Palin: Maybe we shouldn’t enforce marijuana laws so strictly

posted at 6:55 pm on June 17, 2010 by Allahpundit

Normally we don’t recycle last night’s “Quote of the Day” but I’m making a special exception for this for two reasons. One: I’m surprised that one of my dopey posts was able to push Sarahcuda’s take on weed out to big news outfits like Politico and CBS. What makes me think they got it from Hot Air? Well, both sites claimed in their write-ups that Palin had made her remarks on Wednesday night — but that’s simply not true. We posted it last night, but her appearance on Judge Napolitano’s show actually happened a few days ago. Tsk tsk, fact-checkers.

Two: The “Quote of the Day” post didn’t give me a chance to gloat. Who was it, remind me, who pushed the “Palin should champion the potheads” argument a few months ago? Awww yeah. Let me be even more obnoxious than usual and quote myself:

She can’t [champion legalization] if she’s running in 2012. Conservative Republicans, i.e. her base, oppose legalization 20/77; a bold stroke on this front would scare a bunch of them into Huckabee’s camp. If she’s not running, though, then I can see an argument for it. One of her big problems, especially with centrists, is the media’s caricature of her as some sort of fire-breathing theocon, which she isn’t. She’s made moves to chip away at that — the Rand Paul endorsement, and of course campaigning for Maverick instead of Hayworth — but it’s hard to scramble a narrative purely through associations. She needs an issue, and this one is fairly low-cost with a few major benefits. Taking a modest pro-legalization position (i.e. “I don’t use it myself and don’t want kids using it, but…”) would (a) electrify the debate over a hot-button issue, which she obviously relishes doing (see, e.g., “death panels”), (b) prove that she doesn’t mindlessly follow Republican orthodoxy, which would force centrists and libertarians to give her a second look, (c) mindfark the media, which would be on her side for once, and (d) reestablish her political identity as a western, not southern, conservative. The west was, after all, the only region of the country that supported legalization when Gallup polled the issue in October.

I stand by every word. In fairness, Sarahcuda did not take a “modest pro-legalization” position on Napolitano’s show — she wants it illegal to keep it away from kids — but this reads like a very modest anti-legalization position to me:

“Well, if we’re talking about pot, I’m not for the legalization of pot because I think that that would just encourage, especially, our young people to think that it was OK to go ahead and use it. And I’m not an advocate for that. However, I think that we need to prioritize our law enforcement efforts. And if somebody’s gonna smoke a joint in their house and not do anybody else any harm, then perhaps there are other things that our cops should be looking at to engage in and try to clean up some of the other problems that we have in society that are appropriate for law enforcement to do and not concentrate on such a, relatively speaking, minimal problem that we have in the country.”

In other words, okay for adults but not for little ones. Isn’t that indistinguishable from America’s alcohol policy, though? If she’s going to go this far and basically call for cops to look the other way at non-violent adult users, why not go the whole nine yards and embrace legalization with age limits? Or is that the next step once social conservatives acclimate themselves to her current position? Exit question: Second look at “true conservative” support for weed?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Oh, now it’s “Palin shouldn’t be President.”?
Earlier, you said you “didn’t want to see Palin as President.”
Which is it?

Also, I just remembered that you don’t get Fox News in the Philippines and CNN is skewed way Left outside of the U.S.
And of course, there’s the BBC World News, also way Left.

A good deal of how I processed the news overseas when I was abroad was through the filter of their media.
Even the Interwebs won’t tell you the story and that’s highly dependent on which sites you go to anyway.
There’s just no way you can have the same insight as we do into American politics.
Are you there as a Mormon missionary?

Jenfidel on June 18, 2010 at 12:04 AM

I think ‘Palin shouldn’t be president’ and ‘I don’t want to see Palin as president’ are pretty much the same thing. You are splitting semantic hairs (again). Maybe my opinion against Palin has been hardened a bit due to my exposure to her supporters. Give yourself a pat on the back.

You are right – I don’t get FoxNews here. So you assume I watch either CNN or BBC? Wrong on both counts. I don’t watch TV anymore, at least not for world/US news – local filipino news, the occasional filipino drama or pinoy big brother with my wife, or reruns of NCIS if I can find it.

I get my news all over the web – are you saying that Hot Air isn’t a good source of news? I’m sure Ed and Allah will be disappointed.

If you got your news through the british or french news services – you are right, you didn’t get the whole (or correct) story. I would almost say that your exposure to those sources has tainted your ability to be a good conservative American – right? That’s just as ludicrous as your claims about me.

