Rush: Let me tell you about my new friend, Elton John

posted at 4:11 pm on June 15, 2010 by Allahpundit

Via the Right Scoop, he’s back from the honeymoon and ready to kibitz about the world’s highest-paid wedding singer. Don’t be daunted by the length; it’s sweet all the way through and funny in parts, especially at around 3:45 when he talks about trying to convince Elton to play the wedding by singing his songs on a hotel balcony in Hawaii (as luck would have it, EJ was staying in the room directly above Rush’s). His description of the wedding starts at 12:10 but the most interesting bit comes at 8:40 when he talks about meeting Elton backstage at an AmEx concert with his wife and hitting it off, replete with hugs and an invitation to dinner the next time the couple’s in London. Can you feel the love tonight?

The fact that the conservative elite welcomed an openly gay entertainer won’t change the “right hates gays” Narrative, which is impervious to contrary facts, but let it be noted for the record. Is it worth noting this, too?

Update: Elton’s side of things via his partner, David Furnish:

Furnish was in Europe and couldn’t attend the wedding. But John told him it was a beautiful event and Limbaugh and his bride “were incredibly gracious and very welcoming and very sweet and very appreciative.”…

By all accounts, John and the couple got along well. “I wasn’t there, but from everything Elton told me, he said Rush and his bride were incredibly charming and welcoming. And they have said they want to come and have dinner with us in England, if they pass through in their travels.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

right2bright on June 15, 2010 at 5:31 PM

Fair enough.

Esthier on June 15, 2010 at 5:56 PM

Just because someone is gay and liberal does not mean they should not be hired to sing at a Conservative wedding. Most entertainers are Libs, so ones choice is limited when sticking with Conservatives. It’s not personal, it’s business. I guess next time we hire a painter or plumber we should make sure he is not liberal or gay? Seeing as I live in a mostly Democrat area, that will be pretty difficult. How petty it is for the Libs to criticize Elton John over this, and how petty it is of you to also act this way. Whatever your political leaning, you are showing how closed minded you are, and that you are just as bad as the Libs screaming on the other side!

+1, and I think you illustrated in that phrase the essence of why this is awesome on other levels besides the nuking of yet another leftwing myth.

A la Friedman and Rand, the market works its magic. A willing performer receiving a healthy sum for his work for somebody who in another life he detests. Rush gets the wedding of a lifetime with no expense spared. Thousands of transactions and exchanges of goods and services. Everyone deriving some kind of benefit from it (financial or otherwise), trading value for value, and dealing with one another as traders. No whips or guns or handcuffs. Just dollars, ability and talent lent to reason.

Old and busted: Identity Politics
The New Hotness: The Free Market

Good Lt on June 15, 2010 at 5:59 PM

These beliefs are mainly borne from not actually knowing any gay people

ramrants on June 15, 2010 at 5:28 PM

What in the world are you talking about? And how do you know this?

I am a evangelical Christian who believes that homosexuality is wrong. I also have a close family member who is gay, and I love her very much and see her often. If I condemn her, then I must condemn everyone I know–we ALL sin, every one.

Try to wrap your head around this, ramrants: it IS possible to love people without condoning their behavior. Honestly and truly. There’s even a Book about it–it’s called The Bible.

Grace_is_sufficient on June 15, 2010 at 5:59 PM

I’m happy for Rush and his bride. I wish them nothing but peace and happiness in their new marriage. I would wish the same for any of you, no matter how many times you have been married. Work hard to grow-develop and make human progress while you can. Rush has had a part in my life for some sixteen years now. That’s a result of choices I have made; much is about choices I have made.

I’m proud of Elton for accepting the offer to perform at the wedding of a known Conservative, and enemy of the left and progressives around the world. Elton made a choice and his choice must have had something to do with a principle he believes in. This shows character in a human. Cower to the threat you know is real, or stand firmly behind a principle you truly believe in. Elton said he wants to build bridges; he must have meant what he said.

Obama said he wants to build bridges, but instead points fingers and blames everybody but himself. Here we have an example: One man displayed virtue, and one man displayed flawed character.

Keemo on June 15, 2010 at 6:02 PM

Grace_is_sufficient on June 15, 2010 at 5:59 PM
Good Lt on June 15, 2010 at 5:59 PM

Bravo to both of you; very well stated!

