Oh well: U.S. eliminated from World Cup by Ghana

posted at 7:00 pm on June 26, 2010 by Allahpundit

If you missed it, consider yourself lucky twice over: Not only was the result disappointing but the game was a snooze even by normal soccer standards. Imagine 30 minutes of extra time comprised of (a) Ghana players flopping to the turf with fake injuries to run down the clock after scoring early and (b) an exhausted Team USA desperately trying to put the ball on net but clearly too fatigued to do anything creative with it. The only thing that would have made it worse would have been losing on penalty kicks, soccer’s equivalent of the home-run derby, which, inexplicably, they use to decide world championships. (The last Cup final was decided on PKs, don’t forget). At least our death was clean, my friends. Take comfort in that.

Now the media can put its evergreen “Is soccer finally about to break out in America?” stories back in mothballs for four years, when doubtless we’ll make another thrilling run to the round of 16 and drop a heartbreaker to Luxembourg or something. Exit question: Given that this is the second Cup in a row where we’ve lost to this team, is it time for a national debate on our “soccer gap” with Ghana? Click the image to watch.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

I would like to go to a live hockey game, I have trouble following the puck on TV, I think it’s because I am older and not familiar with the game.

Cindy Munford on June 26, 2010 at 11:02 PM

Hockey probably benefits from HDTV as much as any other sport, because the higher definition picture makes the puck much easier to follow. Unfortunately, it’s still hard in most places to actually see a game in 750p or 1080i because of the NHL’s stupid TV marketing decision a few years ago.

Soccer also benefits from HDTV, more due to the wider screen than the increased resultant. But even the wider screens have a hard time from the sidelines showing the plays as they set up from start to finish. The behind-the-goal cameras do that much better, in the same way the end zone cameras on kickoffs or punts in the NFL can show the blocking schemes and defense as they set up, and soccer TV directors are going to have to figure out how to better use the end camera shots in future games to make the strategy more available (and interesting) to the casual fans at home.

jon1979 on June 27, 2010 at 10:58 AM

jon1979 on June 27, 2010 at 10:58 AM

My oldest son loves it all so I am willing to give all of it try. And of course, all the kids played soccer when they were growing up, the only hockey was field or street.

Cindy Munford on June 27, 2010 at 11:02 AM

toliver on June 27, 2010 at 1:57 AM

You said “I don’t need an alien, I just need easily entertained optionless retards.”

What ?!?! You lie about the alien ?!?! … I have been running like hell in the streets in my town screaming “they are already here , THEY ARE HEREEEE!!!” and now you say that there is no alien ??? … from now on I won’t trust you anymore .

About the optionless retards .As jimver and me have said , in europe our options about sports are at least so many as yours, and even in some cases there are more important options than yours as the F1 about motor sports , the same that you have more importants options about basketball as the NBA. But that is one of the reason you hate soccer , because you try to make it some kind of “USA versus europe” thing , despising the option you don’t like , and you are not willing to see it just as simply another sport.

And about the “retards” … It seems it could be you the “optionless” you are talking about , cause it seems you have no many options in your head to discuss so you rather call us all retards, which is not really the best option .

You said -”Soccer is the simplest sport I can think of.”

Then you have some thinking problem it seems ¬¬’

And you said -”This is not a bad thing. If only the goals were larger to allow for a little something we Americans like to call……scoring.”

That is the proof that you don’t get football .
You don’t get what is happening to achieve a goal ,but you get that when the ball goes in there is a score . Surely you just see people running there , and because of your simple view of football you just can get it when they score , because you don’t get the rest of it.
Usually that is why some people don’t like sports with few scoring , they don’t understand the rest so they think it is boring ( it could you get it … and still think it is boring , but obviously that is not your case )

And because you don’t get it you react as a little child , I mean, if you don’t understand something it means that there is nothing to understand.

Do you think boxing is boring because there are not many KOs??.
There are not many KOs , but it does not mean that there is not happening things to watch and understand .
The boxers are developing their strategy when attacking and defending , and they do it in constant action , not in a start-stop situation , and that is interesting.
And sometimes they work well their strategy ( or the rival fails to do well his strategy) and there could be a KO . (it is not a perfect analogy but I am sure you get it , if not then ask the alien for help)

If boxing were a sport in which the boxers just do stupid and brainless “bar fights” , always throwing punches senseless I am sure that there would be more KOs , but would it be better ? you would like it more? it would be a shit .

If you really get football( even if you don’t like it) you would understand the “chess match” that is developing every minute , during 90 minutes of action , where the coach have to face a complex situation because in soccer things are pretty open , changing , and it is in constant developing , it is not a stop-start situation .
It is not as if in boxing you could say “stop , wait a minute ,I will take a moment to think about my next punch” or “wait don’t punch me yet , I am trying to get some rest”.

In football you have action and strategy constantly mixed , plus all the other factors like individual actions , phisical performance , etc … even mistakes and luck are a little part of it … cause it is very open and it could happen anything , and that is insteresting ( even if there are boring matches too, as in any other sport)

You just don’t get soccer ,that does not mean you can’t get it, you could if you want (even if you don’t like it anyway) . But you tried it just 10 minutes with you alien friend , don’t despise something you don’t get .

MiguelAngel on June 27, 2010 at 11:09 AM

HornetSting on June 27, 2010 at 12:21 AM

I did not attack your team !!! O_o’ , even I was talking about how sad is that somepeople here is happy about te USA defeat just because they hate soccer , even if the USA did very well and was one of the most respected teams in the world cup .

And about Beckham .

No , we don’t steal Beckham , we kidnapped his wife!!!.And we threatened him to feed her some paellas if he does not play in the real madrid . They was terrified about the weight gain ,so he cooperate with us ¬¬ .

