Videos: CustardGate?

posted at 2:20 pm on June 28, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

When politicians go out and press the flesh with the hoi polloi, they usually intend to get media coverage that paints them as a down-to-earth people, just like their constituents. Instead, Joe Biden wound up making himself look like a jerk when a local business manager teased him about high taxes, leading the Vice President to lecture Scott Borkin about being a “smartass all the time.” Unfortunately for Biden, this moment got captured on videotape:

Unsurprisingly, Fox News decided to follow up with Borkin this morning, who pronounced himself shocked by Biden’s reaction to his joke:

The manager of a Milwaukee custard shop who was scolded by Vice President Biden said he was shocked to hear the No. 2 guy in the country call him a “smartass.”

The exchange was caught by a local television station while Scott Borkin, manager of Kopp’s Frozen Custard, was showing the vice president around Friday. Borkin had made a crack about taxes when the vice president appeared to snap at him.

“I was just joking around,” Borkin told Fox News on Monday. “It was kind of shocking to hear that come out of his mouth.”

Besides having a consistent lack of humor about itself, this White House also seems to have an obsession with the word “ass,” doesn’t it? It also shows that they don’t particularly care to listen to dissenting opinions, even when they go out on the road to meet with everyday average Americans to shore up their sliding popularity. At least Barack Obama treated Joe the Plumber politely and attempted to engage him, rather than call him a name and tell him to shut up.

That, of course, recalls thelast time Sergeant Smartass had a voter-engagement exercise blow up in his face, when he ran for President in 1988′s Democratic primaries:

We won’t be fortunate enough to get Biden to drop out of the VP slot, but this proves that nothing much has changed in 22 years. Sergeant Smartass is still an arrogant jackass.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

My first job back in high school was at Kopp’s.
That wasn’t the owner he was talking with, just a manager.
Karl Kopp was a mean ole cuss and would of smacked Joe upside his big goofy melon head.

Sefton on June 28, 2010 at 3:47 PM

Jun 28, 2010 11:40 AM EDT:
GE CEO collapses during Biden speech.

Plugs connects with his audience.

pain train on June 28, 2010 at 3:48 PM

After giving BiteMe a Soupy Sales style custard facial, I would have informed Vice President MobCapo-wannabe, that since it’s my shop – I get to be the smartass, and you get to leave if you don’t like it.

Free enterprise at work.

ontherocks on June 28, 2010 at 3:50 PM

Had Cheney said something like that to a regular citizen, MSNBC would have called it a hate crime.

Sugar Land on June 28, 2010 at 3:51 PM

this is all the more reason to confront the left. Thin skinned, men of extraordinarily weak character prone to outbursts and fits of crying—dismissive of the peasantry and invalidating their arguments out of hand without directly engaging them on the merits. Looks clinical if you ask me..

ted c on June 28, 2010 at 3:40 PM

This may very well be the most articulate description of a liberal I have ever read.

BruthaMan on June 28, 2010 at 3:52 PM

Too hard for this administration.

maverick muse on June 28, 2010 at 2:34 PM

Both the Obamas and the Bidens are known for their tightwadness.

The Obamas’ charity donation was in the hundreds till he decided to go for the IL Sen seat. The Bidens last year still only donated in the low thousands (I think 3 thousands or so). For the Bidens, showing up at fundraiser event is their charity donation.

Sir Napsalot on June 28, 2010 at 3:57 PM

His mother obviously never taught him basic manners, or he was too dumb to learn.

txmomof6 on June 28, 2010 at 4:00 PM

Free enterprise at work.

ontherocks on June 28, 2010 at 3:50 PM

Hahaha, now that is funny.

scalleywag on June 28, 2010 at 4:19 PM

I don’t understand why either the potus or his vp wouldn’t be gracious enough to pull out big bills in these working class joints, never ask how much they owe, and simply say to keep the change. How hard can that be? Too hard for this administration.

maverick muse on June 28, 2010 at 2:34 PM

MEMO:

Obama/Biden to IRS: I/we tipped said establishment. Ensure you audit said individual to make sure he/she filed stated income on the Income Tax Return.

PS: Don’t forget to add penalties and interest.

