Video: America’s Candidate surprisingly isn’t improving in media relations

posted at 2:40 pm on June 13, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Don Lemon at CNN gets his turn with a media stick to take some shots at Alvin “Piñata” Greene, the South Carolina Democrat who miraculously won the US Senate primary despite never making a public appearance.  Actually, it’s beginning to look like Greene won because he never made a public appearance.  Keith Olbermann conducted a professional and straightforward interview that utterly dismantled Greene, but Lemon begins to get concerned that Greene’s having some sort of mental breakdown and spends the last minute of the clip attempting to provide therapy:

Lemon says in the clip that the New York Times called him a Republican plant, but that’s not actually true.  The Times reported yesterday on the many, many oddities in South Carolina politics over the past decade, including the accusation by others that Greene was a plant.  The paper reported the day before on allegations from Rep. James Clyburn that someone planted Greene.  Gail Collins wrote that the debacle was likely the result of mental coin-flipping by uninformed voters, and that “South Carolina the best place in the world to be a political reporter.”  However, no one at the NYT has written categorically that Greene was a plant at all, let alone a Republican plant.

But back to the trainwreck that is Alvin Greene.  When Lemon tells Greene that some SC Democrats are calling him a few fries short of a Happy Meal, Greene demands to know their names, as if that makes some sort of difference.  When Lemon tells him who they are (they’re on record), Greene mumbles an I’m-rubber-you’re-glue response that is more pathetic than the accusation.  He still can’t give more than monotone answers of few syllables to most questions Lemon or anyone else asks, although he has managed to replace “no comment” with “my lawyers are handling that,” which in politics is not exactly an improvement.  Greene sounds so morose that it’s no wonder that Lemon starts getting concerned at the end of the call.

The biggest loser in this debacle, however, is Vic Rawls, Greene’s primary opponent.  How did a former judge and a Democratic Party leader lose to Greene — by over thirty thousand votes?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Yikes! the LOL disappeared, Mary, cuz I stuck it in angle brackets.

SilentWatcher on June 14, 2010 at 9:54 AM

I see SC Dems are trying to invalidate Alvin Greene’s election by saying he’s got mental problems. I didn’t know any SC Dem was a psychiatrist. Leave Alvin alone! The people chose him and that’s their business. So what if he can’t talk worth a lick of spit? We’ve got a chatterbox in the WH who’s always talking but saying nothing. Alvin Greene is far preferable to the poseurs we’ve got in office.

SilentWatcher on June 14, 2010 at 10:06 AM

That be the proper polltax syntax you dufuss!

jarhead0311 on June 14, 2010 at 9:45 AM

WTH do you expect, Marine? The best I could do in high school English was a good solid B+.

Seriously, though, when I first read SW expounding I was all like, daaang, this person really knows their grammar.

Gang-of-One on June 14, 2010 at 10:18 AM

OK, joke’s over. This Greene business is really a sad spectacle.
Edouard on June 14, 2010 at 4:56 AM

Greene threw a monkey wrench into the Democrat machine’s plans, so the oh-so politically correct media feels free to abuse the guy.

One of those bizarre possibilities is that Greene is fully complicit in some political intrigue. Even more bizarre than that is the possibility that he’s telling the truth. After all, it’s not just Republicans who are fed up with the status quo in DC. Democrats, particularly in the black community, are also out of work and angry at anyone who, like Rawls, represents the political class. People just might have voted against Rawls, period.

Given some of the disgraceful role models that parade before the public every day in Congress, why shouldn’t a guy like Greene — felony charge and all — feel he’s just as qualified to run for office (or be bought off to drop out)?

Nichevo on June 14, 2010 at 10:23 AM

Dude, you got a problem with women knowing something?

SilentWatcher on June 14, 2010 at 9:53 AM

SW, you took that way too serious. I’m guessing you’re new or just haven’t read many comments from me. I adore smart tough conservative women. I’ve flown with them in combat. I just said that people commenting on internet threads usually don’t like “anyone” nit-picking their spelling and grammar.

And, I’m not sure what umbrage you took with me agreeing with your answer to my “United States” question. I was just adding the period of time where it turned to the convention in which we now address it. My bad.

As to all the other things you threw out there, for whatever reason, asserting things about me; you don’t even know me.

hawkdriver on June 14, 2010 at 11:08 AM

I like this guy. He’s more lucid than your average Dem politician.

Skipper50 on June 14, 2010 at 12:17 PM

Greene is the natural conclusion of democrat Leftist ideals. That democrats don’t like it, is really their own fault.

lorien1973 on June 13, 2010 at 2:50 PM

baldilocks on June 14, 2010 at 12:26 PM

Why should blacks have “leaders”?

keep the change on June 13, 2010 at 4:24 PM

You should ask CNN, MSNBC and even FNC. No perceived “black” entity keeps putting a microphone under Sharpton, Jackson and sundry other charlatans wearing brown skin.

