Video: Jon Stewart on the smear campaign against Nikki Haley

posted at 4:54 pm on June 8, 2010 by Allahpundit

To cleanse the palate, a mood-setter for tonight’s Super-ish Tuesday primary results. Endure the first minute or so of Limbaugh jokes and enjoy the two-fer that follows — a sustained riff on Helen Thomas followed by a tribute to politics South-Carolina-style, where inside every good-government reformist beats the heart of a promiscuous “raghead.” Haley’s poised to win by a healthy margin, if perhaps not with the clear majority needed to avoid a runoff, and so the pre-mortem has already begun. One of her analysts tells WaPo that while Palin’s endorsement helped, Haley had already started to climb before that thanks to her grassroots cred. True or not, she’s clearly the “reform” candidate now, a good thing to be in this year of all years. PPP:

South Carolina Republicans are extremely unhappy with their party’s direction. Only 27% like where it’s headed while 43% think there needs be a change of course. There are vast differences in how voters are planning to cast their ballots today depending on which of those camps they fall in. With those who think the current direction is fine Haley leads Gresham Barrett only 31-29 with Henry McMaster just a little further back at 23%. But among the voters who think the GOP needs a shake up Haley is winning a staggering 57% with Barrett a full 40 points behind at 17%…

Haley is also doing particularly well with Republican voters who think the party’s gone too far to the left. With folks who think the party is ideologically fine she holds a modest 33-26 lead over Barrett. But with those who think it’s too liberal she’s up 54-20 on him.

Given those numbers and the fact that Barrett has the TARP albatross hanging around his neck, Haley-haters should be pulling hard for McMaster. Exit fun fact per Stewart’s sly goof on Larry Marchant: Results of Marchant’s polygraph about his alleged affair with Haley were, ahem, “inconclusive.”

The Daily Show With Jon Stewart Mon – Thurs 11p / 10c
Thank You, South Carolina – The Race to Replace Disgrace
www.thedailyshow.com
Daily Show Full Episodes Political Humor Tea Party

Comments

Ewww Jon Stewart. This is not a palate cleanser, it’s a colonic.

Apologetic California on June 8, 2010 at 4:58 PM

Laughing SO HARD at the Helen Thomas stuff!!! So hard.

Abby Adams on June 8, 2010 at 5:03 PM

It sure would be nice if we had some schmuck doing nightly-schtick with a right-leaning perspective. The left pwns in this department.

The Race Card on June 8, 2010 at 5:03 PM

A lot of idealist just cannot get past Jon Stewart’s politics – but they are not as predictable as most people think.

jake-the-goose on June 8, 2010 at 5:05 PM

It’s called Redeye on Fox News. It is one of the most hilarious shows I have ever seen. It averages more viewers in the late night slot than watch CNN in prime time.

redeye on June 8, 2010 at 5:07 PM

No more Jon Stewart videos! The guy is just not funny!

JohnJ on June 8, 2010 at 5:07 PM

I was looking to be mad at Daily, just because. But, Damn, that man can be funny sometimes.

Tennman on June 8, 2010 at 5:09 PM

I will admit, that guy ad the southern “gay-dar” signature of a flying double-wide trailer.

Meric1837 on June 8, 2010 at 5:09 PM

redeye on June 8, 2010 at 5:07 PM

This.

John Stewart wishes he could be as funny as Andy Levy.

tetriskid on June 8, 2010 at 5:09 PM

Nikki needs 175 till she gets 10,000 fans on facebook… make it happen…

ninjapirate on June 8, 2010 at 5:10 PM

had*

Meric1837 on June 8, 2010 at 5:10 PM

JohnJ on June 8, 2010 at 5:07 PM

You Lie!

Abby Adams on June 8, 2010 at 5:11 PM

redeye on June 8, 2010 at 5:07 PM

Hmmmm…

;-)

Abby Adams on June 8, 2010 at 5:12 PM

Some of my best friends are “southern.”

Infidoll on June 8, 2010 at 5:12 PM

Elmo hate mudblood. Hee hee!

MadisonConservative on June 8, 2010 at 5:12 PM

Flamingly! Southern. LOL Perfect description. Stewart is awesome when he gets on a roll.

And Redeye is better than the daily show, I agree….er….redeye on June 8, 2010 at 5:07 PM

Mord on June 8, 2010 at 5:13 PM

For those Canadians that can’t get the video,
here ya go!
=====================================

canopfor on June 8, 2010 at 5:13 PM

Stewart has a good point near the end. Listening to Larry Marchant, it’s hard to believe that he even likes girls, let alone slept with Nikki Haley. Apparently his only proof is that they both “stayed up past midnight, and were drinking in a bar….”

RBMN on June 8, 2010 at 5:14 PM

Some of my best friends are “southern.”

Infidoll on June 8, 2010 at 5:12 PM

My fathers ” southern”

hahahahha

macncheez on June 8, 2010 at 5:17 PM

daddy, did you cheat today?

jbh45 on June 8, 2010 at 5:18 PM

I loved the Elijah reference!

annoyinglittletwerp on June 8, 2010 at 5:18 PM

“You know who gets it? Elijah.”

