Obamateurism of the Day; Update: Some kick-ass Photoshops added

posted at 8:05 am on June 9, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

By popular demand, I decided to feature a real kick-ass OOTD this morning. The White House has gotten more and more desperate to have Barack Obama perceived as emotionally engaged in the Gulf oil spill, which is itself a mistake. The American public wants to see Obama more substantively engaged. Instead of that, though, we get the amateurish, middle-school version of “engagement” in this interview with Matt Lauer on NBC’s Today show:

I don’t sit around just talking to experts because this is a college seminar. We talk to these folks because they potentially have the best answers so I know whose ass to kick.

“Whose ass to kick”?  What an utterly impotent statement.  Obama hasn’t even bothered to call BP’s CEO to kick a little ass where it might arguably count.  He’s standing on Gulf beaches making jokes about tar balls in bathing suits.  He has literally spent more days and more time on the golf course than in the Gulf region.  He hasn’t been in 1000-leg’s distance of anyone’s ass for almost the entirety of this disaster.

Erick Erickson wonders why Obama is so focused on his drop-kicking skills when he should be focused on solving the problem instead:

He is talking to experts not to find out how to solve the problem but to find out whose ass to kick? Seriously? …

And in the President of the United States own words, he’s not talking to experts to figure out how to solve the problem, but to figure out who to assign blame to.

This is not leadership. Heck, this isn’t even bullying.

This is failure.

Speaking of leadership, one e-mailer (whose name I have since lost — my apologies) made a very good point about ass-kicking.  One has to be behind the people doing the work to kick their ass, not in front leading them to their objective.

Meanwhile, this costume is likely going to be very popular in October for a whole new set of reasons:

We need someone with good Photoshop skills to make this one work for Captain Kickass, as Allahpundit hilariously dubbed Obama.

Update: Stephen Macklin comes through:

Update II: So does HA commenter Sideout:

And Mike M:

And TPitman:

These are great, folks!

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

think Obambi is more like Invisible Boy in the movie “Mystery Men”. He was the one whose only super power was that he could become invisible, but only if nobody was watching him – and he couldn’t even watch himself.

Pretty damn impotent, as far as super powers goes.

DuctTapeMyBrain on June 9, 2010 at 8:13 AM

Maybe a little OT, but becoming invisible was Bilbo Baggins’ only “super power” in J. R. R. Tolkein’s “The Hobbit”, but he used it to great effect, as the invisible “burglar” who could be trusted to only steal for the right reasons.

But if Obama was really talking to experts to find out whose ass to kick, why didn’t he boot some bureaucratic butt to get containment booms in place BEFORE the slick reached the marshlands? Why didn’t he kick some ass at the EPA to get a fast-track permit for building sand bars to protect the marshes, as Gov. Jindal asked? Why didn’t he mobilize the Coast Guard and the National Guard (as Bush did after Katrina) to use their resources to protect the beaches, or is Cap’n Kickass still stuck on stupid? How much BP ass has he kicked lately?

Let’s kick some ass this November–now the ass is the symbol of which party?

Steve Z on June 9, 2010 at 11:10 AM

Syndrome

BobMbx on June 9, 2010 at 11:14 AM

Question: has an incumbent ever lost the democratic nomination? Is there any chance he won’t be on the ballot in 2012?

ProfessorMiao on June 9, 2010 at 11:21 AM

ProfessorMiao on June 9, 2010 at 11:21 AM

I dunno, but Teddy “Prince Valiant of Chappaquiddick” K primaried Carter in 1980 and lost to him, then Carter went on to lose of course, to Reagan.

ted c on June 9, 2010 at 11:27 AM

ProfessorMiao on June 9, 2010 at 11:21 AM

c’mon – if the Dims chose to re-run Jimmy Carter, they’ll have to re-run Obama. Remember Teddy Kennedy saw beating Carter in the primary as his only chance of ever becoming prez, given his Chappaquidick past.