PrettyD_Vicious on June 28, 2010 at 4:22 PM

Joe BiteMe.

Akzed on June 28, 2010 at 4:25 PM

Finally, an admission that taxes are not nice, from the VP himself.

AnotherOpinion on June 28, 2010 at 4:56 PM

Another version of Captain Kick-Ass- this one with Lieutenant Smart-Ass.

BKeyser on June 28, 2010 at 5:04 PM

Joe “Bite Me” Biden needs a lesson in being gracious to his host. Otherwise he should pay the bill and get the EFF out.

Kuffar on June 28, 2010 at 5:09 PM

The guy should’a told Joe to kiss his smart a**, took back the cone, and then tossed him outta there…

RalphyBoy on June 28, 2010 at 5:15 PM

Free enterprise at work.

ontherocks on June 28, 2010 at 3:50 PM

Love it…

Kuffar on June 28, 2010 at 5:15 PM

At least Barack Obama treated Joe the Plumber politely and attempted to engage him, rather than call him a name and tell him to shut up. – Ed M.

It’s true that Obama was polite to Joe the Plumber’s face, but don’t forget the Obama PR machine then unleashed their pet Praetorian Guard Dogs of War on him who promptly proceeded to give Joe the full proctological tabloid treatment, going through his garbage & smearing not only his name, but the reputations of every member of his extended family.

I think I’d much rather be called a smart-ass. Heck, I think I’d rather get smacked & put in a headlock.

At least Biden & Etheridge are men enough to commit their own aggression against all these poor unsuspecting citizens who make the mistake of daring to ask questions – even joking ones – of their arrogant rulers.

Obama’s always a passive little wimp to his questioners’ faces, then turns around & invites his fawning minions in the press to beat ‘em up in print for him!

leilani on June 28, 2010 at 5:44 PM

“Everything’s bottoms with you, isn’t it?”

Basil Fawlty

KGB on June 28, 2010 at 5:45 PM

If wanting lower taxes makes someone a “smartass”, maybe we should call the Tea Party the Smartass Party, as a contrast to the Dumbass Party.

Steve Z on June 28, 2010 at 6:03 PM

Looks clinical if you ask me..

ted c on June 28, 2010 at 3:40 PM

Right on target. Seems just like Narutoboy.

CWforFreedom on June 28, 2010 at 6:15 PM

Hey, good thing this video wasn’t made in MD. Good for 5 plus years in the pen; ask a motorcycle rider who was wearing a helmet camera when stopped by the police and will be prosecuted by a Republican prosecutor. He is being helped by the ACLU.

amr on June 28, 2010 at 6:34 PM

Captain Kickass meets Sergeant Smartass.

lol, Ed, you gave me a belly laugh.

hawkdriver on June 28, 2010 at 6:35 PM

The New Wonder Twins

opusrex on June 28, 2010 at 6:39 PM

Custard gas.

rogerb on June 28, 2010 at 7:15 PM

Custard gaffes.

rogerb on June 28, 2010 at 7:16 PM

Do read the rest at the link. :-)

Mary in LA on June 28, 2010 at 7:26 PM

Mr. Borkin should have asked the Secret Service to remove the trespasser lest he be removed forcibly.

viking01 on June 28, 2010 at 7:32 PM

Just goes to show how videotape can lie once it’s been edited. On the video I saw last night, the manager makes that comment about “just lower my taxes,” and Biden is shown later telling the manager to be nice instead of a smart-ass. Then the video shows the manager laughing about the whole thing like it was no big deal, and saying he enjoyed the banter with Biden.

So I was thinking that it must not have been as bad as it looked on video, because the manager didn’t seem to take Biden’s comment as an insult.

But it’s pretty clear that the manager’s comment and Biden’s response were at two entirely different times, so it appears that the interview with the manager where he was laughing about what Biden had said came before the crack about not being a smart-ass.

Which means that Biden’s crack was every bit as bad as it first appeared, and the video was just edited in such a way as to obscure that.

I’m not even sure it was intentional. The video may have been edited that way to put Biden’s response closer to the original comment. But it sure did leave a misleading impression.

