Comedy gold: The “racist” Hallmark card

posted at 4:12 pm on June 11, 2010 by Allahpundit

The bad news? Rather than stand up to this idiocy, Hallmark looked at its bottom line and figured a PR war with the NAACP wasn’t worth it. The card’s been yanked from the market. The good news? The clip’s destined to be a viral hit and big media outlets like FNC have already picked up the story. (A segment ran within the past hour or so.) I hope the outrageously outraged enjoy the widespread derision they’re going to draw for it. The best news? If this is what the L.A. NAACP now considers a priority for direct action, Los Angeles must be completely racism-free. Three cheers for progress.

Exit question: Doesn’t this mean NASA is the most racist organization in America?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Doesn’t the NAACP think these things through?

YYZ on June 11, 2010 at 4:54 PM

If they thought things through, they wouldn’t be the NAACP.

JohnGalt23 on June 11, 2010 at 7:11 PM

…totalitarianism marches on….

…not only does the National Association for the Advantage of Communist Points of View control the debate on race, they apparently think that they hold the copyright on the word “black”, and they get double points when it is used in conjuction beginning with the syllable “ho-”….

…I left the part of my ear drums that distinctly recognize auditory nuance on a 4.2″ mortar range nearly 30 years ago…and even this deaf-*ss old duffer heard “black holes”…the word “planets” immediately following was a dead give-away….

…mind you, there was a member of (I believe) the city council of Dallas (the one in Texas) who raised a stink both in a convened meeting and on-camera when the word “black holes” was used…I think it was used in conjuction with money disappearing from the budget, but I count on others here to remember that detail for me….

…so…either the Los Angeles area National Amalgamation of Astronauts Confusing Physics need remedial astronomy, or maybe they haven’t had the news exposure lately which is the life’s-blood of an advocacy group…no bucks/no Buck Rogers….

…according to the American Heritage Dictionary (2009), racism is “discrimination or prejudice based on race” (def. 2). Here we see a prejudice shown in the form of “chip on shoulder” when anyone but them use the word “black” in public…and they know that they’ll get away with it….

Puritan1648 on June 11, 2010 at 7:13 PM

Typical white people, right Barry?

50sGuy on June 11, 2010 at 4:32 PM

Bamster HE DA MAN !!

cableguy615 on June 11, 2010 at 7:13 PM

It’s not just the words…I think it is pretty obvious the drawings are made to make fun of black people…pink face is the new racism…
Why don’t people just laugh at them? Because it’s racist to laugh at fools…

right2bright on June 11, 2010 at 7:14 PM

These people are so ignorant they don’t deserve to be on TV.

Why is Hallmark pulling this card? You don’t need to be sensitive to stupidity.

crosspatch on June 11, 2010 at 7:16 PM

Hoops and Yoyo racist? Oh, my Good Lord in heaven. You have to be looking really, really hard to take offense at something like that. And be pretty stupid too.

Tennman on June 11, 2010 at 7:16 PM

* ACHOOOOO*!!!!!

Excuse me !

Oh crap ! I sneezed !!I hope NAACP didn’t hear that, they would probably condemn that blatantly racist action !!! SOORRRRRYYYYY!!!!! I am soooooo sorrryyyyy !!

cableguy615 on June 11, 2010 at 7:18 PM

Now I can’t get Parliament’s “Theme From the Black Hole” out of my head.

exception on June 11, 2010 at 7:18 PM

Mr. Potato Head (AKA the irrelevant Al Sharpton) rushes to podium with bullhorn in 5….4….3….

cableguy615 on June 11, 2010 at 7:19 PM

Send NAACP “Amos and Andy” DVDs!

Lockstein13 on June 11, 2010 at 7:19 PM

SOUNDGARDEN IS RRRRAAAAAAAACCCIST !!!!

cableguy615 on June 11, 2010 at 7:21 PM

If this is all they can rant about, racism no longer exists in America.

JellyToast on June 11, 2010 at 7:26 PM

Bet Hallmark will have to pay NAACP now to come in and conduct its own racial sensitivity program, will probably make more affirmative action hires to shield itself, and a donation to the NAACP scholarship fun. SHAKEDOWN!

