Video: Rep. Etheridge assaults student on street; Update: Video restored; Update: YouTube didn’t pull video

posted at 9:30 am on June 14, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Meet Congressman Bob Etheridge, Democrat from North Carolina’s Second CD. Rep. Etheridge doesn’t much like people asking him whether he supports Barack Obama’s agenda, as a student camera crew on the street discovered when asking this elected official about his political positions. Etheridge interrupts his journey to a fundraiser thrown by Nancy Pelosi to assault the young reporter, first by grabbing the hand that holds the microphone and then by horse-collaring him, all the while demanding, “Who are you? I have a right to know who you are.” Big Government reports (via Power Line):

Expect more of this. A hard, progressive left captured the Democrat majority in Congress and forced them to enact a fantasy grab-bag of legislation that is increasingly unpopular with the American public. We’re on the cusp of a deeper recession, millions of unemployed Americans have no prospect for work, taxes are about to spike higher and we’ve maxed out the national credit card. The Democrats were given a chance to run government and they’ve only succeeded in running it into the ground. …

Fortunately, Rep. Etheridge isn’t one of those gerry-mandered political welfare queens. According to the Cook Report, his district is an R+2 district.  He has a credible opponent. Check her out here.

Let’s recap what we saw on this video. A sitting Congressman–a presumed living extension of James Madison and other founding fathers–was asked on a public street whether he supported the President’s agenda. His response was to hit away a video camera and assault a student. The age of Pericles this ain’t.

His opponent is Renee Ellmers, who works in the health-care industry and is a staunch opponent of ObamaCare, opposes the bailouts and Obamanomics, is pro-life, wants to try terrorists in military courts, and demands immigration enforcement.  It doesn’t appear that Ellmers is a big fan of assaulting students on the street, either.  Perhaps this R+2 district might be ready to exchange their current Congressman for someone who understands the proper relationship between elected officials and their constituents — and the laws regarding assault and battery.

Update: YouTube pulled the video, apparently, but The Right Scoop has it up at Eyeblast, which I’ve embedded here.

Update II: I’ve uploaded it to my Dailymotion account to get a cleaner look:

Update III: I received a note from Breitbart TV noting that YouTube didn’t pull the video; Breitbart pulled it because it spotted an error in one of the titles.  The new video, once again at YouTube, can be seen here:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Yet another crime…now why the hell hasn’t this kid pressed charges yet?

IrishEi on June 14, 2010 at 11:45 AM

Not only that, but IIRC, stealing a communication device to prevent the reporting of a crime is, in fact, a felony.

I’m sure the boys in DC lockup would like a piece of a fine Congressman like that.

JohnGalt23 on June 14, 2010 at 11:54 AM

But, again, the congressman’s reaction was totally inappropriate and likely criminal, but if these youths want answers, they should introduce themselves.

forest on June 14, 2010 at 10:59 AM

You can forgive the kid. He was so flustered at a U.S. Congressman going berserk he probably couldn’t think of anything other than, “get your hands off me!”

PackerBronco on June 14, 2010 at 11:54 AM

He introduced himself? I must have missed his name and organization. I thought he just said “congressman” a couple of times.

forest on June 14, 2010 at 11:28 AM

Yeah, you did miss it, he said he was a student reporter, but he hardly had anytime to retort, since he was attacked by this nut case. When you are attacked, assaulted, you don’t start giving out your name.
I can see you now: You walk into a bar, ask if you can sit down, and the guy says “What’s your name?”, and you say “I just want to sit down, may I?” and he grabs your wrist and says “Who are you, what is your name?”, and you say “Forest, I am a gemini, I like long walks on the beach and quite evening by the fire, I live at 123 Jamine place and I work for Beaverton Foods, my social security number is….”
Funny, I don’t remember reporters shouting out questions to a candidate and always identifying themselves…I see a lot of interviews with newsmen/women shouting out “Mr. President, or Congressman what do you think about this?
Two kids, in Washington with a microphone and video, is not an “ambush”, this is a congressman, a seasoned congressman, the kids are awesome for exposing this guy, they kicked his *ss…one less dem is what this video means…except to guys like you.

right2bright on June 14, 2010 at 11:54 AM

To paraphrase Vice President Biden:

I got three words for you –

FILE.ASSAULT.CHARGES.NOW.

