Etheridge’s opponent: If my kid’s teacher had behaved that way, he’d be suspended

posted at 6:08 pm on June 15, 2010 by Allahpundit

Via Jim Geraghty, whose coverage of this story today is sufficiently depressing that you’ll be reaching for the bottle to cope. Want to know how much ink WaPo devoted to the George Allen “macaca” incident compared to the physical assault committed by Bob Etheridge? Drink. Curious to see how local Democrats are reacting to this possibly criminal offense perpetrated on two kids with flipcams? Drink. Anxious to hear how even normally level-headed liberals like Mika Brzezinski are taking the news? Drink. (That last one’s not from Geraghty, but since we’re already drinking, let’s have another.)

So depressing is the response, in fact, that we’re forced to turn to an unlikely source for a reasonable lefty take on the incident. My friends, it’s come to this.

Comments

It ain’t over yet.

John the Libertarian on June 15, 2010 at 6:11 PM

Bob Etheridge should be arrested on assault charges. Breaking the law is breaking the law. They are not above the law.

I thought we fought a revolution over that one.

Cinematicfilm on June 15, 2010 at 6:12 PM

I sure hope not.

Rosmerta on June 15, 2010 at 6:14 PM

“…but since we’re already drinking, let’s have another.”

Warm ups for the speech tonight…

… I’m in!

Seven Percent Solution on June 15, 2010 at 6:14 PM

If a Navy Seal did that to a terrorist he would be sent to the brig.

RobCon on June 15, 2010 at 6:14 PM

Didn’t I read somewhere that the majority of people are mad at the media?

Their abuse of editorial power… why it makes me want to ignore the media’s products and services.

Oh wait… I do that already.

beatcanvas on June 15, 2010 at 6:16 PM

One mis-step, one wrong word, one stumble, one wayward glance, of a conservative and it makes major news for weeks…have a dem strong arm, on video, assault two kids, and nothing but praise for the attacker.
Truly we have reached a new low in reporting…I know it will get worse, but this is a low level mark.

right2bright on June 15, 2010 at 6:17 PM

If a Navy Seal did that to a terrorist he would be sent to the brig.

RobCon on June 15, 2010 at 6:14 PM

Good analogy, and accurate…

right2bright on June 15, 2010 at 6:18 PM

A Navy Seal gives a bloody lip to a murdering, scumbag terrorist and for that he gets hauled before a military court and is subject to all sorts of possible life-changing punishments.

An elected congressman physically assaults a peaceful American citizen and he gets to walk away? No big deal?

This is bad, very very bad.

Bishop on June 15, 2010 at 6:18 PM

I keep hearing about “sticking a camera in his face” but to my eyes, Etheridge seems to have walked right up to it. Am I seeing things, or just reading too many lefties describe it?

Pablo on June 15, 2010 at 6:18 PM

The vid can still be used creatively in tv ads by some third party org not connected with the Ellmers campaign. Swiftboat memories come to mind.

trapeze on June 15, 2010 at 6:19 PM

Oh, and as for Renee Ellmers…

… I’d ‘hit’ it!

Seven Percent Solution on June 15, 2010 at 6:20 PM

itsnotaboutme on June 15, 2010 at 6:23 PM

When Glenn Greenwald is the voice of reason the Apocalypse cannot be far away.

clearbluesky on June 15, 2010 at 6:25 PM

I sure hope not.

Rosmerta on June 15, 2010 at 6:14 PM

What? A teacher who manhandles and headlocks a kid for asking a benign question ought to be suspended. And Etheridge should resign. If he were a Republican, he would have been forced to already (and rightfully so).

capitalist piglet on June 15, 2010 at 6:26 PM

Bishop on June 15, 2010 at 6:18 PM

+100

capitalist piglet on June 15, 2010 at 6:27 PM

Warm ups for the speech tonight…

… I’m in!

Seven Percent Solution on June 15, 2010 at 6:14 PM

Have we decided on “The Words of Teh One” yet?

