Rainy Day Bloggers #49 & #65

posted at 1:36 pm on June 25, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Finally, a club both Allahpundit and I can join!  We are among the 100 Americans featured in July’s Townhall Magazine that are “most hated by the Left,” with my esteemed partner in blogging at #65 and me at #49.  The Boss Emeritus holds the #6 position, but coming in at #1 is exactly who’d you expect:

As we have watched the ongoing fight in America over the direction of the country, the actions of the Obama administration and Democratic Congress, and the efforts of the tea party movement, the Townhall editorial team has noticed a disturbing pattern: the American Left is trashing everyone who dares to stand against them.

The more effective the voices that oppose their agenda, the greater the venom the Left spews in their direction. It’s this out-of-control behavior from our fellow citizens who are sold out to the ultraliberal progressive Obama agenda to “radically transform” the United States that led us to create this list of “The 100 Americans the Left Hates Most.”

The Townhall editorial staff compiled a massive list of those we believe have the largest bull’s-eyes painted on them by the Left and the Democrat-dominated government. From that list, through a process of voting, debating and prioritizing, we assembled the final 100. There were only two absolute requirements: 1) They had to be living, which is why Ronald Reagan and William F. Buckley Jr. are not featured; and 2) they had to be American, which explains Mark Steyn and the Pope’s absence from the list.

The five conservatives who outranked Michelle Malkin in targeting by the Left, in ascending order:

• Ann Coulter
  • George W. Bush
  • Rush Limbaugh
  • Sarah Palin
  • Glenn Beck

Why does Beck get the top spot?  Townhall explains:

But it wasn’t just Beck’s joining the Democrats’ most-hated network that has driven liberals to hysteria and resulted in some sort of mental condition that causes them to go into conniption fits at the mere mention of his name in even casual conversation. (Just try uttering the words “Glenn Beck” within earshot of your favorite—or least favorite—leftist and see what happens.)

No, it’s more than Beck becoming one of Roger Ailes’ minions— much more. It’s also about more than the fact that he has a massive radio and TV audience of millions. Beck’s real sin is that he has successfully combined his concern for the direction of this country—a direction currently being dominated by progressives who hate what America has been—with a powerful defense of American exceptionalism and a passion for the Founding Fathers and the system of government and nation they created to produce a show that both educates and entertains.  (Seriously, not just anybody can get Americans riled up about Woodrow Wilson and launch F.A. Hayek’s “Road to Serfdom” to the No. 1 spot on Amazon’s best-seller list.)

Now, I have to stipulate that I don’t feel particularly hated; most of my interactions with political and ideological opponents has been at least professional and usually respectful, with a couple of exceptions hardly worth noting.  Still, it’s a pleasure to be mentioned in the same list as some of the people I admire, and with such great friends and mentors as Michelle, Rush, and Hugh Hewitt — whom I notice is less hated than me, but more hated than Allahpundit.   Must be that whole Cleveland Browns thing.  And you know who that helps, right?

So who do you think belongs on this list, and in what order?  Be sure to let us know in the comments!  And also be sure to get your copy of this list by subscribing to Townhall Magazine.  It features a monthly Hot Air conversation between Allahpundit and me exclusive to the magazine, as well as terrific in-depth writing on all of the hot issues of the day.

Note: Hot Air is a subsidiary of Salem Communications, which also publishes Townhall Magazine.  And yes, apologies to Bob Dylan for the post headline.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Falz on June 25, 2010 at 2:06 PM

Maybe it’s just me, but I would have listed Barney Frank twice. Anyone else?

manwithblackhat on June 25, 2010 at 3:36 PM

What troglodyte wrote #37 and thought their second paragraph would be funny?

I’m assuming the intention was to poke fun at how leftists insult Mr. Sowell, but it sounds more like the writer is a tone-deaf at best, engaging in some kind of tokenism, and at worst shows a degree of condescension or even racism.

Really, what the f*ck were they thinking with that second paragraph?

Unless Frances Fox Piven is writing the article (starts around the 4 min mark). Maybe she finally met a pollster.

CPL 310 on June 25, 2010 at 3:53 PM

I see Allahpundit made the list but which iteration of Allahpundit is it? The original Allahpundit who was at allahpundit.com was a comedy master with his photoshop photo-strips. His work made Iowahawk look like a depressed Ben Stein. His photo-strip of John ‘Big Hands’ Kerry was the funniest thing ever seen on the internet, bar-none. He had health problems, though, and went blank in ’04 IIRC. Then, a couple years later an Allahpundit shows up on HA. Is it the same Allahpundit? If so, where are the photo-strips that were his signature work? AP, if you are the real Allahpundit get out your photoshop and get to work. If not, buckle down, learn PS and show us your funny side. You’re not living up to the name Allahpundit.

lonesomecharlie on June 25, 2010 at 3:53 PM

Poor Ace at AOSHQ. Beat out completely, including by a beta-male.