Raisedbywolves on June 11, 2010 at 7:36 PM

An amazing thing to me is how sanctimonious they are about the whole thing. The second amazing thing is that not one of them said, “What? They’re saying ‘hole’ not ‘whore’, how do you get ‘whore’ out of that?”

Groupthink.

Dr. ZhivBlago on June 11, 2010 at 7:40 PM

This is all George Bush’s fault.

manwithblackhat on June 11, 2010 at 7:51 PM

A Black Hole’s discovery, use, and demise.

Kini on June 11, 2010 at 7:54 PM

If I’m not mistaken, if you play the card’s audio backwards, it recites a delicious carrot cake recipe.

CatsGodot on June 11, 2010 at 7:57 PM

These people have too much time on their hands.

mbs on June 11, 2010 at 8:02 PM

The corrupt media covered it and treated it seriously.

Hallmark took it seriously and withdrew the card.

Stores took it seriously and pulled the card from the shelves.

So tell me, who’s stupid, the NAACP or these morons for taking them seriously?

TheBigOldDog on June 11, 2010 at 8:04 PM

Black holes is right.

Morons on pissy parade.

The world is crumbling and these effete dimwits have time to excrutiatingly scrutinize silly greeting cards.

A cranial vacuum that sucks, indeed.

profitsbeard on June 11, 2010 at 8:21 PM

Good, because the sillier the NAACP makes itself look, the sooner it ends up in history’s ash heap

pgrossjr on June 11, 2010 at 8:51 PM

Seriously, these people have some sort of mental illness if they are looking for racist remarks where none are to be found. That’s just silly.

Jewels on June 11, 2010 at 8:56 PM

They must have a real problem with Santa Claus, HO, HO, HO.

xplodeit on June 11, 2010 at 9:14 PM

Enough is enough. Hallmark should tell them to shove it up a “black hole”.

scullymj on June 11, 2010 at 9:19 PM

MNHawk on June 11, 2010 at 4:59 PM

That’s a shame, I loved that show.

And now a musical interlude dedicated to the NAACP:

Baa Baa black sheep
Have you any sense?

No sir, no sir
We’re all dense.

Jesse Jackson to issue a statement to the ‘Hymie-mark’ greeting card company in 3…2…1…

Left Coast Right Mind on June 11, 2010 at 9:28 PM

Stephen Hawking better watch out, NAACP is going to come after him for all his research into Black Ho’s.

Dark Eden on June 11, 2010 at 10:25 PM

I just took the liberty of emailing Mr. Jenkins over at the Los Angeles chapter of the NAACP and informing him of what a complete idiot he is.

jimmy2shoes on June 11, 2010 at 10:28 PM

Isn’t it time the L.A. NAACP hold a national conversation on Rap music lyrics?

TN Mom on June 11, 2010 at 10:59 PM

It took three years before a graduation card got noticed by these morons?

Hmmm.

justltl on June 11, 2010 at 11:23 PM

So Carl Sagan and Don Imus walk into a bar.

SAGAN: Them black holes sure are niggardly with their light.

IMUS: You said it. Barkeep, I’ll have a frappe-headed joe.

Isn’t it time the L.A. NAACP hold a national conversation on Rap music lyrics?

TN Mom on June 11, 2010 at 10:59 PM

No. They’ve done so and proved feckless. These vocubulists should communicate in silence. They would be more interesting.

Though I do believe that Americans should stand up against the coarsening our our culture. The so-called n-word is as common in suburbs as it is everywhere else. Most of the time I hear this word it is used by a kid far too young dumb and removed from reality to know what he’s saying. White and black kids use words like “n****” and “bitch” like punctuation.

Perhaps you should speak up next time you some kid calling his grandmother “n****” or “b*tch.”

The Race Card on June 11, 2010 at 11:26 PM

Left Coast Right Mind on June 11, 2010 at 9:28 PM

Jackson’s comments were disgusting back in 1984 when he made them. Since then, I wonder how many similar slurs being you’ve witnessed being used by your friends, family and/or co-workers. I wonder if you would care if he had insulted Muslims instead of Jewish people.

