Primary day: California

posted at 9:30 am on June 8, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

A few states go to the primary polls today, but California has two high-profile races on the line.  In the Senate, three Republicans are vying for the chance to unseat Barbara Boxer, and the race has changed rather dramatically over the last couple of weeks.  Former Congressman Tom Campbell had surged into a short-lived lead, but as Pollster.com shows in its aggregated survey tracking, Carly Fiorina seems to have made the sale:

Chuck DeVore has been the Tea Party favorite in California, but that hasn’t helped move DeVore’s numbers out of third place, as the trend lines show. The sudden drop of Campbell into the low twenties (or lower, to 19% in the latest Magellan survey) has entirely benefited Fiorina. Campbell’s one winning argument, his head-to-head performance against Boxer, also seems to have dissipated:

Fiorina does about the same against Boxer now, a deficit of seven points, but improving over time:

Boxer faces her own challenge against Mickey Kaus, who has run a gadfly primary campaign. Kaus tacks to the right on immigration while also skewering Boxer on performance. Boxer should win handily, but Kaus has made his point. By the end of the day, we should see a Fiorina vs Boxer match that will be a good test for the anti-incumbent mood in the nation, along with the a measure of just how fed up Californians have become with the status quo of Democratic leadership.

The gubernatorial primary has been more clear cut for the past few weeks. Steve Poizner appeared to get within striking distance of Meg Whitman, and he has picked up more support, but the former eBay CEO has a commanding 20-point lead in the polling aggregate:

Unfortunately, Whitman’s momentum against likely Democratic nominee Jerry Brown reversed itself this spring:

Poizner has actually picked up a little ground against Brown, but is still eleven points back:

It looks as though the GOP has its work cut out for itself in both races, no matter who gets the nominations. California is still more liberal than conservative, and the power bases of Los Angeles and San Francisco carry a disproportionate weight in state-wide elections.

Comments

While economics is the “science of the statesman” …polls appear to be the “science of the blogger” and Ed, you are a master. Nice work.–providing the best evidence and analyzing it soberly (or not ?) is appreciated.

ted c on June 8, 2010 at 9:35 AM

If the people of California vote Progressive this election cycle, they will have sealed their fate.

Keemo on June 8, 2010 at 9:35 AM

im nervous.

moonbatkiller on June 8, 2010 at 9:36 AM

An exercise in futility.

Ca. is lost economically.

They are a failed state.

The “R” that wins will wind up being like Shwarzy.

Let’s look at Arnold:

Pro-abort, pro-gay marriage, anti-Az law, pro-HCR law, pro-Obama, pro-amnesty, big spender, anti-drilling, pro-Cap and Trade, AGW believer, clueless and no-balls.

YAY!

artist on June 8, 2010 at 9:38 AM

the status quo of Democratic leadership

That’s “leadership”.

Democrats couldn’t lead a starving dog to a filet minon.

The only thing Democrat pols are good at is having the press on their side and that takes no effort on their part.

NoDonkey on June 8, 2010 at 9:41 AM

I say “Demon!”, you say “Sheep!”…

Demon!

Abby Adams on June 8, 2010 at 9:41 AM

Keemo on June 8, 2010 at 9:35 AM

Their fate is already sealed. They just don’t know it yet. Wait until all of those social programs have to be cut.

Johnnyreb on June 8, 2010 at 9:44 AM

and the hurricane gathers…..

ted c on June 8, 2010 at 9:50 AM

“In the Senate, three Republicans are vying for the chance to unseat Barbara Boxer,……”

That’s SENATOR BOXER to you Mr. Morrissey….I believe she’s earned that.

Rovin on June 8, 2010 at 9:52 AM

Keemo on June 8, 2010 at 9:35 AM

They’re counting on a federal bailout at this point. Ahnuld’s even got it factored into his budget. I don’t think they’ll get it though since Obama would create a national backlash against California that would make the anti-Arizona sentiment look like child’s play.

Doughboy on June 8, 2010 at 9:53 AM

Doughboy on June 8, 2010 at 9:53 AM

since when has any backlash of any kind ever dissuaded the top ass kicker from moving forward with any stupid agenda item? Healthcare? nope, TARP? nope. GM/Chrysler and. …nope.

ted c on June 8, 2010 at 9:56 AM

As I prepare to vote in Orange County, I ask for your prayers, Ed and the rest of you who are so inclined. I know well that this is not my kingdom. Increasingly and alarmingly, the state where I was born and raised is not my California, either.

