Obamateurism of the Day

posted at 8:05 am on June 29, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

When Barack Obama went to Canada for the G-8 and G-20 summits, he went to the resort village of Hunstville, landing in Marine One. What did the President have foremost on his mind? The economy? The oil spill? The war in Afghanistan? Not exactly:

When U.S. President Barack Obama stepped off his helicopter in Huntsville on Friday, the first thing he said was, “You’ve got a lot of golf courses here, don’t you?” Industry Minister Tony Clement told the National Post in an exclusive interview.

“I told him, ‘We would really recommend and love it if you could come back here with Michelle and the kids at some point — we think you’d really love it here,’” Minister Clement said on the sidewalk of Huntsville’s Main Street, in his home riding. “I think I’ve planted a seed in the President’s mind.”

Actually, it’s been planted there a long time, as The Hill pointed out over the weekend:

But he has come under criticism from Republicans — and some in the media — for playing the country-club sport while millions of gallons of oil spew into the Gulf of Mexico.

Obama has played at least seven times since the Deepwater Horizon drilling rig exploded on April 20, according to a compilation of media reports. He has reportedly golfed a total of 39 times since his inauguration, though some rounds came during vacations.

“Very seldom do people look at a president golfing with admiring eyes,” said Douglas Brinkley, a presidential historian at Rice University. “Like [Sen.] John Kerry [D-Mass.] with windsurfing and Obama with golfing, there’s a feeling that it is an Ivy League, country-club activity.”

Heck, even among the country-club set, they usually don’t make scouting locations their first priority on business trips.

Comments

Nothing else he does is up to par.

Daggett on June 29, 2010 at 8:08 AM

Coming soon: “The President plays sad golf at night.”

apostic on June 29, 2010 at 8:10 AM

Again with the golf? I’m wondering if we didn’t actually elect Don “No Soul” Simmons.

SagebrushPuppet on June 29, 2010 at 8:12 AM

What I want to know is if he cheats at golf like Clinton did and are we paying for all those rounds?

flytier on June 29, 2010 at 8:13 AM

Can’t I just golf?

cmsinaz on June 29, 2010 at 8:14 AM

flytier on June 29, 2010 at 8:13 AM

I’m sure he only plays with people who let him win.

Disturb the Universe on June 29, 2010 at 8:16 AM

This self righteous, sputtering, excuse making, never done a days work in his life, man child makes the Royals of Britain seem like a couple of chaps from Yorkshire who came into some money but chose to keep working and serving their country .

borntoraisehogs on June 29, 2010 at 8:16 AM

If he’d stop doing anything else, I would be fine if he just golfed the next couple of years.

Caper29 on June 29, 2010 at 8:17 AM

I don’t know why people would begrudge him if he played golf, an “Ivy League” sport. After all, wasn’t that his appeal to the uninformed? He had gone to Harvard and was sooooo intelligent and debonair, unlike Bush.

Just like everything else he does, he believes he DESERVES it. We were WAITING for him to rule. Why should we little people begrudge him “his” time?

manateespirit on June 29, 2010 at 8:19 AM

Caper29 on June 29, 2010 at 8:17 AM

I second.

DrMagnolias on June 29, 2010 at 8:20 AM

Actually I see what Obama said as he way of thumbing is nose at everyone. He knows he’s taking a beating in the press about all the golf he’s playing…and he just doesn’t give a damn.

KrisinNE on June 29, 2010 at 8:20 AM

It’s gotta be tough to fit that huge ego into a golf cart and still have room for someone else.

search4truth on June 29, 2010 at 8:20 AM

The more comfortable he gets as Prez, the cooler he will be, the more he will chill out.

Paul-Cincy on June 29, 2010 at 8:21 AM

One of his esteemed staff should tell him a Job comes with the Position.

TimBuk3 on June 29, 2010 at 8:21 AM

Given Zero’s obvious dearth of golfing skills the most he’s doing is knocking on something white all day. Which pretty much sums up Zero’s entire political career.

viking01 on June 29, 2010 at 8:22 AM

Am I allowed to call him the “Bogey Man”? Or is it DOUBLE BOGEY MAN? Anyone know what scores he posts?

Jarhead68 on June 29, 2010 at 8:22 AM

Oh, heck, I’ve been calling him Obumble for almost 2 years now. Maybe it’s time for a change, in light of all the golf…how about Obogey???

