Dem Rep says “minorities, defective[s]” not “average, good American people”

posted at 11:36 am on June 24, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

On one hand, Paul Kanjorski’s defenders can argue that the Democrat from Pennsylvania was attempting a bit of demagogic hyperbole in describing Republican attitudes towards welfare programs in his tirade yesterday, caught by C-SPAN3, Human Events, and Kerry Picket at the Washington Times. On the other hand, Kanjorski’s contention that “minorities” and “defective” constituents are somehow different than “average, good American people” certainly sounds less like hyperbolic irony and more like a projection of Kanjorski’s own bigotry.  It only takes Kanjorski less than a minute to run off the rails:

We’re giving relief to people that I deal with in my office every day now unfortunately. But because of the longevity of this recession, these are people — and they’re not minorities and they’re not defective and they’re not all the things you’d like to insinuate that these programs are about — these are average, good American people.

Stephen Gutowski wonders whether the media will treat this with as much attention as if a Republican had said it:

I’m sure that the media will jump all over this indisputable video evidence of a rep with a D next to his name saying something racist. Just like they did when there was indisputable video evidence of a rep with a D next to his name assaulting someone on a public sidewalk. The media is always thorough and diligent when exposing corruption and disgrace within the Democratic party after all.

And I’m sure that Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton will be demanding Kanjorski apologize for his racist remarks and resign. You know, like they did with Joe Biden and Harry Reid. Surely Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton, being men of integrity and all, wont stand for a major political party in the United States to allow people who make dubious racial remarks stay in power.

This statement is a lot more concrete than George Allen’s “macaca moment,” and that got wall-to-wall coverage in the 2006 election cycle.  Kanjorski is running for re-election in his district, which makes this very similar to the “macaca” coverage.  Will the media provide the same level of exposure to a much more obvious (and deliberate) example of bigotry?

For that matter, the national media has clung to the Joe Barton apology to BP for days, even after almost every other Republican in Congress distanced themselves from it.  Doesn’t this seem a little more newsworthy?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Thanks, Ed.

ladyingray on June 24, 2010 at 1:16 PM

The Democrat Party has always been the party of the four S’s: slavery, secession, segregation and socialism.

N. O'Brain on June 24, 2010 at 1:25 PM

This post is highly disingenuous.

The man clealy said “…that you would like to insinuate”, so the list he gave that included “minorities” and “defectives” was clearly meant to be a role that he was saying Republicans would state. He attibutes those words to Republicans.

I strongly disagee with Kanjorski, but to claim his comments are racist is simply wrong.

A distortion is a distortion, even when it comes from a conservative.

Ed should be ashamed for propagating it.

notagool on June 24, 2010 at 1:28 PM

The man clealy [sic] said “…that you would like to insinuate”, so the list he gave that included “minorities” and “defectives” was clearly meant to be a role that he was saying Republicans would state. He attibutes [sic] those words to Republicans.

Ed should be ashamed for propagating it.

notagool on June 24, 2010 at 1:28 PM

But Ed specifically covered your interpretive theory:

so you can’t claim that Ed is distorting a damned thing.

The Monster on June 24, 2010 at 1:41 PM

notagool on June 24, 2010 at 1:28 PM

You just snared yourself in the same web.

You should actually try to read a little of the post before you dive headfirst in the hole like a gofer.

On one hand, Paul Kanjorski’s defenders can argue that the Democrat from Pennsylvania was attempting a bit of demagogic hyperbole in describing Republican attitudes towards welfare programs in his tirade yesterday…On the other hand, Kanjorski’s contention that “minorities” and “defective” constituents are somehow different than “average, good American people” certainly sounds less like hyperbolic irony and more like a projection of Kanjorski’s own bigotry.

We expect a better class of troll and Moby around here.

TheBigOldDog on June 24, 2010 at 1:47 PM

notagool on June 24, 2010 at 1:28 PM

To Captain Ed’s defense what Kanjorski said and how Kanjorski chose to say it are quite explicit.

Kanjorski’s statement clearly groups “minorities” and “defective” together in an inclusive manner of those “you’d insinuate these programs are about” whilst addressing “good, American people” as those in a manner exclusionary to those “you’d insinuate these programs are about”. Thus how Kanjorski chooses to isolate groups within his mind reveals a dysfunction within. Whether that is a Freudian slip or poor word choice is debatable yet it certainly reveals how Kanjorski’s mind had categorized bad guys versus good guys before his lips expelled those inept phrasings.

viking01 on June 24, 2010 at 1:52 PM

viking01 on June 24, 2010 at 1:52 PM

Say…didn’t Hitler feel the same way towards Jews, and those with disabilities?

capejasmine on June 24, 2010 at 1:55 PM

TheBigOldDog on June 24, 2010 at 1:47 PM

notagool isn’t a troll, he just see it differently.

Cindy Munford on June 24, 2010 at 1:59 PM

The part that bothered me is “they live pay check to pay check and they always will”. Government takes care of pay raises and promotes the instant gratification of all wants.

