Video: NC protest turns violent; Update: video restored

posted at 10:12 am on June 10, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Maybe it’s just me, but if I’d gotten slugged in the face and my wife pushed around by a counterprotester, I don’t think I would have politely agreed to step back on the sidewalk while videotaping the man who assaulted me. Give the North Carolina protester who took one for the team some credit; Nathan Tabor handled himself extraordinarily well in upsetting circumstances. For his trouble, both Tabor and the man who mugged him, Govenor Spencer, will have to face off again, this time in court, but somehow this video tends to make me believe he’ll be just fine (via Gateway Pundit and The Right Scoop):

The local Fox News affiliate covered the story:

Tabor says they were protesting a proposed amendment that would give companies money to help with rising credit card fees. He says he was videotaping the event when Govenor Spencer, of Greensboro, approached the protest.

“About that time a gentleman walks around the corner and walks into the middle of the crowd saying it’s all George W. Bush’s fault. It’s all Dick Cheney’s fault.” Tabor said.

The video shows Spencer and at least one protester arguing. Tabor says he stopped recording as the protest began to conclude and walked over to the sidewalk where his wife and 5-year-old daughter were standing.

“As I walked around the corner this gentleman pushed me. And when he pushed me the first time I turned my camera on and brought my camera up. I said please don’t push me. And when I said that he slapped my camera.” Tabor said. “He pushes me again. In the video you can see my body fall back. And I did not say anything to him, I didn’t engage him. I was going to, until he touched me wife.”

Tabor says Spencer pushed his wife and he pushed Spencer back. The video shows Spencer then punching Tabor in the face.

In the video, Spencer is seen telling Tabor that he hit him because Tabor pushed him. Spencer denies hitting Tabor’s wife. Both men have filed assault charges against each other.

Spencer referred FOX8 to his attorney Joe Williams, who said: “We are going to deal with this in the courtroom. Mr. Tabor is going to find out that being wealthy doesn’t make a difference in a courtroom.”

Somehow, I doubt that a class-warfare defense will work in Spencer’s favor. The tape clearly shows that he initiated the confrontation, was asked to keep away and stop touching Tabor, and became even more aggressive. Maybe a little wealth-bashing is all Williams can muster in Spencer’s defense.

Update: YouTube pulled the video, but Eyeblast has it now, courtesy of The Right Scoop.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5

KinleyArdal on June 10, 2010 at 4:01 PM

okay, cool. with all the mobys and sockpuppets around, i guess i’m being a little suspicious.

we should all remember from the issue years ago when youtube was yanking malkin’s videos, that yanking a video is NOT automatic. per youtube’s reps, the flag history is reviewed and the choice is made by an employee.

eh on June 10, 2010 at 4:06 PM

Narutoboy on June 10, 2010 at 3:52 PM

You’re an imbecile.

We could put it up to a vote…who’s a bigger imbecile, you or me? Something tells me you wouldn’t like the outcome.

Hot Air isn’t even open for registration. Did I create that account knowing I would activate it however many days, months, or years later just to make a racist statement?

Trust me, kid, I know the type. A dedicated troll-flamer (of which you are a good example) initially gets multiple accounts to anything he joins. I’ve seen this behavior in the 80′s while admin’ing computer BBS’s (you know, the internet before the internet), and such trollish behavior hasn’t went away.

Needless to say, your defense is not exactly iron-clad.

Conspiracy nut.

Race-baiting child.

ynot4tony2 on June 10, 2010 at 4:10 PM

ynot4tony2 on June 10, 2010 at 4:10 PM

If we ignore it, it will go away.

Mary in LA on June 10, 2010 at 4:11 PM

Mary in LA on June 10, 2010 at 4:11 PM

If we ignore it, it will go away.

I know, I know. But it’s so fun to smack down his feeble attempts at denial…

I will try to show restraint, and stay on topic.

If my version of this video gets yanked, I’ll post the info and such here.

ynot4tony2 on June 10, 2010 at 4:15 PM

I know, I know. But it’s so fun to smack down his feeble attempts at denial…

I will try to show restraint, and stay on topic.

Thanks! I don’t quite get how that young man can sound reasonable on some threads and then let himself get completely backed into a corner on this thread when he knows he has no evidence to back up what he wrote, but I guess I should just chalk it up to immaturity. In any case, bratty behavior shouldn’t be rewarded, and any attention is a reward.

If my version of this video gets yanked, I’ll post the info and such here.

ynot4tony2 on June 10, 2010 at 4:15 PM

Sounds good!