(…and theft…and…and…)

Lockstein13 on June 14, 2010 at 11:56 AM

This calls for a beer summitt between Congressass and college kids.

Get the Congressass drunk and tattoo jacka$$ on his forehead!

dhunter on June 14, 2010 at 11:57 AM

This is why Democrats support gun control: Because they know how prone to violence they are, and assume everyone else must be one stressful situation away from wanting to blow someone away.

Socratease on June 14, 2010 at 11:57 AM

The bottom line here is that the congressman used his size to “bully” the student. Would he have done this if the kid looked like a Pro Wrestler?, and yes I use that term loosely. No he wouldn’t have. I agree that the kid should have identified himself when asked but he isn’t required to and a politician has to have a little thicker skin than that or he needs to get out of town. He’s lucky the kid didn’t instinctively pop him in the nose or the eye. That would have looked real good at the fund raiser. I don’t care how out of line the students were the congressman knows better. It was nothing more than arrogance and stupidity. It could have turned out a whole lot different.

New Patriot on June 14, 2010 at 11:58 AM

I look forward to one of these folks putting their hands on me. Three words, “Error in judgement”.

VegasRick on June 14, 2010 at 11:59 AM

Is this how you want your congresspersons to treat their constuents? He’s a congressman! The kid is a kid! How does it assist the republic to denigrate a kid for being a kid? The guy should be impeached for failing to understand his duty to the citizenry. All investigations of the student should cease! This even handedness in response to clear bias has to stop! The kid has no power. The congressman does! It’s time to start investigating the people who make decisions that impact everyone’s lives. Why is any effort at all being put towards trying to see the congressman’s side of the story? If the people who claim to be news people aren’t going to ask any questions, then it’s the duty of every citizen to ask them, with or without an introduction! He isn’t a prince; this isn’t a monarchy! The guy is a congressman, fer chrissakes! Kudos to the kid for asking questions. Boo to the congressman for acting like a thug!

jakabok_botch on June 14, 2010 at 11:59 AM

Well, his opponent just got 25 bucks from me that she likely wouldn’t have if Rep. Etheridge hadn’t decided to attack some college kid on the street.

Way to go, Bob. Perhaps you should cut back on the martinis while you are at it, tough guy.

Asher on June 14, 2010 at 11:59 AM

Next time…

… the students should dress in all black, cover their faces, use a bull horn, and incessantly beat a loud drum whilst throwing oil mixed with urine, semen, and feces on him as he passes.

I am sure the Democrat Congressman would have felt right at home and answered all of their questions at length.

Seven Percent Solution on June 14, 2010 at 11:59 AM

Update: YouTube didn’t pull video

Thanks, I’m out a nickel now.

reaganaut on June 14, 2010 at 12:01 PM

I guess spitting is the new meme! That must have been quite the editing job.
Cindy Munford on June 14, 2010 at 11:40 AM

Even that doesn’t make any damned sense. If someone spit on you, would you walk up to him and grab hold of him? That would be the LAST thing any sane person would do. All the moonbats’ “defense” does is claim that it’s OK for Etheridge to act like a sociopath, because he might later decide to claim that someone else did.

Don’t get me wrong: I’m not saying there is no possible excuse. For example, if it turns out that the student was carrying a small thermonuclear device which would have destroyed the city but for Etheridge’s quick thinking, I will be the first to apologize for jumping to conclusions.

