South Carolina voter: I voted for Alvin Greene because … his name reminded me of Al Green

posted at 9:39 pm on June 14, 2010 by Allahpundit

It’s as good a theory as any other. Two things here. First, I’m happy to announce that I’ll be a candidate for U.S. Senator from New York this year under my new legal name, Harrison Forde. Second, is Al Green so well known to the public that it’s remotely plausible Alvin Greene could have gotten 59 percent on the strength of his name recognition? I like “Let’s Stay Together” as much as the next guy, but 59 percent?

Two clips for you here, actually. The second is of Alvin Greene’s interview this afternoon with … Mark Levin. (Yes, that Mark Levin.) ML actually goes easy on him, except for a bit of awkwardness at the end where Greene, um, can’t remember Jim DeMint’s name. Exit question: Can we replace this guy with the real Al Green? Click the (second) image to listen.

Update: I’m kicking myself for not having thought of this first: “Vic Rawl should have changed his name to Lou.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Competency tests for voting? Must own property to vote? Must pay taxes to vote? Hell, must be a CITIZEN to vote?

Naw.

SHOW ME THE MONEY !!!

I’m votin for the guy who’ll give me the most bennies and has a name like a pop star !!!

BowHuntingTexas on June 14, 2010 at 10:59 PM

Mark did a great job in this interview by being respectful to this man, unlike some of the other people who have interviewed him. His manner can sometimes be like a pit bull, but he was careful not to shred this man’s dignity. Kudoes for that!

silvernana on June 14, 2010 at 11:00 PM

Dr. Levin is a kind man. He’d have looked terrible should he have destroyed Al Greene.

It seems this Al Greene is a nice enough guy. Misguided, Democrat, and dull, but nice enough. Just as we do not shoot women and children, my estimation of Dr. Levin is more than upheld by his actions this evening.

Great Heavens, I love that guy.

roscopico on June 14, 2010 at 11:10 PM

If the charges stick will they call him Felony Democrat Greene?

TN Mom on June 14, 2010 at 11:21 PM

Seriously, if you’re voting in the SC Dem primary, for Senate candidate, you KNOW you’re just picking “which guy gets to lose” – so why not amuse yourself and pick Al Greene?

An INFORMED Dem primary voter knows his vote for Senate candidate can safely be recreational. It’s the CLUELESS Dem primary voters that thought it would matter.

Less on June 14, 2010 at 11:22 PM

If I ever decide to run for office I’m changing my name to Andy Aardvark and moving to the deep south.

Landslide victory.

fogw on June 14, 2010 at 11:22 PM

Democrat voters – Dumbest voters on the planet

Norwegian on June 14, 2010 at 11:25 PM

Amy Proctor on June 14, 2010 at 10:31 PM

Because everyone voting for the guy who didn’t even campaign knew he was black. If Alvin the Chipmunk was up there, I’m sure everybody who voted for him did it cause they’re furry!

Good point, but I was under the impression that he, according to Greene, did door to door campaigning and had some level of visibility. Like posters with his mug on them?

Amy Proctor on June 14, 2010 at 11:30 PM

Saw his opponent on Olbermann. The guy who lost. Anyway, it’s morphed into a voting machine “conspiracy”. No matter which name was selected, Al Green got the vote. You won’t see the video of this Democrat voter above on Olbie’s show.

Marcus on June 14, 2010 at 11:32 PM

The republican running against Triple J is named…Isaac Hayes.
He seems like a decent conservative btw.

annoyinglittletwerp on June 14, 2010 at 11:45 PM

“Who’s your opponent”

“Incumbent Senator Demint”.

Levin’s first words after the interview had me in tears.

“You know, I’m going to tell you something…(long pause)….there’s something wrong with democracy in the Democratic Party in South Carolina”.

aquaviva on June 14, 2010 at 11:50 PM

New theme song for the Democrats: Take Me To The River

Bigfoot on June 15, 2010 at 12:06 AM

Well, it’s been almost a week and they finally found an actual voter to talk to. That’s a good start, but they are going to need more. Geez, the MSM must be filled with Alvin Greenes for them to take this long.

pedestrian on June 15, 2010 at 12:45 AM

Green is no rocket scientist, but is he really that much dumber than the average Capitol Hill Dem? I mean, I’d listen to him over Maxine Waters, Babs Boxer or Barney Frank anyday.