Keemo on June 15, 2010 at 6:05 PM

I know you didn’t mean it this way (please don’t take offense – I do know what you were saying), but it sounds…I don’t know. Like “Conservative” is on the same level as “sex offender” or something. Again, not directed at you – but I personally am not going to be put on the defensive because I’m not a liberal. I’m not the nut who wants to degrade society and change America into yet another failed socialist state.

It speaks well of Elton John that he won’t let a difference of opinion keep him from associating with another person – but you could sure say the same of Rush. Kudos to them both. It would be a better world if everyone was as gracious and mature.

capitalist piglet on June 15, 2010 at 6:23 PM

Sir Elton likes to build bridges. Sir Paul would rather burn them.

Meredith on June 15, 2010 at 6:23 PM

Grace_is_sufficient on June 15, 2010 at 5:59 PM
and
Jenfidel on June 15, 2010 at 5:42 PM

Grace – I, too, am an evangelical christian and understand the whole, “you can love a sinner without loving the sin”. I said nothing about disowning people. And Jenfidel, not ALL people, and by that I mean conservatives, are accepting of gays.

For example, I attended the 2000 Republican convention in PA and there was a gay congressman that was speaking at the convention. This had many people on the bus ride over to the convention center in a fit because they, “couldn’t believe they were gonna let them queers speak”.

Another example, I also attended the 2004 Republican convention when the Democrats where making an issue of Dick Cheney’s daughter being gay. While waiting around for the caucus meeting to start, there was a table of people behind me discussing how, “VP Cheney should try and distance himself from his daughter because it is a bad reflection on the party and he should put the party needs before his own”. Yes, these people wanted him to DISOWN his own daughter.

Now, I realize this is the minority view within the Republican party. But, like it or not, there are people who do in fact not like gay people simply for the fact they are gay. I would also say these are also people who probably don’t know any gay people. When you get to know someone as a person your prejudices tend to wane. These are also people who are probably influenced by Rush, hence his comments about Elton going a long way.

Hope that clears up any misunderstandings.

ramrants on June 15, 2010 at 6:23 PM

So Heaven can be inherited?

Sure. Heaven is an inheritance.

Heaven MUST be earned. lol

There’s no other way to get there. :-)

David2.0 on June 15, 2010 at 5:47 PM

I’m not sure how you can earn something that is given freely.

Esthier on June 15, 2010 at 6:24 PM

ramrants on June 15, 2010 at 6:23 PM

Sorry, but I don’t believe your stories, especially the first one.

You’re trying to make us look like “homophobic bigots” just like Rush always says.
Someone on this thread linked to a article about Rush’s wedding for the picture of Kathryn and it described Rush as “anti-gay.”
I have NEVER, EVER heard Rush say anything against gays on his show and I’ve been listening for 17+ years.

Jenfidel on June 15, 2010 at 6:42 PM

Grace_is_sufficient on June 15, 2010 at 5:59 PM

Sadly, ramrants is “One of those who did not understand”. As hard as we try, it still gets awfully frustrating doesn’t it? Ah well, you countered his propaganda. Good job.

JimP on June 15, 2010 at 6:43 PM

It sometimes changes your opinion of gays when you find you have one in your extended family, especially if you love that person. That love doesn’t change, or at least it shouldn’t. You may not agree with their lifestyle, and a lot of us conservatives don’t (raised Southern Baptist here), but a lot of us become more tolerant because of it, and that’s not a bad thing.

silvernana on June 15, 2010 at 6:58 PM

Jenfidel on June 15, 2010 at 6:42 PM

I just got done reading on a blog how Rush “hates black and gay people”, and how Hutch “hates gay people”. I happen to know Hutch personally, and it annoys the daylights out of me because NONE of that is true – but they just keep spewing it.

I guess they need to believe it, for some reason.

capitalist piglet on June 15, 2010 at 6:59 PM

Sorry, but I don’t believe your stories, especially the first one.

Jenfidel on June 15, 2010 at 6:42 PM

The GOP isn’t anti-gay, but that doesn’t mean there aren’t some people who vote Republican who are. You can see a ton of examples without even leaving Hot Air. That doesn’t mean Hot Air is anti-gay either. But there are plenty of people who hate the sin and the sinner.