Terrie on June 8, 2010 at 10:03 AM

Keemo on June 8, 2010 at 9:35 AM

I would remind my dear friend from Montana that “we” Californians did vote down Prop 1A. It’s a start.

Rovin on June 8, 2010 at 10:03 AM

Look what happens when an entire state is stoned. This is the first time in history that an economic system failed because all of the inhabitants are hallucinating.

Haunches on June 8, 2010 at 10:05 AM

Cities carrying elections year after year in state after state has become a problem. There should be some way for this to be balanced and prevent rural areas and rural voters from becoming what amounts to dis-enfranchised, though what this might be is beyond me. It’s gotten so that Parties only have to win the cities and not bother with any where else. MA/Boston has become New England’s living example of this phenomenom. I realize there is a larger concentration of people in the cities but very often rural and urban voters have very different needs and interests and rural interests are often lost in the shuffle.

jeanie on June 8, 2010 at 10:07 AM

These are runaway primaries, frankly.

It’s interesting that Blanche is going to lose, apparently, in AR.

AnninCA on June 8, 2010 at 10:09 AM

ted c on June 8, 2010 at 9:56 AM

Good point. I still think even Obama would be too afraid of the political ramifications of taking money from the 49(or 56) other states to bail out California.

Doughboy on June 8, 2010 at 10:11 AM

Jeanie:

It worked just the opposite until the early 60s when the supreme court changed the way that congressional districts were drawn so that the geographical rural districts didn’t carry the majority of the weight.

I blame this one decision on the gradual downfall of the country.

Haunches on June 8, 2010 at 10:11 AM

Rovin on June 8, 2010 at 9:52 AM

Anyone who calls that corrupt dolt Boxer “Babs” has my vote.

NoDonkey on June 8, 2010 at 10:11 AM

Doughboy on June 8, 2010 at 10:11 AM

well, I would hope so too, but hope isn’t a course of action and the facts are that BHO is willing to soak 265 million people to fund healthcare for 15 million, so …. I’d give Arnold’s chances of getting a presidentially directed bailout at 1 in 3.

ted c on June 8, 2010 at 10:13 AM

If Boxer goes back to Washington, then California will get what they deserve. She is as intellectually bankrupt as Peloser and Reid. Watching Reid and Michelle exercise with those school kids was hysterical. If Reid is that desperate, he must be toast.

volsense on June 8, 2010 at 10:16 AM

Where’s the Nevada thread!???

gaius on June 8, 2010 at 10:16 AM

I was born in California and lived all but five of my 60 years here.I can still remember a day when Ca. was a Conservative State. Remember this was the home of Ronald Reagan.Only the Coast has the whacko libs. Unfortunately that is where the majority lives. There are a lot of us Conservatives around.Just not enough. I’ll continue to vote as I have every election since I was 18.I will not give up.

sandee on June 8, 2010 at 10:16 AM

Terrie on June 8, 2010 at 10:03 AM

After 23 yrs at the O.C. Register, I’m back in my native Texas, but I miss Orange County and I’ll pray that what made Orange County and California so special will be restored, but I fear it never will be.

cartooner on June 8, 2010 at 10:17 AM

An exercise in futility.

Ca. is lost economically.

They are a failed state.

artist on June 8, 2010 at 9:38 AM

We’re not quite dead yet!

pseudonominus on June 8, 2010 at 10:35 AM

I am just glad that the robo calls will stop for a few weeks!

Once again, the GOP here in The Republic of Kalifornia is throwing RINOs at the dire situation hoping that this time they will do something right. No horse in the race…again.

InTheBellyoftheBeast on June 8, 2010 at 10:39 AM

BTW – I am a public school teacher home on un-paid furlough today. Sadly, few of my colleagues see the irony of this and continue to vote the state into the dumper.

InTheBellyoftheBeast on June 8, 2010 at 10:45 AM

As an Indy, I’m requesting a dem ballot to vote for Kaus as a protest. Whitman has it sewn up. I saw her last week and she seemed to have a little more fire in the belly, but who knows what Brown will come up with?

How pathetic to have him as governor again. This is the best the Dems can do here?