Mary in LA on June 10, 2010 at 4:20 PM

I have edited my posting of this video so liberals searching for it will find it more easily. As I said, comments need my approval, so hopefully we can see if it’s comments or not that got the initial video yanked.

ynot4tony2 on June 10, 2010 at 4:28 PM

eh on June 10, 2010 at 4:25 PM

He gets smacked down pretty quick on those links also.

hawkdriver on June 10, 2010 at 4:32 PM

The guy who got hit was just on Cavuto….says the magistrate would not look at the video after the police had looked at it and then charged both parties. Someone “journalist” should look up Mr. Govenor Spencer and get his side of this story. How did this all come about?

d1carter on June 10, 2010 at 4:37 PM

eh on June 10, 2010 at 4:25 PM

Heh. You’re right. Had to look up “moby” (hangs head in shame)

Firefly_76 on June 10, 2010 at 4:44 PM

Hi Amy! Welcome. While you’re researching, please research other threads as well where he railed against Sotherners, Christians, etc. One thread does not a history make. Thanks!

kingsjester on June 10, 2010 at 4:48 PM

kingsjester on June 10, 2010 at 4:48 PM

Do you think this is a drivethrough? “Two burgers, some fries, check on this commenter, and I’ll pass on paying…”

Bradky on June 10, 2010 at 4:55 PM

ynot4tony2 on June 10, 2010 at 4:10 PM

You’re a conspiracy nut like I said. The comment came barely a minute after I made mine where I talked about injecting race into the conversation. But I guess I already had the plan in motion, had both of the posts made, logged into both accounts, and made sure to post them back to back. You remind me of a 9/11 Truther.

Narutoboy on June 10, 2010 at 4:57 PM

Bradky on June 10, 2010 at 4:55 PM

Hi, Skippy!

kingsjester on June 10, 2010 at 4:57 PM

Bradky on June 10, 2010 at 4:55 PM

Haven’t you had enough, andre?

Lanceman on June 10, 2010 at 5:01 PM

kingsjester on June 10, 2010 at 4:48 PM

The insult to hawkdriver was not only sickening, it was based on neither evidence nor logic. A wise poster would apologize. However, the Troll In Question has repeatedly refused to do so.

In the absence of a ban, we can simply ignore the TIQ. I think that’s the most productive thing to do at this point.

Mary in LA on June 10, 2010 at 5:02 PM

We really need to work on our protests. That one just seemed blah. We should attend one of those violent, hate filled tea party protests….you know the ones waving the American flag and saying the pledge of allegiance.

tommer74 on June 10, 2010 at 5:10 PM

ynot4tony2 on June 10, 2010 at 4:10 PM

Which makes it all the more suspect, genius. (Hey everyone, is there an emoticon of someone rolling their eyes so far back that they fall out of their head? Yeah…I need one of those now.)

Again, you’re not presenting an iron-clad defense. Just digging that hole even deeper.

ynot4tony2 on June 10, 2010 at 5:13 PM

I hear the video was not allowed as evidence, the charges against Spencer were dropped, those against Tabor? not so much.

agmartin on June 10, 2010 at 5:13 PM

Doh! I was quoting the child, and accidentally cut my name into the reply.

ynot4tony2 on June 10, 2010 at 5:14 PM

agmartin on June 10, 2010 at 5:13 PM

What?!?! That’s outrageous!
Got link to this travesty?

Mary in LA on June 10, 2010 at 5:16 PM

Doh! I was quoting the child, and accidentally cut my name into the reply.

ynot4tony2 on June 10, 2010 at 5:14 PM

So quit responding, then you won’t have that problem!
:-)

Mary in LA on June 10, 2010 at 5:17 PM

And for the rest of you, don’t get your undies in a wad. If you want to be serious, be serious and ignore the anti-wisconsonians.

Amy Ritter on June 10, 2010 at 1:40 PM

My undies are definately unwadded. I just didn’t think that accusations of our servicemen belonging to the KKK counted as adding “zest” to the site.

I would hope that kind of thing would be discouraged if not publically, at least in e-mails to the offender.

DrAllecon on June 10, 2010 at 1:54 PM

Amy, have you been here when people were banned for calling Michelle Obama a name? It was not any more vile that calling Hawk a member of the KKK. People are not allowed to mention a certain word the the Founding Fathers promoted, but you can call someone a vile name like that? A member of our fighting forces that put his life on the line over and over? Something is wrong with your thinking–I think. I am disappointed that you have reached your conclusion, and I can only hope that you will keep a close eye on this situation.
You may have noticed, or maybe not, but the commenters of old have disappeared, as I did for awhile in disgust. Some trolls are fun, some are vile. It is a disservice to this site to allow the likes of some trolls to dominate the threads.
I miss Mitchelle M.

lovingmyUSA on June 10, 2010 at 5:18 PM

Noticing that all the MSM outlets, CNN, NBC, CBS, ABC, PB (too early for the print media) are giving this wall-to-wall coverage and standing firmly on Nathan’s side for defending himself and his wife.

