Poll: What was the Obamateurism of the Week?

posted at 9:00 am on June 27, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

It’s time again to gain a consensus for the most amateurish stumble of the week by Obama.  Which will have us all a-Twitters this time?  Don’t let anyone lecture you on how to cast your vote.  Take your time, even if it takes you 10 minutes and costs a half-million dollars.  After all, taxpayers can foot the bill while you plug the damn hole on the 18th green!

Previous 2010 “winners”:

Comments

Ed, when will you commence writing an Obamateurism of the Hour column?

itsnotaboutme on June 27, 2010 at 9:03 AM

C’mon ya’ll .. you know if Bush said “Twitters” we would never hear the end of it. If I recall the “internets” line lasted a good 10 days.

Ian on June 27, 2010 at 9:04 AM

I was torn between the half a million plus speech in Ohio and the pretend vacations when I remembered the picture of Obama with podium flanked by four construction workers. If that didn’t have AMATEUR stamped on it (not to mention down right ridiculous) nothing does.

texabama on June 27, 2010 at 9:06 AM

His 7th round of golf since the Deepwater Horizon Disaster began. What a leader! /

kingsjester on June 27, 2010 at 9:12 AM

I was at a rodeo Friday night, and the announcer was cracking Obama jokes throughout the evening, and twice referred to Obama as O-bummer… The crowd cheered.

Keemo on June 27, 2010 at 9:17 AM

I’m most peeved about the endless spending for lame speechifying.

tru2tx on June 27, 2010 at 9:17 AM

nice opening paragraph ed :)

option #1 hands down…

cmsinaz on June 27, 2010 at 9:17 AM

Keemo on June 27, 2010 at 9:17 AM

heh
love it :)

cmsinaz on June 27, 2010 at 9:18 AM

it sounds like graham is going to vote for kagan…boasting about the gang of 14…

cmsinaz on June 27, 2010 at 9:18 AM

Obama said he would like to replace those red phones with twitters. Probably red twitters. In fact, I think I had lunch the other day at Twitters….or was that Hooters.

Oh well. I do know this, if you get a twitter trapped…leave it trapped!

Electrongod on June 27, 2010 at 9:20 AM

I had to voter for Twitters because he was supposed to be the cool, hip, with it candidate.

sammypants on June 27, 2010 at 9:20 AM

The golf is just such a demonstration of the amateurish arrogance of his entire administration.

How about we start voting on what the headlines would have been under the Bush Administration for similar circumstances.

Bush Works On Golf Swing as Gulf Works To Avert Catastrophe.

Bush Lives In Bubble: Is He Even Aware Of The Gulf Spill?

And The Band Played On: Gulf States Beg Federal Government For Assisitance While Bush Attends McCartney Concert.

Bush Hates Cajun People.

hawkdriver on June 27, 2010 at 9:24 AM

The 500 grand for the speech. The nation is on the verge of financial collapse and PBHO is jetting around on AF1 while average Americans are struggling to put gas in their vehicle.

Bishop on June 27, 2010 at 9:26 AM

hawkdriver on June 27, 2010 at 9:24 AM

good choices hd…

cmsinaz on June 27, 2010 at 9:26 AM

Keemo on June 27, 2010 at 9:17 AM

That’s good news!!!

yoda on June 27, 2010 at 9:30 AM

What made the golf outing so bad was having the gall to criticize the BP CEO for boating after Tony Hayward was relieved by BP’s chairman of overseeing the oil spill. Not to mention that Øbama’s golf game was one of many he played during the spill.

cartooner on June 27, 2010 at 9:31 AM

Bishop on June 27, 2010 at 9:26 AM

It was a tossup for me. At the speech he was at least doing something presidents do.

hawkdriver on June 27, 2010 at 9:31 AM

What’s a tweeters?

blatantblue on June 27, 2010 at 9:33 AM

I voted for the pretend vacations. Under his economy that’s the only kind I can afford to take.

backwoods conservative on June 27, 2010 at 9:34 AM

Pretend vacations – a helpful suggestion from a pretend President

ya2daup on June 27, 2010 at 9:40 AM

What’s a tweeters?

blatantblue on June 27, 2010 at 9:33 AM

The opposite of a Woofer.

Electrongod on June 27, 2010 at 9:42 AM

I voted for the continued golf outings. The $500K photo ops, a close second. Especially seeing him exit AF1 with his half hearted, almost “smirk-like” salute to whatever military personnel greeting him, really irks me.

bernzright777 on June 27, 2010 at 9:44 AM

I voted for the golf rounds even though it was yet another tough choice. President Kick-Ass and his sidekick Sergeant Smartass Bite-Me continue to show their disconnection with and lack of empathy for the common folk. More proof that they are arrogant elitists who think you and I are way too unsophisticated (read: stupid) to cherish their brilliance. They don’t care if their actions appear callous and pompous – that’s what they are.

