Video: Rep. Etheridge assaults student on street; Update: Video restored; Update: YouTube didn’t pull video

posted at 9:30 am on June 14, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Meet Congressman Bob Etheridge, Democrat from North Carolina’s Second CD. Rep. Etheridge doesn’t much like people asking him whether he supports Barack Obama’s agenda, as a student camera crew on the street discovered when asking this elected official about his political positions. Etheridge interrupts his journey to a fundraiser thrown by Nancy Pelosi to assault the young reporter, first by grabbing the hand that holds the microphone and then by horse-collaring him, all the while demanding, “Who are you? I have a right to know who you are.” Big Government reports (via Power Line):

Expect more of this. A hard, progressive left captured the Democrat majority in Congress and forced them to enact a fantasy grab-bag of legislation that is increasingly unpopular with the American public. We’re on the cusp of a deeper recession, millions of unemployed Americans have no prospect for work, taxes are about to spike higher and we’ve maxed out the national credit card. The Democrats were given a chance to run government and they’ve only succeeded in running it into the ground. …

Fortunately, Rep. Etheridge isn’t one of those gerry-mandered political welfare queens. According to the Cook Report, his district is an R+2 district.  He has a credible opponent. Check her out here.

Let’s recap what we saw on this video. A sitting Congressman–a presumed living extension of James Madison and other founding fathers–was asked on a public street whether he supported the President’s agenda. His response was to hit away a video camera and assault a student. The age of Pericles this ain’t.

His opponent is Renee Ellmers, who works in the health-care industry and is a staunch opponent of ObamaCare, opposes the bailouts and Obamanomics, is pro-life, wants to try terrorists in military courts, and demands immigration enforcement.  It doesn’t appear that Ellmers is a big fan of assaulting students on the street, either.  Perhaps this R+2 district might be ready to exchange their current Congressman for someone who understands the proper relationship between elected officials and their constituents — and the laws regarding assault and battery.

Update: YouTube pulled the video, apparently, but The Right Scoop has it up at Eyeblast, which I’ve embedded here.

Update II: I’ve uploaded it to my Dailymotion account to get a cleaner look:

Update III: I received a note from Breitbart TV noting that YouTube didn’t pull the video; Breitbart pulled it because it spotted an error in one of the titles.  The new video, once again at YouTube, can be seen here:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Well, now we know what “crossing the line” in interviews are…asking if they support Obama’s agenda is a question that should not be asked of any democrat.
I think that may be the bigger story, the dems are hiding from Obama, they want nothing to do with Obama.
If they thought their support of his agenda was so helpful to America, why are they hiding from it? In fact attacking people who even ask a question about it.
Is this the “new agenda” to attack anyone who suggests they are supportive of an agenda that has damaged America?

right2bright on June 14, 2010 at 10:41 AM

Assault to me has always meant punched, or physically injured.

tflst5 on June 14, 2010 at 10:33 AM

Really? Walk into District Court and do it to the judge. See what he calls it on the charge sheet.

jaime on June 14, 2010 at 10:41 AM

Assault to me has always meant punched, or physically injured. …

tflst5 on June 14, 2010 at 10:33 AM

“Assault” does not even require physical contact, merely the threat. What you’re describing (and what the (mis)Reprentative could face charges for in addition to assault) is “battery.”

MassVictim on June 14, 2010 at 10:41 AM

I just made a donation to Renee Ellmers. Time for a money bomb.

Jocundus on June 14, 2010 at 10:43 AM

The kid should have introduced him self first thing,

forest on June 14, 2010 at 9:55 AM

Sorry. That’s just asinine. By that standard, I should go off on the next person who asks me for spare change downtown.

Really people…!

