Obama’s disaster of a disaster speech

posted at 8:48 am on June 16, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Usually when I catch a political speech after its delivery, I read the speech before reading its reviews.  Yesterday, our Green Room contributor Sarjex came into town with her partner and had dinner with us after a brief appearance on yesterday’s TEMS, so I didn’t get a chance to do any of it until very late last night.  When I did read it, it shocked me at just how bad and tone-deaf Obama’s address was — and when I watched it on video, his delivery was even worse.

Andrew Malcolm has a great review that should be read in full, but here is a key point:

But watching the president and hearing him was a little creepy; that early portion of the address was robotic, lacked real energy, enthusiasm. And worst of all specifics. He was virtually detail-less.

After almost two months of waiting through continuously contradictory reports, an anxious American public wanted to know, HOW are you going to accomplish all this?

Even Obama’s cheerleaders over at MSNBC were complaining. “Where was the How in this speech?”demanded Keith Olbermann. Seriously.

Everyone’s assumed that fixing the leak was a given since Day Four, which was still five days before the Democrat got his big plane and presidential entourage down there. …

Trust me, the president said, tomorrow I’m going to give those BP execs what-for. As CBS’ Mark Knoller notedon his Twitter account, the president has allotted exactly 20 whole minutes this morning — 1,200 fleeting seconds — to his first-ever conversation with the corporation responsible for the disaster.

Then, he’s got an important lunch with Joe “I Witnessed the World Cup’s First Tie” Biden.

This speech was suited for Day 1 of a catastrophe, not Day 57.  It had no answers at all.  None.  It’s as if Rip van Obama awoke after eight weeks of slumber and had been told just that morning about a massive problem in the Gulf of Mexico.  For a man who has repeatedly claimed to be “fully engaged since Day 1,” and who repeated that claim last night, Obama gave every impression of still being in the spitballing stage of crisis management.

Obama didn’t even offer an original thought for spitballing.  In his short presidency, Obama has had two responses to any issue: appoint a czar or create a commission.  The auto industry got a czar, for instance, and the deficit that Obama’s spending has driven out of sight got a commission.  Last night, Obama wanted people to know he was taking this seriously by appointing a czar and a commission, the latter of which had been announced weeks ago.  That was the sum total of his substantive response last night.  Small wonder Obama chose an Oval Office speech rather than face another press conference.

During the 2008 campaign, we repeatedly criticized Obama’s lack of executive experience, but perhaps even Obama’s critics might be surprised to see how badly Obama has performed in this crisis.  He has nothing left to offer; Obama is running on empty.  In the face of a crisis that has unfolded for almost two full months, Obama chose to talk about wind turbines.  A nation waited to see if a leader would emerge from the White House, and instead it got an absent-minded professor desperate to change the subject.

Even Obama’s supporters have begun to see what his critics have long known: Obama is an empty suit.  His sorry performance last night showed just how little he understands his job, the situation, and the expectations of the American people.

Update: Nick Gillespie sums up his impression of Obama’s speech in two words: “Icarus Descending.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

You know, like “Spills” or something.

Anybody?

av8tr on June 16, 2010 at 9:07 AM

“Dribbles”

ya2daup on June 16, 2010 at 12:02 PM

Seriously, this is going to cast a huge shadow over Obama’s presidency no matter what happens in the future. “Icarus Descending” indeed. President Obama is done in 2012 as long as we stick with this guy.

dnlchisholm on June 16, 2010 at 12:05 PM

My favorite part of the speech.

Obama: Hey America, we don’t know how to do this whole green energy thing or how it will work, but let us confiscate hundreds of billions of dollars from you so we can try to figure it out.

What leadership.

JohnInCA on June 16, 2010 at 11:17 AM

Plus all the land that the govt is buying up, taking over in the west.. I couldn’t find a recent article, this is 08, but it seems like they have more land now.. Me thinks they don’t want ANY drilling anywhere on land.. http://strangemaps.wordpress.com/2008/06/17/291-federal-lands-in-the-us/

reshas1 on June 16, 2010 at 12:06 PM

In Louisiana we have endless commissions and studies to address restoring the coastline. We are tired of commissions. Commissions don’t do anything. 30 years have shown this to be a fact.

Kermit on June 16, 2010 at 12:06 PM

Kermit on June 16, 2010 at 12:06 PM

I propose a commission to study the effectiveness of commissions.

