It’s come to this: Bored senators now bantering with Kagan about “Twilight”

posted at 5:02 pm on June 30, 2010 by Allahpundit

I thought of leading with the new story from Life News about Kagan meeting with the AMA when she worked in the Clinton White House to finesse their position on partial-birth abortion too, but why bother? What’s truer to the spirit of these moronic confirmation hearings, debating the propriety of a political officer influencing a medical lobby’s scientific conclusions or debating whether she’s on Team Edward or Team Jacob?

There’s nothing in the Constitution that requires a confirmation hearing for a nominee so I don’t know why we bother anymore. The argument in favor, I guess, is that when someone’s paper trail is as thin as Kagan’s is, it’s that much more important to haul her before Congress to find out what her thinking is. But that’s idiotic. It’s precisely because no one knows what her thinking is that Obama nominated her. Do you really think he would have chanced it if he wasn’t perfectly sure that she’d dodge any “tough” question thrown her way? Her nomination is historic in this sense: So easy has it been for her that future presidents will be sorely tempted to follow The One’s example and pick ciphers of their own. Why risk a contentious hearing by choosing a judge with 20 years’ worth of opinions when you can pick a law professor somewhere who’s written three articles or whatever in 25 years? There’s great risk in that, of course — if you’re not sure where your nominee stands, you’re risking another Souter — but that can be dealt with to some extent in private conversations. So if you’re excited at the thought of more people being named to the Court with zero experience, good news! The future belongs to you. Bring on the “Twilight” questions.

Update: The latest news from the hearing. I guess it was all worth it now.

Comments

Oh FFS.

fusionaddict on June 30, 2010 at 5:03 PM

come on, ask some tough questions, like what she thinks about Jersey Shore.

Holger on June 30, 2010 at 5:05 PM

Idiocracy.

lorien1973 on June 30, 2010 at 5:05 PM

The question is more indicative of the intelligence of the questioner than the respondent.

LincolntheHun on June 30, 2010 at 5:06 PM

Scarier still, she wouldn’t take a side.

elcapt on June 30, 2010 at 5:06 PM

What a joke of a hearing this is.

Lance Murdock on June 30, 2010 at 5:06 PM

What would be really awesome is if she said something like, “Yeah, I like vampire movies. In fact, I just took my 14 year old girlfriend to one the oth…OOOPS!”

Or something else outragous that might actually wake up a GOP senator to ask some real questions.

At least it would be a cool Scooby-Doo moment.

DrAllecon on June 30, 2010 at 5:07 PM

Is it something about lawmakers from Minnesota that makes them idiots?

Franken asked Sotomayor about her favorite episode of Perry Mason while Klobochar is asking Kagan if she’s on Team Edward.

I still think the funniest and saddest part of the whole thing is that Sotomayor’s answer to the Perry Mason question was probably the best one she gave during her hearings.

teke184 on June 30, 2010 at 5:07 PM

Boxers or briefs?

Disturb the Universe on June 30, 2010 at 5:07 PM

It’s called spooning.

Was anyone expecting differently?

It’s over. The little experiment is over. They rule us. We do not influence them.

And they’re laughing at us.

jeff_from_mpls on June 30, 2010 at 5:08 PM

Where are we going, and why are we in this handbasket?

skydaddy on June 30, 2010 at 5:10 PM

And these are the idiots we vote in who ask these dumb questions presiding over our laws.

Nice Job Americans!

upinak on June 30, 2010 at 5:10 PM

*facepalm*

Every day it’s another insult to the intelligence.

What’ll it be tomorrow, I wonder?

I look forward to shedding tears of joy when these people are kicked the **** out of Washington.

Pardon my old English…

turfmann on June 30, 2010 at 5:10 PM

I’ve got a question for Kagan. What is your opinion on the Star Wars series. Original or Prequel? If she says prequel, we know she is pure evil.

Lance Murdock on June 30, 2010 at 5:11 PM

Was anyone expecting differently?

And they’re laughing at us.

jeff_from_mpls on June 30, 2010 at 5:08 PM

This.

Rae on June 30, 2010 at 5:12 PM

“Clarence Thomas, please spell the word sesquipedalian and then use it in a form of a question.”

“Elena Kagan, please name the current President of the USA.”

