Norah O’Donnell: WH staffers having oil nightmares

posted at 11:36 am on June 8, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Isn’t this the most tone-deaf defense since Tony Hayward declared that he wanted his life back? Mark Finkelstein at Newsbusters captures this moment from MS-NBC’s Norah O’Donnell during her appearance on Morning Joe today, in which she attempted to backfill the missing “I feel your pain” campaign from the White House. She tells the panel in an emotional moment that the Obama administration has been consumed by the Deepwater Horizon blowout and Gulf crisis, before appearing to choke up at the heartrending nature of the staff’s predicament:

NORAH O’DONNELL: I think what’s noteworthy and interesting is that the White House is trying to make the point that they’re failing to communicate how they’re doing on these issues. That the reason the the president’s poll numbers slipped and even as we saw earlier about people think that the president’s handled this worse than Katrina; the government has handled this worse than Katrina. That it’s a failure to communicate these issues. I think that’s part of it in this sort of dispersed media.

But, I mean, I’ve spoken with White House staffers who tell me that they wake up in the middle of the nightmares of gushing, of the gushing oil. I mean, it’s consuming to be in the White House. And all of this different problems, and this oil thing which seems to eclipse everything. It eclipses everything.

It’s funny, but I don’t recall anyone at MS-NBC wondering how George W. Bush’s staff slept at night during the Katrina disaster. Nor should they have; it’s an absurd, almost surreal moment. People join the executive branch to deal with these kinds of emergencies. It’s their job. And in this case, more and more people have reached the conclusion that they’re not terribly good at it.

The timing is also a little odd, too, considering the release of the “beer Pong” pic. Like Allahpundit, I don’t at all begrudge the White House from getting a little down time, but that underscores the fact that these people work for a living at the apex of political power. Cut loose on a Sunday evening, but get the job done when it needs to get done — and don’t cry to MS-NBC about nightmares of gushing oil. The people of the Gulf have that nightmare 24/7 these days, and we’re a whole lot more sympathetic to their pain.

Finally, let’s reprise the Obama response pictorial, just to remind O’Donnell of what consumes this particular President. Hint: it’s not gushing oil.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Awww. . . where was all that touchy-feely empathy during the Bush years? No one understands the Obamabots. They work so hard for the “people” and no one cares. Jeez, what a bunch of cry babies!
Thank God there is only another 957 days of this train wreck.

scullymj on June 8, 2010 at 12:38 PM

No one has suffered from this oil spill as much as Obama. I actually heard some flack state that line on Fox News.

Poor O…

karl9000 on June 8, 2010 at 12:39 PM

Obama will continue to suffer until his impending impeachment or resignation. Filthy POS Obama.

Reality Checker on June 8, 2010 at 12:45 PM

What this says is that the white house is full of children, not up to the task of governing – all of them. It also says something about the media trying to make excuses for a political party, instead of reporting news.

Vashta.Nerada on June 8, 2010 at 12:55 PM

Perhaps the White House and O’Donnell should bend over. I can introduce them to some ‘pain’. What BS. When are the new owners going to shut down MSNBC?

GarandFan on June 8, 2010 at 12:58 PM

The rest of it is barf material because it is the WH’s job to handle crisis of all kinds but this statement is scary because she is in an underhanded way calling for control of the media. Look for more of it.

And if the frat boys and girls can’t handle crisis and want to go back to beer pong, well, resign. The country will be better off for it.

journeyintothewhirlwind on June 8, 2010 at 12:58 PM

So you’re saying Norah’s good at polling the staff?

NoDonkey on June 8, 2010 at 12:20 PM

Can you imagine being married to O’Donnell and have to listen to her blab on an on, night after night? I’ll bet she’s extremely high maintenance. And she’s dumber than sh*t.

BuckeyeSam on June 8, 2010 at 12:59 PM

“Failure to communicate” my eye. It’s a failure of leadership.

Kenosha Kid on June 8, 2010 at 1:11 PM

Is it O’Donnel or Campbell Brown that has the three strike father?

jukin on June 8, 2010 at 1:16 PM

Haven’t read through all of the comments, so this may have already been said.

But damn, Norah O’Donnell is gorgeous.

Dumb as a brick though.

UltimateBob on June 8, 2010 at 1:21 PM

Campbell Brown’s dad is the one who served time in a federal prison for lying to the FBI.

bw222 on June 8, 2010 at 1:25 PM

Vashta.Nerada on June 8, 2010 at 12:55 PM

What scares me is that world leaders see this and will take full advantage of this administration’s incompetence at some point in the near future.

scalleywag on June 8, 2010 at 1:28 PM

I woke up early and tuned in to Morning Joe at 5 am and it was totally weird to see her sitting there and from the time she opened her mouth it was nothing but excusing for Obambi. I mean from the get-go. I didn’t last 20 minutes of that torture.

Marcus on June 8, 2010 at 1:41 PM

MSDNC: Don’t blame us, wingnuts – we just advocated for, urged for, pushed and pulled for, smeared for and attacked for this President night and day for years.

