Video: GOP candidates shooting machine guns in ads to get attention now

posted at 6:22 pm on June 29, 2010 by Allahpundit

Via Ace, after weeks of Petersonmania and months of assorted Alabama kookiness, I’m on the cusp of gimmick fatigue. Even so, it’s hard to blame her for trying this: She’s locked in a primary with six(!) other Arizona Republicans, all of whom doubtless want to pound the table about immigration, so here’s her way to stand out from the pack. She could sit there and try to prove her conservative “authenticity” by droning on for 30 seconds about amnesty, fiscal responsibility, values, etc, or she could use shorthand by picking up a tommy gun and squeezing off a few rounds. Bottom line: You’re more likely to remember her name after an ad like this than an ad like the one I described, no? Then her work here is done, my friends.

Exit question: Is this what Palin’s 2012 ads are going to look like? Don’t whine. You know you’d love them.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I’d drop the NRA portion. Other than that, I think I just had a misfire… in my pants.

madmonkphotog on June 29, 2010 at 7:43 PM

Hubba hubba hubba.

Holger on June 29, 2010 at 7:45 PM

Had to write a put down of Sarah Palin, right, AP? You are so predictable. She could write and speak rings around you.

rlwo2008 on June 29, 2010 at 7:45 PM

If there was a president who was spending all him or her time on the shotting range vs the fairway. I would take the shotting range. Only the secret service would need have a problem with live rounds going off around the POTUS, people not so much

tjexcite on June 29, 2010 at 7:45 PM

I might move to Arizona just so I can vote for her.

smokinjoe on June 29, 2010 at 7:48 PM

Never trust a NY “conservative”

faraway on June 29, 2010 at 7:49 PM

Yes I would love a Palin add like that. What can I say, I like good lookin well armed chicks.

smokinjoe on June 29, 2010 at 7:50 PM

Is that a Thompson sub-machine gun with the round clip? NICE!!

My friend Jerry (from Chicago, R.I.P.) had two of those… Beautiful weapons… Brought them out west with him when he moved to SOCAL…

Khun Joe on June 29, 2010 at 7:55 PM

Eah no big deal, most of our women here in Az can shoot better than the guys…it’s just the tobacco chewing that takes a little time to get use to…lol

btw – guarantee you that Thompson wasn’t a true .45 cal. There’s no way you can pull the trigger like that on a .45 and keep it from lifting you off the ground.

Badbrucskie on June 29, 2010 at 7:55 PM

IT IS THE YEAR OF THE REPUBLICAN WOMAN

canopfor on June 29, 2010 at 6:45 PM
===================
..abba-lutely! Add her to the list!

The War Planner on June 29, 2010 at 6:54 PM

The War Planner: Oh Gawd that was good,thank-you!!:)

canopfor on June 29, 2010 at 7:59 PM

I think we need more ads like this from candidates – especially women.

Our society has been completely wussified by the left. In the 70′s my friends and I would always carry a knife around. Pocket knife or a fixed blade camping knife on your belt – it was sort of a rite of passage (even for a city kid). Nobody really batted an eye.

Pretty sure I had taken a gun safety course by the time I was 12.

If you let your kid do that today Child Services would probably be at your door to take your kids away.

Now, I don’t care to be around people with guns that do not practice gun safety. I know a couple people like that. Personal responsibility and gun safety is a must.

Mr Purple on June 29, 2010 at 8:05 PM

Pretty tasteless, really. Too bad political discourse has come down to such a level. It says a lot about how much the electorate has been dumbed down. Stand up and take a bow, television, public schooling, and secular humanism.

paul1149 on June 29, 2010 at 8:08 PM

I’ll go with your assessment Allah….

CCRWM on June 29, 2010 at 8:15 PM

..flush out your headgear, newguy! Remember that festering piece of whale fat beating up on Tom Sellick about the second amendment but has an armed bodyguard?