But they scaped !!!

( Seriously , what a talented and proffesional player Becham is , an example in the field )

MiguelAngel on June 27, 2010 at 11:16 AM

Trafalgar on June 27, 2010 at 8:25 AM

You say “Just a quick suggestion for the soccer haters…don’t watch it. You’ll feel much better. I can’t stand basketball, so I never watch it”

But that is because soccer and baseball are just sports , so you watch them if you like them , and you don’t feel “threatened” by a sport , you don’t need to attack those who likes baseball .

But a few people around here they really hate soccer because they take it in some kind of politically fanatical way , and they think that soccer is a devils thing , something commie and stuff , they try to turn it into a “USA versus europe” thing , which is pretty nonsense.

Anyyway somtimes it is funny to see how many people here are complaining about soccer being forced down their throats … nobody is forcing you to watch it , like it or talk about it !!! It is you who are spamming all the threads about football with complaints about it .

It is just crazy the how some people react to soccer , feeling so threatened by just a soccer match , cause this thread should be that … a thread about the USA match , but with their spamming they are “forcing down our throats” to talk about other things.And I have no problem with people talking about other things , but at least they should’n be hipocrytical , cause it is them who are trying to force other people by their comments.

As I said in other threads , they seem to be the same kind of hating leftards that hate eveything they don’t like ,even if there is nothing wrong with it , always mixing things with politics .

MiguelAngel on June 27, 2010 at 11:20 AM

Talking about devils thing …

Cindy Munford on June 27, 2010 at 10:48 AM

You said -”their fans have been known to do some awful things when the outcome doesn’t go their way. Sort of like the L.A. reaction to the Laker’s win but with death.”

Death is part of our most important rituals . For example , If our soccer team loses a game we behead some little children to placate the anger of the god Blatter . Then we play soccer with their heads and drink their blood.

Just a sport tradition as any other.

MiguelAngel on June 27, 2010 at 11:24 AM

Jaibones on June 27, 2010 at 10:08 AM

You said -”Miguel, this is truly the bottom line with the US team. Our coaching is fine, our defense is ok, our midfield is good and very athletic. But in the box we have no finishing skills.”

Yes . Finishing is the next thing to improve ,because the rest is pretty fine already , in fact it is more than fine. For example here in Spain your team is seen as a really good team , before the world cup began the journalist believe that the USA team could be the surprise in the world cup , etc

That was like that because the USA defense in more than fine , and the midfield is more than good and athletic , some midfield players ( obviously Donovan is the best example ) are really classy players . You must not be “afraid” to say that the USA team is more than just good , just because some people in the USA still believe that soccer is not for the USA , really the USA team have gained good reputation .

And you said “In this game we had at least 10 high quality opportunities to score and finished none of them. Losing to a third-world sh!thole like Ghana is just pathetic.”

I agree with you about the opportunities ,if fact that happened in all of your matches, so many good opportunities …
But I disagree about being patehtic to lose against a third world s…hole . Because ghana was a pretty good team , they have good players , I mean their players are profesional players as any other there in the world cup .

So it is not fair to say it was patethic. It was not patethic at all , maybe you coudl say it was sad because of the failed opportunities , but it was not patethic .

MiguelAngel on June 27, 2010 at 11:34 AM

Miguel sheesh dude write a book then send us a link./wow

CWforFreedom on June 27, 2010 at 11:47 AM

Miguel very few people hate soccer due to politics. Please stop. Most don’t like and that is due to the fact that it is booooring. I can take only so many 0-0 1-0 2-0 games. I have seen my share of soccer and read my share of comments to see right through your silly point.

CWforFreedom on June 27, 2010 at 11:48 AM

Hey, at least we didn’t lose like England just did versus Germany. 4-1, ouch. We did it respectfully, through dumb mistakes and overtime.

El_Terrible on June 27, 2010 at 11:54 AM

MiguelAngel on June 27, 2010 at 11:09 AM

It’s not a lack of scoring per se, that makes soccer less interesting to me. It’s the lack of balance between offense and defense. To me, for a game to be really good, the offense has to have a fair shot at succeeding much of the time. Success might mean goals, but it might mean also hits (like in hockey, as well as in baseball), or first downs like you have in football. So the offense has concrete statistically countable successes that are incremental, in addition to the big prize–scoring. My problem with soccer is that everything is stacked against the offense. They can scamper around plenty and connect on some nifty passes, but there are so many bodies out there, that the odds of even connecting on five consecutive passes are very slim. So–offensive failure is the main experience of the game. Conversely, I’m not that wild about lacrosse or arena football, because there the imbalance is on the side of the offense. I want a game to be set up so that I hate to leave my seat to go take a leak, because I have a reasonable expectation of something statistically significant happening. But I shouldn’t be sitting there in the seat with my bladder bursting because I’m afraid that if something should happen while I were gone, I would have missed the only offensive accomplishment of the game.

And speaking of passes. Of the teams I’ve seen so far, Brazil is the only one that seems to pass with the kind of accuracy that I’m familiar with from watching professional hockey. That certainly made things better. Watching Brazil, I was asking myself, why are these the only guys who can pass like this? No wonder nobody scores any goals. So, on another level, I also feel that yes–the players are amazing athletes–they can run for days with subsitution; they can do amazing things with the ball, just with their feet; but why is the passing so sketchy? It’s like watching little league hockey. Maybe part of the reason the game is frustrating for Americans to watch, is that they’re used to a higher standard of play. It sounds harsh, but watch a pro hockey power play. If they were blowing every third pass, they’d get booed out of the arena.

