Video: Alabama campaign ad of the day

posted at 4:52 pm on June 14, 2010 by Allahpundit

Take two from Rick Barber, whom you might remember from the “no mosque at Ground Zero” spot just before the Republican primary. Politico’s doing some heavy breathing over this one, predictably, but it has the same saving grace as almost every other viral Alabama ad of this election cycle: It’s super-campy. Just watch RB emote during that “tea tax” line. He’s got the same half-serious, half-winking over-the-top bravado as the now immortal Dale Peterson had when he famously denounced those who give not a rip about Alabama. How do you deliver that line to a man in a colonial wig without busting up laughing? You don’t, I think. Which is why I’d kill to see the outtakes.

I’m hoping against hope to see Lincoln turn up eventually in one of these tea-party ads, but needless to say, it ain’t going to be in one aimed at Alabamans. Something for the surging New York tea-party movement to think about, perhaps. Exit question: Are we really not going to see anyone rope a calf or brand a steer in an Alabama ad? Not once?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

fastestslug on June 14, 2010 at 7:56 PM

When your prediction DOESN’T happen…
Might I ask what kind of barbeque sauce you like?

jerrytbg on June 14, 2010 at 8:15 PM

BL@KBIRD on June 14, 2010 at 8:04 PM

Nah…just got a wedgey…;)

jerrytbg on June 14, 2010 at 8:17 PM

Nothing, you just described my family. Great people, bad politics.

The Race Card on June 14, 2010 at 6:30 PM

Isn’t that what a lot of progressives refer to as “self-loathing?” You seem to spend a lot of time attacking your own roots, apparently…

cs89 on June 14, 2010 at 8:18 PM

When your prediction DOESN’T happen…
Might I ask what kind of barbeque sauce you like?

jerrytbg on June 14, 2010 at 8:15 PM

Yeah, the majority of Americans are chit chatting with excitement about over throwing the government as I type this. *eye roll* When my dad(sensible conservative) thinks he’s a loon, that is how kooky this guy is.

fastestslug on June 14, 2010 at 8:24 PM

So…what flavor does your Dad like…
I can be most accommodating…

jerrytbg on June 14, 2010 at 8:28 PM

btw…has Sarah endorsed him yet?

jerrytbg on June 14, 2010 at 8:30 PM

AND, also…Fastestslug….(interesting moniker)…
If you don’t see a little tongue in cheek in this….ahhh
I feel he’s bringing a smidgen of levity to the argument…
Chill out…

jerrytbg on June 14, 2010 at 8:36 PM

but needless to say, it ain’t going to be in one aimed at Alabamans

Damn straight, he violated the constitution more often than he followed it. In discussing the Emancipation Proclamation, William Seward, Lincoln’s secretary of state, commented, “We show our symapathy with slavery by emancipating slaves where we cannot reach them and holding them in bondage where we can set them free.” Lincoln was fully aware of the irony, but he did not want to antagonize the slave states loyal to the Union by setting their slaves free. How’s that for his duplicity?

rrroark on June 14, 2010 at 9:00 PM

Lincoln was a politician so he sorta
kept his word some of the time.

Col.John Wm. Reed on June 14, 2010 at 9:17 PM

Inspiring.

MrLynn on June 14, 2010 at 9:39 PM

I don’t think RB is “half-winking” – I think he’s perfectly serious. And he’s right!

Rosmerta on June 14, 2010 at 11:39 PM

Follow the maker of this commercial at @filmladd on twitter.

jimmy the notable on June 14, 2010 at 11:45 PM

Gather your armies?? We won’t need to, we can take over theirs, most of them are with us already anyway.

Dollayo on June 15, 2010 at 9:08 AM

HEY, what ever happened to the liberal “Coffee Parties”. Do they still exist or are they like Air America?

mechkiller_k on June 15, 2010 at 9:15 AM

Feeding revolutionary fantasies…great for garnering viewers and not much else.

In fact, our armies are already gathered – to prop up theocracies in a couple of godforsaken desert nations halfway ’round the world. So where exactly are the implied ‘armies’ supposed to come from?

Dark-Star on June 15, 2010 at 11:17 AM

That’s better than most ads I’ve seen

Confederate on June 15, 2010 at 1:38 PM

Hay Allahpundit, maybe the historically ignorant such as yourself can use this passage from Lincoln in your political ad…
“I will say, then, that I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of bringing about in any way the social and political equality of the white and black races — that I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of making voters or jurors of negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people; and I will say in addition to this that there is a physical difference between the white and black races from living together on terms of social and political equality. And inasmuch as they cannot so live, while they do remain together there must be the position of superior and inferior, and I as much as any other man, am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race.”
Abraham Lincoln, as cited in “The Collected Works of Abraham Lincoln,” Roy Basler, ed. 1953 New Brunswick, N.J.: Rutgers University Press:

Confederate on June 15, 2010 at 1:43 PM

Hmmm… this thread has been an education of a kind all by itself.

As for the video in question, I have no qualms with it at all. With things going the way that they are, being angry and determined is all par for the course. Crossing the line on the matter of “calling up arms” is a moving target, IMHO, and I hope nobody here seriously means that in a literal sense.

We are light-years away from THAT kind of resolution.

itzWicks on June 15, 2010 at 4:16 PM