Video: Cthulhu awakens on Facebook to terrorize the left

posted at 5:26 pm on June 11, 2010 by Allahpundit

To cleanse the palate, a short trip down memory lane. Watching this, it seems like such a perfectly natural thing for a pol to do that I’m amazed more of them don’t do it. Obama has his weekly YouTube address, of course, and the GOP has its weekly rebuttal, but you’d think up-and-comers — Palin especially — would have full-blown YouTube fee-vah given how much more intimate a video address feels than a Facebook post. A two-minute address from Bobby Jindal each week updating America on what’s been done to protect the coastline from the spill and what’s still needed would be a costless way to raise his profile and turn up the heat on the feds. I suspect GWB’s started a trend here.

It’s good to see him under such mellow circumstances, but I confess: The green screen’s weirding me out a little.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

AHHHHH!

Him!!!

blatantblue on June 11, 2010 at 5:29 PM

God bless you, Mr. President.

Y-not on June 11, 2010 at 5:29 PM

Fred! had his videos…

Anyway, GOOD to see Bush!!

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on June 11, 2010 at 5:30 PM

Sure, now he knows how to communicate.

amerpundit on June 11, 2010 at 5:30 PM

Rock on GW. Unbent by the spittle crowd frothing and foaming with insane anger.

rickyricardo on June 11, 2010 at 5:31 PM

He needs a better microphone. It sounds like he is “sthlurring” all of his s’s. Makes him sound a lot older.

Ferris on June 11, 2010 at 5:31 PM

“Miss me yet?”

Oh, yes, sir. Yes, indeed.

Mary in LA on June 11, 2010 at 5:31 PM

But but but, historical precedent urges former Presidents to refrain from speaking out.

Thanks to Carter and Clinton for straightening out that little misconception. The door is WIDE OPEN now.

God Bless you, President Bush!

jeff_from_mpls on June 11, 2010 at 5:32 PM

Emmanuel Goldstein

aquaviva on June 11, 2010 at 5:32 PM

idk, this guy is semi responsible for all this crap…

moonbatkiller on June 11, 2010 at 5:32 PM

Can we have Bush back?

*waits for someone head to explode*

upinak on June 11, 2010 at 5:33 PM

Wow, has he only been gone a year and a half? I honestly feel like I’m just remembering a figure from a decade ago.

bcm4134 on June 11, 2010 at 5:33 PM

A long, cold drink of water on a hot day.

AP- What green screen? Have you been partaking early?

eaglesdontflock on June 11, 2010 at 5:33 PM

How the heck did we go from Dubya to The One? It’s like trading in your Mercedes for a Chevy. Sure, they both get you to a destination, but one does it with a sense of class and quality, while the other …well, you know.

JetBoy on June 11, 2010 at 5:33 PM

Cthulhu awakens on Facebook to terrorize the left

Good one, A.P.! :-)

In his house at C’r'ford, ex-Prez B’thulhu sits blogging…

Mary in LA on June 11, 2010 at 5:33 PM

Great to see Dubya. The only thing missing is a shout out to O. “How do you like it now, champ?”

Southernblogger on June 11, 2010 at 5:34 PM

Miss Me Yet…

…yeah!

NYconservative on June 11, 2010 at 5:34 PM

I confess I watched it 3 times. I miss him, mistakes and all. :(

LEBA on June 11, 2010 at 5:34 PM

Miss him every day. .

Texyank on June 11, 2010 at 5:35 PM

AP- What green screen? Have you been partaking early?

eaglesdontflock on June 11, 2010 at 5:33 PM

The background is fake

blatantblue on June 11, 2010 at 5:36 PM

Listening to him reminds me how Presidents used to sound.

portlandon on June 11, 2010 at 5:36 PM

Looks like someone forgot to turn on the key and fill and back lights…yikes.

tomas on June 11, 2010 at 5:36 PM

idk, this guy is semi responsible for all this crap…

moonbatkiller on June 11, 2010 at 5:32 PM

No, he isn’t.
If Bush is responsible for anything, it’s the fact that the economy’s done OK even under the massive onslaught of the ObamaNation due to the Bush tax cuts and the war is still going well due to the foundation for victory that Bush laid with the military.
As for the bad stuff, that’s all Barack’s.