Key West Reader on June 15, 2010 at 6:27 PM

Please, please kids – get lawyered-up real good, and give Obama some lessons on how to do some serious ass-kicking, okay?

drunyan8315 on June 15, 2010 at 6:27 PM

Palin/Greenwald 2012!

rob verdi on June 15, 2010 at 6:27 PM

My friends, it’s come to this.

whoa!

upinak on June 15, 2010 at 6:29 PM

Representative Etheridge, your perp-walk awaits! Embrace it!

ya2daup on June 15, 2010 at 6:29 PM

So, if Etheridge gets a pass, that means that any employee can grab their boss by the neck, and demand… DEMAND to know “Who Are you”? “Who’ere U”? And that same employee can then knock their boss in the face and not get fired?

Etheridge = Employee
Student = Employer

Time for some change, baby. And not the kind that comes with styrofoam columns and golden greased abs rising from the crashing waves.

Key West Reader on June 15, 2010 at 6:30 PM

She is very green, but this will help. She’s so green, in fact, that the NC state GOP didn’t spell her name correctly on a press release yesterday. I understand why she’s playing nicely, but c’mon, these are democrats (and NC democrats at that…!!) and they need to be treated like the scum they are.

SouthernGent on June 15, 2010 at 6:31 PM

Another Republican women on her way towards the SarahCuda
Army!!!

canopfor on June 15, 2010 at 6:31 PM

Props for the Gleens.

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on June 15, 2010 at 6:33 PM

They came first for the students with flip cams, and I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a student with a flip cam….

we’re.almost.there.

Firefly_76 on June 15, 2010 at 6:33 PM

Hit Me With Your Best Shot by Pat Benatar

canopfor on June 15, 2010 at 6:34 PM

Have we decided on “The Words of Teh One” yet?

Key West Reader on June 15, 2010 at 6:27 PM

Sure hope you guys come up with some good ones. No way can I stomach watching this clown. I will read comments here. Much more entertaining, and certainly less stressful!

lukespapa on June 15, 2010 at 6:34 PM

My friends, it’s come to this.

Glenn Greenwald more reasonable than WaPo? Dude. Watch the moon tonight, see if it turns to blood.

Weight of Glory on June 15, 2010 at 6:34 PM

UPDATE II:

—————————————

How about demanding that this clown resigns as a starter!!

canopfor on June 15, 2010 at 6:38 PM

lukespapa on June 15, 2010 at 6:34 PM

Me too
I got e-mail that Sarah Palin will be on BillO’s zone to comment on TOTUS.
I’ll hang here for that too, since I don’t watch BillO.

macncheez on June 15, 2010 at 6:38 PM

Weight of Glory on June 15, 2010 at 6:34 PM

Put the blood of an innocent lamb on the doorpost tonite so the angel of death will passover. Certainly the end times are nigh…

lukespapa on June 15, 2010 at 6:39 PM

Salon’s delivered some honest critiques of crooked Democrats, including labeling Obama the “medium big” potus.

President Obama will give a speech today from the Oval Office on the ongoing disaster in the Gulf of Mexico. According to Atlantic Monthly reporter Marc Ambinder, the president believes the crisis is at an “inflection point.” Either he’ll convince the public now that he’s got some plan going forward, at least to recoup some money from BP and prevent another spill, or he never will. As Ambinder puts it, Obama’s speech tonight will be “medium big” in its ambition.

Have you ever heard a better description of the Obama presidency than “medium big”?

Gabriel Winant

maverick muse on June 15, 2010 at 6:40 PM

… Sarah Palin will be on BillO’s zone …

macncheez on June 15, 2010 at 6:38 PM

Not to sound too stoopid, but WTH is BillO’s zone?

lukespapa on June 15, 2010 at 6:42 PM

lukespapa on June 15, 2010 at 6:39 PM

No doubt.

Weight of Glory on June 15, 2010 at 6:43 PM

“…but since we’re already drinking, let’s have another.”
Warm ups for the speech tonight…

… I’m in!

————————————————————

Yeah me too, as soon as the panel is done on Fox I’m stocking up for the Obamanable Oval address tonight. Hey, anyone set the rules yet, unlike Bambi I like to know what I’m doing before jumping in, c’mon Allah we need some ground rules for tonights drinking game with the attendant Open Thread.

Archimedes on June 15, 2010 at 6:44 PM

canopfor,

Very interesting that Etheridge made the immediate assumption that the young man with a simple question was right-wing. As if a Democratic young man would never ask the question, whether Etheridge fully supports Obama’s agenda. More so, as if a Democratic young man would be so well mannered and cordial in public.

maverick muse on June 15, 2010 at 6:44 PM

golden greased abs rising from the crashing waves.
Key West Reader on June 15, 2010 at 6:30 PM

Airbrushed

maverick muse on June 15, 2010 at 6:45 PM

He is next to them and past them! He decided to stop.