Cindy Munford on June 24, 2010 at 2:08 PM

viking01 on June 24, 2010 at 1:52 PM

Say…didn’t Hitler feel the same way towards Jews, and those with disabilities?

capejasmine on June 24, 2010 at 1:55 PM

My intent is mostly to indicate support for Capt. Ed’s criticism of Kanjorski as stated by his article.

I don’t think I’d take it quite so far as 1930′s Europe analogy since Kanjorski sounds to be of Polish ancestry likely having considerable conscious and subconscious awareness of what happened to relatives under Nazism there. However, it is troubling that Kanjorski chose to imply minorities and “defectives” versus good Americans by grouping the first two together as separate from the latter.

viking01 on June 24, 2010 at 2:21 PM

Time for a sidewalk Q&A with video camera.

Paging Jason Mattera…..please pick up the courtesy phone.

R Square on June 24, 2010 at 2:26 PM

We expect a better class of troll and Moby around here.

TheBigOldDog on June 24, 2010 at 1:47 PM

I’m with Cindy, they’re not a troll, they just don’t agree with Ed that this is (soft) racism. I don’t as well.

I noticed no one responded to my earlier post, maybe I was too abstract. Or maybe Hot Air doesn’t care about Venn diagrams.

LastRick on June 24, 2010 at 2:37 PM

LastRick on June 24, 2010 at 2:37 PM

That’s like algebra!

Cindy Munford on June 24, 2010 at 2:41 PM

That’s like algebra!

Cindy Munford on June 24, 2010 at 2:41 PM

Sorry, is my academia showing? :)

LastRick on June 24, 2010 at 2:55 PM

Lou Barletta is running against Rep. Kanjorski in November.

Check out Barletta’s web site here:

It looks like Lou Barletta is very strong on defending us from ILLEGAL immigration.

If you live in Pennsylvania’s 11th District, please let us know if you think Lou Barletta can defeat Rep. Kanjorski.

It is time to VOTE REP. KANJORSKI OUT OF OFFICE!

wren on June 24, 2010 at 3:37 PM

The media is very selective about who it wish to go into a frenzy over racist thoughts and attitude.

They wont’ go after a racist Democrat but will go after a supposedly racist Republican.

The only exception is Ron PauL. The media won’t go after Ron Paul because he espouses some of the liberal positions and conspiracy theories even though there’s quit a bit of evidence Ron Paul is a racist:

(1) has pictures taken with Don Black, a well known white supremacist, and his son
(2) there is a photo of Ron Paul signing an autograph for Ron Black’s son, Derek Black.
(3) accepted donations from a white supremacist group and refused to return the money
(4) the racist literature he wrote and or distributed for almost 20 years between 1978 and 1995
(5)Micheal Medved gave Ron Paul the chance to dismiss all the accusations that he’s a racist and challenged him to distance himself from racist groups…he has never done so.

Conservative Samizdat on June 24, 2010 at 3:44 PM

LastRick on June 24, 2010 at 2:37 PM

You do understand, I hope, that the use of categorical logic to support the notion that a politician perhaps didn’t mean something the way it sounded is rather weak? If we relied solely on deductive reasoning to make arguments, there wouldn’t be much to discuss.

VerbumSap on June 24, 2010 at 3:46 PM

It’s easy to define Obama in terms of Set Theory.

He’s always the empty one.

viking01 on June 24, 2010 at 4:21 PM

VerbumSap on June 24, 2010 at 3:46 PM

Oh, I understand alright and, as I also said above, show me more explicit evidence and I’m right in line with you. But “racism” is a pretty strong term to throw around and IMHO probably should be exempt from this kind of conjecture. I mean, it’s one thing to read between the lines of someone’s dialogue and conclude, you know, I think they secretly like cake. It’s another thing to conclude they’re secretly racist.

LastRick on June 24, 2010 at 4:39 PM

Kanjorski’s contention that “minorities” and “defective” constituents are somehow different than “average, good American people” certainly sounds less like hyperbolic irony and more like a projection of Kanjorski’s own bigotry. It only takes Kanjorski less than a minute to run off the rails:

That should illustrate to conservatives why standing by George Allen rather than dumping on him would have been the wiser and better political thing to do. It isn’t as if kissing off Allen proved any Republican virtue to the Democrats. MACACA, it took the story breaking for me to learn of the word. Allen was being rudely perpetually harrassed, and had every right to call the turdy coward out. It’s as if Republicans feel the compulsion in politics to act like middle-aged paranoid and frigid virgins when a conservative proves human instead of being made of marble.

maverick muse on June 24, 2010 at 5:06 PM

As spoken by a Democrat from Pennsylvania, not a Southern state.

maverick muse on June 24, 2010 at 5:11 PM

LastRick on June 24, 2010 at 4:39 PM

Okay. I disagree with you about the strength of the term, but I appreciate that you can have higher standards for whether a statement sounds racist to you or not. You were wondering why no one had responded to your earlier comment, though, and suggested it was “too abstract”. I was simply offering an alternate explanation.