So just because I’m not physically in the US, I can’t get the whole story? Why? Because I don’t talk to my friends? Well, I do, every day, even when I am here. My family? The same as my friends. What makes it different between you and me that makes your perspective any ‘better’ than mine?

Another wrong assumption – Sorry, but I’m not a mormon missionary. I’m a disabled, retired (engineer) expatriate living off of SSDI in the Philippines. And I’m buddhist. Sorry to ruin another stereotype you had of me.

Timothy S. Carlson on June 18, 2010 at 12:23 AM

Timothy S. Carlson on June 18, 2010 at 12:23 AM

Your opinion on American politics is only talk because you’re not here.
Period.
You put your money and your body where your mouth is and maybe those of us who are intelligent and engaged will bother to listen.

BTW,HA is a privately owned site and as a commenter, you only have whatever “rights” they choose to give you as a guest which may or may not be the same rights as those guaranteed you by our Bill of Rights.

I have even less respect for you now than I did before (which was miniscule) knowing that you’re living abroad but sponging off American taxpayers like me, collecting SSDI.
I’m shocked that we’re paying expats this money.
No wonder our debt and deficit are so horrendous!

Jenfidel on June 18, 2010 at 12:46 AM

I’m shocked that we’re paying expats this money.
No wonder our debt and deficit are so horrendous!

Jenfidel on June 18, 2010 at 12:46 AM

I’ve paid into SSDI – the maximum, for many years. Now I am disabled, and I am taking out what I AM ENTITLED TO under the law.

Unlike the illegal aliens, or the slackers who haven’t paid into the system but STILL get SS benefits. And the fact that congress kept borrowing from SS with the ‘intent to repay’ (yeah, right). So now it’s in the hole. No wonder.

The debt and deficit are ‘so horrendous’ because of Obamao and the dhimmicrats – sure, previous admins weren’t fiscally responsible, either, but Obamao has taken it to new levels.

You really need to do your research before you open your mouth. I paid into the system for 25+ years. I’ve had 4 strokes, which have caused me to crater financially. Luckily I had SSDI. And I had the opportunity to move to a place that allows me to stretch the meager benefit I get.

You know what? I’m tired of fighting with you. Screw you. I hope you have fun supporting Palin and being such an elitist and so exclusionary.

BTW: You might want to dance on a few graves and slap a few old people around. They were/are collecting SS and ‘sponging’ from you, too. Forget that they worked hard to make America what it is. Thank them for your right to be an idiot on the internet.

Timothy S. Carlson on June 18, 2010 at 1:14 AM

And, yes, that WAS a purposeful ad hominem attack.

Timothy S. Carlson on June 18, 2010 at 1:15 AM

Caffeine and nicotine. Anything that isn’t ‘wholesome’. The body is your temple – keep it pure.

“Wholesome” and “with prudence”: anything that would harm the body long term — and even overindulgence of ‘wholesome’ foods is frowned upon.

Heh. I guess even chocolate (because it has caffeine) is out.

Timothy S. Carlson on June 17, 2010 at 11:20 PM

Mormons forbidden to use nicotine but there is no official prohibition against caffeine. Thus a Mormon would be fine drinking coke or eating chocolate.

I suggest reading the actual source of the LDS Code of health and reading up on informative sites that give more details about the LDS Code of Health.

–He’s a Mormon (sorry, Badger). He’s make alcohol illegal if he could.

Jimbo3 on June 17, 2010 at 11:58 PM

No, he wouldn’t.

In fact, it was the state of Utah that was one of the three states that gave the final vote to repeal the Prohibition.

Here’s the history on it:

back in 1932, the 21st Amendment — you know, the one repealing prohibition? — was up for ratification. Guess which was the state that pushed ratification over the top? Utah. The Mormons passed ratification despite vigorous appeals from the Church. They did so because, while as Mormons prohibition would be better for them as a Church, as Americans repealing prohibition would be better for America as a whole. Nobody was excommunicated for voting for repeal. Nobody had their temple recommends pulled.

Source.

And with that…it pretty much sinks your claim Romney or any Mormon would would ban alcohol.

Conservative Samizdat on June 18, 2010 at 1:22 AM

And that place is not America.
Nor is your attitude very positive about America.

Thank them for your right to be an idiot on the internet.

