Pawlenty’s “big schtick” with Jon Stewart

posted at 2:55 pm on June 11, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Tim Pawlenty gave the Daily Show audience what it wants from politician interview — a blend of policy and humor that was entertaining enough that Stewart recorded another 20 minutes of Pawlenty after filming the regular show. Pawlenty jokes about not having “a big schtick” in regards to his personal notoriety on the national political scene or a billion dollars to replace it, but that he planned to work hard to make his views known. In the second part of the interview, Pawlenty also talks about the “silent coup” of the public-sector unions grasping the reins of government. The Star Tribune report underscores Pawlenty’s success in broadening his reach:

Stewart pressed Pawlenty on his presidential ambitions, his views on the role of government and why he vetoed Minnesota’s bong water bill during an extended interview that was both funny and substantive. Pawlenty played it straight most of the time, letting Stewart crack the majority of the jokes, but he picked his spots and got Stewart’s young, liberal audience to laugh at several points.

“It was fun, and this is a chance to reach an audience that’s young,” Pawlenty told the Star Tribune after his appearance Thursday. “We get to talk some issues, have some fun and reach an audience that normally doesn’t pay that much attention.”

Pawlenty’s appearance on “The Daily Show” Thursday, a ritual among presidential hopefuls, was the governor’s latest attempt to raise his national profile as he gears up for a possible 2012 presidential run. While Pawlenty is still polling in single digits among potential GOP candidates, going toe-to-toe with political satirists like Stewart can help him carve out a unique place in the GOP as a fresh face who could siphon away younger voters from President Obama.

Many audience members who attended the taping said that Pawlenty came off well and was likeable, even if they disagreed with his politics. …

Sarah Depasque, 26, who came from Madison, N.J., to watch the show, said she was excited to see Pawlenty because she enjoyed watching Stewart interview Republicans.

“I always have the respect of conservative politicians who come on ‘The Daily Show,’ because they know they might get contentious questions,” she said. “If you’re coming on the show, I know you’re at least interested in my vote. At least you’re trying to make the effort.”

He even joked about his recent veto of a bill that would have removed bong water from a list of controlled substances in Minnesota, certainly not an action with which viewers of the Daily Show would have much sympathy. More seriously, Pawlenty noted that government does have a role in American life, but within its limits, and only when it’s effective. Better to allow authority and responsibility to devolve to state and local government, where people can have more control over the choices made in spending and revenue.

Will this help Pawlenty get more exposure and strength as a viable national candidate? I’d say it didn’t hurt to play outside the home field.

The Daily Show With Jon Stewart Mon – Thurs 11p / 10c
Exclusive – Tim Pawlenty Unedited Interview Pt. 1
www.thedailyshow.com
Daily Show Full Episodes Political Humor Tea Party
The Daily Show With Jon Stewart Mon – Thurs 11p / 10c
Exclusive – Tim Pawlenty Unedited Interview Pt. 2
www.thedailyshow.com
Daily Show Full Episodes Political Humor Tea Party
The Daily Show With Jon Stewart Mon – Thurs 11p / 10c
Exclusive – Tim Pawlenty Unedited Interview Pt. 3
www.thedailyshow.com
Daily Show Full Episodes Political Humor Tea Party

Comments

I drank bong water once, it was gross.

myrenovations on June 11, 2010 at 2:57 PM

I’ve always liked Paw. Gave a good speech at CPAC this year.

Good dude

Jon? ehhhh

blatantblue on June 11, 2010 at 2:58 PM

Pawlenty is good. We need conservative competence with a spokesperson who is quick on his or her feet.

Pawlenty/Ryan 2012

rickyricardo on June 11, 2010 at 3:00 PM

Sucking up to the libs. Yeah, we’re sure to get a ton of votes from that. Worked real well for Backdoor John back in 2008. Must have been what, 20-30 people crossed over to vote GOP. Keep dreaming guys.

blatantblue on June 11, 2010 at 2:58 PM

Yeah, good speech. Whoopee. From the same state that gave us Al Franken and Jesse Ventura. Probability he was lying his a** off…95%. Who cares.

austinnelly on June 11, 2010 at 3:01 PM

Thanks, T-Paw for sticking up for Sarah.

sleepy-beans on June 11, 2010 at 3:02 PM

I like him, but if he has presidential ambitions, he has to find a way to raise his profile.