In the meantime though, I’m going to comment on what I see with my “evil conservative lying eyes.”

logis on June 14, 2010 at 12:03 PM

The kid should have introduced him self first thing.
forest on June 14, 2010 at 9:55 AM

Actually, the kid was under no obligation to do so whatsoever.

psrch on June 14, 2010 at 12:05 PM

Great catch, JohnGalt…!!!

Ragspierre on June 14, 2010 at 12:06 PM

Too funny!

Jim Treacher says:
June 14, 2010 at 11:15 am

Yes, Tommy, I’m sure the kid spit on Etheridge. In between calling him “Sir.”

Cindy Munford on June 14, 2010 at 12:08 PM

Bob has been cleaning his facebook account of any disparaging remarks. Damage control in full effect.

He’s going to get a pass from the left wing media.

He will apologize.
He will not be charged.

Typical leftist and their apologists.

Black Adam on June 14, 2010 at 12:09 PM

donkichi on June 14, 2010 at 11:49 AM

Don, still in Kandahar? If so, stay safe friend.

hawkdriver on June 14, 2010 at 12:09 PM

logis on June 14, 2010 at 12:03 PM

Of course it doesn’t make any sense but they got away with it once, not try again.

So it wasn’t the kid’s cell phone? Pheeew! Close one, we barely escaped!

Cindy Munford on June 14, 2010 at 12:10 PM

Since I watched this video this morning, there are two things that came to mind.

1. He was a student, but what if he was one of the constituients of N.C. and was handled like this?

2. The Congressman (any for that matter) should never lay a hand on anyone, especially since the kid never touched him.

I hope the kid pressed charges.

upinak on June 14, 2010 at 12:12 PM

Boy, those violent tea partiers are starting to get out of hand. Wait, he’s a Demoncrap? A Demoncrap Congressman? But shouldn’t he be the epitome of tolerance? Not that what the student did was any kind of dissent, but isn’t dissent patriotic? Shouldn’t the Congressman have treated the student with dignity and respect. Oh, I get it, he wasn’t one of the Congressman’s favorite victim groups, so rather than condescend to the student, he attacked him.

Frankly, if they guy had handled me that way, I’d have knocked him onto his Obama with a right upper-cut then tied him by the throat to a signpost with his necktie. But that’s just me. Someone a bit less hot-tempered than I am may have used a right hook.

mr.blacksheep on June 14, 2010 at 12:13 PM

The kid should have introduced him self first thing.
forest on June 14, 2010 at 9:55 AM

Actually, the kid was under no obligation to do so whatsoever.

psrch on June 14, 2010 at 12:05 PM

You assume that they work for us?

That’s cute.

/s

Seriously though, that needs to be in a campaign ad and I’d look into charges against that “congressman” if I were that kid.

Yakko77 on June 14, 2010 at 12:13 PM

Etheridge is an as*hole. Cant wait to see him squirm.

Dave Rywall on June 14, 2010 at 12:14 PM

I think the kid blew it.
I seem to recall Mike Wallace always using his intro line “Hi, I’m Mike Wallace with 60 Minutes” every time he busted some fool.
The identification line is simply cheap insurance; whether the kid had to identify himself or not becomes immaterial once he does so clearly, at the beginning, on camera.
Lesson:
– Always clearly state an identification tag line, FIRST THING.
– Then, when the fool starts grabbing, fight back.
– Make sure EVERYTHING is on camera.

Arbalest on June 14, 2010 at 12:14 PM

He’s going to get a pass from the left wing media.

He will apologize.
He will not be charged.

Typical leftist and their apologists.

Black Adam on June 14, 2010 at 12:09 PM
———–
So much strawman goodness in here, captain clown.

Dave Rywall on June 14, 2010 at 12:14 PM

Here in Indiana, the congressman would have committed Battery (B Misdemeanor), Criminal Confinement (D Felony), Robbery (C Felony).

novaculus on June 14, 2010 at 12:16 PM

forest on June 14, 2010 at 11:28 AM

So I didn’t miss it. He did not introduce himself from the outset like I suggested he should have, and never introduced himself by name or organization. My suggestion is to introduce yourself by name, ala Jason Mattera, before the subject even says anything, which is what I mean by “from the top”. He did not do that. But I don’t blame him for getting flustered after the guy basically attacked him – I don’t think anyone would expect that much hostility and physical contact right off the bat.

