Robert Byrd, RIP

posted at 8:48 am on June 28, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

The longest serving Senator in history has passed away overnight.  Robert Byrd (D-WV), a controversial figure and third in the line of succession in the current government, died at the age of 92 after a final hospitalization yesterday:

The Senate has lost one of its legends with the death of Robert C. Byrd, an orphan child who married a coal miner’s daughter and rose from the hollows of West Virginia coal country to become the longest serving senator in U.S. history.

He died around 3 a.m. Monday morning after being admitted to the hospital last week for dehydration, yet his condition worsened over the weekend and he became critically ill. Byrd was 92. …

It’s not a stretch to say Byrd wrote the book on the U.S. Senate — he authored a four-volume history of the upper chamber — which is why so many of his younger, more energetic colleagues continued to defer to him when it came to Senate rules and procedures.

Byrd had been hospitalized on and off over the past two years, including an extended hospitalization back in March. He was rarely seen in the Senate in recent months, yet he made it to several key floor votes over the past year.

The timing of Byrd’s death creates the need for a special election, as Nate Silver explained before Byrd passed away:

Byrd’s current term expires on January 3, 2013. Under West Virginia state law on handling Senate vacancies, “if the vacancy occurs less than two years and six months before the end of the term, the Governor appoints someone to fill the unexpired term and there is no election”. Otherwise, Manchin would appoint an interim replacement, and an special election would be held in November to determine who held the seat in 2011 and 2012.

In other words, we are within a week of the threshold established by West Virginia law. If a vacancy were to be declared on July 3rd or later, there would not be an election to replace Byrd until 2012. If it were to occur earlier, there could potentially be an election later this year, although there might be some ambiguities arising from precisely when and how the vacancy were declared.

Manchin, a Democrat, reportedly wanted a shot at the seat himself when Byrd left the Senate.  That would be a difficult maneuver now, at least in terms of the interim appointment.  Had Byrd died a week later, Manchin could have appointed himself to what would have been a two-year term and hoped to ride Barack Obama’s coattails, such as they will be, into a full term in 2012.  Now the election will have to be held this year in a midterm cycle poisonous to Democrats, especially in coal country while the Senate attempts to revive cap-and-trade.

As for Byrd, his death does mark the end of an era and removes a continual flashpoint for controversy.  Byrd’s history as a KKK recruiter and the man who filibustered the Civil Rights Act was routinely cited by Republicans and excused by Democrats.  Ironically, he was the last member of the upper chamber from those days.  Byrd also attracted controversy as one of the biggest practitioners of pork-barrel politics in Congress, which endeared him to many West Virginia voters but made him the scourge of clean-government and fiscal-responsibility activists.  The media treated him with a bit of amnesia regarding the earlier portion of his career, focusing mainly on his self-described expertise on the Constitution and his work as a historian of the Senate.  Only in this past year did media reports focus on his declining health and ability to serve, as Democrats finally removed Byrd as chair of Appropriations when it became clear that he wasn’t able to keep up with the task.

Our prayers are with the Byrd family and with the people of West Virginia.

Update: ABC News reports that the law in West Virginia says that the governor has to declare the seat vacant — and Manchin could wait to do that, apparently.  We’ll see whether West Virginians will demand immediate action.  However, the longer Manchin waits, the longer Harry Reid has to have one less vote for breaking filibusters, too.  I’m guessing that little will get done this week.

Update II: John McCormack has more thoughts.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Dusty, isn’t there an argument that Section 3, Article 10-3 provides for a different process for Senators (thanks for the link and analysis, btw)>

[Jimbo3 on June 28, 2010 at 12:48 PM]

Yes, there is, as you note. Here’s where we get into which provision supercedes/overides. The Constitution requires the replacement to be filled at the next general election, which would be 2010. There’s no arguing that, I think.

So then we go to the Code. The Code provides for the how in the 3-10-3 as you note, and it notes the whole process for providing to fill the vacancy in the next General Election. But 3-10-3 process does not provide for the election to take place in 2010 because of it’s provisions.

So, 3-5-19 takes care of that. The “Except as otherwise provided in article ten of this chapter” is to be read as the provisions for filling the vacancy by the next General Election (2010), and if it does, then fine. But it doesn’t so, 2-5-19 provides it by Party nomination.