Also, in the interests of balancing offense and defense, lose that offside rule. Especially if it practically impossible to call correctly to the vagaries of parallax. The defense would adjust in order to deal with breakaways, and it would make the game more exciting. (Imagine basketball without the fast break.) I know, G0d forbid, it might lead to more scoring, but that might lead to less fights in the stands. The EU ought to do a study and see if fights aren’t more prevalent after 0-0 outcomes.

smellthecoffee on June 27, 2010 at 11:58 AM

run for days without substitution

impossible to call correctly due to the vagaries of parallax.

Erg.

smellthecoffee on June 27, 2010 at 12:02 PM

My issue is that soccer fans are so close-minded. American football has rule tweaks all the time. Hockey recently eliminated the two-line pass, which has made for some really exciting breakaways. But soccer people act as if the game sprung like Athena from the mind of Zeus, fully formed, and therefore, like some kind of religion, inviolable and impervious to improvement. Games should not be decided by poor officiating–can we at least agree on that? Most offside calls are made by a linesman as out of position as the referee seated by the net would be to call the endlines in tennis. AT LEAST allow for a replay on an offside call that nullifies a goal. For heaven’s sakes–you’ve got a decent game there, but it could be great with a few little tweaks. And if you think it couldn’t be any better, you’re suffering from a lack of sports imagination.

smellthecoffee on June 27, 2010 at 12:11 PM

MiguelAngel on June 27, 2010 at 11:24 AM

Really? Let me bookmark that for future reference.

Cindy Munford on June 27, 2010 at 12:13 PM

Cindy Munford on June 26, 2010 at 11:02 PM

–It’s tough to see the puck at a live game, too.

Jimbo3 on June 27, 2010 at 12:15 PM

smellthecoffee on June 27, 2010 at 11:58 AM

That is new , someone that don’t like soccer and at least he he try to really explain why he does not like it . I mean , it is not only someone saying “its boooring” .

But even if I understand your explanation I turn it around and I say that one of the best things about football is exactly what you say , it is dificult to score , they usually need to do it well and work hard to achieve a score , and if it were easier I don’t think I would like it so much , even if I understand you could like it more that way .That is fine .

About the offside rule , it must be there and should stay there . If you take it away you would harm the teams that play “honestly” and you would encourage the teams that just especulate with long passes and people waiting their chance. That would go against teams like the USA for example ¬¬ , and maybe you would see more goals , but less quality football too . And surely a more unjust football , as the honest teams would be “harmed”.

And you said “Watching Brazil, I was asking myself, why are these the only guys who can pass like this?”

Yes , Spain 2 years ago was much better than even Brazil about that kind of style . They were amazing . But the new coach … well … he ruined everything .
Anyway , this is the last good game Spain did , and you could se there some very accurate passes.

Very good the second goal .

Anyway about that kind of style , argentina is very good about it too , germany is pretty good , despite de new coach Spain still have the several of the best players when it comes to passes ( Xavi and Iniesta are amazing)… but maybe this world cup Brazil would be the best about this style of playing .

And soccer fans are so closed minded as baseball fans , basketaball fans , etc … it is you who talk about people who likes football in a closedminded way , as if they were zombies that are all the same … ¬¬ when they are the same than you and anyone else , just they like something you don’t like very much .. it is simple to understand , so bad for you smellcoffe , bad for you ¬¬’ .

MiguelAngel on June 27, 2010 at 12:42 PM

I watched about an hour and a half of the US/Ghana match and found it to be very frustrating. First, if I could do it I would halve the field length. Second, I would make it 60 minutes long with time outs for the proper reasons. After watching a Ghana player fall down and then take three minutes to get him, an uninjured player, off the field is so child like it is sick. Most of the time there is nothing going on in the middle of the field and it is just plain boring. Also, why is it so hard for a team mate to pass the ball to another team mate without any accuracy? They seem to kick high balls to the other end of the field with only HOPE that something good happens to it. Is there no team that can actually pass the ball accurately to another team mate? If this were baseball it would be like the short stop throwing one out of ten balls to first base and the first baseman actually catching it. I can see the third world excitement because there is no equipment required and except for the ball and nets you only need an acre of land.
I think some of the younger folks will grow up with it and continue to watch it but it has no chance of beating out baseball, football or basketball as America’s favorite sport.

inspectorudy on June 27, 2010 at 12:42 PM

Cindy Munford on June 26, 2010 at 11:02 PM
–It’s tough to see the puck at a live game, too.

Jimbo3 on June 27, 2010 at 12:15 PM

The more you know about hockey the better you can anticipate where the puck should be, making it easier to track. HD TV helped the game by making it easier to track the puck and the wider screen lets you see more of the ice. One of the problems with earlier nationally televised games was that the cameraman/producers did not fully understand the game. Because of this the puck got lost by the camera and cuts to other cameras came at inopportune times.

cobrakai99 on June 27, 2010 at 12:44 PM

Cindy Munford on June 27, 2010 at 12:13 PM

You can trust on me Cindy , As a soccer fan I could kill babies , but I always say the truth ¬¬ Just joking … I don’t say the truth always ¬¬’

Anyway , I understand what you said about the violence in football , but it is the same that the violence in other sports , you use a good example about the lakers .

But it is true too that soccer is by far the most popular game , it is popular too in very depressed or less developed countries , so there are more chances of people doing awfull things around soccer , the same with concerts or anything that gather a lot of people .

MiguelAngel on June 27, 2010 at 12:47 PM

I can’t believe Miguel has been here fighting all the soccer bigots by himself this whole time. For Jailbones, who called Ghana a 3rd world shithole, YOU ARE AN IMBECILE. I detest people like you who think you are better than everybody else. Maybe because i was born in another 3rd world shit hole called Nigeria, but people like you are evil, and probably racist too…Yes I said, you are completely out of line and racist. You can report me to ED if you like.

