ESPN: North Korea’s World Cup fans are paid Chinese actors

posted at 7:20 pm on June 15, 2010 by Allahpundit

Via Sports Grid, a communist problem once again finds a capitalist solution. I’m actually surprised that the NorKs don’t have “professional fans” at home who are designated to travel with the team and cheer them on. Yeah, granted, defection is a risk, but that’s a risk with the squad itself and they manage it somehow. “If you run away, we’ll kill your family” should work as well on a fan as on a player, no?

Judging from the anti-soccer venom flowing on yesterday’s thread, cold hard cash seems to be the only way you’d get American conservatives to turn out for a game too. Two clips here, the first of the ESPN commentary showcasing some typically exciting play from today’s Brazil-NK match — it was a barnburner — and the other of these poor bastards “training” for the contest. Exit quotation from a North Korean soccer honcho: “North Korea will win the World Cup.”

Comments

They look like ACORN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

canopfor on June 15, 2010 at 7:22 PM

Can’t risk defectors when you’re selling yourself as a communist utopia…

phreshone on June 15, 2010 at 7:24 PM

Who knew so many North Koreans were gay…?

Seven Percent Solution on June 15, 2010 at 7:25 PM

can’t see the video.. won’t load.

upinak on June 15, 2010 at 7:26 PM

So,that would also mean,that Socialists are acting as
Liberals!!!!

canopfor on June 15, 2010 at 7:26 PM

I’m surprised the NK team hasn’t suffered from sensory overload. Seriously.

YYZ on June 15, 2010 at 7:27 PM

Of course they will, whether they do or not.

Patrick Ishmael on June 15, 2010 at 7:28 PM

Don’t need threats if they use the Communist Party’s members and their families.

amerpundit on June 15, 2010 at 7:29 PM

can’t see the video.. won’t load.

upinak on June 15, 2010 at 7:26 PM

upinak: Does this help!?:)
================================================

North Korea Hires Chinese Actors to Support World Cup Squad

canopfor on June 15, 2010 at 7:30 PM

I’m sure the North Koreans are being told that North Korea won 15-0. It was only 1-0 at halftime, when Kim Jong-il himself showed up and decided to give the team a boost. He scored 13 of the 14 goals in the second half to give North Korea a clear and commanding victory. 20,000 fans rejoiced and celebrated in their latest success.

stldave on June 15, 2010 at 7:30 PM

Here’s what I find interesting: The North Korean athletes, who couldn’t afford their own gym, seemed to actually enjoy being around the other non-N-Koreans.

I wonder if the team doesn’t really buy into Kim’s propaganda.

amerpundit on June 15, 2010 at 7:31 PM

Real North Koreans would be spending all their time digging through the dumpsters for the best meal they’ve ever had.

RBMN on June 15, 2010 at 7:31 PM

Doesn’t this make North Korea racist for thinking all Asians look alike?

Esthier on June 15, 2010 at 7:32 PM

JUCHE!

victor82 on June 15, 2010 at 7:32 PM

News in Reality: North Korea beaten in soccer match.

New in North Korea: “North Korea beats Brazil in soccer match, praises Kim Jong Il for their stamina, declares Brazil a sister nation to North Korea.”

portlandon on June 15, 2010 at 7:34 PM

Probably rented from the same firm that provides Obama with crowds who pretend to give a damn about what he says.

[though the fake North Koreans at least stayed AWAKE!]

Justrand on June 15, 2010 at 7:35 PM

The Brazilians should hang their heads in shame at giving up a goal to these clowns.

MJBrutus on June 15, 2010 at 7:36 PM

Doesn’t this make North Korea racist for thinking all Asians look alike?

Esthier on June 15, 2010 at 7:32 PM

North Koreans are notoriously racist.

amerpundit on June 15, 2010 at 7:36 PM

The real Koreans looked great, BTW, in their opening win against Greece.

MJBrutus on June 15, 2010 at 7:38 PM

The NK team actually looked surprisingly solid. It’s the group phase, so everybody is just putting 10 men behind the ball and hoping for a draw against the good teams like Brazil,but they looked dangerous.

If you’ve thought these games were low scoring and boring, you were right… for whatever reason, scoring is way way down this World Cup.