Jarhead68 on June 29, 2010 at 8:23 AM

Permanent Vacation?/

ted c on June 29, 2010 at 8:23 AM

And I thought he said his attention was focused on the gulf.

itsnotaboutme on June 29, 2010 at 8:25 AM

flytier on June 29, 2010 at 8:13 AM

I think someone has gotten him to understand what Clinton never did. If you do not play by the rules, no mulligans, improving lies,no strokes for lost balls, and no foot wedges,no picking up and throwing it out of the sand, it is pointless and embarrassing to be caught pretending to keep a score . You know he is off the tee and putts first every hole , you just know that .

borntoraisehogs on June 29, 2010 at 8:26 AM

He should be impeached for something ?? can we count the ways …

wheels on June 29, 2010 at 8:28 AM

Stroke and Campaign.

LibTired on June 29, 2010 at 8:33 AM

Who sees approval ratings in the 30′s by summer’s end? The Gulf. Golf. The economy. Jobs. The deficit. Tax increases. Broken promises. Heck, shattered promises.

When I visualize the 45% approval rating, I picture one of those cartoon cars on the edge of a cliff. One little breeze and it’s going to plummet.

Grace_is_sufficient on June 29, 2010 at 8:33 AM

If he would golf with Rush, everyone would leave him alone.

ladyingray on June 29, 2010 at 8:34 AM

The Obama Administration: this is what we get when “smart people” with no common sense and no visceral connection to the average American are allowed to run the federal government.

WordsMatter on June 29, 2010 at 8:36 AM

Now it can be told, Obama’s primary goal by the end of his first term in office: The coveted PGA card.

WordsMatter on June 29, 2010 at 8:38 AM

Dear Leader versus Dear Leader, a record 36 holes in one were scored! The game was called a tie with both egos being carted off on the shoulders of an admiring press corps.

hip shot on June 29, 2010 at 8:39 AM

And everyone said the One had no “balls”.

donh525 on June 29, 2010 at 8:42 AM

KrisinNE on June 29, 2010 at 8:20 AM

Exactly! This wise-arse remark is all part of the audacity trademark that he has cultivated as a marketing brand.

onlineanalyst on June 29, 2010 at 8:44 AM

And I thought he said his attention was focused on the gulf.

itsnotaboutme on June 29, 2010 at 8:25 A

Obama: “Gulf coast? I thought Jindel said golf course.”

donh525 on June 29, 2010 at 8:46 AM

OJ, Tiger Woods, The One…a bad element of the minority community..Is this why they didn’t used to allow blacks in Country Clubs?

IlikedAUH2O on June 29, 2010 at 8:50 AM

Obama, insisting on getting in his round of golf while the gulf crisis continues, and yes, our soldiers are dieing in his touchy-feely war strategy, has the perfect media distraction—Joe “smart-ass” Biden

Rovin on June 29, 2010 at 8:50 AM

Look at it this way. If your choices were a round of golf or hanging around the house with Michelle which would YOU do?

Aviator on June 29, 2010 at 8:53 AM

BO voted “present” in the Illinois legislature and in the US Senate , now as POTUS he just plays through…

…and some are surprised?

jbh45 on June 29, 2010 at 8:53 AM

I’m praying for our President.

WordsMatter on June 29, 2010

Love it! Thanks for the chuckle.

manateespirit on June 29, 2010 at 8:56 AM

Actually, Øbummer thought he was in Huntsville, AL rather than Huntsville, Ont. and mistook the resort as part of the Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail. That was a perfectly understandable mistake! I wonder who his golfing partners are? Is it the same cadre of policy and golf wonks that spend time at the White House brushing up on course strategy with the Tiger Woods PGA Tour game?
The liberal left actually brought this down on Øbummer by criticizing President Bush for every single little thing that he did for eight years. The Chuck Schumers and Barack Obamas of the liberal left that led the incessant criticism of Bush are reaping what they sowed. I hope the harvest is bitter, coarse, and tasteless.

ExpressoBold on June 29, 2010 at 9:02 AM

It’s all about the perks of the Presidency. I’ve always found it so ironic that those spouting Marxist tenets and “equality” are those who most want the perks of the upper class—Ivy League educations, fancy vacations, private chefs, etc. They hope to get it from “thee”.

texabama on June 29, 2010 at 9:05 AM

The MSM will grant the Big O a Mulligan on this one, too.

TimBuk3 on June 29, 2010 at 9:10 AM

Obama has all of his czars to do the work that he should be doing. He is just the figurehead of power. Why not play golf? He doesn’t have anything else to do except look good. This is such a great gig for him. Lots of money to spread around and no one to stop him.