Wethal on June 25, 2010 at 1:47 PM

I know, right?!!? Where is Dr. Laura? Debbie Schlussel?

At least Michael Savage was on the list.

SouthernGent on June 25, 2010 at 3:59 PM

Congrats to Morrisey and Allahpundit.

I’m not sure some of these people are really hated on the Left.

And while it may be an unpopular opinion here, I’d add McCain to the list. Plenty of liberals hate him for his temerity of running against Obama in the General Election and can’t understand why he often opposes the President in high profile ways. They’ll blame pettiness and the Hayworth primary challenge, when there may be other causes (For the majority of his career, he hasn’t had the Democrats in the White House and majorities of both houses of Congress, so it’s absolutely reasonable for even a center-right candidate to oppose a left-wing agenda more than a right-wing agenda. He’s one degree removed from W, but several degrees removed from Obama/ Pelosi/ Reid.)

Plus, if it weren’t for him, Palin wouldn’t be as high up on the list. And many on the left hate for him that (and use his choice as a justification to hate on him.)

Mister Mets on June 25, 2010 at 4:17 PM

Simply the fact that there are 100 people who are conservative enough and famous enough to name is encouraging. To extend the list, just include the names of every truly conservative politician, currently in office or yet to be elected. Add every conservative reader of HA, Townhall, the boss emeritus’s blog, and any other conservative site, and the list would contain millions of names. The point that the greater the effectiveness of the person, the more hyperbolic the hatred by the (tolerant) left, just demonstrates the rightness of our position. It is truly amusing to watch the left go apoplectic and then self destruct, e.g. Arizona is a ways off from the border. I’m enjoying the spectacle of the left being exposed as nitwits, morons, and brainless ideologues.

College Prof on June 25, 2010 at 4:21 PM

So who do you think belongs on this list, and in what order?

The American Soldier deserves at least an honorable mention.

malclave on June 25, 2010 at 4:35 PM

I agree Tammy Bruce should be on the list, but what about Walter Williams and Shelby Steele?

Steve H in AZ on June 25, 2010 at 4:36 PM

Congrats to both of you.

I’m with those who question how anyone could hate Ed, and would also add AP to that. It goes to show that some can be hated, not for being hateful, but for telling inconvenient truths.

mikeyboss on June 25, 2010 at 4:42 PM

The primary attribute of the dingbat left is that they hate those they disagree with. They hate us all.

I think they are all dingbats. So there!

Really Right on June 25, 2010 at 3:34 PM

Hate, demonization and ridicule are ALL they have.

ddrintn on June 25, 2010 at 4:46 PM

Tim Tebow… O.o Yeah, a kid who loves God and is an advocate for life…gotta hate that. Leftists are truly sick.

pannw on June 25, 2010 at 5:27 PM

Here’s a photo they can use!

Dusty on June 25, 2010 at 1:54 PM

Instant crack up! Now every time I read AP I’ll have that photo in my mind.

Gang-of-One on June 25, 2010 at 5:41 PM

Only good thing is that the world is bankrupt. They did it to themselves, with overzealous programs.

May they hate themselves…gnat brains are not capable to think that far.

Schadenfreude on June 25, 2010 at 5:47 PM

Great Top 10!

Most Underrated: #46 David Horowitz.

Born and raised a Commie, an active revolutionary in the sixties, now in the Vanguard of the Right. I know the hard core marxist intelligentsia loath this great American.

Gang-of-One on June 25, 2010 at 5:55 PM

Congrats Ed and AP, if you are going to be on a list, this is not a bad one to be one. Keep dropping the hammer, see how much you both can move up.

Hog Wild on June 25, 2010 at 6:15 PM

“on”… dammit.

Hog Wild on June 25, 2010 at 6:16 PM

lonesomecharlie on June 25, 2010 at 3:53 PM

I can still work up a chuckle thinking of the old AP’s strips of those Howard Dean pancake breakfasts!
Remember those?

Gee, I hope he archived ‘em.

Jenfidel on June 25, 2010 at 6:20 PM

Most Underrated: #46 David Horowitz

Born and raised Commie. Dedicated Marxist revolutionary during the sixties. Woke up. Dedicated himself to exposing the enemies within. Now in the Vanguard of the American Right.