Do you see what I mean?

Dusty on June 28, 2010 at 1:46 PM

Robt Byrd = Shovel Ready Project Nows

Sweet irony indeed for the King of Pork

bobnox on June 28, 2010 at 1:47 PM

Oh, when I say 3-10-3 doesn’t provide for the election to take place in 2010, I mean to note it doesn’t for it in this particular case.

Dusty on June 28, 2010 at 1:48 PM

Special Election? Maybe– but never underestimate the craveness and ability of the Democrats to cheat.

Mr. Joe on June 28, 2010 at 1:55 PM

Very interesting take on this from you.

Cindy Munford on June 28, 2010 at 1:32 PM

TRC, once again, you’ve been misunderstood. I bet you love it!

—————

On “respecting” Byrd, or not…respect must be earned, alive or dead. Given that most all who die are “glorified”, speak your mind. Don’t wish death on anyone, other than Zarquawi adherents, but don’t hold back what you wish to comment on. Just respect the families of the dead. They were stuck with their family members.

Real men should be glorified while alive, unless they died in a noble battle.

Schadenfreude on June 28, 2010 at 2:01 PM

Also, buy lottery tickets. We can in part agree with some of Dave Rywall’s statements.

Schadenfreude on June 28, 2010 at 2:02 PM

Hell, I’ve admired men I’ve killed for the way they died. I think I can muster a bit of reserved respect for a politician than many of my fellow Americans admired.

hawkdriver on June 28, 2010 at 10:58 AM

I always like your comments. Sorry to hear that you have had to kill men. That wretched fall of man! Thank goodness that God is merciful.

shick on June 28, 2010 at 2:03 PM

hawkdriver on June 28, 2010 at 10:58 AM

I like this very much, especially from you, hawkdriver.

Hardly anyone, except commies, could respect the weasely way in which Che Guevara died (begging, begging, not to be shot, attempting to sell all for a deal with the enemy…like the leech that he was).

Schadenfreude on June 28, 2010 at 2:06 PM

Let’s not pretend that anyone here – of all places – sincerely cares that Byrd was in the KKK.

Yes, rip Senator Byrd.

Narutoboy on June 28, 2010 at 2:08 PM

Dusty, maybe I’m missing something, but I don’t think the US Constitution requires the election be held in 2010, because it allows for temporary appointments as permitted by state law:

“The Senate of the United States shall be composed of two Senators from each State, elected by the people thereof, for six years; and each Senator shall have one vote. The electors in each State shall have the qualifications requisite for electors of the most numerous branch of the State legislatures.

When vacancies happen in the representation of any State in the Senate, the executive authority of such State shall issue writs of election to fill such vacancies: Provided, That the legislature of any State may empower the executive thereof to make temporary appointments until the people fill the vacancies by election as the legislature may direct.”

I also think, unless I’ve missed something, that the W. Va State Constitution doesn’t require this to be done at the next general election.

4-7. General elections, when held — Terms of officials.

The general elections of state and county officers, and of members of the Legislature [Note: this refers to the state legislature], shall be held on the Tuesday next after the first Monday in November, until otherwise provided by law. The terms of such officers, not elected, or appointed to fill a vacancy, shall, unless herein otherwise provided, begin on the first day of January; and of the members of the Legislature, on the first day of December next succeeding their election. Elections to fill vacancies, shall be for the unexpired term. When vacancies occur prior to any general election, they shall be filled by appointments, in such manner as may be prescribed herein, or by general law, which appointments shall expire at such time after the next general election as the person so elected to fill such vacancy shall be qualified.

4-8. Further provisions regarding state’s officers and agents.

The Legislature, in cases not provided for in this constitution, shall prescribe, by general laws, the terms of office, powers, duties and compensation of all public officers and agents, and the manner in which they shall be elected, appointed and removed.”

Jimbo3 on June 28, 2010 at 2:08 PM

Robert Byrd
Monday, June 28th, 2010
So if I’m correctly reading the various tributes to Sen. Robert Byrd floating around the web this morning, I’m supposed to celebrate how the man atoned for his bigotry earlier in life by devoting the rest of his life to public service . . . where he used other people’s money to build monuments to himself.