The stories he posted are pretty tame. I wouldn’t be surprised if you could find a few of those on the Democrat side as well.

Esthier on June 15, 2010 at 7:00 PM

I could care less that he is gay. I’m surprised Rush would pay someone that kind of money after the things Elton John said about Bush. I would have paid a conservative musician or act to play at my wedding, if I had Rush’s money. Elton John said some nasty things about Bush, in case anyone forgets.

WillT on June 15, 2010 at 7:02 PM

But there are plenty of people who hate the sin and the sinner.

Esthier on June 15, 2010 at 7:00 PM

No hate here…Just pity…and disgust…

jerrytbg on June 15, 2010 at 7:17 PM

Rush serenading (in effect) Elton John from one hotel balcony below is the best part of this, other than liberal heads exploding and, of course, two peoples’ happiness.

Best Wishes (and Thanks) El Rushbo.

65droptop on June 15, 2010 at 7:23 PM

I’m not sure how you can earn something that is given freely.

Esthier

You are kidding, right?

xblade on June 15, 2010 at 7:25 PM

No hate here…Just pity…and disgust…

jerrytbg on June 15, 2010 at 7:17 PM

Then I’m not talking about you.

Esthier on June 15, 2010 at 7:29 PM

WillT on June 15, 2010 at 7:02 PM

It would’ve been nice had he hired a big “conservative” artist/group, but please name one who has sold anywhere near the songs as EJ, or who is as well known.

Also, it’s my understanding that EJ was his then bride-to-be’s first choice when they got engaged.

As for me, I can’t tell you how disappointed I was when EJ came out of the closet, realizing that he wrote one of my favorite of his tunes, Tiny Dancer, not about a girl, but Rham Emanuel. ;-)

TXUS on June 15, 2010 at 7:30 PM

Esthier on June 15, 2010 at 7:00 PM

Such as using the slang for a gay sex act as a slur against tea partiers? Yeah, a “few” … senators … journalists … presidents …

Ronnie on June 15, 2010 at 7:31 PM

Esthier

Yeah, I’m guessing it’s more than just a few, considering Blacks in general have a problem with homosexuality.

And then there’s Fred Phelps.

xblade on June 15, 2010 at 7:35 PM

You are kidding, right?

xblade on June 15, 2010 at 7:25 PM

The Bible pretty blatantly calls salvation a gift. It would be insanely arrogant to think you could earn your way into someone else’s house.

I personally don’t care how faithful you are to those you love or how much money you give to charity. You’re only getting in my house with an invitation.

Esthier on June 15, 2010 at 7:36 PM

Personally, I was embarrassed for him and his massive ego. Not to mention the destruction of “family values.”

Don L on June 15, 2010 at 4:19 PM

Right, cause with his fourth marriage and all, it was bringing a gay to his wedding that had anything to do with that.

Obviously he was never a moral role model.

Esthier on June 15, 2010 at 4:32 PM

Public Apology: Sorry Esthier. I was half wrong (wink).

Who is Don L, anyway?

Ugly on June 15, 2010 at 7:41 PM

Ronnie on June 15, 2010 at 7:31 PM

Well, it’s not specifically a gay act. The mouth being bagged doesn’t have to be a man’s.

And then there’s Fred Phelps.

xblade on June 15, 2010 at 7:35 PM

Yeah, I know he’s a Democrat. Doesn’t stop most people from considering him a Republican.

Esthier on June 15, 2010 at 7:42 PM

Public Apology: Sorry Esthier. I was half wrong (wink).

Who is Don L, anyway?

Ugly on June 15, 2010 at 7:41 PM

Don’t know who he is, and I don’t understand your winking half apology.

Esthier on June 15, 2010 at 7:45 PM

Rush is happy because his woman received her wish. Pay attention all you men posters.

Kudos to Sir Elton who knows better than most entrainer’s, he is best served to be quiet and sing….. I am impressed.

Wade on June 15, 2010 at 7:46 PM

Congratulation Rush and Ms. Kathryn on your wonderful union. I hope you have a wonderful life together and Rush, you sounded so happy today it was so fantstic to hear.

Elton John is in the top three of my favorite performers and I can still remember purchasing Madman Across The Water and listening to Levon and Tiny Dancer over and over. I applaud you and Ms. Kathryn on your choice for entertainment.