Of course, if Hillary tries for a rematch, I wouldn’t put it past her. Has anyone seen her picture on a milk carton lately? She’s the most inconsequential Sec. of State I have ever seen.

kscheuller on June 9, 2010 at 11:29 AM

She’s the most inconsequential Sec. of State I have ever seen.

kscheuller on June 9, 2010 at 11:29 AM

he floated her a job that her ego couldn’t refuse then rendered her utterly powerless within it. They nailed two birds with one stone with that appointment.

sorry Hill, you fell for the bait….. “reset?”

ted c on June 9, 2010 at 11:32 AM

Hillary resigns the day after election day this November…or somewhere around that.

betcha Jetboy’s hat.

ted c on June 9, 2010 at 11:33 AM

ted c on June 9, 2010 at 10:48 AM

ted c on June 9, 2010 at 10:54 AM

Ah, Ted, way to get into the spirit of the whole idea! Once I find a mark, uh, I mean, a producer, I will be in touch for some script work.

I like it!

I think “Captain Kickass” would look good with some Geordi La Forge glasses (I don’t have Photoshop though).

pain train on June 9, 2010 at 10:49 AM

Hmmmmmmmmm, maybe Elton John glasses?

novaculus on June 9, 2010 at 11:37 AM

I really think he’s not doing anything about the oil spill because he doesn’t want to.

He wants it to be a disaster, so he can declare the oil companies enemies of the state, and then do his cap and trade and hopefully nationalize the oil companies.

I figure he’s irritated because it’s a British oil company, but hopes to use it in the same way instead.

I mean, you sit around and wait and wait for the government to do something – besides refuse to help state governments who ARE trying to do something – and what else is there to conclude?

And when I say “he,” I mean he and his backers/puppet-masters.

This “kick-ass” stuff is just to help his own suffering image, and continue to fool his contingent of adoring supporters who are almost pathetically eager to be fooled. I know they are; I know some of them.

Alana on June 9, 2010 at 11:39 AM

“instead” should read “anyway.”

Alana on June 9, 2010 at 11:40 AM

Oh yeah. Of course, Rush has been predicting this for quite a while now. Problem for Hillary is, the Dims don’t dare run the risk of ousting a sitting African American president for anybody, no matter how incompetent he is.

I voted for Alan Keyes in the primary against Dole in ’96, so I voted for an African American for president long before Obama showed up – but not just because he was African American. Problem is, Keyes is to fiesty for us nice Republicans to have run him. Besides, as the Republicans too often do, they ran Dole because it was “his turn.”

That Clinton still needed Perot’s help to beat Dole (just like he used him to beat GHW Bush) shows just how over-rated he is.

kscheuller on June 9, 2010 at 11:43 AM

Hey Ed and Allah-

Can you guys track down the photos of the WH “bbq” from yesterday particularly the photo of Bo leading BHO? It could be an alternate Obamateurism pic.

Dubn8tr on June 9, 2010 at 11:57 AM

Can you imagine being one of those ‘experts’ in said meetings?

Finally, all that investment to become an expert paid off, potus relying the experts to fix the problem, ….

No, wait, he only wants to find some one’s ass to kick.

Well, it DON’T take 6 weeks and more to find some one to blame, the real kicker is to find a scapegoat that wasn’t attached to the Obama name.

Sir Napsalot on June 9, 2010 at 12:02 PM

Here’s a late entry:

OxyCon on June 9, 2010 at 12:19 PM

I will let this clip do my talking for me:

LarryG on June 9, 2010 at 12:36 PM

kscheuller on June 9, 2010 at 11:43 AM

Ditto!! Keyes would have been a great choice. I’d still like to see him in a Republican administration.

Dole was dull…and had no executive experience: he would have been a huge Republican mistake if he had been elected.

Thank goodness that the Democrats have taken it upon themselves to prove to the nation that when you elect an unqualified candidate, everybody loses!

landlines on June 9, 2010 at 12:51 PM

“Captain Kickass” should be wearing a “kick me” sign on his back.

landlines on June 9, 2010 at 12:55 PM

Another late entry:

year_of_the_dingo on June 9, 2010 at 1:31 PM

Note: He hangs with Academia, because he believes Academia is composed of “experts”.
Academia trains people for entry- level jobs, not the top spot.
Academia lacks real world experience, which is glaringly obvious to most everybody, but those who are in or come from, Academia and never had a real job.
Obama’s lack of experience is staggering, it’s polar opposite of his ego.

Here’s a thought Mr. Prez, How bout talking to people with actually experience and stop relying on academia.

Hey! I know! How’s bout grabbing some of those books from ur library and use em to plug dat hole!

