11:26 PM

How about Michelle?

Aviator on June 30, 2010 at 11:26 PM

No comment. The eye is watching.

MeatHeadinCA on June 30, 2010 at 11:27 PM

Obama likes a woman who takes charge. Spitzer likes a woman who takes cash. This is a quote from my father.

nogooddeed on June 30, 2010 at 11:27 PM

Of course he’s a Beta Male President. I’m completely not attracted to him. Because he’s a douchenozzle.

mjk on June 30, 2010 at 11:27 PM

MeatHeadinCA on June 30, 2010 at 11:23 PM

The males in his life as he grew up were communists, Marxists and radicals who had no time to be men.

thomasaur on June 30, 2010 at 11:27 PM

Maybe this explains why 100% of all vehicles in my area (Chicago burbs) that still display an Obama bumper sticker are middle-aged women.

visions on June 30, 2010 at 11:28 PM

. I don’t think that doing things a woman’s way is evidence of deficiency but, rather, suggests an evolutionary achievement.

Is she saying women are more “evolved” than men?

They may be, but-

Sexist!!!

/sarc

cs89 on June 30, 2010 at 11:28 PM

Mom Jeans.

Firebird on June 30, 2010 at 11:28 PM

nogooddeed on June 30, 2010 at 11:27 PM

Heh

Still leaves me confused when it comes to Big Sis… She’s not really taking charge of securing the frickin’ boarder.

Another thought: Why does Holder strike me as feminine, too?

Plugs probably is the most masculine person in that entire administration (had to rule out Rahm for obvious reasons).

MeatHeadinCA on June 30, 2010 at 11:29 PM

Kathleen Parker is an idiot, our First Woman President will have bigger gnads than either Bill or Barack, and she’ll look good doing it, making our allies like us, and our enemies fear us that is.

Sharr on June 30, 2010 at 11:29 PM

INSTEAD OF LOOKING AT THIS CRAPPY COLUMN BY KATHLEEN PARKER AND THINKING, “CHRIST, WHY DOESN’T CNN HIRE ME, I WRITE CIRCLES AROUND THIS GARBAGE?” I AM GOING TO FORM A SHARING CIRCLE WITH MY WOMENFOLK AND GENTLY TALK IT OUT.

The womenfolk I know think Kathleen Parker sucks.

NebCon on June 30, 2010 at 11:29 PM

thomasaur on June 30, 2010 at 11:27 PM

Precisely. Perhaps this is where he gets the “Blame Boosh” habit from…

MeatHeadinCA on June 30, 2010 at 11:30 PM

Sklar is one of the few attractive lefty chix, so we should probably listen to her.

Speedwagon82 on June 30, 2010 at 11:30 PM

then Barack Obama may be our first woman president…

And in about…oh ,I don’t know…a 100 years or so, he can take the role of Helen Thomas at the White House Press Corps.

Electrongod on June 30, 2010 at 11:30 PM

Barack Obama may be our first woman president…

This makes perfect sense…..

BigWyo on June 30, 2010 at 11:30 PM

The womenfolk I know think Kathleen Parker sucks.

NebCon on June 30, 2010 at 11:29 PM

This manfolk agrees.

MeatHeadinCA on June 30, 2010 at 11:30 PM

Is she saying women are more “evolved” than men?

They may be, but-

Sexist!!!

/sarc

cs89 on June 30, 2010 at 11:28 PM

If they were more evolved they would be able to pee standing up.

thomasaur on June 30, 2010 at 11:31 PM

Oh boy, another card to play. Now he gets race and sex.

nogooddeed on June 30, 2010 at 11:31 PM

Electrongod on June 30, 2010 at 11:30 PM

Aside from not having his name printed on any printed pieces, I think he already has.

MeatHeadinCA on June 30, 2010 at 11:31 PM

If they were more evolved they would be able to pee standing up.

thomasaur on June 30, 2010 at 11:31 PM

YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT IS GOING ON IN THE WH BATHROOM!

MeatHeadinCA on June 30, 2010 at 11:32 PM

God, I wish people would stop going on and on about his rhetorical style, as if he just needs to communicate better – “Obama, you need to show people you feel their pain.” “Obama, you need to be more of a national Daddy figure.”

