Video: You know, that Obama speech sounded awfully familiar

posted at 9:57 pm on June 16, 2010 by Allahpundit

Honestly, I don’t get it. I get the broader similarities between The One and Jimmeh, of course — horrible economy, crisis related to energy, growing threat from Iran — but the connection between this gassy bit from Carter’s speech and Obama’s pep talk on the spill eludes me. Limbaugh did a much better job with the analogy today, mainly because he focused on the parts of Carter’s address that had to do with energy, not with the eye-crossing blather about the “meaning of our own lives.” Even there, though, I don’t quite see why the similarities between JC and BO should be so illuminating. Isn’t “national mobilization for alternative energy” standard Democratic boilerplate whenever they’re faced with a problem involving oil? It’d be like a lefty having an “aha!” moment upon finding that Ronald Reagan and Chris Christie used similar rhetoric in pitching school choice during a debate an education. If you elect a Democratic president, expect a metaphor eventually involving World War II and windmills. Like clockwork.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Here’s the similarities:

America Held Hostage, Day 440

Captain America on June 16, 2010 at 10:49 PM

Geocheleone has been MIA for months now, he’s my homeboy. Not a letter, not a “cya” …nothing…*sniff*…

ted c on June 16, 2010 at 10:49 PM

I’ve kept an eye out for him to let him know.

Lanceman on June 16, 2010 at 10:50 PM

Lots of folks who went there are seldom around any more. Knucklehead and Hornetsting are hardly ever here. It makes me sad.

Cindy Munford on June 16, 2010 at 10:46 PM

Cinfy Munford: I agree,and I also miss Entelechy!!:)

canopfor on June 16, 2010 at 10:50 PM

The leading intellectual lights of Congress (Waxman, Markey, Kerry & Lieberman) have heard that this limitation has something to do with the Laws of Thermodynamics and they have directed their staffs to find a way to have them repealed. The Won has promised to sign the repeal bill as soon as it’s passed.

ya2daup on June 16, 2010 at 10:35 PM

Physics is just another charter of negative liberties, dont’cha know.

If he could, he’d wilfully circumvent those laws, as well.

massrighty on June 16, 2010 at 10:50 PM

canopfor on June 16, 2010 at 10:12 P
====================================
And Obama canceled any man flight mission to Mars. What was he thinkin’? Obama’s only solution would be to evacuate this planet. No, I take that back. It probably is in violation of the Jones Act.

Electrongod on June 16, 2010 at 10:18 PM

Electrongod:Yup,he wants to land on an asteriod,maybe its
safe for him not to risk humans,I dunno!

When Obama spoke at NASA,he only talked to the
higher up management,all workers were not allow
ed to attend!

I think,either way,that sends a message!!!!!:)

canopfor on June 16, 2010 at 10:55 PM

I also miss Entelechy!!:)

canopfor on June 16, 2010 at 10:50 PM

She has been gone a long time. Somehow I don’t think we lost her or highhopes to FB. I haven’t seen thomassur either but he might be busy with the ranch right now.

Cindy Munford on June 16, 2010 at 10:55 PM

Here’s the similarities:

America Held Hostage, Day 440

Captain America on June 16, 2010 at 10:49 PM

dude, i remember the count on the news every night—5:30..night after night…each broadcast–the count, the blindfolded hostages, on and on again. It really wore on and I think this oil spill is doing the same on the country.

ted c on June 16, 2010 at 10:55 PM

Lanceman on June 16, 2010 at 10:48 PM

But can’t the just ignore the people they are annoyed with? Tell them I miss them.

Cindy Munford on June 16, 2010 at 10:56 PM

hey, if there’s a bunch of hotair folks over on facebook, tell them to share the love with the rest of us over here. It’s been a while since we’ve had a 750+ comment thread–even longer since we’ve been >1000….at least since Salem took over….hmmmmm

ted c on June 16, 2010 at 10:59 PM

the eye-crossing blather about the “meaning of our own lives.”

Allahpundit is a comic genius. LOL

inviolet on June 16, 2010 at 11:00 PM

Cindy Munford on June 16, 2010 at 10:56 PM

Cindy, it has little to do with that.
Look. Invent a sock puppet on FB and click on one of their names next time you see them. Send Hornetsting or Knucklehead a personal friend request telling them that the sock puppet is you. They will help you find your way around. If you discover that you don’t like FB, simply delete your profile.

Lanceman on June 16, 2010 at 11:04 PM

canopfor on June 16, 2010 at 10:55 PM

Concur.

