Obamateurism of the Day

posted at 8:05 am on June 30, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

How can one tell when Barack Obama is bluffing? When he assumes his alter ego, Captain Kickass. Even before he gets to the dire warning that he’s not bluffing, though, Obama manages to tell a hilarious whopper in bolstering his threat to take action. Obama wonders aloud why people are surprised when he does what he says he will do:

And one of the interesting things that’s happened over the last 18 months as president is for some reason, people keep on being surprised when I do what I said I was going to do. So I say I’m going to reform our health care system and people think, well, gosh, that’s not smart politics, maybe we should hold off. Or I say, we’re going to move forward on don’t ask, don’t tell, and somehow people say, well, why are you doing that, I’m not sure that’s good politics.

I’m doing it because I said I was going to do it. And I think it’s the right thing to do. And people should learn that lesson about me, because next year when I start presenting some very difficult choices to the country, I hope some of these folks who are hollering about deficits and debt step up, because I’m calling their bluff. And we’ll see how much of that — how much of the political arguments they’re making right now are real, and how much of it was just politics.

Is he kidding? It’s probably too much to pull together a list of every promise Obama has broken since taking office, but just this weekend his White House reversed themselves on closing the detention facility at Guantanamo Bay, which was supposed to define his presidency.  In the past weekend, Obama has also refused to reaffirm the pledge he made for over two years not to raise taxes on middle-class workers.  Obama once promised to pull America out of Iraq in 16 months after taking office; we’ve just passed 17 months, and Obama has not deflected from George Bush’s plan by an iota.  And that’s just those within the past ten days.

But more to the point, the people “hollering about deficits” have done so because of the spending of Barack Obama and his Democrats.  If he wanted to take action, he could have just stopped spending so much money, and no one would be “hollering” about it.  It’s akin to a man who raids a safe and then warns that if people want security, he may have to charge them for an alarm system.  It’s a vain, hypocritical bluff, which is a feature of this President to which his nation has begun to become accustomed.  (via Nino S)

Comments

Its called the big lie.

rob verdi on June 30, 2010 at 8:07 AM

How can one tell when Barack Obama is bluffing?

Heh. Isn’t this a tad like the old riddle, “How can you tell when a politician is lying?”

apostic on June 30, 2010 at 8:08 AM

Time for some creative video editing. Remember Papa Bush’s “Read my lips. No new taxes”?

Edit B. Hussein Obama to say “Read my lips. No new taxes”, and we have a new viral video.

NavyspyII on June 30, 2010 at 8:11 AM

On a side note, I take it as a testament to the impact of the tea party movement (and economic reality) that debt and deficits are now issues, case in point, this is what Obama’s title at the OMB said about the 2010 budget:

A NEW ERA OF
RESPONSIBILITY
the 2010 Budget

“A budget is more than simply numbers on a page. It is a measure of how well we are living up to our obligations to ourselves and one another.”
– President Barack Obama

This is what it says now:

A New Era of Responsibility
The 2011 Budget

Rather than fight the same tired battles that have dominated Washington for decades, it’s time to try something new. Let’s invest in our people without leaving them a mountain of debt.Let’s meet our responsibility to the citizens who sent us here. Let’s try common sense.
– President Barack Obama

subtle changes, but informative nonetheless.

rob verdi on June 30, 2010 at 8:12 AM

Yeah he’s in community organizer shakedown mode.

Basically he’s telling us that after the elections he’s going to really start confiscating wealth through aggressive taxation on the employed.

When we protest, he will say “see, I told you their talk about deficits was bravado.”

Will America prevent this by giving themselves a veto-proof Republican majority?

Of course not. Americans are good at putting out fires, but they’re notoriously bad at smelling smoke.

jeff_from_mpls on June 30, 2010 at 8:13 AM

Yeah, he does tell some real whoppers, but when he tells the truth…

“we are five days away from fundamentally transforming the United States”

texabama on June 30, 2010 at 8:16 AM

So, Barry, does that mean you’re going to start cutting the entitlements of social programs or raise taxes? Or are you simply going to threaten to do so to get Congress to go along and keep passing spending bills? It’s like every time revenues get tight, the first thing out of the mouths of the politicians is, “We have to lay off police and firefighters” instead of laying off administrative staff, forcing public employees to drive their own car to work, take away the credit cards, and eliminate “fact-finding missions” and “conferences” to Europe or strangely tropical climes.

tpitman on June 30, 2010 at 8:19 AM

Yeah, he does tell some real whoppers, but when he tells the truth…

“we are five days away from fundamentally transforming the United States into a banana republic

texabama on June 30, 2010 at 8:16 AM

Yeah, but he left out that last part.

