Evangelical leaders meet with Pelosi in D.C. to push … amnesty

posted at 9:30 pm on June 9, 2010 by Allahpundit

They were putting their group together last month and now here it is. I’ve said it before but I’ll say it again: If this is all about doing unto our neighbor that which we would have them do unto us, why do we have borders? What kind of bizarre Christian principle provides that we should be good Samaritans to the people who broke the law in coming here but not to the people just across the border who desperately want to come? Give me chapter and verse where Jesus says, “Okay, that’s enough charity towards strangers. We really can’t afford any more.” If you can’t, then what’s the limiting principle on this?

“A significant part of our churches and denominations are part of the immigrant community so we have a very close connection and a very great interest,” Leith Anderson, president of the influential lobbying group National Evangelical Association, said Wednesday, ” … but our interest is really rooted in what the bible teaches how we treat people and how we treat particularly people who are aliens or strangers in the land.”

Anderson’s group last year authored a resolution in favor of reform using biblical immigrants Abraham, Joseph, Naomi, Mary and Jesus. Their examples, the group said, “reveal God’s hand in the movement of people and are illustrations of faith and God in difficult circumstances.”…

The group met with House Speaker Nancy Pelosi at the Capitol and presidential adviser Valerie Jarrett at the White House after speaking with reporters and supporters at the Capitol Visitors Center…

The Rev. Sam Rodriguez, Jr., president of the National Hispanic Christian Leadership Conference said that a past disconnect between the pulpit and pew “diminishes in respect to rising conservative leaders,” and he reminded those leaders to think carefully about their positions.

“Without the Hispanic vote the Republican Party and the conservative movement will need to garnish, in light of my colleagues around me, a miracle of sorts in order to win in Florida, Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada and eventually Texas,” he said.

Kudos to Rodriguez for eschewing the piety in favor of old-fashioned political hardball and to Anderson for hinting at the churches’ interest in doing their congregants’ political bidding. I’m fascinated by the prospect of this blowing up into a running doctrinal debate among prominent Christian conservatives, with border enforcers on one side and holier-than-thou amnesty shills on the other trying to the answer the WWJD question. Except … are there any prominent Christian conservative pols who oppose a “path to citizenship”? Huckabee was for it during his presidential campaign, albeit with heavy caveats that illegals who are here need to leave and go to the back of the line to be eligible. I’m not sure where Palin stands, exactly: She alluded to a pathway to citizenship in an interview with Hannity in April, but only insofar as saying that that’s what illegals want, not that it should be granted without conditions or even granted at all. Exit question: Who among us is “un-Christian” enough to enforce the law? Besides your humble atheist correspondent, that is.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

And how do you get that from me saying that you should give money to those in need? Did I unconsciously type out, “Make sure you recklessly start handing out money to people who aren’t going to use it wisely.”
Narutoboy on June 10, 2010 at 12:10 AM

How do you know they are going to use it wisely and not put most of it in their own bank account? Do you demand complete accountability for every cent you donate to anyone, no you don’t.

Point is, you are spending a lot of time tarring every Christian with your mindless spew that they are all deluded lemmings trotting off to church and making their pastor rich because he is only using them toward that end.

You care so much how other people spend their money, why is that? I don’t care and I’m not a churchgoer, if they want to plop coins in the plate then go for it, it’s their money.

Bishop on June 10, 2010 at 12:23 AM

We can’t let the Ned Flanders of America dictate our policies.

keep the change on June 9, 2010 at 11:15 PM

I agree fully.

Narutoboy on June 10, 2010 at 12:24 AM

canopfor on June 10, 2010 at 12:14 AM

Translation:

Narutoboy on June 10, 2010 at 12:20 AM

Narutoboy:
========================

The Smallest Crying Violin

canopfor on June 10, 2010 at 12:26 AM

HornetSting on June 10, 2010 at 12:08 AM canopfor on June 10, 2010 at 12:14 AM

Before his latest and greatest suggestion that Hawk was a member of the KKK he accused someone of having inappropriate relations with a young sibling. I hope I am around to see where the line is when it’s crossed.

Cindy Munford on June 10, 2010 at 12:28 AM

canopfor on June 10, 2010 at 12:26 AM

you were told to stay on topic. WTH is your problem, can’t you stay on topic?