CDeb on June 16, 2010 at 12:09 PM

Slick Obama Wages War On Oil Beachfront Assault–as if all the life sucked out of the Gulf and Atlantic clockwise currents and tidal waters, COMPOUNDED by dispersing chemicals, are too negligible for this “green” potus to consider.

maverick muse on June 16, 2010 at 12:10 PM

Some one down in Obama appoints a Czar thread was decribing people in Louisiana in stunned silence yesterday. Completely numb, beyond comprehension of what’s to come.

I can’t even imagine being in their shoes today, after Obama’s speech.

Sir Napsalot on June 16, 2010 at 12:12 PM

I want someone to tell me what happens if this thing cannot be stopped. It’s estimated there is 2.5 billion gallons of oil in this well? What happens if we dump all of that into the world’s oceans?

I am not quick to subscribe to apocalyptic conspiracy theories or stuff like that, but this does feel very “end times” to me. And even if it isn’t, it is bound to cause a lot of pain and misery for a long time if it can’t be stopped. I’d just like to hear or read some theories of what we can expect if the well simply has to bleed out.

I’m thinking at a minimum I’m going to Sam’s this week and buying as much water as I can get my hands on. Again, I’m not one to panic — I’m still in the stock market when many people here have bailed and gone to gold and canned goods — but I’m having a hard time envisioning how this can possibly end well.

NoLeftTurn on June 16, 2010 at 12:12 PM

I’m getting pretty tired of people thinking that Obama’s problem is his “coolness”, or “detachment”, or “lack of fire in the belly”, or some such nonsense.

Obama’s problem is that he has let an oil spill fester for almost two months, and he thinks that his big problem is that he needed to give a rousing speech about all of his fun ideas on sustainable energy. Does anyone even watch or listen to these things anymore, other than political junkies?

His speech should have been “My fellow Americans, I hereby pledge to do no more speeches on anything until I fix this. That is all.”

RINO in Name Only on June 16, 2010 at 12:16 PM

On second thought…

RINO in Name Only on June 16, 2010 at 12:16 PM

RINO in Name Only on June 16, 2010 at 12:16 PM

I have an idea.

Let’s send Obama out to Pebble Beach to golf for a few days and bring Tiger Woods to D.C. to see if he can beef up the spill response.

DaydreamBeliever on June 16, 2010 at 9:40 AM

Yeah, Tiger can plug just about any old hole!

Ogabe on June 16, 2010 at 12:20 PM

Obama: [the capsule speech]

“Here’s my Plan!… we plan something. Good night.”

profitsbeard on June 16, 2010 at 11:49 AM

ROFLMAO.

Good one pb. Could have said ….. we plan to plan something. Just as funny and just as accurate.

fogw on June 16, 2010 at 12:23 PM

According to Business Insider, which links to NYTimes, BP has caved and will create $20 billion escrow fund to be administered by the guy who is the “pay czar” (Ken Feingold) for the banks.

Wethal on June 16, 2010 at 12:23 PM

For those of us who prefer visuals of POTUS speech last night, here is one that is fairly close.

nor on June 16, 2010 at 12:24 PM

So, the plan remains: Let the Gulf Coast bleed out, while BP and Obama play CYA.

Christien on June 16, 2010 at 12:24 PM

Excellent visual of what last night’s speech was really about.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkZXwEx2-iw A breakdown of the time and effort Obama spent on each part of his speech.

ButterflyDragon on June 16, 2010 at 9:59 AM

I wonder if you played this video backwards, if the sign language would clearly say: Help me! I am trapped in this body and my puppet masters are making me do this!!

While watching I said, so what is bigger than an Epic Fail? My hubs quips: Obama Fail?

Kristamatic on June 16, 2010 at 12:25 PM

POLITICO: Obama Used “Commander-In-Chief” Language

Lourdes on June 16, 2010 at 12:28 PM

Christien on June 16, 2010 at 12:24 PM

+100

Shiny_Tiara on June 16, 2010 at 12:28 PM

Local gulf coast officials are tearing out their hair trying to comprehend and comply with seventeen (as in seven more than 10) federal agencies falling all over themselves to do The Boss’ bidding and help and impose and superimpose their visions and regulations on what is a war zone with hundreds of ships and some 30,000 people involved, many of them frightened. And all of them inexperienced on a disaster of this scale.

Seventeen agencies!!

Who is in charge of what?