VerbumSap on June 24, 2010 at 6:11 PM

Question: What does a defective person look like? Is that one of those freaks who used to be on Futurama?

madmonkphotog on June 24, 2010 at 6:52 PM

You really think this guy’s going to be strung up? Sheets Byrd is still doing his thing.

Slap on the wrist, and nothing more.

Ryan Anthony on June 24, 2010 at 8:02 PM

Cue the Palin Facebook post about “DEFECTIVES” AND a ringing ENDORSEMENT of this idiot’s opponent in 5….4….3..

Dan Pet on June 24, 2010 at 8:14 PM

This post is highly disingenuous.

A distortion is a distortion, even when it comes from a conservative.

Ed should be ashamed for propagating it.

notagool on June 24, 2010 at 1:28 PM

Worth repeating. My sentiments, Exactly.

nationspatriotcom on June 24, 2010 at 8:56 PM

Hope this doesn’t get me banned, but certain types of minorities are WAY overrepresented on the welfare roles and in our prisons. It is this way in every industrialized nation with concentrations of them.

Come to your own conclusions, but this issue needs to be addressed creatively, and soon, or the West will collapse as these populations increase. Look to Bill Cosby for ideas, he is one of the first to address the issue without becoming a pariah.

The truth has to be told.

scotash on June 24, 2010 at 8:59 PM

Ed should be ashamed for propagating it.

notagool on June 24, 2010 at 1:28 PM

But Ed specifically covered your interpretive theory:
so you can’t claim that Ed is distorting a damned thing.

The Monster on June 24, 2010 at 1:41 PM

For posterity… the HEADLINE suggests otherwise. And I’m no troll, either.
I listened to the clip, READ the content, and the man (while maybe suggesting the GOP has those issues) didn’t come across as “propagating them” himself.
And before the arguments of “Him suggesting that the GOP has those issues by mere assertion indicates Ed’s point” – NO, it doesn’t. The Headline is out of order, & that’s what I (and certainly notagool) were addressing.

nationspatriotcom on June 24, 2010 at 9:04 PM

Hmmmm, D-E-F-E-C-T-I-V-E-S, defectives, now there is some storied nomenclature for you!
As in:

“To assume the medical care — with all your professional skill — of the body of the people which has been entrusted to you, not only in the positive sense of furthering the propagation of the fit, but also in the negative sense of eliminating the unfit and defective. The methods by which racial hygiene proceeds are well known to you: control of marriage, propagation of the genetically fit whose genetic, biologic constitution promises healthy descendants: discouragement of breeding by individuals who do not belong together properly, whose races clash: finally, the exclusion of the genetically inferior from future generations by sterilization and other means.”

The Pernkopf anatomical atlas controversy: issues of Nazi medicine and medical ethics.
My! Such a revealing Freudian slip! It seems apropos given the Dr. Ezekiel Rahm’s involvement in the design of Obamacare, but just who might the honorable representative Paul Kanjorski have in mind?

Mike OMalley on June 24, 2010 at 9:07 PM

It seems pretty clear that the honorable representative Paul Kanjorski was engaging is rather vile demagoguery.

Mike OMalley on June 24, 2010 at 9:19 PM

Those who choose to live off the Government are defective, no matter what race they are. Their are some poor souls who have no choice, I do not include these persons in the “defective” category. Before the “new deal” (FDR) and the “great society” (LBJ) Families and Charities took much better care of the poor souls. They also were much better at discerning who “needed” the help and who did not.

IowaWoman on June 24, 2010 at 9:33 PM

The defense for this man is weak. He is just another of many on the left who do not see blacks and minorities as equals.

CWforFreedom on June 24, 2010 at 9:59 PM

CWforFreedom on June 24, 2010 at 9:59 PM

Indeed. It’s the metality that minorities and “defectives” are helpless without the government.

SouthernGent on June 24, 2010 at 11:20 PM

And the jerk HAD to be from Pennsylvania. Gee, MOVE ME OUTTA HERE!

Sir, those that you call “defective”, most of the time they TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THE SYSTEM. I don’t have to tell him where to get the info-but if he is such an ignorant tool I can pinpoint to the local office in my town. What’s worse, the staff knows it. They tell me.

So, as a wise Latina woman, who does not work because of the ultimate sacrifice I can give-my life, my family and bringing up my children with all my illnessesaway from my own blood-I am gonna pull a Mrs. Kerry and tell you to “shove it”.

And of course, goodbye!

ProudPalinFan on June 25, 2010 at 9:58 AM

I wanted to add that I don’t work because I don’t want to; I am happily married, and I am ill and even could qualify for disability-who knows?

What I mean to say is, I NEVER even got WIC with my two pregnancies-if I didn’t qualify, that’s the end of it-why make numbers up, or bring fake bills?

ProudPalinFan on June 25, 2010 at 10:20 AM

Be that as it may, I don’t want to be anywhere near a major city should the entitlement checks quit arriving.

Dr. ZhivBlago on June 26, 2010 at 3:12 AM