Bishop on June 10, 2010 at 12:29 AM

Bishop on June 10, 2010 at 12:23 AM

Giver – Pastor – Recipient

Giver – Recipient

Hmmm, I wonder which one would be more effective. Why is that so hard for you to understand? I’m sure you’d get it in the context of big government. Try applying the same logic to religious groups.

Both have their risks, but one is riskier than the other, and it’s not the one without the middle man.

Narutoboy on June 10, 2010 at 12:30 AM

I agree fully.

Narutoboy on June 10, 2010 at 12:24 AM

You are aware that Ned Flanders is a cartoon?

Cindy Munford on June 10, 2010 at 12:32 AM

HornetSting on June 10, 2010 at 12:08 AM canopfor on June 10, 2010 at 12:14 AM

Cindy Munford on June 10, 2010 at 12:28 AM

Someone can’t quite bring himself to pull that trigger…and hence the problem…

HornetSting on June 10, 2010 at 12:32 AM

canopfor on June 10, 2010 at 12:26 AM

BTW, and this is totally OT so you can kick me, but I’m up waiting for the wife to return from a trip. She got to travel in a brand new Cessna Corvallis TT, it’s supposed to be quite the fun ride.

Bishop on June 10, 2010 at 12:32 AM

You are aware that Ned Flanders is a cartoon?

Cindy Munford on June 10, 2010 at 12:32 AM

I’m aware that there are people just like him in real life, yes.

Narutoboy on June 10, 2010 at 12:33 AM

HornetSting on June 10, 2010 at 12:32 AM

For the most part he’s just a contrarian, not worthy of reply. I guess he keeps the numbers up and gives people a way to vent their frustration. He does seem to do a lot of name calling though.

Cindy Munford on June 10, 2010 at 12:36 AM

Narutoboy on June 10, 2010 at 12:30 AM

What I’m having trouble understanding is why you get so emotional about how private citizens freely spend their own money. Do you also get mad that people buy things they never use, food they never eat, clothes they never wear? Even if a pastor of a church does pocket every last cent his parishioners donate, how does that affect you?

Seriously, you have too much time on your hands if you can afford to spend so much of it worrying about how other people decide to allocate their own resources.

Bishop on June 10, 2010 at 12:37 AM

canopfor on June 10, 2010 at 12:26 A
=========================

you were told to stay on topic. WTH is your problem, can’t you stay on topic?

Bishop on June 10, 2010 at 12:29 AM

Bishop:I`m lurking on the hill as a spotter,but I guess
my airstrike is busy getting a mid-air refueling!

Oops,I`m off topic!!—————:)

canopfor on June 10, 2010 at 12:39 AM

Narutoboy on June 10, 2010 at 12:33 AM

It is safe to assume that he, if real, would not be someone you would associate with. Why not give the rest of the world their right to make their own decisions? The people in the posted article are only representative of themselves, your broad brush strokes to the rest of Christians are unfair.

Cindy Munford on June 10, 2010 at 12:40 AM

You’re re-framing the debate like dems do, Allah. I haven’t looked at the comments yet, but I’m pretty sure there’s a “Do unto Caesar as is rendered unto Caesar. Do unto G-d as is rendered unto Him.” From the Bible, man is supposed to follow the rule of man, unless it goes against the simple things G-d asks for. That’s why Christian Americans are highly patriotic – it has always meant to be nation states, as opposed to empires. Why do you think all of us love immigrants, as long as they adhere to the law of the land and are patriotic toward the country? When they break the law of the land, and give absolutely no respect to the country or the flag, how the hell do you think we would react? My grandparents fought in WWII, my brother’s wife and mother in law are Russian legal immigrants who became citizens after the iron curtain lifted, who absolutely love this country – why the hell should we accept people who have no love for the country, laws, or ideals behind it? And btw, while you quote the good Samaritan example, what kind of charities do you think are involved in the world? I know quite a few Christian charities and missions operating in Africa, Asia, South/Middle America, and even the Middle East – do you know of any atheist missions that exist? I know people put their complete lifestyles and lives on the line to make people’s lives better, without any kind of government subsidy/intrusion, can you say the same? Cast the first stone…

specialkayel on June 10, 2010 at 12:43 AM

canopfor on June 10, 2010 at 12:26 AM
========================

Bishop on June 10, 2010 at 12:32 AM

Bishop:Nice,I bet it goes good!!

=====================

My step-dad had a GlobeSwift with wingtips!

