Allen: Uh, no one told me about Maine boom company

posted at 1:36 pm on June 11, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

The Obama administration continues to insist that they have full control over the Gulf oil spill, and that they are on top of all the potential solutions.  Jake Tapper just punched a big hole in that PR effort.  In an interview with Admiral Thad Allen, the man in charge of the federal effort to manage the crisis, Allen seems to have missed a big story about a Maine boom manufacturer who can’t get their phone calls returned:

TAPPER: I talked to a guy who runs a company in Maine that offers boom, and he has – he says – the ability to make 90,000 feet of boom a day. High quality. BP came there 2 weeks ago, looked at it, they are doing another audit today. He is very frustrated, he says he has a lot of high quality boom to go and it is taking a long time for BP to get its act together. Don’t you need this boom right now?

ALLEN: Oh we need all the boom wherever we can get it. If you give me the information off camera I’ll be glad to follow up.

Er, isn’t this the very information that the White House and Interior are supposed to know before we do?  Yet three days ago, Allahpundit featured not one but two videos showing the frustation of Packgen’s management that their decision to produce high-quality boom to meet the expected demand has left them with a lot of unpurchased inventory, while the oil continues its way to Gulf coastlines.  ABC also reported on Bobby Jindal’s demand for three million feet of absorbent boom material on May 24th.  No one at the White House thought to Google for a manufacturer and start calling for sales?

Maybe Obama should appoint Jake Tapper to head up the effort.  He seems to know more about what’s happening than the White House team.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

(SIGH)Welcome to my world.

flackcatcher on June 11, 2010 at 6:47 PM

No, I’m sure no one did. Bureaucrats usually are quite unaware.

Dr. ZhivBlago on June 11, 2010 at 6:58 PM

BTW the US Coast Guard Academy is the toughest Service Academy to get into.

Del Dolemonte on June 11, 2010 at 7:05 PM

Just watched ABC and the Brits are PO’d that we are putting their pensions and investment in a downturn. Stocks went down and it is all the bad press. No one is happy right now.

wi farmgirl on June 11, 2010 at 7:08 PM

Does anyone in this WH even know what a boom is ?

macncheez on June 11, 2010 at 1:56 PM

Sure. That is what happens after Michelle has chili.

Aviator on June 11, 2010 at 7:12 PM

Aviator on June 11, 2010 at 7:12 PM

Thank goodness I had yet to pour my first adult beverage for the evening before reading your comment. My keyboard and monitor are probably glad as well.

itzWicks on June 11, 2010 at 7:47 PM

Sure. That is what happens after Michelle has chili.

Aviator on June 11, 2010 at 7:12 PM

FTW

OhioCoastie on June 11, 2010 at 8:29 PM

Sure. That is what happens after Michelle has chili.

Aviator on June 11, 2010 at 7:12 PM

You made me spew diet coke all over my monitor… wicked mental image of those huge curtain-skirts of hers blowing up with that ~WHOOOMPF!~ after chili. LOL @ FLOTUS.

MsUnderestimated on June 12, 2010 at 12:28 AM

Sure. That is what happens after Michelle has chili.

Aviator on June 11, 2010 at 7:12 PM

MsUnderestimated on June 12, 2010 at 12:28 AM

Err … wouldn’t that be “FLATUS”?

I just had to go there …

LissaKay on June 12, 2010 at 1:06 AM

I very much respect this man and the job he is doing, and I don’t think knowing everything about everything is remotely indicative of competence or incompetence.

This is why people lie to the press. You admit something, and it’s used against you immediately for political purposes.

AnninCA on June 12, 2010 at 6:41 AM

Bureaucrats usually are quite unaware.

Dr. ZhivBlago on June 11, 2010 at 6:58 PM

And a hearty “AMEN” to you Dr. I spent some years as a bureaucrat. We moved up and ahead on our ability to dot “I”s, cross “T”s, and keep our files neat. We got no extra points for innovation. Interestingly, a friend sent me this video on 5/24. It had been posted weeks prior to that date.. Are these good ol’ rednecks on to something?

oldleprechaun on June 12, 2010 at 8:44 AM

AnninCA on June 12, 2010 at 6:41 AM

To paraphrase Douglas Adams: You are a total and complete kneebiter, AnninCA.

You don’t think knowing everything about everything…blah, blah.

Do you think knowing about the specifics of the emergency you have been “laser-like” focused on for the last 2 months would be good? How about having knowledge of domestic suppliers of the equipment your own regulations have required you to have on hand for the last decade might be wise?

