Audio: Bobby Jindal at wit’s end over feds’ handling of oil spill

posted at 7:39 pm on June 30, 2010 by Allahpundit

Nothing here that you don’t already know — the clean-up’s bureaucratic nightmare is already approaching Kafkaesque dimensions — but it’s one thing to know it and another to hear Jindal almost frantically begging for relief. He knows only too well what it’ll mean if/when the first hurricane starts heading towards the mainland with millions of gallons of crude just offshore. You know what would make him feel better, I’ll bet? A few rounds of golf.

Wasn’t the White House telling us that recently, incidentally — that it’s good for America when the president hits the links? New from Marist:

President George Bush’s handling of Hurricane Katrina was a black mark on his administration, and now, there’s bad news for his successor.
Nearly six in ten voters nationwide — 57% — say President Barack Obama’s handling of the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico is either the same or worse than Bush’s handling of Katrina. This includes 34% who report Obama’s management of the disaster is comparable and 23% who view it as worse. 37%, however, say he is handling the crisis better than Bush managed Katrina. 6% are unsure.

While nearly six in ten Democrats — 59% — believe the president is handling the crisis better than how his predecessor dealt with Hurricane Katrina, one-third of Democrats say Mr. Obama is dealing with it only about the same or worse. This includes 28% who say the president’s management is on par with Mr. Bush’s and 5% who report it is worse. Not surprisingly, most Republicans — 80% — believe President Obama has demonstrated equal or worse crisis management skills than President Bush. 44% think they are comparable, and 36% believe they are worse. 14% say he is handling it better.
Independents align more with Republicans. 63% rank Obama’s management as either on the same level as Bush or below the former president. This includes 34% who say he is on par with Bush and 29% who believe his handling is even worse. One-third of independent voters rate Mr. Obama’s performance as better.

I wonder what that translates to on The One’s self-grading curve. If his first year in office was a solid B+, this must be … a B-? How about a B for, er, “effort”?

As you listen, be sure to read through the Heritage Foundation’s 10 recommendations for what the White House can do right now to speed recovery in the gulf. More than half involve either lifting regulations of some kind or not passing regulations that are in the works. Click the image to listen.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

baldilocks on June 30, 2010 at 9:38 PM

Obviously Plain has supporters. She also has critics that rush to Palin threads to criticize her. They do this in EVERY Palin thread. Usually their criticisms are not about what she has just said or done – but vague and stupid things like the tone of her voice, or they recycle leftist talking points about the Couric interview, etc.

How many people do you see criticizing Jindal in this thread besides me? Pretty much nobody.

I think that shows the double standard that exists. To counter that double standard I believe Palin supporters should flock to threads about other politicians and express their criticisms.

Not exactly the best thing for the party -(or the site) but I’m not one to just stand by and let a perceived wrong go unchecked. I’m also not opposed to using 2 wrongs to make a right.

Mr Purple on June 30, 2010 at 9:47 PM

Junior is best at doing nothing. His votes of “present” are not a symptom, but a clear statement of the man.

The spill grinds his agenda to frag this country any way he can. After all, until he was elected, there was no reason to have any pride in it, and now being elected, he is anointed to bring it in line to something he likes. And if inaction is a path toward that goal, you got it.

Jobs are leaving the US for oil development sites overseas. Hell, Junior himself took $2B of taxpayer money and sent it to Brazil so they can develop their offshore find…in water 1.4-2x deeper than where the spill occurred. Huh? Deindustrializing the US, one job at a time.

Jindal is a threat. Of course in an environment where everything is politics and any means of hurting those not paying proper obeisance to your majesty…of course you do it. He can always blame Thad Allen or someone else. The goal here is to undercut Jindal.

I would not waste too much more time worrying about Junior and what he will do. I guess I would sit back and figure out how to take as much control of the situation as I could and just do it.

This isn’t an environmental disaster, it is a political opportunity for those who can destroy but cannot build, who say A and do B nanoseconds later.