I never got the “black leader” ballot and I know of no other person that did.

baldilocks on June 14, 2010 at 12:31 PM

Run…Alvin…..Run!!

joe btfsplk on June 14, 2010 at 12:32 PM

baldilocks on June 14, 2010 at 12:31 PM

Baldi, I tried buying your book on Amazon. I had a fit of trouble opening my account with them since I haven’t used it in so long. I’ll get back on and try it again. Once I do, how would one go about getting it autographed?

hawkdriver on June 14, 2010 at 12:34 PM

hawkdriver on June 14, 2010 at 11:08 AM

Offer Silent a couple of Midols and she’ll be fine! heh

hawkdriver on June 14, 2010 at 12:34 PM

If you get it at my site (name of book dot com), I’ll sign it a seen it right to you.

baldilocks on June 14, 2010 at 12:41 PM

a seen=and send

I think Alvin’s IQ is contagious.

baldilocks on June 14, 2010 at 12:42 PM

baldilocks on June 14, 2010 at 12:41 PM

Deal, I’ll do it tonight.

hawkdriver on June 14, 2010 at 12:46 PM

….shrimp sandwich, shrimp gumbo, shrimp pie, mmmm hhmmmm, shrimp scampi, shrimp stir fry……………….

melachiro on June 14, 2010 at 1:13 PM

“I think Alvin’s IQ is contagious.”

There is no tangible proof that a liberal viewpoint is detrimental to a person’s IQ. Or that there is a direct correlation.

But one could easily argue the reverse.

:-)

docjohn52 on June 14, 2010 at 1:52 PM

docjohn52 on June 14, 2010 at 1:52 PM

Wow, now I feel stupid.

:-(

hawkdriver on June 14, 2010 at 2:03 PM

Does he know that islands are attached to the sea floor?

If so, he has Hank Johnson beat in the IQ Dept.

Miss_Anthrope on June 14, 2010 at 2:47 PM

This is obviously the work of George Bush.

manwithblackhat on June 14, 2010 at 3:05 PM

Guy who won’t appear live on tv…
Guy who won’t answer questions..
Guy no one knows anything about…
No clear platform to discuss….

Sounds pResidential to me!

Dick Turpin on June 14, 2010 at 6:00 PM

The Dems are just embarrassed that this guy won the primary with 59 % of the vote(which says more about SC voters than anything else) without a single campaign ad or appearance. Now they have to live with the voters’ choice and calling Greene a plant is the best they can come up with.

I don’t think Forrest Gump is the model for this guy, I think it’s Chance from ‘Being There.’ Alvin Greene is the reflection of voters’ wish to pick the first guy on the ballot.

Dave in San Diego on June 14, 2010 at 6:21 PM

The Right Scoop: Another Trainwreck: Mark Levin interviews Alvin Greene

Rae on June 14, 2010 at 8:27 PM

The Right Scoop: Another Trainwreck: Mark Levin interviews Alvin Greene

Rae on June 14, 2010 at 8:27 PM

I heard that. REALLY uncomfortable to listen to that live – I give props to Levin for remaining so respectful throughout. It almost seems…. like maybe this guy really is…. somewhat challenged. I just felt bad for him. If I was Jim DeMint, I’d wonder how to approach a campaign against an opponent who’s so woefully unequipped. It’ll be like running the score up on the beaten team when you’re already ahead by 100 points.

Animator Girl on June 14, 2010 at 11:21 PM

The people chose this man as their candidate. It’s lame for the pathetic Dems to try to force him out, if that’s what’s happening.

visions on June 15, 2010 at 8:00 AM

Don Lemon at CNN

I had avoided watching any of the greene clips up to now because there is no point to watching them. It is a joke and a distraction from the nightmare that is going on daily in this country. I finally bit the bullet and clicked on the video so I could at least say I heard the guy speak once in case it came up in conversation and then the face of this lemon guy popped up. This guy has no right to question anyones sincerity, honesty, credibility or intelligence. This guy lemon is as bad as they come on cable. He is a dumb, effete, fey little creep.

peacenprosperity on June 15, 2010 at 9:28 AM

And to waste one more comment on the matter, if the gop had any balls they would be down there in sc stirring the pot making this a racial issue. This guy won the primary because the black democrats voted for him. Now the democrats are trying to get rid of him.

peacenprosperity on June 15, 2010 at 9:33 AM

. Alvin Greene is black America. And the liberals are embarrassed by that. Thus, they want him gone.

Aside from the fact that he is not a smooth speaker, and he is out of his element, and way out of his depth, there is nothing unusual about Alvin Greene.

keep the change on June 13, 2010 at 4:06 PM

I did read the first sentence as saying black Americans have low IQ, and what followed seemed to me to be in the same vein. I now see that keep_the_change could also be interpreted as arguing that Alvin Greene is not as dumb as he sounds, and that is actually the better interpretation. Having to do this much parsing of an apparently simple statement reminds me why I don’t think there is a correct, literal interpretation of the Bible.

thuja on June 15, 2010 at 10:40 AM

I feel bad for Greene. Maybe he just wanted to do his part to help his state, the voters chose him, and now everyone is taking shots at him in the press. He served his country in uniform, he’s attempting to serve again, and he’s being ridiculed for it.

hawksruleva on June 15, 2010 at 11:25 AM

hawksruleva, I was just about to comment the same thing, but you hit the nail on the head. I wish they would keep him out of the news. Its kinda sad seeing everyone kick him around.

gimpskinny on June 15, 2010 at 3:25 PM