I believe that Jackson is an obvious racialist. But I’m always suspicious of people referencing his second public-slur in a quarter-century, especially those who reject out-of-hand other allegations of bigotry.

The Race Card on June 11, 2010 at 11:35 PM

What a bunch of maroons!

I guess these are the lengths these race baiting retards have to go to nowadays in order to invent charges of racism.

They beclown themselves with these histrionics.

leereyno on June 11, 2010 at 11:52 PM

ask Robert Gibbs during a briefing what the president’s stance on this issue is.

cannonball on June 11, 2010 at 7:01 PM

He doesn’t have a stance
com’on
he sits down …. .. ….

macncheez on June 11, 2010 at 11:54 PM

The Race Card on June 11, 2010 at 11:35 PM

It’s a question of evidence. The racism charge gets thrown around with such abandon that in the absence of evidence, some allegations do indeed have to be rejected out of hand. Like the one that’s the subject of this thread.

ddrintn on June 11, 2010 at 11:54 PM

Does that mean it’s racist to call the undetectable matter in the universe “Dark Matter” or galaxy M104 the “Sombrero Galaxy” or NGC 2392 the “Eskimo Nebula”?

They must be out of their Vulcan minds.

AaronGuzman on June 12, 2010 at 12:21 AM

Oh yes, these people know exactly what this really said. This was just an opportunity to move the fascist agenda forward as they know they can use their blackness to bully guilt-ridden white corporate marketing types. If they can cause Hallmark to cower in the corner then they have won another level of control over a major message medium.

The rank and file blacks hear what the NCAAP ministers-on-high say and blindly believe.

starman on June 12, 2010 at 12:27 AM

The Race Card on June 11, 2010 at 11:35 PM

Huh?

Mr. Race Card. Meet Mr. Deep End.

Now, careful where you step.

hawkdriver on June 12, 2010 at 12:55 AM

*awaiting post from The Race Card pointing out how, even if Hallmark didn’t intend to be racist, the message is still racist to its core*

ddrintn on June 11, 2010 at 5:00 PM

Nope, he ignored the entire subject of the thread and picked the best comment he could insinuate a Hot Air commenter had racist friends.

Jackson’s comment is a matter of public record. On the other hand, you don’t have a clue as to what ddrintn’s friend are even remotely like. How about I say, “I’m always suspect when I hear people defend Jackson’s Heimie Town comment. I bet he tells Jew Jokes when there’s no one around but his friends”

When did you get so unfair in the way you assess other commenters here?

hawkdriver on June 12, 2010 at 1:06 AM

I’m buying this.

The so-called n-word is as common in suburbs as it is everywhere else.

Ain’t buying this.

Jeez, Race Card, where you hanging out at?

What? Is this something you run into frequently? Or are you just using a hypothetical?

Gang-of-One on June 12, 2010 at 1:46 AM

LMFAO at calling people crypto-racists…I’m down with the Buckley-Vidal punch method of dealing with the losers.

Inanemergencydial on June 12, 2010 at 2:00 AM

test

Gang-of-One on June 12, 2010 at 2:09 AM

I’m buying this.

The so-called n-word is as common in suburbs as it is everywhere else.

Ain’t buying this.

Gang-of-One on June 12, 2010 at 2:14 AM

These people show why Obama’s approval rating is still so high among blacks. Too many are living in some kind of fantasy land where everything is about skin color.

Rosmerta on June 12, 2010 at 3:26 AM

Were I in charge, I would have marched right down to my local gardening center, purchased a “black hoe” handed it over to them and told them to shove it up their black hole.

This is absolutely unbelievable that they would seriously make such an accusation and just as ludicrous that Hallmark would respond with anything other than bursts of laughter, perhaps followed by disgust and contempt when they realized these fools were serious.

What is wrong with people?

This is a big eye opener as the level of hatred, bitterness, and ugliness those at the LA NAACP harbor in their minds and hearts….that or they are just stupid.

flyfishingdad on June 12, 2010 at 4:15 AM

It’s incredible that supposed “leaders” in the black community can be so stupid. I mean, how ignorant can any one group of persons be? Did none in the group at that presser say to others, “yo, this is stupid?” Many in the diaspora don’t think that we in the black community here are geniuses, but this is a new low. This is so stupid that the NAACP will need a long, long ladder to attain the status of gibbering idiots.