That this could be considered a form of redemption says all you need to know about what the political class considers important.

Radley Balko.

That sums it up pretty well.

Mr. Joe on June 28, 2010 at 2:08 PM

Schadenfreude on June 28, 2010 at 2:01 PM

I don’t misunderstand him, just surprised he believes in a statue of limitations.

Cindy Munford on June 28, 2010 at 2:10 PM

Yes, rip Senator Byrd.
Narutoboy on June 28, 2010 at 2:08 PM

You don’t have to come here if you don’t like it here, LGF Flame Thrower.

kingsjester on June 28, 2010 at 2:12 PM

By the by did anybody catch the death wishes for Dick Cheney over at Wonkette? This is one of the most glaring differences between the right and the left — the right does not collectively gloat over the death of liberals, not openly at least.

The Race Card on June 28, 2010 at 1:18 PM

Very true.

Narutoboy on June 28, 2010 at 2:13 PM

Cindy, cool.

Yes, rip Senator Byrd.

Narutoboy on June 28, 2010 at 2:08 PM

Mr. Projection woke up. Morning to you.

Schadenfreude on June 28, 2010 at 2:15 PM

Very true.

Narutoboy on June 28, 2010 at 2:13 PM

This contradicts your comment of 2:08 PM.

Schadenfreude on June 28, 2010 at 2:16 PM

You don’t have to come here if you don’t like it here, LGF Flame Thrower.

kingsjester on June 28, 2010 at 2:12 PM

I do because I can.

But back to what I was saying. The talk of Byrd being in the KKK is so phony. For goodness sakes, down in what was it, Louisiana, you Southern Republicans elected one of the most notable figures in the modern Klan – David Duke.

Narutoboy on June 28, 2010 at 2:16 PM

[START NARUTOBOY]:

Shut up, wingnut Christianists! Why can’t your small racist minds comprehend that this Administration and Congress’s reversal of Bush’s failed policies has actually cut taxes for 112% of the middle class in all 57 states? I’m sure you’ll all pray to your stupid Invisible Magic Man in the Sky in your pedophile-filled churches tomorrow for rain so Obama can’t enjoy a friendly round of golf in Canada but I’ll be doing something constructive… like praying to the Flying Spaghetti Monster that Dick Cheney’s evil heart finally gives out!

[NARUTOBOY END]

ScottMcC on June 27, 2010 at 12:57 AM

This one still cracks me up!

Lanceman on June 28, 2010 at 2:17 PM

This contradicts your comment of 2:08 PM.

Schadenfreude on June 28, 2010 at 2:16 PM

No it doesn’t. My comment early was about you all not actually caring that he was in the KKK. That comment acknowledged that the right doesn’t collectively gloat over people dying. Two different things altogether.

Narutoboy on June 28, 2010 at 2:18 PM

Narutoboy on June 28, 2010 at 2:16 PM

I can fully agree with you on this one, if you could give the same leeway to the righties who saw the light.

My peeve with him was his billions of porksterism.

Schadenfreude on June 28, 2010 at 2:20 PM

Narutoboy on June 28, 2010 at 2:18 PM

There is no “all” at HA or anywhere, on any topic.

Schadenfreude on June 28, 2010 at 2:21 PM

Lanceman on June 28, 2010 at 2:17 PM

Thank you for posting this. I missesd it first time ’round.

Laura in Maryland on June 28, 2010 at 2:22 PM

Thank you for posting this. I missesd it first time ’round.

Laura in Maryland on June 28, 2010 at 2:22 PM

Worthy of beginning an HA archive on comments!

Lanceman on June 28, 2010 at 2:25 PM

[NARUTOBOY END]

He was being sarcastic…so he claims to be with anything controversial coming out of his limitless wit. Your little minds just don’t get his genius.

Schadenfreude on June 28, 2010 at 2:27 PM

Lanceman on June 28, 2010 at 2:17 PM
Thank you for posting this. I missesd it first time ’round.

Laura in Maryland on June 28, 2010 at 2:22 PM

Still makes me laugh…

ladyingray on June 28, 2010 at 2:28 PM

hawkdriver on June 28, 2010 at 10:58 AM

Damn. That is dignity.

