Gloria Steinem: You can’t be a feminist if you oppose legal abortion

posted at 9:37 pm on June 23, 2010 by Allahpundit

Yeah, I know: “Who cares? She’s irrelevant!” Even so, an interesting clip for two reasons. One: There’s no pretense with Steinem, as there is with her colleague, that abortion isn’t an absolute litmus test for feminism. If you support restricting the right to choose, your Girl Power merit badge is summarily revoked. Opposing sexism, endorsing equal pay for equal work, etc, are afterthoughts. Two: It’s fascinating to me that she feels no need to refine her abortion test according to motive. No distinction is made between someone who believes, say, that women are intellectually incapable of grappling with abortion and someone who’s studied the scientific literature and concluded in all good faith that terminating a pregnancy is tantamount to murder. Such is the cult of choice that a feminist in good standing apparently should support legal abortion notwithstanding her belief that it’s murder. That’s quite a moral hierarchy she’s got there. Viva progress.

Watch CBS News Videos Online

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

To the child being slaughtered a feminist is little more than a..dare I say it….terrorist!

Don L on June 24, 2010 at 8:33 AM

adamsmith on June 24, 2010 at 7:47 AM

I hope you don’t base your understanding of all issues based on your sampling of bumper stickers–they are not a terribly reliable way to gauge public opinion. And I hope you recognize the offensive nature of telling people if they don’t fit your narrow view of who has a right to an opinion that they should shut up. I’m sure you have an opinion about many issues in which you have no obvious skin in the game. And you should–in a republic, we determine our laws and the direction of our nation–our ideas have significant consequences.

Intelligent people always recognize the room for error, however, the more carefully one approaches any issue, using reason based in natural law, the less likely one is to err. It is absurd, however, to ask that people who believe human beings–including those in the womb–have a right to be left alone, exclude emotion from their views. One can experience emotion and still embrace reason.

DrMagnolias on June 24, 2010 at 8:38 AM

What else should you expect. The so-called “Feminists” hardly said a word when a standing Democratic President was accused of sexually harassing a woman. And later when there was significant evidence that the same Democratic President had actually Raped a woman, not a word. They still pretend that Juanita Broaddrick doesn’t exist. He may be a rapist, but he’s our Rapist.

willardcsmith on June 24, 2010 at 8:42 AM

Too bad her mother didn’t abort her

50sGuy on June 24, 2010 at 8:48 AM

Mary, I had a bad day and took it out on you. I apologize.

Jimbo3 on June 24, 2010 at 9:33 AM

–See above. Emily, don’t take it personally.

Jimbo3 on June 23, 2010 at 11:41 PM
How do this explain you telling me to go kill myself?

Emily M. on June 23, 2010 at 11:43 PM

–Sorry, Emily. I do apologize. I had no idea you were in High School and had suffered from depression. You should, though, consider whether it is a good idea for you to continue to read and post here, if you actually might take things said here about you to heart. This place can be a pretty rough place.

Jimbo3 on June 24, 2010 at 9:37 AM

Gloria is not very bright. (she was a Playboy sex picture)
Having an abortion is not very feminist in its core. It gets the man off the burden of responsiblility for child rearing and support. It helps men have sex without consequences. It gives males sexual pleasure and removes risk of price or pain. Abortion is positioned as a way for males to exploit women.

seven on June 24, 2010 at 9:38 AM

Jimbo3 on June 24, 2010 at 9:37 AM

Typical liberal. Nasty and cruel attitude. Threatening peoples lives is expected from wicked people. Remember leftists kill the unborn with con moral conscience. If these kill the unborn, why would sane humens expect them to respect adults?
Your apology is a lie. It is done for a sick ego to save face.

seven on June 24, 2010 at 9:42 AM

Jimbo3.
Abortion is taking a bad day out on millions of unborn babies. It creates a bad day for eternity. People with no moral foundation.
Moral humans can’t even wrap their head around the concept of killing the unborn.
Steinham has lived as a whore for money. Selling her nude body to generate lust in men for money is waht pro abortion women can justify. The selling price goes down with a baby bump and stretch marks. She has no moral fondation and thinks men are bad and takes no responsibility for her selling herself to lusts.

seven on June 24, 2010 at 9:47 AM

Mary, I had a bad day and took it out on you. I apologize.

