Obama to extend federal family leave benefits to gays

posted at 9:49 pm on June 21, 2010 by Allahpundit

Two months ago he ordered HHS to extend visitation rights to gays in hospitals receiving federal funding, but this is obviously much, much broader in scope.

Executive orders: Is there anything they can’t do?

Labor Secretary Hilda Solis planned to announce Wednesday that the government would require employers to extend the option that has been available to heterosexual workers for almost two decades, two officials briefed on the plan said Monday. Neither was authorized to speak publicly ahead of the announcement…

The Family and Medical Leave Act allows workers to take up to 12 weeks of unpaid leave each year to take care of loved ones or themselves. The 1993 law, which also allows employees to take time off for adoptions, has previously only been applied to heterosexual couples.

The Labor Department planned to extend those rights based on a new interpretation of the law, the officials said. There was no plan to ask Congress to change the law, which means future presidents could reverse the decision.

I’m surprised that he didn’t ask Congress to handle this. Sure, it’s a hot-button issue with the midterms looming, but we already crossed that bridge when the House okayed repealing “don’t ask, don’t tell” by a wide margin. Presumably The One figures that as mainstream acceptance of gays grows, even a future Republican president won’t dare rescind the order. In which case, why force another tough vote on the Blue Dogs?

The only thing I can’t figure out is “why now?” It’s not like he’s trapped in a relentlessly horrible media cycle and searching for something to placate his increasingly restive, disillusioned base. Is it?

Comments

Executive orders: Is there anything they can’t do?

Securing the borders comes to mind…

Seven Percent Solution on June 21, 2010 at 9:52 PM

The way PBHO’s fortunes are swirling the toilet, I’d be surprised if he doesn’t soon order the arrest of Dubya.

Bishop on June 21, 2010 at 9:52 PM

Wow…way to tackle the tough ones, Obama.

AUINSC on June 21, 2010 at 9:53 PM

Awesome. College aged guys…when you have roommates, apply as a gay couple and milk the system.

Don’t think it will happen? It’s going to be hilarious.

rickyricardo on June 21, 2010 at 9:54 PM

This won’t survive a court challenge. And Jug Ears knows it.

platypus on June 21, 2010 at 9:55 PM

Yeah, ’cause so many gay relationships result in newborns.

Ronnie on June 21, 2010 at 9:55 PM

This is probably a smoke screen to redirect political discourse. The oil spill, McChrystal or something must be doing a lot of damage.

neuquenguy on June 21, 2010 at 9:56 PM

Time for a golf trip!

lorien1973 on June 21, 2010 at 9:56 PM

Don’t think it will happen? It’s going to be hilarious.

rickyricardo on June 21, 2010 at 9:54 PM

Yup, all of a sudden there will be 200 million gays. They will have fun sorting them out ;). They will need a “gaydar” like Michel Scott.

neuquenguy on June 21, 2010 at 9:59 PM

Sorry, this should illegal… he’s forcing everyone to accept his definition of family… he’s gone too far this time…

ninjapirate on June 21, 2010 at 10:01 PM

Well, it is just Monopoly money, right?

platypus on June 21, 2010 at 10:02 PM

**hey** can I play through this thread? that’s my ball over there…

*thwack*

ya’ll be cool..

ted c on June 21, 2010 at 10:03 PM

Trashing the Constitution, promoting abortion & homosexuality, aiding illegal aliens–Is there anything immoral or illegal that this administration doesn’t support?

itsnotaboutme on June 21, 2010 at 10:03 PM

Just like they newly interpreted the Constitution to say the government will provide “health care”.

SouthernGent on June 21, 2010 at 10:03 PM

“The Labor Department intends to issue regulations this week ordering businesses to give gay employees equal treatment under a law permitting workers unpaid time off to care for newborns or loved ones.”

I can see it now…

“Jeffery really neeeeds me! He’s been protesthing that darn Prop. 8, and I have to care for him…

… and if you don’t give me pay when I’m gone, I’m going to give you such a pinch!”