Splashman on June 11, 2010 at 3:03 PM

austinnelly on June 11, 2010 at 3:01 PM

Yea, he’s just like Al Franken.

Stop being a jerk

blatantblue on June 11, 2010 at 3:04 PM

How about Pawlenty promotes some freedom and liberty and talks about the government serving the people, not the other way around.

DaydreamBeliever on June 11, 2010 at 3:06 PM

I drank bong water once, it was gross.

myrenovations on June 11, 2010 at 2:57 PM

Sorry, no. That was my spitoon, not my bong! No wonder you were grossed out!

stvnscott on June 11, 2010 at 3:06 PM

Showing interest in her vote – by appearing on Comedy Central.

My collie doesn’t curse, but if she did. she’d say:

“What the ****???”

SlimyBill on June 11, 2010 at 3:06 PM

So did Tim get Pawlenty of laughs?

rbj on June 11, 2010 at 3:07 PM

Pawlenty permanently disqualified himself for me when he endorsed McCain in 2007, while McCain was pushing the amnesty bill.

Jon0815 on June 11, 2010 at 3:07 PM

He is still pretty dry.

upinak on June 11, 2010 at 3:07 PM

My collie doesn’t curse, but if she did. she’d say:

“What the ****???”

SlimyBill on June 11, 2010 at 3:06 PM

WHAT? CC? is that you?

upinak on June 11, 2010 at 3:08 PM

That’s “respect for“, dear. And you should just admit, he’ll never get your vote.

Firefly_76 on June 11, 2010 at 3:09 PM

Sorry Tim, not this time…

d1carter on June 11, 2010 at 3:09 PM

Jon0815 on June 11, 2010 at 3:07 PM

And what of Her Majesty, SP?

blatantblue on June 11, 2010 at 3:09 PM

Wasn’t Juan McVain a frequent guest on Jon Stewart before the 2008 election?

Yeah, this is a winning strategy /sarc

Norwegian on June 11, 2010 at 3:10 PM

WHAT? CC? is that you?

upinak on June 11, 2010 at 3:08 PM

Naw.

I just wanted to see what it feels like to quote my dog.

:-D

SlimyBill on June 11, 2010 at 3:11 PM

She’s not Her Majesty, blatant blue.

hrh40 on June 11, 2010 at 3:12 PM

blatantblue on June 11, 2010 at 3:09 PM

you are kidding right?

upinak on June 11, 2010 at 3:12 PM

She’s not Her Majesty, blatant blue.

hrh40 on June 11, 2010 at 3:12 PM

Don’t f with the narrative that all who say anything positive about SP aren’t bots, zombies, or worshippers!

Inanemergencydial on June 11, 2010 at 3:13 PM

you are kidding right?

upinak on June 11, 2010 at 3:12 PM

He’s upset that Paw endorsed McCain.

I’m just wondering if he’ll turn around and apply the same logic to SP.

She’s not Her Majesty, blatant blue.

hrh40 on June 11, 2010 at 3:12 PM

No, she isn’t, nor does she treat herself as such. Can’t say the same for many of her supporters.

blatantblue on June 11, 2010 at 3:16 PM

He’s upset that Paw endorsed McCain.

I’m just wondering if he’ll turn around and apply the same logic to SP.

blatantblue on June 11, 2010 at 3:16 PM

Umm you didn’t read my link, did you.

upinak on June 11, 2010 at 3:18 PM

Umm you didn’t read my link, did you.

upinak on June 11, 2010 at 3:18 PM

No. I watched it.

blatantblue on June 11, 2010 at 3:19 PM

SP still endorsed McCain, along with T-Paw.

I’d like Jon to declare his frustration with SP, too, for endorsing McAmnesty.

blatantblue on June 11, 2010 at 3:20 PM

No. I watched it.

blatantblue on June 11, 2010 at 3:19 PM

sure. *rolls eyes*

upinak on June 11, 2010 at 3:20 PM

Pawlenty/Ryan 2012

Nice guys but YAWN.