Ghana has more soccer pedigree than the US. Ghana has won the African cup 4 times, which is the most of any other country besides Egypt. Ghana has won the Under 21 world cup twice, and has won the Under 17 world cup twice too. Tell me the number of times that the US has won any of these competitions. Micheal Essien who is the best player on Chelsea, who just won the EPL is from Ghana. He didn’t play yesterday because of injury, but If he was on the field yesterday, the US would have lost by a boatlaod of goals, cus he is that good. On the soccer field, the US is an underdog compared to Ghana. It is your racist mentality that tells you otherwise, maybe because they are an African country or a 3rd world shit hole like you so eloquently put it. I detest people like you. i really do.

The US lost to a better team. Take it like a man, instead of crying like a little baby.

If people want to talk about soccer, they should. Like I said before, it is the most democratic sport out there. I love people who understand the game, and who enjoy it. Nobody is forcing anybody to watch. When i moved to this country 20 yrs ago, I hate football and basketball too. But as time went on, I got into the game, and I now love football, and basketball. I think they are very unique games, with they own styles. I never disparage them, cus i get why people like it. For some reason, some stupid Americans don’t give the same respect to soccer, and that is a huge shame, cus they are missing out.

Chudi on June 27, 2010 at 12:48 PM

And …

CWforFreedom on June 27, 2010 at 11:47 AM

You said “Miguel sheesh dude write a book then send us a link./wow”

Sorry , you are right , I had ruined other threads by doing that , I mean , writing too much, I start writing trying to be brief … but I can’t ¬¬.

Anyway , that is all by now . Bye everybody .

MiguelAngel on June 27, 2010 at 12:49 PM

The USA atleast showed a lot of heart in this game – went all the way to extra time.

Just watched the much celebrated English team, full of great and experienced players from the English Premier League have their collective asses handed to them by a bunch of young Germans who are 24 years old on average.

GERMANY 4 – England 1 ( it should have officially be 4 -2 one England goal was discounted even though it was clearly a goal)

nagee76 on June 27, 2010 at 12:54 PM

We don’t have anything to cheer for now as a nation until at least November. And that’s sad.

Apologetic California on June 27, 2010 at 12:54 PM

Chudi- I love how sensitive you soccer fans are. It is quite interesting. So easy to get a rise.

I like most in Americao find it boring. Big deal. You like it a lot. I don’t . I pull for our local MLS team and have attended games and like I said before it is a great way to spend a beautiful Saturday with friends, beer, and brats.

In regards to Ghana -almost 30 percent of the people live on less than 1.25 a day(US ). This is the poverty line.
So make of it as you will.

CWforFreedom on June 27, 2010 at 1:25 PM

Ghana isn’t a sh!thole. It is one of the few African success stories and one of the more economically stable African nations.

Kofi Annan, former Secretary General of the UN, is Ghanan.

Holger on June 27, 2010 at 10:35 AM

I wouldn’s say Ghana is a sh!thole, but its not a “success story” either. According to GDP per capita, it’s not even in the top 15 in Africa.

And being the home of Kofi Annan is hardly a compliment. The man was the most corrupt UN Secretary General in history.

Norwegian on June 27, 2010 at 1:29 PM

Norwegian…but hey its better than Somalia. / But who isn’t?

CWforFreedom on June 27, 2010 at 1:32 PM

Why the hell does the GDP of Ghana matter when we are talking about soccer. All this pretentious BS pisses me off, and below it all I think is a racist mentality. I mean the US loses to Mexico all the time, and I don’t see any morons here analyzing the GDP of Mexico.

Ghana kicked the ass of the US team, and I hope it pisses you morons off more. Nonsense.

Chudi on June 27, 2010 at 1:38 PM

It more internationally loved but their fans have been known to do some awful things when the outcome doesn’t go their way. Sort of like the L.A. reaction to the Laker’s win but with death.

The L.A. Lakers could kill someone live in the stadium and the average soccer fan wouldn’t care one whit. You’re the one with the problem which is why you need to spam/hijack threads to air your grievances. If maturity is so important to you then quit your Naturoboy routine (with soccer substituting for Christianity/Southerness.)

aengus on June 27, 2010 at 2:03 PM

MiguelAngel on June 27, 2010 at 11:09 AM

Again, we “get it”. We get soccer. There isn’t much to get. Soccer is a simple sport. If I had to think of a less complex team sport, I’d be challenged to come up with an answer.

toliver on June 27, 2010 at 2:47 PM

Argentina vs. Mexico 1-0. Argentina scored off-sides.

FIFA really needs to change its ways or a competitor Int’l league needs to be formed with common sense rules.

Holger on June 27, 2010 at 3:01 PM

So OK, the US has been beaten by some third world country that we should completely crush in any other competition besides this collectivist soccer.

I’m just so excited. NOT.

Soccer is the only sport I know in which fans in the stands sing songs and dance around for two hours instead of watching the game.

If it’s such a strategic game, why don’t they put down their damn infernal horns for even five seconds and study the “strategy”?

The fans only seem to turn around for the one point per hour that gets scored.

Maybe now finally we can all get back to real American sports now instead of these commie sports.

Edouard on June 27, 2010 at 3:01 PM

Argentina vs. Mexico 1-0. Argentina scored off-sides.

Holger on June 27, 2010 at 3:01 PM

England scored…but it was completely ignored…but, it didn’t really matter.
I don’t want soccer going the way of American football…challenges, reviews…the waiting really sux.
One way or the other, it gets ironed out during the game.
And, it gives people something to complain about if their team loses.

HornetSting on June 27, 2010 at 3:27 PM

Ghana kicked the ass of the US team,

Ghana won, but ..would not call what Ghana did “ass kicking”, though, Chudi. Not exactly a superior game. As far as superior teams go, giants like Italy , Spain and now England are eliminated. I understand your pride in the home team, but, I would be surprised if Ghana survived the quarterfinals.