Ragspierre on June 14, 2010 at 10:43 AM

“get in your neighbors faces”

notagool on June 14, 2010 at 10:44 AM

Famous last words from Bob “Hey, let’s print another $50 billion!” Etheridge:

For nearly a decade, our nation saw excessive spending almost double our nation’s debt from $5.7 trillion to $10.6 trillion in 2009. The New Dem Budget Discipline Working Group is tasked with identifying solutions to shrink the debt and balance the federal government’s checkbook. Building on the New Dems long-standing support for “pay-as-you-go” policies, the Working Group will develop creative solutions to reduce the deficit and national debt while also identifying opportunities to streamline existing Federal programs to ensure taxpayer dollars are being invested wisely and effectively.

“The New Dems are committed to putting an end to the excessive spending habits of the last decade,” said New Dem Leadership. “Thank you to Reps. Etheridge and Foster for spearheading this effort to reign in Federal spending and develop creative solutions that will balance the Federal government’s checkbook.”

Buy Danish on June 14, 2010 at 10:45 AM

What this means is that Fox will get more viewers for showing this, and CNN and MSNBC and others less…
Beck and Rush, more listeners, and the libs less…
Libs don’t get it, ignoring a story does not make it go away, and you make less money…

right2bright on June 14, 2010 at 10:45 AM

As I said before, this was BOTH civil and criminal assault AND battery in most states.

The Congressslug should be sued, censured from the floor, and charged criminally.

Then shot…

Ragspierre on June 14, 2010 at 10:45 AM

Obviously, the Congressman is mentally ill.

Shiny_Tiara on June 14, 2010 at 10:45 AM

Assault to me has always meant punched, or physically injured. Lightest case would be what Coakley’s associate did to that reporter a few months ago. I dislike it being used to describe grabbing the arm or a push – basically what i saw in this video. Calling this assault is a bit of a stretch in my mind. If your riding this bandwagon don’t complain the next time a liberal hippie rushes a Republican congressman with a camera and gets “assaulted”. Common sense would say that this turns into nothing.

tflst5 on June 14, 2010 at 10:33 AM

The legal definition of assault can mean includes physical contact without consent.

There are exceptions, but from watching the video I can say none of those apply.

Asher on June 14, 2010 at 10:46 AM

jaime on June 14, 2010 at 10:41 AM

Exactly, next time a policeman asks for your license, grab his wrist and ask him his name…

right2bright on June 14, 2010 at 10:46 AM

Press charges and deep 6 his campaign!

WisCon on June 14, 2010 at 10:48 AM

Leave this scumbag a little love on his Facebook page.

BrianA on June 14, 2010 at 10:32 AM

I did, thanks! Elitist arrogant politicians are going to find themselves in the unemployment lines soon.

scalleywag on June 14, 2010 at 10:48 AM

“Who are you? Who are you? Who are you?”

I get it!
It’s an audition for the WHO come back tour.

mechkiller_k on June 14, 2010 at 10:49 AM

Etheridge has always been a jackass, I live the next district over with yet another one – Brad Miller.

PJ Emeritus on June 14, 2010 at 10:49 AM

Building on the New Dems long-standing support in theory, but disregard in practice, for “pay-as-you-go” policies …

Buy Danish on June 14, 2010 at 10:45 AM

Let’s give credit where credit is due.

ya2daup on June 14, 2010 at 10:50 AM

Assault to me has always meant punched, or physically injured. …

tflst5 on June 14, 2010 at 10:33 AM

That’s an outdated definition. Even spitting on/at some one is now assault.

oldleprechaun on June 14, 2010 at 10:52 AM

Wait, aren’t these the same people who say Arizona residents shouldn’t have to identify themselves to the police?

DaMav on June 14, 2010 at 10:53 AM

I am sure he is all for health care. He is a tobacco farmer.

seven on June 14, 2010 at 10:53 AM

I can honestly say that after asking him politely a couple of times to let go of me and if he still didn’t, I would have tuned him up. What arrogance.

godhelpus on June 14, 2010 at 10:53 AM

Get in their faces.

Dude is just lucky he has a D after his name instead of an R. So you know, no harm no foul. It’ll be up to the people in his district to fire his sorry ass.

holygoat on June 14, 2010 at 10:53 AM

Beauty… So glad to see these liberals expose themselves for what they really are and what they believe in.