As for me, going Galt looks all the better…I just need a few more guns and some other stuff…

Harry Schell on June 30, 2010 at 9:53 PM

Bobby Jindal is exceptionally smart, dedicated, and loves his state and country.

Too bad one cannot say the same of the pathetic person presently posted at 1600 Pennsylvania.

Christien on June 30, 2010 at 9:57 PM

Mr Purple

“Purple” as in S.E.I.U. perchance?

Buy Danish on June 30, 2010 at 10:00 PM

“Purple” as in S.E.I.U. perchance?

Buy Danish on June 30, 2010 at 10:00 PM

Or Barney because his last post sounded like it came from a 2 year old who missed his nap.

gophergirl on June 30, 2010 at 10:04 PM

Buy Danish on June 30, 2010 at 10:00 PM

Nope. The name is from a thoroughbred horse who used to race in SoCal.

Plus I like the color.

Mr Purple on June 30, 2010 at 10:04 PM

Barney it is.

Buy Danish on June 30, 2010 at 10:05 PM

Buy Danish on June 30, 2010 at 10:05 PM

Ok Cupcake.

Mr Purple on June 30, 2010 at 10:08 PM

Jindal certainly has come a long way since the creepy, Mr. Rogers sweater address to the nation.

Scranton on June 30, 2010 at 10:12 PM

Scranton on June 30, 2010 at 10:12 PM

Yeah, he can almost ‘speaky engrish’ now without sharing his delusional alternate realities with his audience.

They must have found a new anti-psychotic for him.

Mr Purple on June 30, 2010 at 10:18 PM

Salazar? Absent. Fema? Absent. Homeland Security? Absent. Mr. President? Appoints a commission and a czar. Soon the gulf will look like Nigeria.

scalleywag on June 30, 2010 at 10:21 PM

Mr Purple on June 30, 2010 at 10:08 PM

Could you provide more evidence that Jindal did not respond properly to the attack on Alle’ Bautsch? I can’t put my faith in what people like Pat Dollard (a Hayride source) say since I have noticed that he has a tendency to distort the truth himself, something I parsed in excruciating detail here.

I have been wondering what is going on with this case, but I’m not sure that you’re the most reliable source, particularly after your ‘Palin critics do it so I will too’ defense.

Buy Danish on June 30, 2010 at 10:29 PM

Where are the GOP House and Senate leaders on this? Why won’t they speak out against Bambi’s criminal negligence? Why?

Bugler on June 30, 2010 at 10:31 PM

Jindal’s doing OK in his response. Still haven’t heard any coastal parish presidents attacking him. That says a lot.

Christien on June 30, 2010 at 10:31 PM

Yeah, he can almost ’speaky engrish’ now without sharing his delusional alternate realities with his audience.audience.
They must have found a new anti-psychotic for him.
Mr Purple on June 30, 2010 at 10:18 PM

Crossed post. On second thought – nevermind – I’ll look elsewhere for info because you’re a freaking jackass.

Buy Danish on June 30, 2010 at 10:34 PM

I move that the normal hurricane naming rules be suspended and this hurricane be named Oilbamageddon.

agmartin on June 30, 2010 at 10:35 PM

I think that shows the double standard that exists.

A double standard exists when one thing is allowed to happen and another similar thing is not. Criticism, defense and inquiry of Palin are allowed to happen here. All three are allowed to happen for anyone here. Therefore, all three are allowed to happen for Jindal. You see, it’s not the fairness of the commenters that matters; it’s the fairness of the owners of Hot Air. If you don’t like that, then it’s time to complain…or frequent another site.

Mr Purple on June 30, 2010 at 9:47 PM

Still not sure what is wrong. You think something that happened with Jindal is wrong. Others want to know what it is and your reasoning for thinking that the occurrence is wrong. What’s the problem?

And you will indeed convince some people by using a “wrong” to make a “right,” but I’ll bet that you’ll won’t want such people on your side.

