Quotes of the day

posted at 11:04 pm on June 30, 2010 by Allahpundit

If Bill Clinton was our first black president, as Toni Morrison once proclaimed, then Barack Obama may be our first woman president…

It isn’t that he isn’t “cowboy” enough, as others have suggested. Aren’t we done with that? It is that his approach is feminine in a normative sense. That is, we perceive and appraise him according to cultural expectations, and he’s not exactly causing anxiety in Alpha-maledom

Generally speaking, men and women communicate differently. Women tend to be coalition builders rather than mavericks (with the occasional rogue exception). While men seek ways to measure themselves against others, for reasons requiring no elaboration, women form circles and talk it out…

Granted, the century is young — and it shouldn’t surprise anyone that Obama’s rhetoric would simmer next to George W. Bush’s boil. But passivity in a leader is not a reassuring posture.

***
It’s hard to know where to begin. Does this mean that Hillary Clinton would not have been able to deal with the BP Oil crisis? Or that Hillary Clinton is better at speaking like a man that Obama (hello again MoDo!) Or that Obama is paying the price for speaking intelligently? Or that Joan Walsh was right, and this nation has been so infantalized by a combination of overreaching government policies and the media we really just crave a daddy who will tell us it’s all right. No grey area allowed.

Perhaps it’s that grey area that’s been causing the trouble all along. The grey area of empty coverage space needed to be filled. And the grey area of where Obama fits in the national storyline. At some point it will be easier to make a list of the things and people Obama hasn’t been compared to in the mediasphere’s continuing effort to pinpoint exactly who Obama is than it will be to comprise a list of the actual comparisons. In the meantime, it’s hard not to wonder if this column is a preview of what we can expect from Parker and Spitzer’s new CNN show…lord knows the world is dying to discover whether Eliot Spitzer thinks Obama is man enough. In the meantime I suppose we can be grateful that no Bambi references made it into this piece.

***
Two years ago – June 2008 – the press was still grappling with how Hillary Clinton had been portrayed in the press. Sarah Palin was still two months away, but mainstream figures were only just admitting that there *may* have been some sexism in the coverage of the first female contender for a presidential nomination. It took Katie Couric saying so in June 2008 to shake up the media enough to wonder, gee, are those dames nattering like a first wife outside probate court actually on to something? The case didn’t crack like a nut between the steel-plated thighs of a Hillary Nutcracker, but still – by now it’s pretty well accepted that those of us whining like so many nagging housewives were documenting something real. And if you don’t agree, you can go iron my shirt.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Or as I call her ‘Parallel Parker’.

Lanceman on June 30, 2010 at 11:55 PM

Well, after she joins Wolf and Eliot, it’s going to be Blitzker – can anyone say lefty-love-sandwich?

MeatHeadinCA on June 30, 2010 at 11:58 PM

I’m sorry. I’m confused. Which leftist are you referring to?

MeatHeadinCA on June 30, 2010 at 11:55 PM

The first Q of D was utter drivel. The second was merely drivel.

Tav on June 30, 2010 at 11:59 PM

Electrongod on June 30, 2010 at 11:44 PM

Let’s face it, “cowboy” to the press is anything short of full fledged surrender.

Cindy Munford on July 1, 2010 at 12:01 AM

The first Q of D was utter drivel. The second was merely drivel.

Tav on June 30, 2010 at 11:59 PM

Ah, thanks for the clarification. We have to be careful when referring to Lefty X and Lefty Y.

MeatHeadinCA on July 1, 2010 at 12:02 AM

OK, guys, I’m out. Gonna go breath and therefore be more manly than Obama.

MeatHeadinCA on July 1, 2010 at 12:04 AM

*breathe… I wonder if Obama is a better speller than me…

MeatHeadinCA on July 1, 2010 at 12:05 AM

Didn’t Mrs. Parker right a book about how boys are getting short shrift in the public schools? I believe that she feels that girls are getting to much attention because they are docile and boys are being discriminated against by their sheer maleness. So now she has the perfect example of the chicafaction (Sorry Rush, I don’t know how it’s spelled)of our country and he’s all ours. YAY!