I wish someone would get their hands of the flow chart that shows how this maze is put together. For someone who really pushes his bottom up/grassroots theories, Obama sure does like the top down communication style. Just like his comment that he hadn’t met with BP CEO because they have a Board that calls the shots and the CEO is just the hired help. So the CEO is not equal to Obama on the communication flow chart. Typical elitist attitude.

I really was hoping that Obama would channel Nixon last night when he sat down in that chair and the words.. I resign” .. would come out of his mouth.

Texas Gal on June 16, 2010 at 12:28 PM

If EVER a catastrophe required law enforcement vs. declaration of war on the oil shooting into the water and migrating everywhere, wouldn’t NOW suffice?

The catastrophe occurred because BP cut corners and all along, no regulators inspected and ordered corrections.

Of course, law enforcement matters in PREVENTION of catastrophes.

By declaring WAR on the oil slick, is Obama ordering our military to cure the problem, troops to the scene of carnage–NOW THAT TWO MONTHS HAVE PASSED while Obama refused Jindal’s requests for the Army Corps of Engineers to get at the solution?!

maverick muse on June 16, 2010 at 12:31 PM

Ed:

A nation waited to see if a leader would emerge from the White House, and instead it got an absent-minded professor desperate to change the subject a totally inadequate two bit saleman to pitch some uselss trinkets.

There.

Sir Napsalot on June 16, 2010 at 12:31 PM

Fully engaged. Solid B+

Kenosha Kid on June 16, 2010 at 12:32 PM

Sorry… missed it…

The Washington Nationals were on…

Khun Joe on June 16, 2010 at 12:32 PM

NoLeftTurn on June 16, 2010 at 12:12 PM

I watched some program on (I think it was) NatGeo yesterday afternoon and it was explaining what was transcribed from the Mayan doodahs, whatever they’re called, the things in which the 2012 Big Deal is announced and described.

When transcribed, what it actually says is that (I paraphrase) ‘the end (of the current epoch or period or time) (will come as) black from on high’ or “as blackness”.

I don’t know if this forecasts “end times” as the Bible does, but, it’s certainly the forecast of something new to happen after 2012 and whatever is taking place now and up to that time, to pass away “as blackness” or to arrive as “black from on high”.

Lourdes on June 16, 2010 at 12:33 PM

Texas Gal on June 16, 2010 at 12:28 PM

Worth a prayer.

maverick muse on June 16, 2010 at 12:34 PM

Del Dolemonte on June 16, 2010 at 11:28 AM

Del: If you had read the whole Reich commentary, you would recognize that he concluded that ObaMao should have gone gangbusters in pushing for more “Green” legislation. Reich thinks that ObaMoa did not go far enough in pushing the agenda.

onlineanalyst on June 16, 2010 at 12:34 PM

Obama: Let me be clear. As the President I have lots of things to do. I have to plan stuff, decide what my stances are for the day, maybe tell Malia a story about the damn hole. SO, in an act of leadership, I am installing a Presidential Scheduling Czar. This person will divide up my very valuable time so I can go golfing, see some hoops, help Michelle in the garden, give some speeches, and think about the oil spill some more. So from this moment forward, the Presidential Schedule Czar is who you should hold responsible for how I spend my time. If I can’t make it to the gulf – it’s not me, I want to, I really do. It’s Scheduling Czar. If something else should blow up or spill and I can;t get around to it for – you know- 40 days or whatever… Not me; it’s the Scheduling Czar.
Thank you; peace out.

Free Indeed on June 16, 2010 at 12:34 PM

NoLeftTurn on June 16, 2010 at 12:12 PM

I also read some commenting a few days ago (can’t now relocate it, sorry, as to source) but someone with a relatively credible physical sciences education was describing how, if left unabated for much longer, the Gulf Oil Spill would eventually negatively impact the global environment very, very badly. Oil spill would move from out of the Gulf, into the Atlantic, across the Atlantic and then pose ruin to global conditions (certainly devastate the oceans).

Sounded pretty scary…

Lourdes on June 16, 2010 at 12:37 PM

Sorry… missed it…

The Washington Nationals were on…

Khun Joe on June 16, 2010 at 12:32 PM

I’d rather watch re-runs on the Weather Channel than an Obama speech.

Daggett on June 16, 2010 at 12:39 PM

DOTUS…………..NOT destroying the United States quickly enough for MSNBC?

Fleeing petro stocks of oil companies in 4…..3…..2…

PappyD61 on June 16, 2010 at 12:40 PM

10 minute “meeting” with BP?