Hope you had fun during your campaign, cause your done!

(Bonus that he was headed for a fundraiser thrown by Pelosi)

WhoU4 on June 14, 2010 at 10:53 AM

I was wrong. Bragg and Pope are in district 7 by looking at a different map.

My bad.

hawkdriver on June 14, 2010 at 10:54 AM

“I have a right to know your name” You have a right to ask. It ends there. If I am a Mexican, you don’t even have a right to ponder on either my name or status as a lib.

seven on June 14, 2010 at 10:54 AM

BLOODY PEASANTS!

shick on June 14, 2010 at 10:55 AM

This is the good news…NC is going further and further towards Republicans after decades and decades of being dem.
This does nothing but help…

right2bright on June 14, 2010 at 10:56 AM

“Do you fully support the Obama adgenda?”

This Democrat didn’t like being asked a simple question so he attacks the student? WOW! I hope the students press charges against Etheridge.

TN Mom on June 14, 2010 at 10:57 AM

“Can mean includes”….bleh. Need coffee.

Asher on June 14, 2010 at 10:58 AM

The kid should have introduced him self first thing,

forest on June 14, 2010 at 9:55 AM

Really people…!

Ragspierre on June 14, 2010 at 10:43 AM

It’s standard practice for journalists and serious bloggers and citizen journalists. If what the youths were doing wasn’t journalism, some other kind of introduction would have been appropriate – if they wanted an answer. Even Mattera introduces himself before lighting into these clowns.

But, again, the congressman’s reaction was totally inappropriate and likely criminal, but if these youths want answers, they should introduce themselves.

forest on June 14, 2010 at 10:59 AM

Now, I don’t know, not having been there and not seeing all the facts but I think it’s fair to say, number one, any of us would be pretty angry; number two, that the student acted stupidly.

pain train on June 14, 2010 at 11:00 AM

Heeheee….comment from his FB page:

Sir,

I am a voter in your district, and given the current job market and the fact that you will soon be unemployed, you might want to get a jump on your upcoming job hunt. Might I suggest the following links…

Sincerely,
Jason Wallace
2nd District, North Carolina

hoosiermama on June 14, 2010 at 11:01 AM

All his phone are busy —- hhmmm.

wheels on June 14, 2010 at 11:02 AM

pain train: “…number one, any of us would be pretty angry; number two, that the student acted stupidly.”

WTF????????????

Did you WATCH the video? The student didn’t accost the Congressman, didn’t rush him, didn’t even shout…he simply asked a question, and had the AUDACITY to have a camera in his hand.

Justrand on June 14, 2010 at 11:03 AM

This GOTCHA stuff is so old already. The video is funny more than anything else. I’m laughing at both of them.

Of course he supports Obama, why ask him? Get a tip that he was a hothead? So, this is a setup? Expect these questions.

If you think the guy with the mic is going to get any sympathy from the general public, you are wrong. People hate arrogant media. They despise arrogant kids too. They will just say the kid was looking for trouble, and he got it.

And, the pol is a DEM. The fact the Youtube yanked the video already shows you how it will play in the media. If it were a Repub it would be running on CNN already. You guys never learn.

Bottom line, this doesn’t help anyone much at all.

Moesart on June 14, 2010 at 10:36 AM

Yeah, it’s hilarious. Let me guess, you probably think a murder victim was in the wrong place at the wrong time? Or “she asked for it”?

They asked a simple question “Do you support Obamacare?” and the Congressman assaulted them. He should’ve walked away or said, “Yes we can!” or “Make an appointment”, but no he went for the vice grip. The Congressman controls his actions regardless of what the two menacing, intimidating college kids half his size ask him with a flip cam. Seriously. Go over to Mediate and tag team with Hall. He needs some help with twisted logic.

conservative pilgrim on June 14, 2010 at 11:03 AM

How much was the congressman’s bail? What, he wasn’t even arrested. Too bad it wasn’t a senior citizen who questioned him, it would have been upgraded to a hate crime.