Love ya, Dubya!

Jenfidel on June 11, 2010 at 5:37 PM

Listening to him reminds me how Presidents used to sound.

portlandon on June 11, 2010 at 5:36 PM

Humble. I miss Humble.

upinak on June 11, 2010 at 5:37 PM

Listening to him reminds me how Presidents used to sound.

portlandon on June 11, 2010 at 5:36 PM

Yep. Those were the days, before American exceptionalism and pride in the nation became four-letter words.

JetBoy on June 11, 2010 at 5:38 PM

I think I’m going to cry I miss him so much.

Knucklehead on June 11, 2010 at 5:38 PM

Even with all the liberal-lite social policies he put out there…Dubya is light years better than the arse-clown now residing in the White House! Do I wish we could have him back…let me get a HELL YEAH!

BadMojo on June 11, 2010 at 5:38 PM

Looks like someone forgot to turn on the key and fill and back lights…yikes.

tomas on June 11, 2010 at 5:36 PM

Don’t know what you and AP are talking about, but I see the video just fine with no “green screen” on my iMac with a Firefox browser.

Jenfidel on June 11, 2010 at 5:38 PM

The background is fake. The lighting is obviously different. He recorded this somewhere in front of a green screen and then the video editor added in an image of a library.

Allahpundit on June 11, 2010 at 5:40 PM

Allahpundit on June 11, 2010 at 5:40 PM

Well, it could be worse. He could be talking about Obama and in the background the continential U.S. could be on fire. Wait, you might think that is cool.

upinak on June 11, 2010 at 5:41 PM

Jenfidel on June 11, 2010 at 5:38 PM

He recorded it in front of a green screen and a background — the library — was added in later. The library isn’t really there.

amerpundit on June 11, 2010 at 5:42 PM

Allahpundit on June 11, 2010 at 5:40 PM

Bush doesn’t know what a library is.

–Paul McCartney

JetBoy on June 11, 2010 at 5:42 PM

Allahpundit on June 11, 2010 at 5:40 PM

Cut Cthulhu some slack. The planet Vhoorl doesn’t photograph well on Facebook.

aquaviva on June 11, 2010 at 5:42 PM

Here’s an example. They use a computer to change the background from green to an image of a library later.

amerpundit on June 11, 2010 at 5:43 PM

Humble. I miss Humble.

upinak on June 11, 2010 at 5:37 PM

And classy. I miss that, too.

silvernana on June 11, 2010 at 5:44 PM

He even said he loved America. He said it out loud. I knew I was going to miss him, I just didn’t realize how much.

BetseyRoss on June 11, 2010 at 5:44 PM

amerpundit on June 11, 2010 at 5:42 PM

@GWB :
plz don’t make it easy for the dung-beetle McCartney to make jokes about you

macncheez on June 11, 2010 at 5:44 PM

Because of the green screen made his tone look weird, I thought it was fake for a second.

Enoxo on June 11, 2010 at 5:44 PM

Wow, a Pres not looking right and left at the teleprompter like it was a tennis match. Straight on to the camera (and I’m sure a prompter)…and Obambi is the great orator?

Dingbat63 on June 11, 2010 at 5:44 PM

Actually it looks like the embed changed the original quality. Here’s another version with more natural audio and better lighting on his face.

amerpundit on June 11, 2010 at 5:45 PM

Everyone take note, and see the classy and respectful manner in which a former President should act…unlike certain other examples I need not name here.

And AP, I appreciate the Lovecraftian reference in the title of this feature. Are you a fan?

ynot4tony2 on June 11, 2010 at 5:46 PM

Bush doesn’t know what a library is.

–Paul McCartney

JetBoy on June 11, 2010 at 5:42 PM

Ha! Think this library scene was intentional?
…..