DaveS on June 15, 2010 at 7:39 PM

I wonder if the team doesn’t really buy into Kim’s propaganda.

amerpundit on June 15, 2010 at 7:31 PM

No, and this is why they have to hire foreign fans. The problem is not travel expenses or defection, it is keeping secret the fact that NoKo is in miserable shape in comparison to the rest of the world. Kim’s regime depends in the perception that he, and he alone, is keeping NoKo from even worse starvation that the rest of the world supposedly suffers from.

pedestrian on June 15, 2010 at 7:39 PM

They probably don`t want the rest of the world to see how tiny and malnourished the N. Koreans truly are.

ThePrez on June 15, 2010 at 7:40 PM

OT: BP was original Cap and Trade founding tool

upinak on June 15, 2010 at 7:27 PM

upinak:: How about this letter!!:)
=====================================

The GIS Institute

Deepwater Horizon GIS data concerns
Friends -

On June 9 of this year,

I sent a letter stating my concerns about access to Deepwater Horizon GIS data to government officials, incident command personnel, and concerned individuals. The letter describes in detail the GIS work completed at ICP Houma in the month of May,

and it suggests that all responders were not being provided direct access to GIS data in a National Incident Management (NIMS) compliant manner. See http://www.thegisinstitute.org for a summary of the GIS activity.
================================

canopfor on June 15, 2010 at 7:41 PM

This match I was actually interested in. According to the announcers of the game, a N. Korean player who played in Japan showed his teammates a mobile phone and they were all amazed.

Grafted on June 15, 2010 at 7:42 PM

HotAir isn’t pulling for NK to upset the world? Shocked.

Them holding brazil to 0-0 at half was some epic trolling. Soccer sucks, we need some good storylines here.

triple on June 15, 2010 at 7:43 PM

15 minutes till the speech Allah. can we get a thread up soon?

upinak on June 15, 2010 at 7:45 PM

15 minutes till the speech Allah. can we get a thread up soon?

upinak on June 15, 2010 at 7:45 PM

So let it be written, so let it be done!

ThePrez on June 15, 2010 at 7:46 PM

OT: BP was original Cap and Trade founding tool

upinak on June 15, 2010 at 7:27 PM

BP got exploration contracts in Libya
by having British government release the libyan terrorist from jail ( the one who was supposed to be dead by now)

Karma ??

macncheez on June 15, 2010 at 7:46 PM

DaveS on June 15, 2010 at 7:39 PM

Low scoring does not mean boring, at least not to soccer fans. You could cut the tension with a knife before the Dutch put their first in the net, for example. The back and forth with the Danes was both entertaining and well-played.

MJBrutus on June 15, 2010 at 7:49 PM

Not only that, but, according to the NorK daily papers, Kim Jong Il himself will kick the winning goal.

JadeNYU on June 15, 2010 at 7:50 PM

Can’t risk defectors when you’re selling yourself as a communist utopia…

phreshone on June 15, 2010 at 7:24 PM

Hmmm, I wonder how long till that’s us, hiring Canucks as fans for worry that we’ll bolt from Bambi’s Eutopia?

Archimedes on June 15, 2010 at 7:51 PM

Wow was that exciting. That just wasn’t any group of guys running up and down the field, that was a group of world class guys running up and down the field. I could tell. More happens during the seventh inning stretch in any baseball game than happens in 95 percent of all World Cup matches.

Fred 2 on June 15, 2010 at 7:51 PM

Fred 2 on June 15, 2010 at 7:51 PM

Ah yes. More moans from the attention deficit precinct. Gee, when I have read this bitch before. Oh wait, I’ll get it.

Yeah that’s right, only 500 times in yesterday’s thread. Oh poor dude, must have been tied to a chair with his eyelids clamped open and forced to watch.

MJBrutus on June 15, 2010 at 7:55 PM

Fred 2 on June 15, 2010 at 7:51 PM

So when I have heard that moan before? Wait, give me a second, I’ll think of it. Oh that’s right, only about 500 times during the other WC thread from the attention deficit community.

Don’t tell me, let me guess. They pulled a clockwork orange on you by strapping you to a chair, clamping your eyelids open and forcing you to watch.

MJBrutus on June 15, 2010 at 7:58 PM

MJBrutus on June 15, 2010 at 7:49 PM

You’re preaching to the choir. :-) I just read the thread last night, and most of these people think 0-0 draws are boring.