Globe Swift

When I was about 7 or 8,we were up fairly high thank gawd,
and I did a stupid,he let me at the controls,dual control
equiped,I put the nose straight over into a 15000-2000 foot
dive,after the recovery,he said he always wanted to do that,
thank-fully we weren`t any lower!!:)

canopfor on June 10, 2010 at 12:48 AM

canopfor on June 10, 2010 at 12:14 AM

So did I canopfor! I have had it with his insults and his bigotry.

Neuteredboy, come out of mommy’s basement and apologize to a distinguished military man who honorably served our country while you are playing your little video games. I know some may find you amusing, but I can tell you the majority do NOT!

margategop517 on June 10, 2010 at 12:49 AM

Cindy Munford on June 10, 2010 at 12:40 AM

You can make your own decisions, and I can comment on them.

margategop517 on June 10, 2010 at 12:49 AM

Narutoboy on June 10, 2010 at 12:54 AM

Narutoboy on June 10, 2010 at 12:54 AM

You might try rational arguments instead of name calling. Just a thought.

Cindy Munford on June 10, 2010 at 12:56 AM

You will overcome…

Inanemergencydial on June 10, 2010 at 12:57 AM

You might try rational arguments instead of name calling. Just a thought.

Cindy Munford on June 10, 2010 at 12:56 AM

Only “insult” I’ve made here is “lemmings,” and if you’re sympathetic to the socialist cabal that is organized religion, that word describes you perfectly.

The phony outrage is tiring, by the way.

Narutoboy on June 10, 2010 at 12:59 AM

canopfor on June 10, 2010 at 12:14 AM

margategop517 on June 10, 2010 at 12:49 AM

margategop517: I hope you don`t mean me,on the video games!
———–:)

canopfor on June 10, 2010 at 1:00 AM

There you have it folks! Straight from Neuteredboy’s mouth. He wants to stay in mommy’s basement and play his video games.

margategop517 on June 10, 2010 at 1:01 AM

canopfor on June 10, 2010 at 12:48 AM

I don’t even like to fly in small planes that much, but I do because my friends take me fishing and camping up north so I have no choice.

When I dropped the wife at the local airport, I got to see the cockpit of the TT, seriously nice arrangement and it had *GASP* side stick controls. Very cool and sleek interior, looked like a junior version of the space shuttle.

Bishop on June 10, 2010 at 1:02 AM

margategop517 on June 10, 2010 at 1:01 AM

margategop517: Okay,I got it,not me!!!!:)

canopfor on June 10, 2010 at 1:02 AM

Did anyone look at the comments on the link page? This one is interesting.

June 9th, 2010 5:49 pm ET

To all the right wing haters – OK, you go pick crops for $3 an hour. After we kick them all out – you’ll whine about the price of food going up.

Does this mean that these mandatory minimum wage liberals are okay with others working for $3 an hour? So giving them citizenship is a bonus?

Cindy Munford on June 10, 2010 at 1:03 AM

Narutoboy on June 10, 2010 at 12:59 AM

That’s just tonight, yesterday you had quite the repertoire flowing; “idiot” was apparently your favorite. Don’t play innocent, it ruins the good thing you have going here.

Bishop on June 10, 2010 at 1:04 AM

margategop517 on June 10, 2010 at 1:01 AM

That’s about as far as he will go…and we’ll all be supporting his cheeto habit.

HornetSting on June 10, 2010 at 1:05 AM

Narutoboy on June 10, 2010 at 12:59 AM

I realize that text is limiting but I am neither outraged or insulted. You don’t have that power. Like you said earlier, you make decisions, I comment on them.

Cindy Munford on June 10, 2010 at 1:06 AM

The phony outrage is tiring, by the way.

Narutoboy on June 10, 2010 at 12:59 AM

Test

Americannodash on June 10, 2010 at 1:08 AM

canopfor on June 10,2010 at 12:48AM
=======================================

Bishop on June 10, 2010 at 1:02 AM

Bishop: Ya I hear you,have you landed on a lake in a Cessna
172 with floats.I spent a summer in 67,past Thunder
Bay,with my dad,flying supplies to various fishing
and Hunting lodges,and a memoral time in a Beaver
with 1 foot waves,just a hammering across the lake
trying to get air-borne!! Oh the memories!!!:)

canopfor on June 10, 2010 at 1:09 AM

Well,I`m packing it in,Goodnight,Bishop,Cindy,HornetSting,
margategop517,Inanemergencydial——————–:)

canopfor on June 10, 2010 at 1:14 AM

canopfor on June 10, 2010 at 1:02 AM

Never canopfor! That was all for Neuteredboy! You canopfor are one of the good guys! I shutter to even put your good name in the same post as his, but only for clarification my friend! Sorry for any confusion canopfor!

margategop517 on June 10, 2010 at 1:15 AM

Night canopfor! Sweet dreams!