I guess Biden took that remark very seriously after all. I would have thought, “Lower my taxes and we’ll call it even,” was intended as a light-hearted comment, but Biden appears to be a bit sensitive on the subject.

tom on June 28, 2010 at 8:25 PM

One missed opportunity to toss the bum out.

TexasDan on June 28, 2010 at 8:27 PM

So Vice President Biden is a graceless, arrogant dolt. Who would have guessed!

ProfessorMiao on June 28, 2010 at 8:48 PM

Stand up Chuck did you hear me smart ass i said stand up Chuck.The Prez a man with the brain of a spoiled child.the VP a man with Jello for a brain.The country screwed.

thmcbb on June 28, 2010 at 8:53 PM

Had Joe Plugs said that to me I would have grabbed him by the scruff of the neck and seat of the pants and gave him the bums rush out the door!

grapeknutz on June 28, 2010 at 8:54 PM

Who’s video was that Tom? Maybe there’s another video that’s uncut – might be an interesting contrast.

drunyan8315 on June 28, 2010 at 9:20 PM

Joe Biteme

griv on June 28, 2010 at 9:24 PM

Shocked to hear that come out of biden?? No surprise here.

ohiobabe on June 28, 2010 at 9:27 PM

Whassamada , Groucho ??? I thought you had a sense of humor !!!

F** off Joe just F** right off . God am I sick of these elitist cretins, effing hypocrites all of them !

cableguy615 on June 28, 2010 at 9:29 PM

Wonder what Kopp’s was like over the weekend?

Betcha they got a big boost in sales!

I love Kopp’s and I’d buy from that smartass any day of the week!

missl on June 28, 2010 at 9:54 PM

People ought to dog this moronic blowhard. He’d be so easy to bait into a confrontation.

james23 on June 28, 2010 at 10:30 PM

Biden makes Palin look good.

People really don’t miss the point.

AnninCA on June 28, 2010 at 11:00 PM

drunyan8315 on June 28, 2010 at 9:20 PM

It was the video posted last night on the Quotes of the Day. It was not uncut. There were clearly 3 separate clips. They just showed the clips as

1) Manager to Biden: The cone is on the house. Just lower my taxes and we’ll call it even
2) Biden to manager: Don’t be a smart-ass
3) Manager to reporter: Sure, I enjoyed the banter with Biden

Problem is, it happened more like 1, 3, 2. Which made it look really weird when the manager said he enjoyed talking to Biden right after they showed Biden telling him not to be a smart-ass.

I guess they were trying to show a narrative. But the real narrative was more like: ordinary citizen tries to kid with vice-president, thinks at first they’re just having fun and he’s a great guy, tells reporter he enjoyed talking to him, then VP comes back and tells ordinary guy to stop being a smart-ass.

tom on June 28, 2010 at 11:17 PM

so people who want less taxes are smart-asses?

Jewels on June 29, 2010 at 12:20 AM

Biden needs a beanie with a propeller. We need Obama buttons!

I carry tapes of MM’s book Culture of Corruption in my car. Better yet, some beautiful woman I know has the book. The book! For those of you who don’t know, Beanie Biden has a section and probably deserves two.

I was talking about this when a friend said that Biden would look at either me or the lady and decide that a debate would likely not go well. Apparently the politicians (and lefty media) look for inarticulate fodder for interaction. Then they do as they like — with it sometimes backfiring a bit at that.

So righties with a good, long political background and/or six or more letters after your names, carry a dumb outfit and lie in wait. No room in your car? Why, an Obama button will do.

IlikedAUH2O on June 29, 2010 at 1:34 AM

You know, laying hands on the VP might have some very negative consequences, but if I were the guy in the video, I’d have probably at least told Plugs to go f*** himself after that quip.

Good Solid B-Plus on June 29, 2010 at 1:38 AM

T H I S

I S

A

B I G

F V C K I N G

D E A L.

hillbillyjim on June 29, 2010 at 5:08 AM

The New Wonder Twins

opusrex on June 28, 2010 at 6:39 PM

PERFECT!

cmsinaz on June 29, 2010 at 6:53 AM

Why didn’t we dig videos like this up during the 08 elections? Are we afraid to run aggressive campaigns?

