Video: The obligatory “Carly Fiorina caught on open mic” video

posted at 6:16 pm on June 9, 2010 by Allahpundit

CNN’s got it, Breitbart.tv has already posted it, so it should be viral within an hour or so. It’s a small comfort to know that here, unlike with her gaffes during campaign 2008, she didn’t know the mic was on when she started yapping. (Memo to Carly: The mic is always on.) Nothing too terrible results, thankfully: There’s a cheap laugh near the end about how awful Barbara Boxer’s hair is, but most of the clip is consumed with her wondering aloud why Meg Whitman would start the general election in a blue state by appearing on the show of stalwart righty Sean Hannity. Which … is a fair question, actually. But then Fiorina says, “Sean Hannity is not an easy interview.” Really? For a Republican candidate?

She’s also wrong about Whitman never having appeared before on Sean’s show, but that’s neither here nor there. Exit question: On a scale of one to 10, where does this rate on the gaffe-o-meter?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Lourdes on June 9, 2010 at 6:51 PM
Lourdes on June 9, 2010 at 6:52 PM
Lourdes on June 9, 2010 at 6:56 PM
My point there ^^ is to be aware of the “media out to get ya’” from the Left thing and don’t be such an easy mark.

Lourdes on June 9, 2010 at 6:58 PM

Can’t you go find a nice Mitt Romney blog and just go away?

upinak on June 9, 2010 at 7:00 PM

Yeah, a Pub makes light of cheeseburgers and someone’s hair style and a lib uses the “N” word during an interview (Senator Byrd anyone?). Which one will the media try to make an issue?

JellyToast on June 9, 2010 at 7:00 PM

I think Carly knew the mic was on

unseen on June 9, 2010 at 7:03 PM

Which is why she was “bald” and nearly bald in earlier photos and appearances.

Lourdes on June 9, 2010 at 7:00 PM

The earliest I can remember was short hair, not bald. I assumed she was a ‘feminist’. California politics does not really interest me because it will never change.
I have gotten my hopes up about that state one too many times.

Lanceman on June 9, 2010 at 7:03 PM

Come on folks. See was on CNN and she knew it. The Shawn Hannity quip suckered them in and then at the end made them pucker. Now Shawn owes her one. The rest was girls in the beauty shop talk.

meci on June 9, 2010 at 7:04 PM

Hair is after all, a big f’ing deal..

Zippy_Slug on June 9, 2010 at 6:23 PM

esp when like Carly you lost all of uyours to cancer treatment. somethings become mor eimportant due to life changes.

unseen on June 9, 2010 at 7:04 PM

Lanceman on June 9, 2010 at 7:03 PM

Don’t forget Reagan was a California politician. California politics did change (for the worse). Can it change back? That is the question.

Disturb the Universe on June 9, 2010 at 7:07 PM

Disturb the Universe on June 9, 2010 at 7:07 PM

So was Nixon.
And, no, I think it’s too far gone. That goes for the entire west coast. The liberal enclaves decide elections.
Like Philadelphia in Pennsylvania.

Lanceman on June 9, 2010 at 7:09 PM

Nope… didn’t think you knew. You can’t color hair when you have been in treatment or it WILL fall out.

upinak on June 9, 2010 at 6:50 PM

No I did not know that, BTW I was actually defending her in my own ignorant SoCal style, I stand educated,
Bob

Bobnormal on June 9, 2010 at 7:11 PM

My friend who went through chemo and a bone marrow transplant lost all his hair in the process — even eyebrows, beard, and body hair. (I didn’t look there, and he didn’t show me, but I suspect the short ‘n’ curlies fell out, too.)
He had a great attitude about it — called it his “supervillain look”.

Good news: He’s been pronounced cured, though he’ll always have to deal with immunosuppression and anti-rejection drugs. And his hair has grown back, what I can see of it, anyway. :-)

So I have to say that Carly’s “do” looks pretty impressive, considering.

Mary in LA on June 9, 2010 at 7:15 PM

Like Philadelphia in Pennsylvania.

Lanceman on June 9, 2010 at 7:09 PM

All it would take to save CA would be legislation like AZ’s. Our pols will never pass it, but our goofy initiative process might. We did it once before (Prop 187).

Mary in LA on June 9, 2010 at 7:17 PM

I like Boxer’s hair…crap…what timezone am i in?

poppieseeds on June 9, 2010 at 7:17 PM

I’m not saying that all of CA’s problems are due to illegal aliens — that’s hardly true or fair! — but just a few percent less obligate Democrats would be enough to turn the tide in the state legislature. The much-reviled Governator did try to be a real Republican his first year in office, but the entrenched interests in Sacto shot him down.