My stance is simply that there is a better way to approach public figures if you want to get an answer from them or want to be taken seriously. It includes an introduction – from the beginning – the first thing you say.

forest on June 14, 2010 at 12:16 PM

Here’s a pet peeve: The ‘kid’ is a citizen. His age is irrelevant. If he’s 15, 20, 35, or 60 it just doesn’t matter. Any citizen behaving this way to another citizen in the street without any more provocation than, ‘Sir, do you support President Obama’s agenda’ would be shackled. Or had the hell beaten out of him, as this dipstick deserves and our intrepid citizen should have done (which is really the only surprising thing in this video – Etheridge had the guy’s right hand in his right hand, leaving his entire left side exposed).

TinMan13 on June 14, 2010 at 12:16 PM

Support the opposition candidate in NC02!

tetriskid on June 14, 2010 at 12:17 PM

So much strawman goodness in here, captain clown.

Dave Rywall on June 14, 2010 at 12:14 PM

Yes, I am not drawing from any past history of lefties getting a pass in the media. I must be making it all up.

Black Adam on June 14, 2010 at 12:17 PM

And you think that not doing so is grounds for being manhandled?

FAIL

psrch on June 14, 2010 at 12:18 PM

forest on June 14, 2010 at 12:16 PM

Your assertion is fallacious, that by addressing a public figure one must identify themselves before the public figure deigns to speak to you. So you support the concept that our elected officials are somehow royalty. Balderdash.

TinMan13 on June 14, 2010 at 12:18 PM

forest on June 14, 2010 at 12:16 PM

Tell that to the kid who was interviewing Murtha and Al Gore. Both were extremely rude and probably would have pushed and smacked the kid too.

Give me a break.

upinak on June 14, 2010 at 12:19 PM

All of you saying the kids should have indroduced themselves, watch the damn video again. He grabs for the camera within seconds of asking who they were before the students even had a chance to react. If it had degenerated that quickly I probably would ahve been flustered like those kids were too.

Red herring to the uncalled for behavior of the older and wiser congressman. And it is criminal behavior. If the kids had grabbed the congressman like that, their mug shots would be on The Smoking Gun already and Etheridge would be on The View decrying Conservative violence.

hawkdriver on June 14, 2010 at 12:20 PM

leaving his entire left side exposed

Should be ‘right’ side. Meep!

TinMan13 on June 14, 2010 at 12:20 PM

“I have a right to know who you are while assaulting you”

Interesting angle there Congresscritter.

Odie1941 on June 14, 2010 at 12:21 PM

Oohhh! Someone made a good point at Washington Post, we will have to compare and contrast the handling of this to Sen. Allen’s Macca video.

Cindy Munford on June 14, 2010 at 12:21 PM

forest on June 14, 2010 at 12:16 PM

And if you’re wearing a hat, it’s concidered polite to tip it upon meeting someone.

But, just out of a purely morbid curiosity, what part of ANY of what you keep – repeatedly – saying has anything to do with Etheridge being a freaking psycho?

logis on June 14, 2010 at 12:22 PM

So much strawman goodness in here, captain clown.

Dave Rywall on June 14, 2010 at 12:14 PM

So you came to the defense of Sen. Allen when he called an operative at a campaign rally “Macca”?