Cindy Munford on July 1, 2010 at 12:07 AM

*breathe… I wonder if Obama is a better speller than me…

MeatHeadinCA on July 1, 2010 at 12:05 AM

Yeah but how do you pronounce corpsman and press corps?

Holger on July 1, 2010 at 12:07 AM

*breathe… I wonder if Obama is a better speller than me…

MeatHeadinCA on July 1, 2010 at 12:05 AM

Sure. He knows how to spell Corpseman and Breathalyzer.

Lanceman on July 1, 2010 at 12:07 AM

Cindy Munford on July 1, 2010 at 12:07 AM

She decided it would be a career coup to deride Sarah Palin instead.

Lanceman on July 1, 2010 at 12:09 AM

BTW, I think this is the pic that would have been more appropriate for tonight’s post

MeatHeadinCA on June 30, 2010 at 11:56 PM

Look at those people in the background. They are creaming and taken pics just to see Obama take a bite as if this is new territory.

Electrongod on July 1, 2010 at 12:10 AM

Calling him the first woman president is such an insult to women everywhere!!

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on July 1, 2010 at 12:10 AM

Calling him the first woman president is such an insult to women everywhere!!

-Aslan’s Girl

ROFLMAO!!!

Jdripper on July 1, 2010 at 12:11 AM

Lanceman on July 1, 2010 at 12:09 AM

That’s okay, it’s going to come back and bite her in the buttski before it is all over.

Cindy Munford on July 1, 2010 at 12:12 AM

1st through 31st.
OldEnglish on June 30, 2010 at 11:25 PM

Whoa
Thats not a leak
Thats a GUSHER !!!

macncheez on July 1, 2010 at 12:15 AM

Is everyone else seeing Charlie Crisp advertisements at the top?

Lanceman on July 1, 2010 at 12:15 AM

Is everyone else seeing Charlie Crisp advertisements at the top?

Lanceman on July 1, 2010 at 12:15 AM

Hotair has ads? (firefox+adblocker)

Inanemergencydial on July 1, 2010 at 12:19 AM

Hotair has ads? (firefox+adblocker)

Inanemergencydial on July 1, 2010 at 12:19 AM

How does that work? I got Godzilla Firefox.

Lanceman on July 1, 2010 at 12:24 AM

Barack Obama may be our first woman president…

Then I bet his cycle matches Michelle’s.

jbinnout on July 1, 2010 at 12:25 AM

I didn’t get that either, but then again, I think that people that like to think of themselves as alphamales are probably more like sick-twisted epsilons.

MeatHeadinCA on June 30, 2010 at 11:52 PM

I agree…also..

If a man has to think on whether he’s an alpha male or not, he’s in all probability not one.

donh525 on July 1, 2010 at 12:29 AM

I guess those of us that have been calling him President Prissypants figured this out a while ago.

slickwillie2001 on July 1, 2010 at 12:34 AM

Hotair has ads? (firefox+adblocker)

Inanemergencydial on July 1, 2010 at 12:19 AM

I have firefox+adblocker plus and flash blocker. Eventually you end up with no ads, period. You can even subscribe to free block lists to increase your coverage.

Are we being subversive?

donh525 on July 1, 2010 at 12:35 AM

Are we being subversive?

donh525 on July 1, 2010 at 12:35 AM

How do I get this adblocker dealy? These damn moving ads slow my Kaypro way the hell down.

Lanceman on July 1, 2010 at 12:38 AM

I have this to say to every one on the left trying to screw up this country.

Mr. Joe on July 1, 2010 at 12:42 AM

Lanceman on July 1, 2010 at 12:38 AM

Start with Firefox 3.6.
Click Add ons
Search adblocker or adblocker plus OR
Google adblocker
Flash block stops all flash from playing unless you click enable button.