The “twitters” comment was particularly bitter for the “creative class” of knowledge workers and other hipsters who elected Nobama because they thought he was one of the them. Snort.

Philly on June 27, 2010 at 9:47 AM

Malia: Are the Dutch and the Saudis cleaning up the oil yet daddy?

Speakup on June 27, 2010 at 9:50 AM

RE: Obummer on the announcement system.

I’m telling ya, it’s not just where you live. I live in MD (one of the bluest of the blues) and there are giant EHRLICH (the (R) for Governor) EVERYWHERE. If Scott Brown can win in MA and Christie in NJ, Ehrlich (a libertarian) can win in MD.

Ian on June 27, 2010 at 9:50 AM

Pretend vacations for Dads are nothing compared to having someone who is supposed to be President pretending that he knows exactly what he is doing, regardless of the cataclysmic consequences that may ensue as a result, while he spends more time concerned about his golf score.

pilamaye on June 27, 2010 at 9:52 AM

BTW Ed, the opening paragraph was very funny.

hawkdriver on June 27, 2010 at 9:56 AM

I voted for the media finaly recognizing that Obama might be an empty suit. That doesnt say as much about Obamatuerism as it does about the MSM’s blatant willingness to latch on to any liberal and build them up into something they arent.

They were willing participants into the greatest scam that anyone has ever pulled on the US. We have Obama the amatuer because we have a corrupt biased elite media that gives the Soviet era PRAVDA a run for its propaganda value.

William Amos on June 27, 2010 at 9:56 AM

The opposite of a Woofer.

Electrongod on June 27, 2010 at 9:42 AM

lol

love my tweeter speakers
its the only good thing about my econo-car

blatantblue on June 27, 2010 at 9:57 AM

William Amos on June 27, 2010 at 9:56 AM

yep

hawkdriver on June 27, 2010 at 9:58 AM

Keemo on June 27, 2010 at 9:17 AM

Can anyone account for his 45% approval rating? Are people ashamed to tell pollsters their real opinion? For the life of me, I can’t figure out how that number is so high. Everywhere I go, people are disgusted–even people who voted for him.

Anyway, I almost voted for the Father’s Day thing, but in the end, the “no longer dazzled by his rock star personality’ lured me in. ;)

Grace_is_sufficient on June 27, 2010 at 10:00 AM

Greatest? I believe you are forgetting Dubya’s planning of the 911 attack as pretext for an oil war, and Cheney using his weather machine to create hurricanes to kill black people.

Bishop on June 27, 2010 at 10:03 AM

The demcratic party has a base that is basically made up of minorites, Unions. Feminists and Eltist limo Liberals.

If you are any one of those groups and you think conservative you are immediately labeled
A) Uncle Tom or a race traitor
B) Booted from the union or having your money used for their agenda
C) Called unwomanly or berated for abandoning your sisters
D) Dont get invited to Parties.

The whole entire Democratic party is built on the basis of intimidation and racism or Misogyny.

William Amos on June 27, 2010 at 10:06 AM

Bishop on June 27, 2010 at 10:03 AM

How could I forget!

Didn’t Bush Sr. also invent AIDS?

And, correct me if I’m wrong, I do believe Dubya drinks Palestinian baby blood. He says it’s an antioxidant.

blatantblue on June 27, 2010 at 10:07 AM

Grace_is_sufficient on June 27, 2010 at 10:00 AM

It’s funny. I have one very good conservatice democrat friend who just doesn’t say much about him anymore. Now, he still teases me about me purchasing another AR15 back around the time Eric Holder was floating balloons about looking at the assualt weapons ban, (Hurry, he’s going to take all your weapons) but that’s in fun for something I did that was rather knee-jerk and stereotypical. But he just doesn’t talk politics anymore in general, or about the president at all.

hawkdriver on June 27, 2010 at 10:07 AM

Grace_is_sufficient on June 27, 2010 at 10:00 AM

As per Doc Zero’s post yesterday, the media is working 24/7 trying to control the news for O-bummer. I believe his real approval numbers are in the mid to high 30′s. No one wants to admit they voted for they guy as many are in personal damage control. The favorite buzz term is now “don’t blame me, I didn’t vote, sat that one out.”

Keemo on June 27, 2010 at 10:11 AM

William Amos on June 27, 2010 at 10:06 AM

It sure is and it’s about time they were called on it. So many in the Dem party are so fractured by their problem (which is any activism) that they can’t get on the same page of liberty and freedom. It’s just plain sick. They have become a whole, new mental disease.

BetseyRoss on June 27, 2010 at 10:13 AM

I also think the ‘Bradley effect’ has alot to do with his midling approval numbers. My guess is that he gets at least 10 points to the positive from it. Actual numbers are probably closer to 30%.