I should say this before I fall further from your radar and it gets missed. You are one of the most instructional, informative voices at HA. I know you’re a good man by your words, even those with which I disagree.

Hell yes
, I’m pissed with you. Hell yeah, I was trying to talk some shit to call you out yesterday. (I have 40 windows open right now. Sorry, link is unavailable.)

Nothing you can say in reply will make me regret my words here. I dare you to try.

The Race Card on June 28, 2010 at 2:28 PM

Narutoboy on June 28, 2010 at 2:16 PM

He was a democratic state representative. Was unable to attain the governorship or a national office holder from either party.

Cindy Munford on June 28, 2010 at 2:30 PM

TRC, once again, you’ve been misunderstood. I bet you love it!

GTFO of my head!!!!

:arrow:

The Race Card on June 28, 2010 at 2:30 PM

Nutterbutter – Your sweeping generalizations are no different than the racisim you accuse others of. I judge others on the content of character, let me know when you get some.

Laura in Maryland on June 28, 2010 at 2:32 PM

Schadenfreude on June 28, 2010 at 2:27 PM

Erm. I didn’t make that comment.

Cindy Munford on June 28, 2010 at 2:30 PM

No. Duke failed in the Democrat party, so he switched to Republican, which Jefferson Parish elected him. He tried for governor of the state and senator and he actually did very well, winning the majority of the white vote.

Narutoboy on June 28, 2010 at 2:35 PM

good riddence robert kkk byrd. you truely were p.o.s

sidewinder22 on June 28, 2010 at 2:36 PM

you truely were p.o.s

sidewinder22 on June 28, 2010 at 2:36 PM

Pork Originating Senator?

Laura in Maryland on June 28, 2010 at 2:37 PM

[Jimbo3 on June 28, 2010 at 2:08 PM]

I understand your position. I read though these types of sentences by striping out the qualifiers to understand what is the basic provision and what are qualifiers.

I think the Governor has the right to fill the vacancy by appointment now but has to call an election for 2010. The Constitutional provision, basic, as I see it is:

The “at such time” & “as the person so elected …” qualifier merely sets it at the time the results are certified (and possibly accepted by the Senate in this case)

The “prior to any general elections” is always the case, but it realtes to the procedure to allow the filling to happen at the next general election. Thus, the “proscribed herein” and “or by general law” which attempts to lay out how to do it time-wise. The only barrier the state really set to prevent it occurring at next general election (2010) is the 84 days prior to the general election day of November 2 2010.

Your reading may be the better one; I never was an expert at diagramming sentences.

Dusty on June 28, 2010 at 2:38 PM

[START NARUTOBOY]:

[NARUTOBOY END]

ScottMcC on June 27, 2010 at 12:57 AM

Scott’s parody of Narutoboy

Schadenfreude on June 28, 2010 at 2:38 PM

Laura in Maryland on June 28, 2010 at 2:32 PM

The man who popularized that phrase would have worse things to say about you. “wedding of the KKK and the far-right” is how he once described the RNC.

Narutoboy on June 28, 2010 at 2:39 PM

[Jimbo3 on June 28, 2010 at 2:08 PM]

Can we fill the vacancy between Obowmao’s jugears?

PLUG THE DAMN HOLE!

Laura in Maryland on June 28, 2010 at 2:40 PM

Can we fill the vacancy between Obowmao’s Nutterbutter’s jugears?

PLUG THE DAMN HOLE!

Laura in Maryland on June 28, 2010 at 2:42 PM

David Duke never got as far as Robert Byrd. Not even close.
Robert Byrd filibustered against the 1964 Civil Rights Act.

kingsjester on June 28, 2010 at 2:43 PM

Narutoboy on June 28, 2010 at 2:35 PM

That’s not what Wikipedia says, I guess those rascally Republicans edited it.