Timothy S. Carlson on June 18, 2010 at 1:14 AM

The only people that I thank for guarding my freedoms, including Freedom of Speech, are the U.S. military, not all old people.
Given the amount of taxes I pay, I can say “Screw you, too.”
As a taxpayer, I don’t think it’s right to pay S.S. to ex-Americans who choose to live overseas, whether they paid into S.S. or not.
You left this country and its blessings of Liberty.
You should not continue to enjoy its largesse.
I know if I lived abroad I wouldn’t expect to, but I also know the U.S. government would come after me for income taxes.
There’s nothing élitist or exclusionary about me, Sarah Palin or her other supporters.
Enjoy Filippino life and leave America and Americans alone!

Jenfidel on June 18, 2010 at 1:31 AM

Timothy S. Carlson on June 18, 2010 at 1:14 AM

I’ve worked hard to make America great and keep her great, too and even though I have no children of my own, I want to leave it as good as place for other Americans’ children and grandchildren as it was when I was born.
It’s a legacy all caring Americans contribute to and benefit from.

Jenfidel on June 18, 2010 at 1:35 AM

And that’s the money quote. I am not an ex-American. I am an expatriate – I am still an American, I just don’t live there. I have all of the same rights as any other American.

You will never have the right to call me an ‘ex-American’ – only the US government can take it away, or I can renounce my citizenship. Since neither have occurred, I am still an American, to your digust I imagine.

Hey – now I feel much better. To know I twist your shorts because I am on SSDI (thanks, keep paying your taxes) and living overseas and STILL able to express my opinion — well, that’s a pretty awesome day. Thanks!

Timothy S. Carlson on June 18, 2010 at 3:36 AM

Drug laws only serve Big Government in being able to peer into people’s lives. Drug dealers were the excuse for the government to check any bank deposits $10,000 and up. In my opinion, the government shouldn’t have the “right” to know how much you make or save. Grow a few plants in your house and government has given itself the right to take said home(and accompanying monetary value) in a confiscation scheme Josef Stalin could only dream of. Beautiful excuse to have someone lose their job and become dependent on the state. Take away one’s children and put them into the Child Services System for a substance less harmful than alcohol. Urine tests are big business for someone, rather than leaving the employer to make his own call on whether the employee has a problem or not. Think of all the government jobs lost if substances were decriminalized. Any wonder why weed went illegal only 2 and a half years after prohibition was repealed? If someone has a legitimate pain condition and cannabis helps that person sleep, does the government really have a right to tell that person, “No you can’t, we will tell you what you need”, even if Legal and Taxable medications can be many times more harmful?

Drug laws only serve Big Brother and in this day and age that’s more frightening than any drug. Since when has ANY drug law stopped anyone from using drugs? Legalize Heroin tomorrow and will there be one more user? No, they are already using. This is a medical issue and not a criminal/legal one, which is why there is never a resolution to the “problem”. Big Government loves prohibitionists. They allow the scam and scheme to take away personal liberty in ways that would make the Founders sick to their stomachs, and reaching for a joint to take away their nausea from observing such a government intrusion. The only other option in lieu of decriminalization is leaving the Drug War right where it is, which has worked so well in reduction over the years. Reduction of personal liberty, life, and happiness. It’s as ugly as income redistribution, only from the right rather than the left. My two cents anyway….

adamsmith on June 18, 2010 at 7:21 AM

adamsmith on June 18, 2010 at 7:21 AM

+100

NavyspyII on June 18, 2010 at 10:05 AM

Timothy S. Carlson on June 18, 2010 at 3:36 AM

Absolutely, Timothy. I too live overseas and have for 8 years now as an AMERICAN expatriate due to my husband’s job. I pay taxes, invest in the US stock market, purchase goods from the US and vote in the Federal elections since I don’t hold US residency. If that makes me somehow less of an American to some ignorant people, then screw them. Not only do I spend a lot of time reading HotAir and other news from the US, I also compare what’s being said there to how the foreign media overseas play it. In my case now, in Latvia, before that, India, Panama and Denmark. I did national tv/print interviews as the ONLY Republican in India the media could apparently find during the ’08 election and fought the idiots there who condemned Americans as a bunch of racists who’d never elect a black man for President. Thanks to me, a lot of the press had to STOP invoking that lie during commentaries or I refused to do anything on-air or on record. I involve myself in Republicans Abroad and have made it a personal mission to educate any foreigner willing to listen on what the truth is about Americans and what it means to be an American conservative and Republican to counter the cartoon character the foreign (usually lefty press) have portrayed us to be. I am an American with a big “A” and when and if I return to the US, will continue to be as patriotic as anyone with feet on the soil there. So, Jenfidel can kiss my red-white-and-blue arse if that is somehow not American enough for her. Oh, and while I love Sarah Palin, I’m still not convinced about her being POTUS at this stage. We’ll see.