Here’s a suggestion to the genius who never wants to see/hear this happen again: let’s go back to calling ourselves ‘Negro’. There ain’t no such thing as Negro holes, so you all will be able to keep your mouths shut and not tell the rest of the world how stupid you are.

SilentWatcher on June 12, 2010 at 4:18 AM

YYZ on June 11, 2010 at 4:54 PM, if they THOUGHT at all they wouldn’t be the NAACP.

SilentWatcher on June 12, 2010 at 4:20 AM

Here’s a suggestion to the genius who never wants to see/hear this happen again: let’s go back to calling ourselves ‘N*gro’. There ain’t no such thing as N*gro holes, so you all will be able to keep your mouths shut and not tell the rest of the world how stupid you are.

SilentWatcher on June 12, 2010 at 4:23 AM

Racetards. I hate racetards.

Scherzophrenic on June 12, 2010 at 5:40 AM

The Race Card on June 11, 2010 at 11:35 PM

It is good to have animosity towards muslims, even towards “good” muslims. Good people can believe all sorts of crazy, dangerous things. Islam is an ideology that require muslims to subjugate everyone else, like Nazism. There were many Nazis who were good, decent people. But the basic decency of these Nazis didn’t make them one bit less the enemy.
The difference between Nazism and Islam is that Nazism has only been around for less than a century. Perhaps, a Nazi regime would have become more tolerant after a couple of decades. On the other hand, with Islam we see 14 centuries of unceasing murder, torture, and degradation of the populace.

thuja on June 12, 2010 at 7:54 AM

These NAACP people are sadly stupid. It reminds me of the “niggardly” scandal where some genius thought it refered to black people. They don’t know what a black hole is so, in their ignorance, they came to this stupid conclusion. The theme of the message is space. Why in such a message would they mention whores of any color? Morons!But, having said this, it is funny.

kmarie on June 12, 2010 at 8:24 AM

Censorship is Marxist and not something that we should begin entertaining.

MSGTAS on June 12, 2010 at 9:18 AM

this reminds me of the old joke of a jewish guy who gets beaten up in the street by a black man who has asked him where the post office was, “I told him, ‘You’re a block past it’” (said in a thick Yiddish accent)

icemaniceman1111 on June 12, 2010 at 9:21 AM

on a serious note, this really brings discredit on the black community. this is beyond race hustling and into the realm of stupidity. where are the black leader who will speak out against this? shameful.

icemaniceman1111 on June 12, 2010 at 9:24 AM

My sister and I went to an integrated high school and summer camp. Once some black students or campers told her, “Your mother is a ho.” she responded with, “Your father is a rake” I am not sure she understood what she was saying but she did go on to major in English.

icemaniceman1111 on June 12, 2010 at 9:26 AM

“Your father is a rake”

rake 2 (rk)
n.
An immoral or dissolute person; a libertine. [Short for rakehell.]

VERY NICE…

Khun Joe on June 12, 2010 at 10:36 AM

This is what NAACP does best – play the victim, even if it means going to ridiculous extents. At least they are good at what they do, no?

oakland on June 12, 2010 at 12:37 PM

National
Association for the
Advancement of
Crack
Pots

Akzed on June 12, 2010 at 12:38 PM

The more I think about this, the more angry I get. These nuts in the NAALCP need to worry more about black gangsta rap artists than a greeting card maker.

Jerks.

itzWicks on June 12, 2010 at 1:02 PM

SilentWatcher on June 12, 2010 at 4:18 AM

LOL all day long. Now I’m worried about my son’s “black” crayon. I’m not sure what the NAACP wants me to call that.

elclynn on June 12, 2010 at 1:25 PM

Natoinal
Association for the
Advancement of
Certain
People

Akzed on June 12, 2010 at 1:25 PM

Everything has been said that needs to be said about this non-event. With all the troubles in the LA school system, these people go after a graduation card………..egad.