The War Planner on June 29, 2010 at 7:07 PM

The War Planner: Another great video,and it seems Liberals
are activists first,talk show,last!:)

canopfor on June 29, 2010 at 8:23 PM

None of those are machine guns. The only full-auto is a Thompson sub-machine gun, which fires .45 ACP handgun ammo. The AR-15/M-4-style rifle is a semi-auto.

Typically, it isn’t a machine gun if it isn’t full auto, belt-fed, and isn’t sufficiently large to require a tripod/bipod to employ, or at least a significantly burly man to fire from a standing posture (though I believe the SAW is the only true machine gun in US service that’s ever employed from a stand, and even then I believe the practice is exclusive to US Navy SEALs).

Blacklake on June 29, 2010 at 8:25 PM

Bad idea. The Dale Peterson ad was good, but this doesn’t have that feel. Shooting guns is not what gets votes. It looks like a desperate gimmick and it segues perfectly into a the inevitable SNL skits that will make conservatives look like yahoos to the independent voters – the voters who actually decides elections.

keep the change on June 29, 2010 at 8:28 PM

Take that you filthy animal!

Mojave Mark on June 29, 2010 at 8:35 PM

That 100 round drum does a lot to add to the mass of a Thompson: it will climb more as the drum runs out, so the first rounds get you decent accuracy. A 50 round drum does that for you, too, but the ammo disappears very quickly.

Just pick up two 50 round boxes of .45ACP to get the idea then factor in the weight of the drum. Still that all balances out very nicely just as Gen. Thompson wanted it to.

ajacksonian on June 29, 2010 at 8:37 PM

Gorman-licious!

WordsMatter on June 29, 2010 at 8:37 PM

But will she HEAR what her constituents tell her? She doesn’t wear ear plugs when firing those guns!

leftnomore on June 29, 2010 at 8:41 PM

She’ll have to bag a Mexican drug cartel lord before she can get elected. Hopefully no relative of O.

Captain America on June 29, 2010 at 8:42 PM

Heeeeeelllllllllllll Fire. I’ll Move to Arizona to vote for her! ;-)

(am I a pig for Really liking hot women with guns?)
(“fire” is pronounced “far”)
(just so ya know)

dts-01 on June 29, 2010 at 8:45 PM

I’m moving to Arizona and voting for her!

MCGIRV on June 29, 2010 at 8:47 PM

I hear she’s atheist and already has a proposal by a blogger from HotAir.

Electrongod on June 29, 2010 at 6:46 PM

NNNOOO!

Virus-X on June 29, 2010 at 8:48 PM

Blacklake on June 29, 2010 at 8:25 PM

Since you want to be picky the Thompson is a sub machine gun as it fires pistol rounds, a machine gun fires a rifle round.
And the M-60 (now M-240) and M-2 are usually fired on a bipod and tripod (respectively). However you can fire the M-240 from the shoulder. The M-249 (SAW) has a bipod and can be shoulder fired. I have fired all of these weapons and never joined the Navy let alone been confused with a SEAL.

LincolntheHun on June 29, 2010 at 8:51 PM

Yooeee!! I love the commercial. Pamela looks like another of those amazing attractive conservative women that seem to have sprung up from nowhere to take on the liberals and the establishment Republicans.

docdave on June 29, 2010 at 8:54 PM

Why isn’t she running against McCain?

dragondrop on June 29, 2010 at 8:58 PM

The War Planner on June 29, 2010 at 7:07 PM

I’m neither new nor a guy.

Dr Evil on June 29, 2010 at 9:08 PM

A Thompson machine gun? Sweeeeeeeeeet!

Dr. ZhivBlago on June 29, 2010 at 9:24 PM

Whoah. Cute

kahall on June 29, 2010 at 9:49 PM

paul1149 on June 29, 2010 at 8:08 PM

Very well put, thank you.