He keeps it brief. He flummoxes the MFM. What’s not to like?

sulla on June 15, 2010 at 1:21 AM

Coming this summer, Alvin Greene starring in Distinguished Gentleman II.

reaganaut on June 15, 2010 at 1:54 AM

So from the Levin interview we learn that this guy has a BA in Political Science from USC.

Is this a ploy?

Jason Coleman on June 15, 2010 at 1:55 AM

Damn…

Levin

Is

The

Greatest.

trapeze on June 15, 2010 at 3:04 AM

Landslide victory.

fogw on June 14, 2010 at 11:22 PM

Not if I get there and change my name to Aaron Aardvark.

ya2daup on June 15, 2010 at 3:48 AM

Anyway, it’s morphed into a voting machine “conspiracy”.

Marcus on June 14, 2010 at 11:32 PM

Put two voting machines in one room and voila! Voting machine conspiracy! They are such sneaky bastards.

ya2daup on June 15, 2010 at 3:51 AM

And now the hunt is on to find a SC voter who voted for Greene because … “it’s my favorite color”.

ya2daup on June 15, 2010 at 3:53 AM

‘Al Greene’ could be a Jewish guy. Just sayin’…

Anyway, Jon Stewart riffed on this last night and skewered the MSM dolts for suggesting Greene is a Republican plant.

Urban Infidel on June 15, 2010 at 7:00 AM

How many people voted for Obama because of his middle name?

albill on June 15, 2010 at 7:15 AM

How many people voted for Obama because of his middle name?

albill on June 15, 2010 at 7:15 AM

Love it!

manateespirit on June 15, 2010 at 7:23 AM

Conspiracy to commit electoral fraud: An occurrence in American politics when liberals don’t get their way.

angryed on June 15, 2010 at 7:25 AM

How much more proof do you need to finally come to the conclusion that liberalism is a mental illness.

TrickyDick on June 15, 2010 at 8:30 AM

Democrat voters – Dumbest voters on the planet

Norwegian on June 14, 2010 at 11:25 PM

Amen to that…

PatriotRider on June 15, 2010 at 8:43 AM

The left is filled with unserious people like this woman. Alvin Greene and her deserve each other. You reap what you sow.

dave_lantos on June 15, 2010 at 8:46 AM

This is why talking points are used over and over. People hear them and they stick in their brain. They go vote and voila, someone like an Al Greene is nominated.

Kissmygrits on June 15, 2010 at 8:57 AM

I’d rather vote for Shecky Greene.

mankai on June 15, 2010 at 9:05 AM

Well, this would be hard to believe, oh wait, this was a democratic primary with democrat voters… I guess it is very possible.

I remember a girl who voted clinton over bush because he played the sax. LOL

jeffn21 on June 15, 2010 at 9:05 AM

Did she also vote for Johnson?

/ba-dump-bump

greggriffith on June 15, 2010 at 9:48 AM

Democrat voters – Dumbest voters on the planet

Norwegian on June 14, 2010 at 11:25 PM

Has anyone ever done an IQ test on a random sample of Democrat vs. Republican voters?

I don’t think many people voted for John McCain because they expected him to give them money for cars and housing “from his stash.”

MrLynn on June 15, 2010 at 10:05 AM

ya2daup on June 15, 2010 at 3:53 AM

Heh!

Cindy Munford on June 15, 2010 at 10:06 AM

Sounds like she need to be taken to the river. Oh, what the heck, wash her in the water while you’re there.

Hucklebuck on June 15, 2010 at 10:21 AM

angryed on June 15, 2010 at 7:25 AM

Amen to that man!

abobo on June 15, 2010 at 10:22 AM

We had the same thing happen in Dem primaries here in IL a couple of decades ago when Lyndon LaRoushe candidates won for Lt Gov and treasurer. Dem explanation: LaRouchs candidates names were “less ethnic” than the “real” Dems, causing people to chose them. Translation: Our primary voters are racists. Funny how it’s always the smart people’s party who does this shit.

Hucklebuck on June 15, 2010 at 10:24 AM

Hucklebuck on June 15, 2010 at 10:24 AM

I remember it well.
Now the LaRouchies don’t run for office because they’re too busy trying to crash our Tea Parties.

annoyinglittletwerp on June 15, 2010 at 11:51 AM

Typical Democrat.

RobCon on June 15, 2010 at 4:30 PM

This is the very first thing I thought of when this story broke. I wondered if that was the Rev. Al Green. I’m a 48 year old white woman so if it occurred to me . . . why not?

Greyledge Gal on June 15, 2010 at 4:38 PM