Mary in LA on June 9, 2010 at 7:19 PM

“Sean Hannity is not an easy interview.”

In what universe?

YYZ on June 9, 2010 at 7:19 PM

At least she did not say she was going to cut Obams’s balls off.

WoosterOh on June 9, 2010 at 7:20 PM

Now that Edwards video was hysterical! Remember he was furiously trying to find his brush.

sandee on June 9, 2010 at 6:55 PM

And yet it took the love-child fiasco for the media to realize what a phony the guy actually is. Watch that video and you can’t come away thinking there was any substance there whatsoever.

nico on June 9, 2010 at 7:22 PM

I always knew that her supposed intellect, competence and conservative leanings were vastly over-rated, and that…. But until I listened to this clip, I had not realized how vapid she is as well.

On the ‘gaffe-o-meter’ I give this a mere 0.5

On the ‘clueless-o-meter’ it gets a 9.2

LegendHasIt on June 9, 2010 at 7:24 PM

ZERO

What a waste of time watching this. It’s idle chit chat before an interview. There’s no gaffe here at all.

Yes, the mic is always on. I think she knew that, she didn’t say anything that indicated she thought it was off and was “speaking the truth” to her close friends.

This is a non issue …

DaveCal on June 9, 2010 at 6:26 PM

Word…

RalphyBoy on June 9, 2010 at 7:26 PM

Why would Cate Blanchett go on Inside the Actor’s Studio?

That is not an easy interview.

YYZ on June 9, 2010 at 7:27 PM

Meh. I say worse things chitchatting with our customers. Looks like they were going for a “gotcha” moment and failed miserably. I wonder who made the decision to release it. It’s going to make future guests on both sides a bit leery.

GinaE on June 9, 2010 at 7:28 PM

LegendHasIt on June 9, 2010 at 7:24 PM

Maybe so, maybe not, but I’d rather have the most air-headed Valley Girl who ever snapped her gum as my Governor than “Moonbeam II: The Hippie Strikes Back.” I lived through Moonbeam I. Trust me on this.

Mary in LA on June 9, 2010 at 7:29 PM

Boring… I was hoping for some juicy stuff.This should be a warning to all Republicans running for office. The MSM is going to do any and everything it can to defeat you. No matter what it takes. Be on guard.
sandee on June 9, 2010 at 6:51 PM

+1 That is all I see here, be on guard US conservatives.

saus on June 9, 2010 at 7:29 PM

But is she wearing a padded bra?

pedestrian on June 9, 2010 at 7:30 PM

WoosterOh on June 9, 2010 at 7:20 PM

Can’t cut off what’s not there…
:-P

Mary in LA on June 9, 2010 at 7:31 PM

This is a story?

Narutoboy on June 9, 2010 at 7:35 PM

This rates a zero on the gaffe meter.

And Hannity might be a tough interview because he rarely lets his guest finish their answer before he interrupts them.

LASue on June 9, 2010 at 7:35 PM

Mary in LA on June 9, 2010 at 7:29 PM

She is running for Senate, not Governor.
But even if it were Meg Whitman, the only reason to vote for either of those liberals in RINO suits is the absolutely execrableness of the democrat candidates.

LegendHasIt on June 9, 2010 at 7:35 PM

Asking the choir if this is damaging is silly. People here could have heard her plotting to assassinate Boxer and see no problem with it. What matters is what the people who aren’t rabid partisan and political junkies think. This will especially rub some women the wrong way. It immediately made me see her as shallow but then Boxer is probably shallow as well.

fastestslug on June 9, 2010 at 7:36 PM

On a scale of 1 to 10 I would rate this in something close to 1 range. What gaffe? It comes across like maybe making fun of Edwards’ hair.

I think what is says is that the interview apparently starts as soon as you walk into the studio staffers will release ANYTHING you say (I am waiting for fart tapes next) on the net.

I think it basically shows a lack of class and discretion by the staff at the studio.

crosspatch on June 9, 2010 at 7:40 PM

She’s talking about Boxer’s hair when she has that dirty dishwater hair on her head? I’m sorry but she needs some highlights. Her hair color is drab and ugly.

ramrants on June 9, 2010 at 6:31 PM

Classy. Anyone else any more *hilarious* breast cancer jokes, or do you just want to stick with the OMGrino!11!! jokes?