Electrongod on June 30, 2010 at 5:12 PM

The great one weighs in:

This is a ridiculous exercise I guess. Obumble nominated his man, there you go. The GOP should at least make the process as painful as the Dems did for Bork. This Kagan chick worked for the craziest judge in the world, after all.

Instead, the GOP plays dead.

joeindc44 on June 30, 2010 at 5:12 PM

Maybe they could spend just a little time probing her on the Second Amendment? Between Hollywood questions, of course.

GnuBreed on June 30, 2010 at 5:13 PM

Is it something about lawmakers from Minnesota that makes them idiots?

teke184 on June 30, 2010 at 5:07 PM

Yes. They are all drones. Your skin crawls when you walk in downtown Minneapolis. They are creatures without souls. Words come out of their mouths, but thoughts are not expressed.

Slogans and ideas, theories about class and gender abound. But not meaningful ideas or theories, the words are strung together and yet you sense the brain that forms the words does not know what they mean. They are almost pavlovian.

Please, you must never live here. Run like the wind.

jeff_from_mpls on June 30, 2010 at 5:13 PM

She’ll reread the Federalist papers? I wonder if she shouldn’t have said she would read them, without the re-?

hawksruleva on June 30, 2010 at 5:13 PM

What is Twilight?

If it’s on network TV, no need to answer. I don’t watch.

BobMbx on June 30, 2010 at 5:14 PM

My day is complete.

FerfeLaBat on June 30, 2010 at 5:14 PM

Once again, the GOP place nice while the Dems play hardball. Thanks for standing up for us, you spineless, snivelling sellout Senators.

hawksruleva on June 30, 2010 at 5:14 PM

Why don’t they just fly paper airplanes back and forth.
Every senator knows how they’re voting. These hearings are a joke.

lonestar1 on June 30, 2010 at 5:14 PM

Elections have consequences.

Dingbat63 on June 30, 2010 at 5:16 PM

That will only apply to Democrat presidents. If a GOP president tried this, the press would go apoplectic and the Dems in congress would bring to Bork rope.

AUINSC on June 30, 2010 at 5:16 PM

I never understood two things of relevance here.

First, why did Judge Bork become engaged in the discussions on all those issues?

Second, why doesn’t the right have a “lion” like Teddy to act like a complete bore and liar?

IlikedAUH2O on June 30, 2010 at 5:16 PM

Clarence: “What is a sesquipedalian?”

“You don’t know what a sesquipedalian is?”

Clarence: “I am answering your question..do I need to spell it out for you?”

BobMbx on June 30, 2010 at 5:17 PM

Let’s start a required reading list for her:

1. The U.S. Constitution

publiuspen on June 30, 2010 at 5:17 PM

Twilight forgotten in 5 years.

Her court decisions could still stand in 100 years.

Do your job Senators.

journeyintothewhirlwind on June 30, 2010 at 5:17 PM

I really want to know what’s Kagan favorite American Idol winner and if she like bonbons. Oh, I also want to know her recipe on chicken wings and her favorite flavor of custard.
This is the correct forum for this questions..right?

Electrongod on June 30, 2010 at 5:17 PM

There obviously are no qualifications necessary to be a senator.

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on June 30, 2010 at 5:18 PM

IlikedAUH2O on June 30, 2010 at 5:16 PM

Physical impossibility? After all, the Dems did pick up Franken. Why have two in the building?

BobMbx on June 30, 2010 at 5:18 PM

BobMbx on June 30, 2010 at 5:17 PM

Exactly. :)

Electrongod on June 30, 2010 at 5:19 PM

Important!

Abby Adams on June 30, 2010 at 5:20 PM

Ms. Kagan, what did you think about King Kong v. Godzilla? And were you surprised that it was a 5-4 decision?

Emperor Norton on June 30, 2010 at 5:20 PM

The convergence of sub-moronic, atavistic, insanely bad-craziness of these hearings is trumped only by the racist dog-whistle blowing of unhinged far Left anti-science xenophobia.

(guess who I am!)

On Topic: What can I, or anyone, say that hasn’t been said before. They make the rules up as they go along (Congress) and then “confirm” (guffaw) people who generally do the same (SCOTUS).

Commerce Clause FTW!!!1!!!

Aquateen Hungerforce on June 30, 2010 at 5:24 PM

Is Kagan a Vampire??????

jp on June 30, 2010 at 5:24 PM

I actually heard one of the congresscritters refer to the Thomas hearings as the “Anita Hill” hearings.