BTW, I like talking to you, in spite of our very small difference of opinion.

baldilocks on June 30, 2010 at 10:38 PM

Buy Danish on June 30, 2010 at 10:29 PM

Sure, Cupcake.
—————–
Gov. Jindal has been noticably silent on the maiming of his aide, issuing a brief statement three days after the attack when it first became public and later sending out his spokesman to deny a report that the couple was wearing Sarah Palin pins when attacked. Curiously, the New Orleans police also waited three days until the attack became public to open a criminal investigation.

Bautsch’s mother, Della Berning, says her daughter’s leg was stomped and broken in four places by protesters who were part of an anti-Republican protest organized by leftists who followed the couple from Brennan’s restaurant, the scene of the fundraiser.Bautsch’s wounds required a rod and seven screws to be implanted in her leg. Brown suffered a broken nose and jaw and as well as a concussion that gave him problems with remembering details of the attack.

According to the police report, which is based on Brown’s beating-induced foggy memory, the attackers yelled things like, ” “Little blonde bitch,” “You’re a f——- faggot,” and “You think you’re f—— special.”

Bautsch’s mother told Fox News, “…things were said to my daughter and to her boyfriend that basically everything was about money. From the time they were walking out of the restaurant things were being said to them.”

Berning told Yahoo News that Brown and her daughter have told her they were attacked by protesters who followed them as they left the fundraiser at Brennan’s.The host of the fundraiser, Louisiana Republican Chairman Roger Villere, Jr., said in an intrview that he was targeted and pursued by protesters as he tried to leave the fundraiser. He and his group had to leave out the back as the protesters had blocked the entrance to Brennan’s. When the protesters spotted them, Villere and his group fled to a taxi and made their escape. Bautsch and Brown weren’t as lucky.

Some conservative bloggers and reporters have hurt their reputations with their condescending efforts to play down the political basis for the attack on Bautsch and Brown.
————–
Dollard also isn’t the only source for the ‘whisper campaign allegations – although is frequently cited as the source of that allegation. I would also add ‘some conservative bloggers’ ignored the story completely (like HA).
————–
Dollard’s report lends credence to what a reporter who is also working the story told me on background last week, that the scuttlebutt was that people were going to be saying Bautsch has a “big mouth” and “may have brought the attack on herself.”

Mr Purple on June 30, 2010 at 10:48 PM

baldilocks on June 30, 2010 at 10:38 PM

A double standard exists if people attack somebody for posting Jindal criticisms if they do not also attack those who post Palin criticisms.

baldilocks on June 30, 2010 at 10:38 PM

What? I can’t make any sense out of that at all. What ‘something’ are you referring to – and why should I be expected to give a reasoning for anything? Palin bashers sure don’t. I’m willing to – but my comments about the tone of his voice and other obviously co-opted Palin criticsms do not warrant expalining any reasoning.

Mr Purple on June 30, 2010 at 10:59 PM

Mr Purple on June 30, 2010 at 10:18 PM

This is offensive.

baldilocks on June 30, 2010 at 11:00 PM

This is offensive.

baldilocks on June 30, 2010 at 11:00 PM

To you. So what? I could find a bunch of posts by you I find offensive. Big whoop.

Mr Purple on June 30, 2010 at 11:05 PM

The small people support Jindal. Nobody cares what anyone else thinks of him.

Christien on June 30, 2010 at 11:09 PM

Has Hot Air committed this offense? Have any of Hot Air’s posters–Ed, AP, previously MM and Bryan or the Green Room posters done this? Because that’s who matters here.

baldilocks on June 30, 2010 at 10:38 PM

What? I can’t make any sense out of that at all. What ’something’ are you referring to – and why should I be expected to give a reasoning for anything? Palin bashers sure don’t. I’m willing to – but my comments about the tone of his voice and other obviously co-opted Palin criticsms do not warrant expalining any reasoning.

