Unreal: Mexico joins lawsuits against Arizona over new immigration law

posted at 7:47 pm on June 22, 2010 by Allahpundit

Where are we nationally in the polls in terms of support for Arizona’s law? Around 60 percent or so, yes?

Send this to an immigration fencesitter you know and love and let’s see if we can’t get it up to 70.

In a legal brief supporting one of the lawsuits, Mexico argued that the measure is unconstitutional and “raises substantial challenges to the bilateral diplomatic relations between Mexico and the U.S.”

More than 20 million Mexican workers, tourists and students were lawfully allowed into the United States throughout 2009, said the brief, and the government is worried Mexicans will be discriminated against because of racial profiling.

“Mexico is gravely concerned that (Arizona’s law) will lead to … detentions of Mexican citizens without regard to whether they have taken any actions or exhibited any behavior indicating they are guilty of a crime,” the brief said.

Elsewhere, they complain that the law empowers cops to stereotype based on, er, “foreign-ness” even though racial profiling is expressly prohibited. As for the boldfaced part, we’ve been over it a good two dozen times before but let’s go over it again: Per the statute, a cop first needs reasonable suspicion that a crime has been committed before he can ask about immigration status. He can’t try to corral a Mexican-American family at Baskin-Robbins because they look “suspicious.” If you’re busted for something else, only then is legal status on the table.

Two other points. First, am I mistaken or don’t you need to bring some sort of identifying document with you to enter the U.S. from Mexico even for a day trip? From DHS’s page on border crossings:

Mexican Citizens – Mexican citizens including children must present a passport with a nonimmigrant visa or a laser visa border crossing card.

* Document requirements for most Mexican citizens, including children entering the United States, do not change under WHTI. See www.getyouhome.gov for more information.
* US-VISIT biometric procedures may apply to some Mexican citizens. Find out if US-VISIT applies to you.

Permanent residents are also required to carry their green card on them at all times — not according to Arizona law, but according to federal law. Why do I bring all this up? Because, as you may remember, the Arizona statute creates a presumption that someone is here legally if they produce any sort of federally-issued identification — like, say, a visa. Show the cop your ID and you can be on your way, in which case, why the Mexican government’s hand-wringing for its citizens who are here legally? Given the document requirements to cross the border, they’re more likely to have identification on them than a U.S. citizen is.

Second point: Amnesty shills love to scold conservatives for their poor PR skills, lamenting the “incendiary rhetoric” that poisons our national debate on this issue. How come we never hear, though, about the poisonous PR efforts of the Mexican government, which I’ll bet has created more amnesty opponents over the years than Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck, and Sean Hannity combined? It’s astounding to me how cavalier they are about meddling in American attempts to solve a problem that’s a direct result of their own terrible governance, replete with tut-tutting about discrimination by Calderon when he visits the White House. Every time they make a move I get a little firmer in opposing amnesty, and I can’t be the only one — and the truly insane part is that they didn’t need to intervene this time at all. There are plenty of suits already pending against the statute; the DOJ itself will reportedly file suit next week. Jumping in here may play well at home but it only further alienates Americans, which makes their goal of amnesty that much less likely. Are they really this stupid?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

The Mexican government, the Associated Press, and King Barry don’t even know we exist. I suspect they think we are loud because of a few talk show hosts. They dismiss the Tea Party Rallys instead of counting the number of attendees. Even Scott Brown didn’t alert them.

“I hear that train a comin’. Its rollin’ round the bend.” ~Johnny Cash

WWCathodeRay on June 22, 2010 at 10:18 PM

You and me, both. And every single day I swear I will not read the conservtive blogs, because I can’t take it anymore. And yet, here I am.

Even though we don’t have cable, the local news channels are bad enough with their praise of Obama. More and more I find myself yelling at the newscasters out of sheer frustration.

If the voters don’t wake up and vote the libtard incumbents out in November, I fear we are doomed as a country.

Lord have mercy indeed.

GrannyDee on June 22, 2010 at 8:25 PM

I say the same thing to myself, GrannyDee.

As for obama suing Arizona and allowing Mexico to join suit, some people would call bulls^&t.

I call treason.

tigerlily on June 22, 2010 at 10:37 PM

Are they really this stupid?

Yes, when you look at it in terms of pure sanity.

But when you think about the racist, xenophobic, socialist Mexican government, it makes perfect sense. This is playing to the base on an epic scale, and of course, Oblahblah is right there trying to play along.

northdallasthirty on June 22, 2010 at 11:09 PM

I am totally confused!!!!