Hornet, you still here?

margategop517 on June 10, 2010 at 1:16 AM

canopfor on June 10, 2010 at 1:14 AM

Night boss!

Inanemergencydial on June 10, 2010 at 1:17 AM

I am going to call it a night myself. Goodnight everyone, sweet dreams.

Cindy Munford on June 10, 2010 at 1:21 AM

To be clear: This group isn’t recommending no borders. I’m just wondering why their principles of charity and compassion should be limited by borders.

Allahpundit on June 9, 2010 at 9:40 PM

while I’m wondering how and why this is church business at all in the first place.

This is what Glenn Beck was talking about when he said that if your church’s focus was “social issues,” you should leave it.

Sad to see Richard Land and the Southern Baptists fall away into Secular Progressivism and try to act like it has anything to do with Christiantity.

Jenfidel on June 10, 2010 at 1:26 AM

keep the change on June 9, 2010 at 11:23 PM, the entire Bible is the “Jewish Bible.” We Christians were not called Christians until Antioch. Until then, we were just another branch of Judaism, sort of like messianic Jews. Had the name “Christian” not been applied to us, we would have been good old fashioned Jews, just like the Reformed, Hasidic, Satmar, etc.

SilentWatcher on June 10, 2010 at 6:14 AM

You are aware that Ned Flanders is a cartoon?

Cindy Munford on June 10, 2010 at 12:32 AM

are you aware that Naruto Boy is a cartoon also, actually Anime.

RonK on June 10, 2010 at 6:41 AM

There are churches out there that explicitly do not support illegal immigration.

Here in Chicagoland (GO HAWKS!) many churches are indeed “social justice” type organizations. I did, however, find a church in my area that is more or less in line with my views through this organization:

visions on June 10, 2010 at 6:43 AM

Mexico needs missionaries, no give-aways.

This disgusts me. I am a Baptist P.K. and my dad is spinning in his grave.

stenwin77 on June 10, 2010 at 7:00 AM

These “leaders” are just like so many political whores. They meet with politicians hoping to be the next Billy Graham and being seen as important.

Disgusting, and they are different than Jim Wallis the radical or the National Council of Churches how?

PappyD61 on June 10, 2010 at 7:16 AM

Up front admitting that he’s fleecing the US flock in order to live high on the self righteous hog with his illegal pets.

YOUR PEOPLE WILL BE MY PEOPLE AND YOUR GOD WILL BE MY GOD.–Ruth

Clear enough. Disband the special interest identity of hyphenated Americans and follow the rule of law.

maverick muse on June 10, 2010 at 7:35 AM

maverick muse on June 10, 2010 at 7:35 AM

I hear you.

Americannodash on June 10, 2010 at 7:43 AM

WWJD, he would apply for a visa and immigrate legally!

flytier on June 10, 2010 at 7:53 AM

Narrow boy toy.

I’ll be praying for you.

dthorny on June 10, 2010 at 7:55 AM

Of course those on the Left want to dissolve Nation States and even Christians must recognize the Golden Rule and apply it to those people and Nations that allow citizens to come here illegally… save that they don’t do that.

Yet the differences between the edicts of God, the Law of Nature and the Law of Nations arises and are scale free:

§ 3. General principle of all the mutual duties of nations.

The nature and essence of man, who, without the assistance of his fellow-men, is unable to supply all his wants, to preserve himself, to render himself perfect, and to live happily, plainly show us that he is destined to live in society, in the interchange of mutual aid; and, consequently, that all men are, by their very nature and essence, obliged to unite their common efforts for the perfection of their own being and that of their condition. The surest method of succeeding in this pursuit is, that each individual should exert his efforts first for himself and then for others. Hence it follows, that, whatever we owe to ourselves, we likewise owe to others, so far as they stand in need of assistance, and we can grant it to them without being wanting to ourselves. Since, then, one nation, in its way, owes to another nation every duty that one man owes to another man, we may confidently lay down this general principle: — one state owes to another state whatever it owes to itself, so far as that other stands in real need of its assistance, and the former can grant it without neglecting the duties it owes to itself. Such is the eternal and immutable law of nature. Those who might be alarmed at this doctrine, as totally subversive of the maxims of sound policy, will be relieved from their apprehensions by the two following considerations: —

1. Social bodies or sovereign states are much more capable of supplying all their wants than individual men are; and mutual assistance is not so necessary among them, nor so frequently required. Now, in those particulars which a nation can itself perform, no succour is due to it from others.