DaveS on June 15, 2010 at 8:31 PM

I have this suspicion that the same people who hate soccer cuz it’s so boring think watching 30 cars drive in a circle for 4 hours is the greatest entertainment event in the world.

angryed on June 15, 2010 at 8:34 PM

Pretty soon Obama will have to start being actors to boost his programs. Oh he already has Hollywood!!!!

MaiDee on June 15, 2010 at 8:46 PM

DaveS on June 15, 2010 at 8:31 PM

Its like watching ping-pong or badminton. I watch it (only for the US Team), but lets be serious, it ain’t exactly College Football or Basketball.

You can only score one point at a time. What the hell. So, if you take a bad team against a good team and the score might be 1-2 or 0-2? That is like giving out awards for playing, no wonder liberals love it, no one really wins.

In fact, its so boring I gotta wonder. If you take away the ball and scoring, soccer fans would still watch it to see guys dancing across the field.

No offense to soccer players, they are very good at running, like the French. I am sure they are awesome athletes in their own right (and I admit they are better athletes than I). But at least I didn’t settle with dancing on a green field and playing footsie with other men.

Holger on June 15, 2010 at 8:53 PM

NORTH KOREA IS BEST KOREA!

YOU DIE NOW PIG DOG AMERICANS!

Good Lt on June 15, 2010 at 8:59 PM

MJbrutus, all I hear from you is waaaahhhhhhh! They’re calling soccer boring and I don’t want to admit it is. Waaaahhhhhhh! Look, it’s incredibly dull and is like that almost the entire game. Stop pretending it isn’t. You like it? Great. Quit whining that others don’t already.

Paid actors? paid with their life, perhaps.
“You go to the game and cheer your heart out or we’ll shoot you, ok?”
“Ok. What sport?”
“Soccer.”
“Oh hell, just shoot me!”

Hard Right on June 15, 2010 at 9:02 PM

Poor guys. I watched the game because it was on a projector at work, and nobody else at my work even knew what PRK stood for.

I actually started cheering for the Koreans- if only so they don’t get the crap beaten out of them when they go back home.

Sackett on June 15, 2010 at 9:08 PM

LOL AP I see what you did there.

You’ve hit a hot button here, so the NORK issue is just an excuse to get us, once again, our daily debate on soccer. Haters gon’ hate etc. (and keep on letting everyone know how much they care about hating something they don’t care about) but

Judging from the anti-soccer venom flowing on yesterday’s thread

Not from all of us!

Bottom line to that entire discussion: It’s all in perspective. For me, baseball is unbelievably boring. Perhaps I don’t appreciate it. Well, baseball fans (NASCAR fans, NFL fans, NBA fans, fill in the blank) — consider all those intricacies you enjoy about baseball, and realize those are the things soccer fans enjoy about soccer. And that for other people, they find those sports as boring as you find soccer. The scoreline doesn’t matter (though aggression and quality does, and admittedly so far this WC has been lacking in that regard).

And if you have a rooting interest, not ONE SECOND of a soccer match is boring, regardless of what is happening. Every corner, every foul, every chance — is a moment that could change everything.

I am a fan of many sports, born and bred American and only recent soccer fan, and NOTHING comes even close to the joy and raw energy that explodes when your team scores a goal/wins a match/etc. And overall, no American sport (I’d say college football/basketball comes closest) to the passion, pride, pageantry, and excitement you find in soccer.

jjraines on June 15, 2010 at 9:18 PM

jjraines on June 15, 2010 at 9:18 PM

Yeah, not to mention the whining, diving and crying. I mean, if real men played soccer it would be more like hockey, where guys hit the sin bin without getting all put out. In soccer, these guys consider breaking a fingernail a hanging offense.

Clearly you have never watched hockey, or understood baseball. Born American maybe, but certainly not bred.

tcn on June 15, 2010 at 9:40 PM

Like with NASCAR, I think the real allure of soccer is that you can get fall down drunk, still understand what is going on, pass out, wake up, and have missed nothing.
It seems the excitement threshold for soccer fans is rather low.

Like I said guys on ice skates hitting a small rubber puck with a stick score more goals than soccer players. It should be exactly the opposite.

Hard Right on June 15, 2010 at 10:46 PM

Unlike Hollywood, China PAYS their actors!!