I thought it was AGAINST the US Constitution for a FOREIGN government to become involved in ANY lawsuit regarding a STATE. The MEXICAN government, or ANY other FOREIGN government, has NO standing in lawsuits involving STATES!

Or, maybe I am right and the idiot lawyer from Mexico is going to be tossed out of this courtroom.

Like they were in that Texas case regarding the death penalty being applied.

Freddy on June 22, 2010 at 11:10 PM

I say the same thing to myself, GrannyDee.

I call treason.

tigerlily on June 22, 2010 at 10:37 PM

I agree. Any leader with balls would see it for what it is: a declaration of war.

Arizona is now beset by two nations… sadly one of them is ours.

At what point does impeachment become insufficient?

Chaz706 on June 22, 2010 at 11:16 PM

I am totally confused!!!!

Freddy on June 22, 2010 at 11:10 PM

They’re not a party to the suit. They just filed an amicus brief. So relax.

crr6 on June 22, 2010 at 11:33 PM

Hmmm, I guess Mexico wants our border agents to treat illegals the way theirs treat illegals coming across their southern border–rape the women and beat the crap out of the men. OK. I guess that will work better.

WarEagle01 on June 23, 2010 at 12:31 AM

This couldn’t come at a better time.

Schadenfreude on June 23, 2010 at 1:03 AM

Hmm… Mexico just filed an an amicus brief. No big deal you say…

Since when does a foreign country file an amicus brief regarding a state’s law regarding the treatment of that state’s LEGAL citizens?

Mexico is admitting in court that they are acting on behalf of Mexican citizens who are in the U.S. illegally. In fact, they are even pressing a claim of sovereignty over their citizens who have illegally crossed the border and are actively breaking U.S. laws.

shorebird on June 23, 2010 at 1:42 AM

How long before the U.N. gets involved? Or have they already and I missed it?

Dr. ZhivBlago on June 23, 2010 at 2:09 AM

Felepe Calderon had best stay home and save the oligarchs from the druggies. Another “world leader” who forgets that national defense is primary.

Oh wait! This is Mexico. A member of G-20. Heh

Caststeel on June 23, 2010 at 3:50 AM

I call treason.

tigerlily on June 22, 2010 at 10:37 PM

Point worth considering

Since when does a President join with a foreign nation against the interests of his own citizens

Despicable

entagor on June 23, 2010 at 3:57 AM

Nuke the site from orbit.

gdonovan on June 23, 2010 at 4:30 AM

I think it is now time for the 60% of Americans standing firmly behind Arizona to make their voices be heard in a way that few are going to misunderstand.

How about a national boycott against all things Mexican? I mean travel to Mexico, buying Mexican beer, eating in Mexican restaurants, the whole enchilada!

Maybe then Washington and especially B.O. are going to realize that we mean business when We The People say we are sick of illegal immigration and what it has done to wreck this country!

BOYCOTT MEXICO!

pilamaye on June 23, 2010 at 7:36 AM

Nuke the site from orbit.

gdonovan on June 23, 2010 at 4:30 AM

It’s the only way to be sure.

John Deaux on June 23, 2010 at 8:03 AM

Let’s give California back to Mexico, nobody will miss it. All those actors would not mind being surrounded by drug dealers. Now Mexico is going to police our laws?

Wills on June 23, 2010 at 8:41 AM

Article 8. Public officials and employees shall respect the exercise of the right of petition, provided it is made in writing and in a peaceful and respectful manner; but this right may only be exercised in political matters by citizens of the Republic.

J_Crater on June 23, 2010 at 8:47 AM

We get the majority of our oil from Mexico, so Obowma has to suck up to Calderon. Dear leader knows we still need oil to keep the country going until he can change us to green energy. Personally, I’d like to contribute to a new suitcase and bus ticket to every illegal so they can go home. How’s that for amnesty.

Kissmygrits on June 23, 2010 at 9:24 AM

Time for zombie Sam Houston?

bitsy on June 23, 2010 at 9:31 AM

Mexico offers a legal brief: unconscionable meddling in our nation’s affairs!

US invades and bombs multiple foreign nations: freedom is on the march!

I love HotAir logic.

orange on June 23, 2010 at 1:20 PM

I love HotAir logic.

orange on June 23, 2010 at 1:20 PM

Yeah, kind of crazy how we want to protect our nation…we are just CRAZY that way.
….and of the “hundreds” of nations we have invaded, how many do we occupy?
I love trolls logic…emotional outbursts are always fun to read.

right2bright on June 23, 2010 at 4:59 PM