Video: Christie talks about real change in New Jersey

posted at 2:55 pm on June 16, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

This might be the most successful and popular use of “Judgment Day” since Terminator II.  Conservatives have fallen in love with New Jersey Governor Chris Christie in just a few short months, thanks to his plain-speaking style.  That’s a remarkable turnaround from the primary campaign in the Garden State, when Christie faced a serious challenge from conservative darling Steve Lonegan and had to defend his own position.  One year later, Tea Party activists wonder when Christie might consider a run at the White House (via The Right Scoop):

One of the questions that often comes up in analysis is whether the American electorate is really prepared for the kind of tough budget cuts that are necessary to get the country back on the right track of fiscal responsibility. Christie is making New Jersey into a test case. Its electorate tilts towards the Democrats, but they elected Christie handily to reject the Leftward policies that ran the state aground. Christie has publicly and explicitly challenged the public-sector unions, has already enacted significant cuts to the budget and some services, and offers this kind of defense of conservative policies on a regular basis. If New Jersey voters wind up rewarding Christie for his clear-eyed and honest work, it should serve as a lesson that voters really do understand that there is no free lunch, and that they’re prepared to reward fiscal responsibility over pork-barrel politics.

Update: As if to prove Christie’s point, Cubachi notes that one union in New Jersey plans to hike dues in order to spend money fighting Christie.

Comments

The real Boss from Jersey.

RobCon on June 16, 2010 at 2:57 PM

Didn’t we do this already today?

NJ Red on June 16, 2010 at 2:58 PM

Finally, a conservative willing to fall on his sword for the cause.

Mayhem on June 16, 2010 at 3:00 PM

Palin-Christie 2012.

profitsbeard on June 16, 2010 at 3:01 PM

He’s showing that what it takes to defeat bullies is to stand up to them. More conservative leaders need to just stand up to liberals and their policies and then the voters will eventually follow.

Christie is leading the way.

Grafted on June 16, 2010 at 3:03 PM

We so need to outlaw public sector unions.

Count to 10 on June 16, 2010 at 3:03 PM

“Your ox is gonna get gored.”

LOVE IT

John the Libertarian on June 16, 2010 at 3:03 PM

Palin-Christie 2012.

profitsbeard on June 16, 2010 at 3:01 PM

Beauty and the Beast. And if anyone else calls Palin “beast”, I’ll tear their lungs out.

Doughboy on June 16, 2010 at 3:04 PM

I guess the saying is true “It’s over when the fat guy sings”.

LincolntheHun on June 16, 2010 at 3:04 PM

Mama Grizzlie & The Fat Man ’12.

portlandon on June 16, 2010 at 3:04 PM

Now there’s an awesome leader.

Vashta.Nerada on June 16, 2010 at 3:06 PM

No need for a teleprompter here.

HellCat on June 16, 2010 at 3:07 PM

I have such a man crush on this guy…

… Is that gay?

Seven Percent Solution on June 16, 2010 at 3:07 PM

“We did our job”

Nice concept. Maybe Obama should give it a shot.

LASue on June 16, 2010 at 3:07 PM

… Is that gay?

Seven Percent Solution on June 16, 2010 at 3:07 PM

If it is, lots of cons are coming out of the closet.

lorien1973 on June 16, 2010 at 3:08 PM

I liked how he made an emotional appeal (keeping his kids and future grandkids close) without seeming cloying like when lefties tell us to do something “for the children”.

myrenovations on June 16, 2010 at 3:08 PM

I think I’m in love.

parteagirl on June 16, 2010 at 3:09 PM

Regan: “It’s amazing how much you can get done when you don’t care who gets the credit.”

Christie: “Let’s roll up our sleeves and go to work.”

Obama: “I just want to know whose ass to kick.”

America: “Obama, look in the mirror! There is an ass at both ends of what you see. Your political symbol is emblematic.”

The Rock on June 16, 2010 at 3:09 PM

He would clean O’Bummer’s clock.