I like most in Americao find it boring

you are not “most Americans” nor you speak for them – speak for yourself

runner on June 27, 2010 at 3:42 PM

Looks like the loser this year is FIFA. I thought nullifying the USa goal against Slovenia was bad – until they botched the england goal and gave Argentina a free one today.

In a sport where on 1-5 total goals are scored per game, taking one away or giving out a freebie is a pretty big deal. And they’ve done it in 3 of the games I’ve watched.

forest on June 27, 2010 at 3:55 PM

Chudi on June 27, 2010 at 1:38 PM

You’re edging ever closer into Narutoboy/The Race Card Territory…..

HornetSting on June 27, 2010 at 4:04 PM

HornetSting on June 27, 2010 at 3:27 PM

No, all they had to do was have two more judges on the field of play and one judge by each goal. That is simple. No requirement to do instant replay, no challenges.

They gave Argentina a free goal (and a case can be made that it demoralized Mexico) and denied a perfectly legitimate England Goal. In a game where you are lucky to score 3 goals, that a crappy ref can determine the game.

Its a crappy way to officiate. Infact, its a nice way of game fixing.

Holger on June 27, 2010 at 4:25 PM

Its a crappy way to officiate. Infact, its a nice way of game fixing.

Holger on June 27, 2010 at 4:25 PM

I get what you are saying…but, like taking dives, it is a part of soccer…

HornetSting on June 27, 2010 at 4:34 PM

(why did I say Spain was eliminated ? projection ??)

runner on June 27, 2010 at 4:39 PM

Dudes relax. Haters gon’ hate, but there are tons and tons of Americans that love soccer (yes, including many conservatives), and that number is only growing. Shrug off the bashers, you’re not going to change their minds. But soccer has never, ever been as popular and mainstream as it is today, with US-Ghana one of the most watched soccer games in our history, which doesn’t even account for the tens of thousands watching in plazas, stadiums, and bars all across the country.

Chudi on June 27, 2010 at 1:38 PM

This definitely didn’t happen. They had two good chances in 120 minutes and scored on both, we missed 3 sitters and overall were not prepared. The sport’s future has never looked brighter in the US, and you don’t do it any favors by making these stupid hostile comments.

jjraines on June 27, 2010 at 6:16 PM

I watch and love basketball, love football, love baseball(GO YANKS) and love soccer. I actually understand the intricacies all these sports well enough to have a serious discussion of individual game strategy and totally reject the idea that anyone of these sports is of greater worth or better than the other.

The one thing I particularly cant stand is every four years the “will soccer catch on?” crap we get here in the US. If something is gonna catch on it will. If it won’t it just won’t. So just shut the hell up about it. It’s insulting to fans and annoying to those not acquainted with the sport. Then there are these absolute fools who hate soccer for intruding their mental space. The mere mention of the sport elicits yowls of anger and derision. Get over yourself. You are not any better or worse for not liking a sport. It’s a sport

To the game yesterday, much props to the US but they shouldnt lose to Ghana who are a step below them. Except up front where Ghana has a truly professional scorer. Technically the USA has all the ingredients that make a winner: great goalie, solid defense and four terrific midfield players. The team is lacking one major element: a consistently dangerous scorer what my friends from Argentina call a “hook”. Jozy Altidore is one of the worst ball handling forwards I have ever seen at this level. He is like a center in basketball who couldn’t catch passes. His control and first touch leave an awful lot to be desired. And he lacks a finisher’s instincts. Edson Buddle who was on the bench is a far better natural striker. I would move Altidore from inside to be a more attacking winger. Making better use of his speed and one on one skills. The second half where the US created chance after chance is a testament to that midfield of Bradley Fildhaber(sp) Dempsey who were great.

titus_pullo on June 27, 2010 at 6:28 PM

toliver on June 27, 2010 at 2:47 PM

You said – “Again, we “get it”. We get soccer.”

We??? why did you say “we”? I said YOU don’t get soccer , by all you have said and continue saying it is obvious that you don’t get soccer , but you try to despise soccer by saying it is the simplest sport , and by doing it you are despising yourself as you look “unreasonable” , because you say no matter what just to despise what you don’t like/understand .

But I insist , I did not say the americans don’t get soccer , in this thread there are enought examples of people that get it … even if they can’t talk freely because all the complaints from the soccer haters.
And even there are people that get it but don’t like it , and that is OK.

I just said YOU don’t get it , the attention this world cup is gathering in the USA , it is a clear example that american people get it and even they like it .But if you don’t like it and dot want to take the time to get it .. it is OK .

And you said too – “It’s the American spirit [or at least was] to question, evolve and improve things. That’s what drove us to get up off our asses and come here while our neighbors embraced their comfort zones, watched soccer and languished in mediocrity.”

That is another proof that it is true what I said about some people that try to turn a discussion about a sport into a “USA versus the world” discussion, which is really nonsense.

CWforFreedom on June 27, 2010 at 11:48 AM

You say that it is silly my point about people hating soccer because they think it is commie , or people turning a discussion about soccer into a discussion “USA versus the world , we are good you are bad” , but the comment of toliver is another example of it … I mean , another one of so many we have seen in this thread or the USA -Algeria thread , thread in which there were lot of comments calling soccer commie , insulting soccer fans , indetifying soccer with bad and antiamerican values ( talk with Donovan about that antiamerican values thing ¬¬) etc

What is silly is deny the fact that there are many people here that attack soccer not only because it is boring to them , but for all the reasons I pointed out .
What is silly is to spend time here talking in a offensive way about something that you find soooo boring , I am sure lot of hotair commenters find soccer boring … that is why there are not here , or even if they came here and even make jokes they don’t try to attack those who like soccer in a agresive way , because for them it is just a boring sport .

why so many offesive and agresive comments by those who are just “bored”? Maybe they are not just boreed by soccer , maybe there are another reason for them to take the time to do those comments .