Kissmygrits on June 14, 2010 at 11:04 AM

Justrand on June 14, 2010 at 11:03 AM

“student acted stupidly” should’ve been your first sarc-clue.

hoosiermama on June 14, 2010 at 11:04 AM

Look…I’m as conservative as they come, but I think the kid should have provided his name. The congressman obviously wigged out in an inappropriate way, but if someone approached me out of nowhere on the sidewalk, started taping me and pointedly ignored my requests to identify themselves, I, too, would have been upset. Granted, I wouldn’t have grabbed the guy…especially with a camera recording the whole exchange!

mid_aged_man on June 14, 2010 at 11:04 AM

The strong arm tactics used by Rep. Etheridge are exactly what the government has been doing to us everyday under the Obama administration. While the student received the physical abuse, we have all been slapped around by the arrogance of a government gone wild.

mobydutch on June 14, 2010 at 11:06 AM

they should introduce themselves.

forest on June 14, 2010 at 10:59 AM

They did introduce themselves…as student reporters, these are kids, then a very generic question “Do you support Obama’s agenda”, then they were attacked.
You don’t give a person assaulting you your name, address, telephone number…
Not all reporters identify themselves by name at the outset…you have never seen a microphone placed in front of a politician then a question asked, without a formal introduction? You haven’t? Let me know and I will dig up a few hundred thousand for you to look at…

right2bright on June 14, 2010 at 11:07 AM

A camera is the biggest weapon against the leftie regime.

seven on June 14, 2010 at 11:08 AM

…but if someone approached me out of nowhere on the sidewalk, started taping me and pointedly ignored my requests to identify themselves, I, too, would have been upset. …

mid_aged_man on June 14, 2010 at 11:04 AM

Even if you knew what you were getting into by running for federal public office?

MassVictim on June 14, 2010 at 11:08 AM

mid_aged_man on June 14, 2010 at 11:04 AM

He’s a congressman, people do that all the time, it’s his job, that is what he is paid to do…he could have just said “contact my office for an appointment, no comment”…

right2bright on June 14, 2010 at 11:09 AM

The kid should have introduced him self first thing,
forest on June 14, 2010 at 9:55 AM

Of course. And he’s also required to show a copy of his Journalist’s License before he can speak to a public official on a public sidewalk.

Otherwise he gets roughed up. That used to only be standard operating procedure in Chicago. But now it’s going nationwide. Get with the program.

BTW,was Etheridge drunk or is does he always talk like that?

logis on June 14, 2010 at 11:10 AM

Ed,

Watch the video and you’ll see that the congressman stole the student’s cell phone. He snatched it from the students hand when he grabs him. Notice it is still in Etheridge’s hand when he walks off.

TN Mom on June 14, 2010 at 11:10 AM

mid_aged_man on June 14, 2010 at 11:04 AM

The kid has an excuse–kid’s do stupid things. Etheridge was faced with a situation that required a politically savvy response.

Instead, he created a career defining moment.

/world’s smallest violin

ElectricPhase on June 14, 2010 at 11:11 AM

I thought the Tea Party members were the violent ones??

PatriotRider on June 14, 2010 at 11:11 AM

mid_aged_man on June 14, 2010 at 11:04 AM

So you’d assault some college kid? Who approached you in your official position as a Congress member? Asking a political question?

mankai on June 14, 2010 at 11:12 AM

Well, uh….he was asking for it! He was wearing high heels and a short skirt!

Good Solid B-Plus on June 14, 2010 at 11:12 AM

right2bright on June 14, 2010 at 11:07 AM I agree!!! The young man (not a kid) politely addressed the jerk, and he did not have to provide his name. The jerk is NOT a policeman, just another leach on the taxpayer rolls.

mobydutch on June 14, 2010 at 11:12 AM

Article VI: “…but no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States.”

MassVictim on June 14, 2010 at 11:13 AM

‘Who-a-you’ – Etheridge.
‘Have you met my left hook?’ – student.