DSchoen on June 9, 2010 at 1:47 PM

Steve Z on June 9, 2010 at 11:10 AM

Cuz no one in Academia ever heard of “containment booms” due to evil Republicans (add your favorite claim here, all work)

Cuz Academia and the Obama admin couldn’t understand how building a new bar would help anything.

Gotta give em credit for actually researching this, first they went to every bar in D.C. drank till closing time and the leak continued.

Then they started their “own bar” with beer pong and pool tables still the leak continued.

Deploy the booms and coral the oil.
Use ships, tankers, barges to skim the top layer of water (cuz that’s where the oil will be) and separate it.

Its been done before,
a lot,
as in SOP.

Obama, never let a crisis go to waste decided to play politics with it.

DSchoen on June 9, 2010 at 2:29 PM

Love the photo shops, loathe the subject.

capejasmine on June 9, 2010 at 2:30 PM

Thank you HA for keeping me sane by providing a laugh every day. The photoshopped Capt Kickass pics are priceless. Love how you captured the ears. My favorite is the first, with the cigarette. The Marlboro Man as Superhero.

BitterClinger on June 9, 2010 at 3:23 PM

Captain Kickass on Captain’s Quarters!

Akzed on June 9, 2010 at 3:28 PM

My favorite is the first, with the cigarette.

BitterClinger on June 9, 2010 at 3:23 PM

I am crying, that is so funny.

DaydreamBeliever on June 9, 2010 at 3:57 PM

I don’t know how to describe this in good taste but the image works, needtheless…

Obama lookin’ for ass to kick:

the image that immediately comes to mind is the aphid who gets his ass s.u.c.k.e.d (sorry, but that’s from the story itself) by the ant in ANTS, the movie.

Obama’s the aphid.

Now I have to go take a shower and wash out this mental image forever from my mind…

Lourdes on June 9, 2010 at 5:36 PM

ANTZ, the movie…

Obama’s the aphid.

Lourdes on June 9, 2010 at 5:37 PM

BTW, Dear Leader wasn’t a professor…he was a lecturer. Even I could do that (and have).

Dingbat63 on June 9, 2010 at 6:25 PM

Alien in the White House

Wall Street Journal kicked ass

maverick muse on June 9, 2010 at 6:29 PM

Hahaha!. Love the Photoshops. Nice work!

Gilda on June 9, 2010 at 6:36 PM

Dingbat63 on June 9, 2010 at 6:25 PM

Students see fliers on campus announcing so-and-so giving a presentation on such-and-such all the time.

OBAMA was only a “guest lecturer” whose presentations were devised to spread the ACORN message of how to get around the Constitution for minorities abusing our system of governance.

That lackluster reality was a catastrophe, but not wasted on its own lack of merit by the Democratic Machine that fabricated “The One” propaganda out of WHOLE CLOTH. Since when does a “Constitutional Scholar” hide his failing work from view and scrutiny AS IF his bogus claims of brilliance are anything “we can believe in”?

Fraud.

maverick muse on June 9, 2010 at 6:41 PM

yeah, must have been posted already;
but I still think it’s funny

dissent555 on June 9, 2010 at 6:59 PM

This whole facade with Obama is not new to the American public … it’s as old as the televised Kennedy/Nixon debate. People chose the heroic, confident appearance of Kennedy over the old, limp noodle they perceived in Nixon.

The real issues here are that Presidents are encouraged to have charisma over character and that American voters are blinded by their misguided, superficial views of successful leadership.

We can pick on Obama all we want–and granted it is funny–but I’m hopin’ for change in this stupid political dress-up game

Amy Ritter on June 9, 2010 at 7:48 PM

Hmmph!

There’s finally a photoshop contest, and I miss it because I’m slaving away all day at work to pay for AnninCA’s welfare check.

There is no justice in this world.

weeping quietly into my beer here

justltl on June 9, 2010 at 8:00 PM

There is no justice in this world.

weeping quietly into my beer here

justltl on June 9, 2010 at 8:00 PM

wha.. you didn’t receive your thank you card in the mail from her? I did, and it was full of four letter words. The one I recall seeing the most of was “more”….hmm funny that.

ted c on June 9, 2010 at 8:20 PM

Cowboy

CWforFreedom on June 9, 2010 at 9:59 PM

Captain Kickass HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA The more I hear it, the more I like it. Score 1 for AP.

Mr. Grump on June 10, 2010 at 11:59 AM