PattyJ on June 8, 2010 at 10:48 AM

California is beyond redemption as the article that Artist cited states.

Carly Fiorina is the best California can expect in 2010. The way the state is changing, by 2016 she will be unelectable.

bw222 on June 8, 2010 at 10:54 AM

Haunches on June 8, 2010 at 10:05 AM

Hey, carefull with that “all” statement. Many of us are working our butts off trying to make a change. And I can tell that even in my heavily democrat district, our conservative platform is very well recieved. Yes, it’s an uphill battle, but the folks I am working with are not crying about how tough it is, instead working harder. I was at a press conference with Devore (Great guy BTW) and my guy Nick Popaditch running for CA-51 on Saturday. Real dedication, both of these Veterans. I would ask everyone in the country to keep in mind there are many of us working on solutions and not giving up. Follow the link in my sig, or just do a search on Nick, you will be impressed!

JusDreamin on June 8, 2010 at 11:00 AM

jeanie on June 8, 2010 at 10:07 AM

Agreed.
Illinois-once you get out of the Chicago area-is actually fairly conservative.
Unfortunately, Chicago decides the elections…and we’ve all seen how great that’s turned out.

annoyinglittletwerp on June 8, 2010 at 11:02 AM

IT’S CALIFORNIA for goodness sake! The nanny etitlement state extrodinaire! Since most of the working population has to work doubly hard to cover the expenses of the dead wood that languish on hand outs, they have a harder time getting to the polls! Anyone who stands to have a hand out taken away will clog the polling places, it will be like the 1st and 15th of the month when the welfare checks come in.

(I sadly had to explain that to my little one when he asked why there were people lined up outside the door to the bank at 8 in the morning. What was funnier is when he asked if why they didn’t want to work. Kids say/ask the darnedest things.)

PatriotPete on June 8, 2010 at 11:04 AM

I voted absentee several weeks ago. Whitman, Campbell for me. Blah blah RINO, whatever. Democrats are thisclose to 2/3rds majority in the legislature, and there is no way in hell I’d let them have 2/3rds + Jerry Brown.

There are more conservatives here than in any state, and unlike conservatives in BFE, we actually make a difference.

Apologetic California on June 8, 2010 at 11:09 AM

It’s annoying how many anti-California bigots there are on Hot Air.

John the Libertarian on June 8, 2010 at 11:14 AM

I’ve seen Carly speak in person. And I was DAMN impressed.

It was a business convention, and the topics were not political. But she held our attention, and seemed to have everyone in agreement with her. I was very surprised – I had a cynical attitude going into the meeting.

So, I’m going to be optimistic about this. If anyone has a chance of beaing Boxer, it’s Carly.

Let’s roll…

connertown on June 8, 2010 at 11:18 AM

It’s annoying how many anti-California bigots there are on Hot Air.

John the Libertarian on June 8, 2010 at 11:14 AM

Many are in crappier states than California, and whose voting patterns are no better, and even worse than California. I hate white flighters, the little losers that decide to flee Cali and diss the state in their Montana hovel. Cali conservatives here may be outnumbered, but we make a difference knowing that the odds are against us. There are no other state besides Texas that continue to contribute to conservatism more than California.

Apologetic California on June 8, 2010 at 11:31 AM

The first graph Ed put up is a REAL hockey stick graph. I just knew there was one out there somewhere.

platypus on June 8, 2010 at 11:34 AM

If we elect Jerry Brown as governor, you can just throw in the towel. We’re too stupid to survive.

rrpjr on June 8, 2010 at 11:36 AM

And on that note – JB ans rerun gov – I will go vote then it will be home to take a much needed shower.

InTheBellyoftheBeast on June 8, 2010 at 11:58 AM

jeanie on June 8, 2010 at 10:07 AM

This problem is not limited to just california, take a close look at this map a notice the locations of the blue clumps on what is essntially a feild of red.

Every “city” in the nation, what have become more or less hand-out distribution centers, is overwhelmingly blue. The broad swath of ares that could still be considered “rugged individualist” are decidedly red. I know that I am painting wiyth an overly broad brush here, but the pattern is none the less unmistakable.

Jussayin!

Archimedes on June 8, 2010 at 12:01 PM

Let’s hear it for Conservative ladies: Go Carly! Go Whitman!