Sure.

waterfall on June 10, 2010 at 5:36 PM

And for people wondering what race has to do with this incident, perhaps Govenor’s motivations should be examined. According to Gateway Pundit, Govenor is a black liberation activist, and the black liberation flag can be seen on a bumper sticker of his car in the video in question.

So, there is potentially a race angle at play here.

ynot4tony2 on June 10, 2010 at 5:44 PM

Count me as an “aye” vote for banning Narutoboy. I don’t recall that I’ve ever responded to any of his posts, but if I have, I will never do so again. If, after all our pleas, the management still refuses to ban him, I’ll just ignore him, and I encourage everyone else to do so, too.

Mary in LA on June 10, 2010 at 2:11 PM

Count me also, and Mary, I think, as the Amish do, that we should “shun” him when he comes on. From now on, when he makes a comment, I will have one word–”SHUN”.

lovingmyUSA on June 10, 2010 at 5:50 PM

the google search string looks like this:

“username on” site:hotair.com

eh on June 10, 2010 at 5:54 PM

What?!?! That’s outrageous!
Got link to this travesty?

Mary in LA on June 10, 2010 at 5:16 PM

Not yet, my mom said she heard that while Tabor was being interviewed on Cavuto.

agmartin on June 10, 2010 at 5:56 PM

lovingmyUSA on June 10, 2010 at 5:50 PM

Actually, I envision something like the treatment Stan gets in this clip. Skip to the 1:30 or so mark to see what I mean.

CONTENT WARNING: The on-line clips of South Park are not edited. F-bombs present.

ynot4tony2 on June 10, 2010 at 6:06 PM

Should have hit “preview”, not submit. Too confident in my HTML abilities, I suppose.

Anywho, I meant this clip

ynot4tony2 on June 10, 2010 at 6:06 PM

I guess that protester got in their faces like his boss told him too.

CWforFreedom on June 10, 2010 at 6:10 PM

Narutoboy on June 10, 2010

You’re a moby that is clear. I say ban ya for that and the fact that to date you still have not said anything with substance.

ahahhahhahahahahahahha

CWforFreedom on June 10, 2010 at 6:15 PM

eh on June 10, 2010 at 5:54 PM

Thanks.

Gang-of-One on June 10, 2010 at 6:17 PM

If anyone’s highjacking the thread its the three stooges bantering about smacking each other with food items :) Once again, dysfunctional family.

Amy Ritter on June 10, 2010 at 1:40 PM

I agree. Lutefisk should be banned. Anyone second?

John Deaux on June 10, 2010 at 6:24 PM

I agree. Lutefisk should be banned. Anyone second?

John Deaux on June 10, 2010 at 6:24 PM

I agree. Lutefisk is why my Mom’s family emmigrated from Norway. You don’t even have to try it, just looking at it is enough to justify a ban.

JusDreamin on June 10, 2010 at 6:30 PM

lovingmyUSA on June 10, 2010 at 5:18 PM

That was pretty well explained! Where is Omaha Con?

Dire Straits on June 10, 2010 at 7:02 PM

Could you imagine the coverage if the race and ideology had been reversed. This clip would have been running on a loop on all three cable networks.

chief on June 10, 2010 at 10:46 AM

The hand-in-glove Obama media would be going berserk. They’d be running it as the lead story on all the nightly newscasts. That’s why the victim knew he couldn’t hit back. Everyone knows the media would spin it as Evil Whitey militia violence no matter what the circumstances.

No one in the mainstream media (outside of Fox) would defend a Tea Partier from violence. They might tut-tut about it in public but privately I don’t doubt they relish it. American media today is in the tradition of Soviet-era Pravda and Germany’s Der Sturmer.

Django on June 10, 2010 at 7:03 PM

That was pretty well explained! Where is Omaha Con?

Dire Straits on June 10, 2010 at 7:02 PM

Ummm, in Omaha?
That’s in Nebraska. :)

Lanceman on June 10, 2010 at 7:04 PM

Surprise. He’s black.

/sarc

metric on June 10, 2010 at 7:15 PM

From now on, when he makes a comment, I will have one word–”SHUN”.

lovingmyUSA on June 10, 2010 at 5:50 PM

I can hang with that. :-)

As I noted elsewhere, I don’t get this guy. Sometimes he seems reasonable, sometimes he’s completely out in left field. And his insulting was asinine. It takes a grownup to admit he’s wrong, and the little fella just isn’t there yet. So I second your mo-SHUN.

Mary in LA on June 10, 2010 at 7:19 PM

Ummm, in Omaha?
That’s in Nebraska. :)

Lanceman on June 10, 2010 at 7:04 PM

Thanks for the geography lesson smarty pants! I can take that from a good poster! :)

Dire Straits on June 10, 2010 at 7:23 PM

Dire Straits on June 10, 2010 at 7:23 PM

Sorry. Naruto and Jimbo have gotten into my brain wiring today.