JFC.

Aquateen Hungerforce on June 30, 2010 at 5:25 PM

When the ballot box fails, the real fun begins.

SirGawain on June 30, 2010 at 5:26 PM

Important!

Abby Adams on June 30, 2010 at 5:20 PM

ack abby. don’t make me go ka$ha on you and keep playing her stupid songs.. over… and over… and over.

upinak on June 30, 2010 at 5:28 PM

Because he was acting in good faith unlike the people who were questioning him and these craven morons today.

Joe Biden had a huge hand in borking Bork. We can thank him for what Supreme Court confirmations have become.

Missy on June 30, 2010 at 5:29 PM

It’s official. They’ve turned the supreme court, the legislative process, and the entire United States Government down to a level below pond scum. There is no legitimacy, no intergrity, no honor, and no purpose to this anymore.

It’s become one giant, collasal joke!

capejasmine on June 30, 2010 at 5:29 PM

Remember in November

grapeknutz on June 30, 2010 at 5:30 PM

When you think about it – given the importance of the topic and Kagan’s propensity for rewriting the ending of anything she likes for whatever random reason – this could turn out to be the crucial question of the entire proceedings. We, of course, KNOW how it ends because we read the books … well … I read the books. Liberals just skim and interpret. Should it actually come down to cases, and if PETA brings the case to court, Kagan is not above a simple alteration of the final chapter to suit the political agenda. IS Bella into beastiality? Or is she more into wild, headboard bashing, furniture breaking sex with a 108 year old walking corpse? Bestiality is still legal in many states. Necrophelia is … not. By the fourth installment we could be looking at a more politically correct ending allowed to be shown only in the states where bestiality is ok – like Florida.

There’s something here … something deep.

FerfeLaBat on June 30, 2010 at 5:30 PM

This is emblematic of the idiocy we have in Washington. Ugh.

cubachi on June 30, 2010 at 5:32 PM

Bestiality is still legal in many states…..

FerfeLaBat on June 30, 2010 at 5:30 PM

What state is Kagan from?

Electrongod on June 30, 2010 at 5:33 PM

Did I just ruin the ending?

I did. Didn’t I.

Whoo. Edge of the seat. Will they confirm her or won’t they. Ignore what I said about her potential ruling on Bella’s sex life with dogs and dead guys. She dies in the end. So. There’s no case,really.

FerfeLaBat on June 30, 2010 at 5:34 PM

This was dumb, but virtually every single questioner (with the possible exception of Lindsay Graham) asked equally dumb questions.

crr6 on June 30, 2010 at 5:34 PM

Twilight…how appropriate. We’re about to enter a deep, dark night until next January.

SouthernGent on June 30, 2010 at 5:36 PM

Is this a joke? Yes … it is a joke.

This woman (?) will be confirmed.

What a sad day for our Liberties … get ready to have your daily diet planned by the Romulan princess and upheld as Constitutional by the SCOTUS.

ORrighty on June 30, 2010 at 5:36 PM

What state is Kagan from?

Electrongod on June 30, 2010 at 5:33 PM

Altered States

FerfeLaBat on June 30, 2010 at 5:36 PM

I say waterboard the nominee and get some real answers out of her… Get her to Gitmo…

Kuffar on June 30, 2010 at 5:37 PM

Yup. “World’s BEST deliberative body”. Yup.

GarandFan on June 30, 2010 at 5:37 PM

Your Tax dollars at work. Seemed alittle pre-contrived… Yes?

CynicalOptimist on June 30, 2010 at 5:39 PM

At least this is keeping some senators from passing more bills…I think they should have confirmation hearings on every elected official, every appointed official, every employee, every dog catcher, every fireman, everyone, just to keep them busy and not writing bills…

right2bright on June 30, 2010 at 5:40 PM

I actually think her answer on her written memos, and her answer on the commerce clause was well thought out and quite intellectual.

right2bright on June 30, 2010 at 5:43 PM

Nice to see our tax dollars so hard at work

ToddonCapeCod on June 30, 2010 at 5:44 PM

These hearings were a veritable parade of wasted opportunities by GOP senators.

We saw flashes of the kind of tough questioning of Kagan that America badly, badly needed out of our senators, but the Republicans just couldn’t, or wouldn’t, sustain a true hard-hitting examination.