Mr Purple on June 30, 2010 at 10:59 PM

You criticized Jindal and called him a toad for *something.* Others wanted the know what that *something* was and you deemed it unfair to ask. However, you already spelled out what that *something* is since my 10:38 comment. All I was saying is that is isn’t unfair for others to ask you why you think/feel the way you do.

baldilocks on June 30, 2010 at 11:09 PM

Mr Purple on June 30, 2010 at 10:48 PM

Thanks for nothing. I already found all that info myself via the magic of Google. I found nothing substantive to back up the claims about Jindal throwing her under the bus. But you continue to prove that you’re an offensive jackass.

Buy Danish on June 30, 2010 at 11:16 PM

Has Hot Aircommitted this offense? Have any of Hot Air’s posters–Ed, AP, previously MM and Bryan or the Green Room posters done this?

I would say ‘yes’. Allah is chronically snarky towards Palin. I showed this once in a thread where I pulled a daily recap of Palin articles and pointed out Allah’s bias. Nearly everyone at that point agreed – even some who never saw it before. I will search for that thread and post it shortly.

You criticized Jindal and called him a toad for *something.*

I did not see anybody asking for a reason I called him a toad. He is a toad for throwing Allee Bautsch under the bus.

He is mentally defective for creating his ‘alternate reality’ in the SOTU speech.

Mr Purple on June 30, 2010 at 11:19 PM

Mr Purple on June 30, 2010 at 10:48 PM

The assault is an ongoing case, I am sure most lawyers would suggest that Gov. Jindal keep his remarks to himself since he was not a witness to the crime. If you have any evidence that Gov. Jindal has treated Ms. Bautsch and her boyfriend in anything but a supportive manner during their recovery, let’s hear it.

Cindy Munford on June 30, 2010 at 11:30 PM

Why is it that Palin ends up occupying so much of the commentary on threads which have nothing to do with her, but are about Jindal (and Allee Bautsch)?

Buy Danish on June 30, 2010 at 11:31 PM

This is offensive.

baldilocks on June 30, 2010 at 11:00 PM

Mr Purple on June 30, 2010 at 11:05 PM

If you have found some of my comments here offensive, please cite them and explain your reasoning. I’m open to explaining myself.

baldilocks on June 30, 2010 at 11:32 PM

Below is the thread I mentioned earlier. I assemble Palin criticism from Allah on a near daily basis. There is NO OTHER REPUBLICAN who gets anywhere NEAR this kind of criticism. Allah does not dispute this. He revels in it.

Since Allah is the lead blogger here, the lemmings willfully follow his lead. Allah has created an environment where Palin bashing is encouraged.

Start reading at this comment to see the article by article Palin criticisms:

Mr Purple on January 19, 2010 at 3:24 AM

Mr Purple on June 30, 2010 at 11:41 PM

Dang! I’ve been looking for this thread. I found incriminating evidence at the NOLA Anarchist’s website that they were pushing people around that night. *Crickets*.

So yeah, I don’t buy the fact that this was just a drunken brawl. But this has nothing to do with Jindal’s response.

Buy Danish on June 30, 2010 at 11:42 PM

Why did I find your “engrish” comment offensive regarding Jindal? Because it had nothing to do with his competence as Governor or even his role in the crime committed upon his financial aide. It merely was a racial slur–a stereotypical reference to Jindal’s Asian heritage. It was pointless.Basically, that comment undercuts your opinion of the man. But if you don’t care about that, I can only shrug. Keep on keeping on.

baldilocks on June 30, 2010 at 11:32 PM

You want me to start with this comment and work my way backwards?

Finding something offensive is in the eye of the beholder. I might find the wording of your opening line offensive. I might find your request to cite and explain offensive. I might be offended you didn’t use the word ‘bunnies’ in your response.

I’m just saying I could find anything offensive if I chose to do so.

Mr Purple on June 30, 2010 at 11:46 PM

I’m just saying I could find anything offensive if I chose to do so.