Seven Percent Solution on June 21, 2010 at 10:04 PM

Yeah, there’s a lot of people who want to take 12 weeks of unpaid leave right now and no employers willing to give it, right?

SlaveDog on June 21, 2010 at 10:04 PM

Lord Barry reminiscing about his “college experimentations” in 3..2..1

ronsfi on June 21, 2010 at 10:08 PM

Did not Obama say, as a campaign promise or was it just after the inauguration that he intended to rule by executive order?

Seems like he promised he would.

Skandia Recluse on June 21, 2010 at 10:09 PM

“Daddy did you plug the hole?”

txag92 on June 21, 2010 at 10:09 PM

If he can’t plug one hole, he may as well get some credit for plugging another.

said it.

ted c on June 21, 2010 at 10:15 PM

based on a new interpretation of the law

So any time you don’t like a law… reinterpret it.

malclave on June 21, 2010 at 10:18 PM

If he can’t plug one hole, he may as well get some credit for plugging another.

said it.

Heh. The homosexual lobby’s quest for normalcy may be over. And all because their hot young president was ignoring the Hole!

GTR640 on June 21, 2010 at 10:19 PM

It’s the magic of government. There is nothing it cannot do. There are no problems or inequities it cannot aright. There are no companies it cannot manage better.

Meanwhile, back in the Gulf……

GnuBreed on June 21, 2010 at 10:20 PM

Dude, c’mon, let’s take the bikes to Myrtle Beach for spring break. No, you don’t have to. Just use some of that Obama gay time. Yes. Yeah, tell them you’re gay. Why not? Dude, you were talking about trying to get laid off last week when you heard they were extending unemployment benefits, and now you’re worried about this? What the heck? Yes you were. Your exact words were “dude, did you hear those lucky bastards are getting to lay out for another year? Man, work is for suckers”. Yeah, of course it will work. They can’t… Hey, actually, say “bi” so you’ll still have a shot with that milf secretary. Seriously, dude. Yeah, it’s the law. And if they press the issue you can sue their asses for some gay discrimination sh*t or something. Alright. Yeah, I’ll see if we’ve still got those Mardi Gras beads left. I don’t know why, but the chicks love ‘em. Yeah, this is gonna be awesome. No, seriously, they can’t say jack. Yeah, dude, it’s a law or something. You’re a protected class as soon as you tell them that. Ha. Yeah, I know, right? Just like Carol. Alright, you’re in, then? Cool. I’ll tell the guys.

rogerb on June 21, 2010 at 10:20 PM

Time for a golf trip!

lorien1973 on June 21, 2010 at 9:56 PM

LOL!!! I was just gonna say, “Afterwards he played golf!”

Vntnrse on June 21, 2010 at 10:20 PM

Well, now I guess it’s No Sass, No Yell. What a lovely mess we’re in, Ollie.

TXUS on June 21, 2010 at 10:27 PM

Now why should any of the Gay Rights Groups
trust Hopey,especially when he had a news
black out,when the activists handcuffed them
selves to the gate!

canopfor on June 21, 2010 at 10:28 PM

TXUS on June 21, 2010 at 10:27 PM

It certainly is, Stanley, Umpft!

kingsjester on June 21, 2010 at 10:29 PM

Wait a tic,isn’t there a SCJOTUS confirmation hearing coming
up in 7 days!!

canopfor on June 21, 2010 at 10:31 PM

When can I get some heterosexual white male time off?

F15Mech on June 21, 2010 at 10:32 PM

When can I get some heterosexual white male time off?

F15Mech on June 21, 2010 at 10:32 PM

In 2013. I pray.

TXUS on June 21, 2010 at 10:38 PM

Lambda Legal Statement on Benefits for Families of Federal Employees
=====================

(New York, June 2, 2010) — In response to the move by the Obama Administration to offer benefits to the partners of gay federal employees, Lambda Legal issued the following statement on behalf of Jennifer C. Pizer, Marriage Project Director

canopfor on June 21, 2010 at 10:41 PM

Why now???