Jenfidel on June 8, 2010 at 12:03 PM

“Cali conservatives here may be outnumbered”

If you are from California, you don’t call it “Cali” … are you a transplant?

But there are signs of hope. There is a growing public backlash against the public employee unions who are seen as having bought and paid for politicians who have bankrupt the state and local governments.

The change is bipartisan, too. But what will be interesting to see is how the election plays out in November if our economic situation continues to deteriorate. People around where I live don’t blame Arnold for the budget problems, they blame the legislature, so that is a good thing.

crosspatch on June 8, 2010 at 12:03 PM

Just voted in Cali. My choices (Poizner & DeVore) will probably lose, but it still looks a whole lot rosier than to be a demoncrat. Moonbeam Brown and Ma’am Boxer will be in retirement come January 2011.

One last comment: Barbara, when you pack up and leave DC DO NOT RETURN TO CALI, WE DON’T WANT YOU HERE!

jbh45 on June 8, 2010 at 12:05 PM

Apologetic California on June 8, 2010 at 11:31 AM

Thank you for that AC. It does get a little frustrating sometimes, but I am also encouraged by the response from MANY of the people I talk to. And yes indeed, we do make a difference. And I can tell you this, regardless of outcomes from tonight’s primary results, I will be back at it tomorrow. Oh, and BTW, my guy is going to win. Great Nick quote: “Marines don’t get into fights they don’t intend to win”

JusDreamin on June 8, 2010 at 12:05 PM

Visit Arizona, skip California

kirkill on June 8, 2010 at 12:06 PM

Apologetic California on June 8, 2010 at 11:09 AM

Now, come on! Surely you’re not referring to those of us who don’t live on either coast out here in Flyover Country as BFE?!?

Regarding CA, my understanding is that once you get out of L.A. and San Fran, the state votes pretty Conservative and Republican.

Jenfidel on June 8, 2010 at 12:06 PM

Jenfidel on June 8, 2010 at 12:03 PM

These two are not true conservatives. They are just clouding up the primary.

jbh45 on June 8, 2010 at 12:08 PM

These two are not true conservatives. They are just clouding up the primary.

jbh45 on June 8, 2010 at 12:08 PM

Don’t know that much about Whitman, but I know she’s better than Poizner.
As for Fiorina, she is indeed a *true* conservative.
In fact, she got the endorsements from the Susan B. Anthony List and National Right to Life for being pro-Life that Devore did not!
So, she’s more truly a social conservative than he is.

Jenfidel on June 8, 2010 at 12:12 PM

Archimedes on June 8, 2010 at 12:01 PM

I’d be willing to bet a strong majority of these metro areas are chock-full of public employees/unions who donate millions to the liberal democrat machine. This is the mechanism that feeds the beast of collectivism.

Rovin on June 8, 2010 at 12:16 PM

Archimedes on June 8, 2010 at 12:01 PM

Rovin on June 8, 2010 at 12:16 PM

Well that kinda goes without sayin, other than AFSCME, Teachers,Cops/Fire etc, how many rural jobs are unionized? Perhaps 1-3% generously.

Archimedes on June 8, 2010 at 12:22 PM

I suppose most in my precinct voted by mail or at one of the early stations. I was the only voter at the polling station at around 8:45 am local.

crosspatch on June 8, 2010 at 12:24 PM

If you are from California, you don’t call it “Cali” … are you a transplant?

crosspatch on June 8, 2010 at 12:03 PM

California is short on funds, but plenty of syllables :p While there is movement towards less libtardation, it’s a looong climb out for the GOP in this state. They’ve been hemorrhaging registration numbers even to this very day. The public union mess here though is getting plenty of coverage, and that’s horrible for the Grand Daddy Pimp of all unionistas, the man who organized public employee unions–Jerry Brown.

JusDreamin on June 8, 2010 at 12:05 PM

Most of my Facebook wall are a bunch of libtards (in my 20s). They are soooo quiet on their updates. Little to no posts, and some are posting the latest public union outrages. No one except a libtard that lives in DC posts anything remotely positive about Obama. Big change. To support Obama is to be embarrassed by it. So yes, I’m even encouraged by the silence of people I don’t talk to! I’m gonna vote straight GOP ticket (except if Orly Taitz win the GOP nom for Sec. of State. No I’m not joking, she’s one of the two running for it. If Damon Dunn wins the GOP nom for Sec. of State there’ll be more black people on the GOP ticket than the Dem one.) and do them fancy in-house campaign calls for Whitman/Fiorina (who I didn’t vote for, but she’ll win).