Renwaa on June 18, 2010 at 2:17 PM

After we get the Doper vote, we could go after the Prostitute vote, etc.

Observation on June 18, 2010 at 4:22 PM

Legalize it. And put similar restrictions to tobacco and alcohol.

We never should have outlawed it in the first place.

+1 +1 +1.

I cannot wait. Oh wait, Im not.

I work, Im on my 40s. I pay my taxes. I takes showers. And I smoke. And its NONE of anyone else’s business to tell me otherwise.

your_worst_enemy on June 18, 2010 at 4:43 PM

Renwaa on June 18, 2010 at 2:17 PM

Sorry, but I don’t plan on doing any kissing and you’re not here, so you can’t really talk about American politics with any authority or knowledge either.
You made the choice and must live with the consequences.
I’m sure you’ll be welcome back, though, should you desire to return.

Jenfidel on June 18, 2010 at 9:21 PM

Enforce the law, or change the law.

I’ve always been of mixed opinion on marijuana laws. But if you must have them, do enforce them, please.

The general and enormous problem of selective enforcement of laws is a corrosive one in this society. Get marijuana laws overturned — I won’t lose sleep over that — but don’t forget that non-enforcement of selected laws in today’s society is the far greater problem at stake here.

Edouard on June 18, 2010 at 9:42 PM

Jenfidel on June 18, 2010 at 1:31 AM

You’re a jackass Jenfidel, and with every post you further establish your credentials as a fundamentalist tool.

dakine on June 18, 2010 at 11:28 PM

dakine on June 18, 2010 at 11:28 PM

With your cretinous troll rep at HA firmly established, I wouldn’t toss the ad hominems around if I were you.

Jenfidel on June 19, 2010 at 12:45 AM

Me thinks Allah is reading too much into Palin’s words…

Count to 10 on June 19, 2010 at 8:04 AM

Sarah is once again proven, with mathematical certainty, to be correct. Can I love this woman any more??? I don’t think so

georgealbert on June 19, 2010 at 10:21 AM

Palin is promoting border violence for drugs.

PrezHussein on June 19, 2010 at 2:27 PM

I was bombarding her with legalization messages for a LONG (in internet years) time.

So I was softening up the ground.

Quote re: China’s opium wars:

“If the trade is ever legalized, it will cease to be profitable from that time. The more difficulties that attend it, the better for you and us.” — Directors of Jardine-Matheson

Just so you will know what legalization will do to the cartels.

MSimon on June 19, 2010 at 3:01 PM

Laws go unenforced all the time. Laws are selectively enforced all the time. Law enforcement bases its activities on priorities. Do you go after the guy two blocks down shooting up the street or the jay walker 5 feet away?

Resources are limited. Crimes are as numberless as the grains of sand on a beach.

MSimon on June 19, 2010 at 3:06 PM

Zero public benefits for people who use pot recreationally. Zero, zip, zilch nada. Pee in a bottle to qualify. In fact, capital punishment with no appeals for those who slip, as it were, through the cracks.

Then you can smoosh this smelly camel’s nose under the corner of the tent.

J.E. Dyer on June 19, 2010 at 3:17 PM

Seriously, Allah, I know you’re a libertarian and everything, but what is it with the legalization obsession?

$50 bn a year (State, Federal, and local) a year. Plus another $50 bn a year for the cartels. Not exactly chump change.

MSimon on June 19, 2010 at 3:25 PM

Zero public benefits for people who use pot recreationally.

Zero public benefits for those who use tobacco and alcohol recreationally. Fair is fair.

MSimon on June 19, 2010 at 3:26 PM

JetBoy on June 17, 2010 at 7:16 PM

Correction. Heavy use hasn’t been LINKED to increased risk of lung cancer. Big difference.

Still contains carcinogens, still wrecks your lungs.

Rightwingguy on June 17, 2010 at 7:20 PM

Perhaps the anti-tumor properties of pot mitigate that. Which is why you don’t see pot smokers in the cancer wards in any significant numbers.

i.e. where are the bodies.

MSimon on June 19, 2010 at 3:29 PM

I like Palin fine. I am just tired of her aw-shucks public speaking. I think it a hindrance.

I would like to see her shift modes when necessary. Bikes with one gear don`t get too far.

Then again, she may not wish to travel that distance and that is okay by me, too.

Sherman1864 on June 21, 2010 at 8:12 AM