I sure miss his strength and leadership. The BP mess would be a memory by now.

tru2tx on June 11, 2010 at 5:47 PM

Miss me yet?

I missed him the moment ‘Teh One’ placed his hand on Lincoln’s bible.

I pray that Bush doesn’t hold any punches in his book and properly defends his administration from the lies the Obama machine has caused.

You-Eh-Vee on June 11, 2010 at 5:47 PM

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! EXCELLENT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

canopfor on June 11, 2010 at 5:48 PM

Ah, no, actually.

Allahpundit on June 11, 2010 at 5:48 PM

@GWB :
plz don’t make it easy for the dung-beetle McCartney to make jokes about you

macncheez on June 11, 2010 at 5:44 PM

Who cares what jokes dung-beetle McCartney makes?
Not anyone that matters.

redslippers on June 11, 2010 at 5:49 PM

Dubya, too bad you didn’t get the tax cuts permanent or extended til 2050, and get that SS thing reformed.

Kissmygrits on June 11, 2010 at 5:50 PM

Allahpundit on June 11, 2010 at 5:40 PM

If he’s going to use it, he should really use it. I hope he starts putting all kinds of random stuff up there (like the old Vent videos…).

Tanya on June 11, 2010 at 5:53 PM

Notice the books… A response to the library dig from last week no doubt… And yes it is good to see him. The man who clearly identified that the world had changed on 9-11. The leader who went full bore into the abyss of modern P.C. regulated warfare in an attempt to make us safe once again…
Not perfect… like the One (ass that he is), but an American President who I am proud to have supported when he was right, and defend when he was unjustly attacked for political purposes. And yet one with whom I disagreed at times… Even strongly on a few things… God love em. I’d take him back in a second over the current Baboonish Orator residing in the WH.

RalphyBoy on June 11, 2010 at 5:53 PM

Personally I think he probably used the green screen shot of the library as a tongue in cheek joke about McCartneys library jab…but who knows.

BadMojo on June 11, 2010 at 5:53 PM

In his house at C’r’ford, ex-Prez B’thulhu sits blogging…

Mary in LA on June 11, 2010 at 5:33 PM

Nice. :o)

Tanya on June 11, 2010 at 5:54 PM

Dingbat63 on June 11, 2010 at 5:44 PM

..and no whistling, lisping, sibilant teeth, either.

To those who say they are on the verge of tears because they miss “W”, add me to your group.

The War Planner on June 11, 2010 at 5:54 PM

Dubya we sure do miss you and Laura!

PS..Heck I even miss Barney and Ms Beasley!

Dire Straits on June 11, 2010 at 5:55 PM

I wonder when McCartney was last inside a library.

INC on June 11, 2010 at 5:55 PM

*Hands out the Kleenex*

upinak on June 11, 2010 at 5:55 PM

RalphyBoy on June 11, 2010 at 5:53 PM

+1,000.

..uncommonly good comments.

The War Planner on June 11, 2010 at 5:57 PM

Bush has aged rapidly from last time I saw one. With that said, I’m not happy to see the so-called Republican who’s discretional spending expenditures outpaced freaking LBJ!!! He basically put the ball on tee for Obama. For that I can never forgive him. Nice guy certainly, but horrible president.

Pitchforker on June 11, 2010 at 5:57 PM

Ahh. Nice to see the true Captain Kickass. Peace through strength.

The replacement Kickass focuses his anger on Capitalism while reaching out a hand to terrorists. Chaos through weakness.

Electrongod on June 11, 2010 at 5:59 PM

Nice guy certainly, but horrible president.

Pitchforker on June 11, 2010 at 5:57 PM

And the person who is POTUS now? WTF would you call him? Since it wasn’t JUST Bush that sent that crap through… you gotta include the House and Senate.

upinak on June 11, 2010 at 5:59 PM

Cthulhu awakens on Facebook to terrorize the left

Good one, A.P.! :-)

In his house at C’r’ford, ex-Prez B’thulhu sits blogging…

Mary in LA on June 11, 2010 at 5:33 PM

Been decades since I read Lovecraft… wasn’t one of the Old Ones found up in Alaska?