Cindy Munford on June 14, 2010 at 12:23 PM

logis on June 14, 2010 at 12:22 PM

Exactly!

hawkdriver on June 14, 2010 at 12:23 PM

For all you people who think that the kid should have provided his name know nothing about these thugs. If anyone says anything to contradict Congressman Thug Jim Moran, he will go to the ends of the earth to find out who said it. He wants to go after people—these loons believe in Chicago politics–in the politics of personal destruction–if you thwart them they will go after you PERSONALLY and MAKE UP STUFF. In his district, Moran lied to a reporter and the information had to be corrected but the people knew to demand cover from the reporter and have about 10 witnesses. Moran’s office’s response wasn’t to correct themselves but to demand over and over WHO WAS IT? Unless you want to be pilloried by the libtard press or lose your job or suddenly be charged with child abuse, don’t give your name to these assholes.

Haunches on June 14, 2010 at 12:24 PM

FILE CHARGES, FILE CHARGES, FILE CHARGES….hard proof the Democratic communist left has no respect for American Citizens and their opinions. This congressman should be publicly flogged. He purposely intimidated this brave young citizen because the congressman is what he is and that is a commie disguised as an American. Arrest him, arrest him, arrest him.

Santa….no gifts for Etheridge the Commie.

SANTA on June 14, 2010 at 12:24 PM

logis on June 14, 2010 at 12:22 PM

The McKenzie brother went off the thread deep end long ago. I don’t even read his comments anymore.

hawkdriver on June 14, 2010 at 12:25 PM

I hope the kid presses charges. This a$$hole has no place in government.

ProfessorMiao on June 14, 2010 at 12:25 PM

logis on June 14, 2010 at 12:22 PM

hawkdriver on June 14, 2010 at 12:25 PM

Sorry, that was for…

Cindy Munford on June 14, 2010 at 12:23 PM

hawkdriver on June 14, 2010 at 12:26 PM

The student should have been wearing an SEIU purple shirt…

PatriotRider on June 14, 2010 at 12:26 PM

Is this a Gotcha moment I can’t wait for November

KATDADDY on June 14, 2010 at 12:26 PM

The way he put his arm around him and would not let go, one might think another type of assult was about to happen.

mechkiller_k on June 14, 2010 at 12:26 PM

This guys opponent just got my contribution.

Voidseeker on June 14, 2010 at 12:27 PM

Why should these political bums be any different from the union thugs and other criminals they employ and pander to?

rplat on June 14, 2010 at 12:29 PM

forest on June 14, 2010 at 12:16 PM

Lawl.

Civil liberties FAIL.

Yes… because a Congressman should be able to commit assualt if you don’t give him your name!

Wow.

tetriskid on June 14, 2010 at 12:29 PM

forest on June 14, 2010 at 12:16 PM

Your sentence is vague, but I am assuming you meant to say that you don’t blame the congressman…yeah, the congressman was basically attacked with this “Do you support the Obama agenda?”, that is quite a vicious attack.
And I will state one more time, since you want to ignore facts…often, very often, news people shout out questions without identifying themselves.
Politicians answer to us…they just answer to us, including the man on the street…congressmen have no right to push, shove, grab, attack, when asked a basic, simple, question.
You are an apologist, I am not…we disagree, you think it is okay for a congressman to attack someone who doesn’t give him his name, I don’t.
You think pushing someone around because they don’t bow to their demands is okay, I don’t.
You think before asking a politician a question you have to identify yourself, I don’t…I think politicians are responsible for answering basic, simple questions in public.
Of course you don’t…and neither does Obama after Joe the Plumber.

right2bright on June 14, 2010 at 12:30 PM

Socratease on June 14, 2010 at 11:57 AM

Heh

visions on June 14, 2010 at 12:35 PM

I’ve uploaded a remix using the two original videos uploaded of the attack set to the tune of “Who Are You?” and listed contact numbers for his offices. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aa_Gc6yCXnM

Thunder Pig on June 14, 2010 at 12:36 PM

Dear congressman,

Please come see me I have a few questions to ask you . . . and please, please be physically aggressive because I really look forward to the opportunity to knock you flat on your liberal ass.

rplat on June 14, 2010 at 12:36 PM

I betcha that Renee Elmers (Etheridge opponent) who is strongly pro-life just became Momma Grizzlie’s newest cub.

bw222 on June 14, 2010 at 12:36 PM

Let’s not get too excited about this. I’m sure Eric Holder is all over this. I am patiently awaiting the results of his thorough investigation to see whether any of the young man’s civil rights were violated.

