Video: Rep. Etheridge assaults student on street; Update: Video restored; Update: YouTube didn’t pull video

posted at 9:30 am on June 14, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Meet Congressman Bob Etheridge, Democrat from North Carolina’s Second CD. Rep. Etheridge doesn’t much like people asking him whether he supports Barack Obama’s agenda, as a student camera crew on the street discovered when asking this elected official about his political positions. Etheridge interrupts his journey to a fundraiser thrown by Nancy Pelosi to assault the young reporter, first by grabbing the hand that holds the microphone and then by horse-collaring him, all the while demanding, “Who are you? I have a right to know who you are.” Big Government reports (via Power Line):

Expect more of this. A hard, progressive left captured the Democrat majority in Congress and forced them to enact a fantasy grab-bag of legislation that is increasingly unpopular with the American public. We’re on the cusp of a deeper recession, millions of unemployed Americans have no prospect for work, taxes are about to spike higher and we’ve maxed out the national credit card. The Democrats were given a chance to run government and they’ve only succeeded in running it into the ground. …

Fortunately, Rep. Etheridge isn’t one of those gerry-mandered political welfare queens. According to the Cook Report, his district is an R+2 district.  He has a credible opponent. Check her out here.

Let’s recap what we saw on this video. A sitting Congressman–a presumed living extension of James Madison and other founding fathers–was asked on a public street whether he supported the President’s agenda. His response was to hit away a video camera and assault a student. The age of Pericles this ain’t.

His opponent is Renee Ellmers, who works in the health-care industry and is a staunch opponent of ObamaCare, opposes the bailouts and Obamanomics, is pro-life, wants to try terrorists in military courts, and demands immigration enforcement.  It doesn’t appear that Ellmers is a big fan of assaulting students on the street, either.  Perhaps this R+2 district might be ready to exchange their current Congressman for someone who understands the proper relationship between elected officials and their constituents — and the laws regarding assault and battery.

Update: YouTube pulled the video, apparently, but The Right Scoop has it up at Eyeblast, which I’ve embedded here.

Update II: I’ve uploaded it to my Dailymotion account to get a cleaner look:

Update III: I received a note from Breitbart TV noting that YouTube didn’t pull the video; Breitbart pulled it because it spotted an error in one of the titles.  The new video, once again at YouTube, can be seen here:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5 6

Sorry folks. Should have read the whole thread before posting the link.

Bobbertsan on June 14, 2010 at 1:40 PM

Yep, I thought “No comment” was the first lesson learned by members of Congress. We will know if the Left has gotten smarter if they don’t spread this kids life out in the media.

Cindy Munford on June 14, 2010 at 1:36 PM

yeah, what happened to that? “No comment” has become “who the hell are you and I’m going to kick your ass!” What is going on with these unhinged Dems…

/y’know I remember seeing violence like this *sniff* back in the 1970′s *sniff sniff* in San Francisco….shocking.
/Pelosi

ted c on June 14, 2010 at 1:41 PM

Either the Congressman has a predisposition to violence, or else he has been pushed to the breaking point by the strain of viewing the inquisitive public as a hostile enemy.
Chuckles3 on June 14, 2010 at 1:20 PM

Well, since Etheridge has now officially admitted he had absolutely no excuse whatsoever for committing assault and battery, and since there almost certainly will be no prosecution, all that leaves is the psycho-analysis.

I think liberals in Congress saw Barack Hussien Obama literally as their Messiah; the man with the built-in moral trump card to finally push through all their collectivist schemes and bring down the evil capitalist pigdog American way of life once and for all.

And, as it turned out, they were right about that.

The problem is that most Democrats in Congress are really just latte Communists. They always assumed their Messiah had some magical plan to make it so that Newmerica’s fearless leaders would recieve universal love from the freed workers, and America’s high standard of living would (somehow, magically) be retained for the first time in the history of the world through one of these “fundamental transformation.”

What they are only now slowing beginning to figure out is that Barack Hussien Obama isn’t just screwing around. He is from the Alinsky/Ayers/farrakhan school – practically from birth. He is a radical, solely for the sake of radicalism. Obama never HAD an endgame. His only goal is to slash and burn. And after that’s done, he literally could not care less what is left over.