Mr Purple on June 30, 2010 at 11:46 PM

Oh. You’re one of those “moral relativism” sorts. Got it.

baldilocks on June 30, 2010 at 11:50 PM

I’m just saying I could find anything offensive if I chose to do so.
Mr Purple on June 30, 2010 at 11:46 PM

You already have. You’re offended by a perceived bias on Allah’s part towards Palin, and you’re offended by commenters who criticize her. Meanwhile, I’m quite certain that Palin, who is nothing if not clear about what’s right and wrong, would be appalled by your “Engrish” comment.

Buy Danish on June 30, 2010 at 11:55 PM

Dear Mr. Purple, you don’t like Gov. Jindal but you do like Gov. Palin. Got it. Why do you have to justify your dislike of Gov. Jindal by talking about stuff that has zero to do with his handling of LA disaster and his difficulty with federal bureaucracy?

Cindy Munford on June 30, 2010 at 11:56 PM

Oh. You’re one of those “moral relativism” sorts. Got it.
baldilocks on June 30, 2010 at 11:50 PM

Bingo. Kinda like Kagan, who said in her opening statement: “And what I’ve learned most is that no one has a monopoly on truth or wisdom”.

Buy Danish on July 1, 2010 at 12:00 AM

Cindy Munford on June 30, 2010 at 11:56 PM

Actually I think Jindal is a pretty solid Gov that does have a future. I am highly PO’d at his handling of Allee Bautsch and he is going to have win back my support.

I’m also willing to smear the hell out of him to make a point. I also don’t have anything particularly against Mitt or Huck – but will smear the hell out of them as well.

I do not think it is right that this site has chosen to be a place where Palin is a target. I’ve been around since the first VideoBlog by MM. I still miss Bethany filling in.

The usual excuse given to defend Allah for his constant Palin smears is ‘that’s his style’. BS. He didn’t do that to any other Republican before or since Palin arrived on the scene.

Another popular excuse is ‘he does it for traffic’. So it is OK to smear somebody for website hits? Is that what we are saying? If true – why is it limited to Sarah?

Mr Purple on July 1, 2010 at 12:27 AM

Buy Danish on June 30, 2010 at 11:55 PM

…and you are offended that I would attack Bobby Jindal.

Your point was….?

Mr Purple on July 1, 2010 at 1:25 AM

Buy Danish on July 1, 2010 at 12:00 AM

…and yet it was no me that first cried ‘that’s offensive’ in this thread.

I merely stated I could find things to take offense at as well. When asked to expand on that statement, I did so.

I expect to see you staunchly attack the Palin critics next time you see them post a critical comment. You seem to be quite offended by my criticisms of Jindal.

Then again, maybe you are just another Kagan as well, Cupcake.

I went 6 months after originally pondering attacking other politicians as Palin is attacked – save for the occasional jab at Allah’s boy Mittens.

Now the gloves are off. Huck, Jindal, Romney, Newt – I don’t care who it is I will start to criticize them every time I see their names mentioned. If it’s OK to do it to Palin it is OK to do it to everyone else. Yet somehow that offends you.

Mr Purple on July 1, 2010 at 1:36 AM

Mr Purple on July 1, 2010 at 12:27 AM

Dude, seriously, take a farking pill.

As someone who lives in the epicenter of everything Jindal due to living in BR and being connected with state government and local media, I’ve heard all of this crap and more before, most of it by people desperately trying to smear him rather than coming up with anything of substance to say.

If I wanted to hear a bunch of whining about how Jindal is a liar, does nothing, is only running for President instead of running Louisiana, etc., I’d pick up a copy of The Advocate and read the front page or turn on the local ABC channel owned by the same people as the newspaper.

teke184 on July 1, 2010 at 1:40 AM

This is offensive.

baldilocks on June 30, 2010 at 11:00 PM

Mr Purple on June 30, 2010 at 11:05 PM

This guy has become banworthy by now, hasn’t he? Even someone who had a coherent contribution to make could get banned for being that gratuitously rude, over and over. And Mr P has been both rude and incoherent.