Dan Pet on June 11, 2010 at 3:21 PM

sure. *rolls eyes*

upinak on June 11, 2010 at 3:20 PM

You’re missing the point.

But I’m used to that.

blatantblue on June 11, 2010 at 3:21 PM

I was impressed. He is smart.

terryannonline on June 11, 2010 at 3:21 PM

I absolutely will fight the narrative that people who have researched Sarah Palin THOROUGHLY and have chosen to support her are unthinking suicidal Jim Jones followers.

There are very good reasons to support Sarah Palin. Her record as an executive. Her willingness to fight. Her fearlessness.

Nobody’s perfect. Nobody will be a perfect leader.

But some people are proven effective leaders who know how to get stuff done. Sarah Palin is one of them.

That’s why I support her. No royalty worship involved. Brain not left at the door.

hrh40 on June 11, 2010 at 3:21 PM

HOLY COW! Just how tall is T-Paw?

Oink on June 11, 2010 at 3:21 PM

But I’m used to that.

blatantblue on June 11, 2010 at 3:21 PM

you aren’t much better on your points that Nueter, but then I don’t expect much.

Have a good day.

upinak on June 11, 2010 at 3:22 PM

Name names, blatantblue, or stop throwing around accusations.

Thanks.

hrh40 on June 11, 2010 at 3:23 PM

Have a good day.

upinak on June 11, 2010 at 3:22 PM

I’ve made my point clear. You just choose to ignore that fact. However, that’s the standard fare with you.

blatantblue on June 11, 2010 at 3:24 PM

[-_-]oO zZzzzzZZZzzZZzz

LurkerDood on June 11, 2010 at 3:25 PM

Name names, blatantblue, or stop throwing around accusations.

Thanks.

hrh40 on June 11, 2010 at 3:23 PM

I’m going to go ahead and assume you haven’t read many SP threads on this website.

blatantblue on June 11, 2010 at 3:25 PM

Showing interest in her vote – by appearing on Comedy Central.

My collie doesn’t curse, but if she did. she’d say:

“What the ****???”

SlimyBill on June 11, 2010 at 3:06 PM

Aww. Give the girl a break. She’s only a 26 year old “child”.

BowHuntingTexas on June 11, 2010 at 3:26 PM

blatantblue on June 11, 2010 at 3:24 PM

ignore what fact blanantlyignorant? That T-Paw is wishy washy about the border other then he is not a go getter and is very borish? You can’t even state WTF you were talking about.. then then say I make your point. Put the pipe down.

upinak on June 11, 2010 at 3:26 PM

somedays I think Ed is the only supporter of T-Paw in the country

unseen on June 11, 2010 at 3:26 PM

HOLY COW! Just how tall is T-Paw?

Oink on June 11, 2010 at 3:21 PM

I noticed that too. Of course, Stewart’s probably not that tall himself.

Doughboy on June 11, 2010 at 3:27 PM

upinak on June 11, 2010 at 3:26 PM

Wishy washy on the border? So is Sarah. Your hypocrisy is so nauseating.

blatantblue on June 11, 2010 at 3:28 PM

You can’t even state WTF you were talking about..

Oh boy. Upinak, if you spent as much time thinking during a discussion as you do attacking during it, you’d be a much more worthwhile participant.

blatantblue on June 11, 2010 at 3:29 PM

Wait, if I recalllll

“a path to citizenship”
that was the phrase.

blatantblue on June 11, 2010 at 3:30 PM

Pawlenty 2008!

Caper29 on June 11, 2010 at 3:30 PM

Anyway, I hope when I come back Jon will have replied.

blatantblue on June 11, 2010 at 3:31 PM

Wishy washy on the border? So is Sarah. Your hypocrisy is so nauseating.

blatantblue on June 11, 2010 at 3:28 PM

WOW, you are high! I gave you a link to the .org called Secure the Border with Palin stating that the Fed Gov needs to and you say Sarah is wishy washy and you supposedly watched it?