All the elites and so-called intellectuals wax on about the O’s “oratory” skills, when in fact, they are contrived, scripted words fed to him by a teleprompter.

He does not have the ability, like Christie does to talk for an extended period of time unscripted and spontaneously and put forth inspiring, common sense straight talk.

People yearn for this much more so than the sugary, lofty, high-minded platitude-ridden drek that the O spews out on a regular basis. His speeches mean nothing. They are all empty sugar dust calories and do not satisfy like the meat of a Christie “talk”.

Oh man, a debate………..can you feel it?

Why I’m getting a tingle in my leg!

Opposite Day on June 16, 2010 at 3:13 PM

I think I’m in love.

parteagirl on June 16, 2010 at 3:09 PM

Step back…I saw him first. :D

hoosiermama on June 16, 2010 at 3:14 PM

leg tingles….okay, maybe not.

ted c on June 16, 2010 at 3:14 PM

Mama Grizzlie & The Fat Man ‘12.

portlandon on June 16, 2010 at 3:04 PM

Definitely a step up from “Mom Jeans” and “Plugs”.

Extrafishy on June 16, 2010 at 3:20 PM

Christie is an effective counter-message to the detached and ethereal Obama. Chris does a good job of explaining the simple fact that government only pretends to be fiscally responsible.

dedalus on June 16, 2010 at 3:21 PM

Bada Bing!

cmsinaz on June 16, 2010 at 3:22 PM

Conservatives have not made the case (not even tried, really), that we are BORN FREE and strive for INDEPENDENCE right out of the womb. Any child starting around age 2 begins to insist, “Let me do it!” It is not cruel to let children try and fail, even if they get hurt–rather it’s degrading to do everything for them. Especially well into adulthood.

But liberalism, nannystatism, progressivism, marxism all deny human nature itself, crippling the instinct to stand on one’s own feet and keep head above shoulders. This authoritarian crippling of jackals that the LEFT disguises as magnanimity MUST be identified and called out. Christie is doing well, but where is the real gauntlet? Where is the real case for LIBERTY vs. TYRANNY from the mouths of leaders (notwithstanding our unelected leaders, Levin et al)?

Western_Civ on June 16, 2010 at 3:23 PM

Christie-Palin 2012

pseudonominus on June 16, 2010 at 3:23 PM

I got a man crush.
I don’t really swing that way…
For Christie? Who knows!

Haiku Guy on June 16, 2010 at 3:23 PM

man the MSM is going to attempt to destroy this guy.

jp on June 16, 2010 at 3:24 PM

man the MSM is going to attempt to destroy this guy.

jp on June 16, 2010 at 3:24 PM

He’ll eat the lamestream media alive. I’m speaking metaphorically of course(honest!).

Doughboy on June 16, 2010 at 3:25 PM

Palin-Christie 2012.

profitsbeard on June 16, 2010 at 3:01 PM

Sorry. You got that backwards. That big fat mic wop beautiful bastard from Jersey is the next great communicator. Sarah Fay is damaged goods in so many people’s eyes. She needs to rehabilitate her credibility. Six years as VP should prepare her for the time that cannoli-devouring Christie drops of a heart attack in the middle of his second term.

tommylotto on June 16, 2010 at 3:27 PM

Man do we need someone to talk sense like this, sitting here amidst a second Jimmy Carter presidency.

Greek Fire on June 16, 2010 at 3:28 PM

So they’re going to increase their revenue in order to waste more money on advertising instead of funding their pension plans?

BacaDog on June 16, 2010 at 3:28 PM

Doughboy on June 16, 2010 at 3:04 PM

And Christie is a beast in the most manliest way.

CarolynM on June 16, 2010 at 3:31 PM

BacaDog on June 16, 2010 at 3:28 PM

makes absolutely no sense at all….must be something in the kool-aid

cmsinaz on June 16, 2010 at 3:31 PM

BacaDog on June 16, 2010 at 3:28 PM

Then that same union will demand a pension bailout while the Union members are moaning about their extortion level dues and how crappy they are treated.