Biden says we’re smart asses. I think we’re dumb asses.

hawkdriver on June 29, 2010 at 7:50 AM

If only Slow Joe had said it in Brooklyn or da Bronx.

“AAAAY! Ya’ talkin’ to ME ?? I said ARE YA TALKIN’ TO ME ????”

Followed shortly thereafter by Secret Service attempting to untangle a bruised and dazed Slow Joe from an offended shop manager.

viking01 on June 29, 2010 at 8:06 AM

Digusting hubris. I’ve had enough of the steaming pile of arrogance that is the Obama gang.

I pray our next president is religious/spiritual. It keeps a person humble. Without it, it’s too easy for a powerful person to believe they ARE better than the serfs who elected them.

Also, it puts things in perspective. Eternity is the only “big ******* deal”, Joe Biden. Compared to it, your life is a blip–even if you are vice-president for four incompetent years.

Grace_is_sufficient on June 29, 2010 at 8:26 AM

Captain Kickass meets Sergeant Smartass.

Nah, I’d recognize that guy anywhere – he’s only the vice captain kickass.

katablog.com on June 29, 2010 at 9:03 AM

When Biden made his crack, the guy should have chuckled, then said:

“Well sir, since you asked, that’ll be #13 Trillion dollars.”

catmman on June 29, 2010 at 10:11 AM

If we elected fools like this to treat us the way they do….shame on us.

NEVER AGAIN.

We the People

ted c on June 29, 2010 at 11:57 AM

The New Wonder Twins

opusrex on June 28, 2010 at 6:39 PM

PERFECT!

cmsinaz on June 29, 2010 at 6:53 AM

Thanks! Your original statement was just too good to not use, but I had to shorten it for the motivation template.

opusrex on June 29, 2010 at 12:27 PM

“When Biden made his crack, the guy should have chuckled, then said:

“Well sir, since you asked, that’ll be #13 Trillion dollars.”

catmman on June 29, 2010 at 10:11 AM”

———————

Me: “That’ll be $50, Mr. Vice-President”

Plugs: “That’s kind of high isn’t it?”

Me: “Asshole tax. Now get the f*** out of my establishment.”

cane_loader on June 29, 2010 at 12:37 PM

If we elected fools like this to treat us the way they do….shame on us.

NEVER AGAIN.

We the People

ted c on June 29, 2010 at 11:57 AM

It seems I see many posts like this on HA. While I agree with ted c on the sentiments and understand that elections have consequences my first reactions to reading such comments are visceral because I never voted for the bum so whenever I see “WE ELECTED” in such comments I feel compelled to respond with:

We? Do you have a mouse in your pocket? I ask because I didn’t vote for the Empty Suit Obama. I didn’t vote for THE ONE because I have at least one functioning synapse that provided enough brainpower to know Obama was all flash and no substance!

I wasn’t duped into voting for an American Idol and understood I was voting for a president, someone with true leadership ability and not a Celebrity-N-Chief! I didn’t vote for THE ONE because I can tell SHITTE FROM SHINOLA!

Now for those of you that did vote for Obama all I can say is please try to refrain from saying “WE” and “VOTED” together and instead may I suggest “THOSE THAT VOTED FOR” as it is more appropriate and less offensive to those of us that have the intellect to discern substance from BS!

Also, for those that did vote for THE ONE I have some bridges and swampland waterfront property for sale…please contact me as I could use the money!

Liberty or Death on June 29, 2010 at 12:56 PM

hmm Bite Me comes to mind. The guy is running a small business. I think it was a legitimate request after all Mr Custard is paying Mr Bite Me’s salary!!!

sonnyspats1 on June 29, 2010 at 2:47 PM

Mean Mr, Custard!!! lol

sonnyspats1 on June 29, 2010 at 2:47 PM

Will the suffix “Gate” ever die? Cripes, I was about 11 yo when the original “Gate” happened and quite frankly I’m pretty tired of it.

MJBrutus on June 29, 2010 at 7:26 PM

Liberty or Death on June 29, 2010 at 12:56 PM

Whether you voted for him or not (and I sure as $hit didn’t either) the fact is that we the American people did elect him.

MJBrutus on June 29, 2010 at 7:29 PM