TinMan13 on June 14, 2010 at 11:13 AM

MassVictim on June 14, 2010 at 11:13 AM

Sorry, folks. Wrong thread. *blush*

MassVictim on June 14, 2010 at 11:14 AM

Uh, that’s dumb. Really.

He didn’t. That’s why it is funny. He knows two kids are setting him up and he fell for it anyway. Then, the kid doesn’t know what to do. He thought he was all Mike Wallace and then he’s like HELP.

It’s all funny.

Moesart on June 14, 2010 at 11:15 AM

The Left is out in force, blaming the STUDENT, and apologizing for the Congressman. It is appalling!

IF the young man was in ragged clothes, was older, rushed at the Congressman, or even shouted ANYTHING even mildly offensive at him then MAYBE I could defend this ass-clown.

But the young man:
- is young!
- is in a suit
- waits for the Congressman to pass HIM
- asks his question in a normal tone of voice to get attention (i.e. he doesn’t SCREAM at him)
- doesn’t get violent even when treated violently

There is ZERO excuse for this Ass-Hat CongressCritter. NONE.

And no excuse for those making excuses for him. It wasn’t a DARK STREET or ALLEY…there wasn’t a MOB. If was a couple YOUNG people with [gasp!] cameras!

Justrand on June 14, 2010 at 11:16 AM

mid_aged_man on June 14, 2010 at 11:04 AM

Irrelevant. If they had given their names and then he attacked them in the exact same manner, does that excuse his actions?

It is not a crime to refuse to identify yourself to someone who is assaulting you. All he had to do was say “no comment” and keep walking.

Asher on June 14, 2010 at 11:19 AM

Throw theft and public drunkenness into the charges, too.

Ragspierre on June 14, 2010 at 11:19 AM

I thought Obama adviced his base (including young students) to ‘get in their face’?

It is ‘government sanctioned’ human rights, or something.

Sir Napsalot on June 14, 2010 at 11:22 AM

If you see anything at all about this beyond the righty web and pol sites, it will be a discussion about gotcha media and citizen activists starting trouble or something.

Also, why is it so hard to say I am ______ from ______? You want to be taken seriously, present yourself seriously. The kid blew it.

Moesart on June 14, 2010 at 11:22 AM

forest on June 14, 2010 at 10:59 AM

“Son, this is not how I conduct interviews. If you are serious about getting some comments on the record here is my card, call my office, and we can set up an interview. Thanks, have a great day and please remember to vote in November. Although, I feel silly saying that as it seems you are a civic-minded young man and will be doing that anyway. Good luck with your project, I look forward to seeing you in my office.”

alexwest on June 14, 2010 at 11:23 AM

If this guy has a town hall meeting this summer, a whole bunch of folks should show up with T-shirts and signs that say “Who are you? I have a right to know.”

By the way, because he grabbed the student and refused to let go after repeated requests to do so, it’s in all likelihood both an assault and a battery.

Doodad Pro on June 14, 2010 at 11:25 AM

Your moral compass is past broken. Good grief, what would you not apologize away…????

Ragspierre on June 14, 2010 at 11:25 AM

WTF. Why isn’t this kid pressing charges?

ButterflyDragon on June 14, 2010 at 11:26 AM

Or you could just wrassle the kid on camera for asking the most softball of political questions.

I am sure the media and Hot Airians would be just a critical of the journalist and just as forgiving the politician if it was, say – Sarah Palin?

Or would it be another example of her inexperience and craziness?

alexwest on June 14, 2010 at 11:26 AM

So how does this get pulled from YouTube? What TOU or other “voilation” caused them to yank it? I know they are a private company and can not host anything they care to, but it seems videos that put Dems/libs/progs in a bad light are subject to pull first and ask questions (maybe) later. Almost like they specifically want to game the news cycle.

Probably worth a good investigative report…

skoot65 on June 14, 2010 at 11:26 AM

Obviously, the Congressman is mentally ill.