Tommy_G on June 29, 2010 at 9:52 PM

Under the Palin administration, I can see Gorman as a lovely DHS secretary with Dale Peterson as SecDef.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on June 29, 2010 at 9:53 PM

Is that a Thompson sub-machine gun with the round clip? NICE!!

It’s a magazine not a clip.

Pelayo on June 29, 2010 at 9:59 PM

leftnomore on June 29, 2010 at 8:41 PM

She wasn’t even remotely aiming that glock either (and right after the narrator punned “and a pretty… good shot” too, ugh). But whatever, everyone does photo ops. Could’ve been worse.

Tanya on June 29, 2010 at 10:00 PM

madmonkphotog on June 29, 2010 at 7:43 PM

Why? The NRA just beat the anti’s at SCOTUS level. And the rating carries a lot of weight in some districts.

InTheBellyoftheBeast on June 29, 2010 at 10:18 PM

Yes I would love a Palin add like that. What can I say, I like good lookin well armed Conservative chicks.

smokinjoe on June 29, 2010 at 7:50 PM

Agreed, with that little Conservative addition…

WhoU4 on June 29, 2010 at 10:19 PM

It’s a magazine not a clip.

Pelayo on June 29, 2010 at 9:59 PM

It’s a drum not a magazine!

j/k

Inanemergencydial on June 29, 2010 at 10:23 PM

The Ladies out at the ranch always say after a good day of shootin’
“Girls with guns have more fun.”
It is a good ad and people who care will look her record up and decide.We need a complete house cleaning ,city,county,state,federal.
$100000.00 will buy you a congress critter any day.
Ask cold cash Jeff.

Col.John Wm. Reed on June 29, 2010 at 10:31 PM

Take that you filthy animal!

Mojave Mark on June 29, 2010 at 8:35 PM

I was coming straight for her!

Still, cool ad, even if it doesn’t get her anything.

Yakko77 on June 29, 2010 at 10:50 PM

I can see how this could lose votes but I do not see how it appeal to anyone whose vote see didn’t already have. I hope she fails .

borntoraisehogs on June 29, 2010 at 11:22 PM

Interviewed here:

Arizona suffers under the burden of illegal immigration while the Federal government does nothing. As congresswoman I will lead on demanding the Federal government secure the southern border, and never give amnesty to those who have illegally entered the U.S. Furthermore, I will work to advance spending cuts that will help reduce entitlement programs and remove incentive to cross the border illegally.

orfannkyl on June 29, 2010 at 11:58 PM

Blacklake – you can’t really use the style of feed to define a ‘real’ machine gun; there’ve been a lot of box-fed platoon-level LMGs (Bren, BAR, etc) not to mention stuff like the Russian drum-fed LMGs and the radial drum-magazine Lewis gun.

Submachine gun/machine pistol/assault rifle/light machine gun distinction is usually based on (a) power/range of the round fired (b) intended use (personal weapon vs crew-served) and (c) ability to withstand (somewhat) sustained full-auto use.

JEM on June 30, 2010 at 12:20 AM

*—*
_*-*
__*

I wanted to see what the results of her firepower were!

A Bin Laden target essentially eviscerated?

Otherwise a real B+.

profitsbeard on June 30, 2010 at 12:31 AM

I’m ambivalent about this… on the one hand, better her (better just about any conservative) than Grijalva. On the other, her wrists were awfully limp shooting that semi-auto pistol… there’s a debate going on in my family whether it was a .45 or a 9mm.

And a part of me can’t help but see this as a “we’re not afraid, bring it on!” statement to the drug cartels.

Jinxed on June 30, 2010 at 1:07 AM

I wanna see some 20mm cannon next time! But a “mini”gun would be okay, too.

Sherman1864 on June 30, 2010 at 3:29 AM

What? No Bikini?
This ad would be much better
If she wore much less…

Haiku Guy on June 30, 2010 at 6:26 AM

Areal straight shooter, who will not let minor roakblocks stand in her way.