And if Bush is Cthulhu, would Cheney be “Him Who Is Not to be Named”?

malclave on June 11, 2010 at 6:00 PM

Compare and contrast W’s speaking with Barry’s. Yikes. W comes off like a guy you could talk to, Barry’s angry whenever he speaks. If W came out and said he’s concerned about our country I’d believe it. If Barry said the same thing, I wouldn’t believe it, I’d be worried about what he’s up to next.

Alfresco on June 11, 2010 at 6:01 PM

Oh you just KNOW that Olbermann is going to be all over this one, if he hasn’t been already, because we all know how much BOOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSHHHH drives him nuts!

And that, of course, is always a good thing.

pilamaye on June 11, 2010 at 6:01 PM

upinak on June 11, 2010 at 5:59 PM

Obama is worse than Bush. That’s pretty self-explanatory. But they’re not the only ones culpable. They’re had horrible dance partners with the Congresses we’ve been subjected to.

Pitchforker on June 11, 2010 at 6:01 PM

No, he isn’t.

Jenfidel on June 11, 2010 at 5:37 PM

Let’s not kid ourselves; Bush was a foreign policy hawk and cut taxes (though I doubt he understands why), but he was also a profligate spender with no sense of the limits of his office or the scope of government. Bush II is the penultimate RINO “compassionate conservative” who ballooned government and private sector regulation “for the good reasons”.

Lehosh on June 11, 2010 at 6:01 PM

Bush brought on our current situation with his fumbling and destruction of the Conservative base. He was a disaster and I’m glad he is gone.
Now we have to replace the current administration with true Conservatives not worn out Rinos and phonies.

FactsofLife on June 11, 2010 at 6:02 PM

Like him dislike him Conservative or Moderate – he was a leader.

CWforFreedom on June 11, 2010 at 6:02 PM

Bush is looking good.

Aquateen Hungerforce on June 11, 2010 at 6:03 PM

Links? Proof?
Obama has spent more than all Presidents before him combined.
Where’s your criticism of him?

He basically put the ball on tee for Obama.

Obama’s done his damage all on his own–Porkulus, ObamaCare, Car bailouts, etc.

Nice guy certainly, but horrible president.

Pitchforker on June 11, 2010 at 5:57 PM

I’ve always thought he was a great president while he was in the White House and history will vindicate him even more.

Of course, you want Ron Paul in the White House so there’s no accounting for taste.

Jenfidel on June 11, 2010 at 6:03 PM

And here are the Bush bashers. I can’t wait to make their lives hell in a different thread as none of us like Obama.. but here they are bashing Bush.

I guess these are the same people who are never happy, even in their own lives.

upinak on June 11, 2010 at 6:03 PM

FactsofLife on June 11, 2010 at 6:02 PM

Ron Paul ’12!!!!!/

portlandon on June 11, 2010 at 6:04 PM

Mr. President,

While you suffered mistakes that all presidents do, you and Laura served with dignity and class. I sometimes questioned the choices you made, but I always knew you made them with the best intentions of serving and protecting this country. After a year and a half of our current “world citizen president”, the respect you gave the office you held, and your commitment to the citizens, shines through and will only shine brighter as time passes. I hope your retirement is rewarding, because it is well-deserved.

tpitman on June 11, 2010 at 6:04 PM

I wonder when McCartney was last inside a library.

INC on June 11, 2010 at 5:55 PM

When he went to visit the Beatles music catalog at MJ’s Never, Never Tell Compound for Perverting Little Boys. Jackson kept Sir Paul’s music in his library, right beside the recipe for abuse juice

RalphyBoy on June 11, 2010 at 6:05 PM

One I’ll say about him: I disagreed with many of his domestic policies, but I never once doubted his love for his country or his determination to defend it.