Cindy Munford on June 28, 2010 at 2:43 PM

Narutoboy on June 28, 2010 at 2:39 PM

How about a link, nutterbutter?

ladyingray on June 28, 2010 at 2:49 PM

Byrd likely joined the Klan at a time when it was a political plus to join. He has also been in government for a long time and has been out of the Klan for a long time. David Duke, on other hand, still maintains his overt racist views. And his election down in Louisiana, in the Southern-Republican Party, took place in the 80s. Why is this particularly region always late on these matters? Still electing Klan members in the 80s. Ironic that they would elect David Duke around the same time that their most recent lynching occurred.

Narutoboy on June 28, 2010 at 2:53 PM

Narutoboy on June 28, 2010 at 2:39 PM

Wow. You know what he said about me? You know where I stand on all issues? You really are smart, Benny Stulwicz.

Laura in Maryland on June 28, 2010 at 2:53 PM

Narutoboy on June 28, 2010 at 2:53 PM

This isn’t a thread about David Duke,Skippy. Nor is it about the object of your hatred, the Southern United States. This thread is about the death of Sen. Robert Byrd of West Virginia and has evolved into questions about how the governor of that state will fill the vacancy. Do try to keep up.

kingsjester on June 28, 2010 at 2:59 PM

“How about a link, nutterbutter?

ladyingray on June 28, 2010 at 2:49 PM”

Why bother? Hot air members don’t care about the facts; they care about slogans. Search “HotAir.com Narutoboy MLK” and you’ll find links, sources, and more quotes.

Narutoboy on June 28, 2010 at 2:59 PM

ladyingray on June 28, 2010 at 2:49 PM

Cindy Munford on June 28, 2010 at 2:59 PM

Dusty on June 28, 2010 at 2:38 PM

–We’ll see. It’s not real clear. And so, in that case, you’d usually put alot of weight on the one provision that talks about the specific situation.

Jimbo3 on June 28, 2010 at 3:00 PM

In regard to any comparisons of the Left’s treatment of Cheney… I expect Communists and Dhimmis to hate a man who fought communism and their superiors in the Muslim world. It’s a badge of honor for him.

Let ‘em squeal about Cheney.

Will anybody be upset if The Iranians don’t put up a statue and name streets after him?

Byrd was a menace who particpated in the destruction of the country. That’s not a personal attack, it’s a fact. Of the hundreds of millions of Americans who have lived since the Revolution and the adoption of the Constitution, he is one of a handful who have openly our way of life.

mankai on June 28, 2010 at 3:00 PM

Scott’s parody of Narutoboy

Schadenfreude on June 28, 2010 at 2:38 PM

That’s no parody. That’s pretty much right on the money.

Lanceman on June 28, 2010 at 3:01 PM

“HotAir.com Narutoboy MLK” and you’ll find links, sources, and more quotes.

Narutoboy on June 28, 2010 at 2:59 PM

Lanceman on June 28, 2010 at 3:02 PM

“Duke lost in 1991 supposedly with the majority of white votes but after that election he only did worse.

Cindy Munford on June 28, 2010 at 2:59 PM”

The part you left out is how Duke won his election (in the Republican party like I said) before that.

Narutoboy on June 28, 2010 at 3:03 PM

Just ignore the N-troll. It’s clearly exempt from the rules, so it isn’t going away. The only way to avoid it is to ignore it.

Merovign on June 28, 2010 at 3:06 PM

“I’d trust Frances Rice before some little punk like you. But she’s a unca Tom, right dawg?

Lanceman on June 28, 2010 at 3:02 PM”

You’re an idiot.

You don’t have to trust me. Trust the words from his own mouth or writings. Like this one:

“We have deluded ourselves into believing the myth that capitalism grew and prospered out of the Protestant ethic of hard work and sacrifices. Capitalism was built on the exploitation of black slaves and continues to thrive on the exploitation of the poor.” – MLK Jr.

Narutoboy on June 28, 2010 at 3:07 PM

Narutoboy on June 28, 2010 at 3:07 PM

I had no idea that Senator King and Senator Duke had died. Wow, what a thread. Here I thought this one was about Byrd. Silly me.

Nutterbutter…*snicker* *giggle*

Laura in Maryland on June 28, 2010 at 3:09 PM

Narutoboy on June 28, 2010 at 3:07 PM

No, actually, you’re a moron. Why some little, downtrodden putz like you keeps coming back when nobody’s opinion is changed by you is beyond me.
Personally, I never hang around where I’m not wanted. But you are a pathetic case of mommy not providing you with any attention.