MamaAJ on June 15, 2010 at 6:46 PM

Is Renee Ellmers Another HOT Republican woman running for office? We’re going to need a calendar next year.

dirtseller on June 15, 2010 at 6:47 PM

I saw her on Morning Joe this morning. She was unbelievable. Scarborough, tiresome as he is, tried to make several runs at her about this, and he couldn’t convince her that the students weren’t at fault. Talk about living in a parallel universe.

BuckeyeSam on June 15, 2010 at 6:47 PM

Not to sound too stoopid, but WTH is BillO’s zone?

lukespapa on June 15, 2010 at 6:42 PM

Bill O’Rielly

upinak on June 15, 2010 at 6:48 PM

canopfor on June 15, 2010 at 6:31 PM

How is Palin’s NC support?

It would be great for Palin et al. popular Republicans to connect with Ellmers with some private coaching re: handling the media so as to enable Ellmers to maintain her platform without being derailed.

maverick muse on June 15, 2010 at 6:49 PM

OK, words for the Sermonizing Speechifying Sensational Production complete with TOTUS:

Disaster
Unprecedented
Day One
I, Me, My
Understand
Let Me Be Clear
BP is Responsible
Previous Administrations ignored
My Administration has
Thad Allen
Nobel Prize winning Chu
Feel your anguish and pain
Visited the gulf 4 times
Accountability
Transparency
We will rise
President
In Charge
Appointed
Hearings
BP – ( you can take a waiver or you’ll be drunk in 2 mins)
Sasha and Malia
As I looked out upon the gulf
As I shook the hands
Fishermen
Restaurant Workers
Oil Rig workers
Coastline
Eco-system
Marine and fowl
New energy agenda
Must make unprecedented changes…
Big oil
Special Interests
Lobbyists
With you in your pain
Many have said
Many point fingers now
My leadership
My administration
……

Oye, if I go on, we’ll all be drunk in 12 minutes.

Key West Reader on June 15, 2010 at 6:49 PM

SouthernGent on June 15, 2010 at 6:31 PM

As a voter of NC-02 Bob ‘the bully” etheridge is much beloved here in NC which for the live of me i do not understand. I guess think Muthra. but by renee attacking him on a “mother’s” concerns it will strike home more to those votes. Esp the senior citizens. remember also this is the first look that many Nc-02 voters will have of Renee. If she came out all fire and brimstone and negative her message would not get through.

So it’s a good start. I would have liked more fire and brimstone but I have been aware of Renee for months now voted for her for the primary. she is a fighter and will use this video over and over in her ads. But she needs money for that. Realclear politics said today before this video Etheridge had over $1million cash on hand and she had $5,000. this is one of those videos the mor eyou see it the worse it gets. She is letting the voters decide and she will hammer him on Obamacare and cap and tax and play up his elitest attitude on this video while I think and I don’t agree with she will downplay his criminal act.

but then again in NC, elders hitting kids is not that out of the ordinary. In fact many parents will tell thier kids to go get the switch so they can hit them with it. If etheridge is able to protray these kids as punks the “spoil the child of you do not use the rod” types will give him a pass. Reness is playing it well so far. She can always say “at first I gave him the benefit of the doubt but his actions and votes since this has raised nothing but doubts. Who is Etheridge really?”

unseen on June 15, 2010 at 6:49 PM

Not to sound too stoopid, but WTH is BillO’s zone?

lukespapa on June 15, 2010 at 6:42 PM

Should have said ” No Spin Zone”
My friend, who is a raving SF lefty, loves to watch him and thats the name of his show, according to those bunch of loons .
My friend e-mailed to ask me if I’ll watch BillO because Sarah Palin is on the show, even though I don’t watch BillO anymore

macncheez on June 15, 2010 at 6:51 PM

How is Palin’s NC support?
maverick muse on June 15, 2010 at 6:49 PM

her Ft. bragg visit on her book tour, her NRA speech in charolette, her sould out speech with Mrs. bush and her 2008 campaign events in the area all say its is very high.