Okaaaay. Having your incompetence commented on is reason in your mind to lie to the press? Fancy that. I’d just keep my mouth shut if in that situation. It seems to me that keeping your mouth shut would be more prudent than lying to the world.

On topic: I give the man credit for admitting that he is clueless publicly. It does not, however, raise the confidence level that anyone involved in this fiasco has clue #1 about how to resolve it.

NavyspyII on June 12, 2010 at 9:32 AM

Well, my dear, did you also say that about Bush 41? The press made the accusation against President Reagan that he was lacking in knowledge regarding an issue. Mr. Reagan responded that he didn’t necessarily need to possess the knowledge, but he did need to know who to ask to get it for him. Sort of like the story about Alert Einstein. During a conversation, it came to light that Dr. Einstein didn’t know how many feet were in a mile. Einstein’s response was that if he needed to know that, it was easy enough to discover.

oldleprechaun on June 12, 2010 at 9:50 AM

I was wondering where my respect for potus was, AnninCA has it all. I haven’t used it for quite some time.

gbear on June 12, 2010 at 1:25 PM

They can’t buy any boom from the Maine company until they find a minority owned business that they can by 10% from, regardless of cost or quality.
pedestrian on June 11, 2010 at 1:46 PM

Do you have any idea just how right you are?

First a little more detail.

Once they realize that “boom” is actually manufactured here in the USA, the they need to do a study to find out how “much boom” they need. 30 days

Next they will issue a “request” for “bids” from manufactures, starting with minority/woman owned manufactures of “boom”

If they fast tracked this they will stop taking bids after 90 days.

After that, they will evaluate the bids based on
Minority/woman owned
How many employees they have.
How many employees are minority/woman.
Status of the manufactures, are they a “start up manufacture” or are they an “established manufacture”
Note: “start up manufacture” “small business” are preferred.

If they fast tracked this, they will make a decision after 90 days.

Next will be a lot of “pomp and circumstance” as they pat themselves on the back for finding the “Right” manufacture for the boom.

At a minimum 1 week.

Next the inevitable happens and one of the manufactures that didn’t win the bid files suit, tying up the contract for who knows how long. Considering this is an emergency, we can safely assume it will be resolved within 90 days.

Depending on the outcome of the suit the contract either goes forward or is rescinded.
If it is rescinded then the whole processes starts over again.

Now here’s the kicker.

If the suit fails and the winner of the bid can now receive the money to start manufacturing the boom, another problem often pops up.

Remember the “preferred” will be a “small business, start up manufacture”?
Well, this is hard to foretell, but, most “small business start ups” of anything can’t go 6 months without a paycheck, and often fail shortly after starting the project.

Then the whole processes starts over again.

Of course the way around this C/F is for the government to award the contract to a known company that has the KSA’s, logistics and resources to hit the problem day one.

This is called a “no bid contract”, and this is the reason we have “no bid contracts”.

Will Obama award a “no bid contract” To anyone?

DSchoen on June 12, 2010 at 3:57 PM

DSchoen on June 12, 2010 at 3:57 PM

You have that T-shirt I see. Ain’t it great dealing with the Govt….and now they will doing the same for the US health care system.

Dingbat63 on June 12, 2010 at 7:21 PM

I wish I could edit my last post rather than a new one, but I’d like to emphasize that DSchoen has vividly and accurately described the govt procurement process.

Dingbat63 on June 12, 2010 at 7:26 PM

The biggest threat to the world economy is that the United States is still considered the leader of the free world. When the leader of the free world does not have a competent leader, the world doesn’t either. The laughingstock, Obuma, doesn’t garner any confidence in anyone that we can recover from the greed and corruption that got us to bankruptcy.

volsense on June 13, 2010 at 9:48 AM

Don’t tell me nobody in the Obama listens to NPR.

Christien on June 13, 2010 at 12:08 PM

Don’t tell me nobody in the Obama listens to NPR.

Christien on June 13, 2010 at 12:08 PM

They don’t be listinin’ to nobody cause the went to ivy skoolls an know it all.NPR be a public thing and is not elite radio like air merica or da bbc.You gonna confuse the narrative and mess up an unprecedented,historical visit to DIXIE, Bad on U.

Col.John Wm. Reed on June 13, 2010 at 12:29 PM

Where’s Adm. Paul Yost when we really need him?

Jonas Parker on June 13, 2010 at 2:00 PM

Public Radio broadcast its interview with Packgen at least two or three weeks ago. Don’t tell me nobody in the Obama listens to NPR. Christien on June 13, 2010 at 12:08 PM

And why were you listening to NPR? Please tell me it was opposition research :-)

Dingbat63 on June 13, 2010 at 7:14 PM