When do people learn?

Holger on June 16, 2010 at 3:32 PM

LEADERSHIP

jake-the-goose on June 16, 2010 at 3:34 PM

OT: watching the presser now….if I’m hearing them right, folks can make multiple claims for monies…this feels like a slippery slope to me….

cmsinaz on June 16, 2010 at 3:38 PM

Jindal/Christie 2012?
Christie/Jindal 2012?

Sugar Land on June 16, 2010 at 3:39 PM

So, I guess we can’t talk him into moving out to Washington on the left coast to fix us up? All we have is a scrawny dried up bony chicken governor that knows how to spend taxpayer money and court union donations. I want plumpness!

starboardhelm on June 16, 2010 at 3:39 PM

OT: they sound like they are all over the place with these claims through this fund…

yowser!

cmsinaz on June 16, 2010 at 3:39 PM

Palin-Christie 2012.

profitsbeard on June 16, 2010 at 3:01 PM

tommylotto on June 16, 2010 at 3:27 PM

How so? She’s damaged by buffoons who wouldn’t know truth if it was downloaded with a white hot poker? She’s damaged by snarling leftists who gush love juice at the sight of tall dark handsome suitors without resumes?

I do understand your POV, but she’s not anymore damaged than Christie would be (will be) if and when the leftist media machine decides where and how. Was George Allen “damaged goods”? No, but the media decided he was de facto damaged and so he was. Did you go along with that? Is Michele Bachmann “damaged goods.” Of course not, unless your afraid of the opinions of Andrea Mitchell and Baggerson Cooper. Sharron Angle is soon to be “damaged goods” dontcha know. Don’t buy the headline if you don’t believe the story.

That said, I’d like to see her not run, because she’s serving magnificently as conscience-in-chief of Conservatism (I’d choose someone else, but she’ll do for now). Despite some crappy RINO endorsements, like Fiorina.

Western_Civ on June 16, 2010 at 3:41 PM

Dr. ZhivBlago on June 16, 2010 at 3:47 PM

Christie really connects. He is gifted with mad communication skills.

Every time I see him on video, I realize how shallow, fake and scripted The One actually is.

New Jersey has a real Governor. We all have a pretend President.

PC14 on June 16, 2010 at 3:49 PM

My new man crush, good bye Hugh Jackman. This guy will tear Woverine to shreads.

mechkiller_k on June 16, 2010 at 3:57 PM

Jindal/Christie 2012?
Christie/Jindal 2012?

Sugar Land on June 16, 2010 at 3:39 PM

Christie/Jindal 2012?
Always lead with the best hitter.

mechkiller_k on June 16, 2010 at 3:59 PM

I LOVE Christie! But man, he really needs to lay off the pasta. This guy needs to get healthy so that he is around a loooooong time.

jeffersonschild on June 16, 2010 at 4:04 PM

This guy is the real deal.

God bless you, Chris.

The Ugly American on June 16, 2010 at 4:14 PM

Magnificent fat bastard!

TheSitRep on June 16, 2010 at 4:32 PM

6min and 41 sec and I didn’t hear “Um–er–ah–ummmmm-ahhhhh”, or “IIIII-ME ME ME ME”, or “Let me be clear” or “As I’ve always said”. A leader with great communication skills and who has common sense.
I am sooo crushin’ on this guy

ZeeMI on June 16, 2010 at 4:33 PM

I see a new TV series “Truth and The Fat Man”! Christie is my hero….he really gets it!!

ihasurnominashun on June 16, 2010 at 4:39 PM

Mama Grizzlie & The Fat Man ‘12.

portlandon on June 16, 2010 at 3:04 PM

Thanks for all your phone calls posts people but the lines comments are now closed….we have a winner.