This place is rapidly becoming the dailykos of the right. Hate hate hate

NoStoppingUs on June 9, 2010 at 7:41 PM

fastestslug on June 9, 2010 at 7:36 PM

Bull. There is nothing here, that’s why nobody has a problem with it. I want my three minutes or whatever back. All I heard was talk of cheeseburgers, Sean Hannity, and a crack about hair (and apparently this was a RESPONSE to criticism of hers). And you somehow think this warrants an example about Boxer being assas….you know the rest. My God.

Narutoboy on June 9, 2010 at 7:47 PM

0-10 with zero being nothing and 10 being catastrophic….its a big fat zero. Actually, its probably going to help her!
1. Lefties will portray it as her criticizing Sean Hannity (which she wasnt doing) which will help her with independents and others who dont like conservatives, and
2. she gets caught unawares, and lo and behold, she seems pretty likable and very much the same person she is when she knows shes being taped. That’s called being real and it plays well with most voters.

American Elephant on June 9, 2010 at 7:47 PM

“This place is rapidly becoming the dailykos of the right. Hate hate hate”

Yeah, I noticed that right after I started hearing ads for Hot Air on a radio station in the San Francisco area that isn’t even a conservative talk station (it was several years ago but changed its format to business radio over 2 years ago).

crosspatch on June 9, 2010 at 7:51 PM

She is running for Senate, not Governor.

Yes, you’re right, of course she is. I guess the airhead in the room is… me!

LegendHasIt on June 9, 2010 at 7:35 PM

You are correct. This is about as good as we’re going to get, unless California’s economy collapses completely.

Mary in LA on June 9, 2010 at 7:53 PM

Narutoboy on June 9, 2010 at 7:47 PM

Since you are positive of how everyone in the state of California would feel about this, I guess it is no problem for her.

fastestslug on June 9, 2010 at 7:56 PM

Lourdes on June 9, 2010 at 6:58 PM

Can’t you go find a nice Mitt Romney blog and just go away?

upinak on June 9, 2010 at 7:00 PM

I’m sorry all your balls have got you down.

I don’t hate Romney like you and your guys do.

I think there’s room for people who help win elections the right way in the GOP and I think Romney’s among them.

I may be wrong, I realize, but I don’t feel hate toward the man like you do.

So go play with your balls again and stop being such an arse.

Lourdes on June 9, 2010 at 8:07 PM

Anyone else any more *hilarious* breast cancer jokes

Making a disparaging comment about someone’s hair isn’t about breast cancer unless you know the person has(had) breast cancer. If you don’t know about the cancer, the comment about the hair is… about the hair.

And I have Absolute Moral Authority on this subject; my mother died of breast cancer.

OK, technically it was from “complications”. What color ribbon is it for “complications”?

The Monster on June 9, 2010 at 8:09 PM

I have gotten my hopes up about that state one too many times.

Lanceman on June 9, 2010 at 7:03 PM

She was as close to bald as anyone could be from the earlier photos. It’s rather refreshing, though, that she didn’t make those “near hairless” appearances and make a statement about why she was so (didn’t lapse into her medical story).

Yes, I realize that short to very short hair on females is still judged as being “macho” — shame that it is but such as it is.

Lourdes on June 9, 2010 at 8:10 PM

Go Carly go. She’s an R so I’m for her. She’s not a tea party 10 but she’s a damn sight better than her opposition.

Mojave Mark on June 9, 2010 at 8:11 PM

upinak on June 9, 2010 at 7:00 PM

Hey, upinak: Mitt Romney!

Now go boil an egg.

Lourdes on June 9, 2010 at 8:12 PM

much ado about nothing, and more importantly where’s the gaffe…She was surprised that Meg would choose to go on Hannity (and so was I) and she said it out loud, big deal, am sure she’d have no problem asking Meg that question directly. It is a bizarre choice for Meg indeed, she was criticized during her campaign that her appereances were too ‘scripted’ and she interacted very little with the media, she refused interviews with main media outlets and even appearing on Fox News. And all of a sudden she chooses to go with Hannity for her first interview, Hannity of all people…and I am not saying that he is a tough interviewer (he’s not, in any way that makes sense) what I am saying is that he’s perceived as very partisan and sometimes he can embarass actually the interlocutor precisely because he is repetitive, biased and too enthusiastically showing said bias :-), and let’s admit he’s not a great mind either…so, I think this is what Carly meant by ‘difficult’, more like a little awkward and ‘embarassing’ for Meg to appear with Hannity for her first big interview, and the fact that it would do more of a diservice to Meg than help…and she is actually somewhat right about it…

jimver on June 9, 2010 at 8:13 PM

Mojave Mark on June 9, 2010 at 8:11 PM

Yeah, my sentiments, exactly. I wasn’t for her a while ago — positions — but I’d really enjoy clearing Boxer out of the Senate and California at least deserves a non-Boxer environment for a change. It really needs to start clearing these people out or else all hope is lost for the place.