Congratulations again you big luvable fuzz ball! And, glad to have you back behind the golden EIB microphone.

Signed,
A student of The Limbaugh Institue for Advanced Conservative Studies who will never graduate

devolvingtowardsidiocracy on June 15, 2010 at 7:51 PM

Doesn’t stop most people from considering him a Republican.

Esthier on June 15, 2010 at 7:42 PM

Source?

Ronnie on June 15, 2010 at 7:54 PM

Esthier on June 15, 2010 at 7:29 PM

Ok, good…I’m just incredibly disappointed in Rush.

jerrytbg on June 15, 2010 at 8:00 PM

Ok, good…I’m just incredibly disappointed in Rush.

jerrytbg on June 15, 2010 at 8:00 PM

Me too mang…Maha Rushie got another stupid dog.

Inanemergencydial on June 15, 2010 at 8:01 PM

Source?

Ronnie on June 15, 2010 at 7:54 PM

This is news to you? You’ve really never heard people talk about him as though he’s just another Republican h8ter?

Well, for starters, there’s Bill. On the left, there’s Shuster.

How many examples do you need? So many people automatically assume that if you’re anti-gay, you’re a Republican. That the man actually ran as a Democrat and helped Gore’s campaign is lost on people who aren’t all that informed. I’ve had to correct countless people on this issue.

Esthier on June 15, 2010 at 8:03 PM

yup.

jerrytbg on June 15, 2010 at 8:05 PM

Ok, good…I’m just incredibly disappointed in Rush.

jerrytbg on June 15, 2010 at 8:00 PM

Eh. I just don’t look to him for things like that, but then I personally love how this story makes some liberal heads explode.

Esthier on June 15, 2010 at 8:07 PM

Esthier on June 15, 2010 at 8:03 PM

I’ve never heard that except from profoundly stupid people – I mean the kind that start the car with the garage door closed. I think most normal people would assume that if you’re protesting at military funerals you’re probably a Democrat … and he is.

Ronnie on June 15, 2010 at 8:13 PM

but then I personally love how this story makes some liberal heads explode.

Esthier on June 15, 2010 at 8:07 PM

Yep. It’s like mentioning Gov. Palin to leftists. Whatever causes this reaction to be the same to a politician (who is also a beautiful woman) and Elton John (a gay singer) is too deep for my brain. It’s in Allah’s hands. But it is fun to watch leftists go bonkers. I can see November from my house, too!

65droptop on June 15, 2010 at 8:24 PM

Elitist through and through. The very kind of person people on this blog rail about. Oh, but wait, he’s a conservative. Oh, then it’s all good.

True_King on June 15, 2010 at 8:45 PM

Esthier on June 15, 2010 at 8:07 PM

I suppose the event had it’s benefits…’)

jerrytbg on June 15, 2010 at 8:55 PM

Nothing wrong with this. I have liberal friends. You’d have to be a caveman not to have at least a few liberal acquaintances. Unless the person is criminal, why should we not treat them like human beings? If they start demanding immoral things like Gay Marriage etc… that’s where we draw the line.

scotash on June 15, 2010 at 8:59 PM

True_King on June 15, 2010 at 8:45 PM

Some people are elite. Some people are elitist. You seem confused about that.

Ronnie on June 15, 2010 at 9:00 PM

Thanks for the pics of Kathryn, guys. I don’t see Grace Kelly either, but then that’s a pretty high bar to clear; January Jones is probably the only woman I’ve ever seen who I’d say resembles her, and that’s probably due as much to her costuming as anything. Esthier may be right that he meant she looked like her at the wedding. With her hair pulled back in a French twist, she might have. Just goes to show that the guy is crazy head over heels in love to make the comparison. Nevertheless, she’s very pretty. Rush has chosen well. I’m very happy for him and wish them both the best.

NoLeftTurn on June 15, 2010 at 9:06 PM

Some people are elite. Some people are elitist. You seem confused about that.

Ronnie on June 15, 2010 at 9:00 PM

True slug is confused about quite a bit. Don’t get him started on Mystery Babylon.

Inanemergencydial on June 15, 2010 at 9:16 PM

This is exactly what out political discourse is lacking. People on the opposite sides of issues CAN be friends and CAN respect each other. It’s just that we’ve lost the will to do it.