Old Hippie Vet on June 16, 2010 at 4:41 PM

When we clone Christie, please make a few extra copies to fix Europe and Japan.

fiatboomer on June 16, 2010 at 4:53 PM

I think I’m in love.

parteagirl on June 16, 2010 at 3:09 PM

No doubt about it I am DEFINITELY in love with this guy <3

huskerdiva on June 16, 2010 at 4:55 PM

I’m furious he had this speech.

Well, I should probably clarify these remarks. I’m furious that he had them minutes away from where I live, but I was working for a living instead of there supporting him. Great job governor. Keep it up.

njrob on June 16, 2010 at 4:59 PM

I don’t think even Christie’s biggest supporters saw this coming. People all over this country are starving for real leadership, and he is giving it to them. He also has a very popular way of explaining what he is doing, sounding neither threatening nor condescending. It’s amazingly refreshing.

rockmom on June 16, 2010 at 5:00 PM

tilts toward democrats? uh…earth to ed. i wish it only “tilted” toward libs here. try like 2-1 libturds, mainly because of the big cities like newark and trenton.

for this state to elect christie was just clear cut proof that even people here are rejecting marxist big ears, stretch pelosi and harry the body odor reid.

sidewinder22 on June 16, 2010 at 5:03 PM

You have to have common sense to talk that way. Libs don’t have common sense, just nonsense.

College Prof on June 16, 2010 at 5:23 PM

Western_Civ on June 16, 2010 at 3:41 PM

Sorry. I live in a reality based world. Like it or not, fair or not, Palin to many is a punch line. You can scream all day that its not fair, but that will not get you into the white house. There are certain conservatives that have a knack for disarming the liberal medial attack dogs. Rudy was obviously able to do it during his years in NY. Chris “Bob’s Big Boy” Christie has clearly been able to do it in NJ. Tina Palin, God bless her, was not able to do it. She has an image problem, and if we want to win, we need someone who can go toe-to-toe with a hostile media and end up making them look stupid, not the other way around.

tommylotto on June 16, 2010 at 5:23 PM

The unions are at a tipping point. Liberal spenders are on the ropes.
Obamacare will send every state less money than they will be forced to spend on healthcare. It is like sending your kid to the market with 20 dollars and a 30 dollar grocery list. Obamacare will be expensive for every state.

seven on June 16, 2010 at 5:32 PM

I have such a man crush on this guy…

Is that gay?

Seven Percent Solution on June 16, 2010 at 3:07 PM

I don’t know, but I just felt a tingle go up my leg brain.

RegularJoe on June 16, 2010 at 5:42 PM

Actually all that stuff about “goring oxes” does have a slightly homoerotic sound to it.

And I don’t care!!

RegularJoe on June 16, 2010 at 5:44 PM

Holy ghost of Ronald Reagan.

I do wish he would take better care of himself. He’s really big. Someone with that much of a self-control problem does concern me.

watson007 on June 16, 2010 at 5:58 PM

One more post, then I promise to leave this thread alone for a while.

Palin will never be President. I like her okay, I agree with her about pretty much everything, but she has two fatal weaknesses — and either of them is enough to kill her chances (btw, Christie is EXTRY-STRONG in both of these areas).

First, while probably a majority of people love the things she says, a lot of us HATE the way she says them. Her grammatical structure is seemingly random, so that when her words appear in print they are gibberish. This makes it VERY easy for her to be portrayed as stupid (which I certainly agree she is not). This is too large of a club to hand to a hostile media.

Second — and even more crucially — she has a thick skin, but not thick enough. When the media go after her hard, you can hear hurt and more than a little brittleness in her responses. Democrats can get away with that; Republicans cannot. Part of her charm is her Mama Grizzly attributes, her fierce loyalty to her family; but a President’s first loyalty must be to the nation, and I’m not sure Sarah Palin is capable of that.

Palin can be wealthy and powerful as a king-maker; but she will never be king, and if she tries she’ll destroy herself as king-maker as well. I hope she has advisers that will tell her this is so.

RegularJoe on June 16, 2010 at 5:59 PM

And not a teleprompter in sight!