Sure, the average ObamaZombie has no clue to who he is, but the Commie Intelligentsia and their university minions consider him to be their Benedict Arnold.

Gang-of-One on June 25, 2010 at 6:24 PM

Congrats to Ed, Allahpundit, and Michelle Malkin. You are in good company of some of best clear thinkers in the US.
Even WSJ’s “Best of the Web” has been linking to HotAir for some of its squibs.

onlineanalyst on June 25, 2010 at 6:27 PM

Apologies for multiple post. Thought first post got eaten.

Gang-of-One on June 25, 2010 at 6:37 PM

Congrats to Michelle, Ed, and Allah, ,and you other Tea Party Patriots. Myself and friends went to Washington and Nashville and am excited about all the Tea Party Patriots that are getting ready to vote in November. We go to our daily jobs supporting the financial backbone of this country and the media says our enthusiasm is waning. Ha. November can not get here quick enough.

texriot on June 25, 2010 at 6:45 PM

For my part, I do not hate the Left, I simply want it destroyed.

Now, now! What’s all this talk about hating the Left!? How about we just give them all great big Ethridge-type hugs around the windpipe?

drunyan8315 on June 25, 2010 at 6:56 PM

For my part, I do not hate the Left, I simply want it destroyed.

drunyan8315 on June 25, 2010 at 6:56 PM

Can’t we ship them all to France?

Mangy Scot on June 25, 2010 at 7:01 PM

Greg Gutfeld of Red Eye should be on the list.

How about Miss California?

Neil Cavuto? Megyn Kelly?

LurkerDood on June 25, 2010 at 7:15 PM

With all the defending of the left, surprised they made the list.

koolbrease on June 25, 2010 at 7:20 PM

Jenfidel on June 25, 2010 at 6:20 PM

Oh yeah! They were classic. I really miss the old Allahpundit. I’m sure this one ain’t him. He shouldn’t have used the name – unless it was bequeathed to him on Allahpundit’s death bed. I think his health problem was AIDS and he passed away. If so – RIP big guy you were the gold standard of photo-stip humor.

I’m trying to get an answer from the AP Allahpundit on this but no luck so far. Hope it doesn’t get me banned but I just gotta know.

lonesomecharlie on June 25, 2010 at 7:32 PM

Michael Savage is much more hated than Michelle Malkin… Savage should have been in the top 6 or 7 at least. What about Joseph Farah the head of World Net Daily where many of the hated personalities get their most controversial investigaive stories… Also major bonus points to Farah for continuing to push the largest open secret in DC and MSM outlets about every story that has to do with the fact the Usurper in Chief paying millions and passing executive orders to keep every aspect about his past under wraps.

How could they forget Jesus and Christians???

LOL at the whole list. I’m positive if every faction of the conservative movement published a list would look entirely different in names and ranks except Beck, Rush, Palin, Tea Party, Coulter, Hannity, Bush, and Cheney.

Watching_Cloward-Piven on June 25, 2010 at 7:40 PM

Hot Air puts the rest of the right-blogging world to shame. Many right-talkers and bloggers borrow their topics from HA, that is obvious. The copy-editing alone makes this blog more readable than most.

Also, the left really should fear AOSHQ.

The Race Card on June 25, 2010 at 7:43 PM

Tip of the hat to you, sir.

Hening on June 25, 2010 at 7:49 PM

Maddoggit, I don’t “get” the thread title. What am I missing?

L.N. Smithee on June 25, 2010 at 8:33 PM

Watching_Cloward-Piven on June 25, 2010 at 7:40 PM

I don’t count Savage as a conservative since 2006, when he donated $5600.00 to Jerry Brown for his CA Attorney General campaign (over a conservative Republican at that).

L.N. Smithee on June 25, 2010 at 8:40 PM

Maddoggit, I don’t “get” the thread title. What am I missing?

L.N. Smithee on June 25, 2010 at 8:33 PM.

It’s a spin on a Bob Dylan song: Rainy Day Women #12 and #35.

Gang-of-One on June 25, 2010 at 8:45 PM

S.E. Cupp comes in at #98, but do we get a pic? Noooooo. But we do get Michael Medved & Ken Blackwell. Gee, thanks, guys. Someone needs to talk to the marketing folks at Townhall mag.

L.N. Smithee on June 25, 2010 at 8:45 PM

It’s a spin on a Bob Dylan song: Rainy Day Women #12 and #35.