Disgusting but in keeping with DOTUS and his style (Golf now, leadership later).

PappyD61 on June 16, 2010 at 12:41 PM

Can I just say right now I’m enjoying each and every time Obama opens his mouth? I won’t listen to him, but the aftermath is always enjoyable.

I knew he was going to be a disaster. But this exceeds even my worst fears. And it’d be comical if he wasn’t scr*wing the rest of us over with his incompetence.

englishqueen01 on June 16, 2010 at 12:42 PM

I can’t even muster a laugh at this pitiful stoned statement from Mike Allen at Politico: POLITICO: Obama Used “Commander-In-Chief” Language
Lourdes on June 16, 2010 at 12:28 PM

“Someday, a hundred years or more in the future, somebody might invent Cold Fusion – or something. So let’s all concentrate on that — and forget about about the disaster that’s going on RIGHT NOW.”

Oh yeah. That’s just what you want to hear from a military leader. Patton would be awed.

(BTW, do that guy’s eyes always look like that? That’s one weird hombre.)

logis on June 16, 2010 at 12:43 PM

NoLeftTurn on June 16, 2010 at 12:12 PM

Don’t know if you saw my post on the previous page, but you might check out last night’s thread on the speech on the comments Page 1 canopfor 8:01. He has a link “pensacola fishingforum.com?Toic579272.aspx” that someone who seems in the know tells what is going on underneath at the well site. It’s a long read but I found it riveting and very scary. Basically, this person says there’s no way to stop it and the end result could be biblical in proportion.

silvernana on June 16, 2010 at 12:44 PM

logis on June 16, 2010 at 12:43 PM

Or, to improve on an example in the LA Times, “My house is on fire, so I’m going to sue the builder and raise taxes on wood.”

Daggett on June 16, 2010 at 12:46 PM

I think the part that made me the most sick was when he attempted to invoke God’s blessing on the country- I really hope he can, but seriously, God helps those who help themselves. If you jump off a building, God will forgive you, but he will not save you from splattering on the sidewalk. We are in so much trouble.

Kristamatic on June 16, 2010 at 12:48 PM

Here’s Obama plan: Gulf Coast takes a dirt nap, and BP underwrites Barry’s successful 2012 re-election.

Christien on June 16, 2010 at 12:48 PM

The media are sheep. They are either running in one direction together or another direction together. Pathetic.

RobCon on June 16, 2010 at 1:01 PM

If the Green Jobs myth were anything more than a fairytale, there would be some evidence of some “green jobs” uptick in our economy.

The whole thing was and is a sham.

But the administration is still ready to press forward with its agenda, reality notwithstanding.

Why, you ask? Um, could it be the incestuous relationships between this administration, BP and General Electric, among others?

Yes, it could.

hillbillyjim on June 16, 2010 at 1:01 PM

hmmmm … maybe someone can photoshop the scene in the Wizard of Oz in the Wizard’s palace where Toto exposes the Wizard behind the curtain. Our photoshopper can use Obama’s photo for the fiery projected image of the “Wizard”. He can use David Axerod’s for the carnival barker behind the curtain.
Why does it seem as though Pres. Obama has the same limited executive skill set at David Axerod? Just askin’.

Mike OMalley on June 16, 2010 at 1:03 PM

I forgot to mention the Chicago Carbon-Credit Indulgences Exchange, Lockbox Gore’s insider deals, and more and more…

hillbillyjim on June 16, 2010 at 1:04 PM

I propose a commission to study the effectiveness of commissions.

I concur and second… All in favor say aye…

@ntif@n on June 16, 2010 at 1:07 PM

It’s like the dark ages. Obama thinks that if he can have his public execution (ass-kicking) in town square then nobody will pay attention to the fact that there have been no solutions.

Barry, people don’t care how forcefully you scold BP execs because that doesn’t stop any oil from flowing or clean up any beaches or oily pelicans.

Scrappy on June 16, 2010 at 1:07 PM

Spills and math are HARD!!!

@ntif@n on June 16, 2010 at 1:07 PM

Wethal on June 16, 2010 at 12:23 PM

There’s an objective third party administrator you can trust. Fox, henhouse, etc. BP will fund Obama’s re-election campaign.

a capella on June 16, 2010 at 1:10 PM

Gophergirl for President!