Daggett on June 30, 2010 at 8:20 AM

It’s hard to take this guy seriously about anything.

pain train on June 30, 2010 at 8:20 AM

Can you do the jig while lying?

Good grief, Obowma lies about near everything.

tarpon on June 30, 2010 at 8:22 AM

He knows that he can do anything he wants because:
A. American’s are stupid and lazy and won’t vote out porkers like Robert Byrd and the rest of the incumbents
B. The GOP will rollover and do anything he asks after Nov 2.

flytier on June 30, 2010 at 8:22 AM

How can one tell when Barack Obama is bluffing?

Just keep in mind that Obama is a typical Chicago Daley Democratic Machine politician, which means he has been empowered with the ability to talk out of both sides of his mouth and lie through his teeth at the exact same time.

pilamaye on June 30, 2010 at 8:24 AM

Is all about him all the time. In two paragraph with 192 words, “I” appeared 14 times and “me” once.

year_of_the_dingo on June 30, 2010 at 8:27 AM

Obligatory thread music for you.

ted c on June 30, 2010 at 8:30 AM

This guy is a freaking joke. He needs to be run out of town on a rail. Take Congress back and throw his ass out. Open investigations on everything. From birth certificate to Blagojevich and Rezko.

I’m sure we all know people who voted for him. I do. They feel like idiots now. They bow their heads and shake them in disgust when they think about their vote.

Even the few who support him still seem to be faking it. They support him because they are blind loyalists – but get them in the voting booth with that curtain pulled and many of them are going to vote him out.

Mr Purple on June 30, 2010 at 8:32 AM

This is the bug that the lab of liberalism gave us. A traumatized, deserted child. Incubated in religious schools which featured a faith notoriously antagonistic to our traditions and national interests. Educated in privileged institutions in this country where He never had to deal with an average student’s tests and realities.

He has so many disconnects and such a warped
sense of self and reality that seeing personal failure or shortcomings in the liberal agenda is not a real possibility.

He doesn’t want to be a disaster. Being POTUS is what He is stuck with doing just now — between golf dates and parties.

He isn’t the problem. It is those “hollering” folks.

IlikedAUH2O on June 30, 2010 at 8:37 AM

probably true, but here’s a list Jim Geraghty put together awhile back.

chasdal on June 30, 2010 at 8:41 AM

“I’d rather be a really good one-term president than a mediocre two-term president”
- B. Obama, Jan. 2010

rogerb on June 30, 2010 at 8:42 AM

Quite a few in the black community here have already smelled a rat. A number have through their weight behind Marco Rubio.

katy the mean old lady on June 30, 2010 at 8:42 AM

Vote for my bill or I kill this puppy.

Mojave Mark on June 30, 2010 at 8:42 AM

I think he means, in order to reduce the deficit, he will propose tax increases and reduction in defense spending. He has no intention to cut entitlements.

ladyingray on June 30, 2010 at 8:50 AM

Was that with or without a teleprompter?

Either way…

Shy Guy on June 30, 2010 at 8:52 AM

Now he has to do something about those expiration dates attached to his promises.

TimBuk3 on June 30, 2010 at 8:59 AM

jeff_from_mpls on June 30, 2010 at 8:13 AM

You might have said: “most” or “many” Americans Jeff, but I would submit that plenty of us here have been “smelling” a ton of rotten policy coming from this administration for a long time.

Rovin on June 30, 2010 at 8:59 AM

Hopefully “the party of NO” will become “the party of HELL NO” in January, 2011 and begin to roll back and defund the liberal agenda enacted strong-armed through the despicable 111th Congress. Republicans ought to have a clear plan that warps Democrats minds so frequently that the “the party of arrogant power” is at the MSM microphones whining several times a day when Congress 112 is in session.
The Republicans also ought to make it a rule that if a Democrat schedules a press conference about some “issue” they have to make time available for a Republican at the same presser to respond and denounce. That will give Democrats a good, full view of the Fairness Doctrine in action so they can get their fill of it.