PoodleSkirt on June 16, 2010 at 6:15 PM

Finally a politician who can add.

Mojave Mark on June 16, 2010 at 7:13 PM

I think if 0bama found himself within 10 feet of Governor Christie, he’d wet himself.

ndanielson on June 16, 2010 at 7:16 PM

RegularJoe on June 16, 2010 at 5:59 PM

Amen. Alas.

Noocyte on June 16, 2010 at 7:34 PM

This is a guy who can save America.

I love Sarah Palin and respect what she can do – and has already done – but she doesn’t strike me as the person to actually save America. Christie can. Even Reagan (before he was elected) didn’t impress me as much as this guy. But, somebody needs to kick his ass about his weight. He is cruising for a coronary – I should know, I was his size and had two before I woke up. Chris, you can’t fulfill your destiny from six feet under.

lonesomecharlie on June 16, 2010 at 7:43 PM

This guy is the Democrats worst nightmare. Usually, when you have someone like Christie, proposing legislation, the Democrats break out the war machine and shame the guy into compromising. Well, it appears, this guy knows the playbook and he isn’t budging. If his ideas work, and New Jersey sees the light, at the end of the tunnel, in a couple of years, the Democrats are toast and they know it. I expect a full fledged war machine to go after Christie, and his policies, before the 2012 election.

bflat879 on June 16, 2010 at 8:01 PM

That’s a grand slam….

phreshone on June 16, 2010 at 8:04 PM

certain media outlets in NJ are reporting that the Christie town halls are “staged” that only Christie supporters are allowed in. There is no evidence of that.

I will end with a post I left on this clip earlier today on another site:

“I LOVE my Chris Christie! For the first time in my adult life, I have HOPE for New Jersey!”

Willie on June 16, 2010 at 8:04 PM

C

TILTS??? toward Democrats???? have you ever spent any time in New Jersey?? Jesus, it was practically a miracle that Christie won in New Jersey and the left here hits him hard EVERY DAY, read the Star Ledger or NJ.com, the Left HATES him. But the folks paying the taxes LOVE him.
And Corzine is back on Wall Street making himself richer.

Willie on June 16, 2010 at 8:13 PM

Palin-Christie 2012.

profitsbeard on June 16, 2010 at 3:01 PM

Could you freakin imagine that duo??? Holy crimony would that be a high or what!

royzer on June 16, 2010 at 8:28 PM

How can he make such a great speech without a teleprompter? It’s like he’s competent or something.

hadsil on June 16, 2010 at 8:55 PM

THAT’S going to win some converts from the unions. Although not as intended.

Oh, and Christy/Daniels 2012!!!!11!! Both have great ideas and substance, and Christy brings the fire that Daniels lacks.

iurockhead on June 16, 2010 at 9:30 PM

Well, it is kinda, um, biblical, ya know.

darii on June 17, 2010 at 12:18 AM

Chris Christie is a true New Jersian. His plea to raise the next generation WITHIN THE STATE without an exodus of our posterity is really incredible. He hit the nail on the head. The financial mess in NJ has done exactly that. When I was 13 I moved out of the mostly Democratic NJ so my mother and step father could find employment in an easier state. And my dad and brother stayed behind. Now we’re so split up we hardly see each other any more, although much of that is aldo due to my husband’s military career, but my entire family has left NJ for other states.

And his point is well made: that is, that this fiscal irresponsibility and wasted along with unbearable taxation splits up the family itself and our way of life.

Chris Christie is the real deal. I love that man.

Amy Proctor on June 17, 2010 at 2:02 AM

sorry for all the typos above.

Amy Proctor on June 17, 2010 at 2:04 AM

hadsil on June 16, 2010 at 8:55 PM

It’s what happens when someone speaks from the heart about what they truly believe.

Saltysam on June 17, 2010 at 2:24 AM

We need to fill the Senate and Congress with people like him. I admire this man so much!

wi farmgirl on June 17, 2010 at 9:00 AM