Please. This guy has a real problem, and people like Parker are just enabling him. He is obsessed with the sound of his own voice, and insists on giving tiresome speech after tiresome speech. What he needs is an intervention – a group of people to tell him, “No, Mr. President. You’ve had one two many speeches. Time to lay off the teleprompter.” Maybe he should even go cold turkey for awhile.

His only rhetorical problem is that he won’t shut up and do his job.

RINO in Name Only on June 30, 2010 at 11:32 PM

God, I hope not.

Cindy Munford on June 30, 2010 at 11:33 PM

Haha… and what coalitions has Obama built? Still living in the delusion that Barack Obama is bipartisan and a bridge builder I see.

Sharr on June 30, 2010 at 11:33 PM

Man or Woman…….it’s the DOTUS…..that’s all I need to know.

PappyD61 on June 30, 2010 at 11:33 PM

Barack Obama may be our first woman president…
This makes perfect sense…..

BigWyo on June 30, 2010 at 11:30 PM

well, it presents David Brooksie with an awful conundrum… Was he admiring “pant creases” or pleats in a skirt?…..

ted c on June 30, 2010 at 11:34 PM

MeatHeadinCA on June 30, 2010 at 11:31 PM

I think your right.

Electrongod on June 30, 2010 at 11:34 PM

Sharr on June 30, 2010 at 11:33 PM

Valerie Jarret, Reverend Wright, Van Jones, Rahm Emanuel, Elena Kagan, &c

MeatHeadinCA on June 30, 2010 at 11:35 PM

Was he admiring “pant creases” or pleats in a skirt?…..

ted c on June 30, 2010 at 11:34 PM

I do believe it was the seams in his nylons.

thomasaur on June 30, 2010 at 11:35 PM

“No, Mr. President. You’ve had one two too many speeches.

RINO in Name Only on June 30, 2010 at 11:32 PM

RINO in Name Only on June 30, 2010 at 11:35 PM

The next time he meets with a foreign dignitary or head of state, he should curtsy instead of bow.

nogooddeed on June 30, 2010 at 11:36 PM

You know, people trying to call Obama anything other than what he really is kind of reminds me of the days people would refer to Byrd as anything but a bigoted racist.

MeatHeadinCA on June 30, 2010 at 11:37 PM

….then Barack Obama may be our first woman president…

You know, I’m past the point of trying to figure this guy out. Like a raging manic depressive, you never know shat you’re going to get with him.

All I know is that I absolutely despise him and his administration with every fiber of my being. He’s an immature, empty-suit and has done irrepairable damage to our country.

No grey area here. He’s dangerous. We’ve been saddled with a White House full of 12 year-olds who are following the cool high-schooler who smokes and drinks beer.

BacaDog on June 30, 2010 at 11:37 PM

Mom Jeans who acts like a cup cake Presidentcy!!

canopfor on June 30, 2010 at 11:37 PM

nogooddeed on June 30, 2010 at 11:36 PM

A curtsy might be too risky for the Head Honcho of Saudi Arabia… Someone will have to wrap Obama in a Burqa.

MeatHeadinCA on June 30, 2010 at 11:38 PM

A Dolled Up Fence Post Turtle,

all revved up,with no place to go!!

canopfor on June 30, 2010 at 11:39 PM

Or did I mean risqué? Eh… with a believer in Sharia, does it matter?

MeatHeadinCA on June 30, 2010 at 11:39 PM

I do believe it was the seams in his nylons.

thomasaur on June 30, 2010 at 11:35 PM

well, if all this womanliness stuff holds up….then the next time he visits Japan do we call it a “curtsy”? or is it still a bow? these are the things the peeps needsta know….

ted c on June 30, 2010 at 11:40 PM

These guys have obviously not seen Sarah Palin’s latest, hammering Obama on national security.

VidOmnia on June 30, 2010 at 11:40 PM

damn, nogooddeed beat me to the curtsy comment. + 1 plie’ for you…

ted c on June 30, 2010 at 11:41 PM

ted c on June 30, 2010 at 11:40 PM

If a curtsy means he gets thrown in a Japanese jail, then let’s shoot for curtsy and start grooming Plugs Biteme for the throne.