ExpressoBold on June 30, 2010 at 9:02 AM

If we thought dear leader did things fast this year and got a lot of stuff passed that we don’t like, wait til next year, is what he’s telling us. The takeover is not complete, yet, and since he’s amassed a lot of power that used to reside in the congress, he’s not worried if the republicans take back the majority since he rules by fiat now.

Kissmygrits on June 30, 2010 at 9:07 AM

Tell me dear Kick-Ass Leader: why were you at the G-20 spouting your “spend, spend spend”?

katablog.com on June 30, 2010 at 9:17 AM

Actually, Ed, this is akin to the store that doubles its prices so it can advertise a 40% off special. Øbama tripled the deficit and now wants to cut it. What a fiscal hawk he is.

Also, to be fair, your Iraq, taxes, and Gitmo points are things he said he was going to do but didn’t. He is complaining about people who are surprised when he actually does one of the things he said he would do. I don’t know who he is talking about. We conservatives are not surprised by his actions as much as we’re horrified by them. Liberals, on the other hand, are more concerned with the things he hasn’t done. I wonder who’s surprised. Sasha? Melia? Biden?

Kafir on June 30, 2010 at 9:18 AM

Obama Plan to Lower the Deficit: Legalize 20 million illegals

Problem: No jobs so 20 million more unemployed.

katablog.com on June 30, 2010 at 9:28 AM

In other words he’s going to kick our asses even more next year. Lovely.

scalleywag on June 30, 2010 at 9:39 AM

Its called the big lie.

rob verdi on June 30, 2010 at 8:07 AM

And somewhere, despite his torments, Joseph Goebbels is smiling. As I study history, I’m reminded that people at the time dismissed Mein Kampf as “well, he doesn’t really mean that.” Not saying that Obama = Hitler, just that there are similarities to how they gain & hold power and what they want to do to society. A nation of serfs, dependent on their betters, rather than a nation of free men.

rbj on June 30, 2010 at 9:41 AM

He never even mentions the gulf anymore, like that problem doesn’t exist. It’s a catastrophe of epic proportions…almost like a nuclear bomb hitting us every day and all he wants to focus on is his agenda.

scalleywag on June 30, 2010 at 9:42 AM

jeff_from_mpls on June 30, 2010 at 8:13 AM

That’s exactly what he’s saying..

petefrt on June 30, 2010 at 9:42 AM

When ya gonna STOP THE LEAK
from day WON?
IMPEACH THIS POSEUR!

dhunter on June 30, 2010 at 9:50 AM

Akzed on June 30, 2010 at 9:59 AM

It’s a bird!

It’s a plane!

No it’s,

it,s… aw crap, it’s just Captain KickAss again. :>(

hillbillyjim on June 30, 2010 at 10:02 AM

His next year warning starts after the elections in Nov. and ends on Jan. 3, 2011. It’s called the lame duck session. Be prepared for them try and ram through all of their wet dreams in that 2 month period.

chemman on June 30, 2010 at 10:17 AM

scalleywag on June 30, 2010 at 9:42 AM

I get that same impression. No action taken from the beginning, then “Plug the damn hole!” — as if the situation is just a nuisance, like one of those flies around his face…now I think he’s just bored with the subject. Hell, he got the money out of BP, what else do people want?

betsyz on June 30, 2010 at 10:21 AM

Ed, it’s more like the guy who takes a dump on your front porch and rings your doorbell to tell you that you have to clean it up. Or, better yet, hire a union worker to do it.

kscheuller on June 30, 2010 at 10:24 AM

So Bambi reformed the health care system,I guess Crazy Nancy,Dingy Harry the Apollo Alliance et.al. had nothing to
do with it.
Next year(after the Republicans make signifcant gains),I’m going to throw the rest of the Democraps under the bus,so I can take full credit for the Republican’s work.Clenis taught me that one,Thanks Bill.
I’m doing it because I said I was going to do it,and any follower of Alinsky and Marx knows it’s the right thing to do.

DDT on June 30, 2010 at 10:25 AM

Even the healthcare is a lie. A bunch of deadlines and vague goals to be determined later by a person not answerable to the voters. The outcome is employers not hiring and seriously wondering from one month to the next if they will be able to comply. Since I try not to be big on conspiracies, it looks to me like the smartest man in the world is just stupid.