Electrongod on June 16, 2010 at 11:05 PM

Honestly, I don’t get it.

Honestly, I’m not surprised.

Ronnie on June 16, 2010 at 11:05 PM

Cindy Munford on June 16, 2010 at 10:55 PM

I noticed some missing names lately, but I’ve been out of the loop for a few months. Did a Hotair user set up a special Facebook account or something? Or is this a secret society which involves a strict hazing process that may or may not include the elephant walk?

Daemonocracy on June 16, 2010 at 11:06 PM

canopfor on June 16, 2010 at 10:50 PM
========================================

Cindy Munford on June 16, 2010 at 10:55 PM

Cindy Munford: I don’t know where they are,wisdom and reason!:)

canopfor on June 16, 2010 at 11:07 PM

Lanceman on June 16, 2010 at 11:04 PM

No, I catch enough heat for the time I’m on HotAir. Just pass on my love.

Cindy Munford on June 16, 2010 at 11:08 PM

Daemonocracy on June 16, 2010 at 11:06 PM

Just click on their names when you see them. Knucklehead, Hornetsting, MeatHeadinCa.

Lanceman on June 16, 2010 at 11:08 PM

No, I catch enough heat for the time I’m on HotAir. Just pass on my love.

Cindy Munford on June 16, 2010 at 11:08 PM

Will do.

Lanceman on June 16, 2010 at 11:09 PM

Daemonocracy on June 16, 2010 at 11:06 PM

It’s like the HotAir Illuminati on FB.

Good Solid B-Plus on June 16, 2010 at 11:10 PM

For the first time, I’m kind of glad Obama beat McCain. If McCain was President now, the libtards would have treated it like Katrina Part 2 except even more blame would go to the President.

Speedwagon82 on June 16, 2010 at 11:10 PM

Captain America on June 16, 2010 at 10:49 PM
=================

ted c on June 16, 2010 at 10:55 PM

ted c :I’ll add Rush’s,I was thinking,of Bill Clinton
on the Rush Limbaugh Show,America Held Hostage!!:)

canopfor on June 16, 2010 at 11:11 PM

Daemonocracy on June 16, 2010 at 11:06 PM

A couple of people set up a FB account for HotAir folks but that is as much info as I can give you. I am a big chicken about putting myself out there but I know many regulars go there.

Cindy Munford on June 16, 2010 at 11:11 PM

It’s like the HotAir Illuminati on FB.

Good Solid B-Plus on June 16, 2010 at 11:10 PM

Whoa, let’s not get carried away! ;)

Lanceman on June 16, 2010 at 11:12 PM

Cindy Munford on June 16, 2010 at 11:11 PM

You would be over there more than here if you went there. Like I said, you can invent a profile and have absolutely nothing correct on it. You might have to prove you are who you say you are, maybe by knowing something obscure. I’d go with Knucklehead. Knucklehead’s name is the only one the same there as here.
You would become addicted to it, so maybe you’re right in not joining.

Lanceman on June 16, 2010 at 11:16 PM

all I hear is a vuvezuela.

rob verdi on June 16, 2010 at 10:08 PM

At this moment, I’d rather hear the vuvu’s than Zero. Vuvuzela has no deadly force over my wallet!

The.Worst.Lies.Ever.

ABC/CBS/NBC/CNN/MSNBC/evenFNC don’t bust him, hell my 8-year-old can pop ten of Zero’s lies!

The Twilight Zone, the freakin’ Twilight Zone!!

Who is John Galt on June 16, 2010 at 11:22 PM

What I found hardest to believe — this headline on the Philadelphia Daily News front cover today: “OBOMBA”

either orr on June 16, 2010 at 11:23 PM

“The one answer I will not settle for is the idea that this challenge is too big and too difficult to meet. You see, the same thing was said about our ability to produce enough planes and tanks in World War II. The same thing was said about our ability to harness the science and technology to land a man safely on the surface of the moon.

Which is why I’ve killed the F-22, slashed Missile Defense and canceled the Moon Program.”

Noel on June 16, 2010 at 11:25 PM

My Grandfather always told me that history repeats itself. Voila!

MCGIRV on June 16, 2010 at 11:27 PM

Lanceman on June 16, 2010 at 11:16 PM

Yep, I am old and I have met me. Who do the ladies argue with? That’s a lot of intellect and verbal skills spent on like minded people.

Cindy Munford on June 16, 2010 at 11:31 PM

Similarities? they are both one and done.