“This is a big fxxxing deal.”—–Joe Biden

He was just trying to identify “whose ass to kick.”—–Somebody Famous

hillbillyjim on June 14, 2010 at 12:41 PM

I see an ad in this. Show what you can–clearly–of Rep. Etheridge in the video and at last of his “Who are you?” up pops a head shot of Renee saying, “I’m Renee Elmers, I don’t rough up students and I approved of this message.”

Or something like that…….

TwinkietheKid on June 14, 2010 at 12:42 PM

hawkdriver on June 14, 2010 at 12:26 PM

LOL! That’s funny, he’s my favorite member of the “opposition”.

Cindy Munford on June 14, 2010 at 12:44 PM

Congresspeople can’t be arrested when going to or from congress, or while attending a session, and they can’t be sued or punished for anything they say in congress. Members of Congress may be arrested while attending Congressional sessions only for treason, felony or breach of peace pursuant to Article I, Section 6 of the Constitution. Even going to a Pelosi fundraiser most likely will qualify for that protection.

He’s lucky it was a kid; I would have automatically reacted by blocking his swing and probably would have countered with a swing at him. Jail would have been worth it.

My congressman, who was very angry with me last week for questioning a recent vote, waited to call me instead of confronting me when we were engaged in a public discussion. He is smaller than me and I look old and nasty to boot. Works for me.

amr on June 14, 2010 at 12:44 PM

All these guys will go after you–politics of personal destruction. When they are threatened or caught in a lie they will isolate and attack. I’ve seen it happen and you don’t give them any information because they WILL come after you, your job, your family’s jobs, your kids. If they can’t figure out any other way to get you they will MAKE STUFF UP.

You aren’t dealing with rational, reasonable people. You are dealing with thugs.

Haunches on June 14, 2010 at 12:45 PM

Who do these people think they are? Big Government provides a helpful “recap what we saw on this video. A sitting Congressman-a presumed living extension of James Madison and other founding fathers-was asked on a public street whether he supported the President’s agenda. His response was to hit away a video camera and assault a student. The age of Pericles this ain’t.” No, it’s the age of Gangster Government.

From powerlineblog.com
Pretty much sums it up.

Keemo on June 14, 2010 at 12:46 PM

This guy is insane. The second the kid said let me go and that idiot held on and cuffed him round the neck should be more than enough to press some charges.

These congressmen are scared that the peasants are revolting. Etheridge needs to get some serious help. He’s loony.

BakerAllie on June 14, 2010 at 12:46 PM

I wonder if the governor of NC, state legislature or state senate there can reach out and yank this congress thugs sorry a$$ back to his district where he should be placed in a stockade and covered in honey and maple syrup for the fire ants to have at him.

justice.

ted c on June 14, 2010 at 12:49 PM

I went to Renee Ellmers site and it appears she’s another motivated citizen who’s had enough of the left’s crap and decided to dive into the system for the sake of her country and her children’s future. We need as many of them as we can get and we need to support them as much as possible.
But for their sake, as well as ours, we still need term limits to help protect these good people from the corrupting influence of entrenched political power. Eventually, it corrupts them all.

SKYFOX on June 14, 2010 at 12:49 PM

I would have given the Congressman free dental work.

John the Libertarian on June 14, 2010 at 12:50 PM

The funny thing is that the same people who blame the sorry state of civil discourse in this country on folks like Limbaugh, Beck, Levin, Breitbart, “‘baggers” etc., are the same jackasses defending this criminal behavior.