Shiny_Tiara on June 14, 2010 at 10:45 AM

The sun rises in the east.
Water is wet.
Hot thinks will burn you.

barnone on June 14, 2010 at 11:26 AM

Mankai…
What about, “The congressman obviously wigged out in an inappropriate way…” or “Granted, I wouldn’t have grabbed the guy…” did you not understand?

I’m pretty sure that most journalists today introduce themselves (As in..Mike Smith, Kansas City Star, Do you think that ….?)

mid_aged_man on June 14, 2010 at 11:27 AM

My first impression of the Congressman was that if it was a female student asking questions, he’d have been blowing sweet nothings in her ear, but after the big hug, the male student is lucky the Congressman didn’t start groping around in his pants …

Your first impressions might vary.

Woody

woodcdi on June 14, 2010 at 11:27 AM

>YouTube didn’t pull the video; Breitbart pulled it because it spotted an error in one of the titles

ah. never mind!

That said, there have been similar instances. Worth keeping an eye on.

skoot65 on June 14, 2010 at 11:27 AM

So, the argument is that if you don’t introduce yourself to a US Congressman on the streets of DC, then the Congressman has the right to grab your wrist and grab you around your head until you answer his question? Is that the argument that is being put forward here?

d1carter on June 14, 2010 at 11:28 AM

they should introduce themselves.

forest on June 14, 2010 at 10:59 AM

You don’t give a person assaulting you your name, address, telephone number…

right2bright on June 14, 2010 at 11:07 AM

He introduced himself? I must have missed his name and organization. I thought he just said “congressman” a couple of times.

And again, for everyone who’s overreacting to my suggestion that an introduction was in order, my stance is that if the youths wanted an answer and wanted to be taken seriously at all, they should have introduced themselves properly from the outset – not after the congressman got aggressive – but right from the jump. They are not, and should not be required to introduce themselves, (and shouldn’t need a license as someone straw-manned me) but if they don’t introduce themselves up front, they are unlikely to get any answers to their questions. Congressmen are free to say “no comment” to random people who ask questions, and that’s what this clown should have done.

And again, just to be clear, the congressman was an idiot and it was his fault and he should probably get arrested. I’m just offering some advice if these guys want to be taken seriously and get anywhere with questions to public figures. Like I said before, even Mattera introduces himself, and often gets comments because of it.

forest on June 14, 2010 at 11:28 AM

I’m stuck at work… is this getting ANY coverage other than by Fox News?

cannonball on June 14, 2010 at 11:28 AM

Moesart on June 14, 2010 at 11:22 AM

You seem to think the MSM would have given this a fair shake if the boys had given their names before asking their question. You’d be wrong…the narrative would have been the same.

And what happened, happened. The congressman put his hands on them the second they asked him a reasonable, if open ended, question. It appeared to me that a couple of students doing an assignment didn’t expect to be assaulted by a ‘statesman’ and were frightened.

Asher on June 14, 2010 at 11:28 AM

Knee to the nuts. Problem solved.

lorien1973 on June 14, 2010 at 11:29 AM

Oh, I get it! This is just how people greet each other in North Carolina! Duly noted.

alexwest on June 14, 2010 at 11:29 AM

mid_aged_man on June 14, 2010 at 11:04 AM

Are you a Congressman? Why does it matter if the kid didn’t give his name…he’s asking a public servant a question. The Congressman works for the people, the people don’t work for the Congressman.

ladyingray on June 14, 2010 at 11:31 AM

This makes a nice campaign commercial…

PatriotRider on June 14, 2010 at 11:32 AM

The kid blew it.

Moesart on June 14, 2010 at 11:22 AM

Maybe. But the Representative, with much greater stature and much more at stake, blew it a lot worse.

MassVictim on June 14, 2010 at 11:32 AM

Shouldn’t someone call the DC police and have Rep. Etheridge arrested?

Cinematicfilm on June 14, 2010 at 11:33 AM

Again, under the YouTube comments, a guy said it perfectly:

‘Democrats are just criminals. Violent ones, at that.’