Anyway , my point is based in most of comments I have discussed especially in the thread about the USA-ALgeria match , if you want you read them and you could see it by yourself , if not at least dot deny the facts , cause it would be silly .

MiguelAngel on June 27, 2010 at 8:04 PM

aengus on June 27, 2010 at 2:03 PM

Silly, I like soccer. I just don’t understand why people get upset that everyone doesn’t but I do think you are correct about comparing these threads to the football threads. I hadn’t thought about that until you mentioned it. If it makes you feel any better people who don’t like tennis did the same thing on the thread about the long tennis match.

Cindy Munford on June 27, 2010 at 8:09 PM

forest on June 27, 2010 at 3:55 PM

You said -”Looks like the loser this year is FIFA. ”

I said it several times , the politically correct way to choose referees is harming the competition . FIFA and blatter are the ones to blame , they should choose profesional and trustworthy referees , referees as the retired Pierre Luigi Colina … there are not many as him , but they are enought to attend a world cup , instead of choosing referees of doubious quality just because they want to comply with poilitical correctness .

The referees are doing really bad this world cup , so many important mistakes should bring changes in the way they choose referees , it could not happen again in another world cup .

Oh , and FIFA and Blatter are the ones to blame about the vuvucelas too ¬¬ , and that is even worst than the referees problem .

MiguelAngel on June 27, 2010 at 8:13 PM

titus_pullo on June 27, 2010 at 6:28 PM

Saying that Ghana is a step below the US betrays the ethnocentric view of soccer, and doesn’t take into account their records in international soccer competition. Just because Americans didn’t know about it, doesn’t mean it didn’t happen. Ghana is a way better team than the US. The only place the US had a leg up on the Ghana team was experience, but those players from the Ghana team were the same ones who won the U21 World cup last year.

They have tournament experience, but nothing is like the World Cup. Almost of all them play in European teams. I wish you people would stop saying that, cus it’s just not true.

Chudi on June 27, 2010 at 8:22 PM

Now that more countries besides USA has been harmed by clear goals not credited (England) and an obvious off-side by Tevez that led to a goal that should not have counted (Mexico), this puts FIFA much, much closer to video review…

Good… LONG, LONG overdue… Start with the next FIFA tournament and work all the bugs out by World Cup 2016…

Khun Joe on June 27, 2010 at 8:30 PM

Chudi on June 27, 2010 at 8:22 PM

It was clear that the first half Ghana was better , but the second half was absolutely for the USa team . And it does not mean that Ghana is not a great team, in fact you give a good explanation about the Ghana team ,they are not the weak team some people believe it is , they are pretty good .

But you can not say that Ghana team is way better than the USA team if you want to be objective .The USa team is also a very good team , with some flaws that burden their play ( poor Altidore) but they are really good .

By the way , you have made a mistake but letting some comments make you angry , maybe later you would regret those comments you made , comments that surely were unfair about some people.
Anyway it is true that the GDP of Ghana it is not important about the subject of this thread , esentialy because any of the Ghana players , as profesional players they are ,are richest than any of us will ever be … at least me sadly ¬¬’

MiguelAngel on June 27, 2010 at 8:45 PM

runner on June 27, 2010 at 4:39 PM

I don’t know if it was projection … but I hope it was not premonition ^^’

MiguelAngel on June 27, 2010 at 8:48 PM

and i care why???

foxone on June 27, 2010 at 9:36 PM

toliver on June 27, 2010 at 2:47 PM

You said – “Again, we “get it”. We get soccer.”

And even there are people that get it but don’t like it , and that is OK.

MiguelAngel on June 27, 2010 at 8:04 PM

When I say “we”, I mean the majority of Americans that think soccer is not only boring, but effeminate [the constant flopping].

Really dude, there isn’t much to “get” with soccer. I can’t think of a team sport that’s more simple, so not understanding soccer isn’t a factor in the dislike for the sport.

toliver on June 27, 2010 at 10:31 PM

MiguelAngel on June 27, 2010 at 12:42 PM

You’re wrong about all fans being equally closed-minded. Do you realize that basketball almost died before the 24 second clock was introduced? One team would get a lead, and then it was “keep-away” for the rest of the game. (sound familiar?) Snore. Along came the 24 second shot clock, a figure arrived at by dividing the average number of shots in a game into the number of seconds in a game. So the idea was to spread the shots throughout the game. It literally saved the game of basketball. Hockey has undergone rule changes, most recently eliminating the two-line pass, to make more (yes that’s right) more breakaways possible. If you’re worried about people cherry picking, fine, put one offside line a few meters outside of the goal box, and let that be that. Put one line where it’ll do a little good, and then let players break for the goal. For Chrissakes, defenses would adjust. Baseball instituted the DH in the American League because pitchers weren’t contributing enough offensively. The National League didn’t go along–but my point is that most sports have tried things to make the sport more interesting. If you’d been in charge of basketball back in 1954, there would be no NBA in all probability. Open your mind. Modifying the offside rule, using instant replay to correct bad calls, seriously penalizing diving all would really help fix what’s wrong with soccer and make it even better than it already is. I like it–it just drives me nuts because it could be so much better, if boneheads weren’t running it and supporting it.

smellthecoffee on June 27, 2010 at 10:39 PM

smellthecoffee on June 27, 2010 at 10:39 PM

And a wider goal wouldn’t hurt either.

toliver on June 27, 2010 at 11:29 PM

Chudi on June 27, 2010 at 8:22 PM

What bollocks.. The US team should have won. Ghana were there for the taking…. on the day Ghana played brilliantly and hit above their FIFA ranking. Don’t make excuses. Ghana is an up and coming star… expect to see them do even better in four years. They have a great foot ball program there.

lexhamfox on June 28, 2010 at 1:26 AM

But it is true too that soccer is by far the most popular game

MiguelAngel on June 27, 2010 at 12:47 PM

Fed45 on June 28, 2010 at 2:02 AM

I dunno about Ghana, Allah, but you need to put an “Update” for all of us who were on Twitter and rejoiced at the elimination of all those teams that badmouthed us after we were eliminated. One by one by one. I missed the Argentina vs. Mexico game but followed it on Twitter and boatloads of soap were needed, in all languages.