Good Lt on June 8, 2010 at 1:50 PM

BuckeyeSam on June 8, 2010 at 12:59 PM

Yeah she looks great but she’s definitely the type who if you don’t agree with every damn thing that comes out of her mouth, she’s onto someone else.

I never got along with chicks like that, especially liberal ones.

NoDonkey on June 8, 2010 at 1:52 PM

Obama’s only self-acknowledged weakness is his failure to communicate to an increasingly skeptical public just how awesome he is.

Pathetic. This isn’t elementary school; “A for effort” ain’t part of the report card. In the real world, Captain B+, we expect results. Success isn’t measured by forcing through bogus stimulus bills and health care monstrosities, but in how those things perform once passed. By that measure, he’s an epic failure.

sulla on June 8, 2010 at 2:10 PM

Well, it is hard for him to talk about himself.

For more than 24 hours straight, anyway.

NoDonkey on June 8, 2010 at 2:16 PM

Maybe they shouldn’t sleep so much.

LarryG on June 8, 2010 at 2:39 PM

A “very deep hole” exists in the heads of Norah and her dim witted colleagues at NBC et al.

SmallGovtGuy on June 8, 2010 at 2:54 PM

Has O’Donnell ever cried about the nightmares Iraq/Afghanistan veterans might experience, which are probably a lot worse than Barry et al’s oil spill dreams? I’d guess not. That woman is utterly worthless. Go away Norah. You’re done.

WarEagle01 on June 8, 2010 at 2:58 PM

The adminstration and the MSM get more ridiculous every time they open their mouths.
A failure to communicate?Isn’t Bambi the Great Orator who speaks so eloquently?But he can’t tell the people”how they’re doing on these issues”?
The MSM’s excuses for Bambi are getting more assinine and juvenile than his own excuses.Of course he only has one—It’s Bush’s fault.

DDT on June 8, 2010 at 3:04 PM

Oil nightmares?

It must suck when they realized that BOGU applies to them.

ajacksonian on June 8, 2010 at 3:18 PM

Lay off! The girl needs pudding. That’s all. :)

Blake on June 8, 2010 at 4:13 PM

Just fill the hole.

Wade on June 8, 2010 at 4:16 PM

DDT on June 8, 2010 at 3:04 PM

It is rather entertaining, in a sad sort of way. Just like Bush was an evil, manipulative genius as well as a buffoon. And just like Cheney couldn’t shoot straight but was also Darth Vader. Obama is a genius and gifted orator, but can’t solve problems or make people understand the issues. He unites the world and raises American prestige, but can’t get cooperation and routinely annoys and harangues his allies, while being mocked and attacked by America’s enemies.

hawksruleva on June 8, 2010 at 4:34 PM

He needs to fill the hole between his huge ears.

Jaibones on June 8, 2010 at 4:37 PM

How does this brain dead little girl keep her job?! These kinds of idiotic comments won’t be so cute when she’s long in the tooth. I suppose Helen Thomas’s lunacy had a certain charm, too, before she started looking like Winston Churchill in drag. Don’t ever age, Nora. Right now you’re dumb and cute. Sooner than you know, though, you’re just gonna be…dumb.

Rational Thought on June 8, 2010 at 4:45 PM

Norah, I’m going to say this as respectfully as I can this to a beautiful woman such as yourself:

Norah, would you please get that…stuff off your face?

BradSchwartze on June 8, 2010 at 4:45 PM

Leftists are all about emotions and talking about your feelings and your problems. They’re very little about actions and solutions. This is why Leftists make good actors but not good legislators.

Sultry Beauty on June 8, 2010 at 4:47 PM

Fine. Obama has been giving me nightmares since the time I saw him deliver his “there is no white America,” “there is no black American” speech.

Captain America on June 8, 2010 at 5:02 PM

This is one of the most disgusting things I have ever seen and read…

Fuzzlenutter on June 8, 2010 at 5:04 PM

Tone death much?? Reminds me a bit of the sentiment that I heard at a conference I attended today for the Social Services for Chicago. I’m working as an intern (for free) this summer at a non-for-profit because paid MBA internships are hard to come by. (Thanks Barry!!) Frankly, some of the people there seemed more concerned about their pay increases than providing the best service to the populations they served. While I empathize with them, they aren’t going through anything different than anyone in the private sector is going through, and it struck me like they felt more put upon.

Illinidiva on June 8, 2010 at 5:06 PM

So BLACK oil gives the WH staff nightmares? RACISTS!!11!!

SouthernGent on June 8, 2010 at 5:24 PM

Thank the Good Lord above this crew wasn’t in charge on 9/11.

txmomof6 on June 8, 2010 at 5:32 PM

If someone would just tell Obama whose ass to kick, this would all be over. Why won’t someone tell the man whose ass he should be kicking?!

aero on June 8, 2010 at 5:38 PM

Great,at a time when we need leadership we get 5-year old children with nightmares.

pgrossjr on June 8, 2010 at 5:42 PM

Gushing oil gives WH staff nightmares.

Lord, what will their reaction be when bombs sart going off all over the country…

That’s the real nightmare.