She admits she can do a better job:

McCain was no prize but he would have been better than this – heck I would have been better than this.

gophergirl on June 16, 2010 at 8:59 AM

She has a sense of humility and can not only admit to mistakes but apologize for them!

listen should have been listened

Sorry!

gophergirl on June 16, 2010 at 9:00 AM

Yes a breath of fresh air in the Oval Office from an ordinary human who admits they can do the job and has a sense of humor, humility and grace about it.

Really, what more can you ask for these days?

:D

Truly, no offense intended… the gulf between an ordinary citizen and elite politician is stark. I would trust the average citizen over a politician any day of the week at this point.

ajacksonian on June 16, 2010 at 1:13 PM

NoLeftTurn on June 16, 2010 at 12:12 PM

silvernana on June 16, 2010 at 12:44 PM

Oops! Should be “pensacolafishingforum.com/Topic579272.aspx”.

silvernana on June 16, 2010 at 1:16 PM

Since NASA doesn’t have anything to do these days, why isn’t Obama asking them for help too?

moonsbreath on June 16, 2010 at 1:17 PM

RobCon on June 16, 2010 at 1:01 PM

You have to understand, economic collectivism is only the symptom of liberalism, not the root cause of the disease.

Collectivism begins and ends with collective THOUGHT.

People who make decisions based on emotion never fear being wrong; relativists wilfully reject that entire concept. Liberals only fear feeling wrong. And it is ridiculously easy to avoid that feeling: always agree with whatever happens to be the perceived consensus at the moment.

When the perceived consensus changes, then what Bill Bennet referred to as “the herd of independent minds” all adapt to the new reality – with at most a transient pang of cognative dissonance.

Just watch: None of these people will ever blame THEMSELVES for failing to see the obvious and ignoring repeated warnings about Obama until it was years too late. Only the consensus has changed, and with it liberals’ collectively-agreed-upon perception of Obama has shifted.

Now they will all blame HIM for that, even though he hasn’t changed one iota.

logis on June 16, 2010 at 1:24 PM

Blue on Blue, I love it. It is entertaining when even the crazies eat their own.

closetgop on June 16, 2010 at 1:24 PM

Here’s an idea:

Appoint George W. Bush as Czar of the oil spill.

JonPrichard on June 16, 2010 at 1:36 PM

How to you get the MSM to shut up? by having Barry making mistakes. MSM has been awfully quiet.

Why does Michelle get on top? Because Barry can only f–k up.

MaiDee on June 16, 2010 at 1:37 PM

Obama’ll be polling in the low thirties by the end of summer.

Ya heard it here first.

SuperCool on June 16, 2010 at 1:46 PM

Lourdes on June 16, 2010 at 12:33 PM

The Mayans were racist too?

pedestrian on June 16, 2010 at 1:59 PM

Perfect. Of course, he will not blame the final, hubristic, meltdown of his wax wings on flying too close to the sun, but will blame Bush and global warming. I do hope he lands in a pond so he can continue to gaze lovingly at his own reflection, like Narcissus.

Buy Danish on June 16, 2010 at 2:03 PM

If Obama had any stones he would appoint Sarah Palin as leak-plugging czar. He would get a) credit for being bi-partisan, b) call her bluff (which isn’t really bluff), c) get someone involved who knows the industry, can make some calls to some people are have a clue about what’s going on, put together a plan of action, report to the American people in a focused way, d) get the freakin’ hole plugged. Sometimes it’s better to get the fire put out, no matter what the cost. It would make her look smarter and more competent than him; it would put the Palin=bimbo meme to bed; but on the other hand, he would have done what he should have been doing all along, which is getting the people involved who can get the job done.

If Obama had stones. If pigs had wings.

smellthecoffee on June 16, 2010 at 2:10 PM

Keep your eye on the ball.

The part of the speech that astonished me was when The One was going off about our energy consumption vs. our percent of the world population. That’s nothing new to us. The Marxists know it’s impossible given the world’s finite resources to bring the Third World up to our level. The Communists have long known that we would have to be brought down in order to bring them up. But the fact he brought it up-it is something deeply ingrained into the Leftist mentality, as basic to them as supply and demand is to us. OK, so why bring it up now? What’s coming our way? Is it merely Cap and Trade? He knows Cap and Trade is unpopular to most that are aware of it in the first place…so why educate more sheeple about it? Seems like he’s prepping (warning?) us.

Is the oil spill the only trigger needed to bring about resource redistribution? Or is something else needed as well? Israel vs. Iran?