My favorite tweet was about Nancy Reagan and her campaign of “Say No To Drugs” and how that did NOT affect Diego Maradona in any way ;)

ProudPalinFan on June 28, 2010 at 7:43 AM

toliver on June 27, 2010 at 10:31 PM

You said “And America is different from the world. American exceptionalism is not a theory, but rather a fact.”

We are talking about a sport , just a sport , but you continue with your USA againts the world attitude .

And maybe that is why you feel “threatened” by a sport , because you want to keep that “exceptionalism idea “, so you hate soccer because you identify it with europe and other things , and it is something that would show you that , as people , we are not different as you think .
There are many people in the USA that like soccer , people that indetify soccer with good values as any other sport , even american values as Donovan said , etc

Believe me , you are not “excepcional” just for you like baseball and you don’t like soccer , the same that nobody is “excepctional” for all the contrary …. because , IT IS JUST A SPORT !!! you like it or not , plain and simple .

The exceptionalism of the uSA exist in other ways , for example the USA position as the greatest superpower, their position as “the good guys” against global threats as terrorism (position I respect and support undoubitably) etc
But there is not exceptionalism because you like a sport or not !!! it is childish and ludicrous , no matter how you see it .IT IS A SPORT !!

Anyway , soccer is not some kind of threat to the USA excptionalism ,BECAUSE IT IS JUST A SPORT !!!

MiguelAngel on June 28, 2010 at 9:18 AM

MiguelAngel on June 28, 2010 at 9:18 AM

toliver on June 28, 2010 at 9:24 AM

WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Everybody hurts, man.

Redhead Infidel on June 28, 2010 at 9:26 AM

smellthecoffee on June 27, 2010 at 10:39 PM

You said “You’re wrong about all fans being equally closed-minded. Do you realize that basketball almost died before the 24 second clock was introduced?”

If those changes you suggest came in , surely lots of people will lose interest about soccer ( me for example), because it won’t be the same , as it happened in your basketball example .
In fact the changes you suggest would be by far more profound than the example you are talking about , and surely soccer fans won’t take the time to watch soccer if it change in that way.

So your example about basketball could be a good example to use in my favour , because FIFA and everybody knows that the changes in football won’t be welcome , and just could be minimal changes ( goal referees for example , it could be fine ), but not changes as those you suggest , cause as I explain before , it would hurt the most important part ot the game , and that is not just to score a goal , but what happens to score that goal .It would hurt the good teams and good soccer , and would reward bad teams and simple and ugly soccer.

And I could understand you could believe now that it would be better your way , but I guess that you will change your mimd about it if those changes came in , you will find soccer even more boring that you find it now .

Even with its flaws people like it ,people accept its flaws because they know that radical changes would be worst.

You say too -”seriously penalizing diving all would really help fix what’s wrong with soccer”

Diving is penaliazed seriously , but because the penalization is serious , the referee don’t want to aply it always if he is not sure about it.
It should be a yellow card if you dive in the area ( or box as some of you say) 2 yellow card and you are out, so the referee want to be sure about the intention of diving to fool , or just falling unintentionally as it is usual .

But diving it is penalized in other way too, because it is not good for a player to dive … because the fans don’t like it and that make him “lose credibility” (peter and the wolf sort of thing ¬¬ ) .

Anyway , some changes could be fine , radical changes no
( you people in the USA should know that not always the “CHANGE!” is good , especially the radical ones ¬¬’ )

MiguelAngel on June 28, 2010 at 9:31 AM

toliver on June 28, 2010 at 9:24 AM

You said “Yeah, I know “it’s just a sport” [that Americans have evolved past], but if you feel that way, what’s with all the long-*ss posts defending it?”

They are long-.ss post because I can reasoning what I am talking about and I can explaint it profoundly ¬¬… and because, seriouly … I try to be brief , but I can’t , Sorry about the long tirades .

And I am not really defending soccer , the long tirades are about how wrong you are for attacking soccer … because … IT IS JUST A SPORT !!!!

MiguelAngel on June 28, 2010 at 9:37 AM

titus_pullo on June 27, 2010 at 6:28 PM

It is nice to see a comment as yours around here . You are right in everything (well , maybe you are too harsh about Altidore … ¬¬ )

You said – ” I totally reject the idea that anyone of these sports is of greater worth or better than the other.”

That is the idea,why is so difficult to understand for some people around here ? They are just a few people anyway .

You say too -”You are not any better or worse for not liking a sport. It’s a sport”

That is what I try to explain and some people here don’t want to understand because it seems they want to turn it into a competition to feel “superior” or something by demeaning other peoples taste about sports. It is childish and nonsense .

And your analisis of the game , it is a good analisis .I agree with you .
About Altidore you say -”His control and first touch leave an awful lot to be desired”

In fact sometimes he was even “enerving”, I mean , sometimes there were several players giving him good options to pass the ball , but he usually chosses the bad option , spend to much time until he passes or simply continue with the ball until he lose it in a futile way .

But he has good characteristics too ,for example he is fast and strong , he could improve or maybe he could do better in other task .