Simple. He promised it many months ago…and hasn’t delivered the goods. Now he is in this new “interpretation of the law”.

He can do anything. He’s God.

GoldenEagle4444 on June 21, 2010 at 10:46 PM

Interesting!!
===================
American Fedn of St/Cnty/Munic Employees $11,500 $0 $11,500

canopfor on June 21, 2010 at 10:50 PM

Simple. He promised it many months ago…and hasn’t delivered the goods.

GoldenEagle4444 on June 21, 2010 at 10:46 PM

year

Yep he spent a year on health care and just managed to get it passed.

Until the 2010 elections nothing of importance will be passed, I expect everything is being rescheduled for the lame duck session.

FORE!!!

F15Mech on June 21, 2010 at 10:57 PM

When can I get some heterosexual white male time off?

F15Mech on June 21, 2010 at 10:32 PM

Sorry, but someone has to stick around and do the work.

rogerb on June 21, 2010 at 11:06 PM

CYA, eh, Barry?

profitsbeard on June 21, 2010 at 11:06 PM

Wait a min here. I’m a father and I can’t get an extended leave if my wife were to have another child. Where is my protection under the law?

tdavisjr on June 21, 2010 at 11:21 PM

Executive orders: Is there anything they can’t do?

Well, they can’t close Gitmo. Obama proved that.

trubble on June 21, 2010 at 11:26 PM

Ok..I mis-read. This is unpaid time off. Having said that, I’m not sure if employers are going to fight this. If this was paid, then I could understand why there would be some resistance.

tdavisjr on June 21, 2010 at 11:35 PM

This is a good move, in my opinion. Above all partnerships should receive equal benefits.

AnninCA on June 22, 2010 at 12:04 AM

I could understand why there would be some resistance.

tdavisjr on June 21, 2010 at 11:35 PM

Not me.

AnninCA on June 22, 2010 at 12:04 AM

Unilaterally? When does this end?

Banana Republic.

BuckeyeSam on June 22, 2010 at 12:17 AM

Hey this is Stimulus Summer! That’s why.

Dhuka on June 22, 2010 at 12:22 AM

Not me.

AnninCA on June 22, 2010 at 12:04 AM

Of course you would not see an issue with it; however if you could see past the polish you would see the potential turd that would develop and will soon start to clog the toilet in the American labor force.

F15Mech on June 22, 2010 at 1:12 AM

neuquenguy on June 21, 2010 at 9:59 PM

Yep my gay gene is starting to activate. The 4 bedroom house I am paying for needs another tax break.

F15Mech on June 22, 2010 at 1:21 AM

YES, you can.

your_worst_enemy on June 22, 2010 at 2:52 AM

YES, you can.

your_worst_enemy on June 22, 2010 at 2:55 AM

Death of a thousand cuts.

gdonovan on June 22, 2010 at 4:49 AM

The worst part is, this is probably the least damaging thing he has done, aside from playing golf.

Slowburn on June 22, 2010 at 7:38 AM

Evil is as evil does.

Akzed on June 22, 2010 at 8:03 AM

Who, having known the justice of God, did not understand that they who do such things, are worthy of death; and not only they that do them, but they also that consent to them that do them.

Today there will be a storm, for the sky is red and lowering. You know then how to discern the face of the sky: and can you not know the signs of the times?

Too many think this is one of the less important things happening, but I firmly believe that it and abortion…, (all immorality) are the big things. The rest is just the result; God is no longer blessing the USA. I, for one, can’t blame Him.

Off to volleyball camp and then swim meet. Peace, HotAir.

pannw on June 22, 2010 at 9:23 AM

Get your free benefits here. Get your free benefits. Bennies for everyone! Step right up!

Paul-Cincy on June 22, 2010 at 10:46 AM

How do they determine whether you’re gay? If you’re not married or in a civil union, then legally the situation would be equivalent to boyfriend and girlfriend. Has family leave been extended to boyfriends and girlfriends before now?

tom on June 22, 2010 at 2:42 PM