Gang-of-One on June 25, 2010 at 8:45 PM

The chorus goes, “Everybody must get stoned!”

Ed Morrissey on June 25, 2010 at 9:19 PM

The chorus goes, “Everybody must get stoned!”

Ed Morrissey on June 25, 2010 at 9:19 PM

Indeed, Ed. I wore out more than one Dylan album way back when I was a Laid-back California beach bum—except I never inhaled!

Gang-of-One on June 25, 2010 at 9:28 PM

Congratulations you two. AP probably gained spots though since he no longer proselytizes Atheism. But he has moved down my list of people who annoy me since he’s cut back on talking about his own faith so much. Thank you AP.

NotCoach on June 25, 2010 at 9:31 PM

Neal Boortz should have made this list

painfulTruthDisciple on June 25, 2010 at 10:54 PM

NotCoach on June 25, 2010 at 9:31 PM

You mean lack thereof.

Makes no difference that he doesn’t talk about being an atheist – his writings disclose that he is a man of no faith. I feel sorry for him.

disa on June 25, 2010 at 11:15 PM

disa on June 25, 2010 at 11:15 PM

He is a man of faith. Atheism is a faith. Anyone who convinces themselves they must persuade others to their faith are in fact practicing a religion.

There are probably very few true nonreligious atheists. And you or I probably aren’t aware of any of them. A true nonreligious atheist would never care to try and convert you from believing in God.

NotCoach on June 25, 2010 at 11:25 PM

Cheers to ED, AP, and Michelle!

TN Mom on June 26, 2010 at 12:44 AM

Ed Morrissey is less liked by the Left than Rand Paul? I doubt it.

The Dean on June 26, 2010 at 2:22 AM

With the current state of the American Left, I consider being hated by them to be a badge of honor.

Embrace it, Ed. Their anger will only make you stronger.

Cylor on June 26, 2010 at 3:26 AM

I bet I would get on the list if those illiberals heard what I have to say. I would be talking for a long time and they would have to be strapped down to prevent them from fleeing the truth venue.

We are talking an extra helping of piece of mind and no teleprompter need apply.

Then I would force the illiberals to watch the film 300 and point out that Xerxes is them.

I bet many of you would be on the list, too, by the way!

Sherman1864 on June 26, 2010 at 3:55 AM

Doesn’t the left hate everyone who disagrees with them? Why bother with a list? It would be too big.

zoyclem on June 26, 2010 at 7:23 AM

The word “hate” is a very strong word. It’s unfortunate that the left does really hate these people. Do they hate these people or their opinions? How do you hate someone you don’t personally know?

I don’t hate anyone, but do dislike, and consider dangerous to the Republic, several very left leaning Progressive Liberal individuals.

GFW on June 26, 2010 at 7:27 AM

I think it would be much easier to make a list of the Conservatives the Left DOESN’T hate. Here, I will start

1. Meghan McCain
2. Dave Wiegel
3. The esteemed Mr. Brooks

Dan Pet on June 26, 2010 at 9:27 AM

Hey. How do I get on that list? All my life asperations involve some form of being hated by the left.

percysunshine on June 26, 2010 at 9:36 AM

David Frum is ecstatic not to be on such a ghastly list!

Speedwagon82 on June 26, 2010 at 9:38 AM

Allahpundit? WTF???

LtE126 on June 26, 2010 at 10:07 AM

Do they hate these people or their opinions?

GFW on June 26, 2010 at 7:27 AM

I hate the philosophies, goals, and actions of any person who is hell bent on “fundamentally changing” our country into The Socialist Workers Utopia of America.

Consequently, I literally hate any person who embodies these things. I’m not enlightened enough not to, but good for those, such as yourself, who are.

Gang-of-One on June 26, 2010 at 10:08 AM

Looks more to be a list of intellectuals…

ericdijon on June 26, 2010 at 10:29 AM

Missing: Lila Rose; Parker & Stone (creators of South Park). They’re probably off the Left’s radar, but the writers who post at the American Thinker produce some really good work.

ya2daup on June 26, 2010 at 2:42 PM

WTH is the 100 progressives the right hates the most???

reshas1 on June 26, 2010 at 3:02 PM

How about you guys who post here regularly do a top 5 list of commenters. Setup your own categories.

mechkiller_k on June 26, 2010 at 4:40 PM

I find it interesting that leftists are referred to as “our fellow citizens.” They’re certainly not my countrymen.

leereyno on June 28, 2010 at 4:20 AM