Lourdes on June 9, 2010 at 8:13 PM

On a scale of one to 10, where does this rate on the gaffe-o-meter?

Zzzzzzz…

Okay… the hair comment did make me laugh but honestly… it’s a lot less catty than those “planet of the apes” comments that Feinstein used to get.

The Ugly American on June 9, 2010 at 8:17 PM

Why should anyone
Be interviewed by these guys
Who can’t be trusted?

Haiku Guy on June 9, 2010 at 8:17 PM

Fiorina says, “Sean Hannity is not an easy interview.”

A nice way of saying that he can sometimes be a bit of a blowhard.

The Ugly American on June 9, 2010 at 8:20 PM

She still has better hair than John Edwards…. the Original Breck Girl.

Key West Reader on June 9, 2010 at 8:23 PM

Haiku Guy on June 9, 2010 at 8:17 PM

That punk, Bradky I think, was tryin’ to steal your bit the other day.

Lanceman on June 9, 2010 at 8:26 PM

Hannity is a difficult interview for Fiorina and Whitman because they need to thread the needle, not just with what they say but in managing how Hannity responds. They need the support of Hannity’s conservative listeners, but they don’t want to be seen as right-wing.
Also, this clip should send a little shiver right up Babs’ back.

motionview on June 9, 2010 at 8:27 PM

A nice way of saying that he can sometimes be a bit of a blowhard.

The Ugly American on June 9, 2010 at 8:20 PM

exactly, she didn’t really want to say something nasty about Hannity and she went with ‘not easy’/'difficult’…that was exactly my perception of the whole thing…

jimver on June 9, 2010 at 8:29 PM

Not a big fan of Fiorina, but this says more about leftists and their desperation than anything bad about Carly.

If she’d said something like “oh, that (R) thingy after my name? Yeah, right; hahahahaha!!!” That would’ve been interesting.

Feedie on June 9, 2010 at 8:34 PM

Too mundane and boring to be a gaffe. I will never get that time back.

echosyst on June 9, 2010 at 8:37 PM

They just played this “Breaking News” on Olbermann’s show and went “Oooh! Oooh! Oooh!……..uhm……” and had no idea what to do with it. Yawn.

Marcus on June 9, 2010 at 8:42 PM

Most people will fall asleep before the end. it’s a 1 at best.

katablog.com on June 9, 2010 at 9:01 PM

Fiorina is an idiot.

Andy in Agoura Hills on June 9, 2010 at 6:24 PM

..she was just caught on an open mic again and she said she thought you were an idiot too!

The War Planner on June 9, 2010 at 9:37 PM

At least she did not say she was going to cut Obams’s balls off.

WoosterOh on June 9, 2010 at 7:20 PM

I think that ship has already sailed.

jdflorida on June 9, 2010 at 10:18 PM

Hannity is a tough interview because the man is annoying. I agree with him politically, but I can’t stand his personality.

And Boxer’s hair is funny looking.

Sooo.. this ranks a good solid 0 on my gaffe-o-meter.

bitsy on June 9, 2010 at 10:24 PM

There’s a gaffe in this? This isn’t even news.

Alfresco on June 9, 2010 at 10:37 PM

I rate it at 0.01.

devolvingtowardsidiocracy on June 9, 2010 at 10:39 PM

At least she did not say she was going to cut Obams’s balls off.

WoosterOh on June 9, 2010 at 7:20 PM

Amen. I can’t believe ANYONE’S making a big deal out of this hot-mic situation. She said NOTHING outrageous. Not like she pulled an O’Reilly or anything, ya know? You watch… this is just the beginning of ripping GOP women apart for ANYTHING! If Carly hadn’t had cancer, they’d probably go after her hair or how much she spends on her clothes.

*sigh*… the predictability of the MSM is lame.

MsUnderestimated on June 9, 2010 at 10:41 PM

Tweaking.