MeatHeadinCA on June 30, 2010 at 11:42 PM

On the campaign trial/Sweetie Moment
===========================================

Obama – Sweetie Comment May 15

canopfor on June 30, 2010 at 11:42 PM

Someone will have to wrap Obama in a Burqa.

MeatHeadinCA on June 30, 2010 at 11:38 PM

I’m okay with that. I’m tired of looking at him.

nogooddeed on June 30, 2010 at 11:43 PM

Does that explain liking to talk about himself to no end, spending other people’s money like there is no tomorrow, not wanting to get his hands dirty, and saying one thing, but doing another…?

… Maybe it explains why every other leader in the world wants to do sex to the United States.

Who knows, I just see him as a politically corrupt cowardly union goon punk in a dress…

Seven Percent Solution on June 30, 2010 at 11:43 PM

To think the citizens of this country once traveled across the continent in covered wagons, over brutal terrain and under constant fear of Indian attacks all the while raising families and building a nation.

Now we are pussies.

rickyricardo on June 30, 2010 at 11:43 PM

Nite everyone,catch ya`s tommorrow:):):)

canopfor on June 30, 2010 at 11:44 PM

It is in America’s and the world’s best interests for our country to remain the dominant military superpower, but under President Obama’s leadership that dominance may be slipping away. It’s the result of an agenda that reeks of complacency and defeatism.

Sarah Palin’s Facebook Broadside for the Day

VidOmnia on June 30, 2010 at 11:44 PM

God, I hope not.

Cindy Munford on June 30, 2010 at 11:33 PM

Yeah, we went from cowboy diplomacy to crybaby appeaser. Obama: the 9/11 that keeps on going..and going..and..well, you get the picture.

Electrongod on June 30, 2010 at 11:44 PM

I’m okay with that. I’m tired of looking at him.

nogooddeed on June 30, 2010 at 11:43 PM

As am I.

MeatHeadinCA on June 30, 2010 at 11:44 PM

MeatHeadinCA on June 30, 2010 at 11:23 PM

OH!

Lanceman on June 30, 2010 at 11:44 PM

MeatHeadinCA on June 30, 2010 at 11:42 PM

I can’t wait for the Joe Biden bobble head dolls to come out that say “Bite Me!” or “Hey Smartass!” or “Who’s up for custard?”

ted c on June 30, 2010 at 11:44 PM

Nite everyone,catch ya`s tommorrow:):):)

canopfor on June 30, 2010 at 11:44 PM

Night.

MeatHeadinCA on June 30, 2010 at 11:44 PM

OH!

Lanceman on June 30, 2010 at 11:44 PM

Too honest?

MeatHeadinCA on June 30, 2010 at 11:45 PM

ted c on June 30, 2010 at 11:44 PM

Ted, you may have just came up with a great idea to sell… Get the copyright!

MeatHeadinCA on June 30, 2010 at 11:45 PM

Too honest?

MeatHeadinCA on June 30, 2010 at 11:45 PM

That was New Jersey Italiano like when someone gets zinged.

Lanceman on June 30, 2010 at 11:46 PM

rickyricardo on June 30, 2010 at 11:43 PM

I’m amazed at the fortitude and grit of those who settled the plains.

NebCon on June 30, 2010 at 11:47 PM

Yes, because “get in their faces,” “the time for talk is over” and “I won” are such consensus building catchphrases.

LOL give me a break. The only coalition President Kickass wants is for everyone to just shut up do exactly what he says.

inviolet on June 30, 2010 at 11:47 PM

ted c on June 30, 2010 at 11:44 PM

Man, that would be a BFD!

nogooddeed on June 30, 2010 at 11:48 PM

That was New Jersey Italiano like when someone gets zinged.

Lanceman on June 30, 2010 at 11:46 PM

Or in Obama’s case totally pwned. *mutters to self*

Remember when that kid at some university wanted to debate Obama? Yeah, well, Obama would have lost (woman or not).

MeatHeadinCA on June 30, 2010 at 11:48 PM

It is that his approach is feminine in a normative sense. That is, we perceive and appraise him according to cultural expectations, and he’s not exactly causing anxiety in Alpha-maledom.