We think it’s bad being on the recieving end of the chaos. It’s got to be a hundred times crazier from the inside looking out. Asking Etheridge whether he supports Obama’s agenda is like asking one of Hitlers followers how they felt about their “God” after Stalingrand and Kursk. You’re playing with fire.

logis on June 14, 2010 at 1:42 PM

Hopenchange has morphed into despair and destruction.

No wonder the dude became unhinged after a question that associated him with the Ojesus regime.

hillbillyjim on June 14, 2010 at 1:43 PM

Rep Ethridge’s statement:

“I have seen the video posted on several blogs. I deeply and profoundly regret my reaction and I apologize to all involved. Throughout my many years of service to the people of North Carolina, I have always tried to treat people from all viewpoints with respect. No matter how intrusive and partisan our politics can become, this does not justify a poor response. I have and I will always work to promote a civil public discourse.”
Matticus Finch on June 14, 2010 at 12:55 PM

What in heaven’s name was ‘intrusive and partisan’ about the kid’s simple question “Do you fully support the Obama agenda”? He’s a democrat!

Does Etheridge expect us to believe that his own mob boss Nancy Pelosi hadn’t ever asked him that very question before, especially when she was convincing him to stab his constituents in the back & betray the best interests of this nation to vote for stimulus and health care?

Gee, with the way he’s lashing out violently at youthful private citizens now, you’d think he wasn’t really very proud of his lockstep allegiance to the President’s ambitions to socialize the economy, bankrupt the next generation and make every citizen a slave to their arrogant government overlords or something.

leilani on June 14, 2010 at 1:48 PM

Wow, that video is shocking.

What power do these politicians think that they have that they can just pummel some college kid in the street for asking a question?

Unbelievable.

This guy needs to take a leave of absence from his job. NOW.

texasconserv on June 14, 2010 at 1:48 PM

The Left owes Senator McCarthy an apology.

Etheridgism!

Terp Mole on June 14, 2010 at 1:48 PM

Did he steal or rip the kids phone out of his hand at 0:25?

aquaviva on June 14, 2010 at 1:49 PM

the answer to the question is YES. ethridge has voted 99% of the time with Obama’a agenda

unseen on June 14, 2010 at 1:50 PM

He’s issued a statement.

Bobbertsan on June 14, 2010 at 1:37 PM

What a joke.

I have and I will always work to promote a civil public discourse.

Ummm, obviously you have not or you wouldn’t be needing to say these words.

ButterflyDragon on June 14, 2010 at 1:50 PM

I personally can not wait to vote agains tthis freaking idiot.

unseen on June 14, 2010 at 1:53 PM

ehteridge voted for TARP, Stimulus,Obamacare, cap and tax,finacial reform takeover of the country.

He is playing up his votes on pro-miltary issues to hid ehis votes on Obama’s agenda.

He was the prime candidate to run against Burr for the Seante but he saw the anti-dem wave and decided to stay in his “safe” seat in congress. I’m going to do everything in my power untill NOV to see his “safe” seat isn’t safe.

unseen on June 14, 2010 at 1:56 PM

I swear at 00:24, it looks to me like the Congressman makes a move to spray the student in the face with OC or mace. That would also explain his grasp of the student’s hand, holding it close to his own chest as if to keep him near.

Seriously, watch it back several times at the :24 mark and see if you don’t think it looks like he’s bringing something up and around, as if to spray the student in the face.

MsUnderestimated on June 14, 2010 at 1:57 PM

Aside from being a moron, it sort of appears that he might be returning from an adult beverage break.

keldog on June 14, 2010 at 1:58 PM

MsUnderestimated on June 14, 2010 at 1:57 PM

I think he steals the kids phone cam at :24.

I think there were 2 cameras there.

aquaviva on June 14, 2010 at 2:00 PM

Did he steal or rip the kids phone out of his hand at 0:25?

aquaviva on June 14, 2010 at 1:49 PM

It seems so. If you look at ThunderPigBlog’s video, it shows the POV of the phone, which is still recording.

shibumiglass on June 14, 2010 at 2:00 PM

MsUnderestimated on June 14, 2010 at 1:57 PM

I think that is him ripping the kids cell phone out of his hand or trying to block the video from being recorded.