Pelosi delende est on June 27, 2010 at 10:21 AM

Lecturing dads in Father’s Day to take pretend vacations for “lasting family memories”

The One ought to know all about “let’s pretend”; his entire history is a made-up fraud.

Rusty Bill on June 27, 2010 at 10:25 AM

Twitters notwithstanding, I saw the amateurism of lecturing fathers through a government website which had all the appeal of a government-issued pamphlet. How many of those has anyone read?

ExpressoBold on June 27, 2010 at 10:27 AM

“Rock star personality.” Snort. What does Barry have in common with a rock star (other than his pathetic desire to be one)? He’s a thin-skinned bore. That whole “rock star” crap was manufactured by huckster David Axelrod and his planted “fainting groupies” gimmicks during the primaries. The real Barry is the one droning on with his insipid platitude-filled speeches while the people around him are yawning and falling asleep.

AZCoyote on June 27, 2010 at 10:28 AM

sammypants on June 27, 2010 at 9:20 AM

Bonus points for also showing:

1. He’ll read whatever is on the teleprompter.
2. Chuck Todd of MSNBC will parrot any talking point the White House sends him to excuse Messiah from looking less than 100% messiah-ist.

Marcus on June 27, 2010 at 10:33 AM

Rusty Bill on June 27, 2010 at 10:25 AM

Yep

ladyingray on June 27, 2010 at 10:37 AM

hawkdriver on June 27, 2010 at 9:24 AM

I have some “If Bush did it headlines…”
Bush Arrives at G-8 in Huntsville, Ontario, Makes Golf Improvement a Priority
Bush Arrives at G-8 in Huntsville, Ontario, Mistakenly Thinks It Part of The Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail
Bush Arrives at G-20, Declares Europeans “Out of Touch” on Austerity, Vows to Spend More
Bush Arrives at G-20, Eschews Green Technologies in Favor of Conventional Transportation Vehicles

ExpressoBold on June 27, 2010 at 10:43 AM

ExpressoBold on June 27, 2010 at 10:43 AM

Also very good ones.

hawkdriver on June 27, 2010 at 10:52 AM

I voted for the awakening of the press. I am not sure it will last and it may only be a CYA move but I’ll take what I can get.

Cindy Munford on June 27, 2010 at 10:55 AM

hawkdriver on June 27, 2010 at 10:52 AM

That’s a great idea for a new Hot Air daily feature. Registered users supply alternate headlines for “If Bush had done [...] the headline would be [...]”
It could be entitled something like “Hot Air Readers: Doing the job the MSM fails to do.”

ExpressoBold on June 27, 2010 at 11:07 AM

Fore! Dear Leader needs his down time.

skanter on June 27, 2010 at 11:09 AM

I voted for that Father’s Day message. Leaving aside the PC part about one dad, two dads, blue dads or whatever (why not a shout out to lesbian parents acting as “dads” as well?), I strongly oppose the nanny state notion of the president of the U.S. to take time from his busy golf schedule to make micro-child-parenting tips.

While one could say that’s among the least of our problems with this president, I’ll argue it exemplifies the larger issue of Democrats who always want to exercise more control over our lives.

Drained Brain on June 27, 2010 at 11:12 AM

Ian on June 27, 2010 at 9:50 AM

Wasn’t Ehrlich already Governor once with Steele as lieutenant?

Lanceman on June 27, 2010 at 11:24 AM

Grace_is_sufficient on June 27, 2010 at 10:00 AM

I can’t help thinking that there’s some kind of Bradley effect thangy at work here. Right now, 35% are still backing Obama to the hilt, but another 10% will not abandon him in a telephone poll because they simply do not want the person on the other end of the line to think they’re a racist.

Because of support from 95% of blacks and unanimity from the patchwork quilt of the Dem base, he’ll never go below, say, 33% even if he’s caught molesting kids (in which case it will be their fault). The interesting thing will be watching that 45% shrink to 33%.

BuckeyeSam on June 27, 2010 at 11:26 AM

ExpressoBold on June 27, 2010 at 11:07 AM

You know, I might burn too many brain cells on the mental eercise. But it occurs to me constantly how unfairly critical the press was to Bush and how they can’t seem to do enough to bolster the image of Obama. It’s amazing that there is even a story out there that speaks to disillusion on thier part now with him.

But, I do think rewriting the headline would be fun for a thread or two.

hawkdriver on June 27, 2010 at 11:32 AM

lol, mental “execise”.

Time to quit for today.

hawkdriver on June 27, 2010 at 11:32 AM

Living in fantasy land get’s my vote.

Does that mean we can pretend to pay our taxes too?