SC.Charlie on June 12, 2010 at 2:51 PM

As one black “activist”/race-baiter said some years ago, we gotta keep whitey on the hook.

Tantor on June 12, 2010 at 3:13 PM

So the NAACP don’t care if they make themselves look really stupid?

Honestly this has got to be the stupidest thing I have ever heard I watched a segment on this on the boob tube…there is some irony in there somewhere. The NAACP should have a new motto “I See Racist….Everywhere”

Dr Evil on June 12, 2010 at 3:14 PM

Dumb. Dumber than dumb. Quite possibly the dumbest group of people ever assembled in a single room. They are so mind-numbingly dumb, they haven’t got the sense to be embarrassed by how dumb they are. Well, I’ll do it for you: watching you on that video clip made me embarrassed for everyone you know — and everyone you’ll ever know.

And shame on Hallmark for capitulating to the dumbest people in the SOLAR SYSTEM.

Rational Thought on June 12, 2010 at 4:50 PM

The NAACP has done more to further racism than Hallmark or just about anybody has. Maybe the KKK has done more, but I’m not even sure of that.

WannabeAnglican on June 12, 2010 at 7:32 PM

OT but semi-related : Today marks the 16th anniversary of the Brown/Goldman murders, anybody know if OJ has found the “real” killer yet ???

cableguy615 on June 12, 2010 at 8:14 PM

There is some confusion here and it is the result of AAVE. When you insist on speaking a different language you “hear” things differently.
AAVE= african american vernacular english.
GROW UP and knock the chip off of your shoulder. When you refer to yourselves as Americans rather than African-Americans I’ll give a damn about what you think.

skeedro on June 13, 2010 at 1:33 AM

Stupid NAACP folks! Black Hole?? In any event what about the language on most hip hop music produced by everyone from Nas to Eminem. I guess the latter is a white hole??
Yikes!

And I tend to like hip hop for its creativity while I do question its and my own ethics concerning it. Still, at least I can tell you that card ain`t nothing compared the music coming outta those speakers when ya play hip hop. Yep, hip hop is more demeaning than a card about the universe using a scientific name to describe a . . . uh . . . Black Hole.

And then there is Soundgarden, did anyone get angry about “Black Hole Sun?” (Superunknown is the album).

Sherman1864 on June 13, 2010 at 6:00 AM

Black Hole Sun?

Black Hole Son?

Black Hole, Son!

All sounds the same. I come to the conclusion that there are a lot of ignorant folk who have never heard of a Black Hole. Hawkings is really bummed!

Sherman1864 on June 13, 2010 at 6:02 AM

This has got to be a video produced by The Onion, right? The ignorance displayed here is so funny, I have trouble believing Hallmark responded to it by anything other than laughter.

gajaw999 on June 13, 2010 at 8:19 AM

Perhaps A-frikin American’s should give up their lax diction and enunciation practices and stop referring to their women as “Ho’s”, it’s pronounced whore’s.

kregg on June 13, 2010 at 8:59 AM

Eubonics!

Vince on June 13, 2010 at 9:36 AM

Where can I get one… These things will be the next collectible. It wouldn’t have mattered if they had said anything about “Uranus” as obviously these people are as ignorant of anatomy as they are of astronomy.

Bert Convy on June 13, 2010 at 9:46 AM

The NAACP has become a joke.They are as silly as PETA.

badpenny on June 13, 2010 at 10:41 AM

Let’s call this what it is: racism aimed at whites. The NAACP has become an organization that promotes hatred and mistrust of whites.

nkviking75 on June 13, 2010 at 12:50 PM

Things like this are why politicians treat us like we’re morons. It’s like when that guy was booted out of office for using the word, niggardly. If you sell things you have to cater to the morons. I remember years ago there was a black kid who doused his granny with gasoline and lit her up. There was a guy like Sharpton on TV saying it was the white man’s fault because he sold the kid the gas. So I guess if a black kid buys gas we need to assume he’s going to immolate granny with it. I wish Hallmark would come on the news and ridicule the idiocy.

deewhybee on June 13, 2010 at 1:49 PM

I don’t know what you mean by “glory black hole,”‘ Alice said.