ROFL!!

skydaddy on June 8, 2010 at 5:19 PM

South Carolina
——————-

“Why don’t you come up on my varanda and sat a spell”,

“Sounds like someone could use to hear some casual
racism South Carolina style,its not about Jews”!!!!
==========================================================

Ugh!

Oh My Freaggin Ears!!

And *agHead,

Double,Oh my Freaggin Ears!!!

canopfor on June 8, 2010 at 5:20 PM

Flamingly southern. He nailed it.

LASue on June 8, 2010 at 5:20 PM

Elijah joke: nice.

And what’s going on with the shape of SC in the talking map bit — especially down near Beaufort? Like a piece is missing.

LastRick on June 8, 2010 at 5:22 PM

“Sex with ladies. In their v@ginas.”

amerpundit on June 8, 2010 at 5:22 PM

No more Jon Stewart videos! The guy is just not funny!

JohnJ on June 8, 2010 at 5:07 PM

I don’t know about the rest, but that was hilarious.

The part about feigning not knowing why Obama is a raghead was a dud though.

pedestrian on June 8, 2010 at 5:23 PM

Flaming Southern!!

Truman Capote Southern!!

We stayed out past -M I D N I G H T !!
———————————————-

Ya know,this guys allegations are just to organized,
tell me any guy,that can roll out the times,dates,and
every detail,

just like how a women,has every bit of information
that is lasered into there brains that can recall in
stunning detail and accuracy!!!

canopfor on June 8, 2010 at 5:28 PM

And some people say politics is boring.

the_nile on June 8, 2010 at 5:30 PM

I wouldn’t mind Stewart so much if he tagged everyone who deserved it and spread the comedy around to both sides of the aisle. In fact, I think he’s best when he’s punching everyone that deserves it. That kind of balance would bring in more viewers. Unfortunately, he does less of what’s in that video and more of carrying the water for the libs.

Any who, that was pretty funny.

kagai on June 8, 2010 at 5:32 PM

:snort:

“…in their vaginas”…O.M.G!!!!!

SouthernGent on June 8, 2010 at 5:42 PM

My fathers ” southern”

hahahahha

macncheez on June 8, 2010 at 5:17 PM

macncheez:: Good one,funny,haha!!:)

canopfor on June 8, 2010 at 5:44 PM

:snort:

“…in their vaginas”…O.M.G!!!!!

SouthernGent on June 8, 2010 at 5:42 PM

SouthernGent: Hehe,as if that needed to be said!!-:)

canopfor on June 8, 2010 at 5:46 PM

The Race Card on June 8, 2010 at 5:03 PM

That’s exactly what I was thinking towards the end. He was pretty good here, and there’s plenty of material from someone with that kind of talent.

Greg Gutfeld is good, but he’s not exactly a comedian.

Esthier on June 8, 2010 at 5:48 PM

Sorry, but that was hilarious!
Still ROFL!!!

Jenfidel on June 8, 2010 at 5:49 PM

I thought he was gonna call that ‘southern gent from Gaithersburg’ out for the cheap rag on his head… Or am I just imagining that? Besides, that video confession looked like a Rowan & Martin production… burp

RalphyBoy on June 8, 2010 at 5:49 PM

canopfor on June 8, 2010 at 5:44 PM

Not theres anything wrong with it ;-)

macncheez on June 8, 2010 at 5:50 PM

I loved the light in the loafers guy that “admitted” to an affair with N.H (As blatantly “Southern” as Tennessee Williams…LMAO). But all I could think about was the dude in the Edwards’ camp tha “admitted” that the baby was his.
That little incident took smarminess to new heights, and in that way, this pathetic attempt to smear Haley–and Stewart’s acknowledgement of the ruse–was a true palate cleanser.

Um, but Helen Thomas makes me want to gargle with bleach.

Chewy the Lab on June 8, 2010 at 5:55 PM

Greg Gutfeld is good, but he’s not exactly a comedian.

Esthier on June 8, 2010 at 5:48 PM

Gutfeld is really good but sometimes he ends up with some pretty lousy guests, specially on the ‘leggy chair’, ( eg : that dumb brit who sounds like a joy behar with an accent)and ofcourse that racist hatemonger Lamont hill ( which is when I change the channel). If Gutfeld, Shultz and Levy hangout with Coulter, Malkin, Norton and Breitbart more often and bring in people like Gov Christie and maybe Gov Jindal and Palin, they will shoot to the sky in their ratings…IMHO

macncheez on June 8, 2010 at 6:01 PM

I think South Carolina wants someone who will NOT be lame talk show joke fodder for the next 4 years. Haley looks like the best choice for that.

Speedwagon82 on June 8, 2010 at 6:02 PM

I like Jon Stewart – I just wish he wasn’t so blatantly liberal most of the time.

Queen0fCups on June 8, 2010 at 6:14 PM

macncheez on June 8, 2010 at 6:01 PM

I love it when Lamont Hill is on… especially when him and Ann Coulter on on together! I do not find him offensive – I don’t agree with him, but he sure is nice to look at – he is hawt! AND he has a great sense of humor.