Johnnyreb on June 14, 2010 at 2:00 PM

“Who are you?” Isn’t that the same question that Arizona is being demonized for asking?

parteagirl on June 14, 2010 at 2:01 PM

Christmas came early for Renee Ellmers.

DaveC on June 14, 2010 at 9:33 AM

Exactly what I thought. Although after checking out her website and bio, I’m quite impressed with her bona fides as a standalone. This is just a bonus for her. :-)

MsUnderestimated on June 14, 2010 at 2:04 PM

The sweetest revenge against the arrogance of these crooks and their enablers in the media is just to find their opponent’s website and donate.

When they realize that doing something like this immediately results in a money-bomb for their opponent, perhaps they will learn some civility toward us, the voters.

It’s sort of like how an armed society is a polite society, but in this case we are armed with the internet. And unlike many of the Dems’ constituency we have jobs, so we can all afford a few bucks to help out a good candidate once in a while.

drunyan8315 on June 14, 2010 at 2:06 PM

Johnnyreb on June 14, 2010 at 2:00 PM

You are probably right…I haven’t seen any alternate videos of this scene, but I am still just stunned at this man’s rage! It’s one thing to purposefully hold someone tight to your own body, but then to clamp your hands around the back of his neck? He was SERIOUSLY about to do something worse. I think the student is lucky the cameras WERE there. This guy is seriously unhinged.

MsUnderestimated on June 14, 2010 at 2:08 PM

I think the student is lucky the cameras WERE there. This guy is seriously unhinged. Makes me wonder how Mrs. Etheridge is treated at home if she angers him. “Burning Bed” anyone?
MsUnderestimated on June 14, 2010 at 2:08 PM

If a public figure does something like this in front of a camera once, isn’t it perfectly reasonable to assume he’s done it many, many times before?

logis on June 14, 2010 at 2:18 PM

logis at 1:42
Nice analysis, and I agree that Obama has no end game, as opposed simply doing as much damage to America as he can while he is in power. This is perfectly captured by the “let no crisis go to waste” rule of governance.
I continue to believe that Obama wants mass violence to occur in the US before this November’s elections.

GaltBlvnAtty on June 14, 2010 at 2:21 PM

GaltBlvnAtty on June 14, 2010 at 2:21 PM

I agree—when something occurs that causes the government to say that the country is “ungovernable” then be careful. I think we will take this country back and put all of these fools out on an island.

ted c on June 14, 2010 at 2:23 PM

Say hi to Helen Thomas at the shuffle board court Congressman.

RobCon on June 14, 2010 at 2:27 PM

Hey, this is America…only certain people are allowed to engage in violence on the streets, build bombs, organize political terror cells and such. Get over it folks and move along.

If these twenty-somethings had shown up wearing Che T-shirts and wearing black bandannas, I’m sure the good congressman would have been delighted to indulge them.

Dr. ZhivBlago on June 14, 2010 at 2:32 PM

Please quit calling this fool a Congressman, congresswoman or Congressperson.
It gives them a level of respect they have NOT earned!

And yes my father taught me respect was to be earned, not automatically granted.

They, and especially this one, are Congressasses or Congresscritters for the less offensive ones.

Money going to his opponent as we speak!

dhunter on June 14, 2010 at 2:33 PM

GaltBlvnAtty on June 14, 2010 at 2:21 PM

Even if you leave aside Barack Hussein Obama’s Radical Socialist and Islamic roots, he spent his entire adult life in the highest levels of the Black Liberation Theology Movement. I think a lot of people don’t realize that Trinity and Nation of Islam are COMPLETELY different from regular Islam.

Even for organizations like al Qaida, hating America is a means to an end. But for Black Liberation Theologists, hating “White America” IS the end. There is nothing else.

Listen to their sermons; they’re all perfectly coherent when they’re preaching “God damn America,” and what needs to be done about it. But then, when they get to the end, the part after the Evil White America has gotten its comeuppence, it’s all a bunch of incoherent gibberish about “chickens coming home to roost,” and “giant mother wheel spaceships.”