Oh, and major geek-props to Allah for working in the Cthulhu reference. :)

irishspy on June 11, 2010 at 6:05 PM

Of course he understands why!

The spending was down to Congress and IMO, Bush used almost too much restraint in regards to the limits of his office, unlike the current Occupant.

Lehosh on June 11, 2010 at 6:01 PM

Bush “ballooned” government (Examples?)–what about Obama and Clinton?
As to ballooning “private sector regulation,” I thought Bush’s problem was that he didn’t regulate the private sector enough!
Make up your mind, Lefty!

Jenfidel on June 11, 2010 at 6:07 PM

And if Bush is Cthulhu, would Cheney be “Him Who Is Not to be Named”?

malclave on June 11, 2010 at 6:00 PM

Sshhhhh!

:-)

Mary in LA on June 11, 2010 at 6:07 PM

I might add that I miss Dick and Lynn Cheney also!

Dire Straits on June 11, 2010 at 6:07 PM

Pitchforker on June 11, 2010 at 5:57 PM

..why does one get the impression that, because of your anger over Bush, voted for Obama out of spite, O Mr Fifty-Two-Percenter?

The War Planner on June 11, 2010 at 6:08 PM

portlandon,
Ron Paul has his own problems.
Bring on Palin.

FactsofLife on June 11, 2010 at 6:08 PM

Links? Proof?
Obama has spent more than all Presidents before him combined.
Where’s your criticism of him?

Jen, I hate to crush your personal fondness of him, but ole Bushie was a long stretch from the Republican canon of old. Look at the percentage!!! LBJ!!! HE OUTSPENT THE GREAT SOCIETY LOON!!

Obama’s done his damage all on his own–Porkulus, ObamaCare, Car bailouts, etc

Bush bailed out Wall Street and started the ball rolling on the car companies. He paved the way for Obama to justify his unconstitutional takeovers.

Maybe a great guy you could have a beer with a poor president. He got wrapped up trying to be everything to everyone. Colloborating with the late Ted Kennedy on education reform? Say what?

Pitchforker on June 11, 2010 at 6:09 PM

Yes W spent too much money. We must remember that the Congress held him hostage over money for the Wars,and The Dhimmis controlled the Congress from Jan. 2007. I blame the Republicans in Congress before 2007 for going along with the Dhimmis and not standing strong. They tried to be bi-partisan. The “Can’t we all just get along?” crowd. See how well the new Congress and White House get along with the Republicans. I hope when they do regain control they will remember this. Sadly, my hopes aren’t high.

sandee on June 11, 2010 at 6:10 PM

The War Planner on June 11, 2010 at 6:08 PM

VOTED FOR BUSH TWICE UNFORTUNATELY. I WAS FOOLED.

Pitchforker on June 11, 2010 at 6:10 PM

Pitchforker on June 11, 2010 at 5:57 PM

Let me guess-you didn’t vote at all in the 2008 election to “teach the Republicans a lesson”.

Del Dolemonte on June 11, 2010 at 6:10 PM

Didn’t agree with everything he did, but I’d still be proud to bake him a coconut cream pie.

itsacookbook on June 11, 2010 at 6:11 PM

And if Bush is Cthulhu, would Cheney be “Him Who Is Not to be Named”?

malclave on June 11, 2010 at 6:00 PM

Ah, on second thought, we don’t have to be so scared of “Him Who Shall Not Be Named”! I bet he’s just a myth anyway. Watch this!

Hastur, Hastur, Hastur!

See? Nothing hap

Mary in LA on June 11, 2010 at 6:11 PM

VOTED FOR BUSH TWICE UNFORTUNATELY. I WAS FOOLED.

Pitchforker on June 11, 2010 at 6:10 PM

But did you vote for McCain in 2008?

Del Dolemonte on June 11, 2010 at 6:11 PM

OMG, a calming effect has come over hotair and all(most)of it’s grateful members. Thanks AP.

dragondrop on June 11, 2010 at 6:11 PM

Heh, i watched it earlier and didn’t even realize it was a green screen until you pointed it out

clearbluesky on June 11, 2010 at 6:13 PM

But did you vote for McCain in 2008?