Humpty Dumpty NAACP smiled contemptuously. `Of course you don’t — till I tell you. I meant “there’s a nice knock-down argument for you black whore!”‘

`But “glory black hole” doesn’t mean “a nice knock-down argument black whore,”‘ Alice objected.

`When I use a word,’ Humpty Dumpty NAACP said in rather a scornful tone, `it means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less.’

`The question is,’ said Alice, `whether you can make words mean so many different things.’

`The question is,’ said Humpty Dumpty NAACP, `which is to be master – - that’s all.’

(with sincere apologies to
Lewis Carroll, who never intended his fictional fantasies to replace reasoned discourse.

From:
‘Through the Looking Glass’
Chapter 6 – Humpty Dumpty)

PS: The NAACP owes Lewis Carrol’s heirs a huge royalty payment.

landlines on June 13, 2010 at 1:54 PM

I wonder why it took the black community 3 years to notice this? Oh yeah, it’s a graduation card…

Conservalicious on June 13, 2010 at 4:01 PM

Hallmark is going to put out a card that refers to “black whores”?? Ummm, yeah…ok, sure — why not? That would be a great idea that everybody at Hallmark would love, and nobody would think that there might be a little problem with it, right? What a bunch of fools these people (the NAACP) are; when they make ridiculous claims like this, all they do is hurt their own cause. Reminds me of this imbecile: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oc1zGRUPztc

Dopenstrange on June 13, 2010 at 4:55 PM

“We’d like to introduce our media expert, Alvin Greene, who first brought this problem to our attention,” said the NAACP spokesperson. “We are next going to begin a boycott of a Dunkin’ Donut’s product, ‘Chocolate Donut Holes,’ yes you heard it right, Chocolate Donut Holes. To refer to black women as ‘chocolate whores’ well, we’ve heard this before. But to refer to them as ‘donuthin’ whores–this is dredging up the old Reagan welfare queen slander.” SHEESH to the frickin’ tenth power! Why don’t you boycott Dave Chapelle?

smellthecoffee on June 13, 2010 at 7:50 PM

I thought these folks weren’t black anymore–they are supposed to be African-American. So, how can they be offended by a reference to anything black?

I’m just sayin’.

tcn on June 13, 2010 at 10:52 PM

I’m so sick of all of this.

A few years back, our city magazine assigned me to interview about 8 high school seniors concerning their choice of colleges within this state. The students were chosen by their schools’ principals.

I dutifully put their school choices in the article. When it was published, I got a phone call from the local head of the largest “urban” organization, who raked me over the coals for not mentioning a predominantly black college.

I pointed out politely that none of the students (including the black ones) had even applied to that college, much less chosen it, and he became furious. He called my editor, and the paper promised that, in future, they would mention that college in articles about higher education.

Even though no one I had interviewed so much as mentioned it.

Feh.

KyMouse on June 14, 2010 at 8:18 AM

I’m laughing about blackness right now, maam. Thanks for the comedy.

peacenprosperity on June 14, 2010 at 9:16 AM

cannonball on June 11, 2010 at 7:01 PM
He doesn’t have a stance
com’on
he sits down …. .. ….

macncheez on June 11, 2010 at 11:54 PM

Naw, I’ll bet that because our Kenyan Communist Muslim was “mentored” by lifelong communist/pederast Frank Davis, that Obama takes a w i d e stance.

CatchAll on June 14, 2010 at 9:37 AM

My daughter, a huge Hoops and YoYo fan, laughed hysterically at this and said she wants this graduation card when she graduates from law school in a couple of years. I told her they were now only available on the black market now. No pun intended.

wytammic on June 14, 2010 at 12:14 PM

on the black market now. No pun intended

RRRRAAAACCCCIIISTTT!!! I am calling the NAACP on you !!!!!!!!

cableguy615 on June 14, 2010 at 10:31 PM

I simply wish the floods would come and we could start all over again.

HAnthonyWayne on June 14, 2010 at 10:46 PM

SilentWatcher on June 12, 2010 at 4:18 AM

Oh, stop making sense! You’ll never amount to anything in this crazy world!

smellthecoffee on June 15, 2010 at 10:30 AM