It’s all perfectly practical up to that point. But then they just throw up their hands and trust in their Black God to take over and do whatever He wills.

logis on June 14, 2010 at 2:35 PM

If you see anything at all about this beyond the righty web and pol sites, it will be a discussion about gotcha media and citizen activists starting trouble or something.

Also, why is it so hard to say I am ______ from ______? You want to be taken seriously, present yourself seriously. The kid blew it.

Moesart on June 14, 2010 at 11:22 AM

How hard is it for an adult Congressman to say “No comment” or, “Make an appointment at my office” or nothing at all to a young college student he doesn’t feel like talking to?

See what I did there? I showed you the other, and more obvious, edge of that sword you’re trying to wield.

holygoat on June 14, 2010 at 2:36 PM

We here may not be surprised by the imperial attitude of this corruptocrat. But if the average, less than aware American realized where these leftist pukes were taking this country, there would still be two groups running – one chasing with tiki torches and pitchforks and the other slithering into getaway limos and commandeered commercial airline flights.

ontherocks on June 14, 2010 at 2:43 PM

This is leading the news in Raleigh. Back home, Etheridge pretends to be Conservative and then goes to DC and supports Obama/Pelosi in everything they do. This could really help Ellmers. At least my libtard Congressman in neighboring NC-4, David Price, is a liberal at home and away games. Of course both are too chickensh%$ to have open town halls.

The Opinionator on June 14, 2010 at 2:58 PM

if people continue to behave this way, then someone is really, really going to get hurt. First, a guy is punched in the face, people are locked out of townhalls, now this….what’s next? where does it end?

ted c on June 14, 2010 at 3:04 PM

…where does it end?

ted c on June 14, 2010 at 3:04 PM

Excellent question.

Ugly on June 14, 2010 at 3:08 PM

Well, pompous person, if you bothered to read other posts you would see I already went there. It’s a funny video because they’re both idiots.

With the guy’s apology, this story is already over.

Moesart on June 14, 2010 at 3:20 PM

where does it end?

ted c on June 14, 2010 at 3:04 PM

Martial Law!

belad on June 14, 2010 at 3:21 PM

You just have to love the spin of the MSM….WaPo reporter is calling the confrontation of a student a “hug” by the congressman. href=”http://voices.washingtonpost.com/right-now/2010/06/who_tmzd_rep_bob_etheridge.html”>

PatriotRider on June 14, 2010 at 3:30 PM

“Also, why is it so hard to say I am ______ from ______? ”

The young man is under no obligation whatsoever to introduce himself. Why is it so hard to see that?

Since the (mis)representative works for the people, however, he does have an obligation to answer the question, with at least a “no comment,” instead of beating up a kid.

EPIC FAIL… again

psrch on June 14, 2010 at 3:30 PM

“With the guy’s apology, this story is already over.”

With his actions, his career in politics is – and should be – over.

“Hey, Congressman – why don’t you pick on someone your own size?”

psrch on June 14, 2010 at 3:32 PM

If you’re looking for something to amuse you, read the Dems talking points in response to this, er, macaca. Here’s point #6:

6. Push hard w/ blogs the lack of credibility inherent to anything Breitbart does/posts, given its role in the debunked ACORN videos

Buy Danish on June 14, 2010 at 3:38 PM

Hey, Congressman – why don’t you pick on someone your own size?”

psrch on June 14, 2010 at 3:32 PM

He can pick on me I’m smaller than he!

Go ahead make my day, big boy!

dhunter on June 14, 2010 at 3:40 PM

The Washington Post (Weigel) is claiming the Representative “hugged” (!) the student.

Lockstein13 on June 14, 2010 at 3:41 PM

I notice a dishonest apology. He spouts out another slogan and we see he didn’t abide by it. Now Etheridge can’t do town Hall mettings becuse he will want to avoid his bad behavior.

seven on June 14, 2010 at 3:44 PM

The guy won in 2008 by 36 percentage points, anyway. If you are going to set a guy up for a GOTCHA video, you should do it to someone you have a chance at beating. With the guy’s apology, this story is already over.
Moesart on June 14, 2010 at 3:20 PM

This is a very good point. No matter what seems “obvious” to normal people, we have to understand how the liberal mind works.

Liberals worship two things:
1) Power, and
2) Absolutely nothing else.

And what is the most base form of power? Being an ass hole and getting away with it.

