Video: Palin speaks at CSU Stanislaus

posted at 12:50 pm on June 26, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Sarah Palin finally gave her speech California State University at Stanislaus after a controversy over its contract with the conservative firebrand. Palin started off by joking about the kerfuffle, demanding a bendable straw and a bottle of water at the beginning of the speech. Instead of the usual cheering crowd, CSU Stanislaus provided a polite and appreciative audience, and Palin delivered a speech that fit the venue. She drew connections between the agricultural industry in the area and her family’s work in commercial fishing before launching into a more philosophical review of the nature of liberty. The Right Scoop has the video from the local Fox station’s video stream:

The Merced Sun-Star has a cleaner video of the speech, but TRS’s is perfectly serviceable. The Sun-Star also reported on the event:

Sarah Palin discussed civic education, freedom of speech and her infamous “bendable straws” demand at California State University, Stanislaus, on Friday night.

In a 34-minute speech, she poked fun at controversy sparked by the March announcement she would appear at the public school and the outcry over her confidential contract, a portion of which students said they found in a university Dumpster. …

She repeatedly referenced Ronald Reagan’s optimism. She said she felt a kinship with the farmers in the room because she’s the owner of a family fishing business.

She called for a return to common sense in the country and took President Obama to task for what she sees as soft views on the war on terror and immigration.

“We must embrace our entrepreneurial drive, and allow America to remain the world’s standard-bearer for excellence,” she said.
Palin took a shot at those who have launched an investigation into the finances of the university’s nonprofit foundation in response to her confidential contract.

“Attorney General Jerry Brown and friends, this is California, do you really not have anything better to do?”

The Sun-Star also reported that around a hundred protesters turned out for the speech, chanting slogans and carrying signs calling Palin “Sinister Sarah.” If that’s as good as CSU Stanislaus’ lefties can manage, things have gone downhill since my days in the CSU system almost 30 years ago in Fullerton. The mainstream media reporters covering the event couldn’t do much better, as Breitbart TV caught when the live feed continued after the speech and picked up the comments of the press corps:

If these were opinion journalists, these comments would be no problem. If they’re news reporters expected to render an objective, fact-based report on the event, I’d say that they have a bright future at MSNBC.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

That is hilarious about Jesse Jackson and “Hymietown!”
I forget about true racist classics like that.

BTW, purple is my favorite color! :-)

Jenfidel on June 28, 2010 at 4:34 AM

So you equate yourself to Jesse Jackson because both of you can hurl epithets? Wow… how very impressive. /sarc

Bradky on June 28, 2010 at 4:47 AM

Bradky, you are delirious!
This is one of Sarah’s best speeches yet!
Sarah Palin at the Oil Palace in Tyler, TX

Jenfidel on June 28, 2010 at 4:48 AM

Bradky on June 28, 2010 at 4:34 AM

If bashers can criticize her for the tone of her voice or accent I can praise her for the same.

I’d prefer to stick to the content of the speech – but since her critics seem incapable of such intelligent discussion I guess we are reduced to debating her vocal qualities.

Personally I thought her speech was a brilliant blend of poignant commentary and visionary ideas that seemed to be written by some modern day Shakespeare but I guess we all are entitled to our own opinions.

Mr Purple on June 28, 2010 at 4:49 AM

Bradky on June 28, 2010 at 4:47 AM

Uninformed and confused troll thy name is Bradky.

Where did she equate herself to Rev Jesse? Are you hallucinating?

Mr Purple on June 28, 2010 at 4:51 AM

Jenfidel on June 28, 2010 at 4:48 AM

So while Sarah is running around the country making “nice” speeches at 75-100K a pop real leaders such as Jindal are tending to their state.
Opportunism has never been an adjective missing when it comes to Palin, the resigner.
Obama made pretty speeches as well – he is not working out all that well is he? Ditto Palin – tale of two amateurs and the either or fallacy of the Palinites.
Both wrong and both very sophomoric.

Bradky on June 28, 2010 at 5:01 AM

Where did she equate herself to Rev Jesse? Are you hallucinating?

Mr Purple on June 28, 2010 at 4:51 AM

I equate her to Jackson since she brought up his comment. Jen has been shown to use epithets in a disparaging manner. Only she knows whether she is racist but her postings certainly prove she is classless.
You and her go after Race Card’s posts when he used the terms to describe how they are used – not like Jen where they were used to disparage.
Pretty transparent and weak approach if you want to engage TRC in an honest dialog.

Bradky on June 28, 2010 at 5:07 AM

Bradky on June 28, 2010 at 5:01 AM

Jindal is a toad. His refusal to comment on Allee Bautsch’s beating showed what a coward he truly is. After his ‘Mr Rogers’ SOTU rebuttal it is clear he has no future as a national leader. He sounded like a timid 14 year old asking for allowance money from daddy.

I hear he isn’t even a natural born citizen and is ineligible to even be POTUS. He might be a muslim, too.