BobMbx on June 8, 2010 at 6:03 PM

Moronic liberals just slay me.

ultracon on June 8, 2010 at 6:28 PM

I think this proves that Nora is really the sl*t we all felt she was and that she does indeed sleep with Robert Gibbs, Rahm Emmanuel, and David Axelrod, which in turn makes her the obligatory “whore of Babylon.”

Goldy1 on June 8, 2010 at 7:54 PM

They FAILED!

CWforFreedom on June 8, 2010 at 8:00 PM

Haven’t read through all of the comments, so this may have already been said.

But damn, Norah O’Donnell is gorgeous.

Dumb as a brick though.

UltimateBob on June 8, 2010 at 1:21 PM

I thought that too, was kind of surprised. I had never seen what she looked like before. I was expecting to see something more like her sister.

cableguy615 on June 8, 2010 at 8:34 PM

I didn’t listen to a word this O’Donnell chickenhead was saying; as Otis Day would say, I’d hit it. For her husband’s sake, I hope she has a mute button somewhere.

Travis Bickle on June 8, 2010 at 10:06 PM

That’s EXACTLY the same excuse Obama gave about Obamacare. And it’s BS and IT DOESN’T SOLVE ANYTHING.

I don’t believe this. And even if it is true, boo-freaking-hoo. I don’t give a flying f***. When they wake up, they should DO something, not whine.

Jesus. As Instapundit says, the country’s in the very best of hands. What a bunch of incompetent whiners.

JimC on June 8, 2010 at 10:08 PM

You want nightmare: Think of the poor pelicans & dolphins! Think of all the millions of people who make their living in the Gulf! Think of the eleven (and their families) who died during the explosion.

TN Mom on June 8, 2010 at 10:40 PM

Such utter, leftist, bullcrap tripe.

“That the reason the the president’s poll numbers slipped and even as we saw earlier about people think that the president’s handled this worse than Katrina; the government has handled this worse than Katrina.”

Notice how she ‘corrected’ herself; at first, she said that Obama could be bungling this. Then, she had to be more generic, and say “…the government…”. That way, Obama has people he can blame, saying that he did everything right, but his underlings were messing things up for him. If those idiots are having nightmares about the oil gusher, it’s because they know that it could full-well mean that they’re all out of a job, come 2012 (possibly sooner, if impeachment happens). The true nightmare of those that love power, is the dream of losing it. They’re incapable of feeling others’ pain; only their own, and the only way to hurt them is to remove them from their positions of power, and destroy their political careers and reputations.

He loves to beat his chest and brag about how ‘in charge’ he is (Why? Because he won.), and yet neither he, nor his staff know a damned thing about what’s going on. They were too clueless to have the proper measures pre-positioned/on hot standby, prior to the emergency (as they were supposed to have been), he’s too clueless to know that eventually, we’d find out he hadn’t communicated with BP (just like we’d found out he’d ignored McChrystal, after marooning him out in Afghanistan with too few troops and supplies) and he’s too incompetent to funtion as a CINC, and insure that Governor Jindal is getting everything he needs (like those booms nobody’s buying out in Maine). I hope this all bites him in the ass, post-haste, and doesn’t let go, like a rabid pit bull. I hope this dogs his every step, his every decision, and his every political endorsement of some other leftist candidate in whatever state. I hope it costs him his reputation, and makes him an immediate, 1-term lame-duck president.

Or maybe a .75 term lame-duck president. That’d be even better.

That YouTube piece needs to hit NATIONAL TV. AND CABLE. Then when it comes to 2012, it needs to come back. Better yet: every time another crisis hits and the Dalai Obama’s nowhere to be found, make the commercial longer, adding the latest scandal. Soon enough, it’ll turn into an infomercial.

Virus-X on June 8, 2010 at 10:51 PM

Obama has a recurring REM sleep disturbance in which he wakes up every 3 a.m. hearing a phantom phone ringing… and, when he answers it, the naggingly familar female voice on the other end whispers one phrase:

You Ooze You Lose.”

profitsbeard on June 8, 2010 at 11:37 PM

From: The only thing we have to fear is fear itself.

To: I know whose ass to kick.

Dhuka on June 9, 2010 at 12:02 AM

Finally!

That explains the beer-pong!

They were walking drinking in their sleep.

We should tie them neck to toes, and use them for oil-barriers.

Should be enough of them…

docjohn52 on June 9, 2010 at 2:42 AM

Hey Obowma, just use the 17.3% unemployed you created. That’s 18 million UNEMPLOYED WORKERS ON YOUR WATCH AND YOUR ECONOMIC POLICIES sent to clean up the beaches you fail to respond to, some of them ARE getting paid.

You know, YOUR responsibility to clean the coastland?

dthorny on June 9, 2010 at 7:48 AM

What a load. Yeah, they’re dreaming about gushing all right, but the gushing is from the printing presses at the Department of the Treasury. That Obama has it tough. It must be really hard to look like you’re having such a good time at all those parties when you’re worrying about people whose lives are being ruined.

gordo on June 9, 2010 at 3:23 PM