BetseyRoss on June 29, 2010 at 9:26 AM

Caper29 on June 29, 2010 at 8:17 AM

I waver between that and hoping he’ll get to work full-time campaigning for Democrats.

mr.blacksheep on June 29, 2010 at 9:27 AM

Nothing else he does is up to par.

Daggett on June 29, 2010 at 8:08 AM

Wrong! He’s quite a putz.

Shy Guy on June 29, 2010 at 9:34 AM

Do it Pinnochio do the American people a favor and Just Do It!

Minister Clement you like him, you keep him we’ll trade him for….. well hell you can have him for free!
Hes’ a dandy, hasn’t done a dam thing for us so hardly used at all practically brand new, clean and articulate.
If you want Bite-Me we’ll throw him and Peelosi in too!

dhunter on June 29, 2010 at 9:36 AM

I was sitting in a public place yesterday in looney left Portland and next to me was this older lady and we struck up a conversation. Being a conservative in a very strange land I am cautious about strangers and conversation. Well, this woman went off on a 30 minute anti Obama rant.
My point is that if random conversations in this looney haven are trending toward the negative for the golfer in chief, there is hope and the man child is in serious trouble.

ORconservative on June 29, 2010 at 9:42 AM

ORconservative on June 29, 2010 at 9:42 AM

Yea well, Piss Matthews and Kieth Olberman ranted too but all three will still vote for their Lyin, Anti-American Messiah!

dhunter on June 29, 2010 at 9:56 AM

You must view every aspect of this President’s behavior as a manifestation of avoidance.

Then you must ask, what must be the desires, plans, goals of a man whose predominant mode of interaction with other people is to avoid?

Many hypotheses suggest themselves.

Such a man might be hiding incompetence.

He might be deflecting attention away from himself because he’s up to something morally evil.

He might just plain not like most of the people around him.

Lots of hypotheses to explore. Or is it a mixture?

jeff_from_mpls on June 29, 2010 at 9:58 AM

Dear leader doesn’t give a ratz azz about the gulf, people, environment or animals. He sees this as a political gift to help him impose his agenda and doesn’t really want it to stop. Same thing with the border.

Kissmygrits on June 29, 2010 at 10:02 AM

Just puttering around everywhere he goes.

Industry Minister Clement should invite him to a round of golf for the second anniversary of his inauguration. If it snows, call it a shovel-ready stimulus project.

Steve Z on June 29, 2010 at 10:13 AM

The photo of the bowing Obama used for the Obamateurism of the Day should have a putter in his hands.

Steve Z on June 29, 2010 at 10:15 AM

Can’t I just finish my golf game?

chemman on June 29, 2010 at 10:18 AM

The first time I saw this, I thought it was Huntsville, AL. I thought it would be great if the Pres would bring his kids to one of the States effected by the oil spill and spend dollars there.

As a reminder; on Father’s day, Obama got away from the wife and kids to play golf. Tony Hayward on Father’s day spent the day with his son on a sport they sponsor a team for.

barnone on June 29, 2010 at 10:24 AM

PLUG THE DAMN HOLE MR. PRESIDENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

griv on June 29, 2010 at 10:37 AM

Let them eat cake!

jukin on June 29, 2010 at 10:56 AM

IMPEACH THE IMPOSTER!

dhunter on June 29, 2010 at 11:14 AM

Like someone said, he’s thumbed his nose at the citizens of this country and could care less what they think about him playing golf. In fact, he could care less what they think about his agenda, either. I think he could care less what his polls show or whether he gets re-elected or not.

scalleywag on June 29, 2010 at 11:40 AM

We would do well to remember the rule that is supposed to guide Doctors:

First, do no harm.

If the Golfer in Chief were to play every day plus go to the range and spend a half hour on the putting green, I’m convinced he would have less time on his hands to cause harm. So, please, Barry, go forth and golf. Make it your goal to see your handicap fall just as much each quarter as the GDP misses it’s targeted growth.

By the end of your term, you might just be a scratch golfer.

EconomicNeocon on June 29, 2010 at 11:55 AM

Can’t a brother get a mulligan?

mrt721 on June 29, 2010 at 1:14 PM

I bet everyone else at the G20 was hoping he would go golfing.

meMC on June 29, 2010 at 1:36 PM

He doesn’t care what any of us has to say about his behavior as long as his game plan is on track and so far, it seems to be because people keep getting high-centerewd on trivialities. This individual is the biggest threat we have ever had to deal with;his concerns are only with his goal. The people in this country had better wake up and get a real education and I don’t mean a college degree which is meaningless in light of the real war we have at hand. I offer these links as a start:

LarryG on June 29, 2010 at 2:19 PM