To any normal person, Etheridge seems unstable or even sociopathic. But this is precisely the sort of behavior that all liberals crave in a leader.

They don’t have an explanation for this kind of thing. And they are never GOING to have a rational explanation for it – because, pretty much by definition, there can never be any rational explanation for anything liberals ever do.

The more we push these videos, and the more the barking moonbats personally attack us for it, the better off everyone will be.

logis on June 14, 2010 at 3:50 PM

Building on the New Dems long-standing support in theory, but disregard in practice, for “pay-as-you-go” policies …
Let’s give credit where credit is due.
ya2daup on June 14, 2010 at 10:50 AM

Also known as “lie-as-you-go” policies…

Lockstein13 on June 14, 2010 at 3:41 PM

Next we’ll hear that he was just tickling him.

Buy Danish on June 14, 2010 at 3:53 PM

Get a freaking load of that!? I hope to God these students press charges for assault! Who the heck does this freaking guy think he is??!! Some kind of freaking king no one dare approach???!
These Democrats are thugs! Everyone one of them should be hauled out of congress! That building will need fumigated next year!

JellyToast on June 14, 2010 at 4:01 PM

“Who are you? Tell me. Who are you? I have a right to know.”

I’m looking for whose @ss to kick.

Tom_OC on June 14, 2010 at 9:46 AM

LOVE it! And Etheridge just handed him a gold-plated invite with that horse-collar choke.

MsUnderestimated on June 14, 2010 at 4:03 PM

It won’t be long before congressman openly spit on citizens and kick and slap them as they walk by. I mean, we deserve don’t we? We’re not congress, so we must deserve their spit in our face and their boot on the back of our necks.

No wait, I’m being paranoid here. A congressman like this would never abuse power.

JellyToast on June 14, 2010 at 4:06 PM

“hooyoo” – mating call of the lame duck

BobMbx on June 14, 2010 at 4:10 PM

Thugocrat.

AshleyTKing on June 14, 2010 at 4:16 PM

Press charges please!!

PrezHussein on June 14, 2010 at 4:28 PM

I’m assuming if you’re a member of Congress you’ve had some dealings with the media now an agin’.

There is a standard way to handle somebody who walks up and sticks a camera and a microphone in your face on the street.

And this ISN’T it.

If this guy was a Republican treating a liberal reporter like this, this video would be airing nonstop on MSNBC and CNN right now.

manofaiki on June 14, 2010 at 4:34 PM

manofaiki on June 14, 2010 at 4:34 PM

Just imagine the reaction if Palin – a private citizen – did it.

aquaviva on June 14, 2010 at 4:39 PM

logis on June 14, 2010 at 3:50 PM

One of the most important points to come out of this episode, and also why we need to support Breitbart and his crew of patriots.

Notice logis’ point is the inverse of this talking point.

Buy Danish on June 14, 2010 at 3:38 PM

ontherocks on June 14, 2010 at 4:45 PM

Gangster Government in action.

If I did that to somebody in the street I’d be waiting for the bail bondsman to free me as I write.

Our Government has become an illegal enterprise. More dangerous than any organized crime family.

TheBigOldDog on June 14, 2010 at 4:50 PM

MsUnderestimated on June 14, 2010 at 1:57 PM

I wondered that too. I think it’s just the phone/camera grab and then holding at his side. I wondered if the kid got his “device” back.

hawkdriver on June 14, 2010 at 4:56 PM

manofaiki on June 14, 2010 at 4:34 PM

He did. I don’t have a link, but if you search around you’ll see there are two camera vids. One from the victim who’s phone was snatched and the other from the kid who videotaped standing back.

aquaviva on June 14, 2010 at 5:07 PM

hawkdriver on June 14, 2010 at 4:56 PM

Whoops!. Above my post is in response to hawkdriver, not manofaiki.

aquaviva on June 14, 2010 at 5:08 PM

With the guy’s apology, this story is already over.