Lanceman on June 10, 2010 at 7:32 PM

When do we get the press conference where Obama tells us Mr. Tabor “acted stupidly”?

olesparkie on June 10, 2010 at 10:38 AM

I hear there will be a beer summit next week/

Liberty or Death on June 10, 2010 at 7:45 PM

Honestly, the woman who engaged is as much responsible as the agitator.

What’s wrong with people.

AnninCA on June 10, 2010 at 10:32 AM

So because she was exercising her right to free speech in a passionate manner according to you she was asking for it?

We all get passionate about the issues we believe in and we have the right to express our opinions without the threat of intimidation and/or violence yet in watching the video it was clear Spencer’s intention was to intimidate and/or incite violence, he was looking for a fight and if you believe otherwise you are naive.

It’s clear Mr. Spencer instigated the move from a verbal debate to a physical altercation when he started pushing people including Mr. Tabor and his wife and swatting at Mr. Tabor’s camera. At that point Mr. Tabor was well within his rights to defend his wife and himself.

So once again I am suspect of AnninCA’s logic and honesty here; did she actually watch the same video as I did or is she so blinded by her ideology that even after watching the same video she somehow still believes Mr. Tabor was in the wrong and the women (whom by the way wasn’t even Tabor’s wife that WAS shoved by Mr. Spencer) ASKED FOR IT because she was exercising her right to free speech and assembly?

This has nothing to do with race, me personally I follow Doctor King’s philosophy that a man is to be judged by the content of his charater and not the color of his skin and therefore it is my opinion based on the video that it is Mr. Spencer’s character that is questionable here, not Mr. Tabor’s!

Liberty or Death on June 10, 2010 at 8:04 PM

The leftists are the true danger here. When one of them attacks you physically you should defend yourself. The next time your attacker may be armed and talk will do you no good whatsoever. No need to be injured when you are in the right and under attack. One individual who tells the truth is worth countless leftist thugs. This is reality. Better to turn to the Old Testament in times of the violent thug aggressor. I say this regardless of your religion or non religion or philosophy.

Yeah, and the islamists are violent thugs as well . . . . if we can wake up, America, we will deal with all of these threats in the appropriate manner. No more nicey nicey and talky talky. It carries no weight with the other. And moreover communicates weakness not tolerance . . . .

Sherman1864 on June 10, 2010 at 8:17 PM

ynot4tony2 on June 10, 2010 at 5:13 PM

You’re a dunce. A post being made a minute after mine is not proof that I made it, you imbecile.

Narutoboy on June 10, 2010 at 9:11 PM

If they (Commies) are serious with all their talk, they’d gather and weigh into several of these protests around the country on the same day. Many people would be hesitant to show up after that.

If that’s what they are thinking, or even if they’re not, folks need to be wary at these events and get a police officer at the first sign of trouble.

Dr. ZhivBlago on June 11, 2010 at 12:09 AM

Lou Malnotti’s

Lanceman on June 10, 2010 at 1:10 PM

Lou Malnati’s.
Never been there. Potbelly’s good -as is Al’s Beef and Portillos.
Chicago: we suck at everything but eats.

annoyinglittletwerp on June 11, 2010 at 12:54 AM

If you refuse to accept that basic concept, you lose my respect.

AnninCA on June 10, 2010 at 10:37 AM

Somehow I don’t think that is going to go down in history with the Shot Heard Around the World.

Tav on June 11, 2010 at 3:02 AM

Blame Obama He uses physical treats and verbally suggests attacks. He verbalized a physical threat on BP.

seven on June 11, 2010 at 9:50 AM

Narutoboy on June 10, 2010 at 9:11 PM

I never said it was “proof”. I’m guessing reading comprehension isn’t your strong suit…yet you call me “dunce” and “imbecile”? Irony, thy name is Narutoboy.

ynot4tony2 on June 11, 2010 at 10:37 AM

For all of those which re-posted the video, let me issue this warning:

A new user on youtube (just created his account this morning) with a racially offensive name tried to post a vile, racist comment on my video. Fortunately, I required approval for all comments and therefore am the only one to see his hate.

However, this putrid troll went around making similar comments on four other instances of this video. Obviously a liberal operative, using the same tactics to get the video pulled that got the original pulled.

Screen your comments (go into your videos, select edit, and you can make the change there). And, check existing comments and remove the racist ones…

ynot4tony2 on June 11, 2010 at 10:40 AM

I think the proper conclusion is that Ann did not watch the video at all.

KinleyArdal on June 11, 2010 at 11:30 AM