If Palin endorses here it could be another Obey/duffy race with Bob “the bully” etheridge deciding to keep his money and go home.

unseen on June 15, 2010 at 6:53 PM

perceived to be right-wing,
canopfor,
=================

maverick muse on June 15, 2010 at 6:44 PM

maverick muse: Finding one well-mannered young Liberal who
isn’t an agitator would certainly be an an
omoly!

And,if this guy was originaly perceived as
right-wing,where the h*ll was HomeLand Secu
rity when you need them!!:)

canopfor on June 15, 2010 at 6:54 PM

Has anyone noticed that the only people complaining about flip cams and YouTube are liberals? That’s because this new technology and new mediums of communication not only make it easy to catch liberals with their guard down, off script, saying what they really think, but with the help of the Conservative New Media, they also make it easy to circumvent the MSM and get a story out to the public.

The day that Helen Thomas retired, I was watching an interview with some lefty college professor on the local news. He was clearly pissed and was lamenting “the age we live in”, and how because of all this new technology, public figures “have to be ‘on’ all the time”. He even went so far as to imply that if Helen Thomas sat down to her computer and wrote an article, she could articulate exactly why the Jews should get the hell out of Palestine and go back to Germany and Poland, in a way that would make people say “hmmm, she makes some good points”, as opposed to her shooting from the hip. Unbelievable.

ardenenoch on June 15, 2010 at 6:55 PM

Oye, if I go on, we’ll all be drunk in 12 minutes.

Key West Reader on June 15, 2010 at 6:49 PM

Key West Reader:

On the speech tonight,the WELL HEAD CAN NOT be stopped!!

The pessure is between 20,000 to 100,000 PSI!

The are cracks around the well,and rumoured to be a twenty Mile bubble under the well head!!

This is Biblical!!!:)

canopfor on June 15, 2010 at 6:59 PM

canopfor on June 15, 2010 at 6:31 PM

How is Palin’s NC support?

maverick muse on June 15, 2010 at 6:49 PM

maverick muse: I’m not sure,I’ve been on a Deepwater Horizon
intel mission of late!!:)

I agree on the media approach class’s,Sarah
is now very much the wiser,on dealing with
and talking to the Marxist Socialist Media!
-:)

canopfor on June 15, 2010 at 7:03 PM

Possibly criminal? My what a wimpish statement. What are you afraid of AP? Grabbing someone and holding them against their will is clearly an assault.

Basilsbest on June 15, 2010 at 7:11 PM

Shoot. She couldn’t have put in her ad something about the sense of entitlement by these incumbent Congress critters… or better yet the violence inherent in the system. Come and see the violence inherent in the system! I’m being repressed!

tommylotto on June 15, 2010 at 7:23 PM

That Glenn Greenwald Salon article that AP linked to at the end is solid:

The only reason I think this is worth noting is this: imagine what would have happened to those students if this situation had been reversed, and it was they who had physically assaulted Rep. Etheridge, rather than the other way around. How quickly would they have been arrested and prosecuted? The application of our laws isn’t supposed to depend upon who is perpetrating the crime and who the victim is.

Given that this was a Democratic Congressman assaulting citizens who are perceived to be right-wing, I obviously knew that some people would rush to justify what he did; that’s part of the reason I posted this. But even I’m surprised by the extent of the eagerness to defend a clearly illegal and indefensible assault based on the political ideologies of those involved (just check the comment section for how extreme that mentality is, and I’ve seen it elsewhere). Some are honest enough to admit that because the victims here were right-wing advocates, they should be presumed to have provoked this and got what they deserved (who knew that the law of assault depends upon the political affiliation of aggressor and victim?), while others — amazingly — continue to fantasize about all sorts of events that they claim probably happened off camera to mitigate or justify the Congressman’s actions, even though: (a) I linked to the unedited video above which shows that no such thing happened and (b) Rep. Etheridge has now issued a statement and not even he claims there were any such mitigating or justifying events that were concealed as a result of dishonest video editing. But still, the claim persists.

Some people obviously cannot accept that a Good Democrat could possibly do something bad to a conservative, and they’ll continue to deny reality — or just invent realities that don’t exist — to justify that. This is not a hard case. As Pam Spaulding said: “Sad that personal responsibility for being a violent hothead now comes with mitigation talking points. Dems need to quit it.” Tribalism is a natural part of the human perspective, but it’s amazing when even incidents as relatively trivial and clear-cut as this one are processed through its distorting lens. Do you think any Democrats defending Etheridge — or most conservatives criticizing him — would be doing so if he were a right-wing GOP Congressman from North Carolina who assaulted nice liberal students questioning him on a public sidewalk about his conservative views?