Queen0fCups on June 8, 2010 at 6:16 PM

Yep, that was pretty much funny.

myrenovations on June 8, 2010 at 6:16 PM

macncheez on June 8, 2010 at 6:01 PM

I disagree. He needs a few liberals on from time to time. It’s part of what’s interesting about the show, and I’ve found Lamont interesting at times. He’s a bit too liberal and Kool-Aid drinking for my tastes, but I think it’s a stretch to call him a racist hate monger.

I just think they need a bit more scripting and a bit less improvising. The talking over each other and lines that seem kinda funny but really aren’t, just distracts from the greater points of the show.

Esthier on June 8, 2010 at 6:21 PM

AND he has a great sense of humor.

Queen0fCups on June 8, 2010 at 6:16 PM

I liked his comment about black quarterbacks (only OK in prison), mostly for the shock humor and the fact that no white person could ever say it.

Esthier on June 8, 2010 at 6:24 PM

just like how a women,has every bit of information
that is lasered into there brains that can recall in
stunning detail and accuracy!!!

canopfor on June 8, 2010 at 5:28 PM

I’ve never had a wife or a girlfriend who could not in a nanosecond recall and recite in minute detail every bad or stupid thing I ever did or said, when I did or said it, what the weather was at the time, what we were wearing, where we were, etc. I’m talking photographic memories here.

Oddly enough, the good stuff is seemingly far more difficult to recall.

TXUS on June 8, 2010 at 6:25 PM

And he didn’t even do any Edwards jokes. I actually thought his Rush jokes were pretty funny, and not anywhere near what I expected.

Flamingly Southern. Oh yeah. I grew up in a backwoods town in Alabama in the 70s, and we had a pair of men who owned this huge greenhouse. They were 60 something if they were s day, and all anyone cslled them was “The Boys.” The were the epitome of flamingly southern. I figured out that something was decidely different about them when I was about 7 and my mama was buying azaleas.

di butler on June 8, 2010 at 6:26 PM

Palate properly cleansed.

Rode Werk on June 8, 2010 at 6:33 PM

canopfor on June 8, 2010 at 5:28 PM

Oddly enough, the good stuff is seemingly far more difficult to recall.

TXUS on June 8, 2010 at 6:25 PM

TXUS: Sooooooooo true,its mind-bending, haha!!:)

canopfor on June 8, 2010 at 7:03 PM

Whenever we asked for curfew extensions as a teenager we were told nothing good ever happens after midnight. Is that a Southern thing or do all parents say it?

Cindy Munford on June 8, 2010 at 7:38 PM

The Rush jokes weren’t too bad, and the rest was pure gold. This was the palate cleanser I needed.

Mutnodjmet on June 8, 2010 at 8:18 PM

This ‘professor’, is the reason I don’t watch BillO anymore. Its the same reason I don’t watch redeye when he is on it.
Redeye is a midnight ( or later) gig and although their topics are political, they can make the show relaxing by keeping it humorous and not a late-night version of a freakin fair-and-balanced generic fox-act. There is nothing wrong in having a point of view which is different than the View or PBS or Jon Stewart.As long as it is satire and jokes, redeye doesn’t need witless libs just for the ‘balance’. Keep them for the serious primetime panels.

Esthier on June 8, 2010 at 6:21 PM

Oh they need a lot of scripting and if they want to be funny on serious topics, they should have John and Ken as guests on selected topics, them 2 guys know how to be wordy as well as hilarious. The talking over each other happens because of redeye’s effort to be ‘fair and balanced’ which is terrible that late at night when people are not in a mood for such ‘spirited’ discusiion. Keep it lighthearted guys. And optics matter, so bring in pleasant smiling personalities and not raging screaching shrilly-shills.

macncheez on June 8, 2010 at 8:24 PM

Normally I want to punch John Stewart in his smug face every time I see him but that stuff on Helen Thomas had me in tears.

DethMetalCookieMonst on June 8, 2010 at 8:35 PM

I thought he was gonna call that ’southern gent from Gaithersburg’ out for the cheap rag on his head

I thought the same thing.

DethMetalCookieMonst on June 8, 2010 at 8:43 PM

Haley is so damn yummy

Alden Pyle on June 8, 2010 at 11:10 PM

Some of my best friends are “southern.”

Infidoll on June 8, 2010 at 5:12 PM

Not that there’s anything WRONG with that…

VekTor on June 9, 2010 at 1:41 PM

Oh they need a lot of scripting and if they want to be funny on serious topics, they should have John and Ken as guests on selected topics, them 2 guys know how to be wordy as well as hilarious. The talking over each other happens because of redeye’s effort to be ‘fair and balanced’ which is terrible that late at night when people are not in a mood for such ’spirited’ discusiion. Keep it lighthearted guys. And optics matter, so bring in pleasant smiling personalities and not raging screaching shrilly-shills.

The only talking over I ever hear is them trying to out funny each other – I have rarely heard angry talking over.

Queen0fCups on June 9, 2010 at 5:47 PM