Moesart on June 14, 2010 at 3:20 PM

No, they are not both idiots. Nice try to smear the guy who got assaulted for the act of asking a simple question of a sitting Congressman, though. But really, no dice. The college kid did nothing wrong, period. Full stop. End of story. The only person in the wrong in this situation is Congressman Ethridge, soon to be Citizen Ethridge.

holygoat on June 14, 2010 at 5:19 PM

Oh how I wish that were me in the student’s place. I would now be known as the guy that kicked the shit out of a sitting congressman on tape. Once he touches you, you have every right to put his teeth down his throat. DC here I come. Etheridge, please try that with me.

pghpat26 on June 14, 2010 at 5:26 PM

pghpat26 on June 14, 2010 at 5:26 PM

I’m sorry but were this ass to ASSAULT ME in the same manner that he did this student it would be the LAST THING he ever did in his life.

I carry both a combat knife (24/7) and a Walther P6 (most of the time) when I am out and about.

I don’t personally want to kill him (or anyone else for that matter) but I WILL defend myself if I feel my life is in danger.

SgtSVJones on June 14, 2010 at 6:10 PM

Has both cameras unedited.

Camera 1, the one held by the student assaulted.

Camera 2, nearby student and observer.

opusrex on June 14, 2010 at 6:16 PM

We have a man who would be king, and an overweening imperial congress.

Dhuka on June 14, 2010 at 6:22 PM

Martial Law!

belad on June 14, 2010 at 3:21 PM

Wouldn’t work. Most soldiers in our military would not in good conscience take up arms against their own citizenry. Plus, we citizens have a shitload of guns too.

infidel4life on June 14, 2010 at 6:47 PM

Drunken buffoonery. Teddy would be so proud.

Slowburn on June 14, 2010 at 6:51 PM

With the guy’s apology, this story is already over.

Moesart on June 14, 2010 at 3:20 PM

Wrong. That wasn’t an apology, it was CYA damage control. And this story has plently of legs left.

infidel4life on June 14, 2010 at 6:53 PM

What is this congressman so deeply involved in that he would react this way at a simple question?

Inanemergencydial on June 14, 2010 at 7:00 PM

Obama needs to do some “ass-kicking” in his own party

whatzit2u on June 14, 2010 at 7:11 PM

The more one watches this video, the more disturbing it is. He goes from 0 to 60 in no time — BEFORE the kids have a chance to formulate an answer to his aggressive “Who are you? Who are you?”, he strikes one of them. They didn’t dodge him or bait him before he snapped and attacked.

Look at that menacing face at the beginning of the first clip and think about whether you think it’s really the first and only time he’s ever been physically aggressive with a weaker party.

Chuckles3 on June 14, 2010 at 7:59 PM

Nancy, Barry… and Bully Bill.

nosliwelyk on June 14, 2010 at 8:05 PM

It’ assault. The student simply calls teh police and files charges. This is not really all that complex. Why do people make it so?

pc on June 14, 2010 at 8:06 PM

From 234 hits this morning to over 411,000 so far!

By morning, it should be well over one million!

honsy on June 14, 2010 at 8:13 PM

TheBigOldDog on June 14, 2010 at 4:50 PM

The Chicago Daley Machine is going nationwide.

The good news is that most of these guys are still amateurs at it.

logis on June 14, 2010 at 8:25 PM

WHOUHYOO? WHOUHYOO?

…is that guy drunk?

R. Waher on June 14, 2010 at 8:38 PM

This is typical of the immoral people who reside in the communist dem party.

proconstitution on June 14, 2010 at 8:49 PM

That guy makes Robert Byrd and Patrick Kennedy sound sober.

The pip squeak with mic should have answered, ” Never mind who I am, who the F@#$k do you think you are!”

Does anyone else think if that kid was a little bigger than a hobbit the Congressman wouldn’t have laid a hand on him?

walkingboss on June 14, 2010 at 9:02 PM

hooooyeryew?

hooooyeryew?

jaaeeetyet?

nope

jeeeeew?

naahh

yaaunnttew?

aaaaaright

ted c on June 14, 2010 at 9:10 PM

ted c on June 14, 2010 at 9:10 PM

“It’s OK Stewardess, I speak jive.”

massrighty on June 14, 2010 at 9:17 PM

hooooyeryew?

hooooyeryew?

jaaeeetyet?

nope

jeeeeew?

naahh

yaaunnttew?

aaaaaright

ted c on June 14, 2010 at 9:10 PM

Are you from Pittsburgh?? That sure sounds like it!