Farmer_Joe on June 15, 2010 at 9:17 PM

When he was talking about this today, he mentioned that McCartney would/could be in Florida and still not be welcome at the wedding. (a bit stronger than he said it but it seemed the gist). Which made me think, would I rather Paul or Elton play at my event… Well I would rather have Dave Gilmore, but of the two mentioned… Elton John.
Paid a good price to see McCartney years ago and it was under whelming to say the least. The only memorable moment was the explosions during Live and Let Die.
Plus Elton has more of a good time party feel to his music.
Still, I rather be on the Dark Side of the Moon, and Comfortably Numb with some Floyd myself.
Good on Rush and Catherine having such and awesome wedding day, let’s hope they have many more days just as happy.

RalphyBoy on June 15, 2010 at 9:18 PM

Congrats Rush!

Re: being gay. Who give a Sh!+!!! Love is love. What did MLK say? Content of a person’s character? I’ve been fortunate enough to know people of all races, genders, religions & sexual orientations that are fabulous people. The flip side is I’ve met and dealt with complete a$$hats from all races, genders, religions & sexual orientations. You’ve got to take people one at a time.

I’ll defer to the big guy upstairs to make final judgments since he is a lot wiser than I am.

VikingGoneWild on June 15, 2010 at 9:32 PM

Sorry, but I don’t believe your stories, especially the first one.

Jenfidel on June 15, 2010 at 6:42 PM

Um, I’m one of the “us” you are talking about. Are you actually reading what I have written? I never said Rush was anti-gay. I know Rush isn’t anti-gay. I have been listening to Rush since 1989…back when he used to do his condom on the microphone shtick or when he would “abort” a call and play the sound of a vacuum….or when he attended the bake sale in CO. But I guess I am lying about that too, huh?

It took some time to find this because I couldn’t remember the guys name but here is the gay Congressman who spoke at the 2000 Republican convention. Not that it matters since I am lying about the whole story. I’m really some left wing lib who just HAPPENED to remember an unknown congressman who spoke at the republican convention 10 years ago.

ramrants on June 15, 2010 at 9:59 PM

ramrants on June 15, 2010 at 9:59 PM

That’s not what I thought you were making up–it’s the part about regular, nice Republicans talking about how they didn’t want to hear “the queer talk.”
I can’t imagine caring, responsible adults talking this way (which virtually all Republicans are) and our politicians aren’t usually “out and proud” anyway.
The GOP policy tends to be DADT and it works out fine for all concerned.

And I didn’t question whether or not you’d listen to Rush.
Simmer down!

Jenfidel on June 15, 2010 at 10:19 PM

Farmer_Joe on June 15, 2010 at 9:17 PM

I neither like nor respect people who want to pick my pocket, or who support infanticide or who put down my President (Bush) who was a good man trying to do the right thing for this country.
Most of all, I don’t like or respect people who hate my country, me and other Americans like me (“typical white people clinging to our guns and our religion”), our history as an exceptional superpower and our fine military.
Sorry, but partisanship will continue at my house and it’s not because I’m not friendly.
You may be right, Farmer Joe: I’ve lost the will to be friendly to Liberals, because they lie, cheat and steal.
If they quit doing that, I might reconsider extending the hand of friendship.
Bring back Democrats like Harry S. Truman!

Jenfidel on June 15, 2010 at 10:28 PM

I just like how happy Rush sounds

Cookies Mom on June 15, 2010 at 4:18 PM

Amen to that! I was at another wedding the same day, and cried my eyes out. I was tearing up just listening to the man talk about meeting his love. I’m glad to hear that they’ve known each other for a long time.

You can almost hear him glow. And it sounds like they are affirming their love quite a bit.

“So now faith, hope and love abide, these three; but the greatest of these is love.”

disa on June 15, 2010 at 10:44 PM

Of course Joy Behar had to ‘weigh in‘ (see what I did there?)…

Congrats to Rush. He sounded very happy today.

Ugly on June 15, 2010 at 4:20 PM

It’s just painful, what you made me do there. The women on the view are so lame, so ignorant, and most of them are mean-spirited. Joy Behar is a horror. It must suck to be her, so filled with nastiness that she’s ready to pop like a big nasty boil.

disa on June 15, 2010 at 10:56 PM

I think he married a first generation rush baby.