Anyway , a pure striker and a fast thinking “hook”, that is what the USA need make differences .

MiguelAngel on June 28, 2010 at 9:46 AM

I don’t know if it was projection … but I hope it was not premonition ^^’

MiguelAngel on June 27, 2010 at 8:48 PM

I believe it will be a very exciting game. Great “football”, no matter who wins.

“it’s just a sport” [that Americans have evolved past],

Don’t be obtuse. A sport is a sport, and soccer is a great sport – very grueling, requiring remarkable athleticism, speed, agility. The only reason why soccer is not yet widely promoted in the US is because the US advertising community hasn’t figured out how to squeeze in 100 commercials into 90 minutes of play. American football has become so commercialized it is unwatchable.

runner on June 28, 2010 at 9:57 AM

Fed45 on June 28, 2010 at 2:02 AM

You said “And rice is eaten by billions of people in the world. Doesn’t mean it’s the best food.
If the streets in your country are lined with chickens and rubble, and Sally Struthers is playing with the kids, it is very likely your country is a soccer power.”

Someone said my point about people making “USA versus the world, mine is better than yours” discussions were silly . So it is fine for me that people like you continue to show how right my point were .

First , I did not say that soccer is the best sport ,you are using a straw man .
In fact I criticize all the time those who like you are trying to turn this into a discussion about mine is better than yours, so don’t be dishonest and don’t use straw mans against me .

It is you and a few others who are talking about “which is better” , who are trying to compare sports to make nonsensical “extrapolations” about others things , values or politics for example .

titus_pullo as many other here undertand it perfectly , why it is so difficult to you to understand it ???

And it is likely that in those streets flooded with chickens there are people playing football .That is because soccer is not only the most popular sport and it is played everywhere ,in your country , in my country , in undevelopment countries … but it is also like this because in those undeveloped countries where the wild chickens run free in the streets … the people that live there maybe they have nothing because they are poor ,but those people just need a ball to play soccer .

I have said before that football is the most succesful example of globalization .But it is too the most wide example or something you call “american dream”.

For me the american dream is to be free and nobody limit your opportunities , especially when you deserve those opportunities and work form them .
So that is what soccer offers to those poor people too ,it offers a opportunity (just a few achive it) where there are not oppotunities .Some brazilian players that came from the favelas are a good example of that.

So if someone still want to talk about “better or worst” , values or things like that , maybe you could realize that soccer has more to do with your politics and values than against them, the same than most sports, even as most of the sport soccer has also bad things around it sometimes.

Anyway , read titus pullo’s comment , maybe if you read it from someone that is not european you could be less affected by prejudices and you could understand it better .

Now I must go out to the street , I need to hunt some wild chickens for dinner before the night falls … cause then the chupacabras maybe be wandering in the shadows ¬¬ .
Oh , and if I don’t return … avenge my death !!!
( instead of avenge my death I guess some of you would celebrate it … ¬¬)

I like to write and discuss here , and I thank everyone that takes the time to read me ,but it was enought for that thread I guess .
Bye everybody .

MiguelAngel on June 28, 2010 at 10:03 AM

Even the referees are a vision of grace. Ooh la la.

And this game between Germany and Greece is probably as exciting a match-up as any I’ve ever seen in soccer.

Redhead Infidel on June 28, 2010 at 11:06 AM

smellthecoffee on June 27, 2010 at 10:39 PM

Some excellent points!

Re the Ghana-USA game, although I cheered for USA like everybody here, Ghana deserved to win this match–they were much better passers for most of the game. There probably was a blown call between the USA’s goal and the end of regulation, when a USA player broke away, but a Ghana defender repeatedly pulled on his arm from behind in the penalty area, which probably SHOULD have been called for a penalty kick.

I agree with many posters here that soccer SHOULD do away with the off-side rule, which is very difficult to enforce fairly. If a linesman is constantly running up and down the sideline trying to see whether an offensive player is behind all defenders at the time a ball is kicked from further back, there are bound to be lots of blown calls. If the purpose of the off-side rule is to prevent an offensive player from hanging around the goal waiting for a long pass, they could use a “blue line” like in ice hockey, where no offensive players can cross a given line before the ball, then let them run for it once the ball crosses the line.

Another problem is the tendency for teams ahead in the score to stall and “run out the clock”. This could be partially resolved by having the clock stop every time a foul is committed, the ball goes out of bounds, or a player is injured or substituted, to be restarted only when the ball is put in play (throw-in, goal kick, corner kick, free kick).

Another rule which could discourage stalling would be to prevent a team from passing backward across the midfield line (there’s a similar rule in basketball), to be sanctioned by a free kick for the opponents from midfield.

The 24-second rule in basketball, the DH rule in baseball, and allowing two-line passes in ice hockey has made all these sports more exciting to watch. However, most of these sports are dominated by the American market (ice hockey has a strong Canadian fan base), while soccer is played all over the world, and it would be more difficult to make rule changes, when some countries might prefer the current rules.

Steve Z on June 28, 2010 at 11:26 AM

I hope our soccer boys each got a trophy to take home. They were just so courageous!

Sweet_Thang on June 28, 2010 at 12:09 PM

I’m waiting for the World Cup of Curling. Now THAT would be compelling sports drama!

Sweet_Thang on June 28, 2010 at 12:24 PM

You guys are in a snit about a 3rd world sport? Who cares!

tomshup on June 28, 2010 at 1:42 PM

Could…not…care…less.

Carl on June 28, 2010 at 3:26 PM

What’s this? You guys mean to tell me that America has a soccer team? Why?

I guess obama is trying to complete America’s transformation into a 3rd world country. Can’t have a 3rd world country w/o “futbol.”

JeffVader on June 29, 2010 at 3:45 AM