YehuditTX on July 1, 2010 at 3:00 AM

Mr Purple on June 30, 2010 at 9:47 PM

Sophomoric name calling is not criticism, despite what MSNBC told you.

John Deaux on July 1, 2010 at 8:23 AM

Mr Purple on July 1, 2010 at 12:27 AM

I recognize you as a commenter of long standing. Your problem is with Allah. It is also in the eye of the beholder. I don’t see him as smearing her. She’s the top of totem pole right now, if she’ going to stay there she will have to handle what’s here and worse. I still don’t understand your unhappiness of Gov. Jindal’s handling of Ms. Bautsch assault. While I agree that it could very well have been an attack by Leftists it, it would be crazy for him to say that without proof. It isn’t as if New Orleans has been crime free before and after the protest.

Cindy Munford on July 1, 2010 at 8:23 AM

I think your post is condescending, devious and ill advised. This is not a political issue, Illinois Diva (Valerie Jarrett) There are lives at stake. Not only lives, but the environment. Your boss has essentially delivered the entire gulf coast region of the United State of America to a death sentence. Choke on it, Valerie.

Key West Reader on June 30, 2010 at 8:15 PM

Umms… so I’m basically Valerie Jarrett now. Disagree with her politics, but she’s making a heck lot more money than I do, so thanks I guess.

The approval rating in question is Bobby Jindal’s, not Barry’s. The post that I was responding to seemed to think that Barry was trying to make Jindal look bad, which since this has helped Bobby Jindal’s political career must be one of the most incompetent moves evah.

Illinidiva on July 1, 2010 at 10:27 AM

Mr Purple on June 30, 2010 at 10:18 PM

Hey Mr. Purple, why don’t you join George Allen and Joe Biden and go screaming Macaca at all the 7-11 cashiers in Delaware?

According to Rasmussen, Gov. Bobby Jindal has a 74% job approval rating in his state, despite the oil washing up in the marshes. It might have taken some time for Jindal to convince the Cajuns and good ole boys to trust the son of Indian immigrants, but they’ve figured out that Jindal is smart and competent and ready to get his hands dirty and do anything he can to lead and protect the people of his state. While the Anointed Barry O seeks asses to kick in his prim and proper black suit and tie, Jindal is out on oil-skimming and sand-dredging barges on the Gulf in jeans and a T-shirt meeting with those who CAN clean things up, begging and pleading with the Federal Government, “PLEASE let us do our jobs!!! If you won’t help, at least stay out of our way!!!”

Jindal is NOT in an “alternate” reality, but facing an oily, smelly, grim reality where one life-blood of his state (oil) is killing another life-blood of his state (fishing) and is valiantly fighting with all the resources he can find.

As Martin Luther King said, we should judge a man not by the color of his skin, but by the content of his character. Bobby Jindal is in the fight of his life right now, but his
character is strong and shining clearly for those with eyes to see, like 3/4 of the people of Louisiana.

Steve Z on July 1, 2010 at 11:18 AM

…and you are offended that I would attack Bobby Jindal.
Your point was….?
Mr Purple on July 1, 2010 at 1:25

I’m not offended that you attacked him, it’s the bigoted manner in how you did it. Like a Jackass. Maybe Madonna could make a song of it.

Buy Danish on July 1, 2010 at 12:44 PM

Mr Purple on June 30, 2010 at 10:18 PM
This is offensive.

baldilocks on June 30, 2010 at 11:00 PM

Scratch a liberal (troll), you’ll find a racist. Every stinkin’ time. Unfortunate, but true. Racial slurs ought to be a banning offense, but HA likes the traffic they elicit.

NTXLass on July 1, 2010 at 1:40 PM

Jindal is 10 times smarter than Obama could ever hope to be.

tomas on June 30, 2010 at 9:43 PM