Apologetic California on June 8, 2010 at 12:27 PM

Remember to vote NO on Proposition 14.

Y-not on June 8, 2010 at 12:27 PM

Fellow Californians: Who’s the best choice for Lt. Gov.? Maldonado is the only one I’ve even heard of…

Y-not on June 8, 2010 at 12:32 PM

We are SO screwed.

Bob's Kid on June 8, 2010 at 12:33 PM

Just came back from voting in Orange County. I’m an independent Tea Partier with a Decline To State registration. I was going to take a Democratic primary form just so I could vote for Mickey Kaus, but I woke up this morning with a terrible sense of dread. I took the Republican ballot so I could vote for Damon Dunn for Sec State. If Orly Taitz wins we will be subjected to non-stop birther-hysteria until Nov 2.

motionview on June 8, 2010 at 12:34 PM

“Maldonado is the only one I’ve even heard of…”

Lt. Gov. doesn’t matter. That position has absolutely no power to do anything which means you can write in the hobo up the street if you like.

crosspatch on June 8, 2010 at 12:35 PM

InTheBellyoftheBeast on June 8, 2010 at 10:45 AM

Oh, my, this is so true. When my colleagues whine about the 9 furlough days we have to take next year, I always say “well, I didn’t vote for those yahoos up in the Sacramento, did you?” They then remind me that the gube is a Republican, and I respond that a) first of all the rot precedes Arnold by quite a bit, and b) he’s not a conservative, no matter that he has a R after his name. It’s the legislature, and I don’t see that changing any time soon, unfortunately.

Bob's Kid on June 8, 2010 at 12:43 PM

How about this guy: SAM AANESTAD

Y-not on June 8, 2010 at 12:44 PM

crosspatch on June 8, 2010 at 12:24 PM

Where are you at cross?
I’ve spoken to quite a few people that have voted by mail, seems like way more than ever before. I guess I’m kind of old fashioned about it. And this may sound a bit strange, but I rather like telling people “I’m off to the polls” or “I’ll be leaving early today to make sure I get to vote”. Something of a statement I guess.

JusDreamin on June 8, 2010 at 12:45 PM

I prefer to vote in person, too, JusDreamin. For one thing, I do not trust the mail.

Y-not on June 8, 2010 at 12:49 PM

Y-not on June 8, 2010 at 12:49 PM

Good instincts. My daughter (Ranger Emily at Yellowstone) didn’t get her absentee ballot even though she requested it weeks ago. This is the second time that has happened to her with Sacramento County. She’s miffed. I haven’t asked my son if he got his over in Norway.

Bob's Kid on June 8, 2010 at 12:54 PM

My wife and I are small business owners in L.A. county, and we barely survived last year’s economic downturn. We went from 14 employees down to 8, and it was really heartwrenching to have to let them go — except for a couple who blamed us rather than the geniuses who brought the economy and our state to its knees. One employee blasted us for not providing a several-thousand-dollar severence package, all the while knowing my wife and I were barely keeping the doors open and hadn’t been taking a salary for the past 8 months. We found out later she had called several of our business partners to tell them what terrible people we are.

The sense of entitlement in this area of California is palpable and pervasive. The other day at a gas station I had a guy in an SEIU t-shirt offer me a pittance for my classic VW that he was admiring, then tell me I was greedy when I turned him down — I’m not making this up!

We’re still not taking a salary but bsuiness has turned around and I believe we’re going to make it if we keep our wits about us. I’d like to move our business somewhere else, but we’re in too deep financially for it to make sense and there’s no way we could abandon our remaining employees, most of whom have been with us for 10+ years.

California used to be a dream, but it’s quickly becoming a nightmare. Just like anywhere, there are good people and bad people. Don’t write off California, we are all in this together.

UndercoverInLA on June 8, 2010 at 1:06 PM

Look no further than CA to see our future. When the takers out number the makers, this is the outcome. No matter how hard you try, you won’t be able to overcome the voters who want more of other people’s money at the expense of economic opportunity and personal freedom. Hard working conservatives flee for greener pastures, the system collapses, and, eventually, the liberal parasites follow them to other states where they can continue to feed freely on the fruit of other peoples labor.