Why not admit that the Congressman “acted stupidly?”

hillbillyjim on June 14, 2010 at 12:51 PM

FNC is finally head-lining this story on their main website!!…let’s see who else pick’s it up…crickets

PatriotRider on June 14, 2010 at 12:52 PM

justice.

ted c on June 14, 2010 at 12:49 PM

Ted, to their credit, NC Dems treat their bad guys appropriately most of the time. Google Rep Jim Black.

hawkdriver on June 14, 2010 at 12:53 PM

So much strawman goodness in here, captain clown.

Dave Rywall on June 14, 2010 at 12:14 PM

Cindy Munford on June 14, 2010 at 12:23 PM
—–
Huh?

Dave Rywall on June 14, 2010 at 12:53 PM

Was Bob in a committee meeting before this? Did he receive bad news? A soon-coming debt crisis? Looming terrorist threat? What set him off?

I’m not excusing his behavior–I hope he gets charged. Something about his quick reaction makes me nervous, though.

Grace_is_sufficient on June 14, 2010 at 12:55 PM

Can’t read through all the posts, but here is Rep Ethridge’s statement:

“I have seen the video posted on several blogs. I deeply and profoundly regret my reaction and I apologize to all involved. Throughout my many years of service to the people of North Carolina, I have always tried to treat people from all viewpoints with respect. No matter how intrusive and partisan our politics can become, this does not justify a poor response. I have and I will always work to promote a civil public discourse.”

Matticus Finch on June 14, 2010 at 12:55 PM

I’m sure it’s been mentioned, I just don’t have time to surf all of the comments…Imagine the roles reversed and the outcome. You can almost taste the headline some libtard reporter would write: “Hostile Teabagger Mauls Distinguised Congressman”.

Fortunately, it played out as “Pantie-wearing Congressman Assaults Innocent Student Reporter”.

NumberTwo on June 14, 2010 at 12:55 PM

Isn’t this twice in one week where a member of the right has been assaulted ? First, there was that guy punched in the face in front of his wife—who got pushed, and now a Congressman punk who should be behind bars for assault and battery.

real classy Dems, prepare to lose and lose big—

ted c on June 14, 2010 at 12:57 PM

Please, for the love of all that’s holy, if you’re going to release a video like this then either leave out the narrative, put it all at the beginning, or supply the unedited video along with it.

I posted this at a mostly liberal forum and the first thing they did was leap on the “It was edited! What did they leave out?” defense.

Benaiah on June 14, 2010 at 12:59 PM

Dave Rywall on June 14, 2010 at 12:53 PM

Sorry, I misunderstood you original post, I didn’t see that you were quoting another commenter.

Cindy Munford on June 14, 2010 at 1:00 PM

ted c on June 14, 2010 at 12:57 PM

Are we even sure the kid was a right leaner? Before he was assaulted, I mean.

Cindy Munford on June 14, 2010 at 1:02 PM

Can’t read through all the posts, but here is Rep Ethridge’s statement:

Matticus Finch on June 14, 2010 at 12:55 PM

Reads like Helen Thomas’s statement…lame.

PatriotRider on June 14, 2010 at 1:04 PM

The leftwing loonies are so paranoid they can’t even be civil anymore. Normally they love having a camera shoved into their face because they love watching themselves on TV.
But this guy has watched his favorite “ACORN” group take a fall and he see’s how Obama is plummeting from his meteoric, undeserved rise. Now he is panicking and in his panic he does something much worse than just make a stupid statement.
Bye Congressman, you need to rest now.

SgtRed on June 14, 2010 at 1:04 PM

Are we even sure the kid was a right leaner? Before he was assaulted, I mean.

Cindy Munford on June 14, 2010 at 1:02 PM

i guess I’m assuming, I really don’t know now that you mention it.

ted c on June 14, 2010 at 1:06 PM

Rep. Etheridge needs to spend some time in jail contemplating the consequences of his crime, but the truth is that this assault is probably only another drop in the bucket of his guilty conscience.