2. The duties of a nation towards itself, and chiefly the care of its own safety, require much more circumspection and reserve than need be observed by an individual in giving assistance to others. This remark we shall soon illustrate.

Emphasis in the original, bolding mine.

Note that we are supposed to do for ourselves, first, so that we can then help others. And as we expect reciprocity on the respect for the law, as we so do respect them not only in regards to our own law but to that which we make via treaty with other Nations, so too do we expect peoples of other Nations to do the exact, same thing. Not only is the Golden Rule reciprocal but so are the expectations of others respecting those things we have agreed upon.

When you stop that expectation, you are then no longer upholding the Law of Nature nor the Law of Nations, and as we are still and always will be imperfect, we cannot be deific in our pondering and must consider the conditions of Nature and Man, in that order, so as to establish justice within our societies and for ourselves FIRST. When you stop expecting to uphold the law for YOURSELF then why do you expect anyone else to do so? When you speak for the laws we create to not be upheld, then you do not get greater charity, greater giving, but greater theft and lawlessness as no laws are seen worth upholding. That is not a path to Utopia but to Chaos.

If you want good to be done, then YOU must do it and it starts at YOURSELF first. Right now we are in a major economic downturn with nearly 10% unemployment and that is WITH people here taking jobs that should go to CITIZENS first as they are your countrymen. If you are unwilling to look after your fellow CITIZENS as a Nation, then you are degrading your fellow man and saying that his support of this society by being a part of it lawfully and legally is worthless to you. You are not ‘expanding’ gratuity or charity, your are diminishing and demeaning the thing we hold in common value and are unwilling to HELP your fellow citizens FIRST.

I’ve got deep, severe and abiding problems with that sort of attitude that does not look at home to help our neighbors. If we can’t help our own neighbors then, please, don’t be seeking to help our National neighbors as we are incompetent and incapable of helping our own people. This does not make the plight of anyone ‘better’ but far, far worse. And when our neighbors no longer abide by the Golden Rule and break our expectations of civility, then they have lost the faith we placed in them as they have become lawless to us and to themselves. I’ve got problems with that, too.

You can’t help others if you can’t help yourself.

And charity is the gift of giving once you have taken care of yourself so you can help others with the fruits of your labors directly.

When government comes to tax you for that, it is not liberty nor charity at work as you know better how to spend in charity and keep it accountable than does any government ever created at any time on this planet. Including our own.

ajacksonian on June 10, 2010 at 8:22 AM

But, do these preachers have locks on their doors?

If so, they are cruelly excluding the deserving poor from the pastors’ own little nations.

profitsbeard on June 9, 2010 at 11:16 PM

A Triple plus! You deserve a star for that!

I’d like to know what other things these evangelical leaders believe and teach.
There is a law in place. There are ways to come into this country legally and there are reasons for those laws. Good reasons.

I’d like these evangelical leaders to start showing scripture and verse where God commands Christians to cross into other countries illegally to milk their social service system dry! I’d like these evangelical leaders to show us scripture and verse where God commands His people to steal identities or create false identities so that they will be able to steal jobs they do not deserve! I’d like to see where the Bible commands us all to disregard the properties of others, demand special treatment, recognition and money just because you showed up!
I do know one thing the Bible commands Christians. That is to go into other nations and preach the Gospel! Maybe that is they real problem here with these so called evangelical leaders. They’d rather sit on their duffs and let the nations come to them while they remain in the comfort of their own homes instead of going down into these lands and actually doing real mission work! And if they did go into these lands to do mission work, I bet they wouldn’t be sneaking across the border illegally! They do it the way the right way!

Any self respecting illegal who confess to be a Christian would do the right thing and return to their country and begin the process of legal immigration! And they would be welcome here indeed!

JellyToast on June 10, 2010 at 8:29 AM

God looks into the heart. (1 Samuel 16:7) Let HIM judge the motives of each illegal alien while we attempt to maintain a nation of laws so that we can build wealth from which to give charitably, freely and cheerfully. (2 Corinthians 9:7).