The one wildcard is the federal government who, with increasing power, can turn every state into CA prematurely. There isn’t much time left. Wake up America, before it’s too late for all of us.

ClanDerson on June 8, 2010 at 1:07 PM

The sense of entitlement in this area of California is palpable and pervasive.

This is true. My husband and I moved here from Indiana almost 4 years ago for his job. He has a staff of about 35 people. He’s highly experienced at HR and management with much of that experience coming from jobs in Indiana and Texas, but the kinds of stuff he’s had to deal with here with his staff is unreal.

We are actually about to move out of this state for a better job opportunity for him (I’ve been unemployed for two years – ugh!), but I feel for you. I tend to be an optimist and believe that things can turn around and I hope they do for your sake. I think there are a lot of nice people in California, away from the city centers of LA and SF, but this state is not going to right itself until it fixes the illegal immigrant problem and shrinks the government.

I’m looking forward to voting today as my farewell gift to the State.

Y-not on June 8, 2010 at 1:17 PM

“I don’t care what the neighbors say…”
– Led Zeppelin

mojo on June 8, 2010 at 1:25 PM

Rovin on June 8, 2010 at 10:03 AM

Yes, and in that very same election we also passed a bond measure that directed funds towards researching the construction of a high-speed rail line.

Not “build” a high-speed rail line, “research”. We basically told Sacramento that they can spend gobs of money we don’t have on something we don’t need, and the damn thing still won’t get built.

No, building the thing will take several more bond measures and in all likelihood we’ll be sitting here in twenty years with no rail line but billions more in municipal debt.

If that’s not the definition of “batshit insane”, I don’t know what is.

TheMightyMonarch on June 8, 2010 at 1:25 PM

“but the kinds of stuff he’s had to deal with here with his staff is unreal.”

One typical game is to go out on “stress disability” until you use up your benefits, then go back to work long enough to reset them, then go back out on “stress disability” again. You just need to find a doctor qualified to mark you as “disabled” due to “stress”.

In the meantime, while you are collecting disability for stress, you can open up a legal pot “dispensary” and sell dope for a living.

crosspatch on June 8, 2010 at 1:47 PM

The sense of entitlement in this area of California is palpable and pervasive.

I have this conversation regularly with my retired parents, both conservatives and lifelong state employees (!). They don’t seem to grasp the unsustainability of their nearly 100% pension and lifetime medical benefits. They both retired in their early 60s (practically unheard of in state employee terms) and could probably still be working if the pension system didn’t make early retirement so damned easy.

There seems to be no concept of the cost to the state of providing for their medical care in their retirement (which is substantial, both are diabetic and one is a cancer survivor), as well as the concept that in order for them to receive their 90-100% salary in pension that they must be unwitting participants in a Ponzi scheme that will ultimately steal not only from the private sector, but to the younger state workers contributing to it.

They may luck out and not see the collapse in state finances in their lifetime, but my wife and I as private sector folks sure as hell will.

TheMightyMonarch on June 8, 2010 at 1:47 PM

“Not “build” a high-speed rail line, “research”. ”

Heh, entire careers can be made out of California construction projects. The Eastern span of the San Francisco – Oakland bay bridge has been under construction for what, 10 years now? It only took 3 years to build the entire bridge end to end with 1930′s technology. Now with modern technology, we can do in decades what it used to take months to accomplish with pencil, paper, and a sliderule.

crosspatch on June 8, 2010 at 1:50 PM

“They don’t seem to grasp the unsustainability of their nearly 100% pension and lifetime medical benefits.”

Yeah, like every time they get an increase in their check, we have to take a cut in ours. The public sector needs to be on defined contribution plans, not defined benefit. The private sector shed defined benefit plans in the 1980′s.

crosspatch on June 8, 2010 at 1:53 PM

cartooner on June 8, 2010 at 10:17 AM

We miss your cartoons! What a treat to find you at Hot Air and Political Bastards. I was a Register subscriber all the years they carried your work and remain a subscriber during the newspaper’s continuing decline.

Terrie on June 8, 2010 at 1:55 PM

In the fact is stranger than fiction category: News report: Schwarzenegger’s first ballot rejected for voting for two Senate candidates. Not surprising. It must be hard for him to decide who is most like him.