TonyR on June 16, 2010 at 11:38 PM

Cindy Munford on June 16, 2010 at 11:31 PM

All I can say is try it. You can always quit. Unless you are worried about becoming addicted, then don’t try it.

Lanceman on June 16, 2010 at 11:39 PM

We are too smart and experienced to still be making it up as we go along!

Who is John Galt on June 16, 2010 at 11:43 PM

Lanceman on June 16, 2010 at 11:39 PM

Maybe this should go over on the pot thread? lol.

Kristamatic on June 16, 2010 at 11:54 PM

got this scathing new RNC ad via instapundit. check it.

carville’s voice over sinks it deep….

ted c on June 16, 2010 at 11:55 PM

ted c on June 16, 2010 at 11:55 PM

Isn’t that from Allah’s post earlier this evening? I didn’t watch the John Stewart link.

Cindy Munford on June 17, 2010 at 12:09 AM

got this scathing new RNC ad via instapundit. check it.

carville’s voice over sinks it deep….

ted c on June 16, 2010 at 11:55 PM

ted c: Excellent,hey,notice Obama has shifted from bank
rupting BP,to in the best interests that BP stays
in business!!

On a side note,Tiber was drilled to a depth of 35,
000 feet and capped,then TransOceanic moved on to
Macondo Block 252,at 22,500 feet at failure!!:)
======================================================

BP’s Tiber Find Underscores Challenges of Deepwater Exploration

canopfor on June 17, 2010 at 12:12 AM

All I could think of while watching this is how did we let that man in there to defile the Oval Office?

scotash on June 17, 2010 at 12:14 AM

On drilling,in the Artic,more than 50 Billion Barrels!!
========================================================

Arctic Seismic Programs

canopfor on June 17, 2010 at 12:17 AM

Thanks for the link to the Limbaugh transcript, Allahpundit.

I find your remarks above otherwise worthless.

This brief video is a brief, light paper cut.
…as in “death by 1,000 paper cuts.”

The more “voices” out there making such connections “explicit” to other Americans, the better.

Lockstein13 on June 17, 2010 at 4:09 AM

BOP connection to casing at Seabed (PCCI)report for MMS.
========================================================

canopfor on June 17, 2010 at 5:00 AM

Malaise

Philly on June 17, 2010 at 5:23 AM

Hey AP, why does the comparison matter? Because the Messiah-in-Chief sold himself as something other than Carter. But the stark reality is, he has more in common with Carter than just about any other President.

WordsMatter on June 17, 2010 at 7:02 AM

Daemonocracy on June 16, 2010 at 11:06 PM

Cindy Munford on June 16, 2010 at 11:11 PM

The FB group is called HARP.
IDK: I enjoy checking in occasionally, but still prefer the original…and it seems there’s an aweful lot of whining that goes on over there…mostly about this site.

Chewy the Lab on June 17, 2010 at 7:11 AM

The polls will put Øbama down for the count. If we keep our boot on his neck at least until Jan 1, we may live long enough to repeal some of the damage he has done.

petefrt on June 17, 2010 at 7:14 AM

I think taking basically word for word the synthetic rubber analogy from WWII from Carter’s malaise speech is a little spooky. The other thing that is spooky is the “no solutions outside the liberal ideaology” mindset. The “let’s pretend science is just a function of research dollars” bullsh*t also not good.

Conan on June 17, 2010 at 8:49 AM

Carter was a disaster but the country survived. The gas was rationed and lines were long, but we got through it. This is much worse than Carter especially if we don’t find someone like a Reagan to take over after dear leader is gone.

Kissmygrits on June 17, 2010 at 9:31 AM

We got through it because the idiot served one term.

What I want to know is DID OBAMA KNOW ABOUT THE LITHIUM BEFORE HE DEPLOYED MORE TROOPS???

BLOOD FOR LITHIUM

griv on June 17, 2010 at 10:49 AM

Cindy Munford on June 16, 2010 at 10:55 PM

lol…I googled thomassur. Had planned to google several to see if they were posting elsewhere, to add to the conversation. Thomas Sur was the first that popped up and on FB! BTW, I read HA and several other sites every day. I’m a relatively new Republican (since Nov. 2008) and trying to learn as much as I can before jumping in with my 9th grade comprehension level (sarc). HA is my fave.

mtb on June 17, 2010 at 11:18 AM

Where do you think he got his talking points?
He freakin’ played this vintage slop over and over again until it was ingrained in his psyche….

CynicalOptimist on June 17, 2010 at 12:08 PM