MSGTAS on June 30, 2010 at 8:54 AM

Nice! I’m abobo and I approve of that message!

abobo on June 30, 2010 at 9:10 AM

Most of the GOP women are proving they are not afraid of being politically incorrect

Most of the GOP men, on the other hand . . .

They are in control of the national GOP establishment and . . . well . . . walking on eggshells and apologies are the order of the day.

Decorum prevents me from saying what’d I’d really like to.

Marybeth on June 30, 2010 at 9:47 AM

Second comment mentioned it, but FTR:

A machine gun fires a rifle caliber and is not intended primarily to be fired free hand. Though Sgt. John Basilone got a MoH while doing it with a .30.

A submachine gun is meant to be held in hand while being fired and chambers a pistol caliber. The Thompson fires .45, a pistol caliber, not from a tri or bipod, so it’s a sub-machinegun.

Beagle on June 30, 2010 at 10:42 AM

That Thompson, I think, was converted to fire .22 rimfire.

Heresy!

Beagle on June 30, 2010 at 10:44 AM

Wait until the politically incorrect Momma Grizzlies take over the GOP and start cutting off the party leadership’s balls, or in the case of Paula Gorman, blow them off with a Tommy Gun.

Regardless of whether or not she ever becomes President, Sarah Palin will have a effcet on the GOP and our country that few others have ever had.

bw222 on June 30, 2010 at 11:27 AM

Hot conservitive chicks with guns. What’s not to like?

mechkiller_k on June 30, 2010 at 11:37 AM

Badbrucskie on June 29, 2010 at 7:55 PM

Exposed . A fraud know-it-all .

borntoraisehogs on June 30, 2010 at 12:10 PM

It’s a drum not a magazine!

j/k

Inanemergencydial on June 29, 2010 at 10:23

So many frauds , so little patience .
It is a magazine , the shape does not change that term.
Shiite – Shinola , Shiite – Shinola , learn it , know it , live it .

borntoraisehogs on June 30, 2010 at 12:15 PM

Gorman has done 38 simulated drops!

Speedwagon82 on June 30, 2010 at 12:17 PM

I’d keep the NRA and drop the Christian part. I think guns are a lot less controversial a topic than Christianity.

watson007 on June 30, 2010 at 12:20 PM

What you didn’t see was that she was firing south, at illegals. Looked like she was having a good time too!

Vince on June 30, 2010 at 12:22 PM

I’m immediately suspect of anyone who has that much muzzle rise! Her shooting posture is back on her heels where she can not possible counteract recoil. Therefore, muzzle rise.
BTW, I’m a certified firearms instructor. I’ve taught Airborne Rangers, Air Force Intelligence officers, SWAT snipers.

Amendment X on June 30, 2010 at 12:45 PM

You know you will love those Palin 2012 ads too Allah.

Don’t whine, you know it’s true.

Brian1972 on June 30, 2010 at 12:52 PM

Goal of ad: name recognition. Success.

skydaddy on June 30, 2010 at 1:38 PM

I’ve fired the .45 ACP Thompson full auto with the 100 and 50 rd drum magazine and the 20 rd “stick” magazine (not a clip) Sub-Machine gun holding it in one hand and did not have the kind of muzzle rise depicted by some posters in here. The Thompson’s empty weight alone is what makes it managable on full auto. Adding the 50 rd and especially the 100 rd drums makes it downright heavy and very little compensation is needed (leaning into the gun as it fires and tries to rise) to control muzzle rise. The Thompson in the video IS a .45 ACP Tommy as you can tell from the size of the brass being ejected. .22 LR you’d barely see and 9mm’s cyclic rate is faster than the .45 ACP. Having fired several thousand rounds of .45 through the Thompson as well as the MAC 10 in .45 ACP (Powder Springs Ga. stamped) I know the sound it makes.

On the subject of the candidate in the vid and her shooting?

If she could make the outfit a lot tighter and more skimpy, I would really appreciate it.