Sam Adams on June 14, 2010 at 9:20 PM

New picture of Congressman Bad-Ass?

BKeyser on June 14, 2010 at 9:24 PM

“It’s OK Stewardess, I speak jive.”

massrighty on June 14, 2010 at 9:17 PM

Ha! Airplane!!

ted c on June 14, 2010 at 9:27 PM

Drunk as a skunk.

Mason on June 14, 2010 at 9:44 PM

Drunk as a skunk.

Mason on June 14, 2010 at 9:44 PM

That’s what I was thinking.

“HELP! I’m bein’ repressed!”

Jaibones on June 14, 2010 at 10:44 PM

Has both cameras unedited.

Camera 1, the one held by the student assaulted.

Camera 2, nearby student and observer.

opusrex

Thank you!

Benaiah on June 14, 2010 at 11:16 PM

Inanemergencydial on June 14, 2010 at 7:00 PM

Looks like he just came from a Teddy Kennedy Memorial Luncheon. errrp

justltl on June 15, 2010 at 12:39 AM

The kid should have said, “I am a Reagan Conservative”,
Now give me back my phone…we give you too much tax money
already…”:lol

BTW…was the kid’s phone a Droid or a iphone? Looked like
a Droid to me.

dec5 on June 15, 2010 at 2:15 AM

Boorish behavior…but…watching Hannity last night he went on and on about this being assault and whether the congresssman should be charged as such.

Isn’t this similar to the left’s dropping “racist” at the slightest imagined hint of wrong.

Calling this assault is comaparable to calling the hallmark card racist…

Larr on June 15, 2010 at 6:50 AM

Watched the early segment of “Morning Joe” and the idiot co-host Mika B bending over backwards to defend this “attacked” congressman. To his credit Scarborough just laughing in her face. And the rest of the panel (a TIME flak, a Politico flak) just sitting there silent with looks on their face like “this is the stupidest woman. Why are we here?”.

Marcus on June 15, 2010 at 7:06 AM

The leftists are circling the wagons today thinking that by attacking the students, they can make this go away. Which of course makes this problem exponentially worse for them, as the left’s unbelievably fascist reaction is now part of the story.

You just tell me there isn’t a God.

Try it.

jeff_from_mpls on June 15, 2010 at 8:06 AM

He really wanted to know the youths’ names.

Remember the woman who asked Gore about Juanita Brodrick at a televised town hall? She was audited by the IRS soon after.

These guys have real power whether they exercise it themselves or merely inspire some friendly bureaucrats to act on their own initiatives.

Laurence on June 15, 2010 at 10:09 AM

Calling this assault is comaparable to calling the hallmark card racist…

Larr on June 15, 2010 at 6:50 AM

The Hallmark card was not racist (unless aliens from outer space are important to you)…but this was an assault.
I would like to see your reaction if someone grabbed you by the wrist, took your phone, then tried to grab you around the neck…
Don’t be foolish…this was an arrogant, out of control congressman that should resign in disgrace…
The reason for the assault, because the kid asked if he supported Obama’s agenda, and a few seconds later he was attacked.

right2bright on June 15, 2010 at 11:10 AM

I KNOW it is foolish to call the hallmark card racisit…it’s become a word with no meaning..

However, if grabbing someones wrist rises to the level of “assault” then we need a new name to apply where the oriental kids in CA are being attacked by groups of “troubled youths”…I’m sure they would much rather have had someone grab their wrist!

Larr on June 15, 2010 at 12:07 PM

And Nancy was — SNIFF! — worried about Republican violence? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ugw0oKDBh4g

RationalIcthus on June 15, 2010 at 12:35 PM

Actually, in CA, the event rises above the level of simple assault to an actual battery upon the person of the student. Taking of the phone would be either grand theft person or, more correctly, robbery (strong arm).

keldog on June 15, 2010 at 9:36 PM

Consider that this is just June.

Kralizec on June 16, 2010 at 1:49 AM

Here is amazing news from Rasmussen.

Kralizec on June 16, 2010 at 1:57 AM

And in other news: I’m becoming inured to online ads featuring children with hideously cleft palates.

Kralizec on June 16, 2010 at 2:03 AM