I like it better than adblock because flash ads drive me nuts. But I have both! Flash block won’t block regular ads.

donh525 on July 1, 2010 at 12:48 AM

If you remain calm and assertive, the ads won’t bother you.

Mr. Wednesday Night on July 1, 2010 at 12:52 AM

Thanks, Don. I’ve saved that to FB for when I sober up.

Lanceman on July 1, 2010 at 12:55 AM

Lanceman on July 1, 2010 at 12:38 AM

Sounds like flashblock is what you are wanting if moving ( or flash) ads are you’re problem.

Flashblock is a Firefox extension. You can search it on Firefox extensions.

donh525 on July 1, 2010 at 12:58 AM

If you remain calm and assertive, the ads won’t bother you.

Mr. Wednesday Night on July 1, 2010 at 12:52 AM

You’re a much cooler customer than me Mr. W.

donh525 on July 1, 2010 at 1:00 AM

It is, technically, Uigher Wednesday.

Lanceman on July 1, 2010 at 1:02 AM

How about the first transgender president. He did start out as a male after all.

Mojave Mark on July 1, 2010 at 1:35 AM

Barack Obama may be our first woman president…

There’s a doubt there? I think not.

And Michelle Obama is our first First Husband.

Lourdes on July 1, 2010 at 1:56 AM

Mojave Mark on July 1, 2010 at 1:35 AM

Are you sure?

Lourdes on July 1, 2010 at 1:57 AM

Signing off. Good Night HA friends.

Electrongod on July 1, 2010 at 1:59 AM

Mojave Mark on July 1, 2010 at 1:35 AM

Someone needs to go down into the tunnel and look up
to find out

macncheez on July 1, 2010 at 2:02 AM

Is the dichotomy really a matter of male vs. female? Or is it more of a leader vs. follower thing? Maybe it’s executive vs. academic?

I suspect any real executive president would be more willing to go “cowboy” as warranted. Dithering is not appropriate for an executive, whether man or woman.

In other words, I doubt Obama’s faults trace back to being too womanly. (As fun as it might be to say so.) Obama’s faults come from never having to take charge and make decisions, and from hanging back and letting someone else do it. Always.

I think that is why the unprecedented number of czars in this administration. Obama wants to be able to ask someone else to make the call. In those things that simply can not be passed on to others (Afghanistan, oil spill), he dithers for long periods of time as if hoping circumstances will make the choice for him.

I also think the writer falls into the typical journalist trap of overdoing the analogies. Bush was certainly more “manly” than Obama, but I saw very few times when Bush’s rhetoric came close to boiling. Conversely, Bush appeared to feel little need to play the “tough guy,” such as publicly talking about “whose ass to kick” and “plug the damn hole.”

There Goes The Neighborhood on July 1, 2010 at 2:26 AM

Haha… and what coalitions has Obama built? Still living in the delusion that Barack Obama is bipartisan and a bridge builder I see.

Sharr on June 30, 2010 at 11:33 PM

Hey, that’s certainly not his fault.

I know this because it’s never his fault.

There Goes The Neighborhood on July 1, 2010 at 2:32 AM

He is quite girly, not that there’s anything wrong with that. but it’s not very presidential. The way he holds his hands is girly, his demeanor is girly, he’s girly.
Hey I’m a girly girl too but I don’t want the president to be one.

kellyjane on July 1, 2010 at 3:43 AM

There Goes The Neighborhood on July 1, 2010 at 2:26 AM

Post of the day.

B Man on July 1, 2010 at 3:53 AM

Call Obama anything you want as he is a disaster to our country under any label.

docdave on July 1, 2010 at 5:03 AM

While we are all admiring Obama in all of his femininity, America’s real first female president just let loose with a barn burner.

gary4205 on July 1, 2010 at 5:06 AM

I don’t know why they keep saying he speaks intelligently. The things he says are often wrong. Using lots of words – very slowly – does not mean intelligence. Chris Cristie sounds like he commands more intelligence because he’s able to get to the point quickly.