Jimbo3 on June 24, 2010 at 9:33 AM

I read what you wrote last night. Your words were reprehensible.

If your words don’t represent who you are, if you were just having a “bad day”, maybe you’d do well to take a hiatus from HA. You’re clearly not able to separate the politics from the personal.

Emily, if you’re reading, I’m sorry you had to be exposed to those hateful words, and pray that they won’t make a ding in your psyche or self-worth. You are fearfully and wonderfully made. God bless you.

Grace_is_sufficient on June 24, 2010 at 9:48 AM

How many air-brained women would don a burkha if Gloria told them to. Gloria is talking to her Steinford wives here. These are just additional decades of “be a good girl and do what your told”. The only difference being who the master is.

I never signed up for the “girl power” badge. I like the ability to think for myself.

caygeon on June 24, 2010 at 10:00 AM

Jimbo3 on June 24, 2010 at 9:37 AM

Yeah, sorry I raped you ma’am, I was having a bad day. But if you’re the type who takes rape personally, I would recommend not walking down this particular alley. It can be a rough place…what with me raping people and all.

Lame, Jimbo. Lame.

DrAllecon on June 24, 2010 at 10:07 AM

DrAllecon on June 24, 2010 at 10:07 AM

I see we have both Jimbo and The Race Card giving Emily advice on how to properly conduct her on line life. Jimbo thinks she should go elsewhere because of people like him and TRC worries that HA people supporting her are perverts trying to exploit her. What a duo!

a capella on June 24, 2010 at 10:29 AM

LOL…Roger That!! Born stupid, mom clumsy…HaHa!

Dear Emily M.
I are glad that you are here, and know that your presence makes the world a better place.

Please disregard Jimbo3. He was born stupid, and his mother was clumsy.

sincerely Kelvin K.

Slowburn on June 24, 2010 at 7:10 AM

Parade on June 24, 2010 at 10:32 AM

Your apology is a lie. It is done for a sick ego to save face.

seven on June 24, 2010 at 9:42 AM

…..

Grace_is_sufficient on June 24, 2010 at 9:48 AM

-Why don’t you go tell the same to Madison Conservative. Or is it that you approve of what he said?

Jimbo3 on June 24, 2010 at 10:33 AM

Jimbo3 on June 24, 2010 at 10:33 AM

No, what he/she said was not okay; I hate this sort of behavior. How we treat each other matters. We each contribute to the atmosphere at HotAir.

DrMagnolias on June 24, 2010 at 10:41 AM

Abortion is a joke, as much of a joke as Steinem. Here we have a clown beclowning herself with a clown of an issue.

Abortion is nothing more than an excuse for conservatives and leftists to beat up on each other by using an issue that is all but irrelevant. The reason why it is so easy for so many people to have such polarizing strongly held beliefs about abortion is that it doesn’t affect them.

Issues that actually affect people will almost always produce a consensus sooner or later. Only when an issue has no real-world consequences can people become so polarized over it.

Abortion kills unborn children. It doesn’t kill anyone who is actually here and old enough to express an opinion about it, making the entire issue academic. This also makes it easy for people to take extreme views. They’ll never have to face the consequences of those views themselves. No matter what happens, no one alive to complain will ever be aborted.

My take on abortion is that I don’t care. I don’t care if it is legal. I don’t care if it is illegal. The reason I don’t care is because it doesn’t matter. Losers will still get pregnant when they shouldn’t.

The real issue is not abortion, but the fact that there are enough women running around getting knocked up that there is even demand for abortions in the first place.