Hog Wild on June 27, 2010 at 11:39 AM

Spending $500,000 to give a 10-minute speech in Ohio

What is the unemployment rate in Ohio? They had unpaid workers in hard hats as props at his speech.

Dr Evil on June 27, 2010 at 11:40 AM

blatantblue on June 27, 2010 at 10:07 AM

Soon to be preached on in a “church” we all love and admire.

chemman on June 27, 2010 at 11:44 AM

“FORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRE!”

VibrioCocci on June 27, 2010 at 11:48 AM

Obama golfs as BP’s CEO yachts

I once read in a history book that Nero fiddled as Rome burned… Nero redux?

AH_C on June 27, 2010 at 12:00 PM

hawkdriver on June 27, 2010 at 11:32 AM

Ditto. Every mispronunciation by Øbummer is ignored when any mispronunciation by Bush got on the very last nerve of pundits, comedians, newscasters, and other elitist frauds who commenced a 24/7 exposé of Bush The Intellectually Incurious, Bush the Anti-Intellectual, and Bush the Embarrassing Dope.
Øbummer, the Leading Zero, not so much examination or criticism.

ExpressoBold on June 27, 2010 at 12:02 PM

Still feeling good about reflexively pulling the democrat lever in the voting booth?

Inanemergencydial on June 27, 2010 at 12:30 PM

Being an Ohioan with a husband who just landed a part-time job after being unemployed for over two years, I had to go with the 10 minute speechifying in Columbus. Estimates of the total cost are between $500 thousand and $1 million of taxpayers’ money.

Good article at The Los Angeles Times: “Must-read Obama speech: 10 minutes of talk with each golden word costing you $502.”

Ohioans are hurting big time under Der Leader and his a**hat crony, Gov. Strickland. I daydream about having two minutes of uninterrupted face time with Obummer, so this wife, mother and grandmother could tell him what I really think of him.

I can see November from my house, and I can’t wait to cast my ballot.

GrannyDee on June 27, 2010 at 12:30 PM

“They are no longer dazzled by his rock star personality and there is a sense that there is something amateurish and even incompetent about how Obama is managing U.S. power.”

Brutal but not brutal enough to tell the truth. It’s far worse than that methinks.

Yakko77 on June 27, 2010 at 12:35 PM

it sounds like graham is going to vote for kagan…boasting about the gang of 14…

cmsinaz on June 27, 2010 at 9:18 AM

You really didn’t have any doubt about that, did you?

Extrafishy on June 27, 2010 at 12:59 PM

Duffer-In-Chief, still stuck in the sandtrap of his own shifting ego.

Plugging the wrong damn hole.

18 times.

profitsbeard on June 27, 2010 at 1:48 PM

If Sarah Palin could get a GOLF magazine cover, standing on the links, ironically scanning the horizon… with the script: “Have You Seen The President…?” it would be a needed kick in Obama’s Titleists.

profitsbeard on June 27, 2010 at 1:54 PM

Ed, when will you commence writing an Obamateurism of the Hour column?

itsnotaboutme on June 27, 2010 at 9:03 AM

You got it right.

All of these would been the end of Bush had he done it. All were horrific missteps.

All together Obama is having a real hard time getting even his most ardent supporters to support these idiotic moves.

Now this skimmer ship may just do him in. We can hope and pray.

Steveangell on June 27, 2010 at 3:11 PM

Anyone who votes for Kagen should be voted out: target rich retirement.
BuckeyeSam- I am with you. 10-25% in my opinion disapprove but are afraid to admit it, besides what % of Americans don I once ate childrenwings with GWB. extra spicy.

texriot on June 27, 2010 at 5:57 PM

Correction: Sorry
Anyone who votes for Kagen should be voted out: target rich retirement.
BuckeyeSam- I am with you. 10-25% in my opinion disapprove but are afraid to admit it, besides what % of Americans don’t pay taxes?
Profitsbeard- I suspect 1 or 2 hole-outs, and 16 to 17 “gimme’s” seeing as he surrounds himself with sycophants.
Blatantblue- Your killing me. I once ate childrenwings with GWB. Extra Spicy

texriot on June 27, 2010 at 6:04 PM

And YES! Sarah Palin on the cover of Golf Digest would send The “O” into hazards, out of bounds, and basically weeping in the corner of the locker room. Oh how I can dream! This guy hasn’t had a par in quite a while.

texriot on June 27, 2010 at 6:11 PM

The Obamateurism Of The Day today is the same as yesterday and the day before etc. 68 days into this oil gusher debacle the poseur has not yet begun to deploy the booms and skimmers necessary to contain it. This is unconscionable and it’s bloody well time for squishy Republicans to man up and take this gross incompetent and his media protectors to task.

Basilsbest on June 27, 2010 at 6:29 PM