That ‘man’ should’ve immediately had a warrant for battery and menacing sworn out for his arrest by every police agency in the area. They should’ve hunted him down like the animal he is, put him at gunpoint, locked him down and hauled him off like the common criminal he is. I’m listening to the Glenn Beck show, right now, and they pointed out that the guy was instantly combative and instantly hostile toward these guys, with no real provocation.

This public battery is precisely why I’m into wing chun and chin-na kung fu, and would pass that on to my kids. When you, or your kids, are assaulted by democrats (the party of violence against minorities, the Ku Klux Klan, assassination and assaults with intent to commit murder of Republicans, rebellion and terrorism against the United States gov’t, lynching, civil and Constitutional rights deprivation, etc.), there’s nothing like MMA (Mixed Martial Arts).

I don’t really see this story taking off, except for outlets like Conservative talk radio (Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, Mark Levin, Glenn Beck, etc.) and FOXNews. Just imagine if this had been crimes committed by someone like Mike Pence.

James Inhofe.

James DeMint.

Paul Ryan.

Marco Rubio.

Peter Hoekstra.

Thaddeus McCotter.

The 24/7 news/blog cycle that the Dalai Obama cries about on national TV every time he’s found guilty of wrongdoing and/or incompetence wouldn’t be long enough for all the LEC (Liberal Entertainment Complex) coverage and televised demands for those people to be tarred, feathered and run out on a rail.

We got Helen Thomas; now it’s time to get this slimy scumbag and treat him just like they would treat a Republican (like Trent Lott, for instance).

Virus-X on June 14, 2010 at 11:34 AM

“Hi, I’m Joe Student from the U of Whatever, do you support the Obama agenda?”

Hell, I could say that and I’m a few years removed from the usual college age demographic. The young man could just as easily have said he is Lt. Worff from Kronos, the reaction of Etheridge would probably have been the same.

Bishop on June 14, 2010 at 11:34 AM

Uh, that’s dumb. Really.

Uh-huh. Let’s review your comments, shall we?

That’s equivalent to “wrong place, wrong time,” or “she asked for it.” The kids were dressed well, had mics and cameras, and approached the Congressman (for review: elected representative of the people paid on the people’s dime) and asked a question. That’s arrogant? How about that’s journalism? Asking a politician a question is part of a politician’s job, the norm, a daily occurrence. Apparently, having class and poise for a Democrat is not.

Because when I’m planning on asking a politician a question, I’m certainly having an exit strategy for assault and battery.

It’s all funny.

Moesart on June 14, 2010 at 11:15 AM

Hilarious. Like I said earlier, Hall needs some help on his twisted logic at Mediate, you should consider tag teaming.

conservative pilgrim on June 14, 2010 at 11:37 AM

Remember North Carolina, Congressman Etheridge supports the Presidential commission for deficit reduction:

Watching this Presidential commission discuss strategies for deficit reduction is like watching a pack of gluttons talk about getting in shape while they prowl up and down a buffet table. They linger over the deep-fried mortgage interest deduction caps, dip their spoons into the rich chocolate of the VAT tax, and lick their lips as they wait for the expired Bush tax cuts to pop out of the oven. They end up perched on the edge of creaking chairs, tittering at the wonderfully naughty idea of devouring everyone’s 401k plans for dessert. It’s a nauseating spectacle that will only end when they’re escorted from the restaurant by angry voters.

Yeah, I’m angry. Not quite Congressman Etheridge angry, but I also did not put two shots of bourbon in my coffee this morning. Then again, I am not a mean drunk.

Mr. Joe on June 14, 2010 at 11:37 AM

Here’s how to do it to get a response. It includes an introduction and a further softening up with “from Brooklyn”.

The non-introduction in the Ethridge case got one heck of a reaction, just sayin’ though, if you want an answer from a public figure, try introducing yourself from the top.

forest on June 14, 2010 at 11:39 AM

Anybody, I mean anybody who would makes excuses for this Congressman’s behavior is a scumbag themselves; period, end of story.