The real issue is unwanted pregnancies, which is itself yet another manifestation of irresponsible people doing irresponsible things.

If you don’t want to get pregnant, then don’t get pregnant. I’m not impressed by someone whining about their right to choose being abridged when they chose to go fuck some guy they didn’t want to have kids with.

That is the part that just doesn’t make sense to me at all. Why are these women becoming pregnant in the first place? I can only conclude that they are borderline mentally incompetent and should probably have a court-appointed minder to keep them from stumbling into traffic.

leereyno on June 24, 2010 at 10:49 AM

Gloria Steinem: You can’t be a feminist if you oppose legal abortion.

Gloria Steinem, the self-appointed guardian of all things feminist, actually supports restricting choice, as does this feminist , yet accuse others of same.

Adoption is the choice of life, yet adoption is a choice that is summarily dismissed by some feminists.

Abortion is the choice of death, yet abortion is the only choice some feminists claim is being retricted.

Some feminists suffer from selective outrage.

rukiddingme on June 24, 2010 at 10:54 AM

Jimbo3 on June 24, 2010 at 10:33 AM

DrMagnolias on June 24, 2010 at 10:41 AM

–It’s pretty rare for me to personally insult people, if you go back and read most of my stuff. But I’m just gotten sick and tried of taking sh*t all day long from people here. 80% of the sh*t here comes from conservatives (because they’re by far the majority) and it’s directed at about ten of us with different views. I’ve even seen evidence that some of the people here go to the Hot Air Facebook group and try to figure out who can p*ss off someone with opposing views so much that they say something to get them banned.

Jimbo3 on June 24, 2010 at 10:55 AM

Jimbo3 on June 24, 2010 at 10:55 AM

I haven’t read alot of your stuff on HA–I have read some, and have disagreed with you much of the time. :) You and I had a civil disagreement yesterday, talking about dealing with the media. It was clear we had different experiences. For this reason, I was shocked at your response to Emily. I believe you do regret it. And, although I haven’t been viciously attacked on HA, I’ve certainly been belittled by people who apparently disagree but never actually address the substance. I’d love to say it just rolls off my back, but it doesn’t–it frustrates me. That it comes from conservatives also disappoints me.

DrMagnolias on June 24, 2010 at 11:10 AM

Jimbo3 on June 24, 2010 at 10:55 AM

You’ve apologized. Why not just drop it? People reading the thread can draw their own conclusions as to your sincerity.

a capella on June 24, 2010 at 11:14 AM

x-post: Steinem’s right; you can’t be a feminist if you oppose abortion. Obviously “real” feminists support the extinction of all humans to protect Gaia… and taking everything those humans have through taxes until the extinction can be accomplished.

Wait, am I confusing feminism and eco-socialism? Or are the “feminists” confusing the two?

theCork on June 24, 2010 at 11:20 AM

DrMagnolias on June 24, 2010 at 11:10 AM

-I had a bad day and thought I took it out on one of the typical jerks here, not some poor high school kid.

Jimbo3 on June 24, 2010 at 11:30 AM

Steinham took money for her nude pics. That is a form of prostitution.
Steinham disprespects other women and protects the leftist agenda.

Algore, a sacred saint of the left attacks a woman in a hotel. She doesn’t dare continue the case because we all know Gore Clinton and the smear machine left will attack the victum.
Whore Steinham won’t attack Gore for attempted rape because he is a poster boy for the left. Steinham won’t speak agains Muslim male abuse because the Muslim males and Steinham have the same enemy. The Christians.
Steinham can’t attack al Sharpton, Spitzer, algore Jackson and other women abusers because they are off limits. They are patriarchs of the left.
I have nailed the Feminista movement because it really despises a patriarchial world from the bible to the street. But the patriarchal side of Muslims and the Liberals get a pass. It is a political movement.

seven on June 24, 2010 at 11:32 AM

Jimbo3 on June 24, 2010 at 11:30 AM

Moral relativism and self justification. You have no solid source of moral principles. Asking an unborn girl, teen, mother or grannie to die is all equally wrong. Moral relativism creeps in and you justify it by having a “bad day” or apologising because it is a tender teen with a personal challenge.
Moral standards are not based on size, age or location of a woman. It is wrong for you to condone the death of an unborn woman or a grannie. .or teen.
Equal rights is beyond you.

seven on June 24, 2010 at 11:37 AM

Someone needs to ask her if a mother were to choose to kill only girl babies. Would that be okay?