Lanceman on June 28, 2010 at 3:11 PM

Lanceman on June 28, 2010 at 3:11 PMLanceman on June 28, 2010 at 3:11 PM

Benny’s smart. He works at a law firm. If you’re in LA, stop by and help him with the mail.

Laura in Maryland on June 28, 2010 at 3:12 PM

Cindy Munford on June 28, 2010 at 2:59 PM

I was a liberal then and lived there at the time. The few conservatives I knew at the time despised Duke.

shick on June 28, 2010 at 3:13 PM

Lanceman on June 28, 2010 at 3:11 PM

I didn’t come in expecting to change the opinion of an idiot. I give out the facts and you, the uninformed, can decide whether or not you want to accept them.

Narutoboy on June 28, 2010 at 3:14 PM

Laura in Maryland on June 28, 2010 at 3:12 PM

Why did ‘Poetic Justice’ flash into my mind?

Lanceman on June 28, 2010 at 3:16 PM

shick on June 28, 2010 at 3:13 PM

He won, according to Cindy Munford’s source, 55% of the white vote.

Oh, I know. They were mostly liberals, right?

Hilarious.

Narutoboy on June 28, 2010 at 3:16 PM

Narutoboy on June 28, 2010 at 3:03 PM

He first ran for President as a Democrat, then switched to Republican party. He ran in a special election to fill the seat of a state representative that left to become a judge. He won, even though another candidate was endorsed by Pres. GHW Bush and former Pres. Reagan. The lapse of judgment was local. And why are you spouting MLK, Jr. communist leanings like they are a good thing?

Cindy Munford on June 28, 2010 at 3:17 PM

shick on June 28, 2010 at 3:13 PM

It was a special election. My guess is that few paid much attention. But that won’t stop people from beating up on the state forever.

Cindy Munford on June 28, 2010 at 3:18 PM

My guess is that few paid much attention.

Cindy Munford on June 28, 2010 at 3:18 PM

You mean like how a country as a whole could install an obviously unaccomplished fool and his ‘sidekick’ as President and Vice-President? Say it ain’t so!

Lanceman on June 28, 2010 at 3:21 PM

Cindy Munford on June 28, 2010 at 3:17 PM

They aren’t a good thing. It’s just so tiring to hear lemming Hot air members continue to spread the myth that MLK supported what they do. He didn’t. Unfortunately. That is a man who actually received the Margaret Sanger Planned Parenthood award. So stop trying to use him to prove that you’re not racists.

What you said about Duke is correct. Still don’t understand why you acted like I was wrong. Duke, obviously, never became president. He only succeeded when he became a Republican. If the Rep party didn’t wise up and prohibit his son from running, I bet the Southern voters would’ve supported him as well.

Narutoboy on June 28, 2010 at 3:22 PM

Lanceman on June 28, 2010 at 3:21 PM

Don’t make fun of Capt. KickAss and Sgt. SmartAss. They’re gonna save the world.

Laura in Maryland on June 28, 2010 at 3:26 PM

Lanceman on June 28, 2010 at 3:11 PM

Not only that, his mommy must be tired of having to go into his room to get her dresses back…

lovingmyUSA on June 28, 2010 at 3:27 PM

I bet the Southern voters would’ve supported him as well.

Narutoboy on June 28, 2010 at 3:22 PM

Yeah, those stoopit southern, racist voters will vote for anyone…including an inexperienced Marxist, just because he’s half white.

Laura in Maryland on June 28, 2010 at 3:28 PM

lovingmyUSA on June 28, 2010 at 3:27 PM

*shudders*

Laura in Maryland on June 28, 2010 at 3:29 PM

Laura in Maryland on June 28, 2010 at 3:28 PM

You get it right sometimes. Bobby Jindal comes to mind. And I think Newt Gingrich is from Georgia. Not sure on that.