Cindy Munford on June 30, 2010 at 10:28 AM

…next year when I start presenting some very difficult choices to the country, I hope some of these folks who are hollering about deficits and debt step up, because I’m calling their bluff.

I hope everyone is reading this properly, because what he’s saying is that he will be a) raising taxes and/or b) devaluing the dollar next year in order to pay for all of his spending. And if the Republicans complain, he will call them hypocrites. By difficult choices, he means that we will have no choice but to pay for his excesses, and he can tell us to shut up and deal with it. And THIS will be Barack Obama being TOUGH, Barack Obama being RESPONSIBLE. Just wait.

Majority or bust, people. A few seats ain’t gonna cut it: we need a sweep.

Animator Girl on June 30, 2010 at 10:34 AM

Maybe if this President hadn’t spent so much time developing his antipathy toward Jews under the tutelage of his notoriously anti-Semitic mentor & pastor Jeremiah Wright, POTUS might have been able to develop a better working understanding of their concept of chutzpah?

leilani on June 30, 2010 at 10:40 AM

You can always tell when Barry is lying. His lips are moving.

GarandFan on June 30, 2010 at 10:45 AM

How can one tell when Barack Obama is bluffing?

When he opens his mouth.

tencole on June 30, 2010 at 10:46 AM

He is sick and tired of hearing these congress critters saying “My constituents are going to throw me out of office”.

borntoraisehogs on June 30, 2010 at 10:50 AM

katy the mean old lady on June 30, 2010 at 8:42 AM

katy, I hope and pray that applies to a lot of other communities just like it in all the other 57 states…

lovingmyUSA on June 30, 2010 at 10:57 AM

…here’s a list Jim Geraghty put together awhile back.

chasdal on June 30, 2010 at 8:41 AM

Thanks

lovingmyUSA on June 30, 2010 at 10:59 AM

Thanks for making this a QoD, Ed. I’ve been linking to it with every possible occasion in the last 2-3 days.

His incessant repeating to us, to the world, “as presisident” is puerile. Is there anyone, with a functioning brain cell, who doesn’t already know that he’s the President? He is constantly reminding himself of how ‘grand’ he is, which diminishes him every time.

His cadences, and the way he emphasizes “do” and “I” are something to make one’s ears ring.

All he says has an expiration date. The great Jim Geraghty nailed him and will have a permanent line in history.

He lies! Suit without a man and without an emperor.

Schadenfreude on June 30, 2010 at 11:31 AM

Sheesh, s/b “making it an OotD”.

Schadenfreude on June 30, 2010 at 11:33 AM

I…I…I… !!!!

Everything is done because HE said so, because HE thinks it’s the right thing to do. What if We the People, We who pay taxes, We who will be saddled with crushing debt for decades to come, don’t think it’s the right thing to do?

We ARE hollering about deficits, because We the People, We your Bosses, never asked for ObamaCare and Porkulus and bailing out GM and Chrysler and the UAW! Go ahead, Captain Kickass, call our bluffs! We double-Blue-Dog dare ya!

See you in November…and by January, things might get a tad ornery and “ronery” in the People’s House…

Steve Z on June 30, 2010 at 11:51 AM

Just the words I love to hear from a President. NOT!!!!!!!!

This is not a game, Obama. This is reality, real life, real lives you’re messing with. You keep screwing people the way you have, and they’re gonna bite back….eventually.

Obviously they don’t teach common sense at Harvard.

capejasmine on June 30, 2010 at 1:10 PM

I’m still waiting for someone to ask Obama or Gibbs who’s @sses got kicked over the oil spill. Because as far as I can tell, he still hasn’t done it, even though he checked with the experts to find out “who’s @ss needs kicking.”

taznar on June 30, 2010 at 2:08 PM

Every time this fool takes the stage, he gives us “the finger”. At some key point in nearly every propaganda speech, with his right hand middle finger, he scratches his cheek, eyebrow or something. The message is clear, he is telling us to get effed.

scullymj on July 4, 2010 at 9:32 AM

“because next year when I start presenting some very difficult choices to the country”

Now I’m even MORE WORRIED for out future.
So, he is
telling us that he will be presenting “difficult choices” to us. Is
anyone aware of what he is insinuating? It appears
like he will seize on some “crisis” to
impose further
new “administrative” laws upon us.

Ira on July 4, 2010 at 6:38 PM