If this man represented my party, I would be demanding his resignation. I would not be making excuses for him.

Keemo on June 14, 2010 at 11:39 AM

mid_aged_man on June 14, 2010 at 11:04 AM

Are you an elected official with constituents you feel you should communicate with? A US Congressman is a “public figure”. In fact the most public of public figures. Being asked questions walking down the street is what the job actually entails.

ButterflyDragon on June 14, 2010 at 11:39 AM

Tommy Christopher says:
June 14, 2010 at 11:02 am

From this clip, there’s no way to tell what really happened because it is so heavily edited. Did the interviewer spit on Etheridge? Try to hit him? No way this can be judged an “assault” just from this clip.

As for ambush interviewing, even Jason Mattera has enough common sense to identify himself, the merest prerequisite to asking someone on the street a question on camera.

The full video is supposedly available at Eyeblast, but the traffic appears to have crashed them.

Check this out from Mediate! I guess spitting is the new meme! That must have been quite the editing job.

Cindy Munford on June 14, 2010 at 11:40 AM

Lefty trolls consider one more time the circumstances (it won’t matter to you, since you wouldn’t care if he shot the kid…but try)

- it is BROAD DAYLIGHT on a well-traveled street (i.e. the Congressman could NOT feel threatened by the location or time)
- the young man is well dressed (a suit) and doesn’t rush him or accost him in any way. (i.e. the Congressman could NOT feel threatened by the person or their approach to him)
- the Congressman could have walked away at any time…NO ONE blocked his path at any time…ever
- Student doesn’t have a bull-horn, and doesn’t SCREECH the question…he doesn’t have to: the Congressman comes up to HIM and demands to know “Who are you?”
- the Congressman SLAPS the student hand that is holding the camera
- the Congressman GRABS the student, who then asks him to release him, and then PLEADS with him to do…whereupon the Congressman damn hear puts him in a headlock

and yes, trolls, if this was a Republican I would be calling for him to RESIGN immediately!

Justrand on June 14, 2010 at 11:40 AM

mid_aged_man on June 14, 2010 at 11:27 AM

He’s a fairly tame college kid. I work at a large university and I’d have handled this better.

There are no excuses here, no matter how many caveats you want to add.

mankai on June 14, 2010 at 11:41 AM

This needs to be “a moment” for to turn this congressman’s disgraceful action. I have heard the media say that Harry Reids senate race is essentially a national election. We need to make this congressman’s disgraceful actions a “national moment”

camtheman7 on June 14, 2010 at 11:41 AM

omit “for” in my post

camtheman7 on June 14, 2010 at 11:42 AM

Ed,

TN Mom on June 14, 2010 at 11:10 AM

Wow. Great catch!

Yet another crime…now why the hell hasn’t this kid pressed charges yet?

IrishEi on June 14, 2010 at 11:45 AM

Wow. A lot of morons on the site today.

donkichi on June 14, 2010 at 11:49 AM

Any prosecutor (was this in DC?) should press charges.

This was criminal. Period.

The kidSSS there should file a civil suit, too.

Ragspierre on June 14, 2010 at 11:51 AM

This makes a nice campaign commercial…
PatriotRider on June 14, 2010 at 11:32 AM

That’s why the liberals are once again all screaming at the tops of their lungs that this is “irrelevant.” Because they know that they can show this video to normal people, who pay taxes, and we’ll all agree with the barking moonbats that the “poor helpless Congressman” was treated “unfairly.”

logis on June 14, 2010 at 11:51 AM

Mister President, Congressman Etheridge would like a few minutes with you. He says he can tell you whose ass to kick.

Christien on June 14, 2010 at 11:52 AM

That my friends was the most satisfying $250 donation I have ever given to a candidate. Makes me want to sit back and light up a cigarette. I hope she kicks his ass all over that district.

Jdripper on June 14, 2010 at 11:52 AM