As others have said, the good Samaritan story pointedly excludes government. The Samaritan acted from his own conscience and with his own money. He was not shaken down by the government to provide for lawlessness against his will.

There’s a big difference between the good Samaritan and what these evangelicals are proposing, IMHO.

Grace_is_sufficient on June 10, 2010 at 8:33 AM

RonK on June 10, 2010 at 6:41 AM

I do. Very annoying.

Cindy Munford on June 10, 2010 at 8:39 AM

I’ll tell you exactly why this is happening:

Dems took a look at the 2008 vote, and saw a spike in “evangelical” votes for 0bama. They see an opportunity to split off evangelicals from the Republican Party. This all the planted news stories about the GOP leaving evangelical voters behind for small-l libertarians, and the courting of evangelicals on issues like amnesty.

Personally, I think that the pollsters looking at the 2008 election failed to separate out Black evangelicals and White evangelicals, and that 0bama pulled a lot of wool over folks’ eyes back in 2008, and the buyer’s remorse is unlikely to bring the White evangelical who voted for 0bama back to voting Democrat in future elections.

Sekhmet on June 10, 2010 at 9:00 AM

RonK on June 10, 2010 at 6:41 AM
I do. Very annoying.

Cindy Munford on June 10, 2010 at 8:39 AM

I do too. I learned a bit about the Anime crowd when my family ate at a hotel restaurant where an Anime convention was being held.

I’ll leave it at that.

Grace_is_sufficient on June 10, 2010 at 9:02 AM

Liberals have taken over the hierarchy of a lot of main stream denominations and hope to change the direction of the believers. However, there is a wide gulf between what Mr. Anderson is proposing and the average church goer. This is why I no longer attend the Methodist Church. What happened to separation of church and state and don’t preachers have to watch every political word they utter from the pulpit?

Kissmygrits on June 10, 2010 at 9:06 AM

Grace_is_sufficient on June 10, 2010 at 9:02 AM

I don’t know much about it but two of my kids (adults) have traveled across the country to go to Comic Con. That’s a lot of goofy in one spot at one time. I am sure they think the same thing they go to car shows with us.

Cindy Munford on June 10, 2010 at 9:28 AM

Rowan Wiliams.

Sir Napsalot on June 10, 2010 at 9:40 AM

Me. Give unto Caesar that which is Caesar’s and unto God that which is God’s. Add to that the Ten Commandments, which these religious hypocrites leave out

Confiscation and redistribution is un Christian. In the Old Testament, not only shalt thou not covet they neighbor’s property, or wealth ( ass/livestock), you cannot move a property marker.

In the new Testament, according to Jesus, the proper way to give is in secret, and He did not have to add, of your own money only, Christ knew more than anyone who suffered and who prospered and he confiscated from no man

These hypocrites are not only confiscating from me my property, my birthright, my vote, but they are stepping past all the legal applicants who want to come in under the law who are respecting my property, my birthright and who are earning, not stealing a fair vote alongside my vote

There is more corrupt Church, than uncorrupt in these corrupt times. Whenever I hear phrases like ‘the God I worship would never do X’ I visulaize the Golden Calf idol created by the Israelites to suit their own needs.

I am self defined evangelical, because I believe in the God of Abraham, the words of the Bible, and the instruction to spread the Gospel. We are flooded with churches of self affirmation, cherry pickers of the Bible, re definers of Christ’s message. If I am the last one lest who stands in disagreement with these lemmings of self fulfillment, I will still hold against them.

I will take an honest atheist any day over a religious hypocrite

This group makes me think of the old Stalinists. So sure of their baloney and so willing to impose. As for Palin, amnesty is her weakness. She is holding back on position, and when she finally opens up, the game changes. I have no idea how she will play this one

entagor on June 10, 2010 at 2:26 PM

Don’t know WHICH evangelicals are involved in this, but when & if we find out, it will be posted for all the Constitutional loving evangelicals to see, and “we will come out from among them”!

hopefloats on June 10, 2010 at 2:32 PM

You knew it was gonna be nothing but trouble when the sanctimonious Bible thumping nut bags took control of Barry Goldwater’s movement .

borntoraisehogs on June 10, 2010 at 2:37 PM

Keith Anderson’s group are the ones beind the New Internatioanl Version Bible (1973), a translation that is not literal but dynamic . It changes the very meanging the much of the scripture. They are social engineer, and change the very meaning of much of the scriptures by parapharsing most of it.
The began their translation during the last 1960′s answer to the sexual revolution and the push of “social justice”. The NIV is the first translation to include the word “homosexual” and the first to single them out above other “sinners”
They paraphrased the translation to include social justice and it the version used by the Salvation Army worldwide.
Whenever you encounter a “social justice” pro amnesty pusher aske them to check their biblical version and you win the agruement.