One thing’s clear to me…either our Republic’s days our numbered or The One’s presidency is. Now, what if he is just a Chicago crook with strong Socialist leanings and is quite content to be a one-term president, fly around on Air Force One, golf, relish being a big shot-with the knowledge that he’ll be set for the rest of his life? What if he’s a committed Marxist and he and his people are working feverishly to make sure that he (or at least like-minded extremists) do continue to control the reigns of power?

I suspect the latter more strongly-but we won’t know that until it’s too late. He’s no Carter. His paradigm, where he’s “coming from” is far different than you or I can grasp and that includes the useful idiots like Olby and Tingles.

Dr. ZhivBlago on June 16, 2010 at 2:11 PM

…to pass away “as blackness” or to arrive as “black from on high”.
Lourdes on June 16, 2010 at 12:33 PM

The Mayans were racist too?
pedestrian on June 16, 2010 at 1:59 PM

Racist and also, apparently… Wait, what do you call it when you confuse up and down?

Whatever. If they’d named a specific color, like say chartreuse, and it turned out that oil happened to be the same color — or even if they’d said it was coming a specific direction, like “north-by-northwest,” or whatever direction the well is from Tikal — then you might theoretically have SOMETHING here.

But black isn’t even a color; it’s just a shade. So basically this “prediction” consists of one fifty-fifty shot got right, and one fifty-fifty chance gotten wrong.

Ergo, assuming that a single word in any random statement can coincide with something about almost any event that ever happens, then the statistical correlation between that statement and the BP oil spill is precisely: zero.

logis on June 16, 2010 at 2:25 PM

Dr. ZhivBlago on June 16, 2010 at 2:11 PM

One of the things I always hated about the crap that the Donks gave Bush, was that they couldn’t make up their mind whether he was a moron or an evil genius. Some of them tried to square the circle by saying he was a moron being manipulated by an evil genius (Rove). I wish critics of Obama would make up their mind. I know where I am. He IS an empty suit, a Potemkin President, Chauncey Gardner with a PhD. I think we see his people–his czars, his acolytes in congress–they will be gone with the passing of his administration. And he has only just begun to become unpopular. I said it when he was elected, and I’ll say again, he will be as popular at the end of his term as Mussolini was at the end of his. Because he will screw even his closest allies in the end. The money for him to prop up his union buddies cushy jobs and pensions just won’t be there finally, and don’t think they won’t turn on him when he pulls the plug on them. I agree he can do a hell of a lot of damage; he’s already poisoned the banking industry worse than the oil spill has mucked up the shrimp beds, and he’s working on as much of the rest of the financial sector as he can get his claws on. But I do believe that the 2010 elections will take the power away from him to implement more of his damaging programs. The only political card for him will be to play rope-a-dope with a hostile congress and hope he wins the sympathy vote in the end. But he won’t get sympathy because of all the deceit and broken promises. IMHO, he’s going to go down, and go down hard.

smellthecoffee on June 16, 2010 at 2:26 PM

hillbillyjim on June 16, 2010 at 1:04 PM

SINCE BP has been lobbying FOR Cap’n’Trade, I strongly doubt that the agreement made between — so they say — Obama and BP is anything that is NOT involved in this Chicago Ponzi scheme. I’m sure George Soros was involved since his money-stealing method is to destabilize markets.

Lourdes on June 16, 2010 at 2:27 PM

…to pass away “as blackness” or to arrive as “black from on high”.
Lourdes on June 16, 2010 at 12:33 PM

The Mayans were racist too?
pedestrian on June 16, 2010 at 1:59 PM

Whatever. If they’d named a specific color, like say chartreuse, and it turned out that oil happened to be the same color — or even if they’d said it was coming a specific direction, like “north-by-northwest,” or whatever direction the well is from Tikal — then you might theoretically have SOMETHING here…

logis on June 16, 2010 at 2:25 PM

I think “pedestrian” was being sarcastic. At least that’s how I took it.

I never associated “blackness” or “black from on high” as with any human race, by the way.

I was associating it with the possibility of devastating environmental damages wrought by the Gulf Oil leak spread throughout the oceans.

“Oil” = “black”.

“Blackness from on high” = dead dinosaurs and other lifeforms from the previous Global Extinction Event, which is all and only what “oil” is, it’s the liquified remains of deceased animal and plant life from long ago.

Lourdes on June 16, 2010 at 2:31 PM

logis on June 16, 2010 at 2:25 PM

Also, Obama’s likely one-term in office would end effective 2012 with the November Presidential election (followed by new President to move in after Inauguration in January 2013).