What if it was similar to China where women were being aborted, except it was the women who were choosing the abortions of women?

jeffn21 on June 24, 2010 at 11:42 AM

I’m not here to swaddle egos. I think she was being gratuitous. If she’s 17, then I’m probably right and she could use some social retooling.

All this bluster about PC sensitivities and you guys fold when it comes down to it. Whatever suckers. You can stand around kicking rocks cuz a (presumed) girl has you playing to catch an editor.

The Race Card on June 24, 2010 at 5:32 AM

Who expects you to swaddle egos? Definitely not me.

What you label as PC sensitivities are actually more the fundamental, tactful sensitivities that led you, I presume, to state that Jimbo3 was crass, and could use a little tune up.

Or were you just bullshitting when you expressed that sensitivity? If you were sincere then it seems you should apply the same sensitivity to TRC. So why not get busy tuning yourself up for exhibiting the same crassness as Jimbo3? While your at it, please, give yourself a good swift kick in your ass for me.

Gang-of-One on June 24, 2010 at 11:49 AM

a capella on June 24, 2010 at 11:14 AM

He’s forggoten the first rule of holes: when you’re in one, stop digging.

DrAllecon on June 24, 2010 at 11:54 AM

Emily, again sorry. I was just about a straight A student in high school and, for a variety of reasons, was effectively a year and a half younger than everyone else in my grade for my middle school and high school years. For a guy, I got picked on all the time because I was uncoordinated, not good at sports and a geek. I also suffered quite a bit with all of the rejection through high school and even beyond.

Things will get better. The people that do well in school are the ones that tend to get the better, more interesting and more satisfying jobs. And later on, it’s no longer as important what people think of you. Look at Bill Gates, for instance. I’m sure he was picked on quite a bit in high school.

Again, my apologies.

Jimbo3 on June 24, 2010 at 12:00 PM

Good for you!

I know you don’t normally, but didn’t you fall prey to the tendency to take to heart things people say to you?

Gang-of-One on June 24, 2010 at 12:03 PM

Jimbo3 on June 24, 2010 at 12:00 PM

I accept you apology. Let’s drop the matter now. When I posted about my personal history with depression, it wasn’t some kind of sympathy play because what you said didn’t hugely upset me or anything. I was suprised, yeah, and kind of ticked off because it was so out of the blue, but when I posted that comment I just wanted to convey that maybe you should think before you say something like that so flippantly, because you don’t really know anything about a person or their circumstances. But anyway, like I said, we should now drop the matter.

Emily M. on June 24, 2010 at 12:13 PM

jeffn21 on June 24, 2010 at 11:42 AM

If she is consistent, then it would have to be okay with her. But of course, she isn’t and it wouldn’t be. One person commented that her mother should have aborted her. The irony, of course, is that a pro-life person can’t think that is okay, and a pro-choice person doesn’t have any grounds on which to object.

DrMagnolias on June 24, 2010 at 12:18 PM

Wow, America’s FIRST feminist, Susan B. Anthony’s officially booted from the movement she created. Somehow, I think Susan is laughing at Gloria Steinem for her incoherence, stupidity, and amorality.

Sue went so far as to call abortion ‘a monstrous crime’, not legally provided for in the Consitution.

“Women will never climb to equality and social empowerment over mounds of dead fetuses.”