Del Dolemonte on June 11, 2010 at 6:11 PM

Hell no. McCain doesn’t like conservatives. Why should I have voted for someone who holds visible contempt for me? And don’t give me the lesser of two evils lecture.

Pitchforker on June 11, 2010 at 6:13 PM

Look, I was vehemently anti-Bush during his tenure, letting Rummy go to war on the cheap, which prolonged it and escalated the eventual costs, in blood, treasure and global standing. His compassionate conservative crap was nothing but cave-ins to big pharma and the NEA with no child left educated.

And not beat a dead horse, but his biggest foul up was the way he took us to Iraq. Instead of making all the big speeches and all the UN crap which only enabled the prog/left to personalize it as Bush’s policy of pre-emption, all he had to do was wave Clinton’s ’98 SOTU address citing WMD’s R’US and the official policy of Regime Change being our stance on Saddam and the Dhim’s would’ve just had to take it in silence. Remember that this point in ’91 WJC was still the rock star of the Dhimmicrats. There is absolutely no way the Dhims could have paraded around self-righteously indignant for carrying out a Dhimmicrat crafted, created and signed into law foreign policy.

This was a strategic error on his and Rove’s part that led the way for the Progs/left to demonize his administraion which left the Euro/left free to do same, and castrated his GWOT efforts for the remainder of his term. Just.A.Collosal.Mistake.

Now that I am done venting, with that said, I’d take Bush back in a heartbeat over Obama.

Archimedes on June 11, 2010 at 6:13 PM

Pitchforker on June 11, 2010 at 6:09 PM

Quoting a joke of a “news service” (McLatchy) won’t help you make your case here.

Del Dolemonte on June 11, 2010 at 6:13 PM

Pitchforker on June 11, 2010 at 6:10 PM

Why don’t you run it by Israel and see what they think?

Dire Straits on June 11, 2010 at 6:13 PM

God Bless him.

- From a fan in the promised land

publiuspen on June 11, 2010 at 6:13 PM

I think he looks old there… Good for him for getting his message out, I’m sure heads are exploding at Dailypose, Huffpoo, etc.

reshas1 on June 11, 2010 at 6:13 PM

Ron Paul ‘12!!!!!/

portlandon on June 11, 2010 at 6:04 PM

Cthulhu/ Shub-Niggurath 2012!

Why Settle For the Lesser Evil?

malclave on June 11, 2010 at 6:14 PM

Pitchforker on June 11, 2010 at 6:13 PM

Thanks for proving me right. You made it too easy.

Del Dolemonte on June 11, 2010 at 6:10 PM

Del Dolemonte on June 11, 2010 at 6:14 PM

VOTED FOR BUSH TWICE UNFORTUNATELY. I WAS FOOLED.

Pitchforker on June 11, 2010 at 6:10 PM

..well, in that case I apologize; you are entitled to your opinions and I respect the fact that you come prepared to back them up with links, etc.

The War Planner on June 11, 2010 at 6:15 PM

I think he looks old there…

reshas1 on June 11, 2010 at 6:13 PM

Nothing ages a man like the Presidency of the United States. IIRC, even Billy Jeff was completely gray-haired by the time he left office.

Mary in LA on June 11, 2010 at 6:16 PM

Oops—Remember that this point in ‘91 01 WJC was still the rock star of the Dhimmicrats.

Archimedes on June 11, 2010 at 6:16 PM

Yeah I can already see the stress on Obama of all those vacations, parties and concerts he has to attend.

sandee on June 11, 2010 at 6:17 PM

Mary in LA on June 11, 2010 at 6:16 PM

It’ll be interesting to see if the aging effect will apply as well to the first woman POTUS. I suspect very strongly that it will. How could it not?

Mary in LA on June 11, 2010 at 6:17 PM