Mr Purple on June 28, 2010 at 5:07 AM

Mr Purple on June 28, 2010 at 5:07 AM

This statement in itself proves that not only are you a blind cultist re Palin but an uninformed and biased buffoon. Parents who are Hindu and a child who converted to Catholicism in his teens and you make him to be a Muslim?
Incredible level of ignorance.

Bradky on June 28, 2010 at 5:11 AM

I equate her to Jackson since she brought up his comment.

Bradky on June 28, 2010 at 5:07 AM

…but that isn’t what you said.

Bradky on June 28, 2010 at 4:47 AM

As for ‘context’, Jenfidel was making a joke. Are you that sensitive that you can’t take a joke?

TRC’s FREQUENT use of ‘wetback’ and the rest of the racist smears he routinely posts unedited are nothing more than race baiting. Race baiters like you and TRC are really the lowest form of racists. You hurl your racist epithets and make sexcuses for people like Jesse when they use them – then you try to paint innocent folks who don’t regularly use these terms and find them offensive as racists.

Your Palin bashing also makes you sexist.

Personally I think the race card is dead. It has no power left anymore. Since Obama decided to run for POTUS the race card has been played about a zillion times. If you are against health care you are racist. If you stand against socialism you are racist.

I could really care less what accusations you race baiters throw around. They have no power anymore. You have played out your hand and were holding a deuce and a seven compared to the pocket aces Jenfidel and myself are holding.

Mr Purple on June 28, 2010 at 5:18 AM

Bradky on June 28, 2010 at 5:11 AM

Well, I’ve read it several places on the internet so it must be true.

You can believe what you want to believe – I’m leaving all options open.

The fact you have pretended to have never heard this allegation proves you are nothing but a a Jindal cultist.

Mr Purple on June 28, 2010 at 5:25 AM

Mr Purple on June 28, 2010 at 5:18 AM

Don’t drink and post. You are incoherent. You spend 10 minutes penning some rambling scree about how I am playing the race card AND am sexist because I criticize a palin performance? If I said you are racist for criticizing Obama there would be no difference in that approach whatsoever.
But only you make that leap in logic.
There is a difference between race baiting and discussing bias and racism in which some of the slurs are referred to. You are obviously too challenged to understand the difference.

Bradky on June 28, 2010 at 5:27 AM

Well, I’ve read it several places on the internet so it must be true.
Mr Purple on June 28, 2010 at 5:25 AM

This will be written on the tombstone of western civilization….

Bradky on June 28, 2010 at 5:30 AM

Bradky on June 28, 2010 at 5:01 AM

Well if you consider sending out a skimming crew to their imminent death because you refuse to allow them to use lifevests or building a ‘sand berm to massive fish death’tending to your state I guess Jindal is doing exactly that.

Kinda makes you a fishist, though, you fish hater!

Mr Purple on June 28, 2010 at 5:30 AM

Bradky on June 28, 2010 at 5:27 AM

So – me attsacking Jindal makes me a racist, but you attacking Palin ddoesn’t make you sexist?

Nice double standard you have you racist, sexist fishist! Is there any creature you don’t hate simply because it exists?

Mr Purple on June 28, 2010 at 5:33 AM

Mr Purple on June 28, 2010 at 5:33 AM

I criticize Palin based on her lack of depth and coherence. You make wild allegations about Jindal’s religion and nationality based on “something you saw on the internet”.
Yes, that makes your scree sound racist. Calling me sexist because I criticize Palin doesn’t make it true – it only shows you don’t understand what the term means.

Bradky on June 28, 2010 at 5:37 AM

Bradky on June 28, 2010 at 5:37 AM

You don’t cite anyexamples though. You just make off the cuff insults with nothing to back them up.

At least I am using specific examples of what makes Jindal a poor choice as a leader.

Your attacks are nothing more than sexist smears and hate speech.

Mr Purple on June 28, 2010 at 5:41 AM

Bradky on June 28, 2010 at 5:01 AM

You also contradict yourself here. You say Palin is a poor speaker who strings random sentences together, but then compare her speech making to Obama and call them ‘pretty speeches’.

You admit she gives great speeches one minute and turn around and say the opposite the next.

Mr Purple on June 28, 2010 at 5:46 AM

Mr Purple on June 28, 2010 at 5:46 AM

NO. YOU and folks like Jen rave about what great speeches they are – not me. Obamabots did the same about his speeches, none of which I found particularly inspiring.

You are so wrapped up in Palin that you really can’t see how much like the Obamabots you are. I used specific facts earlier in the thread such as her getting facts wrong about where Eureka college is and the name/circumstances of the Iranian woman who was killed.
But for the Palinbots any criticism, no matter how accurate, will jump to the “you are a sexist” meme about the one making the criticism.

Bradky on June 28, 2010 at 5:53 AM

Bradky on June 28, 2010 at 5:53 AM

Obama made pretty speeches as well

Bradky on June 28, 2010 at 5:01 AM

So you admit to being an Obot? Obots rave about Obama speeches and there you are saying how pretty his speeches are!