Narutoboy on June 28, 2010 at 3:32 PM

Narutoboy on June 28, 2010 at 3:32 PM

Too bad you can’t even get it right–once! Oh and your sister wants her underwear back…

lovingmyUSA on June 28, 2010 at 3:35 PM

Narutoboy on June 28, 2010 at 3:22 PM

Everyone white doesn’t quote MLK, Jr. whether their racists or not. His standard of equality maybe cliched but it’s not wrong. As for Mr. Duke’s election win, I knew only of his national attempts, nothing about the LA state legislature. He still refers to himself as Rep. Duke. I remember the thread about Jihad Jane where you made a strong point about profiling and yet you do it here everyday. Do you think you are “teaching” people a lesson?

Cindy Munford on June 28, 2010 at 3:36 PM

lovingmyUSA on June 28, 2010 at 3:35 PM

Wow, you’re a regular comedian, aren’t you? Take off the clown nose and start doing stand up. I bet your mentor will be Michael Richards. “Look-there’s a N….!”

Narutoboy on June 28, 2010 at 3:37 PM

Lanceman on June 28, 2010 at 3:21 PM

Nope, not anything like that. Let me just pi$$ off NB more by stating that the current president is nothing more then a massive assuaging of national guilt and the manipulation of our financial system.

Cindy Munford on June 28, 2010 at 3:39 PM

Narutoboy on June 28, 2010 at 3:14 PM

You didn’t give me any facts. You gave me what you said were facts and refused to prove them as such.

ladyingray on June 28, 2010 at 3:42 PM

Once again NB has managed to make a thread about himself. I can’t believe I fell for it. Sorry folks.

Cindy Munford on June 28, 2010 at 3:42 PM

Cindy Munford on June 28, 2010 at 3:36 PM

Like with Byrd, no Hot Air members quotes MLK unless to combat something a liberal says. Hot Air members only cite these two when they need to score some political points.

Well it’s hard to not do that when I’m continuously proven right.

Narutoboy on June 28, 2010 at 3:42 PM

the manipulation of our financial system.

Cindy Munford on June 28, 2010 at 3:39 PM

???

Narutoboy on June 28, 2010 at 3:44 PM

Narutoboy on June 28, 2010 at 3:44 PM

Hey Benny, Harry Hamlin and Susan Day have been waiting on their files since lunch. You better get back to work.

Laura in Maryland on June 28, 2010 at 3:47 PM

Cindy Munford on June 28, 2010 at 3:39 PM

What did that cost us?
Was it worth it?

Lanceman on June 28, 2010 at 3:49 PM

Narutoboy on June 28, 2010 at 3:44 PM

The fiasco before the election that lead to TARP. Total B.S.!

Cindy Munford on June 28, 2010 at 3:50 PM

Lanceman on June 28, 2010 at 3:49 PM

I hope you don’t think I contributed to it! Oh he!! no, it wasn’t worth. Based on inexperience alone our current president had disaster written all over him.

Cindy Munford on June 28, 2010 at 3:51 PM

The fiasco before the election that lead to TARP. Total B.S.!

Cindy Munford on June 28, 2010 at 3:50 PM

I don’t see how everything starts coming apart two days after all of the polls show that McCain and Palin had taken the lead.

Narutoboy on June 28, 2010 at 3:52 PM

Well it’s hard to not do that when I’m continuously proven right.

Narutoboy on June 28, 2010 at 3:42 PM

You are never right. There are few people here who are as you paint them. But keep it up, you have no self control or logic arguments and you’ll step on your cra…self before it’s all over.

Cindy Munford on June 28, 2010 at 3:53 PM

And I don’t think guilt had anything to do with it. Most people were genuinely happy to be apart of making history. The media was there to push that narrative.

Narutoboy on June 28, 2010 at 3:54 PM

Narutoboy on June 28, 2010 at 3:54 PM

If guilt had nothing to do with it, then what was this “history” that everyone was so happy to be a part of?

Electing the least qualified president in history?

Laura in Maryland on June 28, 2010 at 3:56 PM

Narutoboy on June 28, 2010 at 3:56 PM

And there you go again, painting an entire group with the missteps on one member. When a white person does it, it is racism, when a lib does it, it is inciteful. What a lovely double standard you have.

Laura in Maryland on June 28, 2010 at 4:02 PM

Narutoboy on June 28, 2010 at 3:56 PM
Yeah. That’s the same girl you’ve been chasing around for months with the same comment. Nobody cares what you have to say. How obvious does it have to be?