–Sidney Callahan

GoodSamaritan on June 24, 2010 at 1:05 PM

Jimbo3 on June 24, 2010 at 12:00 PM

Emily M. on June 24, 2010 at 12:13 PM

–I’m glad you’re back. A straight A girl my daughter knew hung herself after a winter formal dance. She told kids at the dance that something wonderful was going to happen, went home, kissed her parents, went up to her bedroom and went to bed and then later dressed herself in her formal dress and hung herself in the basement. Her sister found her in the morning. She had been consistently bullied for years.

Jimbo3 on June 24, 2010 at 1:18 PM

Gang-of-One on June 24, 2010 at 12:03 PM

–I’m starting to. Thanks for asking.

Jimbo3 on June 24, 2010 at 1:19 PM

Jimbo3 on June 24, 2010 at 10:55 AM

Try going to a liberal site. It is much, much, much worse. Mostly, they just ban conservatives in the first instance for having a different viewpoint. But, their death wishes, etc., are pretty much commonplace. For instance, Kos’s “screw them” to the military contractors who were killed.

And, the shit you take is not for “having a different view”, its for the sanctimonious way you present it, your usual refusal to answer any questions asked, your constant changing of your arguments, your avoidance of facts, your non-sequitors that you seem to believe are good points. It’s difficult to guess what you think you accomplish with all of this. Certainly, you won’t persuade knowledgeable people with half-truths and misrepresentations.

Monkeytoe on June 24, 2010 at 3:28 PM

Your sensitivity to perverts bespeaks projection.

Dhuka on June 24, 2010 at 8:26 AM

Whatever. Then your sensitivity to terrorists makes you a terrorist, dumbass.

I call it like I see it. Sorry old chap, maybe it was cool in your day to lurk around the youngins.

I wasn’t even referring to you initially. My citation of your quote was an error. But you chimed right on key.

Sometimes bad guys wear a target. Sometimes I can be a dick. I am glad you stand up for yourself either way. That’s all anyone can do.

Feminism was/is about womens’ suffrage

Deanna on June 23, 2010 at 11:17 PM

Initially it was. With the meeting at Seneca Falls and other episodes of suffragettes, voting rights were ultimately granted in August of 1919 or 1920.

Steinem along with Andrea Dworkin and other “radical feminists” ushered in a new, bold and confrontational posture for feminists. They rattled cages and made names for themselves. All the while, real women worked hard and advanced their lot in society.

Feminism was about suffrage. It evolved into a movement of privileged women ignoring the lives of truly oppressed American-women.

The Race Card on June 24, 2010 at 3:50 PM

Do the feminist understand that the men that most support abortion, men like Bill Clinton and the late Teddy Kennedy used and discarded women like kleenex their whole lives and largely support abortion for the selfish reason that they don’t want to be stuck paying for mistresses children all over the country?

RJL on June 24, 2010 at 4:27 PM

. . .
leereyno on June 24, 2010 at 10:49 AM

That was one of the most poorly reasoned arguments I’ve ever read on this site. You can’t have an opinion or reasoned position on abortion because you weren’t aborted – THAT’S your agument??

Wow, just wow.

I guess no one could possibly have a reasoned postion or opinion regarding murder then, not having been a murder victim themselves. It would be nothing more than an “academic” exercie, etc, etc, blah, blah, blah, right?

Sheesh!

Fatal on June 24, 2010 at 5:17 PM

Once again RACE CARD seems to equate making a sympathetic comment on Hot Air with lurking about the youngsters. I find this to be both an unwarranted and illogical assumption. It indicates to me a certain sickness of spirit that anyone would even make such a connection.

As my grandmother used to say:
The fox, the finder,
the stink lies behind her.

Dhuka on June 24, 2010 at 5:58 PM

Monkeytoe on June 24, 2010 at 3:28 PM

That pretty much zero’s in on the “Jimbo” truth

Noelie on June 24, 2010 at 7:28 PM