Can we ever really trust the Senate to do the truly hard work that the American people require?

Or are they too beguiled by their cushy leather chairs and their soft lives to really give a damn anymore?

Edouard on June 30, 2010 at 5:44 PM

They are bantering about Twilight.Seriously,would you want to run into something like her in the dark?Eek.

DDT on June 30, 2010 at 5:47 PM

It was probably a stealth question to “out” her. Had she answered Team Bella the jig would have been up.

FerfeLaBat on June 30, 2010 at 5:48 PM

Real life is becoming way too much like the Onion:

year_of_the_dingo on June 30, 2010 at 5:50 PM

Listen to Mark Levin with volume set at low .

borntoraisehogs on June 30, 2010 at 6:05 PM

Why do they even have hearings? The Republicans are ridiculous stooges.

Bugler on June 30, 2010 at 6:12 PM

Per one infamous troll on these boards “the adults are in charge now”

Scrappy on June 30, 2010 at 6:24 PM

Senators, if this tripe is the best you can muster for confirmation hearings, resign your seat. Now.

Oh, and where’s the FY 2011 budget? How’s that work going?

ya2daup on June 30, 2010 at 6:35 PM

Twilight? And they say the GOP congress lacks conviction! Team Edward or Jacob? How much more cutting edge can you get?

Oh, have no idea what Twilight is? Well that is what preteen girls like to read, watch and discuss.

Here is Andrew Breitbart beating Andrew Sullivan like a baby harp seal.

Mr. Joe on June 30, 2010 at 6:37 PM

1. I hate Twilight

2. I’m so glad the Democrat, Senator Amy, let alone Congress.. has time to waste on asking a Supreme Court nominee what’s her favorite teenage girl work of fiction character is… It makes me feel so good that America’s future is in the hands of some of the most idiotic people on the planet.

3. I REALLY hate Twilight…

Razgriez on June 30, 2010 at 6:56 PM

The real story is that Klobuchar is displaying her empty head for all to see.
I’ve seen more insight on the Colbert Report.

n0doz on June 30, 2010 at 7:00 PM

Here’s a more salient question: is she Team Hank or Team Francisco? Seems more relevant. But I bet she wouldn’t get it.

Red Cloud on June 30, 2010 at 8:10 PM

the same folks who killed estrada’s nomination because he did not have judicial experience….puuhleeeeze…

cmsinaz on June 30, 2010 at 8:13 PM

jeff_from_mpls on June 30, 2010 at 5:13 PM

Read this post. It is true.

It’s too late for Jeff & I.

Save yourselves.

Seriously.

Bruno Strozek on June 30, 2010 at 8:16 PM

This has nothing to do with the questions but the woman looks like a beetle to me. I hope she doesn’t think like one. But, Harvard you know.

LarryG on June 30, 2010 at 8:19 PM

I had her brother as a teacher in high school. If she’s anything like him, or the rest of NYC, she’s a dyed in the wool socialist that will make up law as she goes along. She’ll be an identical vote to the man she’s replacing, Justice Stevens. Big shock, I know.

njrob on June 30, 2010 at 8:26 PM

Somebody needs to ask Kagan her opinion of Sharia Law.

That~ or, in keeping with “Twilight” theme~ whether fair use applies in taking a pop song and grafting it over a Sponge Bob Square Pants music video.

profitsbeard on June 30, 2010 at 10:09 PM

Can’t blame them, really…they must know it’s all a song and dance. 0bama is going to get his way, again, and only an outright miracle will stop him.

Dark-Star on July 1, 2010 at 11:16 AM

You will all be envious to know that I and three of my daughters and my embarrassed and reluctant husband saw a 8:15pm PRE-SHOWING Of Eclipse!

Yes I am the best mother on the planet. In case you were wondering.

Kagan… and most commenters at Hot Air are totally out of touch with America.

Not really. It really is pretty unbelievable that this was mentioned in the hearings. Entertaining but unbelievable.

However after discussing with my 15 year old… I’m changing my team. I love the actor who plays Jacob so I’ve been team Jacob. (I only read the first book.)

Now I’m team Edward because… in the words of my fifteen year old Jacob always wants Bella to sleep with him and he manipulates her… But Edward wants to wait until they are married and wants her to make her own choices.

Hmmmm this series is relevant to life after all.

petunia on July 1, 2010 at 3:36 PM