FloatingRock on June 14, 2010 at 1:07 PM

I look forward to this guy, and about 200+ other Dems heading off to the Home for the Former Congressmen here soon.

ted c on June 14, 2010 at 1:07 PM

ted c on June 14, 2010 at 1:06 PM

Not to worry, if he is a conservative, we will know more about him before the end of the day. Do you think he files taxes yet?

Cindy Munford on June 14, 2010 at 1:08 PM

Seriously, come hell or high water, this POS needs to be thrown out in Nov. I’m confident the good people of NC will see to getting the job done, and this a$$hat will be out of a job, banished, and forgotten.

NumberTwo on June 14, 2010 at 1:09 PM

What I do not understand is why the only response to this is trying to spread the video and make it “viral”.

Sure, that will get the word out as to the level of scumbag this waste of taxpayers money is, but why didn’t he fight back? Some one grabs you, and won’t let go and it’s being filmed…..you punch him. You DEFEND yourself. And at the very least, after this occurred he should have gotten a cop and pressed assault charges.

Show some courage and go after this guy to the fullest extent of the law

WE ARE A NATION OF LAWS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Opposite Day on June 14, 2010 at 1:19 PM

This stuff about the kid refusing to give his name is such a red herring. Granted, if you don’t identify yourself up front you are less likely to get a cooperative interview. But 90% of us, once approached in a physically menacing manner by someone demanding to know, “WHO ARE YOU?” and then being mandhandled by same, would rightly refuse to give out any personal information to our assailant.

Either the Congressman has a predisposition to violence, or else he has been pushed to the breaking point by the strain of viewing the inquisitive public as a hostile enemy. Either way, he has no rightful place in Congress and it is time for him to go home.

Chuckles3 on June 14, 2010 at 1:20 PM

Cindy Munford on June 14, 2010 at 1:08 PM

Although this little confab appears similar to the confrontational sidewalk stuff that Jason Mattera does, it is really, really concerning that this Dem manhandled that kid–and he appears to be just that, a kid. If I was his father, that congressmen would have a real problem on his hands.

ted c on June 14, 2010 at 1:20 PM

maybe this congressman thinks he has a right to know who this kid is, however, that does not give him a right to lay one finger on him. He couldn’t stop and answer a question? Whatsa matter congressman, stress of getting your a$$ beat in an election got your tongue?

ted c on June 14, 2010 at 1:22 PM

Hmmmm.

@ reaganaut

“Thanks, I’m out a nickel now.”

That’s ok. It’s only worth a penny.

memomachine on June 14, 2010 at 1:22 PM

Etheridge’s opponent Renee Ellmers’ campaign might get some advertising mileage out of this one (suggested slogan: “I’ll focus my swings on knocking out the debt instead of my constituents”):

from doug powers post at michellemalkin.com

ted c on June 14, 2010 at 1:23 PM

Are there any polls? RealClearPolitics has NC2 listed as a safe dem district this year…

Firefly_76 on June 14, 2010 at 1:26 PM

Well it looks like another +1 in the R column come November.

LCT688 on June 14, 2010 at 1:27 PM

Renee Ellmers for Congress Committee

——————————————————————————–

Thank you for your donation of $10.00

CHA–ching!

donate to http://reneeforcongress.com/

go—fight—WIN!

ted c on June 14, 2010 at 1:29 PM

can someone get in Harry Reid’s face with a camera? He likes to box I hear..

juuuust kidding….

ted c on June 14, 2010 at 1:31 PM

he was just looking for someone’s “ass to kick”….. might’ve heard it somewhere before…?

ted c on June 14, 2010 at 1:33 PM

There’s something fowl in the air; perhaps chickens, coming home to roost?

hillbillyjim on June 14, 2010 at 1:35 PM

ted c on June 14, 2010 at 1:20 PM

Yep, I thought “No comment” was the first lesson learned by members of Congress. We will know if the Left has gotten smarter if they don’t spread this kids life out in the media.

Cindy Munford on June 14, 2010 at 1:36 PM