If you would read thru the thread you would understand that I am simply doing what the Palin critics do – but in reverse. The majority of the comments were silly comments about the tone of her voice or other frivilous nonsense.

So I simply used the same tactics in reverse and give her glowing reviews of the tonal qualities of her speech. What is good for the goose is good for the gander – but you somehow take offense when silly criticism is met with silly praise.

Similarly you think it is just fine for race baiters like TRC to hurl ridiculous ‘racist’ allegations at Palin supporters – but when TRC or yourself are the subject of the same type of attacks suddenly it isn’t so fair.

Racsim has died. Racism has been reincarnated as political disagreement. This is simply the world we live in under Obama.

Mr Purple on June 28, 2010 at 6:08 AM

Read through the transcript of the speech and you see that it is little more than random sentences thrown together.No surprise the Fox team thought it was horrid.Thin on substance, weak on accuracy, but heavy on “choir of angels” effect…. almost like going to a Benny Hinn event.

Bradky on June 28, 2010 at 4:34 AM

Similarly I met your analysis of ther speech which cited no specifics only vague criticism that could be applied to any speech unseen and unheard I reply in kind:

Mr Purple on June 28, 2010 at 4:49 AM

…but it’s OK for you to make vague criticism, but I can’t make a vague glowing review.

Mr Purple on June 28, 2010 at 6:27 AM

Mr Purple on June 28, 2010 at 6:08 AM

I am an objectivabot if anything. Try it sometime – you may be surprised at the newfound freedom.
My criticism was specific whereas your fawning critique was related to the person rather than the substance.

Bradky on June 28, 2010 at 8:08 AM

Bradky on June 28, 2010 at 8:08 AM

Oh bull. From the time you jumped in to defend TRC you offered nothing but vague insults that could be applied to any speech.

Face it – you have one standard for attacking Palin. Anything goes. Attack your Idol Jindal and you apply another standard.

I would prefer to discuss the candidates intelligently based on the records and policies but you and the rest of the Jindalbots and Romneybots cannot do so. Sarah is out there leading. Jindal and Romney are nowhere to be found. They are spineless – just like their supporters.

Mr Purple on June 28, 2010 at 8:28 AM

Palin bashers are even more biased and beholden to their candidates than Chris Matthews and Dan Rather.

SARAH PALIN: With this announcement that I’m not seeking re-election, I determined it is best to transfer the authority of governor, to Lieutenant Governor Parnell.

MATTHEWS: Transfer the authority? Well, she quit. A lot of people thought that was a short-sighted move, that quitting would end her career as an elected politician. Well, a year since then Palin’s made well over $12 million. Her first book “Going Rogue” was the year’s number one best-seller, made her $7 million in the advance. She gets $100,000 a speech, and Fox signed her to a TV deal. Besides getting to be rich, has she become, I would ask you open-ended, is she the most important Republican right now in the country?

DAN RATHER: Well, she’s not running at the moment for President. But I wouldn’t underestimate her. She’s a version now of a Deacon with four aces. She can go a lot of different ways. She is playing an almost perfect hand. If she wants to stay a power in the Party, make a lot of money and not run, she can do that. I wouldn’t underestimate her even for 2012 for one second. If she decides to run, it would be hard to bet against her for the nomination.

MATTHEWS: Good point. Is she Richard Nixon? Is she going around and picking up chits, proving that she can deliver, carefully selecting winners, avoiding losers when they’re on the right, so that day after this election, like Nixon did in ’66, “Look what I did for the party, I should be the nominee?”RATHER: And goes into the convention with maybe thirty percent of the votes.
——————–
So, Bradky, how does it feel to be an even bigger ‘water carrier’ than Chris Matthews?

Mr Purple on June 28, 2010 at 8:34 AM

It was funny to read the report that she raised more money for the college than any other fundraiser in history.

I could hear Jerry Brown groaning over here. *haha

AnninCA on June 28, 2010 at 9:42 AM

Maybe this is just my superimposition upon her but honestly, everything in her past and present, both talk and action, indicates this is how a Palin presidency would have functioned.
We could do a lot worse.

MaxMBJ on June 26, 2010 at 1:16 PM

Or a Palin Vice Presidency, if McCain hadn’t suspended his campaign to vote for TARP.

Palin recently told Hannity that she does NOT trust oil companies, but needs to verify their honesty. Under a McCain / Palin Administration, the inspections of Deep Horizons would NOT have been waived. Who knows, they might have found something BEFORE this well went into production, and prevented this spill outright.

Steve Z on June 28, 2010 at 6:21 PM

To Mr. Purple:

Hush! Forget ’bout Bradky. He/She/It (Bradky) is deliriously jealous of Sarah Palin in behalf of his/her/its “boss”.

…. Just say …. Sarah Palin ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TheAlamos on June 29, 2010 at 7:43 AM