Old, out in 2012.

New, in with the New Year right afterward, 2013.

It COULD be conceptually interpreted that the “out” or the “old” that’s supposed to — or forecasted to be — out of the way and ended in 2012 would be replaced with a new President with the beginning of a new epoch or period of humanity, “from on high” or sent from Heaven, guided by God.

Lourdes on June 16, 2010 at 2:34 PM

The POTUS is spending only twenty minutes with the BP executives? What else is more important right now? Tee time?

d1carter on June 16, 2010 at 10:18 AM

After 8 to 10 minutes of social mingling, laughing and drinking.

Obama: “OK, BP, this is FUBAR, you guys have to cough up 20 Gazillion British pounds.”
BP exec: “We got 20B American dollars.”
Obama: “That should do it, to plug the damn hole. Anybody else got anything else? Sheriff Joe? No? How’bout you, Rammie? No? Axel?….No? We’re good then.”

Seriously, what do you expect Obama to say?

Sir Napsalot on June 16, 2010 at 2:35 PM

logis on June 16, 2010 at 2:25 PM

All sorts of versions of interpretations of the Mayan forecasting that doesn’t involve a race or races of human beings.

I have never considered race in that regard, just never occurred to me.

But the Mayan prediction/s were about “man” as they knew mankind existed. Not so much about “being Mayan” or “being of a race” or ethnicity but about simply humanity as the Mayan knew humanity to be, within their limited scope of awareness of global populations.

Lourdes on June 16, 2010 at 2:36 PM

The Mayans were racist too?

pedestrian on June 16, 2010 at 1:59 PM

Old, out in 2012.

New, in with the New Year right afterward, 2013.

and,

I have never considered race in that regard, just never occurred to me.

Lourdes on June 16, 2010 at 2:40 PM

Kermit on June 16, 2010 at 12:06 PM

But hey! Notice how he’s saving, and creating government jobs? ;) UGH!!!

Truly though. From your neighbor here in Texas…my heart, and prayers go out to you all. It’s just sad, that this massive disaster is only being used, as a means to cap and trade. It’s disgusting what Liberals will destroy, just to get their way.

capejasmine on June 16, 2010 at 3:18 PM

Dr. ZhivBlago on June 16, 2010 at 2:11 PM

smellthecoffee on June 16, 2010 at 2:26 PM

Personally, I don’t buy the moron line and never have. This guy’s no Alvin Greene, though they do have something in common-someone’s sponsoring Alvin and someone sponsored Obama. Same thing happened with Bill Clinton.

The empty-suit image is again, a difference in our paradigms, our ways of thinking. What is important to us is inconsequential to him. In other words, he and the other Marxists have a different agenda than we do. What we see as disaster, they see as victory or at the very least necessary or even inevitable in view of the Marx-Engels view of social, economic and historical evolution.

It is dangerous to judge them according to our values and our understanding of what is and what isn’t important.

Dr. ZhivBlago on June 16, 2010 at 3:26 PM

Lets see now – six months ago he killed the space industry in Houston. I’ve heard estimates on job losses as a result of of the six month moritorium on deep water drilling ranging as high as 120,000. Many of us in the area remember what south Louisiana looked like in the late eighties with half of the business in almost every town shuttered, literally boarded up. If it wasn’t so pathetic, I’d almost believe it was Chicago politics writ large. “Since you didn’t vote for me, (and in the case of Houston – well you know that is Bush territory) I’ll show you.” No more jobs every (but I’ll get the union vote).” Ya’ll happy now with what you voted for?

georgeofthedesert on June 16, 2010 at 3:26 PM

We don’t need another wet behind the ears 90 day wonder ‘officer’ to get off this ridgeline and fight our way back to our lines. We need a rock ribbed gunny seargent with a leathery neck and steely eyes. Lootenant Obama is scared sh*tless and incapable of command.

DrW on June 16, 2010 at 3:31 PM

The whole thing was and is a sham.

Yes, it could.

hillbillyjim on June 16, 2010 at 1:01 PM

Didn’t the Stimulus have BILLIONS for railroads? The Democrats are going to out-law our autos and force us to ride trains like they do in europe. All in the name of the oil spill disaster never let a crisis go to waste. People get ready; the Obama Train is coming…

TN Mom on June 16, 2010 at 4:28 PM

The low-end estimate for the volume of the Gulf of Mexico is 650 quadrillion gallons. That’s 650,000,000,000,000,000.