Dude, where is your head. Take it out of from between your legs.

upinak on June 11, 2010 at 3:32 PM

He got owned

tomas on June 11, 2010 at 3:33 PM

Good for T-paw. He is a cordial guy, and I like him.

portlandon on June 11, 2010 at 3:34 PM

I really like him. But is he electable?

therightwinger on June 11, 2010 at 3:35 PM

Meh, not impressed. He’d make a good VP, though.

sleepy-beans on June 11, 2010 at 3:42 PM

I felt like he needed to correct Stewart a couple of times on some basic facts. I know hes entering hostile territory and has to remain as calm as possible, but Stewart really pulled out some bs in that interview and Pawlenty let it slide

Here Stewart’s facts
1. Obamas a centrist
2. Tax cuts hurt the economy -lol
3. Bill Clinton’s surplus had nothing to do with the Republicans overthrowing his Congress for the first time in 50 years and everything to do with him getting laid while in office.
4. Social Security and Medicare are the most successful government programs ever created.

I mean there was some real intellectual rot in that interview, too much for me to ignore.

tflst5 on June 11, 2010 at 3:43 PM

Yes, blatantblue, I’m frequently on SP threads here, and see you being offensive on pretty much everyone.

Not surprised you’re assuming that I haven’t been though, because assuming generally says more about the assumer.

Still no names?

You are truly, blatantly blue, in your inability to argue on point with specifics.

You’re all about insults and innuendo.

upinak posted a video in which Sarah Palin says more states should have laws like Arizona’s strong fed-mirroring rule-of-law enforcing anti-illegal immigrant bill and yet you still keep on LIE-ING with your talking point that SP is weak on immigration.

Who’s your man, blatant blue?

Can you at least cough up that fact?

hrh40 on June 11, 2010 at 3:44 PM

Pa/Pa 2012?

Nah, still too early.

thevastlane on June 11, 2010 at 3:48 PM

blatantblue on June 11, 2010 at 3:20 PM

I believe the original issue of contention was Pawlenty’s endorsement of McCain for president in 2007. Sarah Palin never endorsed McCain or any candidate during the 2008 GOP presidential primary.

ramrocks on June 11, 2010 at 3:53 PM

Anybody see him on GMA this morning w/ Steffy? I for one was not that impressed.. nice guy, but too dry…

davek70 on June 11, 2010 at 3:54 PM

Jon Stewart is a liberal, appealing to a young, liberal audience, and yet was very civil and fair to Tim Pawlenty, all things considered.

And Carly Fiorina is afraid of Sean Hannity?!

YYZ on June 11, 2010 at 3:54 PM

I think he makes his best case at the start of the 3rd clip. Minnesota is a weird state politically, and definitely not conservative on the whole. Cutting government there is something he’s going to need to sell strong to gain traction. I don’t reject him out of hand, like many others seem to. If he does well making his case early in the primaries, people will start looking at some of the states he can put Obama on the defensive in and find a pragmatic appeal there too.

stldave on June 11, 2010 at 3:56 PM

Stewart was probably on a platform when he was shaking hands. Let’s also consider Christie and Liz Cheney….

Bambi on June 11, 2010 at 3:57 PM

Bambi on June 11, 2010 at 3:57 PM

Ooooh, yes! Let’s!

shibumiglass on June 11, 2010 at 4:08 PM

Ever spill bong water on a sofa cushion or carpet? You’re not getting rid of that smell. Not ever.

Sharke on June 11, 2010 at 4:19 PM

Ever notice how conservatives always seem to be ready to rip potential GOP candidates? Would we not be better off building all of them up, and then picking the best of the best? As it is, it seems like we pick the least-wounded survivor of a circular firing squad.

hawksruleva on June 11, 2010 at 4:28 PM

Speaking as a 26-year-old female, I find this really depressing. A politician doesn’t want your vote unless they come on The Daily Show? And does this indicate that you only watch The Daily Show for your news? Probably. This twit has been politically weaned on Jon Stewart, which is why she’s a twit in the first place.

Ugh. Has Rush even been on Stewart’s show? Anyone recall? What do you think would happen if he was? I tend to think he’d eat Stewart’s lunch, but that’s just me.

Animator Girl on June 11, 2010 at 4:33 PM

Jon seems clueless that Obama might be a leftist. If he is disapointed that Obama is not left enough, and thinks that every time limited gov and lower taxes have been tried they did not work, and thinks that % wise Obama has not spent more than Bush, then what is left to talk about until the very basics are covered?