AbaddonsReign on July 1, 2010 at 6:02 AM

I guarantee Obama’s wife outweighs him. And it’s not like she’s obese (just a little ‘womanly’.)

If your wife outweighs you and she’s not obese…yeah. Definitely Beta.

Grace_is_sufficient on July 1, 2010 at 6:53 AM

Barack Obama may be our first woman president…

His uber-feminine hands are a dead giveaway. Makes me wonder what shade of pink he wears on his toenails.

tru2tx on July 1, 2010 at 7:20 AM

The reason he’s the inexorable beta-male president:
He’s not the man in his marriage. We have the first female president…Michelle, my belle, better known as the man in that family. Blago, said so.

Nalea on July 1, 2010 at 7:33 AM

But passivity in a leader is not a reassuring posture.

Neither is submissiveness (bowing like a serf while on his worldwide apology tour).

President Pantywaist is only willing to act tough when he’s facing his real enemies, like the citizens of Arizona trying to enforce the rule of law.

AZCoyote on July 1, 2010 at 7:49 AM

First woman presiden? Well, I guess it’s not so hard to believe if you’ve ever seen Obama throw a baseball.

tommyboy on July 1, 2010 at 8:21 AM

I have never met a liberal Alpha Male. I’m not saying they don’t exist, but I’ve never met one.

Who knows, I guess you could say Snoop Dog is an Alpha Male and I would doubt that he is a conservative, at least not socially. He probably is for the 2nd amendment though, lol.

jeffn21 on July 1, 2010 at 9:12 AM

Calling him the first woman president is such an insult to women everywhere!!

-Aslan’s Girl

Why does Kathleen Parker hate women?

Fallon on July 1, 2010 at 9:13 AM

I think Dick Morris had a better diagnosis for Obama. He is a legislator and a litigator, while the country needs an executive.

His response to the oil spill was to propose more legislation and to file criminal charges against BP. Marshalling a massive operation to clean up the oil is beyond his ken. Meeting mano a mano with the CEO of BP and demanding action was beyond his ken. Cutting through the bureaucratic red tape that is preventing many cleanup and prevention operations is beyond his ken. If he can’t put it in a bill or a lawsuit, he is lost.

His response to the collapse of the economy was more legislation, and demonizing Republicans, putting them on trial as it were. None of that is working, and it is finally sinking in to investors that we have a rudderless Administration with no ability to take executive action and relieve business of all the uncertainty.

He has no clue how to prosecute a war as a legislator or litigator, so ke hept all of Bush’s guys and told them to handle it. Now he’s even brought back Bush’s general to take command because he is totally clueless.

It’s not a gender thing, it’s an executive vs. legislator/litigator thing. Which is why this country has rarely elected Senators as President and those we have elected have pretty poor track records as executives. One of these years maybe we will finally learn our lesson.

rockmom on July 1, 2010 at 9:17 AM

Oh yeah, Hillary would not have been any better than Obama at any of this, because she is also a legislator and a litigator. Has nothing to do with gender. Sarah Palin would be a better choice than any Republican or Democrat Senator or Congressman of either gender, because she is an executive. Republicans in fact have a bumper crop of strong executives potentially running in 2012. Any of them should be able to beat Obama.

rockmom on July 1, 2010 at 9:21 AM

I

I was in a Trader Joe’s yesterday and actually thought the same thing, lol.

The only possible liberal Alpha Male I can think of is Bill Clinton but he could cry at the drop of a hat…

Hmmm… I think Bill Clinton was an Alpha Male who feigned being a Beta Male when it served him, to appeal to the left.

Fallon on July 1, 2010 at 9:21 AM

….feminine in a normative sense.

WHO speaks like this?

No normal person I’ve met, that’s for sure.

Sir Napsalot on July 1, 2010 at 12:54 PM