MikeknaJ on June 15, 2010 at 7:34 PM

Damn straight my dear….damn straight.

joe btfsplk on June 15, 2010 at 7:36 PM

RobCon on June 15, 2010 at 6:14 PM

Not just to the brig they would have been Court Martialed.

chemman on June 15, 2010 at 7:44 PM

Oye, if I go on, we’ll all be drunk in 12 minutes.

Key West Reader on June 15, 2010 at 6:49 PM

That half an (hic) hour ago

Ugly on June 15, 2010 at 7:44 PM

On the speech tonight,the WELL HEAD CAN NOT be stopped!!

The pessure is between 20,000 to 100,000 PSI!

This is Biblical!!!:)

canopfor on June 15, 2010 at 6:59 PM

You’re correct. The failure is in the valves several thousand feet down, and the cement that BP used was discouraged by Halliburton but used anyway. Let’s expect the worst and hope for the best.

I wish we had a different TOTUS leading us, though. Maybe his words will scroll backward tonight and he’ll just get up, tear off his microphone and walk out.

That would be a gift in the midst of this disaster.

Key West Reader on June 15, 2010 at 7:47 PM

Key West Reader on June 15, 2010 at 6:49 PM

Using your list, I would advise an intravenous hookup to the whisky and an advisory EMS call at the very beginning of the speech.

TXUS on June 15, 2010 at 7:48 PM

If a Navy Seal did that to a terrorist he would be sent to the brig.

RobCon on June 15, 2010 at 6:14 PM

If an Arizona cop did that to a Hispanic looking drug dealer he’d caught in the midst of a “transaction” there would be rioting in the streets.

Lily on June 15, 2010 at 7:55 PM

“Bob Etheridge is gonna manhandle Renee Ellmers & repeatedly demand, “Who are you?””

But apparently only after lifting her skirt to make sure she is a woman. These people are despicable. How can any decent American identify with the Democrats?

crosspatch on June 15, 2010 at 8:17 PM

This man belongs in prison, along with Obama. All dems are immoral. i am old. I know of no exception.

proconstitution on June 15, 2010 at 8:36 PM

Someone needs to grill Etheridge on camera regarding exactly what basis he believes he has for the “right” to know the name of a private citizen he meets on the street.

Isn’t it the left who’s so worried about having to “show their papers?”

TexasDan on June 15, 2010 at 8:55 PM

More passion, Renee! Boot on throat, you’ll not have a better opportunity to take down this socialist scum.

james23 on June 15, 2010 at 9:36 PM

Who are you?

A Democrat politician asks the very question of someone who is not being lawfully detained that the Democrat POTUS insists is not permissible for a law enforcement officer to ask of someone lawfully detained in Arizona. And the irony escapes the MSM.

Who are we is now the question.

Basilsbest on June 15, 2010 at 10:02 PM

I just keep imagining if it had been Sarah Palin that did this. Can you imagine the response?

Noelie on June 15, 2010 at 10:43 PM

Had this asshat pulled the same thing on an adult (male or female) and not a kid, he’d be picking his teeth up with tweezers and not a court in the land would side with Etheridge. Hey kid, sue his butt off and press charges. You have an open and shut case

Niteowl45 on June 16, 2010 at 12:22 AM

So,if Etheridge(I wonder if he is related to Melissa)was right,I guess when Eva Braun ask Sarah about her reading habits it would have been OK if Sarah beat the Sh*t out of her.OK or not ,Sarah should have just on G.P.

DDT on June 16, 2010 at 5:10 AM

I thought we fought a revolution over that one.

Cinematicfilm

I thought that this was worth reposting.

JakeRightThought on June 16, 2010 at 11:08 AM

I wonder if Miki B. feels that Michael Moore committed a “wrong” while filming his stuff. Or the 60 Minutes crowd?

mugged on June 16, 2010 at 1:34 PM

james23 on June 15, 2010

I don’t disagree with your point, but she probably wanted to come across as the mature, level-headed adult choice for the voters of that district. Remember, that isn’t Alabama. Gun-toting double-dog-dares might not play as well in her state.

Extrafishy on June 16, 2010 at 2:44 PM