By the way, can anyone tell me what the above quote even means?

Causing anxiety in Alpha-maledom? In which alpha males is he supposed to be causing anxiety? Anxiety about what? And what does that have to do with our cultural expectations?

I suppose maybe she means Obama is supposed to be scaring the other alpha-males, in order to assert his own alpha-maleness, but if so, she picked a very confusing way to say it.

Maybe Obama isn’t the only one who is obsessed with the sound of his own voice (or in this case, printed words).

RINO in Name Only on June 30, 2010 at 11:48 PM

INC on June 30, 2010 at 11:12 PM

Good point. This view devalues women–a strong woman can never be *better* than a man, only a weak one. The problems with this view are ascribing second class status to women and the perpetual battle between the sexes. Why not drop the sexism and view individuals based on their own merits, regardless of gender & stereotypes? Perhaps that is too idealistic.

I caught Parker’s subtle dig too at a certain “Rogue” mavericky-type female.

conservative pilgrim on June 30, 2010 at 11:49 PM

MeatHeadinCA on June 30, 2010 at 11:48 PM

Cue Narutopud or Jamesbo the law-talkin’ guy.

Lanceman on June 30, 2010 at 11:50 PM

inviolet on June 30, 2010 at 11:47 PM

But as pathetic as he is, that ain’t gonna be happening anytime soon.

BTW, this was my fav QOTD

Alinsky Defeater:
I used to fear Obama, but the world isn’t afraid of him. Hell, they
don’t even respect him, so why should I fear him? Just defeat him and
his agenda.

MeatHeadinCA on June 30, 2010 at 11:50 PM

Sarah Palin’s Facebook Broadside for the Day

VidOmnia on June 30, 2010 at 11:44 PM

must be flooded with traffic because I can’t link to it….

ted c on June 30, 2010 at 11:50 PM

Cue Narutopud or Jamesbo the law-talkin’ guy.

Lanceman on June 30, 2010 at 11:50 PM

Whatever. Aren’t they busy eating some corn out of someone’s crap?

MeatHeadinCA on June 30, 2010 at 11:51 PM

RINO in Name Only on June 30, 2010 at 11:48 PM

I didn’t get that either, but then again, I think that people that like to think of themselves as alphamales are probably more like sick-twisted epsilons.

MeatHeadinCA on June 30, 2010 at 11:52 PM

can we blame the moodiness on menstruation?—although, the poor guy does live with his mother in law…I’m sure I’d be thinking about jumping off the roof about 12 times a day if I lived with my mother in law

ted c on June 30, 2010 at 11:52 PM

VidOmnia on June 30, 2010 at 11:40 PM

Just read it. Impressive.

Electrongod on June 30, 2010 at 11:52 PM

Blago: Obama “Hen-Pecked” by Michelle

Don’t tell Meeechelle.

Schadenfreude on June 30, 2010 at 11:53 PM

ted c on June 30, 2010 at 11:52 PM

Good thing HornetSting sent the tampons…

MeatHeadinCA on June 30, 2010 at 11:53 PM

Good thing HornetSting sent the tampons…

MeatHeadinCA on June 30, 2010 at 11:53 PM

Speaking of which, did sub-par-ker steal her idea from HS?

MeatHeadinCA on June 30, 2010 at 11:54 PM

What utter drivel.

Tav on June 30, 2010 at 11:54 PM

What utter drivel.

Tav on June 30, 2010 at 11:54 PM

I’m sorry. I’m confused. Which leftist are you referring to?

MeatHeadinCA on June 30, 2010 at 11:55 PM

Speaking of which, did sub-par-ker steal her idea from HS?

MeatHeadinCA on June 30, 2010 at 11:54 PM

Or as I call her ‘Parallel Parker’.

Lanceman on June 30, 2010 at 11:55 PM

BTW, I think this is the pic that would have been more appropriate for tonight’s post

MeatHeadinCA on June 30, 2010 at 11:56 PM

INC on June 30, 2010 at 11:12 PM

I agree, wholeheartedly. I, for one, am incensed that President Obama’s “leadership” is the kind that Maureen Dowd assigns to my sex.

nogooddeed on June 30, 2010 at 11:57 PM