Lanceman on June 28, 2010 at 4:02 PM

NutterButter – she’s just not that into you. Maybe you might might meet your perfect match at LGF.

Laura in Maryland on June 28, 2010 at 4:06 PM

Narutoboy on June 28, 2010 at 3:56 PM

I saw it. How do you paint everyone with that brush?

Cindy Munford on June 28, 2010 at 4:07 PM

Hey Narutoboy, tell us again how respected LGF is so that people can stop poking you with a stick like the monkey you are.

MadisonConservative on June 28, 2010 at 4:07 PM

He won, according to Cindy Munford’s source, 55% of the white vote.

Oh, I know. They were mostly liberals, right?

Hilarious.

Narutoboy on June 28, 2010 at 3:16 PM

You’re taking a leap in logic there, not me. I was merely pointing out that the few conservatives I new (12 max) hated Duke.

I remember the local media (liberal) asking some locals why they would vote for Duke and the reasons had nothing to do with racism but were based on ignorance. The money quote I’ll never forget was, “Well he’s surely the more attractive candidate.”

I also remember Duke’s opponent whom the liberal media reminded its viewers that he was corrupt. Lousiana didn’t have many options at the time and for what I understood of LA history it’s voters ALWAYS had to choose the lesser of two evils.

shick on June 28, 2010 at 4:10 PM

Laura in Maryland on June 28, 2010 at 4:02 PM

Apparently it’s an acceptable term around these parts. When the comment was originally made, nobody said anything about out. But say something about Southerners and you have about 20 people on you. Selective outrage.

Narutoboy on June 28, 2010 at 4:12 PM

Boring troll is boring.

Folks, if we didn’t feed it, it would go away…

Mary in LA on June 28, 2010 at 4:14 PM

Folks, if we didn’t feed it, it would go away…

Mary in LA on June 28, 2010 at 4:14 PM

Can’t get anyone to quit it.

Lanceman on June 28, 2010 at 4:15 PM

Narutoboy on June 28, 2010 at 4:12 PM

If you notice a lot of people don’t reply at all, you should take that into consideration. There are people that it’s just not worth arguing with. Like you.

Cindy Munford on June 28, 2010 at 4:16 PM

Cindy Munford on June 28, 2010 at 4:16 PM

Don’t kid yourself. If I say something, at least 10 people are going to respond. It’s my charm. :-D

Narutoboy on June 28, 2010 at 4:18 PM

Quoting myself (sorry):

Boring troll is boring.

Folks, if we didn’t feed it, it would go away…

Mary in LA on June 28, 2010 at 4:14 PM

Mary in LA on June 28, 2010 at 4:20 PM

Cindy Munford on June 28, 2010 at 3:18 PM

My impression at the time was that most didn’t pay attention.

I left upstate New York in 1991 a politically liberal but socially conservative kid and expected to meet tons of redneck, deliverance racists.

I did meet a few but the north has its share of the same with a different twist. Actually I think I’ve met more racists in NY than in LA.

I was surprised to find that most of the indigineous southerners were the most cordial, friendly and helpful I had ever met anywhere.

Narutoboy should visit the south and get to know the people there before prejudging them. But there something to be said about prejudices. They are blinders.

shick on June 28, 2010 at 4:22 PM

…the monkey you are.

MadisonConservative on June 28, 2010 at 4:07 PM

Are you trying to run for a political vacancy in Virginia? /sarcasm

shick on June 28, 2010 at 4:23 PM

It’s my charm. :-D

Narutoboy on June 28, 2010 at 4:18 PM

Funny, that’s not a characteristic I would have used to describe your behavior here.

shick on June 28, 2010 at 4:26 PM

Boring troll is boring.

Folks, if we didn’t feed it, it would go away…

Mary in LA on June 28, 2010 at 4:14 PM

Sorry. I didn’t read the sign. (Mother slaps my hand)

Where in LA? I lived briefly in Baton Rouge. I was there during Hurricane Andrew and temporarily worked as a courier for Red Cross. Man, did that storm do some damage.

shick on June 28, 2010 at 4:31 PM