LeeSeneca on June 10, 2010 at 4:40 PM

This and the Politico piece talk tough but still they never get serious about stopping illegal immigration.

Once we stop or at least cut illegal immigration by 90%, I’m willing to think about all these other ideas, but not until that happens.

As it is now, enforcement is always tacked on at the end in the most unserious of ways possible, including a whole series of escape hatches to not do any enforcement at all.

J_Crater on June 10, 2010 at 4:46 PM

Good Lord, I should have edited this before hitting submit comment. I’ll blame Bush for that.
“Keith Anderson’s group are the ones beind the New International Version Bible (1973), a translation that is not literal but dynamic . It changes the very meaning of of the scriptures. They were/are social engineers, and change the meaning of much of the scriptures by parapharsing rather than a word for word method.
The began their translation during the late 1960’s as an answer to the sexual revolution and a push for “social justice”. The NIV is the first translation to include the word “homosexual” and the first to single them out above other “sinners”
They paraphrased the translation to include social justice and it is the version used by the Salvation Army worldwide and other org. that don’t have much in the way of Bible quotes on their websites.
Whenever you encounter a “social justice” pro amnesty pusher (or anti-homosexual like the Salvation Army is) ask them to check their Biblical version and you win the agruement everytime.

LeeSeneca on June 10, 2010 at 5:02 PM

I think when the Mexican federal police trained their guns on U.S Border Patrol agents whom they thought were going to cross into Mexico, we have a fair idea of how Mexico treats illegal aliens.

The Bible has a lot to say about treating aliens in the land “fairly,” which is to say “not taking advantage of them” as our illegal alien employers do, but it never gives moral sanction to breaking civil law, no matter how hard you bend the covers.

Stepan on June 10, 2010 at 5:11 PM

I’m a Christian and I also know in the difference between “legal” and “illegal” immigrants. This is certainly a situation where the “Separation of Church and State” applies. Even though that term is nowhere to be found in the Constitution, liberals like to throw it around when it benefits them. His religious organization should lose their tax exempt status.

Poway on June 10, 2010 at 7:47 PM

Hey, somebody has to mow Anderson’s yard. Bet he lives in an enormous house, paid for by his congregants’ tithing. Wonder if he owns a private jet?

Ward Cleaver on June 10, 2010 at 8:32 PM

It may have already been suggested…but, join NumbersUSA. Makes a difference when there’s a whole mess o’ yas to deal with.
We keep their fax machines runnin’ day and night and lots more. Numbers do count. Most of the time.
Sometimes we tolerate a soft tyranny, as now. When our representatives ignore us and does as the Imperial President commands instead. That is soft tyranny.
Tyranny no matter how soft is not welcomed by the American people when they can see it. Most do not see it for what it is as they are consumed by consumables. Entertained and fed they are unaware of their loss of Liberty. Kinda hard to notice loss of Liberty if those Liberties are never exercised, never tested, never enjoyed. When you lose something you never knew you had, is there loss?
Yes and for all, not just those that are distracted by some facet of their freedom and as a consequence are unaware of the politics of the day. The politics that will end America as we know it, thus “fundamentally” changing our way of life. Lowering it, ending the tyranny of the imperialist nation that Obama sees, that Valerie Jarret sees, as all the lovers of Mao that Obama surrounds himself with prove beyond a shadow of a doubt.
Oops…sorry. Kinda went off there.

Army Brat on June 11, 2010 at 3:55 AM

Kissmygrits on June 10, 2010 at 9:06 AM

Dittos here on leaving the Methodist church, and my father-in-law is a Methodist minister. Last year at Conference they had gays and lesbians bust up into a meeting. They paraded around with rainbow banners and were quasi singing and chanting some sort of nonsense. Our Bishop is a real loon. She allowed it. No separation of church and state. At all.

_______

For those of us who are Christians, the only upside to this faith based push for amnesty is it will expose those who we cannot trust going forward. This is rather timely since Lindsey Grahamnesty told Greta the other night he plans on bringing back a comprehensive plan next year. Shoot me now!

freeus on June 11, 2010 at 12:37 PM