The Mississippi River puts 1.6 million gallons of water into that area every second. That works out to 138,240,000,000 (38.2 billion gallons) of new water per day. That’s just the Mississippi.

I’m sorry, was your question about the Gulf, or the World’s Oceans?

Jason Coleman on June 16, 2010 at 5:14 PM

NoLeftTurn on June 16, 2010 at 12:12 PM

I blame the historically bad jobs our schools do in teaching numeracy and proportion. Let me put the relative sizes into proper perspective.

2.5 billion gallons sounds like a lot, but the real question is, relative to what? To make it easier to visualize, 2.5 billion gallons would fit inside a cube that is only 700 feet on a side, with a bit of room left over.

Compared to the volume of the Earth’s oceans, it’s almost immeasurably small. The volume of Earth’s oceans is roughly 310 million cubic MILES.

This volume in question is only 0.00226 cubic miles. Distributed across it, this would be less than 8 parts per TRILLION. That’s not close to “biblical” in proportion, that disappears into meaninglessness.

Well, it won’t be distributed evenly. What about comparing it to just the Atlantic? At 76.3 million cubic miles, it’s less than 3 parts per 100 billion.

Isn’t the Gulf of Mexico much smaller, though? Relatively, yes. But it’s still 643 quadrillion gallons, or over 582,000 cubic miles of water.

Which, if nothing were done at all, would mean that this entire well capacity would amount to less that 4 parts per billion of Gulf of Mexico seawater.

Big numbers can be scary, but finding the accurate proportions involved can offer much-needed perspective.

VekTor on June 16, 2010 at 5:18 PM

“…Sarjex came into town with her partner…”

Did Ed just call Sarjex a lesbian?

Kevin M on June 16, 2010 at 5:25 PM

Where’s Alvin?

Where’s the Navy?

I respect the Coast Guard greatly, but the Navy plays UNDER the water more.

Jason Coleman on June 16, 2010 at 5:29 PM

“Daddy, why don`t you just resign? You`re not fooling anybody.”

ThePrez on June 16, 2010 at 5:53 PM

That picture shows a lot: Barry is too small for the job of POTUS.

bayview on June 16, 2010 at 6:58 PM

The American public deserves every bit of this pain for handing the country over to the Dems. We’re screwed and now it’s time to pay for our error. I didn’t vote for the little messiah and sure wish that only the people who handed over all that power were the ones who had to suffer under this loser.

BillCarson on June 17, 2010 at 12:17 AM

My old pal called me today to note that no one seems able to figure out exactly how much oil is leaking, or what its effects will be with any certainty. He pointed out that the global warming crew claims to be able to predict the temperature and ocean levels 50 years from now, so shouldn’t we call them in to consult on the spill? It should be easy for them.

Adjoran on June 17, 2010 at 1:59 AM

Oh! You non-believers! How dare you doubt “The One!”

It’s no big deal! Obama and the lefties want “green” energy. If you simply pay enough taxes, they will be able to come up with a clean and renewable source of energy that will power your car, heat AND cool your home, and also provide you with electricity.

The solution is simple: Dilithium Crystals.

Star Trek ran on Dilithium Crystals for about 20 years!
The wind doesn’t always blow and the sun doesn’t always shine, but Dilithium is pure awesomeness!!! It’s time to invade the Klingon Empire and swap “Blood for Dilithium!”

shorebird on June 17, 2010 at 3:07 AM

Morrissey, thanks for summarizing the speech. I didn’t have the heart to watch

The Prez is sitting around waiting for some gov agency to come to the rescue, when no agency will make a move unless the Prez gives a call. No agency will make a suggestion unless the Prez asks, and they will only suggest what the Prez has signaled he wants to hear. Jobs are scarce, expecially GS-13 and above

Prez acts as if the gov is an automated system with him as the ist class passenger, riding the wave

The gov does not grow jobs, and the gov does not solve problems. The gov acts upon order, otherwise staying within the regulations and directives vols 1 thru infinity

There is no ‘stop the oil and plug the hole’ agency. However, there are multiple agencies with resources at his command. There are also millions of volunteers ready to halp, for free, and many nations who would also contribute expertise if asked, to help save international wildlife if nothing else. If only Obama had a clue

Obama is not merely a fool, he is a damn fool and screwing up my beautiful country with his stupidity and ignorance

entagor on June 17, 2010 at 3:44 AM