Chubbs65 on June 15, 2010 at 4:59 PM

No, from what he said today, she was predisposed to believe the negative PR he gets. Then she got to know him.

So really, he converted someone who quite likely would have been sympathetic to the spiteful bitches on The View.

All the more reason for the lefties to froth.

disa on June 15, 2010 at 11:06 PM

How did such a tiny island compared to the US generate so many legendary rockers? They’re all raving lunatics, but man, those Brits can rock. Genesis turned down a reunion gig at the rock hall induction. If I had Rush money, they’d be playing at my 4th of July backyard barbecue.

I’m glad EJ didn’t play the gig in a wedding dress and veil. Back in the day, he would have.

Buck Turgidson on June 15, 2010 at 11:17 PM

Congrats to Rush on his marriage. And I am quite happy how Rush and Elton get along great. They are both entertainers who excel in their field, and they have mutual respect for each others success. Obviously they would probably have political differences, but so what. Who would be small minded enough to only want to be with people who think the same?

And it is interesting how many social liberals, and social conservatives, got upset by this but for different reasons. Most people would be just happy for Rush, and find it great that he had common ground with Elton.

Rush and Elton do not seem to mind their differences, why would anyone else. And for those who are upset about Rush associating with someone who has a case of Teh Ghey, well how are your sins any better?

firepilot on June 15, 2010 at 11:32 PM

Simmer down!

Jenfidel on June 15, 2010 at 10:19 PM

You’re calling me a liar and when I defend myself, tell me to simmer down. Nice.

And I hate to bust your bubble, but the queer comment was made. That is how I even remembered that there was a gay speaker at the 2000 convention. O remembered that and the black preacher from Texas (Kirbyjohn something) that felt like I was attending a church revival and Brooks and Dunn playing. That’s all I remember from 10 years ago.

While I agree most republicans are caring people, the ones that were on my bus that day were not. Neither were the ones sitting behind me at a caucus talking about how Cheney needed to disown his own daughter.

And at this point, I don’t care if you don’t believe me. Believe whatever you want.

ramrants on June 15, 2010 at 11:50 PM

Don L on June 15, 2010 at 4:19 PM

He is the Prince of tongue in cheek.

hawkdriver on June 16, 2010 at 12:14 AM

Rush is a spokesman for conservatives, not a spokesman for the Christian faith. I think people sometimes forget that, because he is of course both appreciative of Christianity and sympathetic to it.

So I don’t really think he’s being hypocritical or somehow “failing” by having Elton John sing at his wedding.

It’s interesting that homosexuality meets divorce and remarriage in this story. Jesus doesn’t appear to have ever personally addressed homosexuality, though it would be the height of delusion to read that as a stamp of approval. But He did address divorce, saying that what God has joined together in marriage should not be “put asunder” or torn apart by men.

(Yes, this is stricter than the supposedly “harsh” and “unbending” Old Testament. Read the Gospels, and you’ll see that Jesus did not exactly wink at sin, but actually demanded more righteousness than the law did. Example: the law said, “Thou shalt do no murder.” Jesus said, “If you hate your brother, you’ve committed murder in your heart.”)

So I’d have to give this one to Esthier. If you’re going to accept Rush’s fourth marriage, you really shouldn’t be too offended by the gay performer at the wedding.

There Goes The Neighborhood on June 16, 2010 at 1:34 AM

ChickaBOOMer| Rush In Love: “Grace Kelly Looks Like Kathryn.”

StewartIII on June 16, 2010 at 5:59 AM

Elton John > Billy Joel.

Good Lt on June 15, 2010 at 5:46 PM

Ummmm, no. If you get the chance to see them on their “Face to Face” tour, you’ll see that they both put on fantastic shows. They are both incredible musicians in addition to being great songwriters and performers. Also, on these tours, they sing each others songs during the first and last parts of the concert.

Not sure where the Billy Joel comment even came from. I don’t remember any anti-conservative comments from him, hopefully this was just your opinion about them as artists. Oh, and I respectfully disagree with your opinion, but I fully support your right to express it.

PburgJason on June 16, 2010 at 2:11 PM

ramrants on June 15, 2010 at 11:50 PM

Try not to be too offended. This is just how she is.

Esthier on June 16, 2010 at 4:31 PM