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha

bannedbyhuffpo on June 15, 2010 at 11:08 PM

tcn on June 15, 2010 at 9:40 PM

Hah, no need to insult. I agree with you on the whining, diving, and crying. It’s disgraceful and many (though not enough) say as much. The Portugal-Ivory Coast game today was an embarrassment to the game, and I definitely don’t think any fence-sitting American SHOULD embrace soccer if that’s the only impression they have.

jjraines on June 16, 2010 at 12:00 AM

I trump your “hmmm” with a double hmmm

Who would have thought anyone would be interested in such things- seeing how the world reacts to one’s own actions.

The best part of it were the comments by the Brits in charge of doing so, regaring KJI’s invisible, inaudible commands/demands to his coach regarding the game itself.

Awesome, AP. Awesome, with a capital AP.

ChipDWood on June 16, 2010 at 1:53 AM

Shoot… the real North Koreans are probably unable to celebrate anything due to malnutrition and their work schedules to keep the “state” running. It’s not easy to look jovial and relaxed when you’re only eating recycled cardboard and sawdust. Somehow your worries about what you’re going to feed your kids that runs out tend to take up most of your mind’s energy.

Honestly, I’d like to hear some libs explain how wonderful communism/marxism/socialism is while getting a real tour of North Korea and the wonderful conditions its people live with. I had to bite my tongue so hard it bled during the Bejing Olympics because I got so tired of hearing how amazing the ceremonies were and how quickly they put it all together, etc. Conservatives are supposed to be the ones who have no real knowledge of the social evils of the world or the plight of countries less well-off than we are.

Yet the only time I hear blatantly stupid comments such as: “There’s no way you could put together an Olympics like that HERE. Everyone is so involved and no one holds out for the highest pay they can get.” said comments come our of the mouths of libs.

Mad Mad Monica on June 16, 2010 at 3:32 AM

@jjraines

I agree completely. I was in Germany for the last World Cup, and to be honest I hated Soccer! I thought it was so boring, and could not understand why soooo many people here were all excited about it. Then I sat down and watched a game where Germany played with my family here. Ho Lee Crap! They were so tense for the entire game! I did not realize that Soccer has no commercials, no time outs, and no time to really catch your breath and release built up tension. With the exception of the 15 minute break at half time. By the time Germany played Italy I was hooked! I finally had a Soccer team where I was emotionally invested in, and because of that I found out what the rules of Soccer are, why, and what strategies can be employed. Now it is one of my favorite sporting events to watch, because of the non-stop tension and emotional buildup that just explodes out of you when something goes well, or when something goes horribly wrong!

What I would encourage you guys to do, is sit down for one game with either fans of a team who is playing, or by yourself when no one is watching. And really invest yourself into, Team USA for example, winning. And react to every goal like someone just hit a grand slam, or a lineman had a end-zone interception and runs it down for a TD. You may just find out you like it!

wuesteblitz on June 16, 2010 at 5:44 AM

Defection of the team isn’t really that much of a risk because most of the players are ethnic Norks who were born in Japan and still live there and have stated publicly that they have no interest in ever actually living in North Korea. So long as they keep winning – and qualification for the World Cup at all is a big deal for most Asian countries – the North Korean government will pretty much keep putting up with it.

And even if they didn’t win, they’re NK’s best chance at success, anyway. There’s no way they would have any chance at all on the world stage with indigenous players, plus you would indeed have that defection risk.

It’s a big sham all around.

As far as the game went, the Norks played great, all things considering. I can’t stand Brazil (ie Yankees-style hate), so it was kind of hard to root against Brazil and consider who they were playing at the same time.

johnmackeygreene on June 16, 2010 at 8:06 AM

As far as the game went, the Norks played great, all things considering.
–The North Koreans played very well considering who they were up against. That they held them 0-0 at the half is impressive enough; that they fired back and put one past Cesar is truly remarkable. I had to laugh when Kaka took a dive just outside the box – the best in the world resorting to histrionics just to get a shot off against a (purportedly) second-rate team? Where have we heard that before…

This engagement was tantamount to the Yankees taking on a Bush League outfit and just squeaking by. North Korea made history last night: they may do so again later on this tournament.

By the way, this isn’t the first time North Koreans made it to the World Cup and made a sensation:

Grunchy Cranola on June 16, 2010 at 8:51 AM

The Astroturf convergence.

MNHawk on June 16, 2010 at 9:31 AM

Hey, I think that I saw Danny Glover, Senn Penn, Rosie O’Donnell and Oliver Stone in that payed for, NoKo supporting crowd……

Dick Turpin on June 16, 2010 at 3:04 PM