AnotherOpinion on June 11, 2010 at 4:45 PM

Ya think Stewart has thought long and hard about how to counter Conservative ideas?

Speakup on June 11, 2010 at 4:55 PM

The more I hear Pawlenty, the better I like him.

skydaddy on June 11, 2010 at 5:04 PM

It was good, although you could have drove a truck through Stewart’s rebuttals about Carter and Obama. I think Pawlenty was probably smart to keep it cordial this time though, he seems to have won some people over.

echosyst on June 11, 2010 at 5:12 PM

I was impressed. He is smart.

terryannonline on June 11, 2010 at 3:21 PM

He’s not smart enough to see the fraud of Al Gore’s Cap & Trade fraud.

RJL on June 11, 2010 at 5:13 PM

After Mark Sanford
Paw’ was my next favorite.
He’s Number One now.

Haiku Guy on June 11, 2010 at 5:26 PM

I stopped listening because I don’t think Pawlenty was handling Stewart at all well. He allowed Stewart to define the terms and set the parameters when he should have begun most responses with “sorry, but I don’t accept your premise” or “no, you’re wrong about that and here’s why.” He’ll have to do better than this as he’ll encounter much sharper wits along the way than Stewart’s.

SukieTawdry on June 11, 2010 at 5:40 PM

obvious that all the fawning over Pawlenty was jokes at smears at Sarah Palin pathetic

mathewsjw on June 11, 2010 at 5:44 PM

T-Paw is a nice fellow, but there is not a strand of presidential fiber in his entire body.

Wasn’t he trying to set up some sort of regional cap and tax system? That disqualifies him right then and there.

Not gonna bash the guy, but he simply doesn’t have what it takes.

Meanwhile, Sarah will be on Greta tonight (happy birthday Greta) discussing her sincere offer to help Obama with the oil spill. You know, solutions and stuff.

gary4205 on June 11, 2010 at 6:32 PM

If he runs, Pawlenty will basically be the ‘none of the above’ candidate for early 2012 GOP voters — i.e., if they don’t like who’s leading the race at primary time, and don’t like the higher-profile other options on the ballot, Tim’s the most likely beneficiary. And, as long as he doesn’t do any overt sucking up to the liberal big media (going on the Daily Show isn’t sucking up by itself; going on the Daily Show and going along with Stewar bashing some conservative or doing it yourself is), Pawlenty could benefit if a Palin-vs.-Romney-vs.-Mitt battle reaches South Carolina primary level nastiness.

jon1979 on June 11, 2010 at 6:59 PM

Pawlenty?

But, so many Repubs have their hearts set on losing 49 states with Romney, Plain or Newt.

Moesart on June 11, 2010 at 7:52 PM

YYZ on June 11, 2010 at 3:54 PM

Of course he was. Pawlenty’s not a threat. Lib media types used to love yukking it up with Bob Dole too.

Stewart’s O-bot fans aren’t the crowd Pawlenty needs to convince. They aren’t going to vote for him in any case.

ddrintn on June 11, 2010 at 8:36 PM

Palin-vs.-Romney-vs.-Mitt battle…

jon1979 on June 11, 2010 at 6:59 PM

Not sure where you’re going with this… Certainly, Palin and Mitt will be there. But who else? Newt?

alwaysfiredup on June 12, 2010 at 12:08 AM

Hmmmm….something about Tim Pawlenty makes me inch a little. I dont know if its policy or his attempts to look more conservative then he really is…something with him doesnt sit right in my craw. He seems to say lots of the right things, but i dont know……somethings off.

Maybe its the history of blue state Governors always having been brainwashed to progressive ideas in some way or another….*cough* Romneycare *cough*. He will need to do a lot more than spar with Stewart in front of a bunch of naive young liberals to get me on his band wagon.

alecj on June 12, 2010 at 10:33 AM

Great responses that must be thought about before drawing hard conclusions to support or not. But that is what is required in the process of choice. Making the proper choice requires attention to details and examining the “Big Picture”.

MSGTAS on June 12, 2010 at 10:34 AM

Nice guy.. will make a great Secretary in a Palin administration.

itzWicks on June 12, 2010 at 1:43 PM