Inanemergencydial on June 9, 2010 at 10:42 PM

SHOCKING!!!!

justltl on June 9, 2010 at 10:55 PM

I mean, c’mon, no candidate can survive after appearing in a steamy group pron scene like that!

justltl on June 9, 2010 at 11:09 PM

Oops.
Musta clicked on the wrong window.
Well color me embarassed.

Carry on.

justltl on June 9, 2010 at 11:11 PM

I’m as conservative as a guy can be, and I don’t trust Fiorina. She’s a RINO “Boxer” just as much as Whitman is a RINO “Schwartzeneger” They may have an R behind their names but they’re both as socially and financially liberal as you can get.

I know, I know ‘da Governator” is republican but notice the small R. He’s a RINO. I know……. I live here!

Whitman will be just as bad as Ahnold, and Grey Davis and Jerry (Moonbeam) Brown! We’ll still have sanctuary cities, and overloaded ER’s and illegal’s getting free tuition to our colleges!

Can you tell that I’m really ticked over this election?

Vntnrse on June 9, 2010 at 11:56 PM

In addition, Fiorina will be as bad as Boxer has ever been!

Vntnrse on June 9, 2010 at 11:58 PM

This doesnt even make “Ladies at a beauty shop” talk. That can get R rated and way past catty within minutes. I’ve heard so many indepth sex tales, cheating scandals, you name it. I myself, wouldn’t last a full day with a hot mic if I was a pol. Youtube would be blow’d up.

di butler on June 10, 2010 at 12:32 AM

The War Planner on June 9, 2010 at 9:37 PM

lol, nice.

macblanegirl on June 10, 2010 at 1:23 AM

This just proves that Sarah was WRONG all along. Fiorina=McCain. Now you Palin lovers can say what you will. She’s not wanting to vote in Conservatives just “Republicans”. Now that this gals have won, they don’t need to pretend to be Conservatives. They can be themselves. That means they can be Liberal and show their distaste for Conservatives in the examples of Hannity or Rush or Levin or….

Sultry Beauty on June 10, 2010 at 2:18 AM

Maybe the shock is that we see an aspiring politician being a human being.

deewhybee on June 10, 2010 at 3:32 AM

Phony “gaffes” and criticizing bra sizes. Yep, this is where media has degenerated to.

V-rod on June 10, 2010 at 3:33 AM

What is all the fuss about? She made a joke about her hair??

Dollayo on June 10, 2010 at 4:27 AM

Hannity is a tough interview for Republicans because he pretty much gives his opinion and then asks whoever he is interviewing to agree with him. Sean is also extremely inarticulate so it can be tough to watch him interview anyone. He asks very long winded questions that really aren’t questions. His studio interviews aren’t so bad, but remote interviews are sometimes painful to watch.

I like the guy, but he’s not real good at TV. Watch him try to read the Teleprompter. For someone who has been on TV as long as he has, you’d think he be better at it by now.

Jaynie59 on June 10, 2010 at 8:48 AM

gaffe o meter maybe 2 on the 1-10 scale

jpmn on June 10, 2010 at 10:44 AM

So here we have allahpundit slamming Hannity’s interviewing skills. I got news for you allahpundit, you are no Sean Hannity!

And the real point of this video is actually WHO released it? Clearly, there is a political attack by a supposedly impartial CNN news team at the root of this. What kind of a ‘news’ team releases make-up and sound checks?

CNN is simply a tool of the Democratic Party and they should be forced to admit this connection every minute of every day with a clearly visable disclaimer on their programming!

Freddy on June 10, 2010 at 2:00 PM

Endearing Quality!

Worth beaucoup VOTES!

As a DeVore supporter,
was not to hot on her before.

Now, believe she’ll be OK!

Boxer must be floored over the hair attack!

And Hannity’s gotta love the PR bonanza!
Go get’em all Carly girl!

“Let’s Roll”

On Watch on June 10, 2010 at 2:45 PM

She’s a dimwit. Anyone in any studio with mics who says anything dumb like this is just a dummy. Sorry, but most mics are ON all the time…it’s just a matter of them being potted up or not, and you can pot up a mic without anyone noticing.

It might not be a big deal, but good god, why are all of these people so stupid? It’s as if they’re clueless to teh fact that the media will pick these items up and bash them with it. Politics Daily has a story running in my facebook feed from a few mins ago. It’s here, it’s everywhere. It makes her look petty, and no doubt she will lose votes for this (whether that’s justified or not, it’s true).

I guess she wasn’t content with running HP into the ground, she’s decided to run her longshot campaign into the ground as well?

TheBlueSite on June 10, 2010 at 4:56 PM