Chuck DeVore posted that on FB. Hilarious

Sultry Beauty on June 8, 2010 at 2:07 PM

Today in SoCal we are experiencing swarms of small earthquakes along the San Andreas fault. Maybe it’s a foot-stomping product of GOP tantrums as we decide whether to vote for Whitman, Romney’s phony conservative, or Poizner, who is McClintock’s.

Hold-your-nose electoral compromises have been the golden state rule more often than not. But the exceptions include two of the most influential conservative thinkers and candidates evah: Ronald Reagan and Bruce Hershcensohn. Hate on California all you want and the natives will sympathize, but you cannot improve on our best, regrettably relegated to the past though it may be.

Terrie on June 8, 2010 at 2:30 PM

Chuck DeVore posted that on FB. Hilarious

Sultry Beauty on June 8, 2010 at 2:07 PM

Just saw that report on the noon news.

‘Bout sums up his last four years.

The Ugly American on June 8, 2010 at 3:11 PM

The MFM is all-pervasive. Today on the radio they said that Brown and Boxer were running “unopposed” in the Democratic primary. On my sample ballot there are 6 others running for gov besides Brown, and 2 others besides Boxer running for senate. I’m voting for Mickey Kaus and anybody other than the establishment candidate.

Pervygrin on June 8, 2010 at 3:23 PM

I voted earlier today. Very light turnout based on the number of signatures in the book. That was at about 11 am.

Y-not on June 8, 2010 at 3:44 PM

Don’t think of it as a city/rural thing… think of it as a Cold Civil War. Battlelines start at the Interstate Bypass Divides. Soon we shall be one fine Shays away from remembering our history.

ajacksonian on June 8, 2010 at 4:42 PM

Y-not on June 8, 2010 at 3:44 PM

I looked at the book and saw very little signatures and it was light at the polling place this morning. What I did notice on the book since my name was down the end of the list to sign, was that in one of the boxes in said “voted by mail” and I noticed most of the people listed had that in the box. Most Republicans work and the big push tends to be after work. I could go in this morning because I’m laid off. HAH!

Sultry Beauty on June 8, 2010 at 4:53 PM

That’s a good point, Sultry. I didn’t make a note of the vote by mail box.

Y-not on June 8, 2010 at 5:03 PM

Inspiration.

Sultry Beauty on June 8, 2010 at 5:34 PM

Keemo on June 8, 2010 at 9:35 AM

Amen!

That’s why Cali conservatives have to pull out all the stops and do whatever we can to save the state.

I voted for Meg Whitman, DeVore, and Strickland.

motionview on June 8, 2010 at 12:34 PM

I voted for Dunn.

I can’t stand the idea of a birther nut like Orly Taitz getting into office.

Conservative Samizdat on June 8, 2010 at 6:01 PM

I’m heading out soon to pull the lever then head downtown to party like it’s November! You can catch me on the 10pm KUSI report, I’ll be the one with an all-knowing grin…

JusDreamin on June 8, 2010 at 6:19 PM

Keemo on June 8, 2010 at 9:35 AM

You’re correct and I would also add that if California elects Jerry “Moonbeam” Brown as their Gov AGAIN then they have not only sealed their fate but they will have DESERVED the fate they have sealed for themselves.

They will have no one else to blame although I’m certain when California’s economy completely collapses the left will find a way to somehow blame BOOOOSH!

Liberty or Death on June 8, 2010 at 6:24 PM

NoDonkey on June 8, 2010 at 9:41 AM

The press is on their side? And Jesus is a Christian.

leftnomore on June 8, 2010 at 8:22 PM

Including the 40% of us who consistently vote against these freaks? We’re numerous, but it’s not enough against the city-dwelling guilt-ridden libs, the obnoxiously loud and powerful state employees’ unions, the leech class, and various idiots who never saw a bond measure they didn’t like (who apparently believe those things are funded by money-crapping unicorns).

You’ll find quite a few of us out here, mainly in the interior as well as scattered throughout the suburbs, but we’ve been gerrymandered into silence. If it weren’t for my family out here I would have packed up the wife and dog and skedaddled to Wyoming by now.

TheMightyMonarch on June 8, 2010 at 9:10 PM

Apparently, I’m not allowed to refer to myself as a dreadlocked d*ke.

Duly noted.