Sarah Palin on full rock-n-roll in a catholic school girl pleated skirt and tight fittin blouse would be…. Hhhhhhhh OOh so fine.

Oh, and they call it the Sub-machine gun, because its ammo (.45 ACP “Automatic Colt Pistol”) is “Sub-sonic”.

But lets not quibble.

/Sarc

44Magnum on June 30, 2010 at 2:05 PM

What a goofy ad. The ability to shoot a gun is now somehow equated with knowing how to legislate? Any idiot can pull a trigger.

ButterflyDragon on June 30, 2010 at 3:13 PM

I wanna see some 20mm cannon next time! But a “mini”gun would be okay, too.

Sherman1864 on June 30, 2010 at 3:29 AM

The Mythbusters have gotten their hands on miniguns a couple times…I don’t know how they did, but they did!

There was one time at least where said minigun popped out of a hatch in the top of a black SUV. That was creepy; I have a sneaking suspicion that it was lent from some government motor pool and have always been a bit nervous around similar vehicles ever since.

Dark-Star on June 30, 2010 at 4:01 PM

Pamela Gorman’s primary opponent is Dan Quayle’s son.

bw222 on June 30, 2010 at 4:51 PM

smokinjoe on June 29, 2010 at 7:50 PM
Agreed, with that little Conservative addition…

WhoU4 on June 29, 2010 at 10:19 PM

Well, I though that with the good lookin and well armed part that conservative was a given.

smokinjoe on June 30, 2010 at 4:53 PM

44Magnum on June 30, 2010 at 2:05 PM

Ditto on the Thompson not having muzzle rise issues even on full auto. I heard this from a WWII vet (from my dad’s unit) who was issued a Thompson in WWII. Said it was a piece of cake to fire.

Snidely Whiplash on June 30, 2010 at 8:15 PM

Tanya on June 29, 2010 at 10:00 PM

I noticed that as well. She had rounds going into the next county on that one.

the Thompson was not a .45 caliber. look at the brass being ejected.

Hazzard on June 30, 2010 at 10:53 PM

She should be shooting at people coming over the border. Seriously. Have you had enough yet?

kellyjane on July 1, 2010 at 3:26 AM

Hazzard on June 30, 2010 at 10:53 PM

Hazzard, I did look at the brass being ejected, on Slow Mo, and definitely say it’s .45 ACP. 9Mil would be about the size of a pinky finger and that brass is about the size of her index finger which is right about .45 cal, so, you’re wrong.

Besides, I’ve fired the .45 ACP Thompson, the 9mm adapted and the .22LR and there’s a decidedly different report from the muzzle on 9mm compared to the vaunted .45 ACP. And the report coming off that video is the one I’m used to hearing which is .45 ACP. SO, you’re wrong. Oh, did I say that already?

LOLoud!

44Magnum on July 1, 2010 at 10:32 AM

Snidely Whiplash on June 30, 2010 at 8:15 PM

Thanks for the backup Snidley. My Uncle Bob McNatt was a Marine on Guadal Canal and as a squad Sgt, he was issued the Thompson. Once you got about 10 beers in this half Irish/half Cherokee azz, he’d open up about all the fighting he did on the Pacific Islands. Showed me his scar where a Japanese Officer ran him through with a sabre while Uncle Bob was sawing the Jap in half with the Thompson. He clutched that sabre the whole time he was being evaced to the hospital ship. Untill his death 5 years ago from cancer, he had it mounted in a case in his den. He also had a Thompson .45 in a violin case though I know it wasn’t the one he used in the Pacific. He loved chewing up Palmetto bushes in Fla where we lived and he let me fire it. I think I was 16 at the time, and I had no problems controlling it.

Later in life, I bought a full auto Thompson and a MAC-10 (Powder Springs Ga. stamped) and enjoyed the pizzones out them. MAC also had the full suppressor with it. Loved both guns, but preferred shoorting the Thompson.

44Magnum on July 1, 2010 at 10:58 AM